Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 878)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

holmes in River Grove, Illinois

56 months ago

Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (271) / No (630) Reply - Report abuse

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I graduated and now am in the highest tax bracket..not many jobs can say that...

KEEP OPENING MORE SCHOOLS!!! THE INTEREST IS THERE..

My job is stressfull, but thats why I make 100k+...

These people are a bunch of liars, stick with pharmacy its a great profession and 100k salary upon graduation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (227) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

Marco makes a great point. I should stress that all of my advice has been geared to pharmacists who are interested in working in some type of Clinical setting, most obviously hospital pharmacy. There are jobs in pharmacy, but there are a lot of pharmacists competing for those same jobs. Take New York for example, I believe that approximately 5 or more hospitals have closed within the last 3 years. With all of the new students graduating and retail consolidating and not hiring as much as they used to in the past, you have the highest amount of competition for open positions. Even states like Alaska, which 4 or 5 years ago, were hurting for pharmacists are doing quite well these days. Many states have been affected by multiple hospital closures, so those are only 2 examples. I understand that things are pretty tough in New Jersey and a host of other states as well.

I would strongly recommend that all of you, who are now working as pharmacists in retail, make sure that you consider working Per Diem in a hospital. That way, when you get sick and tired of standing all day long in retail, and are looking for a change of environment, you will actually have a shot at a hospital position. I get way too many calls from pharmacists with only retail experience, looking to be trained in a hospital. That just isn’t going to happen, at least not in any metropolitan area.

Oh, I almost forgot, I’ve got an amazing Clinical position in Maryland. The preference would be for a DOP or someone with strong hospital pharmacy management as well as Committee experience or some type of Advisory Panel. I need strong Patient Safety Experience and Medication Labeling. This is such a great position that if I were a pharmacist, I’d be all over it. If anyone knows someone who is qualified and looking, have them contact me via my email at iinokon@amhersthealthcare.com

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

Lynn is exactly correct. The reason that the medical profession remains strong is due to the difficulty of the admission process and the low number of medical schools. The reason that physician recruiting has been so lucrative, even in this economy is due to that fact that the medical board understands the economics of supply and demand. If you flood the market with medical schools and physicians, competition will increase and demand will drop and it will make it more difficult for those already practicing. This is simple economics! Apparently, those making the decisions to allow too many schools to open for Pharmacists, didn't take economics.

Unless something happens to grow the demand for pharmacists, possibly retail establishments beginning to expand and hire more pharmacists, or an expansion in other areas, we are in for a long stretch of difficulty in the field of pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

42 months ago

Ivory tower academics are aligned with pharmaceutics. They truly believe that dispensing drugs in a drug store requires a PharmD. They are part of the reason pharmacy could not break into the roles that NP's and PA's hold now. Pharmacy should have demanded to become a real profession with the right to diagnose and prescribe.

Instead, pharmacy leaders shrank back from the angry posturing of medicine. Pharmacy kindly gave up the only true professional responsibility related to pharmacotherapy. You cannot be good at drug therapy unless you practice drug therapy. Dispensing drugs has almost nothing to do with pharmacology. That is why experience means nothing in pharmacy. Even in hospitals, pharmacists spend most of their time doing nursing secretarial work by "verifying" and processing orders.

I see that a few pharmacy schools have blended a PA program with their PharmD. This is the only sensible future for pharmacy.

Maybe it is time to shake up pharmacy's house of cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana

42 months ago

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas said: I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I graduated and now am in the highest tax bracket..not many jobs can say that...

KEEP OPENING MORE SCHOOLS!!! THE INTEREST IS THERE..

My job is stressfull, but thats why I make 100k+...

These people are a bunch of liars, stick with pharmacy its a great profession and 100k salary upon graduation!

I am moving to Tx next yr to attend the Texas Tech school of Pharmacy. I just graduated with a business degree and will be hired at Walgreens as a manager (great idea, automatic job once I become a pharmacist) Dallas seems to be where it's at there are nothing but jobs in just about any field. I believe it's all in where you go. From these comments...the East Coast isnt the place to be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

chancery in Atlanta, Georgia

42 months ago

You are not wise to go into pharmacy. It is overcrowded and retail will burn you out fast. Go on the med school where there will always be a position for you and you will have some respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

42 months ago

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I am moving to Tx next yr to attend the Texas Tech school of Pharmacy. I just graduated with a business degree and will be hired at Walgreens as a manager (great idea, automatic job once I become a pharmacist) Dallas seems to be where it's at there are nothing but jobs in just about any field. I believe it's all in where you go. From these comments...the East Coast isnt the place to be

Will you have to 'explain' you move to TX?? I hear that parts of the south & TX aren't that welcoming toward those from the east especially the northeast. Besides how do you explaining moving somewhere without a job lined up??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana

42 months ago

If you lived in New Orleans, you would understand why I would want to move. You think the East is bad??? If you do not know a crooked politician you are not making any real money out here! Our governor cut so many programs that most college students have to leave the state to get an education. I am also a Certified Nursing Assistant and even that occupation gets screwed over down here. I dont have a decent job here but I do have a better chance in Dallas because their economy is growing FAST! Every student I know that graduated and left New Orleans and headed to some part of TX, ND, SD and CO have found great paying jobs. My cousin picked up and left with the shirt on his back and moved to TX and found a job in a week! Some places are just better than others. I work in retail now, and the job where I am now pays $3 less than Dallas! The exact same position!Retail isn't what bothers me, if I can get through a clothing store folding stuff consistently over and over, dealing with nasty attitudes, working 20< hrs/wk trying to scrape pennies to pay bills...im more than sure I can do it for 100k doing less

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana

42 months ago

Nick if you think TX isnt welcoming to the East coast try moving there from NEW ORLEANS...dont worry about what you think people will feel. Do what you have to do and make it. Ive been apart of the working poor for a while, my family has always been in it. 1 thing I do know is survival and when you need to survive no one's opinions matter. I am a first generation high school and college graduate and i am breaking that cycle of poverty. The Pharmacy market may be bad in a lot of places, but I am going to make it and make sure I am smart about my money and make sure I prepare for another recession just like I prepare for hurricane season

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

42 months ago

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana said: If you lived in New Orleans, you would understand why I would want to move. You think the East is bad??? If you do not know a crooked politician you are not making any real money out here! Our governor cut so many programs that most college students have to leave the state to get an education. I am also a Certified Nursing Assistant and even that occupation gets screwed over down here. I dont have a decent job here but I do have a better chance in Dallas because their economy is growing FAST! Every student I know that graduated and left New Orleans and headed to some part of TX, ND, SD and CO have found great paying jobs. My cousin picked up and left with the shirt on his back and moved to TX and found a job in a week! Some places are just better than others. I work in retail now, and the job where I am now pays $3 less than Dallas! The exact same position!Retail isn't what bothers me, if I can get through a clothing store folding stuff consistently over and over, dealing with nasty attitudes, working 20< hrs/wk trying to scrape pennies to pay bills...im more than sure I can do it for 100k doing less

Really?? Did he not have a job lined up first?? In many parts of the northeast that is considered very odd since people think there is something wrong with you if you aren't employed especially in a state like Massachusetts where the number of open Pharmacist & RN jobs exceed the number of candidates by a 2 to 1 margin (according to the Boston Globe).
I can't imagine however those in Texas being hospitable to those from the north or the northeast. Maybe in Austin which is really a mini San Francisco but the cost of living there is outrageous (rents are as high as they are in the NYC area)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana

42 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Really?? Did he not have a job lined up first?? In many parts of the northeast that is considered very odd since people think there is something wrong with you if you aren't employed especially in a state like Massachusetts where the number of open Pharmacist & RN jobs exceed the number of candidates by a 2 to 1 margin (according to the Boston Globe).
I can't imagine however those in Texas being hospitable to those from the north or the northeast. Maybe in Austin which is really a mini San Francisco but the cost of living there is outrageous (rents are as high as they are in the NYC area)

My bf lived in Dallas before he moved back home to New Orleans and he paid less in Dallas than I do in New Orleans. Don't believe everything you hear or read. You've got to get out there yourself! I like to read forums and research to get different opinions but when it comes to making a decision I hit the pavement myself. Not having a job lined up isnt going to be the problem. I am going to be starting at Walgreens (like I said you gotta know someone to get on out here and I knew 2 ppl) The manager knows my intentions of moving next year and the Walgreens & CVS in Dallas are constantly looking for people. I dont like the hospital settings so Walgreens it will be. Because I am also a Business major I do plan on going with my dream and opening my own business in a different profession. People talk about people growing up in the hood, but if you ever sat down and listened you would know that their common sense levels are very high, much higher than most people with book sense. One thing I have learned about the people in low income areas is to never have all of your money coming from one direction. This is where a lot of people fall short. You always have to have a side hustle/job/whatever you want to call it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRPh. in Harvest, Alabama

41 months ago

Google : Labor Will Be Less of a Drag on Drugstores
article in barrons

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacydownthedrain in Orlando, Florida

41 months ago

I am not sure opening an independent is the answer. I tried it and found that the reimbursement from these insurance companies was very low in my opinion. It is said that it costs 10 dollars to fill a prescription for the pharmacy, I was making an average of $5 per prescription on insurance in my new pharmacy and had friends in the business longer agreeing with me. So save your money and look into some other business in my opinion.

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'VE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS,I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE CALL EVEN FOR AN INTERVIEW
I'M PHARM.D, 5 YEARS RETAIL EXPERIENCE, NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE, LICENSED IN 2 STATES, MA AND PA
NOW, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO START THINKING ABOUT OPENING MY OWN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY COZ I'LL GET LAID OFF IN LESS THAN A MONTH, I KNOW, IT'S GONNA BE BAD FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE BEING A WOMAN AND WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK LIKE THAT, BUT WHAT I CAN DO ?
MARRY A RICH HUSBAND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL ?? LOL...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Isabelle in South Ozone Park, New York

41 months ago

Hey guys, I'm going to be a Highschool Junior so I have to start looking at Colleges (...fun). I was actually googling to find any programs for Highschool students who want to pursue a career in Pharmacy where I came upon this forum. I read through most of the posts (except for maybe the last few) and can't believe how bad the Pharmacy field is doing. I've looked at Pharmacy colleges and have noticed that there are a lot (one in particular I'm interested in), and have read on most of their sites how in the following years the demand for pharmacists will increase.

Quote from one of the sites:
"Well-trained pharmacists are always in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for pharmacists will rise 17 percent by 2018. This growth is fueled by the increasing use of prescription drugs by an aging population; scientific advances leading to the introduction of new drugs; and pharmacists' growing involvement in patient care."

Now after reading your posts I'm wondering is this just something to try to get students in? I would really love to become a pharmacist; however, after reading this I'm not sure now . I'm not saying I'm going to give it up, I'll definitely research further and look at other forums (I still have time before making a decision). If I was to pursue becoming a pharmacist what would you recommend (Like degrees, etc.)? Or do you think I should start researching pre-med (Either way I definitely want to go into medicine, if not pharmacy I would probably go into cardiology)?

Thanks for your time ( sorry for the really long post =/ ).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ugh in Tujunga, California

41 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Do you mean the average 20 something with no experience that employers are tripping over themselves to hire or a career changer who may have a degree in 'something else' but may want to change careers but realizes at the end he can't even buy an interview due to being 'overqualified' or having bad credit or some other 'issue' but these 20 something kids get a menu of job offers because they are easy to train, nice to look at, sleep with anyone on or off the job and don't have any baggage

No one likes career changers. No one has time to deal with career changers in this economy. That was fine 10 years ago when there were plentiful of jobs, but when there are no jobs, why would an employer pick a career changer over someone much younger whose first pick was pharmacy? Sorry, that's the truth. I worked as a recruiter before and I know this. If I have one job available and 100 applicants, I'm probably going to pick the cheaper candidate, who's unmarried/no kids (therefore more able to commit to the job), much younger than me (so I can control easier), and someone fresh out of school and eager to work, and someone who can put years of work in. Someone who's 40+ has worked, thinks they know everything (even though they are new to the field), are difficult to train, reluctant to learn technology, ask for more money, and have a million restrictions regarding their schedule because of their family. Compare that to a 25 year old single person living on their own who is able to concentrate 150% on their career. Sorry, it's the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

amyjacobs in Naperville, Illinois

41 months ago

My advise to those contemplating going into pharmacy now is this, DON'T, GO AND STUDY MEDICINE".You are as intelligent as a med student, why go into an ill-defined and unrespected profession with bleak job prospects and huge loans. I have been a pharmacist for 22 years so I know what I am talking about. Do not listen to paid agents of ACPE and Schools of Pharmacy, they are out of touch and are churning off fake statistics on the labor market. I relocated with my husband about a year ago, and i have a job with a 3 hour commute daily and i have been searching. I am licensed in the state I relocated to plus a neighbouring state but the market is not looking pretty right now. Its about supply and demand. I even have an MBA which one day I am hoping will help but no luck yet.
When I got into college, i could have been anything because i had a gpa of about 4.0 but i made a decision to go into pharmacy. that is something i always wish i could undo as all my friends who studied medicine don't have all these issues. My main goal now is to advise my teenage children to avoid making career mistakes. I must confess though that the job prospects were not like this until 3 years ago or thereabout. I even wanted to work 3 months in alaska as i had a friend who took home 20k after tax and worked just 4 months in alaska up till 2009. She gave me the no. to call but ALASKA is full.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

disappointed R.Ph. in Spring, Texas

41 months ago

Sara in Nashville, Tennessee said: CALLING ALL PHARMACISTS OUT THERE!!!! WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER AND SAVE OUR PROFESSION!!!!!
New schools opening up are saturating the profession,lowering standards, and producing incompetent pharmacists!!! Let's all do something about it!

I am with you Sara in Nashville, but what can we do? I am a pharmacist in the Houston, Texas area, and believe me, it scares me to see how the profession is going down hill. I have worked in both retail for the Walgreens and CVSs of the that world, and various hospitals of the Texas area. Employers treat pharmacists like we are a dime-a-dozen. We are disrepected by nurses, doctors, and even other fellow PHARMACISTS (those who are the Directors of Pharmacy and DM's of Pharmacy)!!! Do you think forming a Union would help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kari in Sandy, Utah

41 months ago

The pharmacist job market IS getting worse....myself and 3 other pharmacists were just laid off from a long-term care pharmacy, where the market is supposed to be GROWING with oncoming baby-boomers in 10 years. It has been 8 weeks since I was laid-off and I still don't have a job on the horizon. Too many people applying for too few jobs in this State. Just curious....how is it in other states? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lore2400 in Mooresville, North Carolina

41 months ago

For Amherst Healthcare or anyone else, is there a program to fast track to NP (or RN or mastor's for admin.) or PA? I have a B.S. in Biology and PharmD, both from very good schools. I've posted on another forum and have been without work (pharmacist) for quite a while now. It's nearly impossible to keep up your skills and knowledge, and now I don't want to go back into a profession where my confidence level is down and we're disrespected. I would honestly be happier in a different field. I started off in undergrad as a nursing major, with the goal of being an NP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

41 months ago

No fast track. It's as if you had no PharmD at all.

I think pharmacy schools should create one. PharmD training is an excellent background for clinical diagnosis and prescribing.

NOT DISPENSING.

Let's turn pharmacy's sad story around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

If you already have a PharmD and are looking to pursue a different field, I would recommend contacting the schools that you are interested in, and find out if there is any credit for the degree that you currently have and the courses that you have already taken. It might cut off a few years of study, but I can't be sure. I think that it might be easier to continue in your field and simply specialize. Why put all of that education to waste?

Who knows, by the time you complete your degree in that new field, it might be on a downturn and pharmacy might be on the upswing. If you like pharmacy and you are already licensed, look to specialize in an area that excites you. Just do a bit of homework first to make sure that there are openings in that area and that there will be growth as well before you take the plunge.

After saying that, I have an openings for Clinical Pharmacists near Charlotte, NC. Residency preferred, but strong hospital pharmacy experience will be considered. Also looking for hospital experienced pharmacy manager there as well. Need multiple DOPs in Texas.

Very hot position for Specialty Pharmacy Technician with Management experience and PBM background. Position is in Long Island and the pay is Fantastic! If you know anyone who fits any of these openings send them my way.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

41 months ago

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: If you already have a PharmD and are looking to pursue a different field, I would recommend contacting the schools that you are interested in, and find out if there is any credit for the degree that you currently have and the courses that you have already taken. It might cut off a few years of study, but I can't be sure. I think that it might be easier to continue in your field and simply specialize. Why put all of that education to waste?

Who knows, by the time you complete your degree in that new field, it might be on a downturn and pharmacy might be on the upswing. If you like pharmacy and you are already licensed, look to specialize in an area that excites you. Just do a bit of homework first to make sure that there are openings in that area and that there will be growth as well before you take the plunge.

After saying that, I have an openings for Clinical Pharmacists near Charlotte, NC. Residency preferred, but strong hospital pharmacy experience will be considered. Also looking for hospital experienced pharmacy manager there as well. Need multiple DOPs in Texas.

Very hot position for Specialty Pharmacy Technician with Management experience and PBM background. Position is in Long Island and the pay is Fantastic! If you know anyone who fits any of these openings send them my way.

Thanks

Funny! Spoken like a true headhunter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Thanks Flip! I take that as a compliment. One should always strive to be the best at whatever they do:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

flip in Burlington, Iowa said: If you are enjoying your job, I must give you credit for choosing your career well.

I definitely enjoy what I do. I would enjoy it even more if there were more pharmacy jobs available. Trying to find an open pharmacist position these days is like trying to perform a root canal with a jackhammer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lore2400 in Mooresville, North Carolina

41 months ago

Well, I'm not so sure I want to stay in this profession considering what it has become. Really-with all the students graduating each year, and their brains being younger and more up-to-date than mine, even if the market gets better, I'm not sure I would have a good enough chance to find a job. I would continue in my field if I could, but I can't find a job! I don't have hospital experience, only retail. So, I don't know how I specialize if I can't find a job doing anything in the field. I cannot relocate b/c my husband is in an industry that is only in this area. He gets paid well, so relocating for me wouldn't make much sense. Has anyone heard of independents letting unemployed pharmacists work for a low wage just to keep their knowledge base? The one career in medicine I am pretty sure is pretty open is RNs...I think. I worked as a CNA during high school, so I know I can't be happy doing that kind of work for life.
Just saw a story on the news about law schools being "scams." Apparently, graduates of a NY law school filed a class action lawsuit against their school, claiming they were duped into enrolling with false promises of practically guaranteed high-paying jobs upon graduation. Of course when they got out, all they had was high debt and no job. From what I read in one article, the percentage of previous grads getting jobs upon graduation and their avg. salaries were pretty far off from what the actual figures were. Thought it was interesting and I'd share. Not saying pharm schools are this bad, but I think they should be regulated. The same issue is brought up in these articles. Law schools aren't either, so all these schools can open, tell students what they want to hear, and just collect money. We all know how many pharm schools have opened in the last ten years, and how much each class size has grown!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Looking4workPharmD in Clementon, New Jersey

40 months ago

I have a PharmD, residency, hospital experience, clinical experience, and retail experience. However, I cannot find a job in PA, NJ, or DE if my life depended on it.

Do not buy into the whole residency idea. It is a scam to get you to take a salary hit and work your ass off. What I have seen or employers taking advantage of the pharmacists these days. I would not recommend this profession to anyone. I know pharmacists with years of experience that have been unemployed for well over a year at this stage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Trenton, New Jersey

40 months ago

lk0802 in Collingswood, New Jersey said: If your willing to move youll find something somewhere. Anything near the city (USP, Temple, Rutgers and now Jefferson)....the whole state of PA is basically a no go...and same with jersey.

I got 2 job offers in PA from my rotations...but as far as someone who has recently closed an independent..or someone trying to switch jobs....you better know someone! Because theres nothing

If you are looking, get in touch with me. I may have a part time opportunity available in Trenton, NJ. six zero nine, three nine four zero six hundred ask for steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NS_Highlander in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

40 months ago

My wife is a Pharmacy District Manager for a large chain and I will share a few perspectives she has.

My wife would rather hire a new grad than someone middle aged because they have debts and are hungry for work and are more motivated do a good job. The ones closest to retirement give her more problems, and are more arrogant because they don't need the money. With that said, there are young people she has turned away and older people she has hired, but this seems to be the trend.

There will always be a demand for what she defines as GOOD pharmacists. What this means are people that can handle volume and have great customer services skills. The kind of workers that are dedicated, that don't call in sick unless necessary and will cover for others when they are sick. She wants people that are willing to help her and are team players. Finding these types are harder than most people think.

Some pharmacists that resent coming in to work on sick days because she doesn't have floaters fail to understand that anyone willing to have no guarantee of hours or benefits is usually someone you don't want working in your pharmacy anyway. But, there are some execptions....

My wife will run holes for long periods of time with a file full of applications if she cannot get the kind of people listed above. There is no shortage of Pharmacists, but there is a shortage of good pharmacists.

Regarding immigrants. Their current use now mainly extends to the rural crap holes where americans don't want to work. They aren't necessarily better pharmacists (but are no worse) but, they will work harder to grow the business and value their jobs more (because getting terminated means they get a one way ticket back to a third world country) The ones people often see behind the bench today are left overs from the shortage. But, remember these people not only have their place, have lives and and homes and you just can't throw them out like garbage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

"Wake Up Call" in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I've been in pharmacy for 25 years in practically every specialty and segment in the career option. When I graduated in the mid-1980's, I had 3 jobs lined up and worked to pay off my student loans in less than a year. Through the 1990's, if I wanted to work additional hours, I'd merely pick up the phone and call a colleague in my network of pharmacist buddies and I'd have another pharmacist job before the week was over. What's happened to our security blanket in pharmacy in the years following the new millennium? Well, anyone who keeps up with current affairs can answer that without a glitch. Although I can personally write a dissertation on this topic with a multitude of experiential observations, I only have enough space and time to offer Holmes in River Grove (Ill.) and his delusional followers a link to a reality checkpoint in a factually supported article in Pharmacy Times ( drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Associations/Too-many-schools-not-enough-jobs/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/726709 ). Please understand that trends in pharmacy practice are symptomatic of a more global pattern in health care and the obvious fact that, when economic times are tough, pharmacists are perceived as "dispensers" in the medical world of remote services, robotic pharmacies, and automation technologies. In pharmacy, we're all very reluctant to accept that we're "predominantly" perceived by the pubic and the medical community with a "distribution role" in health care. So, when the chips are down economically, automation and technicians will replace expensive cogs (i.e., pharmacists) without significantly impacting quality assurance. The sad fact is that pharmacists who have assumed leadership positions as the business administrators are the one's who are profiting from advocating and pioneering efforts to demonstrate that technology (i.e., remote pharmacy, automation, etc...) replaces pharmacists with positive outcomes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amyjacobs in Naperville, Illinois

40 months ago

To the husband of the PDM, it is managers like her that make life hell for the rest of us pharmacists. I know a lot of pdms who never cover a store and cannot use the software. Even if a pharmacist is dying they feel too important to cover the pharmacy. I know because i have severe health issues working for a chain over years with minimal tech hours and being afraid to call off sick because i thought of my pdm. Who is she to determine a good pharmacist? Most of the pdms were not appointed by merit. i know one who became a pdm immediately she got licensed as a pharmacist. she was an intern under me and was not above average. Besides, the only difference between her and her pharmacists is a letter. There are countless pdms who came back as staff pharmacists so be careful how you treat your colleagues when you think yu are above so they dont mock you when you come down to earth. a pdm is a pharmacist, period!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Atlanta, Georgia

40 months ago

Being an unemployed pharmacist with over thirty years experience, I can remember the great years that pharmacists were in demand. The reason that pharmacists are not in demand and will be less in demand in the future is simply supply and demand.
For years, people have believed inaccurate data concerning demand. In actuality the demand was much much less. Wherever there is a supposed demand someone will supply. Schools were built knowing that the demand figures for pharmacists were wrong, but knowing that there were plenty of naive young people who would beleve their spiel about pharmacy's glorious future. The educators sold pharmacy with ease to each new ignorant class. The schools are money makers and have made vaults full of cash praying on the uninformed. The real losers are the present day working pharmacist and the students themselves. I would urge all new grads to collectively sue the pants off the educators that have duped them into a world of joblessness and debt. Maybe if they take a hit in court, there will be less fraud from them in the furure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tothetune in Phoenix, Arizona

39 months ago

I'm in hospital in AZ. Business has been off since the economy crashed. We've had our hours cut from 40 to 35, a lot of us use some PTO to make up half the difference, still glad to just be working.
A funny story, probably true, I heard years ago. Pharmacist working at a NYC chain drops dead on the job while pounding out scripts. Manager runs out, 1st thing he does before even calling 911, he punches out the dead guys timecard.
I did retail for 12 years then went over to hospital 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did.
Like I always used to tell my customers, if you ain't on drugs you better get on 'em!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

getreal in Beaumont, Texas

39 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

You must be the president of one of those new pharmacy school. ignorance is bliss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Mira Loma, California

39 months ago

Kids if you really want to know what the job demand is call the recruitment number listed on any of the major chain career sites. Say: "Thanks for taking my call. I just took my boards today and I am feeling pretty good about it. I was curious about any opportunities available with fillintheblank."
I promise you won’t have to go forward with an interview. You could also call any mom and pop pharmacy in your area (or pick an area you would love to live in) and say, "I am relocating next month and was wondering if you had any per Diem needs coming up."
I keep noticing the same old cut and paste "Do not believe the lies..." I know that if I had a killer job I would not cruise these forums for ANY reason. Indeed Indeed would not even enter my thoughts. In fact, even in the unlikely event that I had a bad day at my killer job and wanted to job hunt to blow off steam I would likely reach for the Sunday paper classifieds like I did to find my career kick off job circa 1995.
If you have it in you to make the grades and network get a dual PharmD/PA degree. If I could do it again that is what I would do. I am pretty sure I would not be writing to you. ;)
note: to those primarily interested in fat salary pharmacists make.... you should do it dude! Go to pharmacy school. The chains will pay back your loans! You can do it no problem. Just apply your depends, grab a bag of peanuts and you are off to drive that leased mercedes for a 12 hour park at the fillintheblank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Mira Loma, California

39 months ago

Funny!;() My mom was the social worker that wanted her daughter to have financial freedom. She encouraged me so far as to fill out my winning ticket into this nightmare. Wait! I thought it was funny! No, funny is: $140000 to soup kitchen to: $105000 to: Hey Mr. stay on your side of the bench… and all the fear in between.
PS to the kids: if you really have competitive grades don't say "PRE-" anything. (ie. don't say "bun" say "be you N":))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Atlanta, Georgia

39 months ago

It is really horrendous to find something in a state with four pharmacy schools. We already had Mercer, and UGA and courtesy of the academic money machine we now have South and still a newer Philadelphia school. It has made the job marked super tight. Even Rite Aid is having no problems getting people, and that is saying plenty. It is turning into a no win situation for pharmacists. The ones that have a job a getting their job micromanaged on an unprecedented scale since all the people above them have to make work to keep their jobs.Help is being cut to the bone, and some pharmacist stay over just to keep from coming in the next day to a pile of unfinished work. For all you ignoramuses that are thinking about a pharmacy career, WAKE UP. You are like the guy at the turn of the century that kept selling buggies with the autos went zooming by. Soon no one needed him. I believe that automation will also do away with more pharmacists.Go where the damand is. You don't go to a dessert to find refreshment
You go to a fountain and it ain't pharmacy anymore!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

AnalyticalMind in Buffalo, New York

39 months ago

David in Atlanta, Georgia said: It is really horrendous to find something in a state with four pharmacy schools. We already had Mercer, and UGA and courtesy of the academic money machine we now have South and still a newer Philadelphia school. It has made the job marked super tight. Even Rite Aid is having no problems getting people, and that is saying plenty. It is turning into a no win situation for pharmacists. The ones that have a job a getting their job micromanaged on an unprecedented scale since all the people above them have to make work to keep their jobs.Help is being cut to the bone, and some pharmacist stay over just to keep from coming in the next day to a pile of unfinished work. For all you ignoramuses that are thinking about a pharmacy career, WAKE UP. You are like the guy at the turn of the century that kept selling buggies with the autos went zooming by. Soon no one needed him. I believe that automation will also do away with more pharmacists.Go where the damand is. You don't go to a dessert to find refreshment
You go to a fountain and it ain't pharmacy anymore!

Hi David/Forum Members,
So where/what is the fountain that will keep producing for the average working lifetime? Enrolling in Physician Assistant programs after Pharm.D. and/or B.Pharm.? Anyone up for RETAKING all those prerequisites such as Chem 101-102/WITH LABS, Organic ChemI &II/WITH LABS, Physics I&II/WITH LABS, Calculus, Bio/1 year, and upper level Physiology OVER AGAIN, if you studied those courses more than 10 years ago for your Pharmacy degree. Check out the admissions requirements for P.A. and you will see that as a factor for getting into the program. One school noted, unless you use those courses directly in your line of work, you must re-take if studied greater than 6-10 years ago. Who uses physics concepts in retail, hospital, etc.?
What are y'all thoughts on this...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

39 months ago

AnalyticalMind in Buffalo, New York said: Hi David/Forum Members,
So where/what is the fountain that will keep producing for the average working lifetime? Enrolling in Physician Assistant programs after Pharm.D. and/or B.Pharm.? Anyone up for RETAKING all those prerequisites such as Chem 101-102/WITH LABS, Organic ChemI &II/WITH LABS, Physics I&II/WITH LABS, Calculus, Bio/1 year, and upper level Physiology OVER AGAIN, if you studied those courses more than 10 years ago for your Pharmacy degree. Check out the admissions requirements for P.A. and you will see that as a factor for getting into the program. One school noted, unless you use those courses directly in your line of work, you must re-take if studied greater than 6-10 years ago. Who uses physics concepts in retail, hospital, etc.?
What are y'all thoughts on this...

Even if your undergrad work is new enough, you must start at the beginning. LPN, physical therapist, or doctor; it doesn't matter. Each institution wants the most money from each student.
BTW, students and pharmacists: Don't feel bad about being over-educated. EVERY health care job is contrived and superfluous. EVERY health care job exists because a little law says so. However, it is time to say no to the ridiculous idea of (required) pharmacy residencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph

39 months ago

Google: NIA college conspiracy...
inflation.us/videos.html at about the 40 minute mark they
they go into pharmacy and how in 2008 the pharmacy shortage hoax was created.
Now a word about NIA, they give some truth, but it's mixed with some lies. Its main operator is a fellow by the name of Jonathan Lebed who mixes economic truth with a stock and dump scheme. The video costs about 40 thousand bucks to produce. But it's good to go to a university, but the price is in a bubble thanks to cheap loans and government & corporate interference. Peter Schiff exposes the problems with NIA.
www.thetotalcollapse.com/peter-schiff-exposes-nia-scam/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph

39 months ago

David in Atlanta, Georgia said: It is really horrendous to find something in a state with four pharmacy schools. We already had Mercer, and UGA and courtesy of the academic money machine we now have South and still a newer Philadelphia school. It has made the job marked super tight. Even Rite Aid is having no problems getting people, and that is saying plenty. It is turning into a no win situation for pharmacists. The ones that have a job a getting their job micromanaged on an unprecedented scale since all the people above them have to make work to keep their jobs.Help is being cut to the bone, and some pharmacist stay over just to keep from coming in the next day to a pile of unfinished work. For all you ignoramuses that are thinking about a pharmacy career, WAKE UP. You are like the guy at the turn of the century that kept selling buggies with the autos went zooming by. Soon no one needed him. I believe that automation will also do away with more pharmacists.Go where the damand is. You don't go to a dessert to find refreshment
You go to a fountain and it ain't pharmacy anymore!

Correct, people also need to be aware and watch this:
inflation.us/videos.html In the 1st video titled college conspiracy at around the 40 minute mark they talk about THE 2008 PHARMACIST SHORTAGE HOAX... but NIA in the end touts to join to recieve special e-mails touting stocks ( buyer beware ) but this cideo does have some truth in it. But it's not just pharmacist that will suffer in economic hardship, expect 20 percent unemployment probably more... Do what's best and get a survivalist mentality soon. If things collapse some workers will be needed mechanic, AC repair, things that keep peoples necessities working as they generally get poorer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

39 months ago

UsedRph said: Correct, people also need to be aware and watch this:
inflation.us/videos.html In the 1st video titled college conspiracy at around the 40 minute mark they talk about THE 2008 PHARMACIST SHORTAGE HOAX... but NIA in the end touts to join to recieve special e-mails touting stocks ( buyer beware ) but this cideo does have some truth in it. But it's not just pharmacist that will suffer in economic hardship, expect 20 percent unemployment probably more... Do what's best and get a survivalist mentality soon. If things collapse some workers will be needed mechanic, AC repair, things that keep peoples necessities working as they generally get poorer.

If a collapse occurred, things would turn around in a good way:

Corporate control of pharmacy would end. Small communities will have to depend on each other again. Each community will need a pharmacist who provides professional service to the people. You will not submit claims to corrupt insurance institutions anymore. Your fees will be inline with what the people can pay. (Physicians too). Cheap effective drugs will be available.

Of course, this would only happen with the most catastrophic possible outcomes. Nevertheless, it makes you think about how things could be different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph

39 months ago

@ flip in Burlington Iowa,

A collapse could be a good thing. But Corporate Power continues to influence the schools & the law. In a cash only situation prices would go down and salaries would go down and good independant pharmacies would gain ground and service the customer better than these chains. We also need to see a commercial real estate crash so inflated prices on commercial real estate would come down & that would allow smaller bussiness to get better positions. But nobody in the establishment wants that. The tax collector doesn't want that, the banks who made the loans don't want that. So instead we have ( what I believe is going on ) is a game of favorites. Friends of the Federal Reserve get the assets for free and ousiders have to pay the asking price. Perhaps it's always been that way, but if the Federal Reserve is propping up poor companies ( thru the banks that own the Fed ) we will never have true competetion just an illusion. A lie.. just like the lie of cognitive services & the lie of a pharmacist shortage. But it's a nice thought to see these corporations crumble... and the pharmacy schools turned upside down because they worshiped and trusted thier corporate overlords... That 20 thousand dollar check Tom Ryan gives a school is a pittance to his 120 Million in stock options.... and he's not even the owners... www.zimbio.com/CEO+Tom+Ryan/articles/gJ2r0Pw5ql4/CVS+ex+CEO+takes+home+over+120+million+2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph

39 months ago

flip in Burlington, Iowa said: If a collapse occurred, things would turn around in a good way:

Corporate control of pharmacy would end. Small communities will have to depend on each other again. Each community will need a pharmacist who provides professional service to the people. You will not submit claims to corrupt insurance institutions anymore. Your fees will be inline with what the people can pay. (Physicians too). Cheap effective drugs will be available.

Of course, this would only happen with the most catastrophic possible outcomes. Nevertheless, it makes you think about how things could be different.

Our surplus labor is the problem of a much worse system that affects everyone www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrV84FZ_4G4
I have not seen any Federal Reserve notes with dates after 2006...
yet the debt has grown substantially....
So I believe this whole collapsed is planned.
It's the mechinism of action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

39 months ago

Update

I am still unemployed, still cannot support my family financially, cannot find jobs that are not pharmacist jobs because I am overqualified, went to every pharmacy in a 25 mile radius, not a single job out there. I do not know what to do.

I am a PharmD with a residency completed. I talked to recruiters but they said they do not have much out my way at all. It is a nasty market. I have offered to work for $10 an hour less and I still cannot find anything.

Any suggestions? Becoming a pharmacist has been the biggest mistake of my life. I lost all those years earning money without this monster debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

flip in Burlington, Iowa

39 months ago

UsedRph said: Our surplus labor is the problem of a much worse system that affects everyone www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrV84FZ_4G4
I have not seen any Federal Reserve notes with dates after 2006...
yet the debt has grown substantially....
So I believe this whole collapsed is planned.
It's the mechinism of action.

I watched the Bill Still youtube. Very informative. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DisappointedGrad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

Solutions to Pharmacist Unemployment

1. Get a pharmacist license in a state that gives you more opportunity like the Midwest and Southwest states. My last option would be North Dakota, but I can tell you ever time I inquire about jobs up there, they are, or appear to be available. As a matter of fact one pharmacy manager emailed me and said they even have a part-time job with full time benefits.
a. Get a job there and move there.
b. If you have to go there in person for an interview, stick around for a while and get some others lined up.

2. If you are tied down by having a house or something. What can I say? Stay there and keep looking, but realize you might be looking for another 2 years. Or, cut your loses and get the **** out of there. That is if you really want a pharmacist salary.

3. Revamp your resume, drop the Pharm. D. degree and fill in the blank on the resume. Realize you won't be getting a Pharm. D. salary, and your student loan debt will sky rocket, and you'll be paying that off for the rest of your life. If you can't get a job like that either, try one of my other options.

4. Join the military as an pharmacist. Inquire about loan repayment for each branch. Because they don't all offer the same loan repayment.

5. Consider taking the pharmacist exam for Canada or Australia or where ever and move there. At least you'll have health insurance. Salaries are different though.

6. Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll probably keep getting the same results that you are getting.

7. Join the military as enlisted, have them train you as a PA or something else. Get the hell out of the field and get help with loan repayment.

It's not easy. But, these are some of the ideas I am going with. I'm using number 1 and 4. One thing I know for certain. If you've been in a state, like I am and you can't find a job within 5 months, like myself, I would think it's time to find another approach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Ontario, California

39 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: Update

I am still unemployed, still cannot support my family financially, cannot find jobs that are not pharmacist jobs because I am overqualified, went to every pharmacy in a 25 mile radius, not a single job out there. I do not know what to do.

I am a PharmD with a residency completed. I talked to recruiters but they said they do not have much out my way at all. It is a nasty market. I have offered to work for $10 an hour less and I still cannot find anything.

Any suggestions? Becoming a pharmacist has been the biggest mistake of my life. I lost all those years earning money without this monster debt.

I accepted a job for $15 less an hour and was replaced a month later for someone who would do it for $25 less an hour. That person lacked experience so they asked me to come back at the $25 less an hour rate. I can't do it. I don't want to do it. So now I make zero dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DisappointedGrad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

andhow in Ontario,

Are you serious? No fkn way. What city was that in? What kind a hospital was that? I've thought of putting on my resume will work for 30 or 20 an hour, but I didn't think people actually do it. Wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dan in Lawrenceville, Georgia

39 months ago

Oh man,this makes me want to leave Pharmacy more than ever while i still can? What other careers have a yield similar to Pharmacy. I wonder if all salaries will eventually get pushed down. Why hasnt this happened to nursing? Any suggesstions on safe careers? Im thinking millitary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.