York College OT program bs/ms

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Oojas1 in New York, New York

29 months ago

Whats so not great about it? What would you reccomend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Levittown, New York

27 months ago

just put in my application this past wed. I hope I get in. I heard that they are on probation for accreditation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

:) in New York, New York

25 months ago

It is on probationary accreditation- for low NBCOT pass rates in first time test takers.

I just got accepted for Fall 2012.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

suilrm in Baldwin, New York

25 months ago

@ :).....Just wondering did they call you or mail you of your acceptance? I'm still waiting to hear from them so kind of worried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

@_@ in Buffalo, New York

24 months ago

I just got in to york too. I am also wondering if York is a good OT school...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

a-v in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

It hasnt had the best reputation. If you get into another school, obviously choose the other one. If not, then you might as well go to York. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

A New Yorker in Lexington, Kentucky

24 months ago

i graduated from York.. (recently) it's a regular OT program.. don't pay mind to the reputation that it may have. Due to their probation status they are now doing everything possible to make sure students will pass the NBCOT exam the first time they take it. so if you attend the program rest assure that you will pass the board exam after graduation. It is also very affordable, it's the same education for an affordable price. Private schools are a business so don't get fooled by a well to be name. there are standards that all accredited OT programs must adhere by and among these is the curriculum, ALL OT schools have to teach you what is specified by the standards so do not think you will learn more if you go to Columbia versus going to York. The only difference will be your tuition bill, so you decide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I sent in my deposit to York. I will admit though, my worst fear is that they'll lose accreditation while I'm in the program. But I also have faith in the quality of the education because I'm familiar with CUNY and I am hopeful that the OT program will make a real effort to prepare students to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

@ Suilrm, they called first then mailed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

@ A New Yorker, congrats on graduating!! Did you sit for the exam already?

24 months ago

:) in New York, New York said: I sent in my deposit to York. I will admit though, my worst fear is that they'll lose accreditation while I'm in the program. But I also have faith in the quality of the education because I'm familiar with CUNY and I am hopeful that the OT program will make a real effort to prepare students to pass.

Good for you! York will NOT lose its accreditation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

:) in New York, New York said: @ A New Yorker, congrats on graduating!! Did you sit for the exam already?

Yes, and passed with a 502 score. only needed 450 to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

prospective ot student in Little Neck, New York

22 months ago

@A New Yorker in Lexington, Kentucky -- how did you like the BS/MS program at York? Also, did you like the field work? Where did you do your field work at? Also, do you know how competitive it is to get into the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Astoria, New York

21 months ago

If you dont mind me asking what GPA did you have when you applied and was accepted ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Bronx, New York

12 months ago

I just got accepted for fall 2013!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melanie OTR in East Meadow, New York

12 months ago

Congratulations on your acceptance to York College. I graduated from York College in 1985 and I believe I had a wonderful foundation and marvelous career. Make sure you obtain excellent fieldwork education sites as this will only further enhance your marketability and education. You can obtain a degree from NYU or Columbia however it will cost you a fortune! York College as well as Stonybrook are most affordable! As with anything...you will get out what you put in! Best of luck!

ak165 in New York, New York

11 months ago

I plan on going back to school and would love to complete the occupational therapy program they have at york. How difficult do you think it was to get into? How is the campus? How long did it take you to compete? How did you get experience volunteering in OT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in East Meadow, New York

11 months ago

ak165 in New York, New York said: I plan on going back to school and would love to complete the occupational therapy program they have at york. How difficult do you think it was to get into? How is the campus? How long did it take you to compete? How did you get experience volunteering in OT?

At present you need a Masters Degree to become an Occupational Therapist. In addition to this you also need to complete a nine month internship. The campus at York College is in a busy section of the borough of Queens. It is easily accessible by the Long Island Rail Road as well as other forms of transportation. The school is comprised predominantly of minorities as its primary objective is to serve the local community (however students do come from the other boroughs and Long Island). Many programs require volunteer experience prior to applying to the program. The amount of hours required can vary from 75 - 150 hours so its best to inquire with each OT program. Basically its a good idea to contact the volunteer department of your local hospital and ask about volunteering in their Occupational Therapy Department. It's very important to be reliable and helpful since the therapists you meet will most likely provide you with references for when you apply to OT school. Also its important to contact the school and find out what prerequisites are required to get into the program. I am not sure how competitive it is to get into York. You many want to call and inquire about their gpa requirements or how many applications they receive vs. how many do they accept. If a Masters level program is too many years for you to commit to you can also consider becoming a COTA which is a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.