passing the NBCOT exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2225)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Casey in New Berlin, Wisconsin

71 months ago

I passed in April. Practice questions help somewhat, but I found the notes I took (and received from Friends) helped greatly. The ones I didn't have I bought the nbcotexam.com study guide (I think it's 20 bucks). It was like 300 pages of notes plus some free practice questions. One not to buy is the Momedia.com guide, it was terrible, it was more on how to take a test (any test) then it was about the NBCOT test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NN in Brooklyn, New York

71 months ago

Hi all, I just took and passed the NBCOT exam. It wasn't too bad, I studied from the Rita book, but in all honesty it is best used as a reference not as a complete guide. I think the best thing to do is take all the practice questions and study them like you mean it. You need to know how to answer questions more than cramming information. These questions are mostly based on knowledge you already have, the trick is figuring out what they want from you. You only learn this skill from taking tons of questions. Buy the ones on the NBCOT website, best investment you can make! Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TatieOT in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

HI NN, congrats on passing the boards! Do you mind telling me what was ur strategy, as far as books u used, etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TatieOT in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

I'M using mosby practice book. so far i like it. it has a quiz mode, study mode and test mode. and gives u instant rationale for correct answers except on the test mode.Anyone else used it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

iloveot in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Hi Everyone,

If you are looking into more study resources, check out the OT Advantage Online Exam Prep Course. I took this and passed my OTR exam. It teaches you a ton about strategy, how to identify your weak areas, test preparation, and provides a lot of test questions during the course-plus it's not that expensive! Check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tatieot in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

thank you so much. I am going to check it out! did you do it face to face or online?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tatieot in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

iloveot in Dallas, Texas said: Hi Everyone,

If you are looking into more study resources, check out the OT Advantage Online Exam Prep Course. I took this and passed my OTR exam. It teaches you a ton about strategy, how to identify your weak areas, test preparation, and provides a lot of test questions during the course-plus it's not that expensive! Check it out.

Hi Sarah
I really would like to talk you in person if you do not mind. Email me at tatd24@gmail.com please. I would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NN in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

Tate,

I guess I took a lot of practice exams. Get all the ones on the NBCOT website, those help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in San Pedro, California

70 months ago

Hey guys, I know this post is about the NBCOT exam but I had a question about OT grad school. I am going to start the BS/MS combined OT program this fall and I wanted to know if the MS portion will be any easier than the stand alone masters program a non OT Bachelors degree student would undergo... Our MS portion is only 1 year compared to the 2 years they have to take. I know its obviously shorter, but anybody know how the coursework is different? I heard the 2 year MS program is very difficult

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hey guys, I know this post is about the NBCOT exam but I had a question about OT grad school. I am going to start the BS/MS combined OT program this fall and I wanted to know if the MS portion will be any easier than the stand alone masters program a non OT Bachelors degree student would undergo... Our MS portion is only 1 year compared to the 2 years they have to take. I know its obviously shorter, but anybody know how the coursework is different? I heard the 2 year MS program is very difficult

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

ummm actually you failed to even answer the question. So again I ask, oh and this question is PG-13 Jillian, might want to ask mommy before answering again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

70 months ago

Jonathan, a BS/MS program would be the same as a "standalone" MA or MS OT program. The combined BS/MS program would have the 2 years of OT schooling; the last year of BS overlaps as a 1st year MA or MS program. You essentially pick up a BS along the way while you get a masters in OT. The combo route knocks off 1 year of college vs a traditional bachelor + masters degree. I hope this is making sense.
Basically, if you don't have a bachelor degree already, getting the combo will help shorten time and cost in getting a masters in OT.
Both programs will teach you the same. The difference between a MA and MS degree is that in MA you do a research project vs MS you do a thesis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

wow, that's some major cost cutting right there. but i wonder, why the shortcut? are they trying to get OT graduates out into the field as soon as possible without fully equipping them? i hope that combo is not knocking off further knowledge base required and failing to equip the students what they need. are there such combo programs with SLP and PT? if not, why does OT have to have such a combo program? or how come OT can get away with it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey said: There is no short cut with the OT portion of the program. For example, if you were a BIO major you would just complete 3 yrs undergrad in Bio and pick up a BA/BS in bio (I think) AFTER you completed your first year of OT schooling. The OT "proper" program is the SAME whether you have a bachelors already or not. No shortcuts....as you were hoping to point out. Just goes to show that you are looking for as many faults as possible with the schooling and profession.

oh but of course! if you want quality OT people, then you gotta give them quality education. no shortcuts about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey said: Jonathan, a BS/MS program would be the same as a "standalone" MA or MS OT program. The combined BS/MS program would have the 2 years of OT schooling; the last year of BS overlaps as a 1st year MA or MS program. You essentially pick up a BS along the way while you get a masters in OT. The combo route knocks off 1 year of college vs a traditional bachelor + masters degree. I hope this is making sense.
Basically, if you don't have a bachelor degree already, getting the combo will help shorten time and cost in getting a masters in OT.
Both programs will teach you the same. The difference between a MA and MS degree is that in MA you do a research project vs MS you do a thesis.

Aight koo thanks. I was doing my volunteer hours with an OT and at the same time she had 2 masters students come in and do an 8 week practicum with her and were telling me how hard the classes were. But they were in the 2 year MS program, I asked the OT and she said they had to learn in 2 years what we learned in 3 so thats basically the same thing you said. I just wanted some further input on the matter. Thanks for posting.

but BACK to SuperZilam lol. Quick question, How many Undergrad Physical Therapy programs are there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

- Indeed Host in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

There have been a number of posts in this forum that do not follow Indeed's forum rules. Please ensure that future posts follow these rules or you will be blocked from posting. Forum Rules: Please Read Before Posting We encourage an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our forums in a professional and educational environment. Please adhere to these two rules: 1. Be respectful, reasonable and relevant. Don't post anything nonsensical, disruptive or irrelevant. If you're not sure your comment is a meaningful contribution, don't post it. We remove inappropriate content including personal attacks and aggressive, threatening or profane language. 2. No contact information or advertisements. Don't post job opportunities, resumes, advertisements or contact information such as phone numbers, email, web and physical addresses. If you want to add your jobs to Indeed, go here: www.indeed.com/jsp/includejobs.jsp Users are solely responsible for the content of their comments and in accordance with our Terms of Service, we may remove or alter any submissions. Users who violate these rules will be suspended from using the forums. Please contact us with any questions. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida

70 months ago

TatieOT in Miami, Florida said: HI NN, congrats on passing the boards! Do you mind telling me what was ur strategy, as far as books u used, etc...

I would like to know what strategies did you use to pass the exam. I would like to buy your materials that you use to pass the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida

70 months ago

Casey in New Berlin, Wisconsin said: I passed in April. Practice questions help somewhat, but I found the notes I took (and received from Friends) helped greatly. The ones I didn't have I bought the nbcotexam.com study guide (I think it's 20 bucks). It was like 300 pages of notes plus some free practice questions. One not to buy is the Momedia.com guide, it was terrible, it was more on how to take a test (any test) then it was about the NBCOT test.

do you have the website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tiffany in Anaheim, California

70 months ago

"I am going to start the BS/MS combined OT program this fall and I wanted to know if the MS portion will be any easier than the stand alone masters program a non OT Bachelors degree student would undergo..."

hey jonathan i was wondering which school are your program at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Suffield, Connecticut

70 months ago

So I've been studying for the past month and a half with all my OT books, read through the whole NBCOT practice guide after taking the prep course, in addition to notecards, etc... and FAILED all three practice tests that came with the book. I'm freaking out, needless to say because I'm taking the test the day after tomorrow. :/ Any tips?

marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida

70 months ago

Christina in Suffield, Connecticut said: So I've been studying for the past month and a half with all my OT books, read through the whole NBCOT practice guide after taking the prep course, in addition to notecards, etc... and FAILED all three practice tests that came with the book. I'm freaking out, needless to say because I'm taking the test the day after tomorrow. :/ Any tips?

Where did you get the study guide with the three practice exam and how much did you pay for it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

NN in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi all, I just took and passed the NBCOT exam. It wasn't too bad, I studied from the Rita book, but in all honesty it is best used as a reference not as a complete guide. I think the best thing to do is take all the practice questions and study them like you mean it. You need to know how to answer questions more than cramming information. These questions are mostly based on knowledge you already have, the trick is figuring out what they want from you. You only learn this skill from taking tons of questions. Buy the ones on the NBCOT website, best investment you can make! Good Luck

Congradulation...I HOPE YOU FIND A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

otprep in Frisco, Texas

70 months ago

Anybody interested to sell OTR prep study guides and material? Please email me at otprep@yahoo.com

ot prep in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Also looking for the study partner. please email me.

Christina in Somers, Connecticut

70 months ago

marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida said: Where did you get the study guide with the three practice exam and how much did you pay for it?

Welp, NBCOT hosted a prep course at my college in MA, so I signed up for that. They offered to combine the fee for the course & the study book; I got both for $270 after a $30 school discount.

Here is a link to NBCOT's online practice tests you can buy.
www.nbcot.org/webarticles//anmviewer.asp?a=398&z=15
This is where I bought the actual 2009 NBCOT studyguide by Rita Castaldy. ($85 without the study course.)
www.therapyed.com/nbcotstudyguide.htm

I highly recommend the prep course. I took with with a women named Paula Carey, and she was wonderful. It basically provides you with the keys of how to study for the exam, not content review. It helps you to learn how to decipher the questions, and see what they're actually looking for you to answer.

Also, the 2009 Rita book was a good one, but I would focus mainly on the practice exams they give you on the disk. Unfortunately, they don't scale your score once you've taken them (so you can compare it to the passing score of 450 out of 600 on the actual exam). Its good to take them, and review the questions you got wrong afterwards in the back of the book. The rest of the book is good for concise content review. I did read it all, and also other books from other classes, however I would focus mainly on doing study questions. You basically know (or should know) all the information required on the exam. What you need to do now is just learn how to use it in regard to answering questions.

I took the exam yesterday, and let me tell you, some of the questions were soooo simple (and way easier than I thought they would be!) Some of them I went back and reread the question twice, cause I thought, "Wow, it just can't be that easy!" Don't get me wrong, some are difficult, but I was generally surprised at how much more involved the practice questions were.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in San Jose, California

70 months ago

tiffany in Anaheim, California said: "I am going to start the BS/MS combined OT program this fall and I wanted to know if the MS portion will be any easier than the stand alone masters program a non OT Bachelors degree student would undergo..."

hey jonathan i was wondering which school are your program at?

TIFFANY lol... sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been doing so much moving back up here to san jose... but yeah Im going to SJSU. We start this friday and I bought the books yesterday and WOW are they a handful! Just skimming through them there is SO MUCH INFORMATION to learn! Its kind of intimidating, but I'll do my best. If you are going to school in California then I'm guessing your going to SJSU as well because we are the only school offering a combined BS/MS in Cali. Well if you are my real name is Roy and I'll be the tall black guy on crutches on friday if you see me. K bye!

70 months ago

hey i was wondering how competitive it was to get into the bs/ms program im actually in the process of applying. do you have any good tips ?

70 months ago

to be honest... unless you reallyyyyyy wanna specialize in something...go with the M.Ed. program. i have many friends who did the MS and all it is is an extra semester of a loooooong research project that really will get you no better of a job than the M.Ed. students. (words out of their mouths) just a thought since none of us want to waste money on more tuition, only to be a semester behind in getting a job. the MS is a good idea however, if you want to be involved in developmental research for the OT profession, or are really gung-ho on specializing. (i had friends that specialized in hands, HIV and OT, as well as OT and pet therapy)

70 months ago

I understand where your coming from Christina but as you know AOTA has really been proactive with the centennial vision of OT practice. With that in mind it is important that we discontinue "fitting in" to rehab settings where our practice overlaps other professions such as hand therapy. Hopefully in the future we get back to "specializing" in what it is we do, and that is solely OCCUPATION based therapy. With Occupational Science continuing to supply the evidence based quantitative and qualitative research that boat isn't far away from departing so I am happy to be a part of some of the newest OTs that will be taking charge and advocating in that initiative!

AND TIFFANY. It is extremely competitive to get into the program. We have hundreds of applicants each year and only 40 are accepted. The only reason we aren't an "impacted" major is because the majority of our applicants do not have the vast pre-requisite courses and volunteer work required for admission. So we USUALLY end up having only 15 or so students with everything completed and the rest are chosen on how many prereqs they have yet to be completed. However in my class over half of those accepted had all prereqs completed and they were only able to go so far as to accept those who had 1 class (or volunteering prereq) in progress that would be completed by the end of the spring semester. I was lucky enough to be one of those. So my advice to you is to have PREFERABLY everything done when you apply, hopefully that will be enough next year to get in as OTs popularity is growing exponentially every year! Next year however, you might be able to get away with having 2 prereqs in place because of the financial budgeting crisis at our school that has caused a lot of people to go off schedule AND the fact that admission reqmts have grown to stipulate a 2.8 overall GPA instead of the 2.0 we all needed. So its anybody's guess what effect that will have on everyones chances. God bless you though I hope you get in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I would like to have some one with whom chat and ask question. I'm here in Miami Florida. My email is mdelcm@yahoo.com

70 months ago

Did you use other NBCOT practice exam plus the ones that you mentioned?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

[QUOTE who="Jonathan in San Jose, California

I definitely agree with you about the "fitting into" rehab...yes we are our own entity. However many different aspects of treatment (OT & others) always work in conjunction with each other as you know to strive for the best treatment and care for the client. There will be some overlap no matter where you go, and to be honest...I feel that the (slight) overlap is appropriate. Helps keep everyone integrated. (Example...PT with gait training post TBI. OT functional mobility in the kitchen.) It all works! That overlap helps give the client the best functional independence possible, leading to a more independent lifestyle. And you know this because you're a wonderful OT too! :) I did do some work in hand therapy myself actually, working with a lot of worker's comp issues, and yes, although some overlap is noted...we have the finer skills of addressing those work-related task issues, self, home and other types of care. Overlap is good... too much overlap is unethical, and we all know that! Sounds like you really have a good head on your shoulders. :) You'll have fun with the program. I can't believe I'm finished!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida said: Did you use other NBCOT practice exam plus the ones that you mentioned?

i used that book i listed, in addition to my school books. that study guide i listed comes with 3 practice tests. i took one test before i studied at all. it prints you out areas which you need to study more, and gives you an idea of your defecits. i took another halfway through my studying, and the final one once i was finished. definitely helped. you can find other online exams to purchase...i also listed an NBCOT website prior, however i did not use those. i wish i had tho. in my opinion, focusing on answering questions is a great way to go about studying for the exam. not only do you learn content that way, but you also learn how to appropriately examen the questions, and seek out crucial information to decipher what they are looking for you to answer. (ps...i thought the practice questions were way harder than on the actual exam!) :)

70 months ago

burn!! haha i enjoyed reading that one...ur right on ur GPA's too. you need a 3.0 or higher to get in/stay in the grad program. this was also inforced for our undergrad program as well...otherwise you were booted. i personally left undergrad and grad school with a 3.7...not everyones a slacker miss jillian. what happened to the therapy team point of view? who let the downer in the forum anyways?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Divya RP in Edison, New Jersey

70 months ago

Hey friends, I passed my exam like two weeks back. So do let me know if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to reply you.

70 months ago

hey jonathan, i have all the prerequisites done except neuroanatomy, do people usually take that at san jose ?

70 months ago

can you sell your resources that you used for the prep for the exam

70 months ago

tiffany in Anaheim, California said: hey jonathan, i have all the prerequisites done except neuroanatomy, do people usually take that at san jose ?

You have the volunteer hours done too right? are you already going to SJSU? Because Neuro has to be done at SJSU, it is the only class that is required to be taken at SJSU. And if you take that in the fall you should be good to have everything complete by the time you apply in the spring! That way you have an almost definite spot in the program!

70 months ago

Sorry buddy, they are already sold.

70 months ago

welp...i took the test monday, and got my results today...aaaaaaand i passed!! woo hoo! start working monday! :)

kay in Evansville, Indiana

70 months ago

Divya RP in Edison, New Jersey said: Hey friends, I passed my exam like two weeks back. So do let me know if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to reply you.

what helped you to prepare for exam? what advice would you give to people with test anxiety and forgetfullness?

kay in Evansville, Indiana

70 months ago

Christina in Suffield, Connecticut said: welp...i took the test monday, and got my results today...aaaaaaand i passed!! woo hoo! start working monday! :)

what helped you the most with this exam? I am not a good test taker!

70 months ago

kay in Evansville, Indiana said: what helped you to prepare for exam? what advice would you give to people with test anxiety and forgetfullness?

My advice is that yo know the concepts really well. This is the most important part. My performance on the mock test was embarassing, but this did not discourage me and I kept reading the same topic from different places. And I would recommend Caryn-Johanson test book. Their DVD has a software that lets you practice your weaker areas. This helped me build good confidence.

And about test anxiety and forgetfulness, I was no exception. On the day of my exam, i felt as though I had not studying anything and i was not able to recall even the simplest things. But this happens with everyone. However, you can very much recall things if you have studied them well in past.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rejanefl in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

CC in Tully, New York said: Hey,
I am in the process of studying for the NBCOT exam. I am getting nervous because I seem to be getting a decent amount of the practice questions wrong.

Does anyone who recently took the NBCOT exam have any suggestions for studying? What seemed to help the most and what didn't?

And also, how often and how long did you study before passing the certification?

Most people pass on their first time right???

Hi, I also am studying for the NBCOT? did you take the exam already?
Do you want to study long distance on Skype? my e-mail is rejaneqm@hotmail.com

70 months ago

Divya RP in Edison, New Jersey said: Hey friends, I passed my exam like two weeks back. So do let me know if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to reply you.

Hi,
I am studying for the NBCOT, and I need some tips to help study for this exam. Can you e-mail me at rejaneqm@hotmail.com
Thank you and congratulation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

rejanefl in Miami, Florida said: Hi, I also am studying for the NBCOT? did you take the exam already?
Do you want to study long distance on Skype? my e-mail is rejaneqm@hotmail.com

I studied for total two months. Knowing each and every topic in detail worked well for me. I did not depend entirely on Rita and read almost all topics from other resources too. My performance on the mock was bad too.
But i used to make four questions from each wrong question i marked-i mean i would also analyze the wrong options and think about other situations where they can be correct. I also made a note of new concepts and revised them everyday until i felt i knew them and could apply that knowledge to other clinical scenerio as well. Let me know if you have any specific question. Good luck !

70 months ago

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. How did you study? What was your study plan? I have the NBCOT and the Rita Fleming-Castaldy Manual. How did you divide the study material in order to learn? are you willing to share or even sell your study material,notes,tapes,etc?

I need to create a study plan, organize the study material following a study order. Did you use flash cards, tapes?
Do you know any OT tutor? If you do please let me know. Thank you.

70 months ago

Nik in Hollywood, Florida said: I'm happy that someone created this forum. It makes you feel a little better to know that there are other people going through the same thing.

Hey Nik,

did you take the exam? if not, do you want to study? I am in aventura.
e-mail:rejaneqm@hotmail.com
let me know

70 months ago

marjuarez in Hialeah, Florida said: Where did you get the study guide with the three practice exam and how much did you pay for it?

Hello,

I am studying for the NBCOT exam. I live in Aventura, FL. Are you still studying for the board exam? if you are, how are you organizing the study material, what is your study plan? you can write to me at rejaneqm@hotmail.com
thank you

70 months ago

Nadege in Miami, Florida said: Congradulation...I HOPE YOU FIND A JOB

Hi,

are you studying for the NBCOT? I live in Aventura, FL, and I am looking for a tutor, or somebody to study with at least once per week. How are you preparing for the exam?how is your study plan? my e-mail is: rejaneqm@hotmail.com
what study guide manuals are you using?
bye

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »