How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 318)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Carry in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (325) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

mami in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

And also there is no room to growth as a pharmacy tech. you will never going to get pay as a pharmacist. i know a lady who has been working in the field for 12 years and she still aking about $14. that definatly a waste of time. i will suggest to everyone to give up that S... and leave that job to the pharmacist since the making all the money they will be able to handle it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

j in Brea, California

65 months ago

i honestly believe you gotta put yourself out there if you really want the job. maybe it's depends on different state as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

demoralized CPhT in Orlando, Florida

65 months ago

I was excited at the thought of this career change myself and I get the same thing. How to get the experience in the first place is beyond me. I do not feel happy at your struggle, but I feel reassured that the problem may not be all with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kattei in Chesapeake, Virginia

65 months ago

I have the same issue. I need experience to go into a hospital setting. These schools pop them out like crazy and dont think of what the student is stuck with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SARAH in El Monte, California

64 months ago

I'M HAVING THAT PROBLEM TOO. I'VE BEEN ASKING AROUND AND SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST THAT I VOLUNTEER AT A PHARMACY. I WOULDN'T MIND BUT I'M LIVING ON MY OWN AND I DON'T THINK I COULD AFFORD TO JUST VOLUNTEER MY TIME AS A PHARM TECH WITH NO PAY. WHERE WOULD I HAVE THE TIME TO GET A PART TIME JOB WHILE VOLUNTEERING? I AM SO PISSED OFF WITH THIS PHARM TECH S***, I DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO RENEW MY LICENSE! I'M IN SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA IF ANYBODY CAN HELP???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Kaylee in San Antonio, Texas

64 months ago

Techgirl09 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I studied at home and took the exam and passed. It took me 8 months and then got hire on by Walgreens. I love my job and am so grateful I was given a chance with no exp. Try Walgreens!!

Please be kindly give me some clue,How did you apply at Walgreens? Who should we talk to at the store?
Thank you,
Kaylee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vgonzalez in Fort Bragg, North Carolina

63 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?
i first got hired in a pharmcy within a clinic, they are small and probably pay you alot less, but atleast you get exp. they are usually willing to train because they are not as busy as walgreens. i'm not sure if they have alot of those there but in chicago, they have alot of small mom n pop pharmacy's. try those, ohhh and honestly go to a bad neghborhood, i know that sounds dumb but you have less competition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

Anonymous Helper in Tempe, Arizona said: Spelling the word 'definitely' correctly may improve your future applications.

i have tried walgreens since i got my license. i also did my externship at a walgreens but there was 5 students including me and they only hired 1 of my fellow classmate. i've tried time and time again, online on walgreens website but to no avail. i'm starting to think that i should apply out of state and move if i get a tech job. i'm desperate now. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

63 months ago

michelle in Sacramento, California said: i have tried walgreens since i got my license. i also did my externship at a walgreens but there was 5 students including me and they only hired 1 of my fellow classmate. i've tried time and time again, online on walgreens website but to no avail. i'm starting to think that i should apply out of state and move if i get a tech job. i'm desperate now. :(

I feel you on that one. I just got word today that I will be laid off in a few days (pharmacy closing) so I am starting to think relocation if I can find an employer to hire me into home infusion, willing to relocate.

www.indeed.com/forum/job/Pharmacy-Technician/Certified-Pharmacy-Tech-Seeking-Contract-Home-Infusion/t126140

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amandaa in Kerrville, Texas

63 months ago

Techgirl09 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I studied at home and took the exam and passed. It took me 8 months and then got hire on by Walgreens. I love my job and am so grateful I was given a chance with no exp. Try Walgreens!!

so did u have any experience at all? or did u just get a book study it then took the exam passed it then they hired you at Walgreens?

Im still in high school about to graduate in like a month and I am looking into pharmacy tech. but i need a little help getting started and finding the books....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

I'm surprised to hear all of this feedback. There are so many Walgreens and other pharmacies springing up I would think there would be jobs. As I have looked online seeking to learn about the demand for pharmacy techs the word is that there will be increasing needs in the years to come because of all the baby boomers reaching ripe age and requiring any # of RX's. I don't know what the majic formula for getting a job would be but before I would spend the $$ for getting the certificate I would seek a job as a pharmacy tech and let them direct me further. I'm one that has a Bachelor's Degree from a private university in Chicago. All of my jobs have involved customer service so I don't know how that would stack up in seeking a job. I wish all of the people who commented the best. I noticed with an online application process there were selections of questions asking how one felt about any # of situations. Maybe they seek certain responses that typically zero in on the personal aspects that are required to interface with those that would be encountered while doing the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

greenfields in San Lorenzo, California

63 months ago

Count me in as one of those PTCB certified without US work experience (but I am a graduate of Pharmacy and has long years of experience as a community pharmacist in my home country). I've applied in several companies for many months now and still no job offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kgreco54@msn.com in Modesto, California

63 months ago

I have been reading those horror stories about the difficulty of finding work. I was trained at the VA Hospital on a vocation rehab program. I then completed an online pharmacy school with a 99% grade,and then got the PTCB certification. I have not been successful yet and have applied for hundreds of pharmacy jobs! I wonder if it is the economy in general that is bad, or if there are just an excess of technicians? A.N.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J in Burbank, California

63 months ago

We are in a recession goin into a depression. There's always going to be a high demand in Pharm tech. but you gotta basically sell urself out there and have good educational background and experience. Just keeping trying you will eventually get a job. This is medical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I must say this subject is a maze. In fact I was trying to understand if getting certified first and then seeking a job was the best method. As I read how those with certificates first got a job and then either took courses to get certified while others read the study prep guides to then get certified it means either approach could work. I learned the other day that Gatlin Education has a Pharm Tech program at our local junior college. Gatlin also has online coursework. I'm one with a Bachelor's degree so I tend to think getting a job as I have the degree explaining I am seeking a new career could get my foot in the door. From what I read Pharm Techs can work in retail stores, hospitals and dental clinics so I would believe between all those catagories there should be something. The future projections of needing Pharm Techs is promising so I would tell all to keep the faith. I noticed at a retail website when clicking to Pharm Techs, certain towns lit up which meant they invited those to fill out online aps which to me meant they either had needs or were anticipating needs in the near future. Judging from the application process they wanted to be aware of one's record asking about a criminal background, they wanted to be aware of one's educational background, and there were a battery of questions regarding how one perceived certain situations, working in a group, what they did if it was slow, etc. which would identify how one behaved. I don't know how much weight they put on the various above catagories but it must in their eyes identify the type of person that would fit in with their situation.
gerdeslinda@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

It's a maze. I'm one with a Bachelor Degree from a university in Chicago. I have no Pharm Tech background but from what I read there will be ever increasing demands for the work.I learned that we have Gatlin Education courses offered through our junior college. Galin Education also offers online coursework. After reading comments in the forum I would think getting a job maybe PT as a Pharm Tech and then getting study guides to become certified may be one approach. As I have gone online to a retail pharmacy I saw some towns were highlighted suggesting they may have Pharm Tech needs. The application asked about a criminal background, educational background and followed with a battery of questions that would identify how one handles themselves in certain situations. Perhaps they have a model that when looking at all of the catagories gives them a pic of the type of person they would consider for a job in their dept. I tend to think there could be a number of approaches in entering this career depending on one's background, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

J in Burbank, California said: We are in a recession goin into a depression. There's always going to be a high demand in Pharm tech. but you gotta basically sell urself out there and have good educational background and experience. Just keeping trying you will eventually get a job. This is medical

Could having a Bachelor Degree help in getting a PT job without Pharm Tech experience? I tend to think because my work experience has involved an eye for detail and people skills I could sell myself in an interview situation. I am mature so that could be viewed as an attribute as I read that pharmacies like cultivating mature, even sr. people. Are there certain study guides that you could suggest to prepare for certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

mami in Chicago, Illinois said: And also there is no room to growth as a pharmacy tech. you will never going to get pay as a pharmacist. i know a lady who has been working in the field for 12 years and she still aking about $14. that definatly a waste of time. i will suggest to everyone to give up that S... and leave that job to the pharmacist since the making all the money they will be able to handle it.

Wow, this is discouraging. I'm a suburban Chicago person. I have a Bachelor's Deg. from Roosevelt U. and I'd approach a Pharm Tech job on a PT basis. I don't know that there is a majic formula for getting a job but I would think past work experience, education, and who knows a personality that was like those working in the field could be a start. I've read that Pharm Techs that also have advanced education can work into lead positions or supervisory depending on how the pharmacy is set up. What I have learned from your experience is I won't try to get certified until after I'd work in the field as it could be a waste of time and $$.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Some questions.......For those of you who are working as Pharm Techs in what order do you feel is most beneficial in gaining employment into the field, 1)get certification 2) try to work in a pharmacy P.T. and then get certified?

What personal characteristics are key in working as a Pharm Tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

poed in Colorado Springs, Colorado

62 months ago

I understand had same problem graduated MA months ago, Job Placement-I don't think they understand what that means. They have not done anything and when I try they give excuses like it's slow right now...whatever, I have had interviews just to be turned down when they hire the one with more experience, How can you get experience if they don't give you a chance. All you see is must have 2 yrs. and the ones that don't call you in just to later say no cause of experience. So upset that what i love to do, I CAN'T!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

It sounds like a rough spot. Like in many career choices one has to almost study what the supply and demand curves are. From my reading there will be needs in the future so the question is what one should do in the here and now. From what I can see of the posts I would tend to believe getting a job in a pharmacy first may be best and then getting the certification afterwards could make more sense. In the case of retail stores maybe even opting to get a job within another dept. letting them know your interest is to transfer to the pharmacy dept. as an opening presents itself. Sometimes stores have a tendency to move their existing employees over to other departments and they enourage the employee to get their training as they are working. I'm glad to be reading the posts because it's telling me something about actually finding work as a Pharm Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yersa in Derry, New Hampshire

62 months ago

I was hired with no experience the day after I graduated high school. I knew someone in the hospital that was able to refer me. I was allowed to work 1000 hours (by law) before taking the registration test. I passed, and they said I could take the certification test only if I wanted to.
Find a place that is short staffed enough, and they will take anyone!
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ZPost in Louisville, Kentucky

61 months ago

ohwell in Plano, Texas said: Hello

To anyone interested, my company is looking for licensed pharmacy techs for a client services rep, you need at least 2 years experience and must be licensed pharmacy tech, health insurance processing preferred but I think experience as a licensed tech is more important. Its United Healthcare, I do not know the starting salary, but its a level 25 which is not entry level. The starting salary for each class depends on where u live. In dallas, tx level 25 starting at UHC is around 40,000 or more. I will warn you the benefits are not as good as they used to be buts its a job that's not retail. I believe the positions are for different states, there seems to always be new positions popping up. I don't have a pharmacy tech license and i dont think i would be interested in that area. Just trying to help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for this information. I am a licensed pharmacy tech. Did you mean your company want licensed tech.s or do you want certified tech.s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M in Sugar Land, Texas

61 months ago

SARAH in El Monte, California said: I'M HAVING THAT PROBLEM TOO. I'VE BEEN ASKING AROUND AND SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST THAT I VOLUNTEER AT A PHARMACY. I WOULDN'T MIND BUT I'M LIVING ON MY OWN AND I DON'T THINK I COULD AFFORD TO JUST VOLUNTEER MY TIME AS A PHARM TECH WITH NO PAY. WHERE WOULD I HAVE THE TIME TO GET A PART TIME JOB WHILE VOLUNTEERING? I AM SO PISSED OFF WITH THIS PHARM TECH S***, I DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO RENEW MY LICENSE! I'M IN SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA IF ANYBODY CAN HELP???

try to volunteer in a hospital once a week and also try to get an iv certification ,my classmate got a hired by volunteering

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ZPost in Louisville, Kentucky

61 months ago

Wait a minute, I am a pharmacy tech. and for what we get paid-- are you sure WE are NOT volunteering too. LOL, Oh... that's not funny. If any one is thinking about doing this, just remember, UPS pays just as well and they pay for your college. If you are going to stand on your feet all day, make the most of it. My feet, legs and back kill me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mb in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

Same problems. I'm older so spent way too much money going to school, cause now I'm trained and unemployed and almost broke. I keep being told I have not enough experience, although I have 30 years experience in health care and know most of the drugs and how to spell and speak English correctly. I'm not as pretty as some younger people and I know that EOE is no longer required. I have been volunteering at a free clinic and the only thing I have heard is that Walgreen's trains in-house only, even though a Pharmacist said he could use alot more help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Charlestown, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

This is simple but you will have to volunteer in a hospital for 2 years. If a retail pharmacy such as Walgreens or CVS won't hire you. Retail pharmacy is the worst place to work in the field of pharmacy.

CVS and Walgreens have stupid customer kiss arse test they use to find out if you would make a good arse kisser. You have to take that test to qualify. If the pharmacist looked you up and down, they were trying to see if you would make a good slave, to do their grunt work. If they passed on you that means they wouldn't be able to control you and thats what that is based on.

I am certified/registered Pharmacy technician who went through Hell at a Massachusetts CVS/Pharmacy. This profession seriously needs a union. Certified/registered technician should make $15.00 to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

tamara.baca@gmail.com in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

I was told it was going to be hard to find a job without experience. Like most of us looking for a tech job Im also certified and took the time to complete a 6 month course and 160 hours of onsite home infusion therapy tech work,still no luck. all my experience is customer service and retail, boring! none of it is applicable to the work of a pharmacy technician, however i am considering another externship on my own free will. I know most of us dont have the time to work for free but maybe it will open a door, at least I hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

60 months ago

tamara.baca@gmail.com in Denver, Colorado said: I was told it was going to be hard to find a job without experience. Like most of us looking for a tech job Im also certified and took the time to complete a 6 month course and 160 hours of onsite home infusion therapy tech work,still no luck. all my experience is customer service and retail, boring! none of it is applicable to the work of a pharmacy technician, however i am considering another externship on my own free will. I know most of us dont have the time to work for free but maybe it will open a door, at least I hope.

Okay, no experience this is the most difficult part of the pharmacy technician career path(the economy is in a Depression, no matter what they tell you and it started in December 2007 and will last at least until 2014 ), So many companies are not hiring or making the challenge of becoming hired damn near impossible. Most places require 2 years experience before they will hire you as as low wage pharmacy technician( starting out at $10.00 - $13.00 an hour), it's pure bull dung.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE CERTIFIED and REGISTERED with your STATE BOARD OF PHARMACY. LOOK UP THE RULES FOR YOUR STATE.

THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL GET EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITHOUT EXPERIENCE IS TO GO VOLUNTEER AT A LOCAL HOSPITAL FOR 2 YEARS.(YES, I KNOW EVEN WITH CERTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION YOU STILL HAVE TO WORK FOR FREE).

DO NOT WORK IN RETAIL IT SUCKS, YOU WILL END UP PISSED OFF AND ANGRY AT THE FIELD OF PHARMACY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

jlmjunebaby in Mcallen, Texas

60 months ago

I have the same exact problem. Have you solved yours yet. I think down here a lot of the problem is that i dont speak fluent spanish but then again i could be wrong. I just need to know how to go about at least getting my foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

looking in Va. in Richmond, Virginia

59 months ago

I can fully understand the frustration of not being able to get hired as a pharmacy technician. I passed the national exam in 2004. I am currently certerfied as a national pharmacy technician, I have a current state license, I have a medical terminology background, medical products background and even worked in a narcotics vault without certification.I hate the thought of wasting all those years of time, effort, and money but I am seriously considering just trying to work in a Burger King or something, at least they will hire you without ten years of experience. Still looking in Virginia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

looking in Va. in Richmond, Virginia

59 months ago

please let me know if anyone has any suggestions about alternative positions to use the certifications and license. Thank,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bprlal13 in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Has anyone obtain a pharmacy tech job through volunteering,did it help you out in your resume (volunteer)get the job or was it worthless? thanks

bprlal13 in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Has volunteering has a pharmacy tech help you get a job as a pt?

opportunities in houston in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Cvs will hire without previous experience as long as the candidate has their PTCB certification. As with any other position requirements, a good work history and solid references will help. If your store does not have a position available in the pharmacy, try to apply for the front store. You would be able to transfer to the pharmacy as soon as a position was available. I was a store manager at one time and I would always promote pharmacy techs from the front store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Highly Discouraged in Mesa, Arizona

58 months ago

I attended Pima Medical Institute and graduated in the top of my class. I was told repeatedly there was a dire need for pharmacy techs. So, where is this dire need I wonder? I have been applying for months to jobs, and have been noticing that a lot of these jobs that I've been applying to (and never get a reply from) get posted over and over, and on every job site on the internet.

It looks as if there is a lot of opportunities, but if you pay attention and look closer, you will notice that they are just duplicates of each other, re-worded in most cases. Hmmmmm.

It wasn't until I was on my extern that I learned the truth. The pharmacist explained to me that these schools are basically in cahoots with certain companies and recruiting agencies to pop out tons of techs so that the companies have more candidates to choose from.

Supply and demand: When there's so many people going for the same jobs, the employers can in turn pay employees less because their demand is so low... which ultimately means more profit for the schools and companies.

When will they start to really think about how this hurts us?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ADRIANA in Victorville, California

58 months ago

J in Burbank, California said: We are in a recession goin into a depression. There's always going to be a high demand in Pharm tech. but you gotta basically sell urself out there and have good educational background and experience. Just keeping trying you will eventually get a job. This is medical

I HAVE MEDICAL EPERIENCE BACKGROUND AND OVER 15 YEARS CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PHARM TECH JOB ANY WHERE IN THESE DESERT. I'M EVEN WILLING TO TRAVEL BUT I'M NOT EVEN HAVING LUCK WITH THAT. I RECENTLY WENT TO A JOB INTERVIEW AND THE FLOOR SUPERVISOR KILLED ME IN THE INTERVIEW BECUZ I ONLY HAD SCHOOL EXPERIENCE AND SOME RETAIL EXPERIENCE FROM MY EXTERNSHIP. HE SAID "HOW COULD I SAY I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THAT". I THINK I'M JUST GOING TO STICK TO THE MORTGAGE INDUSTRY I WOULD MAKE WAY MORE MONEY THERE THEN STAD ON MKY FEET ALL DAY FOR A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ADRIANA in Victorville, California

58 months ago

I finished school in April 2009 I was promised by my school that they would help me find a job. did not happened. O have not even received a call from careers services to see if I even still am alive. I have not been able to find a job. I've applied in hospital retail and walk in to pharmacies to see if anyone is hiring but no one, even want to give me a chance becuz I don't have any experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ks in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

I saw a post about how people would rather pay $4.00 for a prescription than $15.00 for the same medication somewhere else.
(I guess they meant the Walmart $4.00 med program.)
Does anyone know if this will cause pharm tech layoffs from other places like Walgreens, safeway etc. or mail order places. I have not seem mail order prescriptions companies offering any prescriptions for $4.00

Anyone with thoughts on this and how it would affect pharmacy tech jobs in the future?

Especially if Walmart starts doing mail order prescriptions?

I don't want to take a course if there will be less jobs or
PT jobs phasing out in 4 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

paycarnes@yahoo.com in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

58 months ago

my daughter wants to study at home also. how do i know which books to get her?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Mcallen, Texas

58 months ago

go to the ptcb website and under sitemap you will be directed to another page and then scroll down to resources and then under that is Pharmacy Technician Materials or something like that. But i do believe its all the recent and updated books. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

I am a pharmacist and may be able to help answer some of the concerns expressed here. Technicians are not the only ones having difficulty finding or retaining jobs. Some pharmacists have been laid off. Many who are seeking to switch companies are having difficulty getting interviews. In short, job openings are either not availble or EXTREMELY competitive with, in some cases, hundreds of pharmacists applying for the same position.

Remember, we are in the middle of a severe recession. Recent statistics state that the unemployment rate has topped 10% in many states and continuing to rise in other states. The wrong thing to do would be to quit pursuing a job as a technician or fail to renew your license, especially if you already invested considerable time and money to get your certification. You may need to take up another job for a while but eventually the market will rebound. It may even require you to work for a lower wage or volunteer for a short while to prove your worth before a company hires you. Consider using a registry service or headhunter. Even consider seeking employment in distant cities or states. These are not the most desirable strategies but they do work and eventually land people long-term positions and the experience they are seeking to land future positions.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you all. And don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Desoto, Texas

57 months ago

michelle in Sacramento, California said: i have tried walgreens since i got my license. i also did my externship at a walgreens but there was 5 students including me and they only hired 1 of my fellow classmate. i've tried time and time again, online on walgreens website but to no avail. i'm starting to think that i should apply out of state and move if i get a tech job. i'm desperate now. :(

THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING. CALIFORNIA PAYS MORE THEN TX. SO I'M MOVING BACK OUT THERE. MOST PLACES AROUND RIVERSIDE COUNTY PAY $16-27/HR. AND IT INCLUDES FLEXIBLE SHIFTS AND GREAT BENEFITS WITH 0 TO 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE, OR THEY TRAIN. TYPE IN PHARMACY TECH ON CAREERBUILDER.COM AND YOU'LL SEE SOME OF THE JOBS IN YOUR AREA AND THEIR PAY RATE. YOU COULD ALSO TRY CVS OR A TEMPORARY AGENCY.I GET MY CERTIFICATION AND LICENSE NEXT MONTH AND I HAVE EXPERIENCE IN A HOSPITAL AND NURSING FACILITY AND I'M GOOD AT PHARMACY CALCULATIONS. I SAY TRY CVS, TARGET, RALPHS OR WAL MART AND GO IN PERSON. I KNOW MOST OF THEM HIRE IF YOU HAVE A CERTIFICATION. GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS YOU!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasbir Kaur in Fresno, California

57 months ago

How to get a job as pharmacy technician at walgreens? I dont know anybody. I have finsihed with the online application but no luck. When i visit stores managers seems very cold. Nobody tells if there is any opening or not. According to my understanding i have done well in assessment test. But i am not able to see the results. Please help me get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

singnfreak1 in Bakersfield, California

57 months ago

singnfreak1 in Bakersfield, California said: I feel the same way. I've had my license for about 8 yrs now and have only held a tech job for about 3 of the years. i'm so frustrated with the pharmacy tech job hunting I'm considering appling out of state also.

OH and I have experience. The two of those years were in a hospital. bWhat to do what to do??!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Adriana in Adelanto, California

57 months ago

I recently applied at Walgreens. I passed the skill and assesment test. you have to be persistant another thing try a different walgreens in the area i was trying on all Walgreen in my area until someone said yes I have an interview Wed with district Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Luis Ramirez in Trenton, New Jersey

57 months ago

I am a Physician with more than 20 years of long days and weekend and rotating nights of hard practice,after that and filled all the requirements pensionated in other country. I past my most productive years in emergency and operating rooms. After all of that stressing and exigent laboral formal life I have been treating to work as a Certified Pharmacy Tech in the area since almost 2 years ago. I brought personally application to the same institutions. Even that until today I have not received by any media a courtesy response. I never imagine a world with people with this capacities of thinking and feeling...about the others.656

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Desoto, Texas

57 months ago

Thanks! I'm going to try that too & Congrats!

Joy in Desoto, Texas

57 months ago

Luis Ramirez in Trenton, New Jersey said: I am a Physician with more than 20 years of long days and weekend and rotating nights of hard practice,after that and filled all the requirements pensionated in other country. I past my most productive years in emergency and operating rooms. After all of that stressing and exigent laboral formal life I have been treating to work as a Certified Pharmacy Tech in the area since almost 2 years ago. I brought personally application to the same institutions. Even that until today I have not received by any media a courtesy response. I never imagine a world with people with this capacities of thinking and feeling...about the others.656

My Sociology Professor told me a couple years back that she was a physician. She also tried to get a different job, and they wouldn't hire her. She said it was because the other job would have to pay her more since she has a PHD. So she couldn't get a different job since she has a higher level of education and what not. Its crazy how the economy is and a lot of people can't get any kind of job, even if its minimum wage its still hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.