Accredited Programs on the West Coast (Path A)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Shannon Morrella in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs on the West Coast that have plans to or are in the process of seeking accreditation for their Path A program? To my knowledge, the West is currently void of any accredited program. I have lived out here my whole life and wouldn't even know where to start if I was to select a program to apply to. Any recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TOM METZGER in Spokane, Washington

65 months ago

Shannon Morrella in Seattle, Washington said: I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs on the West Coast that have plans to or are in the process of seeking accreditation for their Path A program? To my knowledge, the West is currently void of any accredited program. I have lived out here my whole life and wouldn't even know where to start if I was to select a program to apply to. Any recommendations?

To my knowledge, after speaking at length with a pathologist friend of mine, there are no programs west of Indiana/Michigan, and none south of NC. I am also looking at going to school for this program, and am currently considering Drexel in Phil. PA. Hope this helps somewhat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MandyPR in San Juannull

15 months ago

Hello, I believe that Drexel is now offering their PA program in a campus in Sacramento, CA as of Fall 2013.

Check it out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jglspnay in Sacramento, California

15 months ago

Hi,

I'm part of Drexel's inaugural class here in Sacramento. They decided to start off with just five students and I've never been in such a small class size, so it should be interesting. Orientations are in about two weeks and classes start on May 13, so I'm really excited. Here's my email if any of you want to keep in touch and I'd be happy to give updates about how this program is going :) jglspnay@gmail.com

-Josephine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Char in San Francisco, California

14 months ago

If you don't mind the wait, they're trying to set up the facilities and get accreditation at UCLA... But that might take years though. =P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DX204 in Lynbrook, New York

14 months ago

I'm really glad that I got out of Drexel at the request of the Dean. He saved my career! I learned that I don't need to get ASCP certification, and I'm qualified for working in forensic pathology (a field that doesn't require ASCP). It might pay less, but it's a lot more interesting than what most garden variety PA's do! I'd rather take interest and motivation over salary any day.

You'll find out once you get in the field that there are a LOT of disgruntled PAs out there, and they always have salary on their minds. Either they're not getting paid enough, or they're looking somewhere else to get paid more. The ASCP certification gives you a lot of mobility, and PA's use that fact mostly to see where the grass is greener. Pathetic, in my opinion.

Again, I'm very happy that I'm not a hospital PA anymore, and I'll be applying my knowledge and previous experience to forensics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PathAssist in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

DX204 in Lynbrook, New York said: I'm really glad that I got out of Drexel at the request of the Dean. He saved my career! I learned that I don't need to get ASCP certification, and I'm qualified for working in forensic pathology (a field that doesn't require ASCP). It might pay less, but it's a lot more interesting than what most garden variety PA's do! I'd rather take interest and motivation over salary any day.

You'll find out once you get in the field that there are a LOT of disgruntled PAs out there, and they always have salary on their minds. Either they're not getting paid enough, or they're looking somewhere else to get paid more. The ASCP certification gives you a lot of mobility, and PA's use that fact mostly to see where the grass is greener. Pathetic, in my opinion.

Again, I'm very happy that I'm not a hospital PA anymore, and I'll be applying my knowledge and previous experience to forensics.

We're glad you are gone as well, but by the sound of this message it is likely due to your lack of talent. If you chose forensic tech over PA, my guess is you didn't have what it takes to become a PA in the first place. By the way - if you never went to a PA program, stop referring to yourself as a PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.