Occupational therapy master's program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 736)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

OTdude in Somerset, New Jersey

85 months ago

undergrad in Brooklyn, New York said: Thanks for the advice but aside from that, I know that it will be harder for me to get into a graduate school with my current gpa. Is there anything that I can do to make my application look better.

I would go to the OT dept of the school you are interested in and ask them for a peer evaluation of what you need to improve your application sheet. I have done this during undergrad and it worked for me. The OT dept chairperson told me EXACTly what I needed to better my chances. I followed her advice and got in the following year.
For you, since you have a Bachelor's already, consider retaking some required prereq's to show you wanted to better your GPA; write a kick-ass essay for the OT application, practice your interview skills; Highlight your work/volunteer experience; again, talk to the prospective OT schools you want to apply....making yourself more known will help them paint a picture of how determined you are....I can say it worked for me. When I was accepted, the OT dept secretary saw me in the cafeteria and asked, "Hey, congrats on getting in!" Mots of the dept remembered as that guy who worked harder at trying to get in, maybe kiss some butt too. ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

matt in Florence, South Carolina

81 months ago

I share some of your concerns OTGURu. I am in the middle of applying to MSOT and MOT programs for fall of 09. I am scared to death that the amount of my student loans will offset any financial advantage i would have in holding a master's degree.

Anybody here have advice or experience with coming out of school with loans, or managing student debt while in school?....I have heard the work settings that offer hella bonuses only do so cus the job sucks

OT is what I have wanted since I had a long stay in a rehab setting following some TBI's in 01....My only concern is this......I am going to be 27 going into a grad program...I will be 30 years old entering the workforce and will have 50-60k in debt.....will I ever be able to retire????? AAAAAAAA!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTGURu in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

I just run into a guy who is an OT, accumulated a huge amount of loan attending Ot school--about 60,000 is unable to repay it. He quit the OT career and went into sales for a pharamaceutical company so that he can be able to repay his loans. Quite scarely--isn't it.

I think most OTs have huge student loans and that is why you don't get much feedback on this topic.

Most are probably wondering what they got themselves into. I mean, thatamountof loan is almost equivalent to paying a second morgage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sig in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

I have to admit the money issue is very scary. And I can see why there are quite a few posts that address this issue.

However, I also think doing what you love is important. If OT is something you love, and fulfills you then at the end of the day it should be worth it. Right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

matt in Florence, South Carolina

81 months ago

It is worth it when at the end of the day as long as I can still meet my basic needs.

I know what population I would like to serve and it seems like OT would be my best route to do so. I guess it just ticks me off that people at my school are talking about getting stipends for a PhD in psych upon getting their undergrad, or having the local hospital pay all of their tuition for getting a BSN.
Here I am investing all my money into application fees to all of these schools to try and find one that will hurt my pocket in the smallest way possible.....I am willing to work and have done so all through school, but moving out of town and out of state will proove to be a bit more costly.

O well, im grateful to have my undies in a wad about this instead of something more serious.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I just visited one school. This is the infor. I got:
Cost of two year program 75k-80k.
Average student is able to work only 16 hours a week.
Average starting salaries in St. Louis, MO--Hospitals $44,000, Long-term care $48,000, community setting $30,000, school district $40,000. Those salaries are pretty dissapointing.
Average monthly loan payment: $850 per month for 10 years, plus two years of tremendous stress.
This is prety much what I am making right now with no student loans. I guess I would end up poorer as an OT. I was going for it simply for the diversity in employment opportunities and money as well.

Relocating is not an option due to family obligations.

I guess I will stick with what I got. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

EMYG in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

I'm applying to the MSOT program at Colorado State. I have a 3.7 GPA and a 4.0 in all of the pre-req's. But I only got a 4.5 on the analytical writing section of the GRE. I have been obsessing over the past few weeks about whether or not I will get in. Do you think applying early decision will help? Do you think I have a shot either way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

EMYG in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

PT/OT Aide in Greeley, Colorado said: I will be applying to the Colorado State University MSOT in December 2009. My undergrad is neuropsychology, I have a 3.6 GPA, and must only take the analytical writing portion of the GRE. So far I have A's in my pre-requisites. I am going into my 4th year as an occupational/physical therapy aide at an outpatient rehab clinic, and have logged over 4,000 hours in that position.

CSU does not require recommendations, and I do not believe they require personal interviews. I am fairly nervous about getting accepted into the program because my BA in Psych does not lead to any viable career, or for that matter, work that will pay enough to pay back my student loans!
Will my work experience mean very much in terms of admittance?

I think that you have very good credentials and I would think that your experience would be very highly valued. I have heard that CSU is mostly concerned with grades and scores, but I think that your work experiences could help put you over the edge. I think you have a good shot! Did you apply early decision? I did, and I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to hear back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chica in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

mk08 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Anyone have any good MOT program recommendations in the NJ or PA area? I am also open to programs in other states and would welcome suggestions. I read some earlier posts re: schools in CA that I am looking at as well, just trying to figure out costs, logistics etc.. I just thought I would begin my search in PA/NJ as I am a PA resident.

Hi, I am not sure if anyone replied to you, but I am also looking at schools for occupational therapy. These are school in or within the philadelphia area that offer that degree. Philadelphia Univeristy, Arcadia Univerity and PCOM. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTGuy09 in Tallahassee, Florida

76 months ago

Hi All,
I have been accepted into an OT program at a private school and, as OTGURu mentioned, the cost of the program is pretty off-putting. Anybody already an OT and have any advice on what kind of debt is acceptable/ should be avoided, loan forgiveness programs, etc? Just want to make sure I'm not making a huge financial mistake here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in New York, New York

75 months ago

hey everyone.....

i have a bachelor's in business....can i still get a masters in occupational therapy and if so which program do you recommend in the northeast region.....are there any online programs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

75 months ago

You can still receive a Master's in OT but you have to complete prereq's to apply to a program. It also depends how old some of your courses are. Seek academic advisement from an OT dept to get you started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT Debator in Glen Carbon, Illinois

75 months ago

OTGURu in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I just visited one school. This is the infor. I got:
Cost of two year program 75k-80k.
Average student is able to work only 16 hours a week.
Average starting salaries in St. Louis, MO--Hospitals $44,000, Long-term care $48,000, community setting $30,000, school district $40,000. Those salaries are pretty dissapointing.
Average monthly loan payment: $850 per month for 10 years, plus two years of tremendous stress.
This is prety much what I am making right now with no student loans. I guess I would end up poorer as an OT. I was going for it simply for the diversity in employment opportunities and money as well.

Relocating is not an option due to family obligations.

I guess I will stick with what I got. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

So, I just got accepted into the MOT program at SLU and am debating whether it is really worth it or not? Seeing this comment has totally altered my opinion and now I am torn. It's what I want to do, but is it worth the time and money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTGuy09 in Tallahassee, Florida

75 months ago

Wow, those numbers are pretty disappointing if they're accurate. Sometimes info like this that is online or distributed in schools is outdated, based on what my experience has been talking to OT's in the field. I spoke with one recently in the rehab unit of our local hospital who said the hospital was paying consistent with standard wages posted on the BLS website (65-68k annually) to keep competitive with other employers. I have also been told by OT's that A LOT of your salary boils down to how well you can negotiate, so...

Just food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OThopefulGuy in Cambridge, Massachusetts

75 months ago

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I wanted to see what yall think. I am in the process of applying to grad schools for OT for Fall of 09. Unfortuanetly due to some undiagnosed and untreated learning disabilities and getting deployed and loosing my father during college, it left me with a low C average. I did a year of Graduate work in MA in Counseling but stoped because it wasnt what I wanted, and I did get a 3.0 in grad school. Most schools want a 3.0 at minnium, and my gre was only a 830. I do have other things like being a veteran, with my job i work with MS patients all day. I guess I am wondering if I even have a chance? Any thoughts, or what I could do to help my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shazza in Flagstaff, Arizona

75 months ago

EMYG in Denver, Colorado said: I think that you have very good credentials and I would think that your experience would be very highly valued. I have heard that CSU is mostly concerned with grades and scores, but I think that your work experiences could help put you over the edge. I think you have a good shot! Did you apply early decision? I did, and I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to hear back!

Did you get accepted to CSU for Fall '09?? I just got my acceptance letter today. Now I have to decide between CSU and Texas Women's University....Since CSU doesn't do interviews I no nothing about the program or the professors, etc other than what is on their website. I'm put off by the "Human Disease/Conditions" test you have to pass once you are already admitted...what is that about? I don't want to commit to a program that will kick me out based on not passing a multiple choice test with an 80% that covers 500 pages of a textbook....I wonder what the pass rate is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emyg7 in Fort Collins, Colorado

75 months ago

I did get accepted. I am also pretty unsure of that multiple choice test, but I can't turn down the acceptance because of the amount of money I would lose going out of state. It's also supposed to be a great program (#7 I think). Maybe email them and ask what the pass rate is...I would be curious to know as well.

75 months ago

OTGuy09 in Tallahassee, Florida said: Wow, those numbers are pretty disappointing if they're accurate. Sometimes info like this that is online or distributed in schools is outdated, based on what my experience has been talking to OT's in the field. I spoke with one recently in the rehab unit of our local hospital who said the hospital was paying consistent with standard wages posted on the BLS website (65-68k annually) to keep competitive with other employers. I have also been told by OT's that A LOT of your salary boils down to how well you can negotiate, so...

Just food for thought.

This info is veru accurate and up-to-date. Infact it is from SLU. I went in personally end of last year and spoke to them about the cost of the program, career outlook and starting salaries for OTs in St. Louis. This is what I got. I have since decided to stick with what I have since that amount of debt was completely unacceptable to me and my family. I was in the process of doing my prerequisites but have since stopped. I would say if you are young and time is on your side, go for it. I am 36 years old, no student debt currently and I simply cannot afford to pat $800 per month in student loans for 10 years.

OThopefulGuy in Cambridge, Massachusetts

75 months ago

thanks for the comment, about you thinking its hopefuly. I havent heard back from any of the 5 universities that I applied 2. I am jus doubful that I will get it. But with God I guess anything is possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Princess in Pensacola, Florida

74 months ago

OTGuy09 in Tallahassee, Florida said: Hi All,
I have been accepted into an OT program at a private school and, as OTGURu mentioned, the cost of the program is pretty off-putting. Anybody already an OT and have any advice on what kind of debt is acceptable/ should be avoided, loan forgiveness programs, etc? Just want to make sure I'm not making a huge financial mistake here.

I would tell you to try to find an organization that is willing to pay for your schooling. A hospital in my area has a therapy scholarship that pays for up to 2 years of schooling (books, school costs, lab fees, etc). I just have to sign an agreement stating that I will work for them for a certain amount of years in exchange. If I chose not to work there or leave before my contracted time is up. I will have to pay it all back. Find a program like that at a place that you think you would be willing to work for a few years. Two things can be gained one schooling fully paid for meaning ZERO loans to pay back and two you know that you already have a job lined up once you are done. Their program requires that you to already be accepted into a program (once you get the acceptance letter), a one page essay, and two recommendations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KK in San Leandro, California

74 months ago

Hey everyone. Reading all the posting makes me feel good to know that we are all in this together esp. there aren’t many people who are quite familiar with the field. I believe I will be posting here quite often even after starting the program.
To all of you who are facing challenges of getting into the program might think of me as a bit foolish but I have friends and families with different views about the school I’m getting into which is why I’m here seeking advice from you all. Thanks everyone. .
Main question: I got a 100% chance of getting into the OT program (combined: BS/MOT) in Chicago State University but am also debating if it would be worth the risk to abandon the opportunity and take my chance at applying at SJSU. (Current GPA 3.07, 40+ hours volunteer exp, A’s in all prerequisites)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

oldmaid

73 months ago

I am new to this forum. Just thought I'd add some food for thought: I have a 3.95 GPA (4.0 in prerequisites), a 1460 GRE, and about 60 hours of observation experience. I did not get accepted at Colorado State for fall 2009. Since they don't do interviews and don't ask for letters of recommendation, I guess it must have been my statement of purpose that was lacking...That's hard for me to believe, though, because I majored in English as an undergrad and worked for many years as a writer and copyeditor--in fact, I would say writing is my best skill. So maybe my statement of purpose was well-written but didn't say what they wanted to hear? Aside from that, I guess 60 hours of observation isn't good enough. In hindsight it seems my application would have looked better if I could have claimed years of experience as a COTA. Sadly, my sincere interest in pursuing a new career in OT did not speak to the admissions people.

Like several others on this forum, I am not at all certain that an OT salary would pay off financially, especially for someone entering the field in middle age. Not getting into my program of choice gives me another year to consider whether I really want to head down the path of giant student loans...

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

73 months ago

oldmaid said: I am new to this forum. Just thought I'd add some food for thought: I have a 3.95 GPA (4.0 in prerequisites), a 1460 GRE, and about 60 hours of observation experience. I did not get accepted at Colorado State for fall 2009. Since they don't do interviews and don't ask for letters of recommendation, I guess it must have been my statement of purpose that was lacking...That's hard for me to believe, though, because I majored in English as an undergrad and worked for many years as a writer and copyeditor--in fact, I would say writing is my best skill. So maybe my statement of purpose was well-written but didn't say what they wanted to hear? Aside from that, I guess 60 hours of observation isn't good enough. In hindsight it seems my application would have looked better if I could have claimed years of experience as a COTA. Sadly, my sincere interest in pursuing a new career in OT did not speak to the admissions people.

Like several others on this forum, I am not at all certain that an OT salary would pay off financially, especially for someone entering the field in middle age. Not getting into my program of choice gives me another year to consider whether I really want to head down the path of giant student loans...

Hey, you can look at it this way: You could have been #31 out of the top 30 seats they were filling. Since they do not conduct interviews, they cannot get any true sense of a person/applicant. I think not conducting interviews is absurd since many prospective students can "look" the part, but when it comes down to maturity, interpersonal skills, communication skills, professionalism, etc etc that interviewers can see during an interview, they run the risk of accepting 30 students who only look good on paper and cannot reason or problem solve or cope with grad school dilemnas.

oldmaid

73 months ago

Thanks, OTdude. I feel the same way about interviews--not interviewing prospective grad students seems crazy to me, especially in such a small program. I did go down to Fort Collins last summer to tour the OT building and talk with the graduate admissions adviser. Looking back on that now, I'm further mystified--if my observation/volunteer hours were insufficient, wouldn't you think the adviser would have strongly encouraged me to beef up that part of my application? I remember asking whether they had any requirements (official or unofficial) for observation, and the answer was a straight no. It was a bit weird; I felt like I had to fish for information rather than having an open conversation.

All that said, I am looking on the bright side: I don't have to face the blizzards of northeastern Colorado next winter! And I think I can find another program that suits me just as well, if not better.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTsenioratsdsu in San Diego, California

73 months ago

Hello! I am so glad I found this site. I have a few questions for any OT's or anyone who is in grad school for it. I have an OK GPA (3.2, 3.5 in my major classes-which is psych), and B's for the pre reqs for OT school. I am applying to Dominican University of California. Does anyone go there and know how hard it is to get in? Or how hard the actual program is once you ARE in? I am struggling in my Physics course a little and my Anatomy class is VERY demanding...and these are just pre-reqs so I am getting a little nervous if I will have the time for this program!

Also, if anyone has more information about places you can work that will pay off loans or how to look for them or ANYTHING of that nature it would be a GREAT help!! Dominican is a private school and it is very expensive!! Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Staten Island, New York

73 months ago

OTGuy09 in Tallahassee, Florida said: Wow, those numbers are pretty disappointing if they're accurate. Sometimes info like this that is online or distributed in schools is outdated, based on what my experience has been talking to OT's in the field. I spoke with one recently in the rehab unit of our local hospital who said the hospital was paying consistent with standard wages posted on the BLS website (65-68k annually) to keep competitive with other employers. I have also been told by OT's that A LOT of your salary boils down to how well you can negotiate, so...

Just food for thought.

Here in New York the an OT can start out at 60,000 depending upon how much home based services the individual is willing to do. If they are willing to have a lot of cases they can make up to $150,000 a year. Its a growing field our population is living longer and more people are being diagnosed with neurological disorders. If your willing to work hard for your money then it is worth it

missM in East Orange, New Jersey

73 months ago

Christine in Staten Island, New York said: Here in New York the an OT can start out at 60,000 depending upon how much home based services the individual is willing to do. If they are willing to have a lot of cases they can make up to $150,000 a year. Its a growing field our population is living longer and more people are being diagnosed with neurological disorders. If your willing to work hard for your money then it is worth it

Hi Christine, I decided to visit this blog for insite because I am contmplating a career change. Becoming an OT is one career path of choice. Can you or anyone willing, tell me what a day in your life is like? Also, where did you acquire training and how well did it prepare you for the actual job? Thanks for the information :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OOTT in Alamo, Texas

67 months ago

i seriously dont know what to put for my reasons for seeking a graduate degree in OT. i feel like i am going to put the same thing as everyone else and it wont make me stand out at all i am so nervous my GPA isn't the good and i only have 20 hours in volunteer work :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

reena in Salinas, California

67 months ago

have 160 hrs volunteer hrs,A's in prerequisites,bachelors and masters in healthcare with GPA 3.2 altogether,great recommendation letters but,MAT score 399(required min 400)...What r my chances to SJSU M.O.T pattern 2??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mermaid88 in Oakland, California

67 months ago

Hi everyone,

I just want to know what you guys think about my chances into getting into OT school for fall 2010 and which schools I should apply to.

I graduated from University of California Irvine with a BA in Economics and Political Science with a 3.0. I was doing financial stuff and was unhappy. I'm taking my prereqs right now, doing OKAY with anatomy but getting A's in my psych courses. I will probably get around a 1200 on my GRE's.

I volunteered at a pediatric clinic for 2 months. Observed at another pediatric clinic and a hand therapy clinic for about 10 hours each. I just got a job as a Behavior Therapist at a Elementary school working with Autistic children. I work currently at a center for adults with develepmental disorders as an Instructor. Lastly, I volunteer at the Stanford Children's hospital at the OT/PT department.

The downside is, I just started all of this in July, and started the jobs and such a month ago. So, it may look like I rushed into my decision with OT. Secondly, I doubt I will get above a 3.5 for my pre reqs and I know my undergrad GPA is not high (3.0). Also my GRE score will not be great, probably around 1100 to 1200.

I am applying to USC, NYU, Columbia, SJSU for sure. What do you think my chances are to get into those schools? And then for my fifth school, I am deciding between BU and University of Chicago. I would rather go to BU or course but I feel like my chances of getting into UIC are higher. What do you all think?

I would really appreciate any comments because I have no one else to talk to about this because I don't know any other potential OT's! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

KK in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Dear Potential OT,
I’d say that you have a fair chance at many if not all of your choices. I think that you can do a lot with what you have presented to us about yourself, just word it correctly on your essay.
When applying for the program, in your essay make sure you show that you are a compassionate person. Try to show that you have leadership skills, can empathize, understand verbal and nonverbal conversation (reading someone), good at earning and keeping trust, and are a attentive person. You don’t have to show these things or can only touch on them but they are the essential characteristics/skills/qualities of an OT.
You can only change the future so go on and start writing something now!

Good to know you from Oakland, California. That’s where I am from. I’ve been at Uni of Chicago for the last 2 months.

mermaid88 in Fremont, California

67 months ago

hey KK! thanks so much for the response. I was really thinking about writing about my current job at the center for disabled people from ages 25 and up. I learned a lot from this group, because mental health is something many people do not go into. I really like the idea about understanding nonverbal conversation.

Where else did you apply? How is Chicago and why did you decide to go there? I'm actually from fremont, i'm not sure why my post says i'm from oakland!

nena in Elgin, Illinois

67 months ago

Hi everyone. So I just wanted to get feedback on where I stand. I'm from Chicago. I'am applying to all the schools in Chicago. Every school has different requirement for the MOT program. I have an average GPA of 3.0. I did not score a 1000 on the GRE. Most schools do requrie a 1000. I did over 40 hours of observation. I work at an Assisted Living place for the past year. I believe that I have strong recommendation letters and work experience to back me up.

Any Suggestions?

GREATthings in Marine City, Michigan

67 months ago

nena:

Honestly, getting into the OT program is harder than the program itself, believe me- I was in your shoes once. If you are really set on becoming an OT then I would try to do something about that 3.0 GPA. 3.0 is pretty much a minimum standard anywhere now, so to be competitive you will need to boost it up to somewhere around 3.2 or even 4.0.

I think your work experience in an assisted living center will make your application look that much better though, good luck! You may make it in even with the min GPA.

mermaid88 in San Jose, California

67 months ago

I have a 3.0 too for my BA. I'm really hoping my OT related experiences can help me get in.

67 months ago

Ruby Tuesday in Memphis, Tennessee said: Miss Mermaid --- do some more thinking - you're probably young and can choose to do anything - why do this??? Why do this to yourself? And, plus all the school debt unless you're independently wealthy? Are you really buying into all of the OT propaganda? Believe what you read on this forum from those who've been out there and have the real stories to tell. Just trying to save you a lot of wasted time and money.

Hey Ruby Tuesday,

I definitely have been reading all the other OT forums and it did make me think twice. I've thought about SLP but I definitely don't want to do PT. For me, I'm pretty sure I want to work in pediatrics, at a sensory integration clinic, or at a school working with other therapists. If I'm lucky maybe I can work in the rehab dept at a hospital.

I felt like all the people that had bad things to say were in SNFs. I tried to ask about pediatrics, and I heard about the whole SI thing being shut down? I was actually going to ask some OTs in peds about this situation. Because if there is no future for OT's with peds, then that really worries me.

Ruby Tuesday, where do you work now? What fields in OT have you worked in before so I can get a better understanding of the settings you did not like. Also, do you know anything about OT and pediatrics?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hmm..I can see where you're coming from. I actually looked into SLP. Is it a lot more difficult to get into a masters program for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I'm pretty sure I don't like PT, I've observed a few before. It wasn't bad, but it didn't seem for me. I don't know a lot about SLP. I've been volunteering/observing/working for about 6 months now. I like all the pediatric clinics I volunteered at. I love the childrens hospital i volunteer at. I hated hand therapy, and pretty sure I won't like nursing home facilities. I feel a little confused about everything after reading all these threads. I'm not saying OT is better than PT or anything, I'm sure PT schooling is way more extensive, its 4 years now.

67 months ago

ruby tuesday, if you could choose all over again, what would you choose?

alana9494 in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

I am an OT student just starting fieldwork and I sometimes find myself thinking, "what the hell am I doing here?" Some of the students I work along side are so excited and happy about the profession they are about to embark on, but I have seriously lost interest in it, and I am not even graduated yet.
First there was the whole "what do OT's do?" thing, and I still am not 100% on that, all I know is that they are practically the jack of all trades, but not a master in any of them. In order to be a master of anything in OT, you have to go through more schooling and get certified in specific areas. Secondly, I came into the profession thinking I would find a job in a hand clinic or something, seems to me that SNF jobs are the only thing out there at this point. Oh, and I HATE HATE HATE doing activities! I mean, what is the difference if the recreation therapist does it? I never understood the diff between rec therapy and OT in the psych area. Isn't it cheaper to hire a rec therapist over an OT anyways?

What should I do? I would drop out of the program if my dad weren't paying for all of it. If I told him I was planning on dropping out of a program he paid big bucks for, he would dis-own me, and probably never help me out again.

So what are my options? Can I go get an Orthotist certificate or something after I graduate and just work strictly as an orthotist? Or how about a lymph-edema specialist? Are these common to specialize in? I really hate doing activities and ADLs (of course I thought I loved them before I started school). I used to be super excited for OT school, but the more I do it, the more I hate it. HELP

PS. "Ruby" please don't bash me, I have read through all of your posts already and it is not necessary to hate on me (or anyone else for that matter). All I want are some clear choices, tips, or options that can lead me away from OT w/o having to drop out or go back to school for another 4 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FGT in Greenville, South Carolina

67 months ago

Mermaid,
Try looking into nursing. You can always work in the peds area. Take it from someone who made a HUGE mistake by studying the OTA program for a career change, do yourself a favor and run away from OT. It's ridiculous.

Alana,
If you've just started the program and on your first field work, I would say finish out the semester and then think long and hard about what you would like to do instead of OT and do it. If you explain to your dad how absolutely stupid the profession is I'm sure he'll understand.

If you are at the end of your program, finish the crappy program, take the ridiculous test to get your certification, then get a stupidily unfilling job in OT while you're going back for something else. Don't be down on yourself, OT has fooled alot of people into thinking it's a great profession. You seem very bright and a quick learner if you're already aware of the OT nonsense that surrounds you. I thought the same thing in my first month of OTA school; but I thought it was just me. I should have dropped out and moved on to something else. Do what you need to do to make yourself happy. I know your dad would want you to be happy too! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I appreciate all your info, but I am so stressed out that after all this time and effort in school, I will end up having to go back and do it over again in another field. I feel like I am going nuts!!! The whole DynaSplint thing seems great and all but I am kind of a home-body, I would only like to travel if it involved an all inclusive hotel in the Bahamas, (all expenses paid of course) lol!! Besides, I have a fiance here who is ready to settle down soon, which is kinda pushing me to get this over with. So traveling is out of the question...

The thing that irks me the most is when I first entered college my best friend and I were both pre-nursing students, after a rough fight we had together I changed my major to OT so i wouldn't have to deal with being around her! What a STUPID thing for me to do!! Boy, was I a dumb kid or what! Now we are friends again (years later) and she is on her way to becoming a nurse anesthetist, while I will be going back to square 1.
I call and vent to her all the time, I think she is going nuts listening to me, glad I found this forum!

By the way, what do you think of becoming a CHT? I know its like 5 years of hands on experience or somewhere in that arena. (is it 2000 hrs hand experience?) I forget. Anyways, is this a good option to get away from all the fluff out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hmmm...Ok, well my choices are limited, but I sorta disagree that the hand test is "geared for OTs". That just seems kinds silly to me, but everyone has their own beliefs.

Ok, so I looked online for some info on becoming an orthotist and/or prosthetist. On the Florida chapter of AOPA it says that to become a prosthetist or an orthotist students may 1) complete a four-year bachelor's degree in prosthetics or orthotics and complete a one-year residency program for each discipline or 2) receive a bachelor's degree in another field plus a certificate in prosthetics or orthotics and complete a one-year residency in the discipline. Course work includes biomechanics, material science, anatomy, pathomechanics, gait evaluation/normal human locomotion, range of motion/manual muscle testing, measurement, impression taking, fitting and alignment, and lower-limb and upper-limb prostheses and orthoses didactic and function principles.

So I would fit into the 2nd category of course, I looked at the avg salary and it was around 80k, which is great. Plus I could use some of the stuff I already learned in OT school about MMT, ROM and the like. At least this way I can build on what I already know and make use of this degree I do not plan on working in. I'm kinda wondering what the job outlook is for these professionals? There are definitely not a lot of them out there.

Any other suggestions on careers I can look into where I can build on previous schooling and/or knowledge? (no nursing)

oldmaid

67 months ago

well said, Baywatch

Baywatch in Fort Collins, Colorado

67 months ago

I'm not in OT school. I'm a PT. Way to make assumptions. Perhaps you should do some truthtelling on a forum where someone asked what the pros and cons of OT are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in California

67 months ago

Baywatch in Fort Collins, Colorado said: I'm not in OT school. I'm a PT. Way to make assumptions. Perhaps you should do some truthtelling on a forum where someone asked what the pros and cons of OT are.

They do that all the time. And they endlessly change there name because they keep getting reported on. And as far as OT journal article OT: culture or cult, its nothing more than an over-inflated paragraph. I read a review on it and it really proves nothing. The people who wrote are just full of hot-air like Ruby Tuesday.

67 months ago

Ruby,
Can't find the article. Would love to read it. Do you have a link?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Baywatch in Fort Collins, Colorado

67 months ago

I feel sorry for you Ruby Tuesday. You must be a very unhappy person. You don't know anything about me, and yet you feel that you can judge my character based on a few sentences. I actually am a PT, and I was looking into admissions statistics for OT school because my college roommate is considering applying in a year or so. I had hoped to find relevant information on this forum, but instead came across your endless drivel. Please stop. And please don't correct my spelling or grammar. This is just an online forum.

67 months ago

Looks like you have to pay to view the article. I don't need to pay a cent for someone to tell me this profession is ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WorryWart in Hamilton, Ontario

66 months ago

Im from Hamilton, ON, Canada and Im planning on applying to some OT schools in the states because the OT/PT programmes in Canada are Ultra competitive to get into. My only worry really is my GPA. Over here, schools look at your last two years, which for me, are great... my cGPA on the other hand is pretty horrible. I was in the Life Sciences programme at McMaster U, and lets just say first year wasnt easy! My cGPA is really suffering from my first 2 years. With that said, I'm looking for some American schools that have roughly the same admission requirements as the Canadian schools.. that is, that they look at the last 2 years (or 60 credit hours) only during admissions. Does anyone know of schools that look at this?

Thanks in advance for your input

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.