San Jose State OT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 548)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Katielynn in Chico, California

77 months ago

Has anyone attend San Jose OT program or knows anything about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jotendra in Sunnyvale, California

76 months ago

ya i just got into a OT program at San Jose. what whoud u like to know about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katielynn in Long Beach, California

76 months ago

What do you know about the program? Did you know the admission stats? Are you going to attend and if why did you choose SJSU over the other OT schools. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jotendra in Mountain View, California

76 months ago

well..i was trying to get into red tech program at foothill college close to my home, but i coundn't. then i decided to transfer to 4 yrs. i talked to my adviser at foothill and he gave me different option. pre-requisite for the red-tech and OT was preety much same. i went to san jose state website (www.sjsu.edu/ot) and find out more info about the program. san jose state in 10 min drive from my place and i thought its not gonna make any difference from where u graduate aslongas u have liscence. i talked to the adviser at san jose state and did some volunteer work. and i actually liked it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katielynn in Long Beach, California

76 months ago

Thanks, so you are go to SJSU for the combined BS/MS in OT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jotendra in Oakland, California

76 months ago

once u in the program, its 3 yrs BS/MS. i am in the program and the class starts from 25th aug. they only take 40 students every fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nila in Hayward, California

75 months ago

hi, was finding areas to volunteer at difficult? (especially because i take public transportation)
thanks

KB in Menlo Park, California

67 months ago

I just got in the combined BS/MS program at SJSU. There are a few requirements that the OT committee consider when selecting or accepting students in the OT program. First, they look for students who have completed all of the pre requisite courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Physics, Stats, Art, General Psyc, Abnormal Psyc, as well as all of your G.E. courses). Second, you must also have an overall GPA of 2.8 (this was just announced at our last OT meeting). The third thing they look for is completion of your 80 hours of volunteer work (40 hrs. with an OTR and 40 hrs. with a community service agency). If you have all of those 3 requirements done, you are pretty much in! Btw, Neuroanatomy is only offered at SJSU. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Big Roy in San Jose, California

67 months ago

nila in Hayward, California said: hi, was finding areas to volunteer at difficult? (especially because i take public transportation)
thanks

YES!!! finding volunteering opportunities was the hardest part for me. (and passing physio but only cuz i slacked off in the end) But yeah I called at least 100 places and most didn't hit me back for like 3 weeks... I got ONE call back and took it and it worked out...but yeah very difficult to land a place

Big Roy in San Jose, California

67 months ago

yeah and Neuro is the hardest prereq in my opinion... the others are pretty easy... especially Anatomy... but what im hearing is Kines is even harder (in the OT program) im not looking foreward to that class... but Im glad I got in this year. they upped the requirements for u guys... NOT COOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in San Jose, California

63 months ago

I am looking to fulfill my volunteer work and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where to look/whom to call. I am currently living in the San Jose area and would prefer something local, but am willing to travel a reasonable distance. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Columbus, Ohio

63 months ago

I am attending a four year college and majoring in Exercise Science. I am very interested in SJSU's OT program. I believe I have all the requirements except the hours, Neuro, and Abnormal Psyc. Am I able to apply to the program? Does anyone know? I have called the OT office numbers on the website, but nobody was in office!

Cat in San Luis Obispo, California

62 months ago

Hey everyone, I'm trying to apply to SJSU, and I'm just wondering for those who got in, did you turn in your application close to Oct 1, or closer to the deadline in Jan/Feb? They admit on a rolling basis, so I'm wondering if you guys made sure to apply early?

Also, how were your GRE scores?

Thanks!

CJ in Searcy, Arkansas

62 months ago

I was wondering the same thing, and called the office. They will call back if you leave a message and inform you of anything you need to know. I was wondering if I could just take the MAT bc I don't really have the money to take the GRE right now. Anyways, I was talking to the grad assistant and she said that by Dec would be a great time to finsih the app process. She mentioned not to just send in parts at a time and to have at least 50 hours of the vol. hours done when you send in the whole application. She mentioned it might be competitive this year. Also, how did you go about signing up for the GRE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eleanor marie in Placerville, California

62 months ago

I am also looking at SJSU possibly for the BA/MA program in the distant future. I'm going to get my COTA first and work in the field a bit first (and need more immediate financial relief).

Looking through the SJSU requirements on their website catalog, I didn't understand precisely what the Lower Division requirements were. They state very clearly the specific department prereq's and also equivilent course through california community colleges.

Can anyone direct me to a good link or break down the lower division course requirements (how many units of each area of study; what courses and sections would be acceptable).

thank you so much!
Eleanor Marie

Jennifer Alvarado in Lakewood, California

61 months ago

Do u think it is okay to send in the application by January instead of December for the Master program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Moon in San Francisco, California

61 months ago

Katielynn in Chico, California said: Has anyone attend San Jose OT program or knows anything about it?

Yes....about San Jose State.....I had some very positive experiences and some very bad ones. There is a woman in management there, or was, who picks out several students each semester to persecute. Her name is Amy Killingsworth. After graduating, I was at a conference where I met five different women who went through living hell with her and each thought it was she who was doing something wrong. I also met a clinical psychologist at a conference who was telling a group of us that SJSU has the most pathological staff he has ever encountered or heard of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sam Tran in Hayward, California

61 months ago

I am wondering what gpa and prerequisite grades gets you into the OT program. If you complete everything like volunteer hours, prerequisites, etc what are your chances to get in? Is it competitive to get in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in San Jose, California

61 months ago

Sam Tran, to get in you nee a minimum of 3.0 GPA. Check the SJSU website, it has all the info. you need.

Sarah Moon, yes, Amy Killingsworth is insane! I'm glad she doesn't teach anymore. There's also Glogoski who is a very nice lady, but very unorganized. Her tests are wayyyyyyyy off the wall and has nothing to do with her lectures. Other than that, I think the rest of staff at SJSU OT are okay.

61 months ago

I do have a GPA above 3.0. If I finish all my prerequisites, volunteer hours, etc, what are my chances of getting into the program? I am worry that they won't accept me into the program in which I will have to find another college or major.

Cat in San Luis Obispo, California

61 months ago

I went to the info meeting at SJSU and they said about 140 people apply and they only have spots for 32...so yes it is very competitive, I think it's even more competitive this year due to budget cuts. My advice would be to get in touch with the department and continue to keep in contact with them. I just recently turned in my application and they've been really helpful at answering any concerns. The higher your gpa and grades in prerequisites, the better. Try to have the majority of the prerequisites done, and the best thing to do is apply early! SJSU admits on a rolling basis so the sooner you can get it in, the better your chances. I definitely understand your concerns, it seems so competitive and all I can do now is wait! Good luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Alvarado in Lakewood, California

61 months ago

Did you have a really good GRE score. Do you need to have your GRE score before you submit the application?

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

Next year will be the first year our major will be impacted. But if you ask me its been impacted for a while now, there just used to be a lengthly process to become impacted but as some of you guessed because of the budget cuts we will begin to be impacted next fall. Looks like I got in just in time! and we have way over 140 applicants, trust me. NO ONE in the BS/MS program is earlier than 4th year (that means a senior is our youngest student). THIS is largely due to the fact that even ONE outstanding prerequisite (including hours) can rule you out. EVEN if it will be finished by the end of the spring semester in which you apply. It takes around 2 years to finish all of the pre-reqs so unless you know OT will be your major as a high school senior theres no way your starting the BS/MS program as a 3rd year. That being said we have never been told the exact amount of applicants but I looked in Killingsworths office when we where applying and there were huge stacks of applications, well over 3-400. Most of those applying had 2-3 prereqs left and IN PROGRESS to be finished at the end of spring and they still didn't get in. OT keeps gaining popularity and more people are applying all of the time. It's even worse for those of you applying to the 2 yr. masters program... sorry guys, hate to bring bad news but its better to hear the truth now so that you can prepare. God bless!

61 months ago

Oh and on a sidenote, please don't believe most of the nonsense you'll hear on this forum about the teachers or OT in general. We have great, good and bad professors just like every other major and I am not sure what Killingsworth was like as a teacher, but she's retired now. And as an undergraduate coordinator she's actually pretty koo... But a lot of people are easily intimidated (grew up sheltered) or don't like hearing the truth. They would rather sit on their a$$ and complain about stupid stuff... but oh well live your life get through school and move on. Have a good day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eleanor marie in Placerville, California

61 months ago

Big Roy and other SJSU-savvy people:

It's great to hear some good, direct information about the SJ program without too much "line noise"!
I'm just starting on my path and doing pre-req's for the COTA program at Sacramento City College. I know that there is no direct way to apply this COTA degree towards the BA.MA program at SJSU but do you know if ANY of the classes are transferable?
Yes, I need to call the SJ dept and ask some questions but any help here would be appreciated.

On a side note, I am not directly pursuing the BA/MA program from the start as I need a bit more "instant" financial gratification and also want to work in the field a bit to see if this is truly what I want to do. (Also am going to Minor in psychology as pursuing an LCSW is my second possibility).

Thanks for being active here!
Eleanor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Big Roy,

Would you mind telling me what grades you got for each prerequisites and your overall gpa? Did you repeat any prerequistes as well? Thanks for all the information.

ctt227 in California

60 months ago

I just got into the Pattern II Master's program at SJSU!! So happy! :) I thought I would give some of my info for all you prospective students out there...I know I had a ton of questions just a couple months ago, and maybe this will help some of you.

I applied to four schools, 3 in CA and 1 in WA, San Jose was definitely my top choice though because it's the best price for a Master's program and I've heard it's a good one.

-I got my undergrad in Psychology, GPA was about 3.7, I had every prerequisite done except for the Neuroanatomy that most people take online at SJSU in the summer, I got A's in all my prereqs
-I completed about 115 hours of volunteer work (at an outpatient clinic and a SNF, I was really worried about this part b/c I waited until the last minute and did all my hours in 1.5 months, right before applying)
-GRE score was just average, I met the minimum requirement and was really worried my score wasn't good enough (<1200), but I guess it was fine!
-all my letters of recs were good (my respondents gave me copies so I was able to see exactly what people were saying about me)
-and lastly, I had a strong statement of purpose that I gave to a couple of advisors to read and give me feedback on.
-also, my undergrad senior project was Pediatric OT-related so I mentioned that in my application...so definitely mention anything that you think would help you stand out a bit from all the other applicants!

During the process the two parts that I was most concerned about was getting my hours done and my GRE score. They want you to have at least 50 hours when you apply, but I honestly think the closer to 100 you have when you turn in your application, the better. Since I wasn't working, I was able to devote most of my time to volunteering.

Also, I sent in my application in early November, and heard back just 3-4 weeks later, so I definitely advise everyone to get things in order so you can apply early!! GOOD LUCK!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmc2050 in Seattle, Washington

59 months ago

Thanks so much for all these comments, it's helpful to read as I'm applying to Seattle and San Francisco area schools this year (including SJSU - wasn't able to send my materials in until mid-December though).

I wanted to add that specifically for SJSU, the Volunteer Reference Evaluation form is VERY important. I went to the info session in early December and they said that the volunteer reference form is weighted much higher than the other references, which is different than some other schools I contacted (specifically the WA state ones). They specifically mentioned that one can make up for a low GPA with a great letter of reference and lots of official volunteer hours.

Congrats, ctt227, it's cool to hear they let people know pretty soon after applying. The grad assistant told me that they look at apps once a week, on Mondays, but not during the holiday break (which is right now).

I can also confirm that they expect it to be a VERY competitive year especially due to the economy and the fact that it is one of the cheaper schools. They also strongly prefer for all materials to come together in one big package. Good luck, everybody!

Big Roy in San Pedro, California

59 months ago

Sam Tran in Hayward, California said: Big Roy,

Would you mind telling me what grades you got for each prerequisites and your overall gpa? Did you repeat any prerequistes as well? Thanks for all the information.

In the prereqs I got one C, 2 A's and the rest were B's. My overall GPA was only around a 2.4-5 but all you needed was a 2.0 when I applied. I also had excellent volunteering remarks with a letter of rec. in addition so that probably helped my case. It's A LOT harder to get in now though. Everything has changed at SJSU and OT is now an Impacted major so who knows what is going to happen... Sorry to say but we will probably only know the effects of the impaction after we see what happens next year. God bless though! I hope you guys all get in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Fresno, California

59 months ago

jotendra in Oakland, California said: once u in the program, its 3 yrs BS/MS. i am in the program and the class starts from 25th aug. they only take 40 students every fall.

Hi jotendra,
How is this 3 year program vs going 4 years? Is it a lot harder? Do you still learn the same information and get the same qualified experience?
Thanks and let me know. :)

BM26 in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

Does anyone think the Occupational Therapy classes at San Jose State University are super hard? I'm barely making it gradewise in the OT program (Pattern 1) at SJSU. I feel like I don't understand a lot of the material even after a few semesters. I'm also doubtful I'll pass the National certif. exam. Should I continue on?

59 months ago

BM26 in San Francisco, California said: Does anyone think the Occupational Therapy classes at San Jose State University are super hard? I'm barely making it gradewise in the OT program (Pattern 1) at SJSU. I feel like I don't understand a lot of the material even after a few semesters. I'm also doubtful I'll pass the National certif. exam. Should I continue on?

Well it depends... I know you didn't make it to the 3rd semester without having a good head on your shoulders because you've passed every class! But if you feel you aren't excelling because you don't LIKE the material then maybe you should invest your time in something you feel more passionate about. Because I think the classes are only hard if your not really into it ya kno? I mean I've only completed one semester but I know a cupple people who didn't do so well and it seemed like they were never REALLY interested in OT. Maybe it just sounded good in the pamphlet. HOWEVER, if this is not you and you love OT or even just like it enough to know you want to do it for a long time then I think you should stay. Especially if you've kept up a 3.0 within the major. You might find that your the type of person that just doesn't like school, but excels in the real world! Stay positive!

John in San Jose, California

59 months ago

BM26 - What year are you? I'm also in the pattern 1. I don't think the OT courses are that difficult. The hardest part of OT for myslef and most that I've talked to are the group projects as it involves a lot of time outside of class and also coordinating with the people in the group. And of course, with every group you are a part of, you're gonna someone who thinks he/she knows it all and kind of ruins it for everyone else, but that happens everywhere, so no big deal. Other than that, the program does take a lot of time. It is definitely challenging, but not impossible to finish. What are you struggling with? Any class in particular?

jotendra in Fremont, California

58 months ago

M in Fresno, California said: Hi jotendra,
How is this 3 year program vs going 4 years? Is it a lot harder? Do you still learn the same information and get the same qualified experience?
Thanks and let me know. :)

Since bunch of prerequisites classes need to be completed before getting into the program, for 3 yrs only OT classes are focused. there is not doubt to say that every semester you will learn new informatiion.

58 months ago

Hi Big Roy,
Thanks for your encouragement! I'll keep what you said in mind. Good luck with whatever you're doing :)

58 months ago

Hi John,
Sorry it took me so long to respond-was kinda busy. I just finished the 3rd semester(2nd year). I struggled with Kinesiology, PNF & NDT concepts. (I was really ill the 2nd semester. I did mediocre to bad on exams in Pediatrics, Physical Disabilities, & Neurorehab. I think the only reason I've been maintaining a 3.0 is because my grades were also based on group papers. I feel like I don't know anything(I did a lot of cramming 1-2 nites before exams, maybe that's why). Maybe if I study hard for the National exam, I'll pass.

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California

58 months ago

I was accepted to SJSU pattern II program for fall 2010. Very excited about starting.

Any ideas about where to get 50 hrs of Volunteer work?

Also, I took Anatomy this last fall but physiology was about 20 years ago, so I'm very nervous about NueroAnatomy. Can anyone tell me about their experience in SJSU summer online NueroAnatomy class? What physiology concepts do I need to review beforehand?

Sounds like I'll be seeing some of you in the fall:-)

58 months ago

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California said: I was accepted to SJSU pattern II program for fall 2010. Very excited about starting.

Any ideas about where to get 50 hrs of Volunteer work?

Also, I took Anatomy this last fall but physiology was about 20 years ago, so I'm very nervous about NueroAnatomy. Can anyone tell me about their experience in SJSU summer online NueroAnatomy class? What physiology concepts do I need to review beforehand?

Sounds like I'll be seeing some of you in the fall:-)

That's good that SJSU OT Dept. did not require you to retake they Physio class since it's been 20 years since you took it. The departmen actually made me retake my anatomy since I took it 8 years ago. Usually they have an 8 year expiration on the pre req. courses.

Anyway, to answer your question about Neuroanatomy, you really just need to know the basic anatomical parts and not so much the functions. Since the course will mainly focus on the anatomy and functions of the brain, it is helpful have basic understanding of how neurons fire and how data is transmitted, but you will have some sort of refresher to cover the basics in the first week or so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just come prepared to learn. I do suggest taking it with Dr. Hyde. He is an awesome professor! And he raps too!

58 months ago

Im not sure how long ago John took Neuroanatomy, but my OT classmates and I took the class last year and it was actually pretty complex. It is now called Neuroanatomy & Physiology so its names AND function... and we learned EVERY single part of the brain, not just basic parts we learned it in depth. Also all of the tracts and how they affect the body and what muscles they innervate, etc. We also had to intimately learn how neurons fire including hormones, nutrients, and everything else you would think you needed to know, maybe it was just me but everyone I know thought that class was pretty hard. Physio was a lot easier to me... but yeah I'm not trying to scare you at all but I took it with Dr. Hyde too and although he is a GREAT teacher love him, that class was hard core! lol... But you will do well if you take it with him because he has this grading trick that pretty much makes everyone pass, but if you have no real prior classes dealing with the brain and spinal cord then it can be pretty intense! But you'll be ok! Just don't take the class lightly or with a lot of other hard classes!

58 months ago

Thank you for the feed back on NeuroAnatomy.

Did any of you take the Online Summer Class?

M in Fresno, California

58 months ago

Thanks, do you know if the prerequisites can be taken at a junior college and if the 3 year program accepts students from junior colleges?
I heard it's pretty hard to get in.

58 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Im not sure how long ago John took Neuroanatomy, but my OT classmates and I took the class last year and it was actually pretty complex. It is now called Neuroanatomy & Physiology so its names AND function... and we learned EVERY single part of the brain, not just basic parts we learned it in depth. Also all of the tracts and how they affect the body and what muscles they innervate, etc. We also had to intimately learn how neurons fire including hormones, nutrients, and everything else you would think you needed to know, maybe it was just me but everyone I know thought that class was pretty hard. Physio was a lot easier to me... but yeah I'm not trying to scare you at all but I took it with Dr. Hyde too and although he is a GREAT teacher love him, that class was hard core! lol... But you will do well if you take it with him because he has this grading trick that pretty much makes everyone pass, but if you have no real prior classes dealing with the brain and spinal cord then it can be pretty intense! But you'll be ok! Just don't take the class lightly or with a lot of other hard classes!

Big Roy,

I took the class about 3 semesters ago and nothing has changed since. The class is still called Neuroanatomy and it covers the same materials that we covered 3 semesters ago. I know this because i have a friend who is in the class now. I did not say the class was easy. I simply said to be prepared for class, just know the basics of the brains anatomy and how neurons fire and communicate. You don't have to know the "complex" things now. Once you are part of the class, you will learn the so called "complex" areas of Neuroanatomy.

Again, don't worry, its definitely "complex," but as long as you study the material, you should be fine. Good luck to ya!

58 months ago

Ok I wasn't trying to start an argument... lol but Maybe your friend doesn't go to SJSU or something because if you go on mysjsu and look up the class (Biol 109) it clearly states Neuroanatomy AND Physiology... just like it did when I took it last year. Also no matter how much you "prepare" for this class the amount of material is still going to hit pretty hard if you have never taken a neuro class before. And the word "complex" does pretty much sum it up... I remember having the feeling that we were learning pretty much everything brain and spinal cord and that the class really couldn't be harder or else it would just get repetitive. However since this person has already taken physio they have a solid foundation in neuro already. There were about 4 or 5 people in my class who went to class everyday, did all the reading, and absorbed everything pretty well and received A's or B's on every test. The rest of us didn't do so well SO like I said... he has an extremely helpful trick that you'll find out near the end of class that pretty much makes everyone pass (i don't want to ruin the surprise!) So YES in the end you WILL be ok... more than ok actually you'll probably end up getting an A. But if it wasn't for that trick the average grade would have been somewhere around D+ - C-. (Average final score is 60%).... sooooo I think that warrants the class to be called complex... but like i said, take Hyde and you'll be more than ok!

58 months ago

And no I didn't take the online class. I've never taken one before either so I couldn't begin to tell you the differences. I just remember being plowed with material the first day and then realizing that if I did the reading before class it was a lot easier to digest! So I would suggest the same strategy (of doing what your supposed to do ;) for the online class as well...

58 months ago

M in Fresno, California said: Thanks, do you know if the prerequisites can be taken at a junior college and if the 3 year program accepts students from junior colleges?
I heard it's pretty hard to get in.

You can take everything but Neuro at a JC... Neuro has to be taken at state... and I know someone in my class who transferred from a JC but just make sure that the OT dept. accepts all of your classes from the JC because anatomy is usually not accepted. This is due to our schools use of cadavers in the Lab portion and I don't think JC's can do that... so at the very least you'll have to take the Anatomy Lab portion ONLY and Neuroanatomy & Physiology at SJSU... but other than that you will be ok! And its only hard to get in if you don't have all of the prerequisites complete. If you have everything done you should have nothing to worry about! Should be a lot easier to get in with the increased GPA requirement too... also there are less students being accepted so those two should help! I hope you all get in I love this program!

58 months ago

Sam Tran in San Jose, California said: Can we take Bio 66 Physiology at a JC? I received a D for it last semester with Cargill so I would need to retake it. Is Neuroanatomy with Hyde a lot harder than Physiology with Cargill? Cause seriously Cargill did a terrible job lecturing and was barely any help when I talk to her.

Well heres the thing a lot of people don't get about Cargill. I thought physio with her was so easy because I found out that her tests have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LECTURE!!! People place so much emphasis on it (hence the pile of tape recorders seen on the desk/stage at every class) and end up failing. ALL she does in lecture is go over the pictures throughout the chapter, she hardly ever goes into the depth that the book does. The only thing her lecture is good for is knowing what parts of the book to READ. I READ and basically would have aced her class if I didn't get lazy in the end cuz I got an A on the first midterm and a B on the second one. HYDE on the other hand actually DOES lecture on what he tests you on so thats why he lectures SO MUCH... He spends the ENTIRE lecture portion and the ENTIRE lab portion lecturing so that he covers all the material and actually lets you know he won't test you on something he hasn't said. So for me that made the class hard because I never used to go to class back then!!! lol! I missed like half the classes... but with Carghill that was no problem ;) me and my friend would actually meet up at her class, sit there for a few minutes and then leave! and still aced the tests! this proves my theory! lol... So basically it depends on what your study habits are but both classes would be a lot easier if you go to all the classes and READ ur butt off. And to answer your question YES you can take Bio 66 at a JC AS LONG AS it is a freestanding Physio class... a "Physiology and Anatomy" course will only satisfy the Anatomy portion. Hope that helped ;)

M in Fresno, California

58 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: You can take everything but Neuro at a JC... Neuro has to be taken at state... and I know someone in my class who transferred from a JC .....This is due to our schools use of cadavers in the Lab portion and I don't think JC's can do that... so at the very least you'll have to take the Anatomy Lab portion ONLY and Neuroanatomy & Physiology at SJSU.......I hope you all get in I love this program!

I'm so glad to hear all of your feedback! It makes me feel so much better. I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with questions but I have some more....Is San Jose's 3 year program more expensive than going 4 years for bs/ms? I've been trying to compare different OT program prices but can't get ahold of San Jose's. About how much do you estimate? And Increased GPA is still 2.8 right? Thanks!

58 months ago

I'm pretty sure I read that the A&P class at the JC only satisfies the Physiology requ not the Anatomy.

58 months ago

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California said: I'm pretty sure I read that the A&P class at the JC only satisfies the Physiology requ not the Anatomy.

Well I know its one or the other... I just remember asking killingsworth if I could take Physio at a JC and she said as long as it was free standing... so I'm not sure about that.... but hey if your sure then it must be true! :) I would just advise anyone to look it up and not take neones word for it bcuz thats a big commitment!

58 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Ok I wasn't trying to start an argument... lol but Maybe your friend doesn't go to SJSU or something because if you go on mysjsu and look up the class (Biol 109) it clearly states Neuroanatomy AND Physiology... just like it did when I took it last year. Also no matter how much you "prepare" for this class the amount of material is still going to hit pretty hard if you have never taken a neuro class before. And the word "complex" does pretty much sum it up... I remember having the feeling that we were learning pretty much everything brain and spinal cord and that the class really couldn't be harder or else it would just get repetitive. However since this person has already taken physio they have a solid foundation in neuro already. There were about 4 or 5 people in my class who went to class everyday, did all the reading, and absorbed everything pretty well and received A's or B's on every test. The rest of us didn't do so well SO like I said... he has an extremely helpful trick that you'll find out near the end of class that pretty much makes everyone pass (i don't want to ruin the surprise!) So YES in the end you WILL be ok... more than ok actually you'll probably end up getting an A. But if it wasn't for that trick the average grade would have been somewhere around D+ - C-. (Average final score is 60%).... sooooo I think that warrants the class to be called complex... but like i said, take Hyde and you'll be more than ok!

It's apparent that we had different experiences taking the class that's only offered at SJSU which is Neuroanatomy or Bio 109. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Hyde and would recommend him to anyone. As with any class, if you don't put in the work, you will not do well.

Neuroanatomy is no different than any Bio class you will be taking to get in OT such as Physio, Anatomy, etc. All of those courses require a lot of work, but they are not as hard as Big Roy make them out to be.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.