Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 853)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

holmes in River Grove, Illinois

54 months ago

Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (264) / No (615) Reply - Report abuse

dojiang in New York, New York

47 months ago

Hey out there,

Just wondering, does anyone know how tight the pharmacist labor market is in CA, particularly SF Bay area? I'm wondering how hi or low I should set my expectations. Any information would be helpful; thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in absecon, New Jersey

45 months ago

You cannot get a job in pharmacy unless you have a pharmd and clinical experience.I really want to get into the federal govnt working short term gigs but I cannot seem to it is worse than finding a retail job in NJ.The only way to get these Federal jobs is go through an agency and that is the pits.The agency never calls back and once they hear you have no experience they drop you like a hot potatoe.If someone knows how to get a travelling Federal job please tell me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Prophet of Truth in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

The market is getting very tight in a lot of places. In Philadelphia, a pharmacist position will be virtually impossible to get unless you happen to have some great experience in a particular specialty and such a job happens to open up. Pharmacy chains are offering new graduates per diem positions rather than full time jobs. I see a dark, dismal future for pharmacy graduates for many years to come.

The pharmacy schools will tell you virtually anything to get tuition money, asking them is like asking a car salesman whether or not you should buy a new car or fix your old one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lk0802 in Collingswood, New Jersey

44 months ago

James H in Tualatin, Oregon said: I am a little surprised at the negativity. My girlfriend just graduated pharmacy school here in Oregon a week ago. She is 30 years old and did not even have to look for a job. She was given job offers while doing her rotations. In the end she accepted a job offer starting her above 6 figures and a $5000 signing bonus. I can tell you that in the city the jobs are more competitive to get but the rural pharmacies (at least in Oregon) have plenty of job openings.

If your willing to move youll find something somewhere. Anything near the city (USP, Temple, Rutgers and now Jefferson)....the whole state of PA is basically a no go...and same with jersey.

I got 2 job offers in PA from my rotations...but as far as someone who has recently closed an independent..or someone trying to switch jobs....you better know someone! Because theres nothing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

pharmDcandidate in bethlehem, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: NO I DON'T LIVE IN MINNESOTA,
I LIVE IN PENNSYLVANIA

Dont open your own store...youll regret it and be out tons of money (trust me..from family experience). Put up with whatever is currently going on at your job...and just keep applying to whatever few positions you find in ur area until you get lucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

pharmDcandidate in bethlehem, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

John in Lake Zurich, Illinois said: What do you guys think the job outlook for pharmacists will be like in 2016?

great if your from illinois...dont move to a city just like everyone else has stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe in Angola, New York

44 months ago

Hey Guys,
I just left my P1 year at a top five rated pharmacy school. I've been working in both retail and hospital settings for 3 years, and have definately seen the trends. The last thing I wanted to to was leave school, but I seen where this profession is headed, and I wanted to get out while I can. This is all I'll say....
Year:
2000- 82 pharmacy schools
2005-92 pharmacy schools
2010-130 pharmacy schools
I believe 10-15 new programs are trying to open within the next 3 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

JohnDoe in Angola, New York said: Hey Guys,
I just left my P1 year at a top five rated pharmacy school. I've been working in both retail and hospital settings for 3 years, and have definately seen the trends. The last thing I wanted to to was leave school, but I seen where this profession is headed, and I wanted to get out while I can. This is all I'll say....
Year:
2000- 82 pharmacy schools
2005-92 pharmacy schools
2010-130 pharmacy schools
I believe 10-15 new programs are trying to open within the next 3 years

A sucker is born every day! Happy pill counting!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I graduated and now am in the highest tax bracket..not many jobs can say that...

KEEP OPENING MORE SCHOOLS!!! THE INTEREST IS THERE..

My job is stressfull, but thats why I make 100k+...

These people are a bunch of liars, stick with pharmacy its a great profession and 100k salary upon graduation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (220) Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe in Angola, New York

44 months ago

I seen your other post you started TonyB about how pharmacy is exploding, and you welcome new schools to open up as much as they want....It's quite obvious you are neither a pharmacist or pharmacy student. You probably are that one person who keeps accusing us of being "a bunch of liars", and you just started a fake name. Considering you are saying the exact same thing the other screen name was..."bunch of liars"....Why in the world would I want to keep everyone away from pharmacy? I would be happy if everyone in the world was a pharmacist, and makes great money...The simple fact that you welcome new schools opening just shows you are a fake. Do you not remember that little thing called supply and demand? So, stop making up fake names and do some homework. Us people like myself who are were in pharmacy school, and know a hell of alot more about the field than you are only trying to help...If you still want to become a pharmacist and take your chances, I wish you the best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

samtheitalian in Rowlett, Texas

43 months ago

I have been in pharmacy over 35 years and have seen many trends. The trend I see now in two fold, first the number of "baby boomers" that has fueled the profession are beginning to dwindle, second the number of graduates is increasing tremendously.
In 2 to 6 years there will be a surplus and you will see wages drop and the treatment of pharmacist go down hill.
I, myself had to take a 10 percent cut in pay last year and a reduction in hours.
At the moment the situation is static but soon will change for the worse. The only thing we have is our demand and that is going away fast. When demand leaves the money hungry chains will increase work load and decrease help and wages. We will have NOTHING to negotiate with at all.
IT IS COMING!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (144) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

The future is stacked against the working pharmacist. A flood of new American graduates, foreign graduates, economic pressures on hospitals, registration of technicians, not to mention powerful new software, all will reduce the need for pharmacists. The aging population, and the increase of new medications are touted as producing a need, but mail order and increased computer capability will keep the demand in check. Pharmacy has never been able to break out of its shell and separate its knowledge base from the product. How can pharmacy demand respect when in most states they are the biggest distributors of cigarettes? The field has never even developed enough spine to relegate cigarette sales to supermarkets and convenience stores. And pharmacists can talk about "new" opportunities! They can't even separate themselves from crude vendors! What do the "high minded" pharmacy schools say about that!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Let us here academics debate the future of pharmacy with current practicing pharmacists! They will not do it. They know best, and older pharmacists know nothing! If there is a field where experience counts for almost nothing, it is Pharmacy!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Wallingford, Connecticut

42 months ago

I am a Pre-pharm student set to graduate in 2016. Should I get out while I can? Where can I go???

I would like some advice from working pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Nashville, Tennessee

42 months ago

Worried in Wallingford, Connecticut said: I am a Pre-pharm student set to graduate in 2016. Should I get out while I can? Where can I go???

I would like some advice from working pharmacists.

The job market is very bad, I'm not going to lie. It is very bad in Nashville where I live. With the economy and new schools opening up there is no telling what will happen. If the economy goes back to the way it was maybe there is still hope. I would go into nursing.After getting your BSN, you can always go back and do grad school to get your Master's. BSN+Master's=4 years, same amount of time you would spend in pharmacy school and most likely less amount of money also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

chancery in Atlanta, Georgia

42 months ago

please get out before you waste money. I have been in it 30 yrs and wish every day that I Had done something else,Go to med school or pa school. There is just no more demand for the number of degrees being turned out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

please get out before you waste money. I have been in it 30 yrs and wish every day that I Had done something else,Go to med school or pa school. There is just no more demand for the number of degrees being turned out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dorsey in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

42 months ago

chancery in Atlanta, Georgia said: please get out before you waste money. I have been in it 30 yrs and wish every day that I Had done something else,Go to med school or pa school. There is just no more demand for the number of degrees being turned out.

Have you worked in retail your entire career as a pharmacist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

932 in Media, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

It all depends on where you are from. If you are trying to get a job in an area that has 4 pharmacy schools in ti then you have problems.
That is my problem. I am a retail pharmacist that can't get a job and yes the money is great when you can find a job but when you have to depend on unemployment then you also have problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Nashville, Tennessee

42 months ago

Here is AACP's email. If they get enough emails and concerns from pharmacists maybe something will happen. mail@aacp.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Nashville, Tennessee

42 months ago

heres another info@acpe-accredit.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nottoodistantpast in Poway, California

42 months ago

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'VE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS,I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE CALL EVEN FOR AN INTERVIEW
I'M PHARM.D, 5 YEARS RETAIL EXPERIENCE, NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE, LICENSED IN 2 STATES, MA AND PA
NOW, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO START THINKING ABOUT OPENING MY OWN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY COZ I'LL GET LAID OFF IN LESS THAN A MONTH, I KNOW, IT'S GONNA BE BAD FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE BEING A WOMAN AND WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK LIKE THAT, BUT WHAT I CAN DO ?
MARRY A RICH HUSBAND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL ?? LOL...

I am sorry to hear about the challenges of finding a job- I went per diem 2 years ago first after a back injury and then to start a family-now I'm back in the market looking for a job- I am thinking the same thing of opening up my own independent pharmacy after searching for months- in fact, there are pharmacies on sale/discounted prices right now due to the economy. I'm floating through a few independents now- it's hard-keeping afloat-constant competition- we just lost another nursing home contract to the pharmacy down the street (heard they were offering free diapers). Keep your chin up! You will find your niche!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dkfeelgood in Jacksonville, Florida

41 months ago

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas said: I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I graduated and now am in the highest tax bracket..not many jobs can say that...

These people are a bunch of liars, stick with pharmacy its a great profession and 100k salary upon graduation!

looking for work recovering pharmacist from ga will work as pharm tech kan u help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

reaching for the stars

41 months ago

CALLING ALL PHARMACIST: I am currently studying pharmacy technology. Upon graduating, I would like to go on and strive to become a pharmacist. I've done research, however, I need a clear understanding of which road I should take, after recieving my associates, to becoming a pharmacist. I am confused. I know that I should know this type of information. I have a 6 year old son, I recently entered college 1 year ago (to date) at the age of 21. I know that I can do it!..but I need a little guidance. Please inform me!!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Scrapula in Ocala, Florida

41 months ago

reaching for the stars said: CALLING ALL PHARMACIST: I am currently studying pharmacy technology. Upon graduating, I would like to go on and strive to become a pharmacist. I've done research, however, I need a clear understanding of which road I should take, after recieving my associates, to becoming a pharmacist. I am confused. I know that I should know this type of information. I have a 6 year old son, I recently entered college 1 year ago (to date) at the age of 21. I know that I can do it!..but I need a little guidance. Please inform me!!! Thanks

You need to take your prerequisites first - General Chemistry I & II with labs, Organic Chemistry I & II with labs, Physics I & II with labs, Biology I & II with labs, Calculus I (some schools Calculus II), Anatomy & Physiology I & II. Then take the PCAT and try for pharmacy school. Many of my classmates had young kids in pharmacy school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

As a recruiter for Pharmacist and Physicians, I have seen the best years of recruiting and these are definitely the worst. Too many hospitals have closed down and too many schools have opened up. I used to tell everyone to send there kids to pharmacy school, but I never expected the conditions that we are experiencing right now. There are many students who are graduating with $150K worth of debt and they are having trouble finding a job. Hospital used to hire retail experienced pharmacists and train them and now they are requiring hospital experienced pharmacists for their positions.

If you are in school, I strongly recommend that you stay an additional year or 2 and get you PGY1 and if possible PGY2 residencies. These are what you need to get the edge. There are jobs in pharmacy, but competition is ferocious for those with a standard PharmD. Everyone who graduates now has the same degree and there are a lot of them. If you enjoy hospital pharmacy work and you want to stand out and be guaranteed a job...stay in school and complete a Residency.

The problem is that retail pharmacies are not growing like the used to and many have reduced their hiring. As a result, less jobs are being fought over by a much larger group of pharmacists. 4 or 5 years ago, students would graduate with multiple offers in hand because retail was competing to get the pharmacist from hospitals. Now with less hiring from retail facilities, less competition, more schools and more students graduating, the market is oversaturated. Hospitals tell me (jokingly) that they have so many applicants waiting in line for positions that they can give me some of their people.

visit my website at AmherstHealthcare.com or if you are a licensed pharmacist with Clinical Pharmacist experience, email me at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in New York, New York

41 months ago

To all those considering pharmacy I would take a page from my book and go in another direction. I love the profession but I spent $150k on school (mba too but never finished, now too much debt to go back so it's like $200k now) and when I graduated I could have gone anywhere, but foolishly I took a risky sales job. I just didn't want to tech anymore and I had no business experience! $8000 sign on from cvs, wegmans, walgreen's they were all interested but I made up my mind and was confident after being told the pharmacist shortage lie by all my teachers. Now I have been exhausting every avenue imaginable, begging old teachers for phone #'s, calling old friends/classmates - if I fill out another on Taleo I will go cross-eyed. My point is, is that this will NEVER get better because schools won't close or shrink soon enough, salaries will drop to a joke as technology streamlines dispensing, and what's worse - is that a foreign grad will 9 times out of 10 agree to work for less (no offense to anyone but when every pharmacist in my town has a heavy accent I question the "we're churning out too many pharmacists" theory). Anyways, I am lost and after reading this have very little hope for myself. I guess I will ride out unemployment for awhile and am getting licensed in NY, but again I'm sure it's not much better! My hope is that pre-pharm students make the easy switch at most schools to pre-med, engineering, phys assistant, hell I'd rather be in social work than $200k in debt with no hope of ever paying it off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I agree with Dave. If you insist on pursuing an education that will leave you in that much debt, I recommend Med School. There are a tremendous amount of jobs available in that area. Do some research and choose a specialty that you enjoy. Check out FindPhysicianJobs.net The jobs are not up to date, but there are a ton of them available and you have much more potential to make a lot more money, not to mention loan repayment programs, etc. Just make sure that you aren't choosing the easiest area that everyone else is trying to get into.

Pharmacy is a 6 year program, it isn't that much more to go to Med School. I also recruit for physician assistants and there is a lot of demand in that area. Nurse Practitioner is another area that you may want to consider as the shortage in that area is very high and the salaries are amazing. Nursing as a whole is an area I recommend as I am told my employers that there is a high shortage in that profession as a whole. If you choose nursing, I recommend staying in school and getting your MSN. There are many more opportunities that will become available if you get your Masters in Nursing. Visit FindNursingJobsOnline.com for more information.

I am overwhelmed about the number of jobs available in Physical Therapy. Especially jobs for Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists. Check out AllTherapistJobs.com to get more information on this.

The bottom line is there are jobs in healthcare, just not in pharmacy. If you are already in Pharmacy School and about to graduate, apply to a Residency program and get a PGY1 or go for 2 years and get a PGY2. If you have a PGY1 or PGY2 Residency or are a hosptal pharmacy manager or director of pharmacy with strong hospital experience visit AmherstHealthcare.com or email me at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I honestly don't think that Gina is a pharmacist. The comments made by Gina are not indicative of someone who went to college for 6 years. If the majority of pharmacists and pharmacy recruiters know that there are too many pharmacists and not enough jobs, and 1 "pharmacist" keeps posting the same comment trying to convince people to keep enrolling in pharmacy school, it makes me wonder if this person is actually a pharmacist. I think that this person is from a Pharmacy School and they know that the job market is not looking too good for pharmacists. They know that people are going to stop enrolling in pharmacy school, so they are posting comments on job sites to try to convince people to continue enrolling in pharmacy school.

Anyone who is actually in the pharmacy industry knows that there are too many pharmacists and not enough jobs. I spoke with the Board of Pharmacy in one of the states and they told me that conditions for pharmacists are bad all over the country. Don't believe 1 person who claims to be a pharmacist. Like I've said before stay in school and complete a Residency or consider Medical School or possibly Therapy, where there are tons of openings and not enough people for those openings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marco A. in Miami, Florida

40 months ago

There is some truth and exageration in what is being said. I graduated in 2009 and had four job offers upon graduation: two hospital, two retail. I was willing to relocate and I had BS with 7 years professional health care experience. The bottom line is if you have an edge, whether it be another degree, BCPS, or a PGY1/2 and you are flexible.....you CAN find full time pharmacist jobs. I ended up going with one of the hospital job offers. It was a trauma center 60 miles north of Miami. Not the best location in terms of what I was used to but with that experience and my subsequent willingness to work the midnight shift, this year I had TWO hospitals in Miami offering me positions. I was able to use this to my advantage to bargain for an hourly salary that probably exceeds most of you guys in retail. After accepting the position I heard of two other night shift positions open up at neighboring hospitals

The glut is indeed coming but the ones who will suffer are those who went can't keep themselves comeptitive

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

40 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

So what about for people who are changing careers or are older than your typical 20 something grad?? Can they compete with the average 22 year old?? I always ask this because that seems to be the answer to any unemployment problem --- 'Go back to school and train in an 'in demand' program'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Marco makes a great point. I should stress that all of my advice has been geared to pharmacists who are interested in working in some type of Clinical setting, most obviously hospital pharmacy. There are jobs in pharmacy, but there are a lot of pharmacists competing for those same jobs. Take New York for example, I believe that approximately 5 or more hospitals have closed within the last 3 years. With all of the new students graduating and retail consolidating and not hiring as much as they used to in the past, you have the highest amount of competition for open positions. Even states like Alaska, which 4 or 5 years ago, were hurting for pharmacists are doing quite well these days. Many states have been affected by multiple hospital closures, so those are only 2 examples. I understand that things are pretty tough in New Jersey and a host of other states as well.

I would strongly recommend that all of you, who are now working as pharmacists in retail, make sure that you consider working Per Diem in a hospital. That way, when you get sick and tired of standing all day long in retail, and are looking for a change of environment, you will actually have a shot at a hospital position. I get way too many calls from pharmacists with only retail experience, looking to be trained in a hospital. That just isn’t going to happen, at least not in any metropolitan area.

Oh, I almost forgot, I’ve got an amazing Clinical position in Maryland. The preference would be for a DOP or someone with strong hospital pharmacy management as well as Committee experience or some type of Advisory Panel. I need strong Patient Safety Experience and Medication Labeling. This is such a great position that if I were a pharmacist, I’d be all over it. If anyone knows someone who is qualified and looking, have them contact me via my email at iinokon@amhersthealthcare.com

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Lynn is exactly correct. The reason that the medical profession remains strong is due to the difficulty of the admission process and the low number of medical schools. The reason that physician recruiting has been so lucrative, even in this economy is due to that fact that the medical board understands the economics of supply and demand. If you flood the market with medical schools and physicians, competition will increase and demand will drop and it will make it more difficult for those already practicing. This is simple economics! Apparently, those making the decisions to allow too many schools to open for Pharmacists, didn't take economics.

Unless something happens to grow the demand for pharmacists, possibly retail establishments beginning to expand and hire more pharmacists, or an expansion in other areas, we are in for a long stretch of difficulty in the field of pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

40 months ago

Ivory tower academics are aligned with pharmaceutics. They truly believe that dispensing drugs in a drug store requires a PharmD. They are part of the reason pharmacy could not break into the roles that NP's and PA's hold now. Pharmacy should have demanded to become a real profession with the right to diagnose and prescribe.

Instead, pharmacy leaders shrank back from the angry posturing of medicine. Pharmacy kindly gave up the only true professional responsibility related to pharmacotherapy. You cannot be good at drug therapy unless you practice drug therapy. Dispensing drugs has almost nothing to do with pharmacology. That is why experience means nothing in pharmacy. Even in hospitals, pharmacists spend most of their time doing nursing secretarial work by "verifying" and processing orders.

I see that a few pharmacy schools have blended a PA program with their PharmD. This is the only sensible future for pharmacy.

Maybe it is time to shake up pharmacy's house of cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana

40 months ago

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas said: I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I am moving to Tx next yr to attend the Texas Tech school of Pharmacy. I just graduated with a business degree and will be hired at Walgreens as a manager (great idea, automatic job once I become a pharmacist) Dallas seems to be where it's at there are nothing but jobs in just about any field. I believe it's all in where you go. From these comments...the East Coast isnt the place to be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

You are not wise to go into pharmacy. It is overcrowded and retail will burn you out fast. Go on the med school where there will always be a position for you and you will have some respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I am moving to Tx next yr to attend the Texas Tech school of Pharmacy. I just graduated with a business degree and will be hired at Walgreens as a manager (great idea, automatic job once I become a pharmacist) Dallas seems to be where it's at there are nothing but jobs in just about any field. I believe it's all in where you go. From these comments...the East Coast isnt the place to be

Will you have to 'explain' you move to TX?? I hear that parts of the south & TX aren't that welcoming toward those from the east especially the northeast. Besides how do you explaining moving somewhere without a job lined up??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

If you lived in New Orleans, you would understand why I would want to move. You think the East is bad??? If you do not know a crooked politician you are not making any real money out here! Our governor cut so many programs that most college students have to leave the state to get an education. I am also a Certified Nursing Assistant and even that occupation gets screwed over down here. I dont have a decent job here but I do have a better chance in Dallas because their economy is growing FAST! Every student I know that graduated and left New Orleans and headed to some part of TX, ND, SD and CO have found great paying jobs. My cousin picked up and left with the shirt on his back and moved to TX and found a job in a week! Some places are just better than others. I work in retail now, and the job where I am now pays $3 less than Dallas! The exact same position!Retail isn't what bothers me, if I can get through a clothing store folding stuff consistently over and over, dealing with nasty attitudes, working 20< hrs/wk trying to scrape pennies to pay bills...im more than sure I can do it for 100k doing less

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Nick if you think TX isnt welcoming to the East coast try moving there from NEW ORLEANS...dont worry about what you think people will feel. Do what you have to do and make it. Ive been apart of the working poor for a while, my family has always been in it. 1 thing I do know is survival and when you need to survive no one's opinions matter. I am a first generation high school and college graduate and i am breaking that cycle of poverty. The Pharmacy market may be bad in a lot of places, but I am going to make it and make sure I am smart about my money and make sure I prepare for another recession just like I prepare for hurricane season

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana said: If you lived in New Orleans, you would understand why I would want to move. You think the East is bad??? If you do not know a crooked politician you are not making any real money out here! Our governor cut so many programs that most college students have to leave the state to get an education. I am also a Certified Nursing Assistant and even that occupation gets screwed over down here. I dont have a decent job here but I do have a better chance in Dallas because their economy is growing FAST! Every student I know that graduated and left New Orleans and headed to some part of TX, ND, SD and CO have found great paying jobs. My cousin picked up and left with the shirt on his back and moved to TX and found a job in a week! Some places are just better than others. I work in retail now, and the job where I am now pays $3 less than Dallas! The exact same position!Retail isn't what bothers me, if I can get through a clothing store folding stuff consistently over and over, dealing with nasty attitudes, working 20< hrs/wk trying to scrape pennies to pay bills...im more than sure I can do it for 100k doing less

Really?? Did he not have a job lined up first?? In many parts of the northeast that is considered very odd since people think there is something wrong with you if you aren't employed especially in a state like Massachusetts where the number of open Pharmacist & RN jobs exceed the number of candidates by a 2 to 1 margin (according to the Boston Globe).
I can't imagine however those in Texas being hospitable to those from the north or the northeast. Maybe in Austin which is really a mini San Francisco but the cost of living there is outrageous (rents are as high as they are in the NYC area)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Really?? Did he not have a job lined up first?? In many parts of the northeast that is considered very odd since people think there is something wrong with you if you aren't employed especially in a state like Massachusetts where the number of open Pharmacist & RN jobs exceed the number of candidates by a 2 to 1 margin (according to the Boston Globe).
I can't imagine however those in Texas being hospitable to those from the north or the northeast. Maybe in Austin which is really a mini San Francisco but the cost of living there is outrageous (rents are as high as they are in the NYC area)

My bf lived in Dallas before he moved back home to New Orleans and he paid less in Dallas than I do in New Orleans. Don't believe everything you hear or read. You've got to get out there yourself! I like to read forums and research to get different opinions but when it comes to making a decision I hit the pavement myself. Not having a job lined up isnt going to be the problem. I am going to be starting at Walgreens (like I said you gotta know someone to get on out here and I knew 2 ppl) The manager knows my intentions of moving next year and the Walgreens & CVS in Dallas are constantly looking for people. I dont like the hospital settings so Walgreens it will be. Because I am also a Business major I do plan on going with my dream and opening my own business in a different profession. People talk about people growing up in the hood, but if you ever sat down and listened you would know that their common sense levels are very high, much higher than most people with book sense. One thing I have learned about the people in low income areas is to never have all of your money coming from one direction. This is where a lot of people fall short. You always have to have a side hustle/job/whatever you want to call it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRPh. in Harvest, Alabama

39 months ago

Google : Labor Will Be Less of a Drag on Drugstores
article in barrons

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacydownthedrain in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

I am not sure opening an independent is the answer. I tried it and found that the reimbursement from these insurance companies was very low in my opinion. It is said that it costs 10 dollars to fill a prescription for the pharmacy, I was making an average of $5 per prescription on insurance in my new pharmacy and had friends in the business longer agreeing with me. So save your money and look into some other business in my opinion.

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'VE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS,I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE CALL EVEN FOR AN INTERVIEW
I'M PHARM.D, 5 YEARS RETAIL EXPERIENCE, NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE, LICENSED IN 2 STATES, MA AND PA
NOW, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO START THINKING ABOUT OPENING MY OWN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY COZ I'LL GET LAID OFF IN LESS THAN A MONTH, I KNOW, IT'S GONNA BE BAD FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE BEING A WOMAN AND WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK LIKE THAT, BUT WHAT I CAN DO ?
MARRY A RICH HUSBAND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL ?? LOL...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Isabelle in South Ozone Park, New York

39 months ago

Hey guys, I'm going to be a Highschool Junior so I have to start looking at Colleges (...fun). I was actually googling to find any programs for Highschool students who want to pursue a career in Pharmacy where I came upon this forum. I read through most of the posts (except for maybe the last few) and can't believe how bad the Pharmacy field is doing. I've looked at Pharmacy colleges and have noticed that there are a lot (one in particular I'm interested in), and have read on most of their sites how in the following years the demand for pharmacists will increase.

Quote from one of the sites:
"Well-trained pharmacists are always in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for pharmacists will rise 17 percent by 2018. This growth is fueled by the increasing use of prescription drugs by an aging population; scientific advances leading to the introduction of new drugs; and pharmacists' growing involvement in patient care."

Now after reading your posts I'm wondering is this just something to try to get students in? I would really love to become a pharmacist; however, after reading this I'm not sure now . I'm not saying I'm going to give it up, I'll definitely research further and look at other forums (I still have time before making a decision). If I was to pursue becoming a pharmacist what would you recommend (Like degrees, etc.)? Or do you think I should start researching pre-med (Either way I definitely want to go into medicine, if not pharmacy I would probably go into cardiology)?

Thanks for your time ( sorry for the really long post =/ ).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ugh in Tujunga, California

39 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Do you mean the average 20 something with no experience that employers are tripping over themselves to hire or a career changer who may have a degree in 'something else' but may want to change careers but realizes at the end he can't even buy an interview due to being 'overqualified' or having bad credit or some other 'issue' but these 20 something kids get a menu of job offers because they are easy to train, nice to look at, sleep with anyone on or off the job and don't have any baggage

No one likes career changers. No one has time to deal with career changers in this economy. That was fine 10 years ago when there were plentiful of jobs, but when there are no jobs, why would an employer pick a career changer over someone much younger whose first pick was pharmacy? Sorry, that's the truth. I worked as a recruiter before and I know this. If I have one job available and 100 applicants, I'm probably going to pick the cheaper candidate, who's unmarried/no kids (therefore more able to commit to the job), much younger than me (so I can control easier), and someone fresh out of school and eager to work, and someone who can put years of work in. Someone who's 40+ has worked, thinks they know everything (even though they are new to the field), are difficult to train, reluctant to learn technology, ask for more money, and have a million restrictions regarding their schedule because of their family. Compare that to a 25 year old single person living on their own who is able to concentrate 150% on their career. Sorry, it's the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

amyjacobs in Naperville, Illinois

39 months ago

My advise to those contemplating going into pharmacy now is this, DON'T, GO AND STUDY MEDICINE".You are as intelligent as a med student, why go into an ill-defined and unrespected profession with bleak job prospects and huge loans. I have been a pharmacist for 22 years so I know what I am talking about. Do not listen to paid agents of ACPE and Schools of Pharmacy, they are out of touch and are churning off fake statistics on the labor market. I relocated with my husband about a year ago, and i have a job with a 3 hour commute daily and i have been searching. I am licensed in the state I relocated to plus a neighbouring state but the market is not looking pretty right now. Its about supply and demand. I even have an MBA which one day I am hoping will help but no luck yet.
When I got into college, i could have been anything because i had a gpa of about 4.0 but i made a decision to go into pharmacy. that is something i always wish i could undo as all my friends who studied medicine don't have all these issues. My main goal now is to advise my teenage children to avoid making career mistakes. I must confess though that the job prospects were not like this until 3 years ago or thereabout. I even wanted to work 3 months in alaska as i had a friend who took home 20k after tax and worked just 4 months in alaska up till 2009. She gave me the no. to call but ALASKA is full.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

disappointed R.Ph. in Spring, Texas

39 months ago

Sara in Nashville, Tennessee said: CALLING ALL PHARMACISTS OUT THERE!!!! WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER AND SAVE OUR PROFESSION!!!!!
New schools opening up are saturating the profession,lowering standards, and producing incompetent pharmacists!!! Let's all do something about it!

I am with you Sara in Nashville, but what can we do? I am a pharmacist in the Houston, Texas area, and believe me, it scares me to see how the profession is going down hill. I have worked in both retail for the Walgreens and CVSs of the that world, and various hospitals of the Texas area. Employers treat pharmacists like we are a dime-a-dozen. We are disrepected by nurses, doctors, and even other fellow PHARMACISTS (those who are the Directors of Pharmacy and DM's of Pharmacy)!!! Do you think forming a Union would help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kari in Sandy, Utah

39 months ago

The pharmacist job market IS getting worse....myself and 3 other pharmacists were just laid off from a long-term care pharmacy, where the market is supposed to be GROWING with oncoming baby-boomers in 10 years. It has been 8 weeks since I was laid-off and I still don't have a job on the horizon. Too many people applying for too few jobs in this State. Just curious....how is it in other states? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lore2400 in Mooresville, North Carolina

39 months ago

For Amherst Healthcare or anyone else, is there a program to fast track to NP (or RN or mastor's for admin.) or PA? I have a B.S. in Biology and PharmD, both from very good schools. I've posted on another forum and have been without work (pharmacist) for quite a while now. It's nearly impossible to keep up your skills and knowledge, and now I don't want to go back into a profession where my confidence level is down and we're disrespected. I would honestly be happier in a different field. I started off in undergrad as a nursing major, with the goal of being an NP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.