What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 523)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee

90 months ago

On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (225) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in West Warwick, Rhode Island

89 months ago

this is sick . something needs to be done . politicians cant keep just passing the buck i cant beleive there aren't laws that prevent as a cna myself i feel like something needs to be done . working conditions are awful and they will only get worse . we need betting working conditions so we can provide better care . the residents pay top dollar and are lucky if they get the bare minimum . it is just sad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee

89 months ago

Well, it seems here in my location famiies are getting even by slapping BIG HUGE Law Suits when mother/father develops a threatning decubitis (bed sore) or severe fall. They are suing like crazy for whatever reason they possibly can and making thier cashflow bigger, due to stuff like this. Can't say I blame them...however, some families could do a bit better to by supporting their love ones they have thrown in the nsg. homes...don't get me wrong we do have a few that seem to genuinely care. Overall, nursing homes would not be a choice for me if I had to make arrangements for my elderly parents...Not even for the Lawsuit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee

85 months ago

CONTINUED.....

She couldn't see why they couldn't do the "get ups"...So when the 4 morning girls came in they started on their morning chores that they normally do and got the people up that they normally get up when they come in at their regular shift...let's just say this opportunity gave them a early or "jump start" on their chores. I had know idea they were not getting up the people on the night list.

Okay, our night shift rolls 10pm till 6am and by 6am...my co workers and I were on our way out the door...thinking we had done a "hellified job" and it was a miricle to do that one good round that helped the patients all rest a bit better. We were simply exhausted.

Now, about 30 minutes after I get home from work...My phone rings and it is the staffing coordinator...saying I had been ordered to come back to work ASAP and finish my chores...to get those people up on my hall ASAP! I told her I was exhausted...deserved a thank you and was NOT returning to work...I barely made it home safely...being sleepy and tired and was blessed to be home preparing for bed.

She then put the director of nursing on the phone and she "torted" for me to get back out there...ASAP. Again, I told her the same thing and NO. She then begin to harrass me with demands and telling me I didn't do my job last night...come back to finish...The only way I could get her baffling mouth..off my line was to tell her I will "resign" then her voice tone improved tremendously and she happily said fine.

Later, I phoned my co-worker and she begged me to not buckle under...and to let them take my job from me...So I call the director of nursing back and told her I wished to retrack my statement of resigning (had contacted my lawyer, which I hadn't/scare tactic I thought...but I still refused to come
out there...I told her I was scheduled to come back the next night..Should I come back...She stated yes and I will deal with you then.

I called the administratore later that evening and he---

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

agreed with everything the Director of nusrsing said. So there was no empathy/or understanding from the Superiors. I returned to work was reprimended and dismissed with a SUSPENSION..And I am sufferring now financially and worried how my bills will be paid (this one threw me good)..Ofcourse, I'm using this time to look for a better job and 1 closer to home because I work many miles away from my home to get to that facility (in adjoining city).

I have called that 1-800 number left a message to file a complaint but no one has yet returned my call. This is so UN FAIR...I wish I knew the right things to do. I am so tired of being mentally and emotionally abused and tredded on...only to take "crap" just because I in financial Need. I wish I could really afford a lawyer...or there were lawyers who would help people like me...even just to give a tidbit of free legal advice.

Feeling hopeless and defeated...especially since she has put my job on the line due to what looks like to me to be...a fault of theirs for being under staffed...I'm trying to figure out why is the Blame passed on ME?

Help please????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Janice

85 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: agreed with everything the Director of nusrsing said. So there was no empathy/or understanding from the Superiors. I returned to work was reprimended and dismissed with a SUSPENSION..And I am sufferring now financially and worried how my bills will be paid (this one threw me good)..Ofcourse, I'm using this time to look for a better job and 1 closer to home because I work many miles away from my home to get to that facility (in adjoining city).

I have called that 1-800 number left a message to file a complaint but no one has yet returned my call. This is so UN FAIR...I wish I knew the right things to do. I am so tired of being mentally and emotionally abused and tredded on...only to take "crap" just because I in financial Need. I wish I could really afford a lawyer...or there were lawyers who would help people like me...even just to give a tidbit of free legal advice.

Feeling hopeless and defeated...especially since she has put my job on the line due to what looks like to me to be...a fault of theirs for being under staffed...I'm trying to figure out why is the Blame passed on ME?

Help please????????

First of all, where are you working? Depending on the ownership/ management of your facility, it will make a difference on how you should proceed. I highly recommend you talk to State Dept of Health, "Investigations Division". Was that who you attempted to call on the 800 number, or was it the 800 number to the company for which you work? Do you have a State Ombudsman? Clarify who you were trying to reach and for whom you worked and we can go from there. In the meantime, look immediately for another job.
If you are still employed, even on a suspension, it is not unreasonable to request a potential new employer to not contact your suspending employer. Use co-workers, Charge Nurses, etc. that you have worked with as your references. Let me know the above and I will help you further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

85 months ago

LOL... I remember those days about twenty years ago. Decided wiping butts and emptying bed pans was not worth minimum wage. I went back to college and choice Occupational Therapy as my new career. Did that for about twenty years and went back to school again. This time I became a Doctor in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery. Maybe you two need to think about improving yourselves and get a degree. Unfortunately, people look at you as a person not for who you are inside but by the degree of education. I am living proof.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I am one to take constructive criticism. I will admitt I stand lots of improvement. As far as my bad spelling, that is the least of my worries for now. When push comes to shove I know how to click spell checks, check the dictionary as so forth. I will save that for the perfectionist and scholars (lol). My apologies to all the spelling/grammar critics...Big SORRY.

Even if I received the highest degree, I would still like for something to be done for others less fortunate.Maybe, I should consider being a lawyer (joke for the day)...(lol)

Actually, I do have other diplomas and certifications and I have thought of doing something else I'm equally qualified for doing. Ofcourse, I will confess, I do need serious refreshing. I have a Executive Secretary Diploma. I can key up to 60wpm and I have learned quite a few computer programs.

Also, I have a certificate as a Mental Health Technician. We were state tested in the state of Illinois,after an extensive program and required to make top scores- I scored an A+.

I have applied for a job already pertaining to this field (Ment. Hlth) and praying for a blessing. I've taken other educational ventures I rather not get into right now. I just thought I'd share a few.

I thank God both of my kids are off to college and one is only 2 courses away from his B.S. and considering going further. Also, I hope they can apply what they've learned to become enterprenuers and run their own companies. Maybe, they will consider hiring Mom...(lol)

UPDATE: I did try contacting the St. Dept. of Hlth, I did not follow thru on the complaint. I am back on that job and searching for a new job. I am in a position where I have to work,if I go back for any type of training (head of my household). I am receiving career counseling and I feel it is really helpful; I'm considering administrative training...along with this guess what???? I will be able to take courses to improve Grammar and Spelling...yipppeeeee!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

If you could take a moment to stop trying to dehumanize and actually read the post you maybe you would understand that I am doing something after...concerning my situation.

The world would be a lot better without "Educated Fools". There is a difference between a genuine educated person and a educated fool...

Find someone else to vent your miseries and frustrations out on...because I'm not the one. Also, be informed that as of this reply; I will not continue to be-little myself to your level. I pray that God bless you and whatever issues you have occurring in your life. It's quite obvious that there are major adjustments to made...Remember your Prozac the next time (lol)...

Best Wishes to you and may God bless your Soul.

"Do me a favor...Don't Reply Back (You'll get NO further communications from me)"...LOVE-n-Peace!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Windyville, Missouri

85 months ago

Doug in Ohio said: It doesn't take much brains to be a nursing assistant. Maybe that's why your stuck in a career with no chance for advancement. Stop complaining a do something about it.

I cannot believe you think only uneducated people are CNA's,that is so far from the truth.You need to take time in your narrow minded world and visit a nursing home and see what these brainless people go through.It is horrible,and the sad truth,it could be your mother,father or other loved one who is laying in their own waste,drugged so they don't know up from down,yomight just find yourself there one day and i hope you remember this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Ohio

85 months ago

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Windyville, Missouri said: I cannot believe you think only uneducated people are CNA's,that is so far from the truth.You need to take time in your narrow minded world and visit a nursing home and see what these brainless people go through.It is horrible,and the sad truth,it could be your mother,father or other loved one who is laying in their own waste,drugged so they don't know up from down,yomight just find yourself there one day and i hope you remember this

Actually, I do work in a nursing home and 99% of the CNA's there can't even get into a nursing program because they can't pass the admittance exams. And yes, I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

It is a good thing we serve a God that looks on us all from the same perspective (let me rephrase that...some of us serve God).

Duh...So what if they didn't pass their exam...examination failures can happen to individuals from ALL professions, as well! Increase the cranial spacess in your brain and stop being so critical toward CNA's.

Have you ever heard of "Failing Forward", If you haven't I would like to advise you to check the book out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

" I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants."

Oh...and atleast 90% of the time most likely, they lie in their own body fluids due to a staffing shortagae, which is not the fault of the Nurses Asst. but the fault of the Administrator or Director of Nursing or Staffing Coordinator...sometimes ALL of the above.

It appears to me you are ignorant to the dynamics of what actually goes on in a Nursing Home. If you are knowledgeable to the facts, obviously it doesn't show. You are seriously displaying your ignorance and I'm wondering what do you feel you stand to gain from it all.

Does it make your day to make dehumanizing CNA comments. I seriously wonder about your childhood; Are you carrying around issues stemmed from long ago? Are you unhappy with your present life/situations? Or are you making remarks just for "kicks" and it is actually fun to tick others off with foolishness? Do you love rebuttles?

I don't know you from a "man on the moon" however be encouraged to know that...."there is room- for even you...at the cross". Jesus Loves You, Dear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

~Inspiration For The Trying Souls~

"I thought this would be a great and quick read for ANYONE who needs this encouragement...The guy who wrote this has millions and had actually failed all the way to SUCCESS"

EVERY FAILURE IS A STEP CLOSER TO SUCCESS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who try to do something and fail
are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.
Experiencing failure is inevitable on your journey to be successful.
Every defeat is merely an installment to victory.

You'll find that the number of times you succeed is in direct proportion
to the number of times you fail and keep trying.
You won't be judged by the number of times you fail,
but by the number of times you succeed.

Failure is nothing but education,
nothing but the first step to something better.

You can't be a winner and be afraid to lose.

Copyright 2007

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Asheville, North Carolina

84 months ago

My mother is in a nursing home for Rehb. She has been in now for 6 wks. all of the cna's complain about the shortage on staff. I went on this link to find out the ratio for cna & patient. but it seems like all nursing homes are the same. Does anyone know how to open a nursing home? What would it be like to have your own? I wounder how the patients feel, knowing that you don't have time for them. I wounder how much these nursing homes make on these patients,and how it should be regulated on staff, patient ratio. I am doing some digging and I might find things I don't like because if I have to end up putting my mom in again I want to know she is being taking care of. I go everyday and stay 2-3 hrs. I am not someone that would leave her. I love my mom. I am really glad to know that there are cna's out there that like thier jobs. I am glad I found this link. So if anyone has any idea's plase let me know. thanks for being there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Asheville, North Carolina

84 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: ~Inspiration For The Trying Souls~

"I thought this would be a great and quick read for ANYONE who needs this encouragement...The guy who wrote this has millions and had actually failed all the way to SUCCESS"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2007

LOVED IT. THIS WILL BE MY MOTO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Somehow my whole post was erased, I guess due to technical difficulties, however, I will try responding to this post again.

"All the CNA"s complain about the shortage on staff" Now, I wondering to myself does this sounds like a stereotypical comment or not. Have you actually heard ALL the CNA's complain or are you stereotyping ALL CNA's as complainers due to your experience with possibly SOME or a FEW CNA's that you have heard complain?

Tip #1. Changing Your Mentality geared toward ALL CNA's might improve the situation there. Now as far as the "lousy" ones... I'm sorry for your experience and I have an elderly Mom as well...and I think I can relate to your "pain". I would want the best for my Mom also.

As far as ALL Nursing Homes being the same, I refused to stereo-type them ALL. However, I can state due to my personal experience in this field while working several Nursing Homes...I have noted that the MAJORITY of them are similar in nature. Don't get me wrong there are a few decent homes available...I think :-)

"I wounder how the patients feel, knowing that you don't have time for them. I wounder how much these nursing homes make on these patients,and how it should be regulated on staff, patient ratio."

I can only tell you of my experiences, On nights we were short...I've had a pt to state Bev. "don't tell me, I know when you guys are short...you are the greatest and I appreciate everything you do due to circumstances you can't help...I don't fault you...I feel sorry for you because we both deserve better...I had one of my pts. tell me that...and drove tears to my eyes.

Some appreciate great help instead of shunning all (CNA's) for things beyond control. For Instance, Staffing Defficiencies, Nursing Home "red tapes" and illigitimate practices that most outsiders no little about..etc. My personal opinion is Nursing Homes are HUGE money-making "rackets"! Most of All the money they bleed out of these families/pts. they(corporate/admin.)-c'td...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Most of All the money they bleed out of these families/pts...they (corporate/administrative "the big dogs") or whatever you'd like to call 'em are gaining big revenues..Nsg Homes are a JOKE now-a-days. Why do you think you hear of so many law suits.

If the "big guys" cared they would hire and maintain enough QUALIFIED people to do the work by establishing better working conditions for them. They would treat their nurses and cna's with dignity and respect by paying them right/better benefits (instead of hoarding all the "gold" for themselves)

I will cut no corners...Think about it, in every field there is the "bad" and the "good"...There are SOME bad nurses, director of nursing, administrators, and corporate agents...ALSO, There are SOME good nurses, DON's and Administrators.

Over-all, The bottom line is... this is one big racket...and All I have to say is "Lawyers, Eat Your Hearts Out"!...

But you won't find me testifying on the court stand on the behalf of some ungrateful family that did nothing but look down on ALL CNA's...I would say, Win you dag-gone case the best way you can. Furthermore, it's not like I'm likely to gain 1 cent of your millions.

You know, it's sad what good is a couple of millions -vs- a life. I love my Mom and I would never stick her in a nursing home...Yes, I realize peeps have to work and continue living...As far as that goes pay less and hire a QUALIFIED Personal/Private Sitter. You will save more and considering you've done an efficient background,screening and qualification check...You will most likely get the quality of care you are desiring. Doctors/Social Workers are quick to refer families to consider Nsg. Homes...Families should become more educated and knowledgeable of their options. The Nursing H. is not the only option. Thank goodness, I AM DONE WITH THOSE DINKY NURSING HOMES!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin

84 months ago

Been There in Modesto, California said: Several years ago, I took a position with a local nursing home as a discharge planner. Unfortunately, the cna's in this facility did not work hard. I found them on break just about every hour and the patients were not cared for. I would answer call lights myself even though, I was not a floor nurse and not hired to provide direct patient care.
The Nursing director, myself and several staff nurses held a meeting to address the inadequacy of patient care because of these nurses aides. The aides became very angry, there really was no postive outcome. It was a very frustrating situation and one of the reasons I left. It was a shame too, because each aide had no more than 7 patients each day, the elderly patients should have been given decent care.

I see your from Modesto. Do you know of any CNA programs in the area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Icy in Bronx, New York

84 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

According to what i have been taught in school,you have the rights to choose ,if the work is too much you need to voice your concerns to your superior ,and if nothu=ing is being done there are agencies that deal with abuse in the work place because that is definitely abuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Icy in Bronx, New York said: According to what i have been taught in school,you have the rights to choose ,if the work is too much you need to voice your concerns to your superior ,and if nothu=ing is being done there are agencies that deal with abuse in the work place because that is definitely abuse.

I agree with the last part "there are agencies that deal with abuse...." however, not the first part of your para., because the so called direct "superiors" bond together in unisom when it comes to a grievance. Think about it this happens in lots of professions. There is a 1-800 number to call and you don't have to state your identity...But whose to say that will make matters better permenant basis? Again, many find it so much easier to either further their education, find another job, career to venture into, and some have been known to walk off the job without a "shadow" of remorse.

While I'm on this "note"...I would like to stress to other CNA's no matter how challenging and unfair your situation is...PLEASE NEVER EVER, WALK WAY (QUIT)DURING YOUR WORKING SHIFT; Especially if you EVER plan to work as a CNA again.

Why??? First because this is considered "abandonment" as well as "negligence", Your certificate will most likely stand 99-100% of a chance being revolted. Obviously, you can see why and this is very un-ethical and poor discretion of the lst degree! I was told by a co-worker that most who walk off dont' ever plan to return anyway, they consider the work overwhelming and simply throw their hands in the air and say "to hxxx with it"...there is a difference in a need and a deed she stated. So this goes out to the CNA's who this is most applicable to. I just care that you guys make the right decisions. Personally, I've always given a 2 wks. notice regardless of how unfair a situation was. I honestly beleive in establishing and maintaining great business ethics regardless of what type of job I have. I never burn my "bridges" I pray&move-on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Okay...Pray and move on...To mean that I would consider alternative options and act upon the ones that would work best for my situation. Everyone handle problems differently. I do feel though if you work for a great company and overall your pay, benefits and the basics are in alignment with your needs; That it would be in your better interest to learn how to settle disputes in a feasible fashion.

Why? Because, if you actaully think about it- you will find that there are problems basically everywhere you go. Generally, I feel it's not wise to "run" from problems but to learn how to face them and develop the skill of problem solving.

This SKILL will not only help with challenging job situations but in every area of life as well! I would say educatinng yourself or acquiring a form of education to problem solve is a great investment.

Hope this helps.

Bev.

unhappy in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

Hey, Listen I work at a hospital and the nurses want to give me 24 patient and on top of this want me to take care of their patient and if they think I getting sharp they go and whine to the unit manager. So, I'll be in school for an Registered Nurse and I don't if I stay on where I'm at
there is other opportunity I'll take advantage of. Ohhh by the way sometimes they'll will do the vital signs, Hey I leave at 7:30 A.M. So they can bo hoo to this. I don't feel the patient are getting the adequate care and there is neglect as well. This is a sad situation! ! !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Bedford, Indiana

82 months ago

Hey,
You need to file a complaint with your Omsbudsman.And are the 24 patients on 3rd shift. That makes a big difference,cause if most of the people are sleeping than there is not that much to so. I have worked 3rd and had 30+ patients and eerything was cool. But then on day shift the patients were divided.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Hey, 24 patients in the hospital for this 1 CNA is simply-- unheard of! I can't imagine this ratio during ANY shift and especially in the hospital!

Don't fool yourself into thinking that all patients do at night is sleep; Because beleive me this happens rarely depending mainly on what type of patients you are dealing with. I've worked nights where patients where riding the call lights continuosly. There are many factors to consider at night: Such as patients may find it difficult to sleep due to pain/body aches, due to medication reactions, due to a former "sleep schedule" they have always possessed (not all people al night-sleepers...just because the sun goes down...hey...think again). Some may have bad dreams or nightmares, maybe there is a big issue that is weighing heavily on their mind, there could be many factors and the list could go on and on. There maybe behavioral "flare-ups". So, I will be the first to notify you that there is a likely possibility that The Shift has very little to do with anything...

24 Patients is definitely to many patients for 1 CNA in a hospital setting. Most who work in the hospital environment can attest to that. Any and Everything could come up in a hospital setting, you could hear a "harvey team" summoned at anytime, You as the CNA might have to run errands to the lab, to pharmacy, to central supply, or any other needed dept., per supervisor request. You might even have Q-Vitals on several patients at a time and depending on your dept, chart them as well.

I actually find this "ratio" hard to beleive happening at a hospital. You may need to address this problem ASAP or start looking for something more feasible for you and your conscience!

Good Luck and Best Wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dianna BIngham in Vale, North Carolina

81 months ago

I have been reading all of your comments. I am a CNA in a nursing and rehabilitation center, I find a lot of the same problems you all do. We are also short handed where I work, for the simple fact that our attendance policy is really not inforced like it should be. Some days on first shift we only have 2 CNAs on a hall that is one CNA to 18 residents. It is hard to first get them up feed them, lay them down, get them back up, feed them, and once again lay them down. In between that shower them, get vital signs, and deal with other activities and therapy during everything else. But I'm lucky to have a nurse that helps. I came to this website to do research for an english paper I am currently doing in college, writting a proposal on CNA shortage. I got alot of feedback from this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fed up but helpful in Baltimore, Maryland

79 months ago

I am also a cna and gna and what not. I consider myself a nurse without the license. Of course it's against the law for someone to call themself and a nurse and work as one without the license but what i am supposed to tell the patient when they call out "nurse". They don't call out nurse's aide. Anyway, I've been in nursing for seven and a half years and thank God, I just graduated from college with my bachelor's degree in Accounting.
It was a long arduous journey.
They can preach that "cna's are important speech all they want to" and it doesn't mean anything.
One thing that i realize is that you have to look out for yourself because my biggest fear is that i'm going to do something that will cause me to lose my certification.
That's bad because I plan on becoming a speech language pathologist and if i lose my cna license then i can't work with patients.
There's a shortage and it's not going to change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chole in Princeton, Illinois

78 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

I work on the night shift to we have 39 residents to 1 aide per hall they want us to do 20 sets of vitals, wheelchairs,3 bed checks the nurses try to get us to do their treatments,clean breakroom hopperroom sunroom dirty utility clean utility and all lobby areas answer all calllights and alarms because they say that is not their job,make out new cups for ice and pass it, we have so much paper work to fill out it is not funny and to top it off we have to start getting people up at 4:00am we have to get up 20 people by 6 or stay over until it is done it is breaking our backs and i am only 25

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nikkie in Cleveland, Ohio

78 months ago

chole in Princeton, Illinois said: I work on the night shift to we have 39 residents to 1 aide per hall they want us to do 20 sets of vitals, wheelchairs,3 bed checks the nurses try to get us to do their treatments,clean breakroom hopperroom sunroom dirty utility clean utility and all lobby areas answer all calllights and alarms because they say that is not their job,make out new cups for ice and pass it, we have so much paper work to fill out it is not funny and to top it off we have to start getting people up at 4:00am we have to get up 20 people by 6 or stay over until it is done it is breaking our backs and i am only 25

Thank-you for your response, but all this has been corrected

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carmon in Lincolnton, North Carolina

78 months ago

I agree. Im only 19 years old and im already starting to have back pain. i work the night shift and in the morning i have 17 people to get up and dressed. of course there's another cna, but that's still 8 people a piece. there's 3 cna's on first and they have 6 people to get up?!?!? but what can i do? ..... and by the way does anyone have any tips on backache, i try good body mechanics, but sometimes you just cant lift with your legs..... thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Bristol, Tennessee

77 months ago

I am 22 years old. I have been a CNA for 3 years. I work at a facility of 150 residents, which half of the nursing home is skilled patients. We usually have 16 residents a piece on dayshift. It is very hard to be happy at work when you are so overwhelmed with all the daily task you have to complete. The nurses will not answer a light. They can stand under it and tell you to answer it or make messes and ring the light for you to come see what they need. We have to get all our residents up before breakfast, feed them, lay them back down, shower them, take them to therapy and activities, get them back up, feed them lunch and then lay them back down, ice, and vitals, not to mention all the charting. All our night shift does is set in the dayroom all night, eat, and watch TV. They might do a round. They are asked to get up 10 people a night for morning and they fuss about it. Come on now! This isn't fair for our residents when dayshift has to do so much and don't have enough time or workers to do it in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ruthj in Brooklyn, New York

76 months ago

im 20 years old, i just did my internship in a nursing home and im getting ready to take the state board . im very scared and think that i will fail it . im actaully a nursing students at an university, i took the cna course so that i can until i become a nurse, but never knew it was so much job, i know they have nursing homes where they hire people without thier license, i was wondering if someone knew about them in new york, thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

76 months ago

Wow. I came looking for mandated CNA:Resident ratios & got an eyeful of everything else ~ things are bad all over everywhere & mandated ratios fly out the window when it comes to short-staffing (which is profitable to the facility, especially when states don't enforce penalties ~ hence, all the lawsuits)...

I'm a CNA looking at going for LPN & RN simply because of the overwork. There wasn't so much paperwork when I became a CNA & I didn't want to go to LPN because it meant more paperwork & less patient contact.

I'm not as brainless and uneducated as some might think. For the life of me, I cannot understand how some people look down on those caring for the elderly and/or "their loved ones". I once heard of us being referred to as P.A.W.s (Professional A___ Wipers). Unbelieveable! Then again, people often dislike in others what they dislike in themselves, so I must wonder: do people look down on us because we care, because they wouldn't think of doing what we do (including caring for their loved ones), because they don't think the elderly deserve care, or what?

I could go down a gripe list of my own here but all y'all have pretty well covered everything & I'd just be redundant. This isn't about me. It's about the residents and patients. If it's bad for them, it's bad for me. Short-staffing for profit is bad for them. Hazardous work conditions are bad for them.

The problems are systemic & that has nothing to do with us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ARLENE in Akron, Ohio

76 months ago

I worked in a hospital as a stna for 14 yrs.
and thought about becoming a nurse. but trust me they are overworked and under payed.
they have very little time to spend with there patients then when they were aides. this is why their are so many nursing errors
made I wouldn"t give up being a aide for nothing in the world we are the nurses eyes and ears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

76 months ago

When I put pen to paper, as a CNA & HHA, I could make as much or more than an LPN (almost as much as a starting RN) without having school loans to repay. The trade off is having to work more hours and do a lot of temp work.

As I said earlier, I didn't pursue LPN/RN earlier as I didn't want more paperwork and less patient contact. The trade from CNA to LPN/RN for me would be one of body preservation as an LPN/RN's overwork isn't back-breaking.

We are far more than just a nurse's eyes and ears. In many cases, we are the residents' families.

Someone here said if we don't like the work conditions, we should shut up and pursue other work, become an LPN or RN or something else. I don't see how that's going to fix the work conditions. Unless work conditions and systemic problems are fixed, which is what's best for the residents/patients, there'll always be recruiting and retention problems & soaring disability expenditures. Short-staffing for profit is short-sighted at best and very expensive in the long run at worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikkie in Cleveland, Ohio

76 months ago

Each of you have different views and experience. For example one thought about going to school and chose not too, but to assume that many have taken loans out that's not true, and to those of you that have responed to my forum, presently I'm on a different floor with few patient, but back to school I didn't have take out a loan and I also recieved a scholarship for school and in this I still do patient care and even some of my friends who are RN and LPN and also some DRS, and even those of you thought I was whining it was not so. Nevertheless, most of your writing was interesting and for those of you continue to progress in you endeavor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hallie in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: ~Inspiration For The Trying Souls~

Copyright 2007

You just made my day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mystic in Powell, Tennessee

75 months ago

I just became a CNA last week. I have been in mental health for many years and reported abuse there and got fired. its is not a very forgiving field. LCSW's often think they are So superior to everyone. I am now an LPN stiudent and hope to find work as a CNA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

over worked and under paid in Cleburne, Texas

74 months ago

i have been a cna for about 10 months now and this new job i work it bad there sometimes 1 cna to 35 residents last night was not the first time i worked by myself, and i know it wont be the last. we are way under staffed and WAY under paid. Some times there are 2 cnas on the hall but thats rear and uncommon. im so fed up with this job i have been applying at hospitals and other places other than nursing homes. i hate seening residents get the bear minimum when it comes to having to wait to get changed becuase i dont have time to run back and furth by my self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunflower in Lake Mary, Florida

74 months ago

I have the same concerns as you and all the others i am about to finish the nursing program in aug and not really sure about if i still want to be a nurse seeing the way they treat the techs and the patient really turn me off i have be doing cna work for 9 yrs and working in central florida has been a very bad experience this hopital i work at is alway under staff and think 1 tech having 38 patient is ok on night, never mind the nurse don't bother to help they even have the nerve to call you when you have just finsh taking vital sign for the pass to hour or more. its a shame and some thing needs to be done about this they do not respect tech or cna and they really take advantage of us. I am sorry about every one's suffering and pray it gets better for us because the only people who are really suffering is the patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

74 months ago

Florida or Minnesota: makes no difference. My place says the night shift is a "monitoring shift", which the day shift believes translates into "hall monitor", i.e. that we sit on our butts for 8 hours. The DON wants residents to sleep and for us to be quiet but we have to pass incontinent products and pitchers & now my Unit Coordinator (from day shift, who also believes the "hall monitor" definition) has trampled residents' rights by ruling "no more bed pans or urinals" with rare exception. If someone requires a toileting sling & hoyer to the bathroom, so be it & if there's only 1 CNA, then the LPN must help & if the LPN is covering 4 units & unavailable, the resident has to wait. Another resident is a sit-and-stand mechanical lift. There are 2 other 2-assists. My unit has 33 residents spread out between 3 halls: 1/3 have fall-risk alarms & they are also spread out between the 3 halls. Only 4 are Independent. If we have a float working, add 9 residents = 42 (2 more Independents). 42 - 6 = 36 who are call lights, SBAs & 2 Assists, check and change, fall risk alarms and behaviours. We don't get our two 15 minute breaks if but rarely. Upon hiring, my job description handed to me said I'd have one consecutive hour to sit (presumably to do charting) & that's never happened, ever. It's the worst unit in the building. We were told nothing about a new admit and I & an RN, singly & together, tried unsuccessfully to accommodate this confused & behavioural person's wishes to get to the bathroom, only to learn 2 days later that this person is a 2 person mechanical transfer. Another had no signs posted outside to gown & glove before contact. When 2 CNAs are working, one is always to be at Ground Zero to listen for alarms, so if al call light goes off, that resident has to wait until the other CNA is available.

Shall I go on? I think I'm preaching to the choir.

Sue LaBarre in Woonsocket, Rhode Island

73 months ago

I found a job as a PCA when licence expired while taking care of parents . I work for PARI taking care of people in the home ,I am hired by the paitent and PARI pays me through medicare .It is a non profit agency for Independant living . I am MY own boss, make two dollers more an hour than the nursing facilities ,no cowerkers to please and I can woke as little or as much as I want depending on how many cliants I agree to . it requires Pt care ,transfer and I could not be happier ,hope some of you Ri CNAslookingfor a job will consider ,they need more girls .The health department wanted me to take the corse over and pay ,plus testing fee,background checks is all done by P.A.R.I

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

nm in Bowling Green, Ohio

73 months ago

ashley in Bristol, Tennessee said: I am 22 years old. I have been a CNA for 3 years. I work at a facility of 150 residents, which half of the nursing home is skilled patients. We usually have 16 residents a piece on dayshift. It is very hard to be happy at work when you are so overwhelmed with all the daily task you have to complete. The nurses will not answer a light. They can stand under it and tell you to answer it or make messes and ring the light for you to come see what they need. We have to get all our residents up before breakfast, feed them, lay them back down, shower them, take them to therapy and activities, get them back up, feed them lunch and then lay them back down, ice, and vitals, not to mention all the charting. All our night shift does is set in the dayroom all night, eat, and watch TV. They might do a round. They are asked to get up 10 people a night for morning and they fuss about it. Come on now! This isn't fair for our residents when dayshift has to do so much and don't have enough time or workers to do it in.

I work night shift, and I agree we should help get people up. (We do.)Correct resident/staffing ration helps too. Although night shift is busy too, day shift SEEMS to be more hectic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

sunflower in Lake Mary, Florida said: I have the same concerns as you and all the others i am about to finish the nursing program in aug and not really sure about if i still want to be a nurse seeing the way they treat the techs and the patient really turn me off i have be doing cna work for 9 yrs and working in central florida has been a very bad experience this hopital i work at is alway under staff and think 1 tech having 38 patient is ok on night, never mind the nurse don't bother to help they even have the nerve to call you when you have just finsh taking vital sign for the pass to hour or more. its a shame and some thing needs to be done about this they do not respect tech or cna and they really take advantage of us. I am sorry about every one's suffering and pray it gets better for us because the only people who are really suffering is the patient.

I just hope any CNA reading this keeps his or her chin up. We are the "muscles and brains" of the nursing home. No, we can't give shots or meds. Who cares. But we are the most needed and both the residents/patients and us know it. I asked the nurse a question about a resident and she didn't know anything about the person, but the other (very helpful) aides knew everything...and are still underappreciated. I've heard that nurses "save" the doctor's butt....AIDES SAVE THE NURSES' BUTTS! Kudos to the truly honest and caring aides, nurses, and staff. I try to think of my job this way: God appreciates us and watches every tiny thought and action, I get a workout, and I know I am appreciated by the residents. I am there for THEM, not the nursing staff. I played toss the ball with a resident who was sitting for ever in the hall. That was the first time I saw them move so much and smile so much. It absolutely completed my day. I think this job is meant for people with honest hearts and the want to help someone in need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Me again...just keep on thinking of stuff. Another thing I love about being an STNA is hearing the stories. Wartime, doctors, teachers, farmers, just the way things were 70-100 years ago...I think it's awesome. I am not saying diseases are good at all, but even hearing their experiences and struggles overcoming illnesses are interesting. I am enrolled in a nursing program for next year, but I am not sure if I even want to pursue it. Some of the residents have nobody. They may look forward to seeing a particular aide(s) on a certain shift as the high of their day (or night). They have feelings too.
I pray I do everything God has intended me to do to the best of my strength and knowledge. If you keep God in your heart He will make a brighter path. Leave your struggles to Him and just work as best as you can because you are taken care of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

73 months ago

I'll say one thing: having a 1:38 ratio on nights is good or bad depending on the facility and case mix involved. 38 independent toileters versus 38 combative mechanical standers: see what I mean?

I don't know every facility or every crew, but everyone loves to dog on everyone else. How do we get anyone's respect if we don't respect each other and acknowledge the hard work each shift does? Everyone thinks night shift is a do nothing shift & maybe it is somewhere, but not where I work, despite its being called "a monitoring shift". 1:40 with umpteen spread out monitors & alarms, 1 & 2 & 3 hour safety & toileting checks...

We've had day and afternoon shifters pick up what they thought would be easy money, sitting around all night eating & watching TV and they couldn't run any faster out of the place afterwards because they found out we WORK & work hard!

Last Friday night I worked alone. First round started at 11:10PM (the shift is 11-7) because that's when lights started going off and wasn't finished until just after 3:30AM & I'm talking non-stop, no breaks + having to make do & go without because the facility doesn't believe in soakers or having an adequate supply of gowns or linens. We're supposed to do 4 rounds a night & when you're under-staffed, it's impossible.

There's always a pecking order and the ones pecking are the ones in the pen. Shifts peck on shifts. PMs gripe about AMs & NOCs gripe about PMs & AMs gripe about NOCs. Peck peck peck & you can kiss morale goodbye & all because the pecks aren't directed where they really should go: management & owners & policy etc.

Short staffing is profitable. Fix that.

Come work with me. My facility wants residents' families to provide the soakers, PAJAMAS (NOT GOWNS), bathing supplies, linens, etc. We have mostly continent residents charted for soakers and mostly incontinent residents not charted for soakers & you can get written up for using soakers with residents not charted to have them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

diana in Asheville, North Carolina

72 months ago

I would like to know what I need to open my own nursing home. (money?) I have medical background, medic in the Army, Medical Assistant for 15 years. My mother was an RN for 50 Yrs. She is now in a skilled nursing home. I think I could do a better job. How can I find out if a nursing home is for sale, or lease option to buy.Or does it work like that?? thanks puzzeled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GINGER in Knoxville, Tennessee

72 months ago

I WORK FOR A NURSING HOME IN LOUDON TENNESSEE WE HAVE TO WORK MOSTLY WITH ONLY 2 CNA'S ON OUR STATION THAT GIVES US 28 PEOPLE EACH AND THIRTEEN GET UPS ON 3RD,SHIFT WHAT REALLY IS CNA PATIENT RATIO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

72 months ago

I really don't think there is a one size fits all answer as the ratio should be determined by case mix, i.e. getting up 13 independent people is a lot easier & faster than getting up 13 heavy mechanical transfers.

That being said, depending on your shift's hours & any overlap with day shift...meaning: the other nursing/rehab home in my town has 2 different hours for night shift ~ 10-6 & 11:30-7 ~ and the shift going to 7 ends night duties at 6 & then does get-ups until 7.

Even so, your 13 even divided by 2 CNAs sounds quite unrealistic & another example of Ivory Tower Management living by Pharoah's Decree (Exodus 5:1-19). I guess I'm fortunate that my nursing/rehab home wants the inmates, errr, residents to sleep until 7A & there are only 3 out of 120 that nights get-up & none are in my unit.

You'd probably think me spoiled by comparison unless you consider case mix. My unit, when 1 CNA is working, is 35 residents spread between 3 halls; 44 between 4 halls when 2 CNAs are working. My unit is a Restorative Toileting unit (no bedpans or soakers despite the need for them). Friday the 18th 1st round took me from 11:10PM - 3:30AM. Rounds can be done in an hour with 2 working when it's a good night. It's been hell lately. Tuesday night we were so short-handed that our units were reassigned & the AM get-ups done on Unit 1 weren't done. It was impossible. If it's 1 CNA on my unit, AM get-ups are impossible (and they're usually when someone has a doctor's appointment to get to so they have to be up and fed before 7).

With 1 CNA working my unit, it's impossible to keep rounds on time plus do all the 1 hour turns, 1 hour safety checks, 1 hour monitors, let alone get water passed, etc. If I was doing a get-up, who's doing last rounds, monitor & safety checks, answering lights, listening for alarms? No one. As it is, we don't get even 1 of our 2 by-state-law fifteen minute breaks even with 2 CNAs working.

It's all in the case mix and Ivory Tower Management.

maya in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

That is inhuman and unfair to the patients. Here in the union hospitals, it is 12 patients.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.