Anyone struggling with the OT job market in Canada ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Clueless in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

I am OT with 5 years of work experience working in a top facility in Chicago. I came to Toronto several months ago. So far I've been loving the country but I am struggling to find any employer to even call me up for an inteview. I've submitted my resume to 50 places and got my Canadian credentials (OT registration, insurance, etc.) but still no interest. Any one who recently moved back to Canada having thesame difficulty with the job market ? Please share any advice on cracking the Canadian/Toronto OT market for an outsider with experience. I've mostly applied to jobs posted in the OSOT job board or on job sites.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No-occupation in Scarborough, Ontario

30 months ago

I graduated this past August and I haven't even had a call back from an employer yet. I'm thinking about moving away very soon because I can't afford not to work with all this student debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

US OT married to a Canadian in Jackson, New Jersey

17 months ago

Hi fellow OTs, I see that these postings are from 13 months ago and I was wondering if anything has changed since then. I recently became a permanent resident of Canada, and I am hoping to move to be with my husband as soon as I can find an OT in Toronto. I've been applying to every Canadian OT job I can in the last month but no calls yet. I am crossroads between possibly leaving my well-paying OT job in New Jersey and being able to start a life with my husband in Canada, since obviously it is important for us to be financially stable. Any advice from anyone out there, that's been here? Thanks so much and good luck with your job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

priya in Coimbatore, India

12 months ago

Clueless in Toronto, Ontario said: I am OT with 5 years of work experience working in a top facility in Chicago. I came to Toronto several months ago. So far I've been loving the country but I am struggling to find any employer to even call me up for an inteview. I've submitted my resume to 50 places and got my Canadian credentials (OT registration, insurance , etc.) but still no interest. Any one who recently moved back to Canada having thesame difficulty with the job market ? Please share any advice on cracking the Canadian/Toronto OT market for an outsider with experience. I've mostly applied to jobs posted in the OSOT job board or on job sites.

Thanks

Hello,

I have read your post, are u still in job hunting? am planning to get my PR to work as an OT. do u have any suggestions?

Kelly in Oakville, Ontario

10 months ago

Hello all above
Just wondering if any of you found jobs recently? I am returning from staying home with my kids for the last 7 years. I have re-licensed with COTO and have been looking for a job for the last year. I am putting out at least one new job application/resume per week with little response, and I do follow up with the places I apply to. I am assuming someone is filling those positions, I am just wondering who. I am very discouraged and never saw this job slump coming when I decided to stay home. I have 10 years of varied experience over the last 20 years. I am trying to stay positive but it is difficult.

OT in Toronto, Ontario

10 months ago

Hi Kelly,

I've been job hunting for a few months now (eight to be exact), and I apply to an average of 1-2 jobs daily; M-F. I still have had no luck finding a job. I moved here from the US and have my masters with over four years of work experience as an OT. It can get discouraging and stressful, but if there are two things people have told me about the job market is this: 1) Keep at it, work as hard as you can and don't get discouraged (in eight months and all those applications, I only got two calls back :(...2) Network, network NETWORK!- write to OTs that you might know, volunteer with an OT if you can, get to know as many people in the hiring process as you can and let them get to know you; your work ethic, experience etc. Good luck! It is hard, but I know it is not impossible. Work hard, say a prayer and it has to work out~

10 months ago

wi123 in Toronto: Thank you for your detailed reply. For anyone looking at this thread that is new to the area, that will be a great resource in itself. That was very kind of you!
Sincerely
Kelly

OT in Toronto, Ontario

9 months ago

I know that people say that hospitals don't call you back, but it did not stop me from working extra hard to try and after eight long months of applying to probably hundreds of OT jobs, I am thankful to God and happy to let you know, that a hospital did call me back. And today, I just got offered a part time OT position with the University Health Network, with consideration for a casual position in another OT department as well. My advice to anyone job searching.. never give up, and don't stop trying because someone tells you it is impossible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

OT in Toronto, Ontario said: I know that people say that hospitals don't call you back, but it did not stop me from working extra hard to try and after eight long months of applying to probably hundreds of OT jobs, I am thankful to God and happy to let you know, that a hospital did call me back. And today, I just got offered a part time OT position with the University Health Network, with consideration for a casual position in another OT department as well. My advice to anyone job searching.. never give up, and don't stop trying because someone tells you it is impossible.

Congrats!

Experienced in Winnipeg, Manitoba

8 months ago

Hello I am in Manitoba have over 10 years experience in hospital care and rehab and nursing homes. Not currently in an OT position, as last position ended. I am finding it hard to get a new position in Manitoba? Anyone else have this issue. What are the keys to having your resume passed by HR to Rehab Directors.

Evan in Singapore, Singapore

3 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone share about working in British of Columbia in Canada as an OT? Is it hard to find job there?

Thanks.

2 months ago

Evan in Singapore, Singapore said: Hi Everyone,

Can anyone share about working in British of Columbia in Canada as an OT? Is it hard to find job there?

Thanks.

Hi Evan
There are several things you need to do to actually work in Canada as an O.T. Try checking out National association website, C.A.O.T. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapist for details. You must pass our board exams and licence within the province that you wish to work. There is an Internationally trained therapist program that is run through our national association and provided as an online format via McMaster University in Hamilton Ontario. It will take some time to do but there are many foreign trained therapists working in Canada.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.