Going back to school for Occupational Therapy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Daniella in New York, New York

14 months ago

Hi - I dont have answers to your questions, but I too am a licensed social worker (LMSW) in NYC and was also considering going back to school for OT. Have you been able to find out any info? I don't know when you posted this so I am not sure how recent this is. Where did you find out what prereqs you would need?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialworkgal in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Hi Daniella:

I posted this a few months ago and unfortunately did not receive any feedback. I however did A LOT of research on some colleges close to my area. I am about 45 mins outside of Philly. The prereqs are listed on most of the college websites. Part of my dilemma is I work full time and am unable to quit my job and go to school full time. I'm self supporting so I need an OT program that offers weeknights or weekends. I checked into Thomas Jefferson, University of Penn and Temple University. All 3 of them only offered day time programs : ( However, I found Misercordia University in Dallas, PA has a weekend MOT program that is part time for 3 years. It is every other Sat & Sun from 8-5p.m. I have family only 1 hr away so it is somewhat convenient for me.

Misercordia's prereqs are Abnormal Psych, Statistics, Physics, A&P 1 and 2. I am enrolled to take Abnormal Psych this summer online at Community College and scheduled two science classes for this fall. I really struggled with whether I should start the classes or not. I figured if I wanted to start OT school in Fall 2014 I needed to get started ASAP! Most of the schools had similiar prereqs.

Plus, I am about 2 months into receiving supervision towards earning my clinical license in Social Work. So, I figured that I would hopefully have that out of the way by 2015 and would be able to earn some money on the side by doing private therapy.

Good luck and I'm here to chat if you want to throw out a few ideas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Thanks for replying! I too work full-time, and would need a weekend or night program. Wow! Congrats on getting your clinical license! I live in NYC and there aren't THAT many programs. I e-mailed Touro College and am looking into SUNY Downstate which is in Brooklyn. Columbia and NYU are probably great schools but I am sure they are very expensive. I went to NYU for my MSW. I took some sciences but not within the 10 yr time frame that I saw on one school website. This whole process is daunting and intimidating - I need my hand held! LOL

14 months ago

Your welcome and thank you! Yes, the supervision has been wonderful so far but I think I will need to slow it down since I have class 3 evenings a week in the fall. It is VERY intimidating. Getting my MSW was just something that I didn't put much thought into. I just figured I needed it to make more money and I did it. Plus, having a BSW really prepared me for the courses. OT is much more medical and the science Physics and A&P class has me a bit nervous. I just wish someone would be able to tell me what the classes were like. I wonder if there are a lot of papers, tests presentations...labs. I have no clue!

I took statistics in 2004 so I will just make the cutoff! I have a minor in Psych but never took Abnormal....no clue why! Prereqs are a pain, but at least it will be fresh in my mind and help me get back into school mode.

Some schools require you to do 40 hours of shadowing an OT prior to applying to their program. Misercordia only requires 6 or 8 hours which is fantastic and they do not make you take your GREs! woohoo! I saw on their website that they had a 100% pass rate last year for OT license exams. As of right now their are no OT programs that are strictly online. Some schools do part of it online others don't do any. Misercordia will require about a 6 month ful time practicum my last year. I will then have to quit my job and figure out how I am going to survive. Good thing I have a few years to figure it out! LOL When are you looking to start?

14 months ago

I would like to start as soon as possible - but I def have pre -reqs to take. I think the 10 yr limit is only on science courses not psych courses or statistics if I am not mistaken? Obviously schools are different but I thought I saw that. I did not get my BSW, I went into a Masters Program after college and got my MSW and am licensed as such.

I feel like this will take forever if I do it, so I really need to make sure I want to!! Most of the OTs I know graduated years ago so they arent much help lol

14 months ago

I feel like it will take forever too. I'm 30 and when I graduate I would be 34..which is still young but 4 years seems like a long time! I just figure the longer I wait the longer it will take. I questioned going back to school for something different for over a year. I just couldn't figure out what it was though. Then I cam across OT. Seems very similiar to social work but with a medical component and much better pay! I want to make sure this is something I want to do too because my students loans are going to double.

I figured taking the prereqs will not break the bank. I might find a different social work job in the mean time and be happy. If that job doesn't happen then at least I have the prereqs out of the way and can apply to OT school. I think once we get started it will fly by. I can't believe I graduated with my MSW in 2008....5 yrs already! So, I'm hoping OT school goes that fast too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annielac in Durham, North Carolina

13 months ago

Hi, I'm def. concidering entering into the ota program summer 2014. I just have to take the biology/chemistry class and the anat./phsy. class and I'm good. I will be going to Durham Tech. which is a two yr. program. I am 48 now and have worked for the postal service for 13 yrs. My questions are does anyone know about working for a travel company and how much they pay? I'm single so I would love to do that. Also, how much will I make starting out? Thanks for any help and advice.

rachel in Long Beach, California

9 months ago

I am actually considering a career change into either social work, doing MSW (clinical focus, to become LCSW) or OT (working one-on-one, possibly home health or geriatric).

Those of you who quit social work - can I ask why? I really love psych, I'm super analytical but I'm not as hands-on and I'm not sure how well I'll do in medical aspects of OT (e.g. anatomy, physiology, neuro, etc.). I feel like my heart is in psych/social work but OT pays double and jobs are plenty! oh well. I would LOVE to hear from you guys' opinion...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTstudenttobe in Somerset, New Jersey

6 months ago

Hi socialworkgal I wanted to reach out to you because I feel like our situations are semi-similar. I am trying to get into a part-time Masters Program for OT. I too have about 32k already in student loans although mine are from undergrad. I am mostly interested in part-time programs that are on weekends mainly because I need to work full-time while I'm in school. I can't fathom taking out the cost of tuition AND cost of living for 2 whole years, that is like 35k each year for me for just cost of living. That is definitely not possible. I cannot live on less than that considering I have only myself to depend on, I am not married, and my parents - well, they don't exactly have ANYTHING to spare, otherwise they would. I think we are both looking into the same school in Pennsylvania. It isn't THAT close to me but it is a doable drive considering the cost in comparison to the other part-time schools. Have you applied yet?? I am currently taking pre-reqs at my community college and hoping to apply in September so it would be for prospective entry for Fall 2015 (whoah that sounds far away). If so I would like to know how the process went...the interview, etc.

Thnks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.