Soon to graduate from college looking for a Pharm. Sales job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Meghann in Whittier, California

75 months ago

I will shortly be graduating from college with a Bachelors in Business Marketing. I really want to be a pharmeceutical sales rep., but dont know where to look to find a company. I am 24 yrs old and have worked in retail for the past 10 1/2 yrs. Does anyone know where I can find a job or something to get my foot in the door. This is my passion. Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

looking in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

I visited the Worktree.com website, found out there was a fee to sign up and left their site. Since then I have received email after email from them offering better deals etc. Do youself a favor and stay away! Scam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Apopka, Florida

70 months ago

Meghann in Whittier, California said: I will shortly be graduating from college with a Bachelors in Business Marketing. I really want to be a pharmeceutical sales rep., but dont know where to look to find a company. I am 24 yrs old and have worked in retail for the past 10 1/2 yrs. Does anyone know where I can find a job or something to get my foot in the door. This is my passion. Please help!!!

You will get a job in pharmaceutical sales if you show the desire to whom you interview. Present yourself as a polished well put together go getter. Create a Brag book of your achievments in life to this point. Anything you can show in leadership, advanced learning, sales skills, awards etc....Pharma reps that get hired show themselves in a proffesional manner. Confidence is key. My recommend would be to start with the lesser know companies as they may have less competition.

Jeff Stahl

create your brag book online with www.bragfolio.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lori in Mobile, Alabama

69 months ago

Meghann in Whittier, California said: I will shortly be graduating from college with a Bachelors in Business Marketing. I really want to be a pharmeceutical sales rep., but dont know where to look to find a company. I am 24 yrs old and have worked in retail for the past 10 1/2 yrs. Does anyone know where I can find a job or something to get my foot in the door. This is my passion. Please help!!!

indeed.com, monster.com, medzilla.com, these are just a few. Check your local newspapers, check for job fairs at your college - talk to your advisor about jobfairs that may be coming and how to talk to employers who are interested in hiring students right out of school. It is very difficult for most people (it took me two years just to start getting interviews!) I have been in the industry for over 5 years and have loved every minute of it. It is a great career however it is not a stable industry - especially now...I was laid off in December and am currently searching for a job now. This is how I came across your message! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

noor zareh in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Hello Meghann: I am looking for people with leadership skills who are ambitious and money motivated and want to make at least $100,000 in the next year, if that describes you email me directly at manifest.goals@gmail.com with your telephone contact information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Urbanbreez in Burbank, California

66 months ago

And herein you find the problem. For every legit job there are 20+ "people" trying to take andvantage of you. Noor Zareh, Peggy Mckee, tiffany in houston...a bunch of scam artists looking to take advantage of fresh college grads looking just looking for career advice. What a shame. Here is your best advice, beware of the shark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

specialk in Woodland Hills, California

66 months ago

Urbanbreez speaks the truth. Do yourself a favor and never consider the "entry level sales/marketing" jobs plastering the internets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Urbanbreez in Burbank, California

66 months ago

Unless you like walking from business-to-business peddling trinkets for commish only… beware. You’ll know when a, "job interview" is more like an invitation to participate in slave labor when interviewer starts his sales pitch instead of asking how exactly you’re qualified for the position. I've been through it, and it blows. Actually, I'm sort of going through it right now, even with 6 years of high end sales and management experience, a B.S.B.A, Real Estate License, not to mention a flat-out charming personality :) Bottom line is that it’s tough out here and only the smart ones with the ability to persevere are going to find the remaining golden opportunities.

Experience has taught me to do research and to not be afraid in asking some tough questions before you commit to an interview. You may think you’re being rude but trust me, if it’s a real company they should understand and even appreciate the fact that you’re not naïve. A good question to ask is: Is this a 1099 or W2 position? 99% of crap jobs are 1099s. There are some good jobs where you can be an Independent Contractor but it’s an indicator if you already have a bad feeling about something. People selling cherries on the side of the road would be 1099 if they had legal residence, keep that in mind.

I made over 100k in each of the past 3 years before my entire division was shut down. In the past two months, I’ve been posting my resume and writing customized cover letters on CB, Monster and several other sites. 90% of call backs I get are from some hair-brained scheme-artist D-bag wanting to “churn and burn” you. Either that or Aflac. Aflac has up to three reps a day calling me. If it was a good job, do you think they’d harass me not unlike some IRS agent wanting to collect a delinquent tax or something? These sales professionals don’t understand the concept of a "Bum’s Rush" and how desperation is a big turn off. It's like they never met a pretty girl in a bar before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Nazer in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

Urbanbreez,

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marva in Stevinson, California

41 months ago

WOW!! All these comments have me a little freaked out. I would like to be a pharma sales rep as well and am currently in my last semester of college. I fear that no one will take a look at me because I have no sales experience besides being a waitress for the passed 7 years. Well as difficult as it might seem you have got to try right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy Kay in Canton, Ohio

30 months ago

looking in Cleveland, Ohio said: I visited the Worktree.com website, found out there was a fee to sign up and left their site. Since then I have received email after email from them offering better deals etc. Do youself a favor and stay away! Scam!

Since I live in the NEO area myself, I was wondering if you had found any success yet? If so, what is your secret? Thanks for sharing. I am now wondering if there was no fee connected with the site for a specific part of the country and you just lucked out and found that they charge for this service since Ohio is not a normal place for someone to find a job as we are in the rust belt...just a thought...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

marva in Stevinson, California said: WOW!! All these comments have me a little freaked out. I would like to be a pharma sales rep as well and am currently in my last semester of college . I fear that no one will take a look at me because I have no sales experience besides being a waitress for the passed 7 years. Well as difficult as it might seem you have got to try right.

Well, you are right, if you don't try, how will you know? Sales is not a tough area to break into, because it does not attract the number of folks that other places in the workforce do, but proceed with caution. When I was a recent college grad, I got my first job from applying with our on campus placement office. Maybe you can do the same? If not, remember if you contact a company that you are not familiar with, you can always check them out with your local BBB. All you need to have when contacting the BBB is the city and state where the organization is centrally located. Also, your local chamber of commerce may also help you to find out if a company is reputable or not. Good luck!

30 months ago

Urbanbreeze, from California, thanks for your two cents. Made perfect sense to me. You should be a consultant of some type for those who want to make it in the field of sales people who get a w-2 and not a 1099.

Sounds like you have been around the block.

Since your post here, have you found any luck? Can you share any more secrets?

30 months ago

Urbanbreez in Burbank, California said: And herein you find the problem. For every legit job there are 20+ "people" trying to take andvantage of you. Noor Zareh, Peggy Mckee, tiffany in houston...a bunch of scam artists looking to take advantage of fresh college grads looking just looking for career advice. What a shame. Here is your best advice, beware of the shark.

Currently, Peggy Mc Kee is on LinkedIn and making a sales pitch to those in need of work, like me. However, I am not just fresh out of college, anymore. So, if you are running into her name during your job search, beware of what she says. Good luck.

30 months ago

Tiffany in Houston, Texas said: Hey.. first of all congratulations on your your achievement! My husband just moved to the Bay area for a great job opportunity.. He found it on a website www.worktree.com They have a fantastic job search engine that allowed him to narrow the field by state and helped find him his job! If I recall correctly they had a section for college graduates.. you should def check it out..I just signed up myself.. hope this helps & good luck! Tiffany

Tiffany in Houston made her/this comment 42 months ago. It might have been a free site at the time (worktree), but you may have to pay now. Whenever looking at replies to these kinds of comments sites, keep in mind that the info might be outdated, it not current. One day it might be free to join, and the next day, it might be a different story, and free is no longer an option. Be careful and read the fine print or you may be sorry.

Texasmedseller in Irving, Texas

26 months ago

marva in Stevinson, California said: WOW!! All these comments have me a little freaked out. I would like to be a pharma sales rep as well and am currently in my last semester of college . I fear that no one will take a look at me because I have no sales experience besides being a waitress for the passed 7 years. Well as difficult as it might seem you have got to try right.

You can try all you want. And you might get lucky. But come on guys. Shoot these girls and guys straight. You have to have b2b sales experience with high rankings and accomplishments before you even have a shot at pharma or med sales. People think because they are a "people person" or motivated they should get interviews and jobs in this coveted industry. Wrong. You need to prove you can sell before you are going to get an amazing $100k job with company car. So many people are dying to get into pharma or med sales and they don't know anything about it and going up against many tenured reps right now. Go get some experience and develop a brag book and make some connections. Then you might have a chance. Anyone who gets in without experience knew someone. And real estate, cars, mortgages or any other consumer sales are not going to get you in. You need b2b. I worked my butt off for 5 years of sales before I could get interviews and break into med sales. It's not easy and most don't have the perseverance to stick out to break in

Jgporter in Traverse City, Michigan

25 months ago

I have 4 semesters left before I graduate with my bachelors in Business Administration with a Marketing focus. I have been in relationship/referral based sales -that with strong and documentable achievements for the most recent 10 years. Do I have a hope at entering either the Pharmaceutical Sales or Medical Sales industry while still in school?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.