HOW TO WORK AS OPTOMETRIST HERE IN CANADA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 286)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

LEVY in Saint Albert, Alberta

80 months ago

i have been worked as optometrist in the philippines for almost 10 years,now im here in canada and i want to practice my profession as optometrist,do i need to attend some class just to upgrade my profession? where? and what is the requirements that i need to be optometrist here in canada..

thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Dr.Robert Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba

74 months ago

How far along are you? In Some provinces you can work as an assistant Optometrist while attending the bridging program and it might also be required of you for the program. Again, contact the CAO website for guidance.
DrK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Warman, Saskatchewan

72 months ago

I need to know how much are they paying for OPTOM assistant in Canada whilst u waiting for the exams

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba

68 months ago

Hi Zubin,
I have an opportunity. When Are you planning to move to Canada?

Dr.K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

zubin jiwani in Indore, India

68 months ago

Hello Dr Kashin.
Thanks for your quick reply.
You can contact me at my email. zubin_j@yahoo.com. or if you can send me your phone number.

Zubin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

zubin jiwani in Indore, India

68 months ago

I think we have had a talk before too Dr Kashin. is KOG your group?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yes it is. we are growing.

DrK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LEVY in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Yes it is. we are growing.

DrK

Hi Dr. Kashin,
How are you? Maybe you can help me too ...Can I work with you as Assistant Optometrist? Where did you practice your profession? I hope you dont mind if I ask you...Do you know any optical shop here in Edmonton whose hiring an Assistant Optometrist?

Thank you very much...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

It's been awhile since we last chatted. How is the bridging program for Optometry going? Are you licensed to pratice yet? If so, I can find an opportunity for you.

Dr.K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

What is the meaning of KOG? Do you have optical shop here in Edmonton?

Thank you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

KOG is Kashin Optometric Group.
In Alberta, you could work under the licence of an currently licensed OD. I only have opportunity for licensed optometrists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: KOG is Kashin Optometric Group.
In Alberta, you could work under the licence of an currently licensed OD. I only have opportunity for licensed optometrists.

Hi Dr.Kashin thank's again for spending your time to my questions...Regards..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

irfan ali khan in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

67 months ago

hi,Dr Im very glad to see ur comments ,i appricate ur opinion and
Inshallah ill think,please tell me wats a procidure to get the canadian visa,

Thanks
Irfan ali khan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Contact the Governemnt of Canada website.

67 months ago

I do not know the success rate. There are different levels and your ability is determined to see which bridging you need.
Once licensed, there is lots of opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

irfan ali khan in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

67 months ago

hi, sir thanks alot for reply have a nice life journey.

66 months ago

riyaz in Madras, India said: hi there.. iam an optometrist from india . ia would like to apply for IOBP with in a year or so. i would like to know the work experience they demand should be only on the clinical eye examinations or it can also be a full time dispensing optometrist?

The IOBP would require that you have skill in clinical, refraction and dispensing. They also focus on patient counselling and communication. check out opto.ca for the CAO website.
WHen you are licensed, give me an email at kogeyecare to see what opportunities there are for you.

Dr.Kashin

65 months ago

Hi,

Your experience should be helpful. There is lots of optometrist needed in Canada.
To get your licence here, you would have to write a test and perform clinical skills which will determine how much additional training in Canada you will need. You can get information about this at the Canadian Optometric Website
www.opto.ca. Look for information about the International bridging program. (IOBP).
When you are in the process, please given me an email and we will try to find you a place to work as an optometrist in Canada.

drkashin at kogeyecare.com tcspex.com

Ranadeb Banerjee in Calcutta, India

65 months ago

Dear Dr.Kashin

Thanks for your helpful reply. Is it possible for me to join as an assistant optometrist some where with my existing qualification & experience(6years)? So that I can clear the IOBP while working in Canada & become a licensed Optometrist there & get better oppertunity?
If yes, what would be my salary & other facilities to stay in Canada, & what approximately is the cost of living over there?

I am ready to join as soon as possible.

Awaiting your reply.

With Best Regards

Ranadeb Banerjee.

65 months ago

You can work as an optometric technician or ophthalmic technician. You could expect to get paid up to $20 per hour or more. You could only perform tasks that the doctor delegated to you.
Cost of living varies across the country. Check out government of Canada website www.canada.ca.

Regards,
Drk

Shuva Bose in Brisbane, Australia

64 months ago

Hi Dr K,
My name is Shuva Bose and I am an optometrist in Brisbane, Australia. I graduated from Queensland University of Technology in 2006 and am currently completing the Graduate Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics which will enable me full rights of prescription for topical medications. Since graduating I have worked as a clinical optometrist in retail settings and rural settings and am currently working as a consultant optometrist at a private ophthalmological practice. I am keen for a trip to Canada to work as an optometrist. Given my current qualifications and work experience, would you be able to please tell me what additional procedures I will have to undergo to attain a practicing licence. I believe the Optometrists Association of Australia is currently in the process of organising mutual recognition for the Australian optometry qualification in Canada which should be finalised following commencement of national registration next year. What is your knowledge regarding this issue and do you know how the procedure will be altered then?
Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Thank you in advance.
Shuva

64 months ago

Hi Shuva

TO the best of my knowledge, there is no reciprocity yet between Canada and Australia. As a matter of fact, in Winnipeg here, I know of an Australian licenced Optometrist who just finished the three week bridging program. If that goes well for him, he will be eligible for the the CSAO (national Boards). Currently this guy is working as an unlicensed Ophthalmic Tech for a laser centre.
You would have to write the assessment of skills test and practicum offered to foreign grads which determines which bridging program you need prior to eligibility to write the CSAO exams.
You could work as an ophthalmic tech in the mean time.

More info can be found at the Canadian Assoc. of Optometrist website:
www.opto.ca
THere is also info at the CSAO website.

When you are licensed and looking for a job, I can help you with that.

Regrds,

Dr.Kashin
Optometrist

lorraine_joy2003@hotmail.com in Ajax, Ontario

63 months ago

Hi,

I finished a 1 year IOBP at university of waterloo and planning to re write my csao exam maybe next year, but for the meantime i am interested to work in alberta as an optometrist under the provision of a licensed optometrist.I am currently in Toronto and willing to relocate to alberta to work at the same time earn experience and money.

I used to work at the laser eye center here in Toronto as an ophthalmic technician but i prefer to work as an optometrist as this will give me more experience and confidence doing what an optometrist should do.

Do you know any optometrist who are considering this kind of employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lorraine_joy2003@hotmail.com in Ajax, Ontario

63 months ago

THANK YOU!

63 months ago

lorraine_joy2003@hotmail.com in Ajax, Ontario said: Hi,

I finished a 1 year IOBP at university of waterloo and planning to re write my csao exam maybe next year, but for the meantime i am interested to work in alberta as an optometrist under the provision of a licensed optometrist.I am currently in Toronto and willing to relocate to alberta to work at the same time earn experience and money.

I used to work at the laser eye center here in Toronto as an ophthalmic technician but i prefer to work as an optometrist as this will give me more experience and confidence doing what an optometrist should do.

Hi Lorraine,

I am unsure of any OD in Alberta with whom you could work under. There are some limitations to delegation of restricted activities that vary from province to province. You may check the Alberta Assoc. of Optometrists or teh college of optometrist of Alberta to find out how much you can da and in what capacity.
check out: www.collegeofoptometrists.ab.ca/pdf/advisory/11.pdf

as for who is looking, check the alberta sight.

If I hear of anything, I will post it.

regards,

drk

Dr. MacDonnell in Corner Brook, Newfoundland

63 months ago

Hi everyone,

I came across this thread and noticed a number of people interested in working in Canada as an Optometrist once they have completed the necessary bridging program and CSAO. If anyone is interested in employment in Newfoundland, Canada please contact me at dlmacdonnell@hotmail.com . I am looking for a full time associate.

Thanks.

bector in Brampton, Ontario

63 months ago

hi ajax,
i came canada just 3 month ago. can u guide me how much money involve to do iobp at uni of waterloo? what is the status of competation to get addmission in iobp? i have completed my studies <graduation > from india. and how they do Credential Assessments. as i am in canada and how my college send letters and all my education data send to them.please guide me or if possible give ur phone number .i am from brampton. and my e mail id is bectorbector@hotmail.com
thanks with regards

lorraine_joy2003@hotmail.com in Ajax, Ontario said: Hi,
who

63 months ago

Hi Karav,

To get your licence here, you would have to write a test and perform clinical skills which will determine how much additional training in Canada you will need. You can get information about this at the Canadian Optometric Association Website:
www.opto.ca. Look for information about the International bridging program. (IOBP).
When you are in the process, please given me an email and we will try to find you a place to work as an optometrist in Canada

Dr.Kashin
Optometrist
KOG Eyecare

karan2888 in Navsari, India

63 months ago

hi sir

Thanks for your expert suggestion.One thing i want to know whether i can directly work as opthalmic assistant in canada on my Indian degree ? if no then what are the requirements?

Regards
karan v raval

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karan2888 in Navsari, India

63 months ago

optometric/ophthalmic assistant either of post..

63 months ago

You could probably work for an ophthalmologist as an ophthalmic tech. There is something here called certified ophthalmic technician (COMT)that requires a course of study but you should be able to pass it. Same for Optometric Technician. You may get paid more if you have the certificate as opposed to just working with your your current credentials.

DrK

gj in Ahmadabad, India

62 months ago

hello sir,
i am fresher B.Optometry student from india.i am wishing to join waterloo IOBP prog....can't i join it without any work experience?..bcoz it is required 2 yrs of experience?i did one year internship and more than 50 camps during my internships..will it help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Sydney, Australia

62 months ago

Hi there!
I am an Optometrist trained and registered in NSW Australia. I have been investigating Canadian immigration for some years now. I have the advice of an immigration lawyer who has told me that I need a firm job offer from Canada and then I will be able to get a permanent residency visa.
My experience is very exptensive over my 29 years - including clinical supervision at UNSW and business management.
I understand how IOBP works and the licensing process can be undertaken 'after' the visa is granted. It appears that it may be the cart, rather than the horse!
So....does anyone out there know of any companies or individuals who sponsor Optometrists or, alternatively, assistants/techs so that a visa can be obtained and the Optom registration undertaken?
Kind regards,
Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

You should contact the IOBP directly. They will assess you to see how qualified you are.

Regards,
Drk

WEL in Perris, California

62 months ago

MAXIDEX DEXAMETHASONE WARNING

I had eye surgery and in the post-op pack was MAXIDEX(dexamethasone) drops by ALCON LABS.

Two days later I was BLIND

Use Google and enter EPOCRATES MAXIDEX REACTION to verify

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Syed,

You can find out about getting into Canada to practice at the Canadian Assoc. of Optometrists website www.opto.ca. Look for information on the IOBP. (international Optometric bridging program).
Hope this helps.

Drk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dr Mazen in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

Hi
I think this site can help you.
OPHTHALMIC ASSISTANT (DISTANCE)

www.nait.ca/program_home_32109.htm

regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

prospective optometry student in Mississauga, Ontario

62 months ago

Hi,

I'm currently studying at University of Toronto, and I'm thinking of going to Australia or the U.K. to study Optometry. From my research it appears that these international schools only offer a Bachelor of Optometry (and Masters) instead of O.D.. Would that pose a problem if I wish to come back to Toronto to practice?
Also, I've contacted Waterloo to ask questions about the bridging program. They told me that it doesn't matter which university I attend, they only assess you based on individual knowledge and it's through the assessment will they put you in the correct bridging program. Can you give me any insight as to what is necessary to be accepted into the bridging program? Is it difficult to be accepted? What are potential problems I may face coming back to Canada?

Lastly, does anybody know which international schools are the best and most reputable in Canada?

I'm so sorry for the lengthy questions. It's really difficult to find international
optometry students.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

It is difficult to get back into Canada from those places. It is best to go to Optom school in Canada or US if you are planning to practice in Canada or US. Aussie, HK and UK grads have to go through the bridging program to practice in Canada, and that can take one to four years depending on how you do on the bridging assessment.
Save yourself time and probably money (if you factor in lost income by a delayed licencing process) by going to school in North America.

DrK

prospective optometry student in Mississauga, Ontario

61 months ago

Thanks for all the replies!

Pat: let me know how the bridging program goes for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

syed akram in Bangalore, India

61 months ago

thanks mr.pat

its really nice to get ur reply explaining abt how to get in the job in canada.pls be in touch for further any needs from my side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr.Ashok in Jaipur, India

60 months ago

Hi,
I am an Ophthalmologist, 49 yrs, with a vast and high volume clinical experience. I want to settle in canada, work in Ophthalmology and not do surgeries. Can doing the IOBP serve the purpose? Will it be better than going through the MCC and MCCQE exams etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

chitranshu k in Agra, India said: Dear Dr.Kashin,
I am chitranshu K from india and i have completed my diploma in optometry last year. I have a good experience in eye testing. Also i have 1 year experience. Can i work in canada. if yes then pls reply me how? email:- chitranshu_07@yahoo.com
i am waiting for your response.

regards,
chitranshu k varshney

You cannot without applying to have your competance assessed and pass the bridging program and the boards after that. See other posts for further answers.

Drk

Javier Conesa Sevilla in Caracas, Venezuela

59 months ago

Dear Dr.Kashin.
I`ve been working as a Optometrist since I graduated min Venezuela 25 years ago.
Iam running my own office in Puerto La Cruz Venezuela, for more of 16 years.
I would like from you some wods about the posibility osf going to practice in Calgary, where I have two doughters .
Thanks you for your advices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Levy in Edmonton, Alberta

57 months ago

Hi Dr. Kashin, its been a long time since the last time that we chatted. I did not attend to IOBP for personal reason, I am so disappointed these past few days, i tried to submit some applications here in Alberta in the optometry field for any kind of jobs related to my profession but i just found out that i cant work as Optician or eyeglass dispensing they said i need to study again and challenges the test and even as contact lens technician last time that we talked i just asked about asst.opto i thought it is easy to find some job as asst opto but unfortunately they just need Licensed Optician so to be able for me to work as Optician I need to attend 2yrs studying as optician and for contact lens optician another 2yrs. Now my question is do you know somebody here in Edmonton who can give me a career opportunity in the field of of Optometry?Pls do help me....and maybe you can help Rose too she's from your place..we have the same concerns.. or maybe Dr.Kashin i can work with you in your optical hehehe but seriously if you have friend or know somebody here in Edmonton that they can give me a chance to work with them pls let me know and can you be my reference to them,? i am really upset and im loosing hope....
pls... pls help me...Thank you very much..
Regards,
Levy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Hi Levy,

I am currently unaware of any job opprotunities in Edmonton for Optometric tech. you would have to send out a resume or letter to all the optometrist offices in the area to see if they could use someone with your experience and talent.
As for practicing, I cannot speak to the regulations of Opticians. As for Optometrists, the only way to practice is to go through the bridging program (IOBP). It is unfortunate that jobs are scarce right now. You really should contact the Alberta Assoc. of Optometrists to see if there are any job postings or if they know of any? Some LASIK surgery centres have hired foreign trained optometrists to do pre and post exams. Try lasik MD or even some ophthalmology offices. You could work as a ophthalmic tech.

Good luck,

Dr.Kashin
kogeyecare.com

57 months ago

hi.
sorry it took a while to respond. Moving to Canada from Venezuela to practice would require you to go through the bridging program (IOBP)to get assessed. Every foreign grad goes through this.
DrKashin
kogeyecare.com

57 months ago

chitranshu k in Agra, India said: Dear Dr.Kashin,
I am chitranshu K from india and i have completed my diploma in optometry last year. I have a good experience in eye testing. Also i have 1 year experience. Can i work in canada. if yes then pls reply me how? email:- chitranshu_07@yahoo.com
i am waiting for your response.

regards,
chitranshu k varshney

check out the bridging program or other info at www.opto.ca the canadian optometric website.

drkashin

Rose of Winnipeg in Winnipeg, Manitoba

57 months ago

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi Rose,
In order to practice you have to do the bridging Program (IOBP). As for jobs, as I mentioned to Levy, you should try a LASIK centre or Ophthalmologist office to work as a ophthalmic tech until you get your licence. It's a long haul to get the licence, but its worth it!

Dr.Kashin
kogeyecare.com

Dr. Kashin,

Thanks for the quick response to my query, that's very helpful. I'm just wondering if you have an opening in your clinic that I could fill in, as an Optometrist Assistant. If there's available, pls. let me know through my email, mdeocampo_06@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to be part of your company.

Thanks again.

Rose

benjie in Markham, Ontario

56 months ago

Dr.Kashin in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi Zubin,
I have an opportunity. When Are you planning to move to Canada?

Dr.K

Hi Dr. Kashin, I too am in the same boat as Zubin. Finished the IOBP and the CSAO. Now, am finding it hard to find a job offer. I'm here on an extended student visa. I'm wondering what I can do? Thanks!

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.