HOW TO WORK AS OPTOMETRIST HERE IN CANADA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 203)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

LEVY in Saint Albert, Alberta

91 months ago

i have been worked as optometrist in the philippines for almost 10 years,now im here in canada and i want to practice my profession as optometrist,do i need to attend some class just to upgrade my profession? where? and what is the requirements that i need to be optometrist here in canada..

thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Warman, Saskatchewan

83 months ago

I need to know how much are they paying for OPTOM assistant in Canada whilst u waiting for the exams

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

LEVY in Edmonton, Alberta

79 months ago

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Yes it is. we are growing.

DrK

Hi Dr. Kashin,
How are you? Maybe you can help me too ...Can I work with you as Assistant Optometrist? Where did you practice your profession? I hope you dont mind if I ask you...Do you know any optical shop here in Edmonton whose hiring an Assistant Optometrist?

Thank you very much...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shuva Bose in Brisbane, Australia

74 months ago

Hi Dr K,
My name is Shuva Bose and I am an optometrist in Brisbane, Australia. I graduated from Queensland University of Technology in 2006 and am currently completing the Graduate Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics which will enable me full rights of prescription for topical medications. Since graduating I have worked as a clinical optometrist in retail settings and rural settings and am currently working as a consultant optometrist at a private ophthalmological practice. I am keen for a trip to Canada to work as an optometrist. Given my current qualifications and work experience, would you be able to please tell me what additional procedures I will have to undergo to attain a practicing licence. I believe the Optometrists Association of Australia is currently in the process of organising mutual recognition for the Australian optometry qualification in Canada which should be finalised following commencement of national registration next year. What is your knowledge regarding this issue and do you know how the procedure will be altered then?
Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Thank you in advance.
Shuva

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gj in Ahmadabad, India

73 months ago

hello sir,
i am fresher B.Optometry student from india.i am wishing to join waterloo IOBP prog....can't i join it without any work experience?..bcoz it is required 2 yrs of experience?i did one year internship and more than 50 camps during my internships..will it help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

prospective optometry student in Mississauga, Ontario

72 months ago

Hi,

I'm currently studying at University of Toronto, and I'm thinking of going to Australia or the U.K. to study Optometry. From my research it appears that these international schools only offer a Bachelor of Optometry (and Masters) instead of O.D.. Would that pose a problem if I wish to come back to Toronto to practice?
Also, I've contacted Waterloo to ask questions about the bridging program. They told me that it doesn't matter which university I attend, they only assess you based on individual knowledge and it's through the assessment will they put you in the correct bridging program. Can you give me any insight as to what is necessary to be accepted into the bridging program? Is it difficult to be accepted? What are potential problems I may face coming back to Canada?

Lastly, does anybody know which international schools are the best and most reputable in Canada?

I'm so sorry for the lengthy questions. It's really difficult to find international
optometry students.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steph in Manila, Philippines

67 months ago

hi, i am an optometrist here in the Philippines, currently working in one of the biggest eye center here.. i also passed and topped the Optometric licensure exam in the country. I am planning to migrate and work in Canada. Are there any job opportunities for me? pls reply thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

benjie in Markham, Ontario

67 months ago

steph in Manila, Philippines said: hi, i am an optometrist here in the Philippines, currently working in one of the biggest eye center here.. i also passed and topped the Optometric licensure exam in the country. I am planning to migrate and work in Canada. Are there any job opportunities for me? pls reply thanks

Hi Steph! anong batch mo? pwede kaya to? ha ha! tagalog! anyway, to be courteous, we have to do this in english. which eye center are you working for? just curious! You have 2 options, migrate first then take the IOBP or the other way around. Both have pros and cons. But surely, to be an opto here, you will have to go through IOBP. The good thing if you land here as an immigrant, you can apply for any job you want. As for me, I took the other route. Hope this helps...

Benjie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

steph in Manila, Philippines

67 months ago

hi.. are u benjie liao? can i take the IOBP first before going there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

benjie in Markham, Ontario

67 months ago

Hi steph! Yes I am. I have a few Stephanie in mind but I don't know which one you are. Anyway, to briefly answer your question, Yes. You can do the IOBP things first before you immigrate. You just need a valid visa to come here and take the IOBP. Again, there are the pros and cons. You can email me if you need more insight. I'll be glad to help you in as far as my experience in the applications. That's benjie_liao@yahoo.com. Good morning there!
Benjie

MALLE UPENDER REDDY in hyderabad, India

67 months ago

HI .....
ZUBAIN HRU I HAVE JUST READ YOUR QUESTIONS TOWARDS JOB IN CANADA.
I MYSELF DOING MY B.OPT NOW IN INDIA SO ME TOO IN HUNT OF JOB IN CANADA WIT YOU THANKS FOR YOUR QUESTIONS AS MY HEART IS STRIKING FOR THE SAME QUESTIONS SINCE MY COURSE JOIN

Zubin in Ottawa, Ontario

67 months ago

Dear Upender,
Before thinking of working as an Optometrist in Canada, you must think of getting your credentials assessed. There are many hurdles. for more info visit :www.optometry.uwaterloo.ca/

vivek singh in Manama, Bahrain

66 months ago

Dr. MacDonnell in Corner Brook, Newfoundland said: Hi everyone,

I came across this thread and noticed a number of people interested in working in Canada as an Optometrist once they have completed the necessary bridging program and CSAO. If anyone is interested in employment in Newfoundland, Canada please contact me at dlmacdonnell@hotmail.com . I am looking for a full time associate.

Thanks.

sir i am working as a optometrist in bahrain i have both licenced india and bahrain i am interested to work with u if possible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Salah in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

65 months ago

Dr.Kashin,

I'm Optometrist working in this field since 1997 and
planning to immigrate to Canada what is my chance to work there as an optometrist for Diploma in Optometry for 3 years from Jordan,in meanwhile i sent my CV for International Optometric Bridging Program in Waterloo university but they said it's not possible for bridging. can you show me the path to the right way.. need your advice .

Thanks

Dr Kashin in Mitchell, South Dakota

64 months ago

If you do not qualify for the bridging program then you would have to go back to school. try the CAO website opto.ca,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tay in Winnipeg, Manitoba

64 months ago

interesting..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba

64 months ago

Tay in winnipeg.....Where do you work?

tay in Winnipeg, Manitoba

64 months ago

Dr. Kashin, I graduated BS Doctor of Optometry back in Manila, Philippines, and my family and I are based here in Winnipeg, and I'm finding it very hard to look for a job related to that profession, can you give me details on what work should i be applying for and where, though I did'nt take my licence back in Philippines I worked there for a company as their Optometrist for lots of years, I need to work and I don't know where, but I'm willing to go back to school when I have my finances ready. thank you and more power for your company.

pooja anand in New Delhi, India

64 months ago

Hi,
i am working an clinical optometrist.
with 7 years experience
i have completed B.sc in optometry and clinical optometry fellowship.

i am interested to migrate in canada
i do not want to appear for bridging course or license exam
can i work without the above
or i have to choose either path

kindly guide me for this

pooja

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

To practice in Canada, you would have to apply to have your credentials checked. Check the canadian optometric website
opto.ca for info.
If you do not go that path, you would be limited to working as a tech for an ophthalmologist or optometrist and could work at a private office under a licenced professional. Some Laser centers have hired foreign trained optometrist to do tech work or pre-lasik assessments.

Drk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

See previous replies. You may have the skill, but you need the licence. Until then, you should try for a job with as a tech. In Manitoba, certain Optometric activities are restricted to licenced individuals and cannot be delegated.
Drk

John in Surrey, British Columbia

64 months ago

Dr. Kashin, I have a couple of questions regarding the new regulations in BC. I understand your practice is located in Winnipeg, but I would still like to hear your opinion on the matter. Can you please provide an email address so I can contact you?

pooja anand in New Delhi, India

64 months ago

dear dr kashin

thank u for ur guidance.Could u help me out to provide some reference address where i can work as an optometrist assistant and what will be my job profile in that job.

thanks again
pooja

heera in Guntur, India

64 months ago

Hi,
I did my Diploma in Optometry in INDIA at LVPEI, I have been working as an opththalmic technician since 3years . I would like to work in canada. If am i eligible to it.. please tell me What should i do to accomplish my desire,If need to write any exam please tell about it and the fee details.

My E:mail ID:heeralalshaik@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Chandrachur Ghosh in Mumbai, India said: To,

Dr.Kashin
Senior Optometrist
KOG Eye Care
Canada

Respected Sir,

I, Chandrachur Ghosh, have completed my B. Optometry from the college-‘Techno India (Salt Lake Branch)under the University of W.B.U.T(West Bengal University of Technology)’ –June 2008, and Internship from ‘Eye Microsurgery & Laser Centre, Chinsura-West Bengal’ under the esteemed guidance of Dr. Arup Kumar Bose.
I, have completed the Indian Contact Lens Educational Programme from L.V.Prasad Eye Institute-Hyderabad in December-2008.
Now, I am a Permanent Optometrist in Optical Retails of Carl-Zeiss and GKB Optolab Joint Venture Company in Mumbai, since 01.07.2009 to till now.
I was a Permanent Optometrist in a Optical named Opticraft, at Rabindra Sadan-Kolkata,from 26.12.2008 to 26.06.2009.
Now, I am looking for a good opportunity and hereby searching a job(in Optometry) in Canada.
Given a chance I will prove myself and will try my level best to satisfy your expectations.

With due regards,

Chandrachur Ghosh

Hi

To work in Canada as an Optometrist, you will have to write the license exam and be assessed in the bridging program. see the webiste of the national association: www.opto.ca

regards,

DrK

kovid sharma in Mississauga, Ontario

63 months ago

Hello Dr. Kashin,
I am a Canadian citizen and have finished my Bsc from university of toronto. I am planning to go to india to get a degree in Opt and then come back to Canada and go through the bridging program. However, reading all these posts here, I am hesitating to go to india since its tough to get back into canadian system. My questions is that will I be better off in anyway as compared to people to people who are not from canada in terms of getting jobs later on.
Thanks
kovid

Dr Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba

63 months ago

It would be best for you to apply to waterloo or one of the US schools. Going to India for school, then applying for the bridging program, then going thru it then writng boards could be a long process. You will be better off paying more for the schooling and making it back when you get out. As for ease of getting a job, I do not uderstand. It should be easy for anyone licensed to get a job! If you are referring to work papers and sponsorship, then maybe.

regards,

63 months ago

John in Surrey, British Columbia said: Dr. Kashin, I have a couple of questions regarding the new regulations in BC. I understand your practice is located in Winnipeg, but I would still like to hear your opinion on the matter. Can you please provide an email address so I can contact you?

What are your concerns about the new regulations? Check out www.opto.ca for details.
drk

63 months ago

pooja anand in New Delhi, India said: dear dr kashin

thank u for ur guidance.Could u help me out to provide some reference address where i can work as an optometrist assistant and what will be my job profile in that job.

thanks again
pooja

you will have to check out opportunities at the CAO website. Look for para-optometric. www.opto.ca

63 months ago

tay in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Dr. Kashin, I graduated BS Doctor of Optometry back in Manila, Philippines, and my family and I are based here in Winnipeg, and I'm finding it very hard to look for a job related to that profession, can you give me details on what work should i be applying for and where, though I did'nt take my licence back in Philippines I worked there for a company as their Optometrist for lots of years, I need to work and I don't know where, but I'm willing to go back to school when I have my finances ready. thank you and more power for your company.

optometric tech or ophthalmic tech.
drk

Rose in Winnipeg, Manitoba

63 months ago

tay in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Dr. Kashin, I graduated BS Doctor of Optometry back in Manila, Philippines, and my family and I are based here in Winnipeg, and I'm finding it very hard to look for a job related to that profession, can you give me details on what work should i be applying for and where, though I did'nt take my licence back in Philippines I worked there for a company as their Optometrist for lots of years, I need to work and I don't know where, but I'm willing to go back to school when I have my finances ready. thank you and more power for your company.

Hi tay, I'm an Optometrist in the Philippines too, now I'm based in Winnipeg. At first, I also had a hard time entering a work in our field too, but you could try just like Dr Kashin advised, an opththalmic assistant in an Ophthalmology clinic or try to challenge an examination in Optician, you could practice on that field too, you just only need to accomplish their requirements and then you can take the exam.

melanieaclan_od@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines

63 months ago

Rose in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi tay, I'm an Optometrist in the Philippines too, now I'm based in Winnipeg. At first, I also had a hard time entering a work in our field too, but you could try just like Dr Kashin advised, an opththalmic assistant in an Ophthalmology clinic or try to challenge an examination in Optician, you could practice on that field too, you just only need to accomplish their requirements and then you can take the exam.

good day! i'm an optometrist in the philippines, still practicing here, but would like to work there as an optometrist too at canada, i am inspired by all your responses, and would like to take IOBP, i would like to know even an estimated amount of expenses of the licensing and if i want to apply as ophthalmic/optometrist assistant,how can i apply from philippines?

thanks for your response,
Dr.Mel

kousar in Bangalore, India

63 months ago

i am an optometry student .i want to do internship in canada.how can i apply and what are the pro?cedure

Rose in Winnipeg, Manitoba

63 months ago

melanieaclan_od@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines said: good day! i'm an optometrist in the philippines, still practicing here, but would like to work there as an optometrist too at canada, i am inspired by all your responses, and would like to take IOBP, i would like to know even an estimated amount of expenses of the licensing and if i want to apply as ophthalmic/optometrist assistant,how can i apply from philippines?

thanks for your response,
Dr.Mel

Hi mel, the first step to be able to practice here in our profession is to accomplish all the requirements needed in IOBP. You could either apply as a student or be an immigrant from the Philippines. Try to refer at the IOBP website and click on their application package to have the exact details about that. And as for the work here as an assistant in our field, I'm a landed immigrant here before I applied for the job, so I 'm not quite sure if how is the process to work here if you'll apply it from there.

Rose

kousar in Calcutta, India

63 months ago

sir

i am student of optometry i want to do my intern from canada how can i apply what are the procedure

AMIR in Mashhad, Iran, Islamic Republic of

63 months ago

HI IM OPTOMETRIST I GRADUATED FROM IRAN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICIN SCIENCE IN TEHRAN 1993 ID LIKE TO WORK IN CANADA CAN U HELP ME
THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

kousar in Calcutta, India said: sir

i am student of optometry i want to do my intern from canada how can i apply what are the procedure

Try the university of waterloo.
www.uwaterloo.ca or the canadian webiste www.opto.ca.
Drk

63 months ago

kousar in Calcutta, India said: sir

See the other responses. You may have to upgrade your skills before interning in Canada. Your school must have the proper credentials.

Univerity of Waterloo would be a good place to look.

Drk

Jen in Sampaloc, Philippines

63 months ago

Rose in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi mel, the first step to be able to practice here in our profession is to accomplish all the requirements needed in IOBP. You could either apply as a student or be an immigrant from the Philippines. Try to refer at the IOBP website and click on their application package to have the exact details about that. And as for the work here as an assistant in our field, I'm a landed immigrant here before I applied for the job, so I 'm not quite sure if how is the process to work here if you'll apply it from there.

Rose

Ms. Rose, I noticed that we're on the same status as landed immigrant. Can you relate a brief note about your journey since you've landed and till now that you've secured an employment in our field? I intend to leave for Winnepeg by September from Manila. Hope you can assist, thanks!

DRose in San Luis Obispo, California

61 months ago

First off all you need to have the experience and must have gone to dental school. Next, you must engage an already operating dentist. The dentist will put you through a rigorous interview to make sure you are right for the position. To aid you with this see below.
fe4787ykucz82teatekl9bfi0s.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=PPDLZZ9T

optometrist position available in Mississauga, Ontario

60 months ago

“We are currently seeking an optometrist for our new optical practice in Ottawa and Kingston. Excellent inter-personal skills and be able to multi-task well. Self-motivators valued and appreciated. Excellent salary package based on experience.

New graduates are also welcome to apply.

Please send e-mail resumes to sbabarinde@studentvisionservices.com and successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.”

Optometrist Position in Ottawa, Ontario

60 months ago

“We are currently seeking an optometrist for our new optical practice. Excellent inter-personal skills and be able to multi-task well. Self-motivators valued and appreciated. Excellent salary package based on experience.

New graduates are also welcome to apply.

Please send e-mail resumes to sbabarinde@studentvisionservices.com and successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.”

60 months ago

subhagi roy in Delhi, India said: Dear Dr.Kashin

I HAVE COMPLETED MY 2 YRS DIPLOMA IN OPTOMETRY AND THROUGH LATERAL ENTRY (DISTANCE EDUCATION )I COMPLETED MY 3YRS DEGREE IN OPTOMETRY.

AM I ELIGIBLE FOR IOBP?
AND IF I AM NOT ELIGIBLE CAN I WORK AS AN OPHTHALMIC ASSISTANT THERE .

I HEARD ABOUT NAIT,IS IT USEFUL FOR ME OR NOT TO IMPROVE MY CREDENTIALS.

KINDLY GUIDE ME

NAIT is the Optician course. You would have to contact them. You could work as an optometric tech. contact the canadian assoc. of Optometrists at www.opto.ca.

sly in Accra, Ghana

59 months ago

hi,wanted to know if after my six yr course in ghana i could work in canada,and what process would i need to go through,with what requirements.

Claire in Durban, South Africa

59 months ago

Hi, I have been practicing as an optometrist in South Africa for 6 years. I have qualified to do the IOBP at Waterloo University next year. I would like to know what would be the best move as far as applying for permanent residency goes.

It seems like a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. You need a job offer to get permanent residency, and to get a job offer you need to be licensed first and you can't get licensed without permanent residency!!!

59 months ago

Claire in Durban, South Africa said: Hi, I have been practicing as an optometrist in South Africa for 6 years. I have qualified to do the IOBP at Waterloo University next year. I would like to know what would be the best move as far as applying for permanent residency goes.

It seems like a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. You need a job offer to get permanent residency, and to get a job offer you need to be licensed first and you can't get licensed without permanent residency!!!

Hi. THere is opportunity in Canada as an optometrist. There are many physicians that have moved to Canada from South Africa and enjoy a great lifestyle.
You may find better opportunity in rural or northern communities.
Drk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

opportunity for optometrist in Ottawa, Ontario

59 months ago

zubin jiwani in Indore, India said: Dear Dr. Kashin.
I am an Optometrist from India, successfully completed CSAO recently, after completing I.O.B.P from university of waterloo in july 2008.
I am searching a job in Canada, preferably in Ottawa and Alberta. Can you help?

Zubin.

Hi We have an opening for an optometrist. Please send me an email at withwap@yahoo.ca if you are still interested

Nicetry in Toronto, Ontario

59 months ago

opportunity for optometrist in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi We have an opening for an optometrist. Please send me an email at withwap@yahoo.ca if you are still interested

withwap@yahoo.ca are you bustarded? how's going?

Seeking Optometrist in Mississauga, Ontario

59 months ago

We are looking for an optometrist (p/t or f/t) for our new optical store in Brampton, Ontario. All brand new Topcon equipment in a nice clinic with complete examination fees compensation. Experienced optometrist or new graduates are welcome to apply.

Contact bao@perfectcanada.ca for further information.

59 months ago

Check out previous posts.... go to the canadian Optometric Assoc website: www.opto.ca
She would be assessed may have to take courses to upgrade her skills to the accepeted Canadian standard ( bridging program) which can take several years.

Drk

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.