Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 316)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

t in Toms River, New Jersey

75 months ago

Hi everyone: A client of mine has been a RN, & resides in NYC & is searching for Register Nurse Refresher Courses. My client has been inactive & would like to successfully prepare herself to be Licensed as a Registered professional Nurse in New York City in the state of NY State. she needs to take refresher courses in order to pass the exam. Where are those Refresher Courses located & if you have any suggestions / advise / Guidance as to How she can "jump" start her career once again, please do share them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

darlene in Albany, New York

73 months ago

Try Molloy College in Long Island. They offer a course in the Fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

ahernmarye@aol.com in Newnan, Georgia

58 months ago

looking for refresher courses for rn in Ga

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

I am a foreign nurse graduate, I didn't pass the nclex yet. Can I enroll on a refresher course? Thnks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Denece in Tracy, California

54 months ago

Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re-entry program in my area.
Best of luck to you. I am about to give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nydia in Brooklyn, New York

54 months ago

Denece in Tracy, California said: Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re-entry program in my area.

I think it ashame that ,we have the licence and we have to start as home assistant and work my way up again. I called the school i graduate from and the director of nursing program,couldn't do a .thing 4 me .I took her if i could use there libray n she said only 4 current students.It alot of bullssss.it all about hospital making quick money,they donot have the time 4 mentors

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marcia Cannavino in Alpharetta, Georgia

53 months ago

ahernmarye@aol.com in Newnan, Georgia said: looking for refresher courses for rn in Ga
Contact Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw Ga. They have a terriffic RN Refresher Course they offer on line and in the Class Room Twice a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

Denece in Tracy, California said: Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re-entry program in my area.

Hopefully some of the recruiters will see the need for refresher courses. Many of us have taken a break from nursing for various reasons. OK Nursing leadership step up to the plate and start offering refresher courses in hospitals, clinics and nursing homes and see what happens. Best wishes for a great job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: Hopefully some of the recruiters will see the need for refresher courses. Many of us have taken a break from nursing for various reasons. OK Nursing leadership step up to the plate and start offering refresher courses in hospitals, clinics and nursing homes and see what happens. Best wishes for a great job!

Wouldn't that be great!
I even talked to the BRN only to be told its a "labor issue" and they are unable to become involved. I also talked at some length with a recruiter for traveling nurses, who stated that their limit for time out of hospital work was TWO years. Up to date certifications and CEU's do not count. That means re-entry classes are pointless without clinical time...which does not seem to be offered.
So basically, if you have been out of work more than two to three years your license is no longer worth the plastic its printed on.

Pretty sad situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

Denece,

Let us keep this in view in forums and other places of nursing interest. There are too many valuable nurses that are ready, willing and able to go to work. They (refresher courses) could even be incorporated with Nursing orientation at many facilities. We are on a mission and will prevail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

c.spada@att.net in El Cajon, California

53 months ago

I'm joining your group, I have been an RN for more that 25 yearsmy last job was telephone triage which limits the hands on for 6-7 years and have been looking for a job even in Community Clinics.I'm Bilingual mind you , but they rather complain of nursing shortage that give you some training , after all you never forget certain basics. Unbelievable how rigid the people at HR are !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BONNYE in Schenectady, New York

53 months ago

Really, they think that all our years of work experience and our training magically disappears. Mentally I feel as if I just left. Granted meds are new, but when your working your always researching them. Not every nurse out there knows the drugs, they learn on the job. For that matter, not every new nurse graduate hired has a clue.
I am really for a good orientation program, usually they are 6-8 weeks with a nurse preceptor. That would be the best refresher program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

BONNYE in Schenectady, New York said: YOUR RIGHT, NURSING SHORTAGE? there are alot of skilled nurses out there that have not been active for many years.
I have been out for 14 years, I am good at what I do, but no one will hire you. I have searched for refresher programs, non available. The hospitals should institute a refresher program with their orientation. A year committment to that facility would be required, but it would be to both benefits. Most orientation programs would fit the need required to become refreshed and active.
I have kept my license active, taken the required courses, but it doesnt seem to matter. We all have a good strong work ethic, and the public is missing out on it.

In our area it would serve two good purposes. The orientation programs for many facilities here have been about a week or two of following around another nurse that is stressed out. In turn, the new employee gets to hop in and "wing it"! It is time for employers to take notice. It is not all about productivity. This is serious! From now own when I see the words nursing shortage, it will give me a chance to get this point across. Get a good solid orientation/refresher course and it will be a win/win situation.
Bonnye I am believing that the right people will see this and you will have your job soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

c.spada@att.net in El Cajon, California said: I'm joining your group, I have been an RN for more that 25 yearsmy last job was telephone triage which limits the hands on for 6-7 years and have been looking for a job even in Community Clinics.I'm Bilingual mind you , but they rather complain of nursing shortage that give you some training , after all you never forget certain basics. Unbelievable how rigid the people at HR are !!!!!

Ok we have New York, California and Texas. We need good orientation/refresher courses. It is worth the investment. The nurses that are working, please pass this on at your jobs. There are many nurses that are ready to go to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

6-8 weeks would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

That would be excellent! I know there are probably thousands of us "discarded" RN's who would go a long ways toward filling the shortage. If "they" would only let us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts

53 months ago

They have a refresher course at the college I attended. I have been out for almost two years this summer, but their is no way I can even afford $1,600 without even working. I would like to get my BSN and I would have the time for it. I am about to downgrade myself to a secretary to go back to school. It isn't like I made any money last year so I should be eligible for Financial Aid.

Last month we have money for anything but necessities, and that doesn't include internet and a telephone. Then what? I am so worried. I received a letter from a hospital saying I wasn't qualified, then they turn around and make the position internal after it was internal for months. Guess they don't want to fill positions. Also, I have been forgotten about at interviews and told they wanted one, but they never call back. =/ Very disheartening. I feel like giving up myself really. But, my friends who are nurses say keep the faith. There feels like their isn't any since I have been looking for a job since the summer of last year with 4 years of experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnye in Schenectady, New York

53 months ago

I heard that when the hospital in Virginia hires a nurse who has been out for a while, they include a refresher course as part of their orientation. You would commit to that hospital for one year, but your not paying out of pocket.
Why can't all hospitals do this, it would certainly cut down on the nursing shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor,Texas in Beaumont, Texas

53 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: They have a refresher course at the college I attended. I have been out for almost two years this summer, but their is no way I can even afford $1,600 without even working. I would like to get my BSN and I would have the time for it. I am about to downgrade myself to a secretary to go back to school. It isn't like I made any money last year so I should be eligible for Financial Aid.

Last month we have money for anything but necessities, and that doesn't include internet and a telephone. Then what? I am so worried. I received a letter from a hospital saying I wasn't qualified, then they turn around and make the position internal after it was internal for months. Guess they don't want to fill positions. Also, I have been forgotten about at interviews and told they wanted one, but they never call back. =/ Very disheartening. I feel like giving up myself really. But, my friends who are nurses say keep the faith. There feels like their isn't any since I have been looking for a job since the summer of last year with 4 years of experience.

You hang in there girl. Let's keep this topic going and see if we can come up with some good job leads for you. We all need to stick together and watch out for each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

53 months ago

To aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts.

I know that Fresenius Medical Care gives a lengthy orientation that would probably be a great refresher. If you are interested they have positions listed here on Indeed. This is working with dialysis patients. Wishing you the very best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: To aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts.

I know that Fresenius Medical Care gives a lengthy orientation that would probably be a great refresher. If you are interested they have positions listed here on Indeed. This is working with dialysis patients. Wishing you the very best.

Thanks I will give it a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: Thanks I will give it a try.

They don't have any openings in my state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

52 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: They don't have any openings in my state.

I noticed this ad on Indeed, just wanted to pass it on. RN - Adolescent Detox (Weekend Nurse)
Community Healthlink - Worcester, MA Overview : CHL's MYR (Motivating Youth Recovery) Program is an acute in-patient program providing a therapeutic milieu setting for adolescents who are...
From Community Healthlink - 11 days ago - save job -
block - email - more...
View all Community Healthlink jobs in Worcester, MA - Worcester jobs
Salary Search: RN - Adolescent Detox (Weekend Nurse) salaries in Worcester, MA
More information about Community Healthlink
Related forums: Community Healthlink - Worcester, Massachusetts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent link to this job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: I noticed this ad on Indeed, just wanted to pass it on. RN - Adolescent Detox (Weekend Nurse)
Community Healthlink - Worcester, MA Overview : CHL's MYR (Motivating Youth Recovery) Program is an acute in-patient program providing a therapeutic milieu setting for adolescents who are...
From Community Healthlink - 11 days ago - save job -
block - email - more...
View all Community Healthlink jobs in Worcester, MA - Worcester jobs
Salary Search: RN - Adolescent Detox (Weekend Nurse) salaries in Worcester, MA
More information about Community Healthlink
Related forums: Community Healthlink - Worcester, Massachusetts --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent link to this job

Thanks so much for your help. I had an interview for a Full-Time RN position and found out someone who I confided in for 4 years gave me a bad reference. I guess they weren't suppose to tell me, but I am giving up on Nursing. Good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DeneceV in Tracy, California

52 months ago

Well, at least you got an interview! Best of luck to you. I know the skills learned in nursing transfer to a wide variety of other opportunities outside of healthcare. Sales reps of medical/pharmacologic supplies make a good living or use your fantastic organizational and priority setting skills in whichever field interests you.
There is life after nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kitkat43 in New York, New York

52 months ago

I am having the same difficulties...nurses we are our own worst enemy....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York

51 months ago

BONNYE in Schenectady, New York said: YOUR RIGHT, NURSING SHORTAGE? there are alot of skilled nurses out there that have not been active for many years.
I have been out for 14 years, I am good at what I do, but no one will hire you. I have searched for refresher programs, non available. The hospitals should institute a refresher program with their orientation. A year committment to that facility would be required, but it would be to both benefits. Most orientation programs would fit the need required to become refreshed and active.
I have kept my license active, taken the required courses, but it doesnt seem to matter. We all have a good strong work ethic, and the public is missing out on it.

I believe that Stony BROOK cOLLEGE IN LONG ISLAND has a refresher course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeStcyr in North Haven, Connecticut

51 months ago

I would like to know exactly why a nurse that has never stopped nursing but hasn't had any hospital nursing for 20 years should have to take a full refresher course.? Why can't someone like me just have a course on hospital care to get back in the hospital? I know in the state of Connecticut the refresher courses are a rip off! why all these other state refresher course costs anywhere between $700 to $1200 and the state of Connecticut costs over $2100.00!!!!! lots of greedy people live in Connecticut! can someone help with my dilema, I am now unemployed and really can't afford to fork out over $2000.00 with no guarantee that I will get a job. help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry Jackson in Marietta, Georgia

50 months ago

Here is the cost breakdown for attending Kennesaw State Uni's Refresher course in Georgia
Program Tuition:
Online Course Fee: $1695 OnCampus Course Fee: $1395
Textbooks
Approximately $500
Uniform $50-60
Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening
$78.50
Malpractice/Liability Insurance - Limits of Liability: $1,000,000/3,000,000. Cost
about $89.00 or less.
Health/Accidental Insurance (not sure of cost of that)
Proof of current MMR immunization…- got to pay for that
Annual PPD or Chest x-ray - another expense
Tetanus Series - another expense
Hepatitis B immunization series - another expense
Satisfactory completion of physical examination indicating a good state of health.- There goes another up to $100.00

So that 1695.00 is not what you pay, try adding up all the extras that go with it and we are talking 3 grand?
Kind of a big road block for laid off families! And same here, no idea if this refresher course will open any doors! So this could be a waste of money when it could be used to pay for utilities, food, mortgage that is threatening to foreclose!!!
What a joke. Incidently, I had close to 30 yrs experience but had to stay home these past 5 years to take care of ailing husband.

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas

50 months ago

t in Toms River, New Jersey said: Hi everyone: A client of mine has been a RN, & resides in NYC & is searching for Register Nurse Refresher Courses. My client has been inactive & would like to successfully prepare herself to be Licensed as a Registered professional Nurse in New York City in the state of NY State. she needs to take refresher courses in order to pass the exam. Where are those Refresher Courses located & if you have any suggestions / advise / Guidance as to How she can "jump" start her career once again, please do share them.

I am in California. I took a wonderful course in Texas. They have online and in class courses. I got temporary permit $25 for the clinicals. I went to Texas for Skills Lab and IV portion and clinicals. The clinical site was great and staff very helpful. I feel the cobwebs came right off. I then did renewal. I found a job after a few weeks of sending out resumes with the refresher update on them. Where as nothing before. Not even 1 call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Oh, forgot to say company and cost. It was Professional Healthcare Education Service/PHES. They were $1500 total including insurance and background check. All I had to do was BON fees, CPR, and TB skin test. They let me do payment plan.

nurskug in Schenectady, New York

50 months ago

Molloy College in Rockville Ctr. NY offers RN refreshers courses. Go to Molloycollege.edu search RN Refreshers. It is a wonderful course. I just completed it. Its 6 weeks and $1850.00.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

DeneceV in Tracy, California said: Well, at least you got an interview! Best of luck to you. I know the skills learned in nursing transfer to a wide variety of other opportunities outside of healthcare. Sales reps of medical/pharmacologic supplies make a good living or use your fantastic organizational and priority setting skills in whichever field interests you.
There is life after nursing.

Thanks, the job market is tough for everyone. Still looking for anything at this point. My cell phone will be shut off soon and I won't be living the life I use to live, like being able to pay bills and save. The hopes for owning a home are diminished. These days you have to be perfect to get a mortgage.

It is too bad they don't have financial aid for these refresher courses, like someone who doesn't have a job can just come up with a couple of grand. And I wonder, do they even promise you will get a job. Doubt it. They are even telling New Grads it is tough. And the new nurses that graduated last year who are still looking will now be competing with the ones who just graduated. Fun stuff!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Well no program really promises you a job but, it does make it easier as employees see that you have taken iniative. As far as the money goes, one of my classmates in the Nurse Refresher Program at PHES was on financial aid through the Unemployment group. I think in Texas its called the Texas Workforce. There may be something similar in Massachusetts.

50 months ago

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas said: Well no program really promises you a job but, it does make it easier as employees see that you have taken iniative. As far as the money goes, one of my classmates in the Nurse Refresher Program at PHES was on financial aid through the Unemployment group. I think in Texas its called the Texas Workforce. There may be something similar in Massachusetts.

Unfortunately, no they do not.

As my situation is different than most that post. The initiative I showed was getting an education, passing my boards, making it all the way to the ICU. I shouldn't of been looking for over a year. Why spend money for something that doesn't do anything for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

destcyr in New Britain, Connecticut

50 months ago

yea, I had an interview even got to follow a nurse during her day to see if I would like visiting nurse. I wanted a day or two to go over it in my mind, however, I thought i could get the full time job if I wanted it. Again I called to let them know I wanted it, left several messages only to get a message back that the full time job was taken and now they only have per diem!!!!!!! frustrating to say the least. I am no where ready to retire, and the funds that I need to live are running out. Nursing doesn't seem to be the best job. However,there is a nursing shortage???!!! WHERE??? I could spend $2500 -that I don't have- and never be guaranteed of a job! WHAT!!!! I sometimes feel that the refresher courses are just a scam. I always loved being a nurse until you find yourself unemployable! Anyway, where is my sugar daddy?lol

destcyr in New Britain, Connecticut

50 months ago

I would love to take a course outside of Connecticut because most other states are alot cheaper! I am still trying to figure out why Connecticut feels it needs to charge that much. It's not any better than other states. My concern would be to fork over the $2500 and not get a job!!! I sort of need that money because I am totally unemployed single mom. the state of Connecticut ran out of money to help people with education. so where else can one go?

Nancy Nurse in Drums, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Check out Kane Educational Seminars. They have RN/LPN refresher courses for $295 for 6 hour course. They also have IV courses etc. I may register and see how good it really is. There are testimonials. Check it out on www.nureserefresher.com and Good Luck to all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Nurse in Drums, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Sorry, it is www.nurserefresher.com

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi

49 months ago

Judy in Vidor,Texas in Beaumont, Texas said: You hang in there girl. Let's keep this topic going and see if we can come up with some good job leads for you. We all need to stick together and watch out for each other.

It is about time nurses stood together! Doctors do. Nurses are too concerned about being better than a sister nurse. I have been beat over the head with these kinds of nurses, but...I have met some siter nurses who are so loving and kind and helpful. We can ALL learn from one another! The bitter ones need to move on. This should be about helping one another instead of trying to outdo one another. This country needs a USA Nursing Group that will go all out for us and even to Washington DC to fight for USA nurse rights, even refresher courses, not letting the out country nurses come in and take our jobs! I am an RN and so is my sister, she has worked with a lot of foriegn nurses and she said most hang together and treat American nurses like crap. The hospital complain of shortage needs to rethink about having refresher courses taught by another RN to retain the RN's we have. Our good LPN's need the same fair treatment! Maybe we need to ALL send a letter to Congress...LOL...think that might help? LOL..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: To aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Well, please watch out for this too, I WAS a nurse for them...don't expect them to stand with you if a problem occurs...baby it is out the door! I know! Let a patient accuse you of something that is not true, get written up, then the patiet tells your boss the truth and you get fired anyway! Watch your back ladies! Watch your back! Oh, and NEVER let anyone tell you that missing a word or two in charting will not get you in trouble! It will! I am not saying it is right to forget to chart something, but...we are not only nurses, we are human beings and stress can cause a lot of problems. I am telling you that Ninety to 100% of nurses have missed some charting somewhere due to stress! Even human fault. But...please, chart, chart, chart. God bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Well, please watch out for this too, I WAS a nurse for them...don't expect them to stand with you if a problem occurs...baby it is out the door! I know! Let a patient accuse you of something that is not true, get written up, then the patiet tells your boss the truth and you get fired anyway! Watch your back ladies! Watch your back! Oh, and NEVER let anyone tell you that missing a word or two in charting will not get you in trouble! It will! I am not saying it is right to forget to chart something, but...we are not only nurses, we are human beings and stress can cause a lot of problems. I am telling you that Ninety to 100% of nurses have missed some charting somewhere due to stress! Even human fault. But...please, chart, chart, chart. God bless you all.

Oh, and if you have a Clinical Mgr who does not like you because she is not the one who hired you, and had let her techs run the clinic and over nurses. Has ran off two nurses before you and a good tech. You get out before you start. Or you will end up like me. I am not bitter, just hurting because I trusted where I should not have. If I had really listened to the Lord,I'd have resigned long before this mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

destcyr in Moodus, Connecticut

49 months ago

Boy, I totally agree with you. I have been nursing for 30 years and because I haven't been in the hospital for over 3 years they want you to take the refresher course. I believe that we should be hired and refreshed doing orientation. I have never left nursing, but I sure feel like it now. Nurses are the worst to help one another. I am not sure why! We are supposed to be nurturing people, but I don't visably see that! My neighbor is a nurse and she said she would take me under her wings to orient me to her unit, however, the hospital won't allow it. So I lost my job due to downsizing-it was good I hated the place, however, I would of liked to find another job before this happened. I don't know much about taking these letters and sending them to congress. I am not that computer savy ,unfortunately. But I agree over the frustration on how nursing has changed, and not for the best.

49 months ago

destcyr in New Britain, Connecticut said: yea, I had an interview even got to follow a nurse during her day to see if I would like visiting nurse. I wanted a day or two to go over it in my mind, however, I thought i could get the full time job if I wanted it. Again I called to let them know I wanted it, left several messages only to get a message back that the full time job was taken and now they only have per diem!!!!!!! frustrating to say the least. I am no where ready to retire, and the funds that I need to live are running out. Nursing doesn't seem to be the best job. However,there is a nursing shortage???!!! WHERE??? I could spend $2500 -that I don't have- and never be guaranteed of a job! WHAT!!!! I sometimes feel that the refresher courses are just a scam. I always loved being a nurse until you find yourself unemployable! Anyway, where is my sugar daddy?lol

Take that per diem job...it is a way to get your foot back in the door. Take it. Even a stint in a nursing home will give you something to work with. They have Medicare Stepdown units. Let them know you are interested. Do 6 months to a year, add that to your resume, it is a one step at at time for us who have to work and can't find a job. Some job is better than no job. I need a job too! I have 15 years. I just got fired and it was all a big mess! I missed charting somethings. I have no excuse except for staying in a place that stressed me to death and being lied on did not help. Take what you can get and rebuild that resume!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas said: Well no program really promises you a job but, it does make it easier as employees see that you have taken iniative. As far as the money goes, one of my classmates in the Nurse Refresher Program at PHES was on financial aid through the Unemployment group. I think in Texas its called the Texas Workforce. There may be something similar in Massachusetts.

That may be an answer in a lot of states. I know that Texas is good like that.

49 months ago

destcyr in Moodus, Connecticut said: Boy, I totally agree with you. I have been nursing for 30 years and because I haven't been in the hospital for over 3 years they want you to take the refresher course. I believe that we should be hired and refreshed doing orientation. I have never left nursing, but I sure feel like it now. Nurses are the worst to help one another. I am not sure why! We are supposed to be nurturing people, but I don't visably see that! My neighbor is a nurse and she said she would take me under her wings to orient me to her unit, however, the hospital won't allow it. So I lost my job due to downsizing-it was good I hated the place, however, I would of liked to find another job before this happened. I don't know much about taking these letters and sending them to congress. I am not that computer savy ,unfortunately. But I agree over the frustration on how nursing has changed, and not for the best.

This is pitiful, I bet you still know more from your 30 years as a nurse than many others already on the floor! I would take that extra 15 years of experience you have right now! Try the Employment office like one nurse said, Texas does refresher courses through theirs, maybe your state will too.

49 months ago

Sherry Jackson in Marietta, Georgia said: Here is the cost breakdown for attending Kennesaw State Uni's Refresher course in Georgia
Program Tuition:
Online Course Fee: $1695 OnCampus Course Fee: $1395
Textbooks
Approximately $500
Uniform $50-60
Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening
$78.50
Malpractice/Liability Insurance - Limits of Liability: $1,000,000/3,000,000. Cost
about $89.00 or less.
Health/Accidental Insurance (not sure of cost of that)
Proof of current MMR immunization…- got to pay for that
Annual PPD or Chest x-ray - another expense
Tetanus Series - another expense
Hepatitis B immunization series - another expense
Satisfactory completion of physical examination indicating a good state of health.- There goes another up to $100.00

So that 1695.00 is not what you pay, try adding up all the extras that go with it and we are talking 3 grand?
Kind of a big road block for laid off families! And same here, no idea if this refresher course will open any doors! So this could be a waste of money when it could be used to pay for utilities, food, mortgage that is threatening to foreclose!!!
What a joke. Incidently, I had close to 30 yrs experience but had to stay home these past 5 years to take care of ailing husband.

I am so sorry. There is a site online that helps nurses in need if you search under than title: Nurses in need or something to that affect. I will see if I can find the site and add it here in a few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

destcyr in Moodus, Connecticut

49 months ago

Connecticut does have a program where they could financially help,however, when I called the State was broke-no money to help. and When I asked when they would get more money, they couldn't tell me when, and then they said that I would be put on a very long waiting list for help! So I'm still looking for that elusive job somewhere close by and in the state that I am living!

49 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I am so sorry. There is a site online that helps nurses in need if you search under than title: Nurses in need or something to that affect. I will see if I can find the site and add it here in a few.

I have help info for nurses in need: www.nurses.org/stories.htm this is a nurse help place for finances, or maybe a one time help. It also takes donations to help other nurses. Please help them if you are a working nurse and can afford it. It may be your needs met one day. Otherwise, I am going to suggest searches with various words in nursing such as: Nurse.org. or Nurse.com or RN Career Center, or Medi-smart.com or deltahcp.com or Yahoo hot jobs.com
or Jobs.net, or Gambro.com which is another dialysis company as is Davita. They often train. NurseOptions.com, Deaconess health System. HotNursejobs.com or Simplyhired.

I know most nurses say they are not so computer literate that they will not try to write to the Senator/State rep for the nursing help we need. But...if you won't add your voice, then who will? I will. Search online: U.S.Senate or Senators or U.S. Also do some searches for help getting back into the nursing field after being out...think ladies and gents, search by different names for what you are looking for. You are not beaten. I trust Jesus Christ to get me through the mess I am facing. Also my dear, dear, nursing buddy who is now in ICU from a burst small intestine! She is needing prayer.Her name is ANITA! She has a family, and life just like the rest of us. She is an RN and a sister Nurse. Please pray for her! thanks. if I find anything to help you all, I will post it! May God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

t in Toms River, New Jersey said: Hi everyone: A client of mine has been a RN, & resides in NYC & is searching for Register Nurse Refresher Courses. My client has been inactive & would like to successfully prepare herself to be Licensed as a Registered professional Nurse in New York City in the state of NY State. she needs to take refresher courses in order to pass the exam. Where are those Refresher Courses located & if you have any suggestions / advise / Guidance as to How she can "jump" start her career once again, please do share them.

I tried to go on the site I sent for nurses help from this page. for nurses help. It would not accept it. I suggest you type in some part of the Nurse in need or Nurse help, or any variation and it should help find it. This post would not let me put in the phone number. email me if you wish to Mistorri@aol.com

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.