IS NURSING THE RIGHT CAREER FOR ME? :/

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Ramirez114 in Atlanta, Georgia

18 months ago

Okay well i want to know ahead of time about nursing school because i dont want to enter a nursing program and drop out because its too much? There is a nursing program near by where i can get my adn in just 18 months. Which i really like because its not so long in school but i do figure since its a quick path that it will all be fast with math and science.does nursing really involve alot of math ?Okay so i dont know if i feel discouraged about becoming a nurse because i know it involves science and math and throughout high school i have struggled through my science and sort of with my math classes. Should i just go ahead and change my career choice because of this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerry1981 in Dallas, Texas

16 months ago

Perhaps starting of as a Nursing Assistant or medical Assistant would be a better way to ease in the nursing field? Talking to a guidance counselor will answer a few of your questions. If you really want to be a nurse, then you will get through the math and science parts.

A quick search brought up this if your interested in CNA Certification
www.nursing-classes.info/cna-certified-nursing-assistant/cna-certification/

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

16 months ago

Ramirez114 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Okay well i want to know ahead of time about nursing school because i dont want to enter a nursing program and drop out because its too much? There is a nursing program near by where i can get my adn in just 18 months. Which i really like because its not so long in school but i do figure since its a quick path that it will all be fast with math and science.does nursing really involve alot of math ?Okay so i dont know if i feel discouraged about becoming a nurse because i know it involves science and math and throughout high school i have struggled through my science and sort of with my math classes. Should i just go ahead and change my career choice because of this?

I too have always wanted to become a nurse but I know that right now I wouldn't be able to take it on. It is very serious. I passed all my nursing pre-req's and got a letter of acceptance and chickened out! :( I had a lot going on in my life at the time and now, a year later I am thinking about taking the MA program since its only 2 semesters long. Working as a MA, I'm hoping that I can learn from experience and feel more confident about the nursing program. If I decide that nursing isn't for me afterward then I will still have the administrative part of the program to go on.
Good luck to you on your career choice, do what is right for you and nobody else.

SBFairy in Midland, Texas

14 months ago

Depends on how bad you hate math and science and whether or not you are willing to get tutored to get through them. I won't lie to you, I found microbiology, physiology (especially physiology), and statistics to be difficult. I worked really hard and got a tutor for algebra in order to pass. I would also advise you to go directly into an RN to BSN program the minute you finish your ADN if you choose to go the ADN route. I don't know about where you live but in most areas you will find it very difficult to find a new grad job with an ADN. You may have to relocate to some BFE town that no one wants to live in to get your first job. As for whether or not nursing involves a lot of math and science; well, yes it does. The science part, bodily processes and the effects of medications (or surgery) upon those parts is a huge part of your job. If you are giving metoprolol not only do you need to know what it is but you need to know it's effect on the heart rate and blood pressure of your patient as well as potential side effects. Add to that there are times when you will need to give meds based on a patients weight in kilograms and you may only have the weight in pounds. If you are willing to invest in A LOT of hard work and the possibility of moving then go for it. I think Kerry1981's idea of becoming a CNA first is a good idea. You will get to see up close exactly what nurses do and then you can decide if you want to invest the time and money. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennypenny in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

There is a lot to learn for nursing. I've been a nurse for 20 years and it's a difficult course of study. If I were to do it all again, I would not go into nursing. I have seen it change so much in these 20 years and at this point bottom line is money making for the hospital and nursing takes the brunt of the abuse with this, the administration will micro manage everything you do, they want you to be a robot; they no longer want you to think or give your two cents; "Just do you job, Nancy Nurse, as we have told you to, step by step, if you stop and think you will mess up the schedule." They think of ways to roadblock you and your opinion is neither wanted nor heeded from the medical side of things. Good Luck if you decide to study nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.