occupational therapy assistant, finding a school!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 180)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

becky nettles in Portland, Oregon

88 months ago

I have been searching everywhere, to try and find out information in becoming a Occupational Therapist assistant in Oregon. Does anyone have any insight or advice on my next move? All the schools I have found seem to be in Ohio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in West Palm Beach, Florida

88 months ago

According to Google, this is the only OT school in Oregon.

www.sou.edu/catalog/00-01/preprofessional/occupational.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Indiana

88 months ago

Charlie in West Palm Beach, Florida said: According to Google, this is the only OT school in Oregon.

www.sou.edu/catalog/00-01/preprofessional/occupational.htm

That's not an OTA program it's an OTR program. According to the NBCOT and AOTA there are no OTA programs in Oregon. Check this site.

www.aota.org/Students/Schools/EntryLevelOTA/40561.aspx#ar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marissa in Sutherlin, Oregon

88 months ago

Well it just so happens that I have been wondering the same thing! Pacific University has a professional program that is for those wanting to be a occupational therapist and i do beleive that they have an assistant degree program too, but I'm not sure. Look up the schools homepage. The website that was reffered to above is for southern oregon university and ive been to that page and i think that they just have a degree program you can take prior to going through a proffesional course at another school...but yes I'm in search for some answers as well currently as far as the assistant programs go!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I have researched every school in Oregon and none of them offer a Occupational Thereapy assitant program. There used to be a school, but they dropped the program? I have been looking at the Phyisical therapist assistant program at MT. Hood community college. What I am wondering now, is if there is any demand for an OTA?

Bob in Portland, OR

88 months ago

There are no more OTA programs in Oregon, believe me I know I am currently working as a COTA. If you find one you better make sure it is accredited or you will be waisting your time and hard earned money. Yes there is a need for COTAs here but most of the rehab companies want someone with experience. Also, you have to be very flexible in where you live as OTRs get first choice in jobs... you get what's left over. I went back to college three years ago and will be leaving this field at the end of May 2008.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie B in Fairfield, California

87 months ago

I'll be graduating the OTA program at Sacramento City College in December 08. We've lived in Oregon before, and would like to move back in the next few years, but only if I can find work as a COTA. We'd really like to relocate to the Bend area. I've written the Oregon OT association, but they haven't responded yet. It looks like there may be some jobs around Portland, Salem, and Eugene, but I'm not seeing many, and I'm sure not seeing any in Eastern Oregon. Any input?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marissa in Medford, Oregon

87 months ago

Thats great! Ive been considering going to Sacremento City as one of my options to go through a PTA program. Um well I dont know if you've considered it, but it seems like when I was researching jobs available as physical & occupational therapist assistants in my area there were quite a few jobs. I live in Southern Oregon... maybe you already lived here because you said you lived in Oregon. But if you didn't it is a very beautiful area! I love it =) Good luck on your search.

Brenda N in Portland, Oregon

86 months ago

becky nettles in Portland, Oregon said: I have been searching everywhere, to try and find out information in becoming a Occupational Therapist assistant in Oregon. Does anyone have any insight or advice on my next move? All the schools I have found seem to be in Ohio?

The closest program that I am aware of is at Green River Community College in Auburn, WA. I am an OTA and that is where I went to school many, many, years ago.

86 months ago

To the south is Sacramento City College - that's where I'm attending - it's a 2-year evening program, and the only one in Northern California.

Good luck!
Debbie B.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Marissa in Medford, Oregon said: Thats great! Ive been considering going to Sacremento City as one of my options to go through a PTA program. Um well I dont know if you've considered it, but it seems like when I was researching jobs available as physical & occupational therapist assistants in my area there were quite a few jobs. I live in Southern Oregon... maybe you already lived here because you said you lived in Oregon. But if you didn't it is a very beautiful area! I love it =) Good luck on your search.

The PTA program is also very popular - much larger than our small OTA class (14). We've never lived in Southern Oregon, but we're flexible. Thanks for the input.

Catherine in Tacoma, WA

86 months ago

Brenda N in Portland, Oregon said: The closest program that I am aware of is at Green River Community College in Auburn, WA. I am an OTA and that is where I went to school many, many, years ago.

Yep!!... it's the only program in left in the Northwest but I have heard it's not the best program. Nevada is the only state that has a program (1) other than Washington. It seems COTAs will be joining the dinosaur in the not so distant future.

86 months ago

I actually just went to the informayion session at Mt.Hood community college, and it was great. Mt.Hood community college seems to be a good school, as well. I also have been looking at the job market for PTA versus COTA, It seems the demand is much higher for PTA's. So, I enrolled at Mt.Hood. I start in the summer! Thanks for all of the input

Catherine in Tacoma, WA

86 months ago

becky nettles in Portland, Oregon said: I actually just went to the informayion session at Mt.Hood community college, and it was great. Mt.Hood community college seems to be a good school, as well. I also have been looking at the job market for PTA versus COTA, It seems the demand is much higher for PTA's. So, I enrolled at Mt.Hood. I start in the summer! Thanks for all of the input

I think you made the right decision. Although, there is a lot of lifting involved.

Erin Blair in Fort Wayne, Indiana

84 months ago

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what to study most on for the NBCOT in Indiana. I am taking the test in a month and am worried about what to study. Any help would be appriciated.

Pam in Santa Ana, CA

84 months ago

Go to the NBCOT website. They have an online study guide that has some sample questions. I hear there are many variations of the test so it is difficult to know what to study for. Like they say, "If you don't know it by now, you never will".

Aimee in Oakhurst, California

83 months ago

Does anyone know of any online COTA program ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

No, It is really hard to try and embark on this field. Not very many programs. Where are you at again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I'm in a small town in california called Coarsegold. There are no schools close by that offer anything and was wondering if someone knew of any cota programs that were online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Aimee, I don't think you'll find any online. I'm in my second year of the OTA program at Sacramento City College, and my coursework has included doing Level 1 Fieldwork: 12 hours of observations in a Pediatric Setting, 40 hours in a Mental Health Setting, and 40 Hours in a Physical Disabbility Setting. This Fall I will begin a 320 hours of Level 2 Fieldwork, half of which will be in a Skilled Nursing Facility. Much of the labtime has included learning how to measure Range of Motion and muscle quality, doing transfers correctly, learning care and use of equipment including wheelchairs and hoyer lifts, taking vitals, administering a variety of assessments, practicing activities of daily living, and collaborating with both the teacher and peers. I really don't see how this could be done with just an online course. I wish you the best,
Debbie B.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

becky in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

I am not 100%, but I don't think that they offer any COTA programs online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

83 months ago

becky nettles in Portland, Oregon said: I have been searching everywhere, to try and find out information in becoming a Occupational Therapist assistant in Oregon. Does anyone have any insight or advice on my next move? All the schools I have found seem to be in Ohio?

I am having the same problem, I have found some schools in Minnesota but there are only three of them. I am also trying to find any schools that offer the program on line, due to the fact that I don't have alot of free time. I realize that there is a lot of hands on stuff that I would need to do, but I would like to do as much of it on line as possible if I could. If you have any information on any on line schools that have this program I would greatly appreciate any info. Thank You Kathy

83 months ago

Unfortunately everything you learn is hands-on. There are no online programs. Have you ever considered becoming a PTA? There seems to be a lot more programs and demand. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

No, I have not, But thank you !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

What is the salary of an OTA?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

it is such an interesting job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley Seaton in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

Katie in Fort Worth, Texas said: it is such an interesting job

whao that is cool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Larraine in Camarillo, California

81 months ago

Aimee in Oakhurst, California said: I'm in a small town in california called Coarsegold. There are no schools close by that offer anything and was wondering if someone knew of any cota programs that were online.

Hi Amiee
There is a city college in Santa Ana that offers the program ....you can check them out...I too do not live close by but what they offer is there theory classes online but the hands on classes require two night a week on campus. Hope this helps.

Marlynn in Canby, Oregon

76 months ago

Aimee in Oakhurst, California said: I'm in a small town in california called Coarsegold. There are no schools close by that offer anything and was wondering if someone knew of any cota programs that were online.

Aimee, I just had to respond to you because my grandparents used to live in Oakhurst and I remember Coarsegold well! We used to love to go and spend summers there! I'm a school based COTA here in Canby which is just outside of Portland. I love my job as it's very rewarding. I went through Mt. Hood's program a long time ago. Best of Luck to you.

becky in Vancouver, Washington

76 months ago

Hello,
unfortunately they stopped the COTA program at Mt. Hood CC in Portland,or/ They do however offer a PTA program that I highly suggest, which seems o be a field in "higher demand". I haven;t been able to find any COTA programs online. It's more hands on..

Good luck

Kimberlyn in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

i'm a cota. i say go for PTA program.

i wish i did.

Krinkerbelle in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

If Bond Measure 26-95 passes in November 2008, PCC will have enough funds to develop an OTA and PTA program. So VOTE YES on Bond Measure 26-95!!!

Susan in Merrillville, Indiana

75 months ago

I am currently interested in a COTA program at a nearby school. I have an associates degree in business and I want to go back to school for more money. I currently make $15.25 at a doctors office and I don't know whether I should go back for my bachelors or if I should go for a COTA degree. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there is a demand in Northwest Indiana for COTA's? I don't want to waste my time and money for a COTA degree if it's not worth it.

Ella in Waynesboro, Virginia

75 months ago

Susan in Merrillville, Indiana said: I am currently interested in a COTA program at a nearby school. I have an associates degree in business and I want to go back to school for more money. I currently make $15.25 at a doctors office and I don't know whether I should go back for my bachelors or if I should go for a COTA degree. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there is a demand in Northwest Indiana for COTA's? I don't want to waste my time and money for a COTA degree if it's not worth it.

I wouldn't waste my time. Going to school for 2 more years you can surely find a better career. If you really like medical stuff then there has to be something better than this. Anything is better than this! There is nothing enjoyable about this career. Just my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Fort Wayne, Indiana

75 months ago

I am a COTA in NorthEastern Indiana. The jobs around here are far and few between. The further South you go the more jobs that are available. If you dont mind moving it is a good opportunity. The jobs down south are getting at least $25 an hour and good benefits. But to tell you the truth if you are going to stay north it is very hard to find a good paying COTA position. Hope this helps.

Erin

Deb in Saint John, Indiana

73 months ago

Erin in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I am a COTA in NorthEastern Indiana. The jobs around here are far and few between. The further South you go the more jobs that are available. If you dont mind moving it is a good opportunity. The jobs down south are getting at least $25 an hour and good benefits. But to tell you the truth if you are going to stay north it is very hard to find a good paying COTA position. Hope this helps.

Erin

Susan, if you already have an associates degree, then I can't imagine that you would be in school for another 2 years. I also live in Northwest Indiana and have just finished the OTA program. I'm waiting to take my boards in January. Why are you interested specifically in OTA? There ARE a lot of jobs in this area...in the school setting, SNF, hospitals. Have you checked into the South Suburban College program or are you looking at somewhere else?

73 months ago

Deb, you are right I would be in school for a little over a year for my COTA degree. I am looking at Brown Mackie College in Merrillville, they have a new program. Did you go to South Suburban College for your degree? I just am undecided if I want to do this because I have a small child and I cannot cut down on my hours at work while going to school. I know it will be difficult, but if it is worth it in the end then I will do it. I have to further my education for more money, the issue I have is if I should get a bachelor's degree or OTA degree. I am interested in OTA because I work or an orthopedic surgeon now, have some knowledge in the field, and it would take me less time than a bachelors degree.

73 months ago

Susan,
Yes I went to South Suburban (not sure about Brown Mackie...I think they shut down for a while to become accredited. Check them out THOROUGHLY before you sign up. I know SSC is one of the best programs out there...especially for fieldwork placement...and trust me, your fieldwork sites are important!) You're right...it is a full-time program and will be difficult with a small child and job. I think the money depends on what you're making now...and what other field your bachelor's would be in. Are there COTAs that work at your current job site?

73 months ago

Thank you so much for your input and knowledge. I have decided to go for my bachelor's degree. I can take as many classes as I want so that I am not overwhelmed. I have decided to get into pharmaceutical sales since I know a few people that come to my office. I think down the road this will be a better decision for me and my family. Thank you so much again and good luck to you!

73 months ago

Good luck to you also! The health care field is booming...and certainly won't slow down anytime in the future, so if you go that route, you can't go wrong. Take care!

linda s in Austin, Texas

73 months ago

I am 54 years old and have been in the real estate market for 10 years. i have wanted to be in the medical field for many years. I started nursing school many years ago. I was thinking about being a COTA or PTA. Does anyone know who has the best program in Austin , TX. I will have to work full time as I go to school. I want to work in the medical field while in school if possible.
Any help would be great. I would love to visit with someone in the area that is involved in this field.
Thanks for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle victoria in San Antonio, Texas

72 months ago

hello im michelle and i live here in texas and there are plenty of COTA jobs, however during the summer it is a scorcher, I am going back to school for my COTA and will eventually go into a Masters for Occupational therapy. I was pursuing a Respiratory associates degree and after one year in a half this spring of 09 i wouldve graduated but there was a change in opinions by my professors. They felt like my critical decision skills weren't compatible but that is ok because there are much higher demands for COTA/PTAs, i guess respiratory care is a specialty and really all you do is critical care. whereas with OT and PT you can do alot more.

Amrit in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

hello, I am Amrit and live in Palmdale, California. I have done Occupational Therapy Aide certificate program from Penn Foster, but still hunting for job. I don't see any chances of getting the job. I am so disappointed. Now Iam planning to go for COTA. Unfortuntely there is no school in our area has COTA. I am full time mom. If you know any nearby schools have COTA program, pl let me know or if there is any online schools having COTA.

Thanx
amrit

Debbie in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

I know that Santa Ana City College and Loma Linda University have the OTA program. SACC has an online program but you must attend so many classes and find your own field work assingments. Theres a link on here somewhere that lists all the accredited OTA programs in the USA. However, let me remind you that finding a COTA job here in So. Cal. is just as difficult as finding a job as a OT aide. There's just to many foreign therapists here that are willing to take what a COTA makes. There's only about 600 COTAs in California compared to 27,000 OTRs. LOTS OF COMPETITION HERE, I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

thanks for your valuable advice. Are u COTA or OTR ? If I ask for your advice what would you tell me , doing COTA is more useful or Physical Therapy? Iam basically an accounts person and thinking of changing my carrer. I personlly feel both are almost same but in the job world what do think is more useful?

72 months ago

I am neither but going into Occupational therapy assistant, i was in Respiratory care, but critical care isn't really my cup of tea. I am more of the hands on type of person and I think that COTA and PTAs are of great value, it just depends on you as a person. Me I like working more with functional activities and special needs populations, although I am a Kinesiotherapist and did almost all that PTs do, but now kinesiotherapy is being phased out and that is why i got into respiratory therapy, but through trial and error, plus experience i learned that I am more of the functional hands on teaching type therefore for me a COTA/OT would be of more value for me.

Ally in Saratoga Springs, New York

72 months ago

I am hearing COTA's do a lot of diaper changing and other tasks of that nature.
Can anyone already working in the position tell me if it a lot like direct care, where you change poopy diapers and empty urine bags?

72 months ago

hi thanks for your time. You seem to have trmendous knowledge and experience of various fields. If u don't mind can u tell me which college you are doing COTA from ? Is there any entrance exam for COTA?
I am trying to collect the information from Santa Ana college. Thanks again.

72 months ago

I am doing my COTA here in San Antonio TX but I need to be accepted first into the program, I have been accepted once, but I chose respiratory therapy. However, now in reflecting of all my experiences that Occupational therapy is much better suited for me. Well for COTA no you don't have to take a test, but for Occupational therapy you will need to take a test for entrance for graduate school since most programs if in fact all are now Masters degrees. Go into the www.aota.org and find schools that will tell you where a COTA program is. In fact in Minnesota there is a school called College of St Catherine in St Paul, MN.

daisy in Gainesville, Florida

72 months ago

does any one know if you can take an 100% online degree for OTA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.