Prepare for a Personal Assistant interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

masefako jane ramoshai in Pretoria, South Africa

91 months ago

i just want to know what kind of question i am going to found if i have been selected to come ot an interview.

role and skills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

sheila in Ghana

82 months ago

Hi David,

I'm going for an interview as a Personal Assistant and I want to know what kind of questions I could be asked at the interview and how to answer them.

I'll appreciate it if you could reply me asap. The interview is tomorrow 26th Nov. 2008.

Thanks and best regards.

Sheila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (232) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Betty in United Kingdom

42 months ago

I would like to know what kind of questions should I expect on an online test in a retail company.m nervous and I really need the job I have suffered enough.I am writing a test on 23 February 2012

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

David R Twiss Jr in Atlanta, Georgia

42 months ago

Please be aware that you are in the wrong forum. This forum is related to Personal Assistant careers. However, I do have four years of retail experience to include management. With that said, the test will be multiple choice and yes and no questions. You will be asked character questions: Are you a leader or a follower; are you a self starter or do you need direction; have you ever stolen from an employer? Certain psychological questions will be rephrased throughout the test. Example, "Have you stolen from an employer". Rephrased, "Have you ever taken a pen from work".

Be prepared to write an essay as to why you believe you are a good fit for that company and how the company will benefit from your employment with their company.

I hope this is of help to you. If you would like to provide more information or have an in depth conversation please see me on my professional facebook page @ David R Twiss Jr. Best regards and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanu sharma in Delhi, India

38 months ago

I'm going for an interview as a Personal Assistant and I want to know what kind of questions I could be asked at the interview and how to answer them.

I'll appreciate it if you could reply me asap.

Thanks and best regards.
Tanu Sharma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dmokwena in Kimberley, South Africa

38 months ago

David in Troy, New York said: As a Personal Assistant to the President/COO of a national tradw organiziation I can hoestly say there is no given "kind" of question you can expect when interviewing for such a position. Of course there are the standared questions that one will be askes during any interview: how would you consider your organizational skills, are you an effective communicatio...These types of questions are usually and often answered from/by your work experience. However and moreover, you should be prepared to answer questions that concern personal relationships and/or situations that may occur in every day life, again these are typicaly standard questions: when presented with a particualar situation how did you respond. The best and most honest reaponse I can offer you is be prepared for a myriad of questions. Often it is best to find general answers that can fit most situations and/or, from the cuff, be able to tailor a general response to fit the situation/scenario/question. Remember to always be diplomatic, honest, forthright and sincere. The afore mentioned will show through any blunder, incorrect response or shortcomming.

A good habit to form when acting as a Personal Assistant is to never second guess yourself. If you have made the wrong decision, and you will quickly learn if you have, often you will be find praise in responding quickly to any given situation - shortly after discovering you have made the wrong decision. In addition, these situations will only help and enforece the anticipation of your employers needs.

Feel free to contact me w/ any feedback or questions you might have.

Best Regards,
David

Hi David If they ask me, a question like:
Tell about yourself.
weak point and strong point- those are my downfalls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

josephine mapemba in Blantyre, Malawi

37 months ago

Hi David,

I'll appreciate it if you could reply me asap. The interview is on 31st july,2012.

Thanks and best regar

josephine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

David Twiss in Millbrook, Alabama

37 months ago

Shelia, Unfortunately I have just received your inquiry, a bit late; wrong dates?
Are you a professional (business) Personal Assistant, (personal-home based) PA, or…?

If you have had the interview: please make me aware of what occurred; what professional and personal questions were asked, what were your answers, did the interviewer take lead on the interview, or did you? Were there any questions that you had issues with or were taken aback from? Did you have a second or third interview? And, were you offered the position?

If the interview has not occurred: be prepared for anything!! I have had questions like, “Do you shop at Macy’s”, “have you ever had to assist someone in an emergency”, “how do you get along with children”, “if you are ordering a menu for a dinner party and the main course does not show, what do you do”?

So, as you can see, the questions can be off-the-wall.
More than likely you will be asked the standard questions:

*How do you describe yourself?
Be complete, start with you personality related to profession. How does your personality fit the job, are you a type “A” or…? Discuss professional scenarios that you excelled at or went far beyond the call of duty. (I was once asked to review a book to get the authors take on 911. After reading the book and supplying a written account of the material and my thoughts on the author’s positions, I connected, Peter (President & COO) to the author via telephone. Not a big deal, huh? The author was a recluse and had not left his home or had correspondence with anyone expect his wife, who was also is go-to-person for everything).
CONTINUED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Twiss in Millbrook, Alabama

37 months ago

* How do you deal with criticism and how do you offer criticism?

We have all been in situations that have caused a negative critique. You can take this one in two directions, or both: discuss the least of the negative critiques and how you handled it, and if you applied the experience to different situations; you can discuss the most sever of these occurrences, how you handled it, what you learned from it, and were you able to apply the critique to a different scenario. (With this type of question I go for humor by discussing scenarios that are completely ridiculous, don’t be guarded on using humor)

CONTINUED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.