Changing Careers... High stress!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

LM in Marshfield, Wisconsin

25 months ago

I have barely begun my NHA career and I am already unbelievably burnt out! From having no staff, to pressure to build census, and difficult to manage residents, I barely sleep! I am looking for a new career because I just can't take this pressure! HAs anyone transitioned from being an administrator to another related profession with success? How do you handle the stress of the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Travis in Louisville, Kentucky

24 months ago

An admissions director position would be a good transition for a LNHA. That being said it is very much dependent on the company you work for as to how stressful your job is. I would encourage you to look at other companies before hanging up the hat on the administrator career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

aplnfa25 in San Antonio, Texas

24 months ago

LM in Marshfield, Wisconsin said: I have barely begun my NHA career and I am already unbelievably burnt out! From having no staff, to pressure to build census, and difficult to manage residents, I barely sleep! I am looking for a new career because I just can't take this pressure! HAs anyone transitioned from being an administrator to another related profession with success? How do you handle the stress of the job?

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been in LTC for over 14 years but have only been licensed for 7 years. I've served in the role for only about 5 years. This still feels like a new career.

I never sleep and often question myself if this was the right descision for me. The best part is the pay and benefits but not at the cost of my health and family life. I feel completely stuck. It seems that years of taking care of people and large budgets and licensing agencies does not transfer to other fields. Everyone wants so much time in their industry. I understand that b/c it's the same in this field, but I've never seen it so difficult to cross over. I left food service to become an administrator, so I feel that I should be able to easily transition over to the business side. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I wish I could offer a suggestion for you but wanted to share my similar story. My job search led me to this post. The comment about becoming an admissions dirctor is a good one; however, that is what I like least about my position. I don't like the sales aspect of the position.

I need something more structured and bussines like without all the headaches and accountability. Accounting seems the most practical but means practically starting over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.