Mental Health OT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Matthew in Cambridge, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I work in mental health OT. There are jobs in the Boston area. I have been working for 7-8 years in mental health OT. I work in the community. I really like it, and wish there were more jobs out there. There ARE, but you have to get networked; not everything is on Monster.com or in the newspaper ads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

geycha in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

Does anyone know of mental health positions for COTA's in the chicago il. area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry in Davenport, Iowa

54 months ago

I also was interested in Psychological OT, but even my 2nd Fieldwork in it was canceled! Too bad! I think I'm tired of the schools and there's not much out there but nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jillelisesmith in Rockville Centre, New York

42 months ago

why arent there as many OT jobs in mental health now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Hawaii

42 months ago

There are fewer jobs in mental health because there are fewer inpatient psychiatric facilities. Those that do exist, people typically only stay for a few days, and then are discharged. It's not impossible to find jobs in mental health, you just might have to move to a place you might not want to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MattOTR in Woodland, California

42 months ago

Hi I posted the comment above when i lived in Boston. I moved to California and am psych OT with the Veterans Administration. I now work in an inpatient psych unit. I love it. So, I have been working for 10 years in mental health OT. The VA pays well too and is developing programs for veterans all the time. I think Im lucky, after reading all of the other posts. I love working on a psych team and working with the patients. I

f you are persistant, somewhat flexible and follow your instincts as to what you like to do on a day-in-day-out basis you'll make it in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

michellers in San Mateo, California

37 months ago

I am working in mental health OT in san jose, CA for a nonprofit. We are with a model for prevention and early intervention, working with youth and young adults ages 10-25. I lOVE this job but there are VERY few mental health OT options out there and working non-profit is difficult in relation to financial stability. I'd love to work with young adults or young veterans as a psych OT in the VA or community but don't know where to go. If you know any Northern California psych OT options, let me know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

michellers in San Mateo, California

37 months ago

Jessica in Sacramento, California said: How prevalent are mental health jobs in occupational therapy? Have any of you worked in mental health and if you have, what was it like?

you might want to try a program related to PIER.. check out www.preventmentalillness.org its the same model im woring with but in Sac.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cc in Dracut, Massachusetts

37 months ago

michellers in San Mateo, California said: you might want to try a program related to PIER.. check out www.preventmentalillness.org its the same model im woring with but in Sac.

I am curious what types of activities do you do in Mental Health OT. I started an OT grad school program and I am interested in learning more about what is done this area. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BigRoy in San Jose, California

37 months ago

cc in Dracut, Massachusetts said: I am curious what types of activities do you do in Mental Health OT. I started an OT grad school program and I am interested in learning more about what is done this area. thanks.

There are many different assessments for mental health. Many of them help ascertain what activities were important in the clients life and you would help them get back to doing those things. There are also arts n crafts activities that are therapeutic in themselves and can help relieve symptoms from mental disorders. For instance, you might give someone with schizophrenia peer interaction training and help him adapt to daily living. Listening to music may help lower the voices in his head and help him focus on a task. Also you can do an activity analysis of what he does on a daily basis and see where he is having problems (task has too many steps, steps are too complex, the task is done in an area with distractions). You will also know what medications they are taking and how they can effect their daily life. Basically people will come up to you with a problem. Either their mental disorder totally keeps them from doing something they need/want to do, or just makes it more difficult to do certain things. You analyse those activities and adapt the task or the environment to make it easier for them. It gets a lot more complicated but that's putting it simply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

BigRoy in San Jose, California said: There are many different assessments for mental health. Many of them help ascertain what activities were important in the clients life and you would help them get back to doing those things. There are also arts n crafts activities that are therapeutic in themselves and can help relieve symptoms from mental disorders. For instance, you might give someone with schizophrenia peer interaction training and help him adapt to daily living. Listening to music may help lower the voices in his head and help him focus on a task. Also you can do an activity analysis of what he does on a daily basis and see where he is having problems (task has too many steps, steps are too complex, the task is done in an area with distractions). You will also know what medications they are taking and how they can effect their daily life. Basically people will come up to you with a problem. Either their mental disorder totally keeps them from doing something they need/want to do, or just makes it more difficult to do certain things. You analyse those activities and adapt the task or the environment to make it easier for them. It gets a lot more complicated but that's putting it simply.

thanks for replying to my message. do you think OT jobs in mental health are hard to find? do you think this area will grow or decline? From what I learned in class so far, I know the mental health area was more prevalent during the beginning in OT's historical roots. Just curious what do you think the future in this OT area will be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

The future in my opinion is the same as the present... You will mainly work for outpatient, single-purpose non-profits. Sadly, most of the inpatient facilities are gone. It would be beneficial to start your own OT practice focusing on mental health, but you won't make nearly as much money. Mental health is fatiguing and expensive to work out with holistic therapy (even though it is much more beneficial). That is why most of the western world just relies on drugs to try to get the job done. They send most of the mentally ill to an ALF or group home, stuff them with meds, and go about their day. I don't think OT will be big in mental health in the foreseeable future until the emphasis changes from keeping people in a stabilized foggy haze with drugs, to actually working out their problems. Since we all know that's not going to happen I wouldn't get my hopes up :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

matty d in Sacramento, California

37 months ago

As a mental health psych O.T., I have worked for a homeless shelter in the Boston area (non-profit, large organization), a large psychiatric hospital in the Boston area doing outpatient programming and community re-integration, psych in-patient units per-diem, and now the veterans administration on an inpatient unit - there is potential to do outpatient work at the VA too. The work is out there - like a lot of specialties, you have to network - thats how I got most of my jobs. If you are in Northern California, look at POTAC.org, which regularly posts some O.T. jobs. There are psych O.T. jobs working for the V.A. too - theres money being pumped in the V.A. for Iraq and Afghanistan vets. So the work is out there in my experience....who knows whats around the corner though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Yeah all I know is what I've learned in school so far. I just know that OT being really big in mental health like it used to be might be a little far fetched. But like Matty said you can always make a way and there are opportunities... I just thought your question was more tiered to a global scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Yeah I think I have been lucky that the pieces have fallen in place. When I got out of school I didnt even want to be an O.T. anymore. I took a job at the shelter and things really took off from there. I tried working in SNFs per diem and had a Level II on a acute med floor and then a special-ed preschool....all of those werent my bag, but I have known people who really like those settings... So you really have to find what works for you and pursue. Some of it is luck...

37 months ago

matty d in Sacramento, California said: Yeah I think I have been lucky that the pieces have fallen in place. When I got out of school I didnt even want to be an O.T. anymore. I took a job at the shelter and things really took off from there. I tried working in SNFs per diem and had a Level II on a acute med floor and then a special-ed preschool....all of those werent my bag, but I have known people who really like those settings... So you really have to find what works for you and pursue. Some of it is luck...

Are you still an OT now? What qualities do you think an OT should have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I went to Tufts University in Massachusetts (I see youre from MA) and graduated in 2000. I cant believe how time flies. I have supervised a lot of Level I students (60 hours) and a few Level II students (3 months).

You will find out that OTs are a very diverse bunch. To work in psych, you have to have a good sense of boundaries between pt. and professional and still be willing to use yourself effectively to establish a therapeutic alliance, be willing to appreciate other disciplines and work on a team with them. You have to focus on interactions and make good observations, be interested in psychology/psychiatry/mental health, and of course have good listening skills and be flexible and adaptable to the pt's needs. Be willing to work in/aware of medical hierarchy and see how it can help or hinder a person's recovery. Moreover you have to be aware of 'your stuff' or 'your baggage/issues' and have that squared away. You dont have to be a perfect person, but it takes a certain level of self-awareness to be a good mental health practitioner across the board regardless of discipline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

nat in Thiensville, Wisconsin

36 months ago

MattOTR in Woodland, California said: Hi I posted the comment above when i lived in Boston. I moved to California and am psych OT with the Veterans Administration. I now work in an inpatient psych unit. I love it. So, I have been working for 10 years in mental health OT. The VA pays well too and is developing programs for veterans all the time. I think Im lucky, after reading all of the other posts. I love working on a psych team and working with the patients. I

f you are persistant, somewhat flexible and follow your instincts as to what you like to do on a day-in-day-out basis you'll make it in this field.

Hi, so how do you find these jobs with the VA? Is there a website, or...??

MattOTR in Woodland, California

36 months ago

usajobs.com is a website for federal jobs. You may also want to contact your local O.T. association and see if there is a Mental Health section. good luck, Matt

BTW, I am matty d, MattOTR and Matthew in Cambridge in these posts. Sorry for the confusion. All the same guy.

loveschooling in San Jose, California

36 months ago

Hi, Matt...
I'm wondering when you mentioned that you are a psych OT with the VA, is that Palo Alto VA? I'm wanting to do some observations while here in Santa Clara county and am thinking of returning to the OT field. Thanks for your help!

Carolyn

MattOTR in Woodland, California said: Hi I posted the comment above when i lived in Boston. I moved to California and am psych OT with the Veterans Administration. I now work in an inpatient psych unit. I love it. So, I have been working for 10 years in mental health OT. The VA pays well too and is developing programs for veterans all the time. I think Im lucky, after reading all of the other posts. I love working on a psych team and working with the patients. I

loveschooling in San Jose, California

36 months ago

michellers in San Mateo, California said: I am working in mental health OT in san jose, CA for a nonprofit. We are with a model for prevention and early intervention, working with youth and young adults ages 10-25. I lOVE this job but there are VERY few mental health OT options out there and working non-profit is difficult in relation to financial stability. I'd love to work with young adults or young veterans as a psych OT in the VA or community but don't know where to go. If you know any Northern California psych OT options, let me know!

Hi!
I am looking for psych OT facilities to observe since I'm thinking of returning to the field. What's the name of your facility? Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

NewCali OT in San Jose, California

34 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I'm an OT from Canada where I worked within the mental health field for 6 years before relocating to CA. I am now looking for work and of course would like to stay in mental health however am getting quite discouraged due to the lack of positions and low pay due to many positions being in Non Profit Organizations. Being newly married, I am looking at my future and unfortunately am not in a position where i can afford such a drastic paycut or the financial instability of these organizatins.

I am wondering where do I look for positions in mental health? I have been searching hospital websites, county websites, did a search for mental health clinics in the area (most being non profit), and am also just trying to look outside of the box i.e. "mental health counsellors" etc.
I also would appreciate some feedback on salaries for people employed in this field so I have some sort of insight in this matter.

I am quite confused right now and am wondering whether I do need to rethink my field of practice - problem is, i don't really know where to turn!!! The healthcare system here is quite different than Canada. I've noticed a ton of jobs within SNF, travel OT's and very little of anything else. What are ppl's thoughts on these types of jobs?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

MattOTR in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

If you are in Northern California check out POTAC.org. Check out all of the salary/career websites to get salary info. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda overton33 in Aachen, Germany

32 months ago

I am a British OT working in mental health with the Military. I am looking to re locate to Boston, could you please give me contact details of your VA hospital Thanks

michellers in Belmont, California

32 months ago

Matt,
I would love to get into working with young military in psych OT or young adults. I've been working northern cali at Momentum for Mental Health, as their first OT. I work with youth/young adults showing symptoms of possible psychosis... fascinating work.. love psych BUT, its SO hard to find psych OT jobs.. any ideas? Thanks!

Erik in Southfield, Michigan

29 months ago

Hello everyone!

I am an OT with many years experience working in psychiatric settings. I recently took an early retirement from a inpatient facility where I had been working for the past 13 years.

I would still like to work in psychiatry/mental health as an OT...Michigan, where I reside offers limited opportunities. I'm open to relocating, but thought of working as a traveling OT first to explore possible opportunities.

My question is...Suggestions for traveling companies/agencies that others have used and have had good experiences with that they would recommend...Or I'm open to any other words of wisdom/suggestions from a fresh/different perspective.
Thanks

LINDA OVERTON in Viersen, Germany

29 months ago

If you are wanting to travel to Germany. The MOD are looking for a locum Psychiatric Occupational Therapist

Liz Power in Rochester, New Hampshire

28 months ago

I am currently a freshman in college and seriously thinking about going to graduate school for Occupational Therapy. I am most interested in mental health OT and I am looking for someone to shadow in New Hampshire or Massachusetts who is in a related field. I haven't had any luck so far but I really want to shadow someone to figure out if this is what I want to do or not.

mddong in Sacramento, California

28 months ago

Hi please look at the MAOT website (Mass assoc. for Occupational Therapy) and locate/contact the Mental Health Special Interest group. I think Allyson Lewis heads it now. I use to be the chairperson for this group. OTs from several hospitals: Beth Isreal, Newton Wellesley, New England Medical (Tufts), and even some professors from Boston U attend monthly meetings starting in the fall. Ask if you can shadow...

Matt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TerCz in Medford, Massachusetts

27 months ago

matty d in Sacramento, California said: I went to Tufts University in Massachusetts (I see youre from MA) and graduated in 2000. I cant believe how time flies. I have supervised a lot of Level I students (60 hours) and a few Level II students (3 months).

You will find out that OTs are a very diverse bunch. To work in psych, you have to have a good sense of boundaries between pt. and professional and still be willing to use yourself effectively to establish a therapeutic alliance, be willing to appreciate other disciplines and work on a team with them. You have to focus on interactions and make good observations, be interested in psychology/psychiatry/mental health, and of course have good listening skills and be flexible and adaptable to the pt's needs. Be willing to work in/aware of medical hierarchy and see how it can help or hinder a person's recovery. Moreover you have to be aware of 'your stuff' or 'your baggage/issues' and have that squared away. You dont have to be a perfect person, but it takes a certain level of self-awareness to be a good mental health practitioner across the board regardless of discipline.

Hi Matt,
I just graduated from Tufts and am it seems you have my dream job. I'm hunting around for psych OT jobs - have a possible per diem gig at the hospital where I did my Level II, and am up for a job at the West Roxbury VA but not in psych. If you have any hints as to where exactly to look, I'd really appreciate it. I can be very resourceful but right now I really want to start working, and I don't want to get into a SNF or a school. Thanks!

TerCz in Medford, Massachusetts

27 months ago

LINDA OVERTON in Viersen, Germany said: If you are wanting to travel to Germany. The MOD are looking for a locum Psychiatric Occupational Therapist

Linda - what is the MOD? I'm a new graduate and definitely willing to relocate.

michellers

27 months ago

Hi carolyn, sorry I didn't see your comment in my mail! Check out WWW.reach4scc.org. This is my program! Also, I work per diem at El Camino Hospital (mountain view and los gatos) as behavioral health for both inpatient adult psych and outpatient adolescents. Great company!

loveschooling in San Jose, California said: Hi!
I am looking for psych OT facilities to observe since I'm thinking of returning to the field. What's the name of your facility? Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

michellers

27 months ago

Anyone interested in a psych OT meetup in the bay area? I'd love to meet current MH OTs and support new mental health OT interest!! Let me know! Happy OT month!

Daniellla in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

jillelisesmith in Rockville Centre, New York said: why arent there as many OT jobs in mental health now?

From what I understand art therapists are taking over the OT role in mental health, as OTs have been moving towards Peds. Art and recreational therapists simply get paid less than OTs, so that is more attractive to facilities. The OT jobs in mental health pay low and there are limited opportunities. I think they are trying to get it jump started again. As for what mental health OTs do, they run many, many, many groups.

Linda in Viersen, Germany

27 months ago

Daniellla in Chicago, Illinois said: From what I understand art therapists are taking over the OT role in mental health, as OTs have been moving towards Peds. Art and recreational therapists simply get paid less than OTs, so that is more attractive to facilities . The OT jobs in mental health pay low and there are limited opportunities. I think they are trying to get it jump started again. As for what mental health OTs do, they run many, many, many groups.

Daniella British Occupational Therapists have a specialist role in mental health teams pay is good. I believe the USA is trying to jump start again and the mental health opportunities are mainly within elderly Alzheimer's

RickEricksen in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

THERE ARE JOBS AS OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS IN MENTAL HEALTH. As a matter of fact, I work in an inpatient state psychiatric hospital in Provo, Utah. We are currently seeking 1-2 full time Occupational Therapists to enhance our department. The challenge we face are too few applicants for these positions. Yes, the pay is low, but the flexibility and client centeredness is out of this world.

I disagree with Daniella in Chicago about "art therapists" taking over the OT role in Mental Health. If that happened somewhere, it may be due to OT not trying to hold serve AT ALL, or just not caring about their own profession. OT's in Mental Health provide assessment for inpatient care, discharge planning, functional evaluation, cognitive evaluation and remediation, community reintegration skills, work with other disciplines for reducing suicidality, stress management, sensory processing issues, and a ton of other things.

I have been working in Mental Health pretty much my whole career (which I admit isn't THAT long - 5 years). I absolutely love it (in all ways besides the pay). If you are interested in a job and you are an Occupational Therapist, go to statejobs.utah.gov and apply! Or get my contact information there on the job posting for Occupational Therapist and we can chat about possibilities!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theodora Randle in Cypress, Texas

24 months ago

I have worked in Mental Health OT for 30 plus years in State and County based facilities. I am currently semi-retired and working in an out patient setting a few days a month in a County Hospital setting.
I have a passion for Mental Health OT. If you are passionate,flexible and willing to market yourself, finding a job in Mental Health is possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Japanese Boy in Sapporo, Japan

21 months ago

I am a OTS in Japan.
I intend to know how are mental-OT abroad(mainly western)
and have found the topic here.

There are some mental-OT Jobs in Japan, which I can find .
Yet, they are very smaller than Physic.

I am wondering I should go to whether Mental or Physic.

Erica OTS in Mission, Texas

18 months ago

Theodora Randle in Cypress, Texas said: I have worked in Mental Health OT for 30 plus years in State and County based facilities . I am currently semi-retired and working in an out patient setting a few days a month in a County Hospital setting.
I have a passion for Mental Health OT. If you are passionate,flexible and willing to market yourself, finding a job in Mental Health is possible.

Theodora Randle, I notice you are in Texas. I am an OT student and very interested in OT/Mental Health when I graduate. I would also prefer to stay in Texas. Which region would you recommend looking for Mental Health OT jobs in Texas?

MegMac in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

MattOTR in Woodland, California said: Hi I posted the comment above when i lived in Boston. I moved to California and am psych OT with the Veterans Administration . I now work in an inpatient psych unit. I love it. So, I have been working for 10 years in mental health OT. The VA pays well too and is developing programs for veterans all the time. I think Im lucky, after reading all of the other posts. I love working on a psych team and working with the patients. I

Hi Matt,

Although you posted 2 years ago, I am extremely interested in your comment. I am a recent OT grad, and am striving to work as a "psych OT" in the VA. Is there any advice you can give me to find jobs in this area? I am flexible on where in the US... happy to move from the area I grew up in!

Thanks,
Megan

MSG in Salinas, California

17 months ago

Interesting. I am very much interested in the mental health field; however, I really do not know what that will entail. I'm about several months away from matriculating to OT school, and to be completely frank, I am not that excited about it. After shadowing a bunch of OT's, I wonder if this field is for me. I'm actually wondering about getting a MSW or masters in psychology and counseling. Although, I also wonder if the job oppty's are out there for private counseling. Seems like a competitive field.

Oh well. I guess that's life: choices that involve trade offs. Maybe I should just go back to I/T.

wave06 in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

Hello,

Does anyone know of mental health sites that accept level II fieldwork students in the SF Bay Area or Los Angeles area?

wave06 in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

michellers in San Mateo, California said: I am working in mental health OT in san jose, CA for a nonprofit. We are with a model for prevention and early intervention, working with youth and young adults ages 10-25. I lOVE this job but there are VERY few mental health OT options out there and working non-profit is difficult in relation to financial stability. I'd love to work with young adults or young veterans as a psych OT in the VA or community but don't know where to go. If you know any Northern California psych OT options, let me know!

Michellers, does your site accept level two students? I'm desperately looking for a mental health site since most spots are already taken.

Creole Soul in Richmond, Virginia

15 months ago

jillelisesmith in Rockville Centre, New York said: why arent there as many OT jobs in mental health now?

Well, here in VA, other disciplines (Social Work (MSW, LCSW), Rehab Counselors, Vocational Counselors, Psychologists, etc.) are doing much of what mental health OTs are doing at half the cost. You'd be hard pressed to find a mental health OT in Virginia.

Danielle C. in Irvine, California

14 months ago

I am looking into going back to school to be an Occupational Therapist. I would like to work with mental health patients due to the fact that my undergraduate degree is in Human Development.

One of the primary reasons I would like to have a career in OT is because based on the stats I have been reading online, which is that this field is fast growing. However, based upon the responses I have been reading I am now questioning the demand for OTs. Can anyone tell me where exactly this growth is occuring that I am reading about? I would like to know what field there is a high demand.

Also, I am trying to pick a school and there really does not seem to be many choices in Southern California. Does anyone have any advice on what school I should pick from? Which program has the best reputation?

Thanks.

suzannespiro in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

Hi everyone!

I currently have a great mental health OT job in Philadelphia at a residential facility for women with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, EDNOS, binge ED). I am moving, so will be leaving my position in 4 weeks. I'm trying to find a great OT to take over. Hopefully, I will be able to provide OT services at one of their outpatient centers, and will be available either in person or email/phone to provide orientation and mentoring. The company loves OT and is looking to expand the role of OT (which is amazing considering OT has lost many mental health jobs!).

Please respond or contact me if you are interested! I would love to find someone who is passionate about mental health.

suzannespiro in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

Hi Megan- I noticed you are from Collegeville. I am leaving my mental health job in Philly, and if you are interested, we are looking for a new OT who is passionate about mental health to take my place. It is not the VA, but it is a very nice residential facility for the treatment of women with eating disorders.

MegMac in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

suzannespiro in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi Megan- I noticed you are from Collegeville. I am leaving my mental health job in Philly, and if you are interested, we are looking for a new OT who is passionate about mental health to take my place. It is not the VA, but it is a very nice residential facility for the treatment of women with eating disorders.

Hi Suzanne,

I would love to talk with you about this job opportunity!! Please email me at your earliest convenience at macfarma@gmail.com. Thank you!!

Megan

syd in Lewiston, Maine

13 months ago

suzannespiro in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi Megan- I noticed you are from Collegeville. I am leaving my mental health job in Philly, and if you are interested, we are looking for a new OT who is passionate about mental health to take my place. It is not the VA, but it is a very nice residential facility for the treatment of women with eating disorders.

Suzanne,

Is your facility interested in level two fieldwork students or do you know of any eating disorder facilities that have level two fieldwork opportunities for Occupational Therapy Students? I have just finished my first year of OT school and have a strong interest in working with clients with eating disorders! Thank you!

-Sydney

Natalie in Idaho Falls, Idaho

10 months ago

HI All, I am a traveling OT and have recently been placed at an inpatient mental health setting in Idaho Falls, pediatric-adult. The OT before me ran alot of groups and billed for every pt. that attended the group, even if the pt. was not on OT caseload nor had Dr. orders. How do you bill for groups? Do you bill for each pt. regardless of OT orders? To bill for someone who attended group, do they need an OT eval first? So many questions!! No one I work with seems to have an answer.

As a side note, I am surprised by how much I've like it. I was always scared off by the stigma of mental health before. But the facility and staff are fantastic and they really value OT. BTW, they are looking for a great OT when I leave in about 2 months, if anyone is interested.

I've never worked in mental health before,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.