Not happy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado

60 months ago

You know what's crazy? Both the asker and respondent of this forum are the SAME PERSON! It's that same Jillian, Lindsey, Van, Kyle, etc. person who just keeps changing names to keep bashing the OT profession. Now, he/she is going by You're right Felicia and Felicia08. Isn't that wierd! This person really needs some help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

nirvana1 in Indio, California

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: basis is upper extremity strength training - which is easy and can be done by just about anybody.

I love working w/ older people, I just feel ridiculous because I don't feel productive.

I love neuro and could see myself working w/ stroke pt's, or strictly dementia - but I haven't found a place that focus' just on those pt's. maybe I need to travel towards a city?

I wouldn't recommend going into ot, nor would discourage you. Just focus on what you want to do - and make sure those types of oppurtunities are available where you live.

If i had to do it over again, I would have gone for pt. Much more concrete and specifid - instead of ot, which is just too all over the place for me.

good luck!

Even if it's "beneath you", the activities, which I hope you can explain to me, for I am a "sponge", here...If it helps others it's not mundane, right? Is your "work" of service to others? Please help me in any way you can.

I left my master's in Psych program(with an A average) to want to be more of service to others rather than popping pills down their throats, as guided by the DSM. I want to be truly of service and my masters or OTA program takes about the same time(2 years).

Advice, please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: I don't think the acitivities are beneath me, I just don't think they are very effective or necessary, and not worthy of the money that is being paid to me and the facility for providing them. In ot school, you learn how to break down every ordinary activity into components, and somehow that makes it more justifiable to bill for these activities, because they are skilled. By activities I mean basic activities of daily living. Lot's of ADL and toileting, kitchen stuff, and housekeeping. In our gym, you would typically see our ot staff playing catch w/ a ball (to improve balance, strenght, standing tolerance, etc., exercising their ue's w/ weights, making toast in the kitchen, and manuvering a rolling walker through and obstacle course.
Again, my interest is more in psych, and the emotional well being of the people I work w/,so maybe that is why I find this other stuff mundane.
I will try to make my treat's interesting for the pt when I can - for instance, taking a depressed elderly man who just had a cabbage x3, into the library, and have him reaching for books, settling on one full of pictures of America - and having him (standing) go through the book and talk about all the places his been. he loved it and felt wonderful afterward. it was a great treat -but most are not like that.

I had wanted to be a social worker, but felt overwhelmed w/ having to get a masters to be employable, so went into ot instead. If I

Well, so far it sounds great to me...helping folks regain their motor strength through something as simple as playing "catch?" I LOVE IT! Please dislose more info, for helping others get "back on their feet" should be simple, and rewarding.

Do you have a private e-mail for me to continue with my correspondonce? If you'de be so kind?

Like I said, I have 7 years in pharma sales, lucrative...but meaningless, i.e. wining and dining docs to advertise my services is not for me anymore. It's a kiss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado

60 months ago

It's definitely just the same person. So obvious. IGNORE THIS PEOPLE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia08 in Massachusetts

60 months ago

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado said: It's definitely just the same person. So obvious. IGNORE THIS PEOPLE!

lol. I am actually finding you amusing!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Folks, look at it this way. You got into occupational therapy - not neurosurgery. Be content for what the job is.

If you worked any "harder" on these older people, you would break their bones. These older people, all they need is their muscles worked, etc. You are also giving these people another service - the opportunity for some companionship, someone to talk to, maybe have some intelligent conversations.

How about if you change your techniques a little - instead of going in and thing about what a terrible job you have, think about how you're taking care of that person's physicial and intellectual needs. Get some conversation going!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Folks, look at it this way. You got into occupational therapy - not neurosurgery. Be content for what the job is.

If you worked any "harder" on these older people, you would break their bones. These older people, all they need is their muscles worked, etc. You are also giving these people another service - the opportunity for some companionship, someone to talk to, maybe have some intelligent conversations.

How about if you change your techniques a little - instead of going in and thing about what a terrible job you have, think about how you're taking care of that person's physicial and intellectual needs. Get some conversation going!!!

I don't think my job is terrible - I love my patients, and enjoy them soo much. I just get frustrated, feeling like I am not doing much. I would love to find a forum where OTR's and COTA's post about different treatment ideas. maybe I just need some creativity - not my strength. I need ideas to keep things interesting and to feel like i am doing as much as I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: I'm sorry. I don't give out my private e-mail, but I would be happy to share any info I have w/ you on this forum!
Playing catch is great, just not when it is the only think left to do w/ a patient, and you have 60 minutes of therapy to give to them, 5 days a week, for many weeks.
I have been thinking about my disatisfaction w/ my career a lot last night, and this is what I think. In school we learn so much - about treating people as a whole, and addressing the SEVEN areas of occupation - adl, iadl, work, education, leisure, play & social. All of these, TOGETHER, make up a happy and content individual. I know not everybody is working, or going to school, but still - the main focus on OT thus far in my experience has been very functionally oriented and based almost always solely on ADL's. I have a lot of patients who I feel could benefit from leisure activities and social connections that would significantly lesson their anxiety and depression, but when i see them their goals are never for that - it's always ADL, ADL, ADL.
I have yet to administer an assessment, and I learned so many at school! I have yet to run a group whose focus isn't "raise your arms ten times" etc.. I have yet to make recommendations for community resources (social work does that)

What are ADL's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

OT is what it is... in Los Angeles, California said: Forgot to add: ADL stands for "activities of daily living." Just fyi.

Thanks again!

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: I am miserable. I graduated last year w/ my associates in OT. I have been a COTA for a year now, and I absolutely hate it. I work in a snf, and I love working w/ the elderly, and the money is very good. heres the problem - I feel like a fraud. I feel like I am not really doing anything but ADL's (which a CNA can do), and lots and lots of simple UE strengthening exercises. That is all the other COTA's are doing, so i am not really learning anything new. It's all about keeping people on caseload, and documenting in the right way to get reimbursed. I do not feel I am making a difference in most of my patients, and i do not feel like i am doing anything that one needs a college education to do.

When I was in school, I kept waiting for something to click. It still hasn't clicked. Most of my interventions are ridiculously easy and mundane. it is almost insulting to the patients. I want to do better, but feel I have no resources or mentors.

Occupational therapy is way too broad, and I find that it just encompasses every other profession.

I want out. What to do next? I want to be a social worker, but the pay is so low, and it requires a masters - and I am in my 40's. I have also thought of starting a business doing something for elderly, but not sure exactly what. I have also thought about becoming a recreational director.

any thoughts of a a good second career after ot? I could just stay doing what i am doing, and raking in the money and never feeling like I am doing all that much good - but I don't want to spend the rest of my life like that.

thanks for listening.

felicia

Hi Felicia, sorry to hear that you dont like OT. My situation is almost similiar to yours except I was in a masters program withdraw because I couldnt handle the stress. Its tough you have to know that you really want this to continue and when I was going through all this stress I had to think twice about OT being really for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: I am miserable. I graduated last year w/ my associates in OT. I have been a COTA for a year now, and I absolutely hate it. I work in a snf, and I love working w/ the elderly, and the money is very good. heres the problem - I feel like a fraud. I feel like I am not really doing anything but ADL's (which a CNA can do), and lots and lots of simple UE strengthening exercises. That is all the other COTA's are doing, so i am not really learning anything new. It's all about keeping people on caseload, and documenting in the right way to get reimbursed. I do not feel I am making a difference in most of my patients, and i do not feel like i am doing anything that one needs a college education to do.

When I was in school, I kept waiting for something to click. It still hasn't clicked. Most of my interventions are ridiculously easy and mundane. it is almost insulting to the patients. I want to do better, but feel I have no resources or mentors.

Occupational therapy is way too broad, and I find that it just encompasses every other profession.

I want out. What to do next? I want to be a social worker, but the pay is so low, and it requires a masters - and I am in my 40's. I have also thought of starting a business doing something for elderly, but not sure exactly what. I have also thought about becoming a recreational director.

any thoughts of a a good second career after ot? I could just stay doing what i am doing, and raking in the money and never feeling like I am doing all that much good - but I don't want to spend the rest of my life like that.

thanks for listening.

felicia

Hey Felicia, is ota work really like cna work? Also do you know if the OT job is as fascinating? Tell me what you see that OTs do since you are working with them. Do they have a lot of patient contact because I really like that. Or do they just do alot of paperwork and let the ot assistants do it. And finally how is it working with OTs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Hey Felicia, is ota work really like cna work? Also do you know if the OT job is as fascinating? Tell me what you see that OTs do since you are working with them. Do they have a lot of patient contact because I really like that. Or do they just do alot of paperwork and let the ot assistants do it. And finally how is it working with OTs?

Some of my work definately overlaps CNA work - like when a pt's goals are dressing and bathing and toileting. I don't mind doing these things at all - just wonder why I am getting paid more than double the CNA's salary because I come armed w/ a long handled shoehorn and a dressing stick!!!! It's not rocket science.
the OT's I work w/ do mostly eval's and paperwork. We COTA's have much more pt contact. The OTR's I have worked w/ have been wonderful. I have found most people in this field to be geniunely nice and caring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

sandra in Plaquemine, Louisiana said: It seems weird to me that someone would go through OT profession without knowing what was ahead of them. Did you not do any shadowing before you got into OT School? At 40 years old, I would hope you would know how to use the internet to research a profession before just going straight into the school. That doesn't make any sense. You're getting a little old to be jumping careers.
You're not in your twenties anymore.

Really? it seems weird to me that, without knowing me at all, you would insinuate I don't know how to do research on a computer, or that I am too old for a job change. You are flat out rude. I did plenty of research, for a few years, well before I even entered the program. I don't do anything w/o a lot of forethought and consideration - and that includes my decision to enter this field. The problem is, you don't really KNOW what it is all about ($$$$$$) until you are too far into to turn around. Nobody tells you the real deal. Occupational therapy is always being promoted as this wonderful career helping people - but the reality is, most of the jobs are for rehab companies that care very little about the patients. It's frustrating for somebody like me, who really wants to make a difference - not just go through the motions for a paycheck. A few days of shadowing is not enough to get to know about any career - don't be so smug.
As for being too old for a job change - again, you are just rude. 42 is nowhere near to old for a job change - I still have well over 20 years of working ahead of me, and am just not sure if I want to spend it doing this.
I think the tone of your post was nasty - and you are one of those people who issues in their personal life, and instead of dealing w/ them you look for an outlet on the internet to go after strangers. go crawl back to wherever it is you came from. I am here to talk about occupational therapy - not to deal w/ people like you. go away. bye-bye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: Really? it seems weird to me that, without knowing me at all, you would insinuate I don't know how to do research on a computer, or that I am too old for a job change. You are flat out rude. I did plenty of research, for a few years, well before I even entered the program. I don't do anything w/o a lot of forethought and consideration - and that includes my decision to enter this field. The problem is, you don't really KNOW what it is all about ($$$$$$) until you are too far into to turn around. Nobody tells you the real deal. Occupational therapy is always being promoted as this wonderful career helping people - but the reality is, most of the jobs are for rehab companies that care very little about the patients. It's frustrating for somebody like me, who really wants to make a difference - not just go through the motions for a paycheck. A few days of shadowing is not enough to get to know about any career - don't be so smug.
As for being too old for a job change - again, you are just rude. 42 is nowhere near to old for a job change - I still have well over 20 years of working ahead of me, and am just not sure if I want to spend it doing this.
I think the tone of your post was nasty - and you are one of those people who issues in their personal life, and instead of dealing w/ them you look for an outlet on the internet to go after strangers. go crawl back to wherever it is you came from. I am here to talk about occupational therapy - not to deal w/ people like you. go away. bye-bye.

Your comment was very helpful Felicia and you are not too old to change a career. 20 years is a long time to be in a career you do not like. Also you are right about the shadowing. Sometimes shadowing for a few days do not give you the whole gist about the field. Its really tricky to know by just observing and not doing. I was an occupational therapy student and called it a quit after doing 2 and half semester of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Your comment was very helpful Felicia and you are not too old to change a career. 20 years is a long time to be in a career you do not like. Also you are right about the shadowing. Sometimes shadowing for a few days do not give you the whole gist about the field. Its really tricky to know by just observing and not doing. I was an occupational therapy student and called it a quit after doing 2 and half semester of it.

I am glad I was brave enough to quit now then to continue on and find out how much I hate it. A comment for Sandra in Plaquamine, Louisiana, Some people have different reasons for getting into a field that they dont like. some may have started an education in a field and may have hated it but was too far into the program to call it a quit, especially if you are in a masters program. Masters program education cost anywhere from 60,000k-80,000k total. if you are already into the program and have 1 semester left it wouldnt really make sense to not continue. Luckily still had 3 semester left (this includes the summer and half of this semester which I didnt finish. So be courteous and mindful to other people's situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington

60 months ago

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts said: I am glad I was brave enough to quit now then to continue on and find out how much I hate it. A comment for Sandra in Plaquamine, Louisiana, Some people have different reasons for getting into a field that they dont like. some may have started an education in a field and may have hated it but was too far into the program to call it a quit, especially if you are in a masters program. Masters program education cost anywhere from 60,000k-80,000k total. if you are already into the program and have 1 semester left it wouldnt really make sense to not continue. Luckily still had 3 semester left (this includes the summer and half of this semester which I didnt finish. So be courteous and mindful to other people's situation.

"I was an occupational therapy student and called it a quit after doing 2 and half semester of it."

Umm why do you come on a OT forum? If your looking to trasition into a new career, why wont you speak with your guidance counselor?

Also the name tica,did you know that its short for Costa Rican female?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington said: "I was an occupational therapy student and called it a quit after doing 2 and half semester of it."

Umm why do you come on a OT forum? If your looking to trasition into a new career, why wont you speak with your guidance counselor?

Also the name tica,did you know that its short for Costa Rican female?

Um, Please dont tell me what i can do or cant do. I am researchin everything out. reading these forums is what got me thinkin twice about this career. And for your info I just dropped out of my program not because I didnt like OT but because it was killing me with stress and I wasnt even sure if it was really what I wanted to do. I wanted to do find out for sure so I bought books, and did talk to various counselors and now I am reading these forums. Dont tell me that I am not doing something worthwhile. This is what these forums are for so people can know what they are getting into and that we all can get advice from one another. Before doing all the this research and reading forums I was actually thinking about continuing with OT at a different school. I just hated the school that i was at thats all. But now like I said I am beginning to realize that OT is not for me. And for your info I did not know what I was going to do and guidance counselors are really of no help. These forums pushed me to making my decision. Please keep you comments to yourself Glenn if you have nothing good to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

sandra in Plaquemine, Louisiana said: I don't mean a few days of shadowing. Aren't you supposed to observe for at least forty hours before you can apply to the school? Why didn't you talk to occupational therapists about how they feel about their jobs? At 42 why are you still looking for meaning in your job? Shouldn't you be more concerned with paying your bills and taking care of your family? That is assuming you have a family. I would be upset if my forty-two year mother kept jumping careers because she is still trying to find herself. The time now is to settle and accept your fate. It just seems so silly for you to keep searching and searching. Bills need to be paid, and your mortgage or electric company doesn't care about your feelings when you treat patients. If you want meaning, start volunteering in a hospice or a food bank. Be a volunteer at a local school.

For Felicia's offense, it doesnt really help to ask an occupational therapist how they feel about their job. They will never really tell you the truth because they are not supposed to, especially on the job. That why people find these forums good because it allow people to express themselves and their feeling about the job. An occupational therapist would never say to a person shadowing, "hey dont get into this field it is terrible". Do you really think they will tell you that on the job. However you can always figure them out by body language and how they work and respond to their patients. No verbal language and body language says it all when you trying to figure out if a therapist is really enjoying what they do. YOu may be right about switching careers or jumping to careers at age 42, it may be a little disturbing to the family, especiallly the children. However, like I mentioned before 20 years is alot of years to be working in a field you do not like. If you are not happy getting up every morning to go to work it will impact your family because you will be miserable.

60 months ago

Continued...

I feel that Felicia has every right to find meaning in her life if she is not happy. She owes to her family to be happy. Felicia you do what you gotta do. Dont let anyone tell you that you are too old. I admire you desire to find meaning in you life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Continued...

I feel that Felicia has every right to find meaning in her life if she is not happy. She owes to her family to be happy. Felicia you do what you gotta do Dont let anyone tell you that you are too old. I admire you desire to find meaning in you life.

thanks Tica.I think "Sandy" is looking for attention - nothing more. I'm skipping over her posts in this thread from now on.

Are you still considering going back to school for OT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

I have been an OT for 5 years and also find it dreary and depressing and know many people who feel the same. Some people don't mind doing this job but I can't believe how it did not match at all what I learned in school. I too everyday try to think of how to get out of this field without going back to school and still use the skills and experience I have gained but in a different way. I don't know if it's the fault of the healthcare system or i just have too high an expectation for this career but I have been very dissapointed. The money is good though which makes it even more unfortunate or difficult to change. I would love to hear how other people made a successful change but they are probably happily doing it now so no need to be on a board like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Jillian again in Culver City, California said: One more thought. I know it seems like such a big waste and time and money - an OT degree and it's tempting to want to try to make it work in some other capacity - as if it just has to. That's a lot of pressure - when maybe whatever it is that you could do with an OT degree may not be what really is of interest to you. And, you could waste even more time trying to make your OT degree work - when maybe it just won't. It comes to a point where you may have to decide to just cut your loses - accept the mistake and the loss and move on to other things.I personally think that holding onto OT will continue to cost and cost and cost - you everything. The sooner you can break with that tie, the better - let it go - have the courage to close the OT door. You could miss the real boat (career) in your life by trying to find a place for OT to fit. As I was saying, it can be a plus to have your degree to work PRN to support your next degree - but, then be ready to let it go when you find another career. And, next time, study something that is really of interest to you - an area that complements your natural abilities -not just do something b/c it's hot on the job market - or find a balance b/w the two - your interests and the job market - and maybe it's not even in health care. Be open - and willing to launch out into something completely unrelated. There is a life and world after OT - and don't let OT keep that chokehold on you - you can do other things. You need to control OT's influence in your life, not the other way around. You decide how much you want to do and not to do as it works in your new world - and, as I said, use it for your own advantage (for parts) to allow you to take that leap to another career via possibly another degree.

Wow Jiliian, It seems that you really had very bad experience with OT. Are you an OT or a Cota? What made you decide to go into OT? What do you plan to do about your problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Jillian again in Culver City, California said: I'm an OT not a COTA. It's not my problem dear - it's OT's problem. And, my experience is shared by many, many others. You seem very childish - typical OT mentality.

I dont appreciate that comment. All I wanted to know is why you hate the job so much... Are you doing anything about it? Do you plan to make another career change? If so in what? I think you should if it makes you so unhappy like this. Also are you currently working as an OT now?? And im not an OT thank you, was planning to be but decided to not go into it.

60 months ago

Jillian again in Culver City, California said: I'm an OT not a COTA. It's not my problem dear - it's OT's problem. And, my experience is shared by many, many others. You seem very childish - typical OT mentality.

What can you see yourself doing besides OT? And by the way how long have you been practicing OT for? And when did you realize you didnt like it? Was it during you time in school, was it your first couple of days of the job when?

gravedigger in Fort Mill, South Carolina

60 months ago

This page seems to be one big cancer. I went back to school to become an OT after many lucrative years in sales. I was a top performer in sales and made more money than a good plastic surgeon. On a good week I could easily make 20k. But the job was an empty existence, constantly badgered by management and owners to increase sales. Customers constantly blaming me for their business struggles. The stress everyday to produce better results than the month before would kill even the strongest person. I sucked it up everyday with a smile and a plan for the future. I went back to school and now I could not be happier. This job is a cakewalk and I am offended by all the whining on this blog. I work in a school district and have summers off. Take the time to make good decisions. Work is work, especially in the crappy economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Jillian again in West Hollywood, California said: Too many questions you're asking that don't pertain to the issue of why OT is not a profession and why it is a problem. I've already explained it all in detail - hope it's been helpful.

Thats my question... If OT is a problem why are you still in it? Is there something you like about? If you can anwser that, it would be helful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Why OT again... in Los Angeles, California said: I was so exhausted after working yesterday, I thought I would just throw up. I don't mean "work" as in a real job, b/c it's not really work - it's just pretending to work that's so exhausting mentally and emotionally. I like to work when there's something tangible to be accomplished - I'll outwork anybody - but I need an end goal besides billing for X number of minutes to make some corporation richer. This job, per se, would be perfect for mindless drones - but, for anyone who needs an ounce of stimulation - it will drive you out of your ever-loving mind!

Hey Jillian, why did you change you username?? I have a question, how many years have you been practicing OT? And what do you find comforting about these forums to keep adding comments about OT being a horrible profession. Dont you think we get the point that OT is not a profession or a real job if that is the point you trying to get out. Are you trying to help us or are you just putting your frustrations out by writing everything you feel on these forums. Its like hearing the same song over and over again and getting tired of it, thats how i feel about all the comments you are making right now about OT. You just keep repeating the same comments over and over again... Im not sure what point you are trying to make here, but I think enough is enough. The profession is not a good profession, so we get the point if that is what you trying to make us understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gravedigger in Fort Mill, South Carolina

60 months ago

The LA drone is trying to stir the pot. Probably a life long "cancer", miserable with his own existence. May you try to find some happiness in life. God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mwotr in Madison, Ohio

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: snf - skilled nursing facility. Basically, a nursing home (long term care), generally w/ rehab part for short term rehab stays.

I suggest you speak to the OTR you work with and ask about altering goals. You might want to look a little more global concerning your actions with people. You think having someone kick their feet out 15 times (PT) is better than 15 arm exercises? Shadow a social worker for awhile. You have the choice to include as much as you want in your intervention. Most of rehab is not rocket science

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

[QUOTE who="it's just pretending to work that's so exhausting mentally and emotionally. I like to work when there's something tangible to be accomplished - I'll outwork anybody - but I need an end goal besides billing for X number of minutes to make some corporation richer. !

this exactly how I feel. Like I am pretending to work - just filling up minutes. I would much rather be doing something more productive - something that has a start, middle and end. I am not using any of the things I learned in school. It is frustrating.

G W in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

thanks for listening.

felicia

Have you thought of looking at volunteer opportunities which allow you to use your skills in the way you desire to use them?

Also, if you're entrepreneurial at all, you could design a program and partner with a complimentary company. (Chiropractic, yoga, parks district community ed, YWCA, etc.)

why in Piscataway, New Jersey

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: [QUOTE who="it's just pretending to work that's so exhausting mentally and emotionally. I like to work when there's something tangible to be accomplished - I'll outwork anybody - but I need an end goal besides billing for X number of minutes to make some corporation richer. !

this exactly how I feel. Like I am pretending to work - just filling up minutes. I would much rather be doing something more productive - something that has a start, middle and end. I am not using any of the things I learned in school. It is frustrating.

Hello everyone, I accidentally got in your forum. I am an RN and I love my job.... I have my own internet business which is perfect for people who wants to help other people and make money while educating others.
It is hard to find a job right now...so all I can say is be thankful that we all have a job.

why in Piscataway, New Jersey

60 months ago

Felicia08 in Massachusetts said: Some of my work definately overlaps CNA work - like when a pt's goals are dressing and bathing and toileting. I don't mind doing these things at all - just wonder why I am getting paid more than double the CNA's salary because I come armed w/ a long handled shoehorn and a dressing stick!!!! It's not rocket science.
the OT's I work w/ do mostly eval's and paperwork. We COTA's have much more pt contact. The OTR's I have worked w/ have been wonderful. I have found most people in this field to be geniunely nice and caring.

Hi Felicia08...I work part time in a rehab.center. You OT's are the most important
staff in a rehab. center. Maybe you are not in the right place. Our OT/PT staff does not do any CNA job. They do all the rehab./occupational stuff that the resident needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melinda in Phoenix, Arizona

60 months ago

I lost my job due to the economy and planning to return to school. I was thinking of a business related program but I've always thought about doing something in health care and PT or OT is one of those considerations.

Being a lay person, it seems to me that PT's and OT's do very similar job functions but from reading this forum I guess that isn't the case (sorry for my ignorance on this).

What is the average starting salary for a new PT vs. OT fresh out of school?

And how long are the training programs for PT vs. OT?

60 months ago

Marina in Glendale, California said: Correction: meant to type "worlds" not "world's."

And, to check pay rates, go to salary.com - gives pay ranges for your specific area and profession.

Simply crazy!!!.....You lurk around in the backgrounds waiting for your opportunity to antagonize or discourage interest in this field.All you want to do is come on a website and complain about the wrong choices you made. You made a decesion to go into OT, and you are also making a choice to stay where you are. That is fine, but don't try to take your fustration out on others who are interested in learning about other options in this career. And whats with the name changes and grammer correction's / and yes I just did that to make you pull your hair. Did your mom rip up your assignments as a child and have you rewrite them? Call her to complain!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Correction: meant to type "grammar" not "grammer"

Correction: meant to type "corrections" not "correction's."

Who the hell does this....lol

Please keep on snacking on those cheetos puffs and feed the cat and dont forget to add another sticker to your lap top.

Please dont tell me " you have so much to learn " and "OT wannabe". What have you been around since Moses that you know so much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Your multiple personality is undescribable. I hope you clearly understand something Van,Matilda,Don,Marina etc etc (take a pill for what I'm about to say to you), there is no occupation in this world that would be a good fit for you. Kinda harsh, well that the reality. I dont see how you would pass an interview. So my advice stay where you are and watch your back,cause HR is trying to find away to get rid of you.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sylviajarvis30@yahoo.com in Bethel, Connecticut

60 months ago

thanks for listening.

felicia

Hi felicia, I am so sorry to here about you not like be a cota. I am in my 44 years old and went back to school 17 years ago. Have you thought about doing traveling therapy? I have been doing this for two years now! Its great to see the country and the pay you can not beat!! I love being cota, You need to be creative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sylviajarvis30@yahoo.com in Bethel, Connecticut

60 months ago

Miss Melinda, Some people out there would be unhappy with ANY job. I am a cota and love it! I travel and get great pay, and yes you do help people return to there home enviroment. Some people do not have what it takes to be in this field. I have worked all over New England, some good places, some really tough places. Its what you want it to be. You can change a persons life. If some people hate being an OT/cota field, then I honestly hope they get out of it. I would never want a family member of mine on there caseload. I hope you make a good decision. take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

sylviajarvis30@yahoo.com in Bethel, Connecticut said: Miss Melinda, Some people out there would be unhappy with ANY job. I am a cota and love it! I travel and get great pay, and yes you do help people return to there home enviroment. Some people do not have what it takes to be in this field. I have worked all over New England, some good places, some really tough places. Its what you want it to be. You can change a persons life. If some people hate being an OT/cota field, then I honestly hope they get out of it. I would never want a family member of mine on there caseload. I hope you make a good decision. take care.

I agree...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Savannah, Georgia

59 months ago

Felicia, i have often felt the same way. But when I was doing some continuing ed on preventing caregiver burnout, one of the things they said really helped me - as skilled providers, we get so used to what we do, it becomes automatic, so we start feeling like we're not doing anything that someone else could do. Here's an example - when a CNA does ADLs, their focus is on getting the resident bathed, dressed, up and fed as quickly as possible. When we are doing ADLs, we may be thinking - "Mr. Jones is having a dificult time opening that toothpaste tube - he needs to work on fine motor/coordination skills" or "Ms. Jones has poor balance that is limiting his ability to pull up his pants." Then we work in the treatment room on these tasks and attempt the ADLs again to see is there is carryover of skills. If you aren't seeing improvement, it could be that the goals are inappropriate (I've had that happen a few times, and then the OT revised them) or that the resident has some medication or health issues that are interfering with progress. I often tend to forget about medications. It's good to talk to nursing about any changes you see - often there is a cause for them that is outside our area of practice that we can't really do anything about. Hope this helps! I've been there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mame in Lititz, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington said: Simply crazy!!!.....You lurk around in the backgrounds waiting for your opportunity to antagonize or discourage interest in this field.All you want to do is come on a website and complain about the wrong choices you made. You made a decesion to go into OT, and you are also making a choice to stay where you are. That is fine, but don't try to take your fustration out on others who are interested in learning about other options in this career. And whats with the name changes and grammer correction's / and yes I just did that to make you pull your hair. Did your mom rip up your assignments as a child and have you rewrite them? Call her to complain!

OH my Lord...IS SHE BACK AGAIN! She is really off her rocker! But I'm not surprised! Okay, JILLIAN, SURFER GIRL, DAISY DUKE, MIRANDA, SHELBY, and what now she's going by Marina...someone needs to take her for a looooong walk off a short pier...oh...that's right...she already has! She's crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mame in Lititz, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington said: Correction: meant to type "grammar" not "grammer"

Correction: meant to type "corrections" not "correction's."

Who the hell does this....lol

Please keep on snacking on those cheetos puffs and feed the cat and dont forget to add another sticker to your lap top.

Please dont tell me " you have so much to learn " and "OT wannabe". What have you been around since Moses that you know so much?

Glenn...you probably already are aware that well...let me put this gleefully as I can...she's a nutjob! I mean....ALL OF THEM...you know all of her "personalities."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

just me in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

56 months ago

Hey I know it’s been a few months since last posting but I thought I would comment. First everyone has a right to vent – it’s better to do it here than on the job! For those who don’t want to see it then don’t read it and check out other forums.

Now for your dilemma: I went from a criminal justice degree to physical therapy assistant. I know what you mean by feeling like you’re not doing what you think you should be doing. For those of you curious as to why the change, the more I learned about the law and how it worked the more I did not enjoy it. So I did finish my degree but the jobs weren’t exactly there and I didn’t like it enough to do it as work anyway.

Yes a job is a job but it should be satisfying. You spend more time at work then doing anything else so for those who aren’t happy doing it… well that’s sad!
Anyway, one of my clinicals I did a public school system because hey I thought I wanted to work with children. HOWEVER, after having done that I do not! I went back for a paying job at a different public school system once licensed JUST in case and NO things did not change.

NO ONE told me anything about a typical therapy day with a child in a public school system NO BODY! You have to be prepared to work with children who are very involved medically (it is NOT like outpatient facility working with a child) and the little ones may have different tubes, be sick all the time, may be non-verbal, violent, you may experience biting, spit on, sneezed on with lots of bright green snot, hair pulling, scratching, head butting, kicking, lifting, this all from children who don’t even belong to you so you can’t do much to remind them why they can’t do that! And it consists of tossing balls, playing catch, walking on a flat beam and being a “cartoon” all day long. To some this may be rewarding, BUT to me it is not. It was frustrating, exhausting, and painful at times if you got bit, or kicked, gross – I got spit on once and was sick for 3 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

They scream and yell all day and I was left wondering how this would make a difference in these kids lives since it seemed like 80-90 % of them had no idea what was going on. So that is not a good place for me but like I said to others it may be the perfect place. Now I worked in outpatient rehab, and outpatient ortho and enjoyed it very much even though I thought I wouldn’t. I love working with older patients, geriatrics in outpatient but not long-term care/ SNF (Skilled Nursing Facilities) because I feel like I am not making a difference there either. Perhaps I am to them but I personally need to feel a certain level of satisfaction in what I am doing as well. So for me a health and wellness PT facility is where I want to focus my skills. Just my preference. I love my field, but depends on the setting.

So maybe it’s not the field – maybe it is the setting you are in. Have you tried outpatient rehab? You get to see a lot of different people and cases and you can experience with different modalities as well as aqua therapy if they have a pool.

Who knows you may enjoy working in a public school system. The kids enjoy OT over PT MUCH MORE! But you do play puzzles, play dough, and other stuff in addition to writing tying shoes.

How about inpatient? I know it has its challenges too – may have heavy lifting, and you have to teach people how to bathe but you also get to help them re-learn cooking, etc. which you get to eat after 

How about outpatient ortho? Or research facility? Some insurance companies sometimes hire OTs/PTs and assistants. I saw an ad once for a job at blue cross blue shield. It was an office-type job but it was for therapists. How about home health care? You have the flexibility of traveling, usually making your own schedule, the pay tends to be better than facility and well some offer very good benefits.

How about a private facility that contracts people out to private places so you have a different facility to choose fro

56 months ago

How about a private facility that contracts people out to private places so you have a different facility to choose from?

How about temporary work through an agency? Just be careful with some, they may want you sign outrageous contracts, modify them as you see fit and if they don’t go for it, go with another. There are plenty of temp agencies out there.

How about specializing in wound care? Hand therapy? Lymphedema? And focusing on those patients with specific needs?

Just give it a try in different places if you still feel the same way – then hey give something else a try. Honestly you’re only too old if you’re in heaven. I’ve seen people in my classes (I was older myself) in their 70’s! Don’t give up on satisfying work/life and vent here as much as you want but don’t do it at work because as you said no one does it at work and it won’t look good. As therapists we are trained to always wear a smile no matter what. But wouldn’t it be great if you could wear one genuinely?

I don’t come on here much so if there are any other posts I will probably not see them but

Best of luck,

sull in Quincy, Massachusetts

55 months ago

just me in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts said: How about a private facility that contracts people out to private places so you have a different facility to choose from?

How about temporary work through an agency? Just be careful with some, they may want you sign outrageous contracts, modify them as you see fit and if they don’t go for it, go with another. There are plenty of temp agencies out there.

How about specializing in wound care? Hand therapy? Lymphedema? And focusing on those patients with specific needs?

Just give it a try in different places if you still feel the same way – then hey give something else a try. Honestly you’re only too old if you’re in heaven. I’ve seen people in my classes (I was older myself) in their 70’s! Don’t give up on satisfying work/life and vent here as much as you want but don’t do it at work because as you said no one does it at work and it won’t look good. As therapists we are trained to always wear a smile no matter what. But wouldn’t it be great if you could wear one genuinely?

I don’t come on here much so if there are any other posts I will probably not see them but

Best of luck,

I AGREE YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY IN YOUR WORK I TOO WORKED ON THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM AS WELL AS A COLLABORATIVE SCHOOL THE BITING< HITTING IS PART OF THE ENVIRONMENT LIKE ANYTHING ELSE YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT I LIKED WORKING WITH THE KIDS

Sheena in Mumbai, India

54 months ago

You echo my thoughts. I feel the same - a pretender. I feel like I can teach somebody else to do this job, their relative or caretaker and contribute in a more meaningful way. Thanks, but it's really helped me to know that there are others who think this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia

53 months ago

Sheena in Mumbai, India said: You echo my thoughts. I feel the same - a pretender. I feel like I can teach somebody else to do this job, their relative or caretaker and contribute in a more meaningful way. Thanks, but it's really helped me to know that there are others who think this way.

You mean you think you can teach others what someone has already taught you?! Sounds like you might look into teaching. "There's nothing you can do that can't be done"(John Lennon). Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I could teach a monkey some of the skills in nursing, but that doesn't mean a monkey can comprehend the "why"(theory) they are doing it. Pretender or just educated? hmmm...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sheena in Mumbai, India

53 months ago

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia said: You mean you think you can teach others what someone has already taught you?! Sounds like you might look into teaching. "There's nothing you can do that can't be done"(John Lennon). Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I could teach a monkey some of the skills in nursing, but that doesn't mean a monkey can comprehend the "why"(theory) they are doing it. Pretender or just educated? hmmm...

Yes, I understand what you're trying to tell me. I understand that I know what and why I'm trying to get the patient to achieve the things I want him to. Teaching, ummm, probably. I know rehab has a very important place in medicine, but tell me, isn't combining physical therapy and occupational therapy a brilliant idea?

And certainly, ADLs don't warrant the 4.5 years of school that I've toiled through (undergrad, and I'm yet to do Masters - another 2 years). I feel shortchanged.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.