I'm torn between becoming a Speech Language Pathologist or Occupational Therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 279)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

75 months ago

I have been trying to make up my mind for the longest. I have a personality that is suited to both careers. The SLP program is near me and I can take that in Sacramento. But I was also interested in OT and was wondering what would be a better choice. I was wonder which would be a better field of work? Do you think I should go with SLP, then later if I choose go into OT? The OT program i'm looking at is in San Antonio,TX thats really the only college I'd want to go to. SLP also looks quite boring and I just wanted to know if you've heard or seen this? Sorry for the long post I have alot on my mind and i'm trying to decide before fall session.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

75 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California said: I have been trying to make up my mind for the longest. I have a personality that is suited to both careers. The SLP program is near me and I can take that in Sacramento. But I was also interested in OT and was wondering what would be a better choice. I was wonder which would be a better field of work? Do you think I should go with SLP, then later if I choose go into OT? The OT program i'm looking at is in San Antonio,TX thats really the only college I'd want to go to. SLP also looks quite boring and I just wanted to know if you've heard or seen this? Sorry for the long post I have alot on my mind and i'm trying to decide before fall session.

I personally would not recommend either. They are both quite boring. Do you want to watch people eat, choke on and swallow pureed food, or do you want to watch people go to the toilet and put on their pants. If both options sound exciting to you then.. hey go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (447) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

carrie prejean in Joshua Tree, California said: By the way, since all the pageant stuff, I'm out of a job - maybe OT is for me since my beauty isn't gonna pay the bills anymore!

huh. What pageant stuff? What you talkin about anyways? Also I can't figure out what is a TCU in your above post. Oh well I have to go to the dumb job now so I can pretend to do something and bill mucho dollars for whatever it is. Have a half way decent day you poor people out there that still believe the therapy propaganda talk and think therapy is actually something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (135) Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

75 months ago

If you like working along side other co-workers, then OT may be a better option, since many SLPs I know work alone throughout the day. But I think both jobs are pretty boring. If I could do it all over again.....law enforcement all the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (92) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Goodness me original poster Learningsomethingneweveryday, if you didn't want to know the truth why did you ask? You asked if it was boring and we told you yes it is very boring. Carrie was right when she said you can tell them the truth and they don't want to hear. You don't do it yet and you asked people that do it. She was being nice enough to tell you about her experiences. She is not the only one believe me. I hear from people all the time who are so unhappy in OT but cannot change their lives because of circumstances. Many (most?) people hate this job and wish they hadn't wasted their lives on it. It seems you are still a student and are mad that someone tells you how awful the field you have chosen is and you want to deny it and defend your decision. Obviously you have doubts or you wouldn't have posed the question to begin with. I could say you are very immature because you fought back at the person answering your question because she told you what you didn't want to hear. Go ahead into the career we really don't care what you do, we were just stating our opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (80) Reply - Report abuse

capgirly in New Baltimore, Michigan

69 months ago

I just received my Masters in Speech and Language pathology. I absolutely love the fact that I have sooo many options. I can work in schools, hospitals, and rehabilitation clinics. If you decide you hate working with sick people, you go into working with children. I started out working in a large area hospital. The hospital does not direct hire, they use a subcontract company. However, I have really enjoyed it. I haven't decided if I am going to continue in this area, but its nice to know that I can go into the schools (an area district has already approached me). I don't know enough about OT to comment, but thought I would give you my 2 cents. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in Modesto, California

69 months ago

capgirly in New Baltimore, Michigan said: I just received my Masters in Speech and Language pathology. I absolutely love the fact that I have sooo many options. I can work in schools, hospitals, and rehabilitation clinics. If you decide you hate working with sick people, you go into working with children. I started out working in a large area hospital. The hospital does not direct hire, they use a subcontract company. However, I have really enjoyed it. I haven't decided if I am going to continue in this area, but its nice to know that I can go into the schools (an area district has already approached me). I don't know enough about OT to comment, but thought I would give you my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Thank you for the comment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SLP4 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

69 months ago

I am an SLP and I have worked for several large therapy companies and let me tell you that none of the SLPs I work with use standardized tests, nor do I sit down for more than 15 minutes on any given day. In fact, I worked ten hours today without a lunch - that is normal for many SLPs to have CRAZY days. ST is extremely difficult now secondary to productivity- which is much more difficult to obtain as an SLP because we don't have large gyms, usually there is only one SLP, maybe two compared to OT and PT, many treatments have to take place in rooms because that's where patients eat, and it takes a lot more encouragement to do therapy with these patients. The patients yell at me all day about being on puree- once in a blue moon do you get to do speech therapy with adults - the rest of the time it's doing swallowing therapy or trying to help some patient with dementia somehow retain his/her memory center. I have had both OTs and PTs from all my jobs ask me how I can stand my job. I keep leaving large companies because it's really disillusioning. Plus, OT and PT make more money even though our jobs are life and death when it comes to patient's airway. I would have done PT any day of the week - I often have to move patients to get them up for therapy. OT- not down with the toileting but they sit down WAY MORE than SLPs and they eat lunch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

SLP4 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I am an SLP and I have worked for several large therapy companies and let me tell you that none of the SLPs I work with use standardized tests, nor do I sit down for more than 15 minutes on any given day. In fact, I worked ten hours today without a lunch - that is normal for many SLPs to have CRAZY days. ST is extremely difficult now secondary to productivity- which is much more difficult to obtain as an SLP because we don't have large gyms, usually there is only one SLP, maybe two compared to OT and PT, many treatments have to take place in rooms because that's where patients eat, and it takes a lot more encouragement to do therapy with these patients. The patients yell at me all day about being on puree- once in a blue moon do you get to do speech therapy with adults - the rest of the time it's doing swallowing therapy or trying to help some patient with dementia somehow retain his/her memory center. I have had both OTs and PTs from all my jobs ask me how I can stand my job. I keep leaving large companies because it's really disillusioning. Plus, OT and PT make more money even though our jobs are life and death when it comes to patient's airway. I would have done PT any day of the week - I often have to move patients to get them up for therapy. OT- not down with the toileting but they sit down WAY MORE than SLPs and they eat lunch!

Thank you so much for the comment, it still gives me alot to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SLP4 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

69 months ago

No problem - I really wanted to address the other comments regarding speech seeming like a piece of cake - it's not in a SNF/hospital - you are actually dealing with life and death sometimes with aspiration/trachs/vents. I don't really sit down a whole lot, maybe a little to write notes, but these contract companies have productivity rates that you do have to adhere to and so you wind up trying to do large groups too so you don't have to clock out and stay late without being paid to meet productivity. All contract companies have productivity if you work for one, and it's a lot harder for SLPs to meet the rates for the aforementioned reasons (my current one wants 90% and evals don't count, only treats). No one really talks about that in grad school - especially mine that was very pediatric-centered. Schools are busy but not as scary license-wise, but it has it's own set of rewards/problems. OT and PT are also busy and yes, more physical and you will have to do with toileting, but I do oral care, which I still try not to gag during. Just being honest, lol. I do have to lift people with CNAs/other therapists, and position people to feed them properly. I think you should definitely shadow as many people as possible to decide- see them in different settings- hospital, SNF, schools, clinics, and grill the people you are with to find out what they ike, what they dislike. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thank you for the advice,I will try to shadow a few professionals when I can. I was thinking of going for the SLPA program that is offered at my community college and then go from there. But its hard not to also go for nursing, seeing as so many people are going into it. But I don't want/need the pressure, not that kind anyways. I like the idea of being independent and working on my own. Is your being so busy have to do with the fact that Florida as I heard it was a hot bed for SLPs? Meaning very high demand? I want to work in Chicago and possibly be a traveling SLP if life permits. Can you tell me about other settings you've worked in? How was your experience with them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

SLP4 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: No problem - I really wanted to address the other comments regarding speech seeming like a piece of cake - it's not in a SNF/hospital - you are actually dealing with life and death sometimes with aspiration/trachs/vents. I don't really sit down a whole lot, maybe a little to write notes, but these contract companies have productivity rates that you do have to adhere to and so you wind up trying to do large groups too so you don't have to clock out and stay late without being paid to meet productivity. All contract companies have productivity if you work for one, and it's a lot harder for SLPs to meet the rates for the aforementioned reasons (my current one wants 90% and evals don't count, only treats). No one really talks about that in grad school - especially mine that was very pediatric-centered. Schools are busy but not as scary license-wise, but it has it's own set of rewards/problems. OT and PT are also busy and yes, more physical and you will have to do with toileting, but I do oral care, which I still try not to gag during. Just being honest, lol. I do have to lift people with CNAs/other therapists, and position people to feed them properly. I think you should definitely shadow as many people as possible to decide- see them in different settings- hospital, SNF, schools, clinics, and grill the people you are with to find out what they ike, what they dislike. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice,I will try to shadow a few professionals when I can. I was thinking of going for the SLPA program that is offered at my community college and then go from there. But its hard not to also go for nursing, seeing as so many people are going into it. But I don't want/need the pressure, not that kind anyways. I like the idea of being independent and working on my own. Is your being so busy have to do with the fact that Florida as I heard it was a hot bed for SLPs? Meaning very high demand? I want to work in Chicago and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SLP Lady in Antioch, Tennessee

67 months ago

I have been a practicing SLP for 10 years and I love my job. I work in a SNF (nursing home) and I eat lunch every day. Productivity has not been an issue for me, but I work for a company that has it's own rehab team. My job is not boring. I do use a lot of standarized tests to show progress and to get patient baselines. As far as being a SLP aide is concerned the American Speech and Hearing Association does not certify and the pay is really low for these postions. Most people who become aides have a very difficult time finding a job. As far as salary is concerned, I am the highest paid of all the therapists (OT and PT). As far as being less stressful than OT I can't believe that. Try explaining to a patient that they may never regain normal speech again or explaining that a patient must eat blended foods for the rest of their lives. I do make excellent money and I have great benefits. I make $88,000 per year. How's that for a career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OT09 in Columbus, Ohio

67 months ago

I am a practicing OT and I LOVE my job. My sister is an SLP and loves her job as well. Sure there are things we don't like but that's just part of being in the working world haha! Each job requires similar personalities. I debated between OT and SLP for a LONG time too. I chose OT because I felt as if I could make a difference in someone's life more effectively through this profession vs. speech therapy. That's just me. My sister chose speech for the same reason. SLPs and OTs usually work very closely with each other in most job settings. If you haven't already, I think you should job shadow both to get a better idea. I shadowed an OT in 3 different settings and a SLP in 2 different settings before I made a decision. I had some very rewarding experiences while shadowing an OT, which I also played a big role in swaying me towards their side! If you are a caring, compassionate, patient, creative person you will do GREAT in this field. There are days when there is a lot of paper work but the rewarding factor of this job definitely outweighs the boring part!! Overall, I am COMPLETELY happy with my career choice. By the way...our salaries are very similar. Good luck with your decision...I think either way you will be happy!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aries Girl in Modesto, California

67 months ago

OT09 in Columbus, Ohio said: I am a practicing OT and I LOVE my job. My sister is an SLP and loves her job as well. Sure there are things we don't like but that's just part of being in the working world haha! Each job requires similar personalities. I debated between OT and SLP for a LONG time too. I chose OT because I felt as if I could make a difference in someone's life more effectively through this profession vs. speech therapy. That's just me. My sister chose speech for the same reason. SLPs and OTs usually work very closely with each other in most job settings. If you haven't already, I think you should job shadow both to get a better idea. I shadowed an OT in 3 different settings and a SLP in 2 different settings before I made a decision. I had some very rewarding experiences while shadowing an OT, which I also played a big role in swaying me towards their side! If you are a caring, compassionate, patient, creative person you will do GREAT in this field. There are days when there is a lot of paper work but the rewarding factor of this job definitely outweighs the boring part!! Overall, I am COMPLETELY happy with my career choice. By the way...our salaries are very similar. Good luck with your decision...I think either way you will be happy!! :)

WOW! Thank you so much! I like both fields and think I would be perfectly matched for both as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

SLP Lady in Antioch, Tennessee said: I have been a practicing SLP for 10 years and I love my job. I work in a SNF (nursing home) and I eat lunch every day. Productivity has not been an issue for me, but I work for a company that has it's own rehab team. My job is not boring. I do use a lot of standarized tests to show progress and to get patient baselines. As far as being a SLP aide is concerned the American Speech and Hearing Association does not certify and the pay is really low for these postions. Most people who become aides have a very difficult time finding a job. As far as salary is concerned, I am the highest paid of all the therapists (OT and PT). As far as being less stressful than OT I can't believe that. Try explaining to a patient that they may never regain normal speech again or explaining that a patient must eat blended foods for the rest of their lives. I do make excellent money and I have great benefits. I make $88,000 per year. How's that for a career?

Thanks for the info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SLPer in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

As an SLP in a SNF that is transferring over to a TCU, I can say very definitively that I have a full work day and definitely do not sit on my butt and do nothing. I am sorry to you, OT who posted that you hate your job/life, that you are so unsatisfied in your job and, I suspect, our life. Maybe you should look for a new job/career path and give your job to someone who wants it and will be willing to work hard. It is disgusting to me that you would give such horrible advice to an up-and-comer in out field. How about giving yourself and fellow therapists some credit. Lord know we work hard enough for it.
My first love was acute rehab and I have been looking for a job in that setting for a while. In the meantime I work in a SNF/TCU and enjoy it more than I thought I would. I enjoy the medically complex patients and feel I have learned a lot. It is true you deal with life and death, moreso than in PT or OT. At this facility I deal wih swallowing, speech, language as well as cognition. In fact, I do more cognitive therapy than the OT in my building. I also work PRN in and acute care hospital and love it. I love doing MBSs and the constant learning that takes place in a hospital.
There is also the pediatric route or working in schools, which by no means is an easy job for an SLP. All the SLPs I know in schools are totally overstretched and underpaid.
I would say go SLP. I live my job and can't imagine doing anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

SLPer in Denver, Colorado said: As an SLP in a SNF that is transferring over to a TCU, I can say very definitively that I have a full work day and definitely do not sit on my butt and do nothing. I am sorry to you, OT who posted that you hate your job/life, that you are so unsatisfied in your job and, I suspect, our life. Maybe you should look for a new job/career path and give your job to someone who wants it and will be willing to work hard. It is disgusting to me that you would give such horrible advice to an up-and-comer in out field. How about giving yourself and fellow therapists some credit. Lord know we work hard enough for it.
My first love was acute rehab and I have been looking for a job in that setting for a while. In the meantime I work in a SNF/TCU and enjoy it more than I thought I would. I enjoy the medically complex patients and feel I have learned a lot. It is true you deal with life and death, moreso than in PT or OT. At this facility I deal wih swallowing, speech, language as well as cognition. In fact, I do more cognitive therapy than the OT in my building. I also work PRN in and acute care hospital and love it. I love doing MBSs and the constant learning that takes place in a hospital.
There is also the pediatric route or working in schools, which by no means is an easy job for an SLP. All the SLPs I know in schools are totally overstretched and underpaid.
I would say go SLP. I live my job and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I love all the info you guys are giving me. I really like the SLP field and think I might give it a shot after all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fozail Raja in Boca Raton, Florida

67 months ago

Aries Girl in Modesto, California said: Thank you for taking the time to reply, I love all the info you guys are giving me. I really like the SLP field and think I might give it a shot after all.

I think there are a lot of jobs out there for Occupational Therapists.
www.ardorhealth.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Fozail Raja in Boca Raton, Florida said: I think there are a lot of jobs out there for Occupational Therapists.
www.ardorhealth.com

Your right I do see more jobs for Occupational Therapist, I think the best thing for me to do is get my associate's degree and then go from there. I feel drawn to Occupational Therapy for some strange reason and I don't know why. Maybe its the psychology aspect that is attracting me to the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia

66 months ago

Has anyone ever thought of "following their passion"? I think both careers seem very interesting as well as PT because you are involved in a process that makes life easier for your patients. You get to see some improvements with people you work with right? I mean, that is great to me! I think it all about what interest you more. Me, I am torn between OT and SLP, but probably going with SLP because I have a strong interest in cognitive function as well as communication techniques. I am an LPN and finishing my BS degree in Psychology. I am not sure where to go from there, but I am attracted to the behavioral and cognitive aspects of healthcare more than anything else. I still have much to learn too, but obviously, I will learn the most by shadowing because these posts are more rants than anything. Nothing personal to anyone in particular.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Oh also, to comment on some things said earlier about prereqs for OT, yes, there are prereqs for OTs AND prereqs for SLPs. From my research in schools, BOTH claim that you can have an undergrad degree in anything. They just require different prereqs so the process of entering either graduate program is about the same with the exception of the subjects studied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jmatthews31 in Memphis, Tennessee

66 months ago

Hi,

I saw this thread and wanted to add my insight as to the SLP in the school setting. I am working on a waiver for a school district completing pre-requisites and graduate program for SLP. SLP in the schools is the most overworked, overstretched, work I have done yet in life. I was offered the job and accepted with only knowing little of SLP and what the actual work consisted of. While the work with the students and seeing them improve is rewarding, the amount of work placed on me is next to impossible, and with the everchanging laws and restraints placed upon school personnel, it has been very very stressful. If I continue in SLP I will hope to work in hospital setting as soon as possible, because from my shadowing of an SLP in that setting, the work while busy of course was nothing compared to exhausted workload of an SLP in the school setting. I have 70 students across 4 schools and I am barely able to see them during the week with the overload of paperwork (which is astronomical). If I could suggest one thing, do not become SLP in the school setting, sure the time off and vacations are nice, but teaching would be the way to go if that is your incentive. If you have any questions whatsoever let me know. I know what it means to struggle with career decisions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you everyone! I love all the information that all of you are giving me and contributing to this thread.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chris s c in Sacramento, California

66 months ago

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia said: Has anyone ever thought of "following their passion"? I think both careers seem very interesting as well as PT because you are involved in a process that makes life easier for your patients. You get to see some improvements with people you work with right? I mean, that is great to me! I think it all about what interest you more. Me, I am torn between OT and SLP, but probably going with SLP because I have a strong interest in cognitive function as well as communication techniques. I am an LPN and finishing my BS degree in Psychology. I am not sure where to go from there, but I am attracted to the behavioral and cognitive aspects of healthcare more than anything else. I still have much to learn too, but obviously, I will learn the most by shadowing because these posts are more rants than anything. Nothing personal to anyone in particular.

although only about 4 or 5 percent of OT's work in mental health settings today that doesn't negate the fact that that is where the profession began! People may work more in SNF's because theirs more money there and because there aren't that many mental health jobs around. But honestly as a holistic profession that began in mental health that is the first thing we usually look for. There is a heavy emphasis on mental health in the curriculum and all those things get implemented in phys dys settings as well! I'm not sure what SLP's learn in school but OT is definitely, even MOSTLY dealing with cognitive disorders, so I'm not sure why you would go to SLP for that reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SLPer in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

SLPs treat cognitive disorders in subacute settings far more often than OTs do. I work in subacute and that is a big part of my caseload. In that setting OTs work primarily on ADLs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

SLPer in Denver, Colorado said: SLPs treat cognitive disorders in subacute settings far more often than OTs do. I work in subacute and that is a big part of my caseload. In that setting OTs work primarily on ADLs.

Ok bro... in that setting at your location the OTs do ADLs and you do cognitive. Great for you, however I hope you are smart enough to know that things are different across states and even locations. For example, our professor was telling us the other day that the question of who deals with a patients swallowing varies greatly across different locations. (same setting just different places). In some the SLP only does it, in others only the OT does it, and in the rest both SLP and OT do swallowing. You can deny things all you want on a forum but that doesn't mean their not true anymore lol. FYI I did all my volunteer hours at a pediatric sub acute setting and honestly all the SLP did there was swallowing and speech/communication. The OT handled ALL cognitive disorders so no your wrong on that "slp treats this FAR more often" comment. People really need to admit when they don't have all the info, I'm tired of ppl claiming allknowledge on settings and instances thats the main problem with this forum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

SLPer in Beverly Hills, California

66 months ago

Ok, bro, if you want to be like that. You are very rude. No, I have not worked in all settings in all states but I have worked in subacute and acute care settings in 3 states and this is how it has been in all 3. So, no, I do not have all the information, I was simply speaking from my own experience. I thought the original question was asking for people's opinions and experiences. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I don't feel that anyone on this forum, including myself deserves to be spoken to like that. We are, however, fellow therapists. I'm glad I don't work with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

chris s c in Sacramento, California said: although only about 4 or 5 percent of OT's work in mental health settings today that doesn't negate the fact that that is where the profession began! People may work more in SNF's because theirs more money there and because there aren't that many mental health jobs around. But honestly as a holistic profession that began in mental health that is the first thing we usually look for. There is a heavy emphasis on mental health in the curriculum and all those things get implemented in phys dys settings as well! I'm not sure what SLP's learn in school but OT is definitely, even MOSTLY dealing with cognitive disorders, so I'm not sure why you would go to SLP for that reason.

Please don't take one thing I say out of the complete context of the post I made. The first sentence states the topic. I simply just don't understand all the complaining on here about anything. If someone is not happy with what they have pursued, then they should pursue something else. That is all that I was getting at, but I threw in my perspective too as someone looking in on the outside. I didn't say anything assuming that OTs or SLPs were all mental health. I simply stated my feelings on mental health. I find both professions equally interesting. The question of following your passion that I stated previously was only directed to anybody who is on the fence. Do you want to help people talk and swallow? or Do you want to help people regain skills to have a decent quality of life? That is all that I am getting at, and these are the questions I am asking myself. OT might be for me, but it is too premature for me to make that decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

SLPer in Beverly Hills, California said: Ok, bro, if you want to be like that. You are very rude. No, I have not worked in all settings in all states but I have worked in subacute and acute care settings in 3 states and this is how it has been in all 3. So, no, I do not have all the information, I was simply speaking from my own experience. I thought the original question was asking for people's opinions and experiences. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I don't feel that anyone on this forum, including myself deserves to be spoken to like that. We are, however, fellow therapists. I'm glad I don't work with you.

Honestly, I don't know why some people on here, or in the real world, are always trying to outshine the other. Therapy deserves respect across the board. We are sllied health! We all contribut something the other doesn't. As far as cognitive disorders, nurses work with them too! So what! Last time I checked, Speech/communication disorders were related to cognitive processes. As a nurse, both professions get my respect. Yes, this is a place for opinion. A place for the curious to learn like me. Thank for the helpful contributions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

whoops! "allied" health hehe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

SLPer in Beverly Hills, California said: Ok, bro, if you want to be like that. You are very rude. No, I have not worked in all settings in all states but I have worked in subacute and acute care settings in 3 states and this is how it has been in all 3. So, no, I do not have all the information, I was simply speaking from my own experience. I thought the original question was asking for people's opinions and experiences. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I don't feel that anyone on this forum, including myself deserves to be spoken to like that. We are, however, fellow therapists. I'm glad I don't work with you.

lol firstly we aren't fellow therapists, I am only a student. But as a therapist I would expect you to at least know that OTs deal with cognitive disorders as well as SLPs within almost any setting. Even if we are not directly treating cognitive disorders we still take them into account as therapists correct? THAT was my point, and if you read it thinking of an off color tone then you may have misconstrued it as rude however, that was not the intent of the message. Im not the one on here bashing professions, and my SLP example was just to show how things are different trans-location it could very well be the total opposite situation just across the street!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia said: Please don't take one thing I say out of the complete context of the post I made. The first sentence states the topic. I simply just don't understand all the complaining on here about anything. If someone is not happy with what they have pursued, then they should pursue something else. That is all that I was getting at, but I threw in my perspective too as someone looking in on the outside. I didn't say anything assuming that OTs or SLPs were all mental health. I simply stated my feelings on mental health. I find both professions equally interesting. The question of following your passion that I stated previously was only directed to anybody who is on the fence. Do you want to help people talk and swallow? or Do you want to help people regain skills to have a decent quality of life? That is all that I am getting at, and these are the questions I am asking myself. OT might be for me, but it is too premature for me to make that decision.

I'm not sure why you quoted me in this... my post wasn't even a response to you lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

lol and there I go quoting the wrong person! hahaha! man this is a mess! lol o well...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia said: Please don't take one thing I say out of the complete context of the post I made. The first sentence states the topic. I simply just don't understand all the complaining on here about anything. If someone is not happy with what they have pursued, then they should pursue something else. That is all that I was getting at, but I threw in my perspective too as someone looking in on the outside. I didn't say anything assuming that OTs or SLPs were all mental health. I simply stated my feelings on mental health. I find both professions equally interesting. The question of following your passion that I stated previously was only directed to anybody who is on the fence. Do you want to help people talk and swallow? or Do you want to help people regain skills to have a decent quality of life? That is all that I am getting at, and these are the questions I am asking myself. OT might be for me, but it is too premature for me to make that decision.

Disregard the last post, I quoted this message by accident. But i guess now I have to respond to it :). Neways, PLEASE understand that my post is NOT confrontational! I use CAPS and exclamation points!!!! because I'm exited about what I'm saying! not because I'm yelling or even angry lol... I was just trying to point out that OT works in mental health too and that mental health is actually our focus as a profession! I just didn't want you to be misinformed about nething, ie. I wasn't attacking your post I was simply trying to give you some more info just in case you didn't have it! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Jonesboro, Georgia

66 months ago

chris s c in Sacramento, California said: Disregard the last post, I quoted this message by accident. But i guess now I have to respond to it :). Neways, PLEASE understand that my post is NOT confrontational! I use CAPS and exclamation points!!!! because I'm exited about what I'm saying! not because I'm yelling or even angry lol... I was just trying to point out that OT works in mental health too and that mental health is actually our focus as a profession! I just didn't want you to be misinformed about nething, ie. I wasn't attacking your post I was simply trying to give you some more info just in case you didn't have it! :)

no worries...yeah! I am excited about the mental health aspect of it all too...thanks for your info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ToddLPN in Jonesboro, Georgia said: no worries...yeah! I am excited about the mental health aspect of it all too...thanks for your info!

cooleo bro

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cs

66 months ago

KDogg in San Mateo, California said: First of all Carrie P.

Do you even know what you are talking about? I have looked extensively at curriculums of both professions across the nation. If you look at the curriculum list of most SLP masters they admit you with any bachelors degree. EVERY OT masters program requires that you finish a set of pre-reqs such as neuroanatomy, multiple psychology courses, etc. You can pretend like you know what you are talking about, but you are obviously a bitter SLP with so much free time on your hands because all you do is teach someone how not to drool and pronounce S without a lisp.

"If you look at the curriculum list of most SLP masters they admit you with any bachelors "= completely false!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Cs said: "If you look at the curriculum list of most SLP masters they admit you with any bachelors "= completely false!!!

undergrad school=grad school
prereqs=master's in SLP AND OT!!

I haven't found ONE SLP or OT program that doen't have PREREQs! Too much immaturity on these boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jazzyjmj in Mckinney, Texas

66 months ago

For those considering Speech as a career, please THINK AGAIN! I am a Speech Therapy Assistant working in the schools, I've been doing it for 5 years. This is what we do. We are given IEP's with the student's goals, which are either Artic or Language goals. Then we pull them in groups during times that the teacher choses. So, you have no control over which kids go in which group. You will have a group of 3 and there will be one kid working on his R, one kid on his SH and the other kid working on WH questions or language goals. My first supervisor taught me to do therapy with kid games like Candy Land and just have the kids take turns making their sounds or answering WH questions. I used Games and Super Duper cards for all types of Artic and Language goals. After a year, it got to be very old and extremely boring and I didn't know what other things I could do with them. My second supervisor told me to integrate children books into therapy. I did, but the Articulation kids weren't getting much practice and our session was only 30 minutes long. I didn't see the logic in that, when it didn't seem to hit their goals as much, but it was more educational and less boring. With kids who have stuttering, both supervisors told me to do these breathing exercises with the student. One supervisor, told me to have the student "Sing out his Phrases". All in all, the student's stuttering was never cured. So, as a Speech Therapist you will be sitting in a group of 3 kids playing games and drilling those sounds. Your have no control over their progress because it is all developmental anyways. While teachers are doing 6 week tests and report cards, you do nothing. While teachers are tied to their classroom the whole day, you have down time and breaks especially in the middle of the day when most of the kids have lunch. When Parents ask you what is wrong with their child you say, it's developmental. It is a cop out job and the laziest of all. Very BORING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I have not worked in the health setting as a Speech Therapy Assistant, but I know that you will be working with stroke victims or paralyzed victims, sometimes children, who have lost the muscular functioning in their esophagus. You will be working with this electric swallowing device that is hooked up to the patients throat. It helps the patient swallow and your therapy with them will be more like "Swallowing Therapy" instead of "Speech Therapy". If you want to work with old peoples throats and help them keep food in, then go for it. They make good money because of the "Swallowing Therapy". Other than that, you might also work with Stroke victims who lost part of their facial functioning and can't talk or move their facial muscles. So, if that sounds like fun sitting with them and trying to get them to say things like "Hello" and "Help", go for it. But, I'm telling you it is BORING. In the schools, we have to work with Life Skills kids who have Cerebral Palsy and are Mentally Retarded and have to teach them how to talk with their mouth, hands or with pictures. The progress is incredibly slow and you will find yourself doing this therapy over and over and no progress. It is so BORING! I asked my supervisor what it was like working in the hospital. She said it was stressful because the Hospital is not as laid back as the Schools are. You cannot be late, your paperwork cannot be flawed in the hospital. In the schools, you can get away with murder. She also said, your sessions will be back to back all day long working with those swallowing devices. FUN! In the schools, kids love you because you are the Party Teacher, the Fun and Games teacher and you really don't do a whole lot. You do the basic Speech Evaluation and Annual Review Meetings, but that is it. Also, it is hard to teach people how to move their mouth and where to place their tongue, especially Kindergartners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Most people think Speech Pathologists have special knowledge and Speech Pathologists are the most proud and arrogant people. Whenever I ask my Supervisor or any Speech Pathologist a question, they can never give me a direct answer. My supervisor told me that i need to get my Masters because there is a lot of knowledge to be gained. When I asked her what knowledge, she told me phonological processes and how to address them. Fancy terminology for common articulation errors in students. When I asked her why she uses that fancy terminology, instead of keeping it simple so the parents could understand, she got annoyed and walked away. It is a load of CaCa and in our meetings with the parents, we feed the CaCa to the parents like salespeople who market a product. Lies. There is no educational need for Speech Therapy or Occupational Therapy. My OT does nothing with her students except play with these little devices. I ask her what OT's do and she gave me some more Fancy Terminology and spun me around, then walked away. That is how they do it. They lie and lie to themselves. They won't admit to anyone or themselves that their job is empty and they don't really do much or anything of real significance. I foresee Speech and OT being eventually purged from the Schools soon. Most principals know they are a waste of time and money. SLP's are seen as highly paid for doing nothing and they walk around so Arrogant, like they have earned it because they have a Masters and their CCC's. Truth is, they have no special knowledge than a Regular Classroom Teacher does. There is no specialized knowledge in Speech other than Swallowing Therapy. You won't deal with that in the schools though. Speech therapy is not rocket science, it is not hard to teach kids how to make their sounds. It is all developmental, which means "In Due Time." My supervisor now sells Mary Kay for a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Right now I'm still in Speech, but am looking for my escape route. That is why I'm here on the forums. I have thought of Nursing because it would be full of action and I would feel like my job is important. But, I've read many forums with so many Nurses who go into details about what their job is like and these nurses are not just whining or being negative, they are stating the facts. So, not sure about Nursing. I am also looking into being a Physical Therapy Assistant. Unlike OT and Speech Therapy, PT's actually do the work that their Title is named after. "Physical", muscles, movement. I imagine it to be kind of like a Physical trainer. It would be easier to show a patient how to move their Arm or Leg muscles, rather than their Mouth or Tongue muscles, as in Speech Therapy. Also, you don't need a Masters to be an Assistant and it pays pretty good, although not as much as a Masters level PT. But eventually you could get grandfathered in. I love kids and working in the schools, so I could also switch to Teaching in the classroom throughout the year and then working as a Physical Therapy Assistant or maybe a Nurse in the Summer. I really can't see myself doing Speech for the rest of my life. I think I'd rather wipe peoples bottoms because I am someone who needs to feel like I'm doing something Useful or for the Cause. In Speech Therapy, you can't fix anything. You can't fix their Speech Problem. It is hard to show them, it is hard to explain to them what they are doing and what they need to do. They do not understand the mouth and tongue placement. You can't fix a stuttering problem. The Articulation disorders get worked out on their own as the child grows and matures, so with or without a Speech Therapist, the child will grow out of it on his own. You cannot fix the language disorders when the child's parents speak spanish at home or when the child's parents talk HICK or have very improper grammar usage. You can't fix that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

chris s c in Sacramento, California said: Ok bro... in that setting at your location the OTs do ADLs and you do cognitive. Great for you, however I hope you are smart enough to know that things are different across states and even locations. For example, our professor was telling us the other day that the question of who deals with a patients swallowing varies greatly across different locations. (same setting just different places). In some the SLP only does it, in others only the OT does it, and in the rest both SLP and OT do swallowing. You can deny things all you want on a forum but that doesn't mean their not true anymore lol. FYI I did all my volunteer hours at a pediatric sub acute setting and honestly all the SLP did there was swallowing and speech/communication. The OT handled ALL cognitive disorders so no your wrong on that "slp treats this FAR more often" comment. People really need to admit when they don't have all the info, I'm tired of ppl claiming allknowledge on settings and instances thats the main problem with this forum

I am in Tennessee and SLPs are doing a lot of cognitive skills tx. I have been doing cognitive therapy for 10 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Jazzyjmj in Mckinney, Texas said: Right now I'm still in Speech, but am looking for my escape route.

If none of your patients are making progress then that is a problem with the therapist and not the patients. Goals should be changing a lot. Most of my patients progress fairly quickly unless they have a ton of cognitive deficits. I have the feeling you are an assistant and not an SLP (not a put down by the way). You have to understand the field in order to practice it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Jazzyjmj in Mckinney, Texas said: I have not worked in the health setting as a Speech Therapy Assistant, but I know that you will be working with stroke victims or paralyzed victims, sometimes children, who have lost the muscular functioning in their esophagus.

Just to clarify, the "electric swallowing device" to which you refer is called Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation and it does not affect the esophagus. It requires 28 hours of additional training beyond the master's degree for certification and it works on the oral and pharyngeal muscles not the esophagus. Also, speech therapy is a lot more involved than just communication. It also address articulation deficits, language deficits, cognitive deficits, swallowing dysfunction, aphasia, dysarthria, apraxia of speech, stuttering, cluttering, and many more areas. Maybe you should try some extra courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Yes I'm an Assistant and I have never worked in the health setting nor do I have a desire to. I do not think that "Swallowing Therapy" is something that would be rewarding to me in a career. My supervisor told me that it is called VitaStem, the electronic device they use to help patients swallow. If you go to you tube and type in the key words "Speech Therapy Swallowing", there are a few videos where a Speech Pathologist demonstrates how to do this therapy and it doesn't look appealing to me at all. Granted, they make good money, as this is very serious Therapy, where a patient can actually choke or die. Still not my cup of tea, Sorry! As an Assistant I am not allowed to do Vitastem anyways, you have to have a Masters, as you need very specialized training, probably the only specialized training the degree has to offer. The center, the true core of Speech Therapy is in VitaStem and Swallowing therapy. I realize that now, but in the public schools, Speech Therapy is kind of a joke, yet these Speech Pathologists think they are so special, for what, teaching a kid how to make his R sound. Teaching a kid how to use correct grammar. Mostly in the schools, it is Articulation, Vocabulary and Grammar, especially for bilingual kids or low socioeconomic kids. Also, some Autism and very few Stuttering, Thank God. Because there is nothing a Speech Therapist can do for Stuttering, unless they have specialized training in that area, which most Speech Therapists have a basic Speech degree that does not specialize in Stuttering. If I had a desire to go into Swallowing Therapy, I would take extra courses, but I don't. I don't think that sounds like something I want to do for the rest of my life. I am going to switch to Physical Therapy instead, working with Muscles instead. I do not want to drop money on a Master's in Speech, when I know it is a dead end, for me at least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

As far as progress goes, my Articulation kids make the best progress mostly because of their own maturing. It is not hard to teach 2nd grade and up. The problem is they do not carry it over outside of Speech. So, they articulate correctly with me, but when they leave they go right back to misarticulating and I have no control over that. My language kids, if they make progress I can assure you it is not from my measley 30 minutes of Speech Therapy. It is from being in their regular classroom and participating in all the activities that the other kids do. My Autistic kids and low functioning Mentally challenged kids, are the slowest and it is because they are mentally challenged. And my measley 30 minutes of Speech Therapy may help, but it is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW progress . . . . and extremely boring! I'm just being honest. I know I will have to experience a little of this in Physical Therapy also, but at least we get to exercise and move around. I do love working with kids, but I would actually like to teach them SOMETHING, and I think in Speech Therapy there isn't much to teach. It is a dead end and a waste of money to drop on a degree, especially for people who are from my generation. Because my generation is so honest to a fault, we want change and we will not settle and if we have to switch careers we will do it, we are not too proud to admit our job sucks and we are not too proud to take a pay cut by doing so. Everyone deserves to be happy and feel good about their job and I'm sorry I just don't. But, I am happy for you that you feel good about Speech. Some Nurses love what they do, others are suffering day in day out. If your going to work 40 hours a week for the rest of your life, do something that has a purpose or meaning to you. Speech doesn't have meaning for me and I am telling others why, because I wish someone would have told me some negatives before I bought into it. Now I know, that most would not allow themselves to admit it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

yourMAMA in Douglasville, Georgia

66 months ago

Jazzyjmj in Mckinney, Texas said: In my 5 years of experience as a Speech Assistant working in the public schools, I have had 3 supervisors who had their Masters and their CCC's and ASHA certified. (Blah, Blah, Blah) None of them were able to help the students who stuttered. They had a lot of special exercises and little techniques, but none of them could fix it. When I asked them if Speech even works for Stuttering, they could not give me an answer and it was basically an "I DON'T KNOW". Who can fix a Stuttering problem? Do they think their breathing exercises, and having the student lie on their backs, or having the student sing out their phrases, do they actually think that will fix the Stuttering problem? Then the parent asks, why is my child's stuttering getting worse, or why aren't they making progress, or what causes stuttering? Again, they gave some Caca Poopoo answer and spun it to the parent, but the bottom line was "I DON'T KNOW". My 3 Supervisors, the first one told me not to get my Masters in Speech because it was a waste of money, the second one was the proudest one and the biggest liar of all and was good at spinning lies, she was working on her principal certification. The third one told me to get my Masters or take more courses so I could gain further knowledge on fixing these Articulation disorders and Stuttering Disorders. Then she turned around and quit doing Speech and decided to sell Mary Kay instead. Their actions speak louder than words and my instinct says that Speech Therapy for the most part is a lot of fluff and it will not hold you up in the long run, unless you go into Swallowing Therapy, where all the good money is. But who wants to do that all day, does that sound appealing to you?

I had a lisp when I was a child. My speech therapist was great. I am 32 years old and am still grateful towards her. I am proof that there is improvement.
That was 24 years ago..I don't see the phase out of SLPs anytime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Jazzyjmj in Mckinney, Texas said: In my 5 years of experience as a Speech Assistant working in the public schools,blah blah blah blah blah blah. But who wants to do that all day, does that sound appealing to you?

You rant and rant..ok..it is not for you. Somebody has to do it though, and it does help whether you believe in it or not. Nobody is going to force you to believe. Some people don't believe in PT either. Some don't believe in Psychology or Chiropractic medicine. You name it, and someone has a problem with it. Your rants aren't going to help you. Go be a PT. They aren't arrogant at all HA! You are going to find BS everywhere dear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.