How's the job outlook? How's the field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

15 months ago

Thinking about becoming a PA and was wondering if the job outlook is decent. If you are a PA, do you like your job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NLabTech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

I am interested in this is well. I would like to pursue becoming a pathologists' assistant, but I am concerned about the extreme specialization of the degree and whether there is still a good job market. I think it sounds like a really good job, but I would appreciate input from those working in the field :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yellowpens in Portland, Oregon

15 months ago

I was just accepted into PA school and was told by faculty there as well as by a PA I know who is working in the field that the job market is still extremely good. You can get a job pretty much anywhere in the country. Graduates of the school I am going into average 2 job offers before even graduating. It's a growing field and there is a lot of need. Just do a quick google search in your area and you'll find a few job postings for PA's- they are in need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PathAssist in Los Angeles, California

13 months ago

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan said: Thinking about becoming a PA and was wondering if the job outlook is decent. If you are a PA, do you like your job?

It is nonsense to say the job market looks good. It has progressively deteriorated with too many people going to PA programs. In addition, there are programs that accept, and produce inept and ignorant path assistants. The academic institutional greed has taken over, and they are accepting those that should not be accepted. New programs open, many fail. But, there are over 100 students per year being pumped into an already saturated market.

Best advice - if you cannot get into Duke or Quinnipiac, DO NOT GO. You want to be the best, or you will not be able to compete. Do not take on all that debt, and waste all that time for a degree from the likes of Rosalind Franklin. The entire country talks about that school, and not in a good way. Go for the best, or do not go at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MD_PA in Millersville, Maryland

13 months ago

PathAssist in Los Angeles, California said: It is nonsense to say the job market looks good. It has progressively deteriorated with too many people going to PA programs. In addition, there are programs that accept, and produce inept and ignorant path assistants. The academic institutional greed has taken over, and they are accepting those that should not be accepted. New programs open, many fail. But, there are over 100 students per year being pumped into an already saturated market.

Best advice - if you cannot get into Duke or Quinnipiac, DO NOT GO. You want to be the best, or you will not be able to compete. Do not take on all that debt, and waste all that time for a degree from the likes of Rosalind Franklin. The entire country talks about that school, and not in a good way. Go for the best, or do not go at all.

I agree... the market is getting progressively worse. Of the students who just graduated from the program I am in about half had jobs. Part of that is because some of the other half were picky about where they ended up because of spouse's jobs, etc. Also true about a certain school which keeps taking on too many students... it isn't worth it to get your degree from there anymore.

But I have to add University of Maryland to your list, it is one of the better schools. They have a great program with great people (ok maybe I'm biased).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Char in San Francisco, California

13 months ago

Well, obviously if you're looking for work on the East Coast or in big cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles, then it's gonna be difficult..

I totally disagree with this statement: "Best advice - if you cannot get into Duke or Quinnipiac, DO NOT GO. You want to be the best, or you will not be able to compete." That's almost like telling people that they either get into Stanford/Harvard/Yale/UC Berkeley or not get a job at all. Yeah the economy sucks, but what field isn't affected by it? At least the job market for PAs look a bit better than other fields.

And I wouldn't go so far as to diss Rosalind Franklin's program. I've shadowed a few who are currently working at UCLA, and they had graduated from that program within the past 5 years. They know their stuff, they are willing to learn and have great working attitudes, and love the field - they were the ones who inspired me to pursue this field in the first place. Perhaps the ones you know simply had a different learning experience at their clinical rotations sites before getting a job elsewhere - you'd be surprised by how the range of complex cases can change depending on the hospital's patient population.

I definitely wouldn't mind getting my degree from Rosalind Franklin!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.