"Why becoming a certified pharmacy technician is not worth your time"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 157)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

brown_dude34 in Roslindale, Massachusetts

64 months ago

The biggest grip I have with the pharmacy technician field is that its so misleading to people. Most people are sold a bill of goods about this field thinking that once they complete a pharmacy technician training program or course they will have a real rewarding career. However this is not the case. I will tell you why ?

First, let's start off with the definition of a pharmacy technician. I will translate this title so it's easily understood. Pharmacy technician = Pharmacy aide/assistant/slave to the pharmacist on duty, by this I mean you will end up doing the grunt work of a pharmacist.

For example, counting pills, anwsering phones, entering prescription data into the computer, performing drive thru service, stocking the pharmacy with bottles, caps, bags,etc and ringing of the register.

I just outlined the main job duties associated with this field along with standing on your feet for 6 -8 hours a day.

You will deal with sick/angry/rude customers, let me translate another keyword. The word fast-paced environment means high stress, just so you are aware of that catch phrase.

Secondly, lets talk about the salary, thats right the measly salary they want to pay you for all this gruntwork.

Starting salaries:

$9.00 - $10.00 an hour for unexperienced, unlicensed pharmacy technicians

$11.00 - $12.00 an hour for certified/registered pharmacy technicians.

When you really think about it, isn't this what unskilled labor earns and this is without all the paperwork such as sitting for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam and registering with the state you want to practice in.

Think about the salary long and hard, it's under $20.00 an hour with no room for advancement. Trust me you can't raise a family off of pharmacy technician wages.

Nevertheless support yourself without working insane hours. In most states you need to earn at least $15.00 an hour to afford health benefits and barely support yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (501) / No (160) Reply - Report abuse

nick1 in Michigan

61 months ago

I know that this may be a little different because of the category. But the one thing that I have experienced is those who say GPA means something are wrong. Yeah, sure just because your GPA is high that makes a difference. No it doesn't. If anything employers think they know it all and someone who has experience is better. I already have a formal education and a perfect 4.0. But do I get a chance at anything. Nope. Just because I haven't held a certain title or haven't had a chance I don't get a chance. The world is full of favoritism and employers who don't know what their doing when trying to find people for the job. GPA means nothing. If so then I would be doing something because of my 4.0. Just thank God if you get a chance to do anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

hqa035 in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

Hey
I'm a senior in my undergrad in neurobio. and was woundering if anyone would think working as a cert. pharm tech would give me some good experience and help me understand pharmacology, due to the fact that i would like to go to grad school for pharmacology, and other than school lab classes i dont have any experience working in a lab-like enviornment??
thanks for any response

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

katy in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

hqa035 in San Antonio, Texas said: Hey
I'm a senior in my undergrad in neurobio. and was woundering if anyone would think working as a cert. pharm tech would give me some good experience and help me understand pharmacology, due to the fact that i would like to go to grad school for pharmacology, and other than school lab classes i dont have any experience working in a lab-like enviornment??
thanks for any response

I don't think it's gonna help you much. I was thinking the test part of pharmacology section is not well written in ptcb exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Roslindale, Massachusetts

59 months ago

bless in Modesto, California said: I have a question.,@browndude34.. so, i should take the national certification first then apply for state license?

Click on this link below it has more specific information pertaining to the registration requirements of a California based pharmacy technician.

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Aurora, Illinois

58 months ago

Hello! I just gave my certified exam to my students and there was very few math problems on there. Most of was conversions. You need to know what a grain is for sure. It was on there like 3 times.
But the problems I taught in class were more complex then what was on the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Naperville, Illinois

58 months ago

CC in Cleveland, Ohio said: I have a BA degree in Business and I am having horrible luck finding a Full-time job. I am using the pharm tech certification as a foot into the door until I can finish my pre-requsite courses to enter in Pharmacy School to become a pharmacist. Instead of concentrating on becoming a pharmacy tech and letting that be you end all career, I would encourage those that are certified pharm techs to look into becoming pharmacists. There still is a shortage and you can be working towards a greater goal than just settling for just a certification. Think of the bigger picture. The easiest road isn't always the best. I'm learning that the hard way. Stay encouraged and Best of Luck!!

Hi CC-

Thanks for your words of encouragement to all interested pharm techs/ future pharmacists. As far as certification is concerned, Lakeland College just started running a pharmacy technician training program to prepare students for entry level work and certification. If you know of anyone interested in becoming a pharm tech, feel free to forward them to Lakeland College's continuing education department at www.lakelandcc.edu/ce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sarah mrxi in Franklin Park, Illinois

58 months ago

This is a comment for Lakeland in Ohio. I am actually working with Lakeland right now with their pharmacy technician program. They actually might be offering a second class in the future and I am looking to hire an instructor for it. I can hire a pharmacist, a student in their last year of pharmacy school, or a certified pharmacy tech. Let me know if anyone in the Cleveland area is interested in teaching. The pay for a certified tech is $20-28/hour depending on experience. And for a pharmacist $45-47 hour. You can email me your resume at sarah@mrxicorp.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Naboo in Dayton, Ohio

58 months ago

Currently unemployed, ive been kicking around the idea of going to school for Pharmacy Tech for the past couple months. Met with a lady at Kaplin college, and someone at another college.
I stopped in a couple stores yesterday with pharmacies in them and talked to some of the workers. At Meijer, they told me that they never hire in any techs who have went to school. When they need someone to fill a opening they just promote someone from the store itself over to the pharmacy area and train them.
Seriously, after asking around at different pharmacies and talking to people online i feel that this is just not right for me.
So many of these training programs are popping up to train people in new careers, and so many of them are simply scams. Around 3 years ago i went to school for around a year for HVAC, it led to absolutely nothing. Here i have this nice certificate yet no HVAC company will touch me simply because i have no on the job experience. To them experience counts more than school, yet they wont give me a shot because i have no experience. So how is someone suppose to get experience? Its the ultimate catch 22.
My point is that no matter what the career training program is related to, do your homework before you sign on the dotted line and hand some school your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona

58 months ago

Naboo in Dayton, Ohio said: Currently unemployed, ive been kicking around the idea of going to school for Pharmacy Tech for the past couple months. Met with a lady at Kaplin college, and someone at another college.

Don't waste your time going to a pharmacy tech school. Pharmacies would rather hire a tech with experience. People (some, not all) who go to the schools het an attitude that they know a lot more than they really do when they get out and don't end up getting hired. If you are serious about becoming a tech, which I do not recommend, apply at every pharmacy you can. You can get a tech trainee license and then you will have to become certified within 2 years. You will gain a lot of experience in a pharmacy rather than in a classroom, they are such a waste of money!!! You can take a class that will prepare you for the Pharmacy Exam for around $200. Also there are a lot of books online that you can buy, I believe someone else has one listed above. But FYI, the exam changes, there are several versions given at once, there were 8 versions given when I took it! But most of what you need to know will be learned on the job! Best of luck in your future endeavors!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MissTza in Cambridge, Massachusetts

56 months ago

JOEY1296 in Salinas, California said: I HAVE TO DISAGRRE WITH ALOT OF PEOPLE'S NEGATIVITY TOWARDS THE PHARM TECH FIELD, I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T MAKE A CAREER OUT OF IT, BUT FOR A FULL TIME COLLEGE STUDENT WORKING PART TIME, THE MONEY IS BETTER THAN MOST JOBS OFFERED TO COLLEGE STUDENTS WHO NEED FLEXIBLE HOURS. AND AS FOR THE BEST PAYING PHARMACY CHAIN, WALGREENS PAYS THEIR TECHS REALLY WELL, I'M 22, NATIONALLY CERTIFIED, AND I MAKE $18.25 AN HOUR, AND I'VE ONLY BEEN WITH THE COMPANY SINCE '07, WHERE I STARTED OUT AT $11.50, BUT GOT BUMPED UP TO $13.75 ONCE I PASSED MY NATIONAL BOARD TEST. ALSO, THEY PAY FOR YOU TO TAKE THE NATIONAL BOARD TEST, THEY'LL PAY FOR UP TO 3 TRIES, AND THEY PAY FOR YOUR STATE LISCENCE RENEWAL, AND HAVE FREE CE'S (CONTINUING EDUCATION) FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED THE CREDITS FOR YOUR NATIONAL BOARD RENEWAL. AND AS FAR AS PEOPLE FREAKING OUT ABOUT THE NATIONAL BOARD TEST, THAT TEST IS SO SIMPLE IF YOU'VE TAKEN THE CLASS AND DONE SOME EXTERNSHIP HOURS. ALL YOU NEED IS A 650 AND THE GRADING SCALE IS 300-900, SO IN REALITY, YOU NEED TO GET 350 OUT OF A 600 POINT TEST, THATS 58%, THAT'S LESS THAN A "D" BY REGULAR STANDARDS. SERIOUSLY, ITS NOT A BIG DEAL.

Did you go to school for pharmacy tech? If not what book did you study off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mousevaj in Minneapolis, Minnesota

56 months ago

Now I have a question. If I'm unemployed but use to work at a pharmacy as an assistant and want to apply at a pharmacy, but has an expired registration number, how would i go about getting renewed? or does that mean, Im out of luck and shouldn't even consider assistant unless if Im taking classes for it. Please let me know. Prefer via email moe_vang@yahoo.com. Thanks for the help in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Roslindale, Massachusetts

56 months ago

febbaby78 in New Bedford, Massachusetts said: If you work at CVS you would have saved $990.00 by utilyzing the training program.

In couple of weeks providing you have no felony convictions and no pending cases against you should receive your license/registration with the board of pharmacy in your state. Also, if you want to receive I.V certification, enroll in a 1 year program at your local community college, most community colleges have Phlebotomy Certificate programs that will allow you to become I.V certified via their Phlebotomy Certificate program.

Furthermore, try and skip the retail pharmacy technician experience if you can. If you want to get retail experience I would suggest working 1 -2 days a week no more. You should concentrate on gaining hospital experience as a pharmacy technician this is far more valuable, this is also were the money is at and you can accomplish this by arranging a meeting with the volunteer coordinator and the pharmacy manager at your local hospital and explain that your interested in gaining hospital experience.

Volunteer your time for at least 6 months to 1 year and you will gain the knowledge, skills, and experience to pursue other open pharmacy technician positions which actually provide a salary.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Max in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

Hey brown dude, I'm going to a school ($1,100)that has the books and certification test costs included, so Health Training Center in Cambridge, Ma doesn't sound too great because even books, license and the test are included in the community colleges' cost($799-$1300) where I live. I don't even want to make a career out of medicine, I'm just doing this while I go to college because retail sucks because their rules and bureaucracy force you to live like a slave so they can have a high turnover rate(so they can always pay employees minimum wage) and has no employment security whatso ever. I've been laid off twice in retail and fired,(per a flawed point system) one time because I was tardy 6 times (no call offs or absences) over a course of 1 year. In my opinion, you have to take anyone's opinion here with a grain of salt because you have to consider the fact that every place in the USA isn't the same there's dynamics to consider such as cost of living, minimum wage, big cities vs rural areas, availability of jobs, etc. Opinions on here are good but people shouldn't solely depend on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Clueless in Elmhurst, New York

55 months ago

I have to argree with Joey. I also wouldn't make a career out of it, but I'm 20, just got hired at CVS and the pay is good. Also, they pay for your certification and books. Like everyone says, it is a high stress job, but personally I love all that. It's not for everyone. Basically, if you cant deal with medicated people, and this includes druggies, whinny elderly, crazy ladies and their birth control, depressed people of all ages etc etc etc, then don't go in the field. If you don't have patience, if you can't work fast, if you don't like helping people, then don't go into the field. I love my job, and can't wait till I'm certified. I hope to start pharmacy school in the fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

tram pham in Lynnwood, Washington

55 months ago

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Joey in Sacramento, California

55 months ago

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in South Point, Ohio

55 months ago

I have the highest praises for education and certification of the pharmacy technician. The career can be a stepping stone to other rewarding work within the pharmaceutical umbrella. Mail order is a good place to work or specialty. There are advancement opportunities. You can become management and make $100K or more! I am living proof.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bmoss 1508 in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

55 months ago

D'Byrd in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida said: I agree with Andrea, just put down your minimum salary requirements on your application, if they need you bad enough,they'll hire you,otherwise you have nothing to lose.
A thought** Many Nursing Homes use a CMA/CMT "Certified Medication Assistant" With your CPhT you could probably challange the state exam and work as a medication assistant.The job would be far more rewarding as you will actually be giving the patients their meds.Just a thought. I did that while in LPN school and it paid a fair wage.

I make more as a pharmacy tech than i did when i was licensed as a medication aide

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dr Jeff in Jackson, Tennessee

54 months ago

bless in Modesto, California said: I have a question.,@browndude34.. so, i should take the national certification first then apply for state license?

Okay let's quit compaining about being Certified, it is a feather in your cap, and that's it. I am a PharmD but was a tech for 20 year prior to going to Pharmacy school, I passed that exam without help from Kaplan or taking a class, granted I worked in a hospital, but in reality if you are a tech this is your goal, or it should be. I worked in retail as well to start off, then went to hospital and finally to home health, where when I left i was making 22/ hr and that was back in 97. Many people who want to go to pharmacy school, become certified to get into hospital to get hands on experince with emergency drugs.
But don't expect Community Pharmacy to pay you more, when they can pay you less. It is the nature of that beast. There is very little profit to be made behind the counter in pharmacy, and with retail having to pay Pharmacisst 100K+, they have little wiggle room for increases for techs, not when every cashier at WalMart wants to work in the pharmacy.
Technicians play a vital role, and are drastically underpayed, but until SBOP recognize that all Technicians should have an AS + Certs to be back behind the counter, don't exp[ect any changes.
And if you are really unhhappy being a tech, Go back to school. You are in charge of your destiny not some chain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bluestangsue in Tennessee

54 months ago

I have been a Certified Tech since 2003 and a tech for a total of 9 years now. I work for a major retailer (that shall be nameless here, but I think you can figure it out) I make about $2 more per hour than average for this area (thanks to a generous boss and becoming certified when she still had the option of rewarding it with a raise) -and still I barely make enough to support myself.

I cannot imagine any other job in a medical field where having someone's life in your hands (which we do!) pays SO LITTLE for SO MUCH STRESS!!!

THIS JOB IS KILLING MY SOUL!!! I have IBS and depression (as does almost everyone I work with) -sometimes I can't sleep, most times I don't want to get out of bed.

While we have our share of regular customers that are absolute angels- though we have to ignore them anymore when they stop by just to day "hi" -many of our customers are the most rude, ignorant, ungrateful Darwin rejects I have ever seen anywhere!

Multitasking takes on a whole new meaning in Pharmacy- try taking customers prescriptions, making sure they are in the computer and all info up-to-date, typing those prescriptions, troubleshooting insurance problems from 100's of different cards because this is a tourist town, AND answering the CONSTANTLY RINGING telephone ALL AT THE SAME TIME- LITERALLY! -while you have a line of customers n front of you. You cannot accomplish one single task before another is thrown in front of you- and the customers wonder why it takes 1 to 2 hours to fill their meds! -all I just described is JUST AT THE DROP-OFF WINDOW! And now we have 6 telephones throughout the pharmacy- but staffing is so limited we're lucky to have 6 people at one time SO WHO THE ---- IS SUPPOSED TO ANSWER ALL THE PHONES!

Unless you plan to be a Pharmacist (lots of school, same stress, but a lot more money) I would stay away from pharmacy until (if ever) conditions improve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

For the record, the official job code for a pharmacy cashier at Walmart is a lower level than for a front end cashier, even though they have additional training for Pseudoephedrine compliance and other Pharmacy training that has nothing to do with their job. Only a cart pusher makes less.

Hospitals here do not pay more than retail- less in fact (well no one takes experience into account- if you change jobs you're automatically entry level again) so as much as I would like to have the additional experience of working in a hospital setting, it's not going to happen unless I move back in with Mom & Dad (I'm 44 so I'd rather not)

That said, congrats on making it through Pharmacy School- I've just recently begun that long hard road, but one of my supervisors seems hell-bent on making it harder than it needs to be, and I would really rather do something else at this point- I'm just in it for the money and that's the wrong reason, but at my age I thought I should stick with what I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Hey I am actually in Tenn as well, I find it hard to believe that you can't make more at a hospital, not certified. When I left retail back in 88 I went from 4.95/hr to 9.99/hr, by todays standards that isn't great, but back in the day It was pretty good.
Don't let anyone discourage you about going to Pharmacy school, It is worth it. It is hard, and most techs will find their traing only helps them a small bit, but any bit helps. There is nothing wrong with going into a career because of pay! I'm sure when Banker and Investment Bankers were decideing to go to school ,and pick a Major. Money played a part in that as well.
I think you should look into hospital pay rate a bit deeper, they cannot expect someone to work around Chemo and learn Aseptic Technique, if they don't reward them. Maybe it is me, Maybe I have no idea what retail Techs make in Tenn, but when I my Techs in IL made about 7.00/hr. But if you were in Pharmacy school, you were considered an Intern and you were paid 22.00/hr and Pharmacist about 120K /yr, but that was IL not TN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

notalldoomandgloom in Mission Viejo, California said: I think brown_dude34 is painting a worst-case scenario. You have to remember, in some states it's mandatory to become certified in order to go to work, so getting certified is not necessairily a waste of time. Also, not all parts of the country pay the same for the same type of job. Here in California, according to salary.com, most level I pharmacy technicians make a median income of about $33,000.00 a year.

I think it most cases, it is what you make of it. brown_dude34 doesn't sound happy at all, others might be perfectly happy. Possibly a housewife who needs to enter the workforce because it's too hard to live on one income, could find a job as a pharmacy technician part time, afternoons or evenings so that hubby could stay home with the kids, and she can bring in some extra income. BLS indicates the job growth will be strong, you can't say it will be bad in all areas.

I'm sure schooling can be found for less than $3500. I've seen schooling that will prepare you for the PTCE and give you exam prep for less than $900.

You'll get what you look for, guys.

Do you currently work as a Tech?

And what is the cost of living in CA? -I made $26,000 last year in TN, where I'm sure the cost of living is less and make more than most Certified Techs, and I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I can't set anything aside for any kind of emergency- car repairs, medical bills, etc.

I imagine trying to live on $33,000 in CA wouldn't be any better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Yep that about sums it up......
I would add, if your job is making you ill, you really need to lower your stress levels, by finding differnt line of pharmacy, or differnt line of work altogether. It's not worth dying over. Or worse killing someone becasue you are so stressed out you miss something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Dr Jeff in Jackson, Tennessee said: Hey I am actually in Tenn as well, I find it hard to believe that you can't make more at a hospital, not certified. When I left retail back in 88 I went from 4.95/hr to 9.99/hr, by todays standards that isn't great, but back in the day It was pretty good.
Don't let anyone discourage you about going to Pharmacy school, It is worth it. It is hard, and most techs will find their traing only helps them a small bit, but any bit helps. There is nothing wrong with going into a career because of pay! I'm sure when Banker and Investment Bankers were decideing to go to school ,and pick a Major. Money played a part in that as well.
I think you should look into hospital pay rate a bit deeper, they cannot expect someone to work around Chemo and learn Aseptic Technique, if they don't reward them. Maybe it is me, Maybe I have no idea what retail Techs make in Tenn, but when I my Techs in IL made about 7.00/hr. But if you were in Pharmacy school, you were considered an Intern and you were paid 22.00/hr and Pharmacist about 120K /yr, but that was IL not TN

I actually applied at a hospital a few years back- when we got on the topic of salary (I actually requested a bit less than I was making at the time) the interviewer said he had techs there 20 yrs that weren't making that. The average salary for a certified tech in this area with 5-10 yrs experience is app $12.80- barely enough to live on, and the work conditions just keep getting worse. Experience actually counts for nothing- if I were to go to another retail pharmacy, they wouldn't pay me any more than the high school grad off the street. I just pray I survive the stress long enough to get through school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

bluestangsue in Tennessee said: I actually applied at a hospital a few years back- when we got on the topic of salary (I actually requested a bit less than I was making at the time) the interviewer said he had techs there 20 yrs that weren't making that. The average salary for a certified tech in this area with 5-10 yrs experience is app $12.80- barely enough to live on, and the work conditions just keep getting worse. Experience actually counts for nothing- if I were to go to another retail pharmacy, they wouldn't pay me any more than the high school grad off the street. I just pray I survive the stress long enough to get through school.

PS- I'm only just starting on my Bachelor's (which more and more pharmacy schools are now requiring for entry) -so I have a long long way to go yet, but thatnks for the encouragement. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I guess TN still pays Techs pretty bad, When I left Hospital back in 1994 I was make just under 15.00, then I went to Homehealth where I was paid 17.00. So I can understand your frustration.
Yes most Pharmacy School are requiring a BS before Acceptance. ACPE is considering making A BS a reqquirement, just as many state including IL are making CPhT a requirment. Besides who know what will happen in 4 years, you may decide on something else. Right now Pharmacist are in need, but the supply coming out of school is begining to far outweigh demand. That along with the economy being in the crapper, and so many pharmacist 401K's tanking, and deciding to continue to work, instead of retiring. Tn will have 4-5 Pharmacy schools in the next few years. That a shock to the market. So be careful on your major

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mom of 5 in Shoemakersville, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I am going to Kaplan University. I have talked to the pharmacist at the local CVS who told me there is much better money involved if you can work in a hospital pharmacy. I still don't know if I should have done this. I'm working in an unrewarding job now for 10 bucks an hour. At least it would be more gratifying for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rose 23 in Dumfries, Virginia

51 months ago

Hi, I am looking for the best book to study for the PTCB test. The one provided on this forum which is Delmar's Pharmacy Tech Certfication exam by Patricia k Anthony HAS VERY BAD REVIEWS and everybody angrees that it is full of math errors.
Does anybody knows if there is any better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pookie5353 in Indiana

51 months ago

mewhomustnotbenamed in Modesto, California said: Try Mosby's Pharm Tech Review by James Mizner.

I agree. There are a few mistakes but you still can learn a lot. I also like R/exam by Manan Shroff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shea in Sun City, California

49 months ago

okay I have a question. I'm going into job corps (It's a program that pays for your schooling if you're wondering) to become a pharmact tech. However, I'm hearing a lot of bad information on it and this thread isn't helping me feel better about it. Anyway my question is. IF I do go into this and finnish the program what would be the road to becoming a licensed pharmacist after becoming a pharmacy technition?

cra23

48 months ago

Who ever wrote this is an idiot!! The Pharmacy Tech field is expanding and it is a very rewarding career. I did it through college and loved it! I had to relocate because of Hurricane Katrina and because of my training I was able to immediately find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kristie in Westminster, California

48 months ago

cra23 said: Who ever wrote this is an idiot!! The Pharmacy Tech field is expanding and it is a very rewarding career. I did it through college and loved it! I had to relocate because of Hurricane Katrina and because of my training I was able to immediately find a job.

How can it be expanding when they're already bringing in robots that can dispense the top 100 medications?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

star415 in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

i would like to share my experience with everyone, if i can remember all the details... i received my license when i was 21 or 22yo i think the year 2004.I graduated at Bryman with a fat loan left to pay for like 12-13 thousand dollars almost. It was very hard for me to find a job who would hire me... So, I would work anywhere to gain and keep up with my work experience in any position or field. Ive learn that anywhere you work, its good to have reference and important... but anyhow, i received 2 phone calls one from safeway, which wanted to hire me, then walgreens called to hire me also... i used my common sense and of course choose Walgreens... they are pharmacy before they are store... other than safeway is a grocery store before they are a pharmacy.. right?
I started off at a very busy Walgreen which was located in a low income residency area... so you can only imagine my life there as a tech and the type of training there was learn as you go... ive work under a lot of stress, but was able to over come it by knowing and exercising my mind... taking the initiative on handling all sort of situation, when it came to insurance billing issue from medical, to medicare, to blue cross to hnet, etc.. the pharmacy world is interesting once you understand how it work. and how you learn how to take control of situation and work flow.. dont turn into a robot, stay in control...
Anyways, i always stayed positive and stayed in control and provided great costumer service that who would have known UCSF hospital ask me to come in for an interview and that they had a perfect position waiting for me... They wanted me due to my knowlegde of medical billing, PAs, TARS, SARs, etc... I handle it all at my store... its important for you young folks out there to start to develope some work ethics... you have to want! dont be lazy and just complain and complain fix it! solve it! shoot your getting paid while working you might as learn all sides to the problem... right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

i ran out of room... but to make the long story short from Walgreen of 39k to Hospital 52k, ive completed 4 years in the pharmaceutical services... and since i dont have a BA to pursue Pharmaceutical sale rep. I will soon have 5 years which will meet the requirements... and in the mean time, im learning everyday and also pursuing a computer technician certificate... i hope this help everyone... oh and if your 18 or 19 reading this... from would i learn if i can take back....? i would have went to school all the way with a degree in PharmD ... but im getting old now being an Adult is hard and expensive.. =) good luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

ptcb_tutor@yahoo.com in Danville, California

48 months ago

JOEY1296 in Salinas, California said: I HAVE TO DISAGRRE WITH ALOT OF PEOPLE'S NEGATIVITY TOWARDS THE PHARM TECH FIELD, I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T MAKE A CAREER OUT OF IT, BUT FOR A FULL TIME COLLEGE STUDENT WORKING PART TIME, THE MONEY IS BETTER THAN MOST JOBS OFFERED TO COLLEGE STUDENTS WHO NEED FLEXIBLE HOURS. AND AS FOR THE BEST PAYING PHARMACY CHAIN, WALGREENS PAYS THEIR TECHS REALLY WELL, I'M 22, NATIONALLY CERTIFIED, AND I MAKE $18.25 AN HOUR, AND I'VE ONLY BEEN WITH THE COMPANY SINCE '07, WHERE I STARTED OUT AT $11.50, BUT GOT BUMPED UP TO $13.75 ONCE I PASSED MY NATIONAL BOARD TEST. ALSO, THEY PAY FOR YOU TO TAKE THE NATIONAL BOARD TEST, THEY'LL PAY FOR UP TO 3 TRIES, AND THEY PAY FOR YOUR STATE LISCENCE RENEWAL, AND HAVE FREE CE'S (CONTINUING EDUCATION) FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED THE CREDITS FOR YOUR NATIONAL BOARD RENEWAL. AND AS FAR AS PEOPLE FREAKING OUT ABOUT THE NATIONAL BOARD TEST, THAT TEST IS SO SIMPLE IF YOU'VE TAKEN THE CLASS AND DONE SOME EXTERNSHIP HOURS. ALL YOU NEED IS A 650 AND THE GRADING SCALE IS 300-900, SO IN REALITY, YOU NEED TO GET 350 OUT OF A 600 POINT TEST, THATS 58%, THAT'S LESS THAN A "D" BY REGULAR STANDARDS. SERIOUSLY, ITS NOT A BIG DEAL.

Thank you!! Well said!
I have been a tech for 24 years. You have to want to be tech. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

kittykat1 in Connecticut

47 months ago

@pharmacydoc: i actually don't think everyone who passed the PTCB exam thinks getting into and through pharmacy school or getting a job as a pharmacy technician is a breeze (far from it, in fact). now,you're opinion stated about becoming certified not being worth anything, and you seeming to be well versed in the field, do you have any advice for those of us who are genuinely serious about pursuing careers as pharmacy technicians on how to get our feet in the door? in other words, how does one gain experience without experience? it's a huge catch-22 in this field i know.

i think the frustration found by a lot of certified techs (myself included) who can't find work stems not from being passed up for people with experience (which is fair and understandable) but rather when we see people who've gotten behind the pharmacy counter by sheer luck and don't take the profession seriously (and i've seen that a lot).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

PharmacyDoc in Nashua, New Hampshire

47 months ago

@kittykat1: I didn't say everyone, but you would be surprised at the number of techs that I (and other RPh's I know) have come across that really do think that because they are good at being a retail tech it means they would be able to hack it as a pharmacists. This is usually a topic of discussion at RPh events and get togethers. In my experience, I have only met one tech who was able to go on to pharmacy school, and the reality of that situation was that she was took a year off after high school to figure out what she wanted to do and was working as a tech but she was also an excellent student in high school and would have gotten in to pharmacy school had she applied to go right out of high school. I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations that working as a tech is a great stepping stone to becoming a pharmacist because unless you have the academics, PCAT scores, recommendations etc... to back it up your not going to get in. The schools do not consider working as a tech full time and passing a PTCB to be indicative of future success in pharmacy and rightfully so. You obviously realize that pharmacy school is no joke, but really there are many people who do think it is. I had one tech tell me that she learned more than pharmacists do in an 8 week course she took!

Now about being certified, the certification itself is a good thing. I would encourage you maintain your CPhT and anyone else who wanted to become a tech to take the exam. What I was saying is worthless are those schools that are out there that will teach you to become a technician (like the ads on tv: become a pharmacy technician). I will not hire anyone out of those schools. Like I said before I think they make techs dangerous, now this depends on the tech, but you really don't know until you work the person and it is really hard to fire someone so I just stay away. If you did go to one of those schools and your applying to a retail store and haven't had luck yet, maybe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

PharmacyDoc in Nashua, New Hampshire

47 months ago

Sorry I ran out of room
So, maybe try leaving it off once and see what happens. As far as experience, everywhere is different, I preferred to hire without experience because I like things done a certain way and this way I can train them from the beginning and I don't have to constantly hear at XYZ Pharmacy we did it this way. If you do get an interview and you don't have an experience things that a pharmacist wants to hear are fast learner, people person, flexible schedule (but you have to mean it), detail oriented, follow directions well, ability to deal with difficult people or situations, efficient worker. What you basically want to project to them more than anything is that you will be able to catch on quickly and once you know what you are doing you will be quick and efficient, while making minimal errors and still be smiling while the sky is falling during 5pm rush hours. For hospital I'm not sure, I don't have much experience there, even for RPh's it's tough to get into, they want experience as well, so what most RPh's I know do is just wait until there is an opening and the hospital is desperate enough to hire someone without experience. There are other things too if your a CPhT these are insurance companies that hire techs, long-term care facilities, home infusion companies, so you may want to find out what is in your area and send out your resume. Do you have any independent pharmacies left around where you are? If you can go in on a day the owner is there you may be able to talk to him/her for a few minutes (find out what days he's there and when its not too busy)and maybe they will take your resume and keep it on file even if they aren't hiring at that time. I always hear good things about independents, better hours, better management, usually some compounding. Who knows maybe they would even let you work a few hours a week (no pay) just to get some experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

kittykat1 in Connecticut

47 months ago

thanks for the advice, very informative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I would also like to add on some important points and advice for people that have a negative out-look on pharmacy technician schools. One I do agree that pharmacy tech schools are over price, but you definelty get what you pay for, but there other school that offer the same programs and you pay a lot less so do the research... I think importantly when it time to do your intern or externship that you give a good impression, this is where you gain, on hand real life experiences. Keep in your mind that this is your golden opportunity to shine and to futher your education. Once recognized by management, whether it be your work ethics, flexibility, character, work performance, etc... you might be asked a position at the end of your intern or recommendation somewhere else. Leaving with a good impression and using reference matters a lot. So start with a good attitude and leave with one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blah* in Winston Salem, North Carolina

47 months ago

I just took my certification exam today! Passed, but of course, im not getting a raise or anything. I am still below $8.40 that is supposed to be the lowest amount of pay after working for a year. I have been there for 3 years. The pay is ridiculous. 4 people hired after me are getting 30 cents more than me and I'M CERTIFIED. CVS is bull. Walgreens, (i inquired surrounding stores) are starting off around $13.00 dollars... But they aren't hiring. You do ALL,I mean, ALL of the hard grunt work that the 1st blogger mentioned. This work field is NOT worth it. The only reason i got certified was 1) It is free the first time, and 2) it helps me get into the RN program at school. Decide loooong and haaard about pursuing a career as a pharm tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kittykat1 in Connecticut

47 months ago

Blah* in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I just took my certification exam today! Passed, but of course, im not getting a raise or anything. I am still below $8.40 that is supposed to be the lowest amount of pay after working for a year. I have been there for 3 years. The pay is ridiculous. 4 people hired after me are getting 30 cents more than me and I'M CERTIFIED. CVS is bull. Walgreens, (i inquired surrounding stores) are starting off around $13.00 dollars... But they aren't hiring. You do ALL,I mean, ALL of the hard grunt work that the 1st blogger mentioned. This work field is NOT worth it. The only reason i got certified was 1) It is free the first time, and 2) it helps me get into the RN program at school. Decide loooong and haaard about pursuing a career as a pharm tech.

how did it happen that 4 people who were hired after you are getting paid more than you? are they certified too? do they have more experience? if neither are true then that's a little strange.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cricket

47 months ago

I WOULD NOT WORK FOR CVS PERIOD. THEY TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP, NO MONEY, NO BREAKS JUST THREATS ALL THE TIME. I WAS JUST FIRED UNJUSTLY AFTER OVER 4 YEARS OF WORKING MY BUTT OFF FOR THEM BUT THEN AGAIN I ALSO HAVE A WORKERS COMPENSATION LAW SUIT GOING WITH THEM. WOW I WONDER WHY I WAS FIRED. I WAS WARNED BY SOMEONE IN MY STORE "YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED IF YOU HAVE A WORKERS COMP CASE GOING AND BOY WAS SHE RIGHT" STAY AWAY STAY FAR AWAY FROM CVS. BY THE WAY AFTER OVER 4 YEARS ONLY MADE $9.65 AN HOUR ISN'T THAT A SHAME FOR BUSTING YOUR AS- 9 HOURS A DAY WHILE THE DUMB AS- PHARMACIST IS MAKING OVER $120,00.00 A YEAR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dumb as Pharmacist in Martin, Tennessee

47 months ago

If it weren't for the dumb as _ Pharmacist you wouldn't have a job Spunky! Keep that in Mind Einstein. It'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

bluestangsue66 in Seymour, Tennessee

47 months ago

they may have been hired at a higher rate just to get some warm bodies in, while the dedicated worker is still stuck in the old hiring bracket of pay (like when the minimum wage changes and some people get adjustments and others don't) For the record I looked at working for Walgreens and was told that the starting pay was $8/hr regardless of the fact that I have worked in pharmacy for 10 yrs now and been certified for 9- and a HS grad off the street would be hired at the same rate. This is one of the most underappreciated career fields anywhere- the retail industry at least doesn't really care if we know anything about the meds, we're just counting monkeys- yet the laws are shifting to put more responsibility on techs for errors and less on pharmacists whose job it is to know everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SOON TO BE P1 in Silver Spring, Maryland

46 months ago

I have worked in the industry for 7yrs. I only became certified because the state that I work in has requrired it. This field is great for college students I worked as a tech for nursing school and undergrad pre-pahrmacy. I love pharmacy and will be persuing a Pharm D. soon. Either role can become the slave!!! The techs fill, ring the register, input and answer the phone. But the pharmacist has to count the schedule 2 narcs that we cant fill. Transfer rx's and take phone in Dr. rx's in between patient consults. Not to mention that they have sole responsiblity for any errors that the tech makes! The salary for a pharmacist is well earned. The company that I'm employed by pays well but I didnt walk into this job right away. Everyone has to pay their dues and that good job will come. I have been told by pharmacist that they could not have made it through that day had a good tech not been on their shift. The same is vice versa so. IF YOU THINK NEGATIVE YOU GET NEGATIVE RESULTS!!!! YOU WANT MORE MONEY STOP THINKING OF YOURSELF AS A SLAVE BECAUSE YOUR EARNING YOUR WORTH!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MsToofish in Cleveland, Ohio

45 months ago

Iworked in manufactering for 8yrs and made 12.31hr the company moved to Atlanta and i decided to make a change so i went to school for pharmacy tech recieved a 3.75 and i am certified can't get a decent payrate due to no experience in the field I am currently making 8.25hr i am so depressed and feel no prestigue in this field i can go back to manufactering and start off making 11hr or 13hr due to all the experience i have plus i have the school loan to payback pharmacy technician is not exciting or a challenge it really was a waste of time

MsToofish in Cleveland, Ohio

45 months ago

worked in manufactering for 8yrs and made 12.31hr the company moved to Atlanta and i decided to make a change so i went to school for pharmacy tech recieved a 3.75 and i am certified can't get a decent payrate due to no experience in the field I am currently making 8.25hr i am so depressed and feel no prestigue in this field i can go back to manufactering and start off making 11hr or 13hr due to all the experience i have plus i have the school loan to payback pharmacy technician is not exciting or a challenge it really was a waste of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.