"How to become a certified/registered pharmacy technician in a short amount of time"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 216)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

lizzy in Franklin, Tennessee

63 months ago

james yohanez in phoenix, Arizona said: Enroll online pharmacy technician course which enables you to study at own paced. You can finish as early as less than 3 months if you want. Why wasting time with sitting in the class? Take online course! www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

I agree online course are self paced and much faster!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

moi in Bloomfield, New Jersey

62 months ago

hello

i am confused as to how much do pharmacy technicians make...please help.

i have looked at various website and i am getting 2 different figures.

thank you sooo much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

T.R. in Brandon, Mississippi

61 months ago

btmt in Chicago, Illinois said: why don't you just become a clerk the pay is better.

I started as a clerk and the pay was a minimum wage. I work in a hospital pharmacy after becoming certified and gaining experience and make 15.00 an hour on seven days off seven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Sba in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Claudia C., It depends on your state law. Check your state's Board of Pharmacy's website. In Texas, you are not required to have an associates degree and you can still study & test on your own. Texas recognizes the PTCB test and then you have to register with the state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sba in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

It depends on who is doing the hiring and if they really need to fill the position.
It is a good career-path to take and as long as there is health-care.. there will always be a pharmacy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Claudia C in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

Christine in San Jose, CA in Los Gatos, California said: Claudia in Monterey Park, CA - I read the requirements for Pharm Tech in CA (California Business and Professions Code section 4202). To be qualify for a Pharm Tech, you only need to meet 1 of the 4 method you mentioned. So study and be certified (i.e get the license) and you're on your way to be a Pharm Tech. Good luck!

Thanks... were did you get this information from.....

: )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Los Gatos, California

58 months ago

Claudia C in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks... were did you get this information from.....

: )

Here is the link

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

3. QUALIFYING METHOD - Your method would be obtaining the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Gilroy, California

57 months ago

Hope this helps! Page 114 - Pharmacy Tech. It also has a phone # in case you have questions.

www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/professions/publications/documents/credreqs.pdf

I also found this in www.wsparx.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=7

Certification in WA:
January 1, 2009, applicants for first-time pharmacy technician (PT) credential will have new requirements. The Board of Pharmacy adopted rules to require PT applicants to pass a board-approved national standardized exam. Individuals issued a pharmacy technician credential before 2009 will not need to meet the new standards. All PT applicants will still need to complete a pharmacy technician training program approved by the board.

Check them out. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

limavic in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said: So you want to become a pharmacy technician. Well, if you are real smart you don't need to spend thousands of dollars( in this economy save your money, trust me you will need it we are in the Greater Depression of 2009, millions of people will soon be out of work) on a pharmacy technician course( a pharmacy technician course will not make you a better candidate for the pharmacy technician job) all you have to do is buy one book that is modeled on the PTCB.org National Certification Test,(tho goal is to find a book that covers all the material(from pharmacy law to solving complex calculations) on the National PTCB test at www.ptcb.org .

Step One:

Buy the book Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review (Paperback)
by Patricia K. Anthony

Step Two:

Once, you receive the book it's modeled right after the National Pharmacy Technician Exam at www.ptcb.org . Study a chapter each night, for 3 -4 months straight. It's very similar to studying for the SAT test in highschool

Step Three:

Register to take the test at www.ptcb.org
If you study this book for 3 - 4 months and do the practice problems you are guaranteed to pass on the 1st try or 2nd try.

Step Four:

Once you pass the national ptcb test you are now certified pharmacy technician. According to the rules of most states.
You now have to register with your individual state. Which usually consist of filling out a form, including a picture, and getting the form notorized by a notory public.( all banks have a at least one notory public on staff).

Step Five:

"How do I get experience as a pharmacy technician because no one will hire me ?"

Sorry, no experience as a fresh pharmacy technician means you are going to have to volunteer at least 2 years of your time at a local hospital before they even consider hiring you.

what websit do you use for the registration after you have passed the ptcb exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Roslindale, Massachusetts

57 months ago

limavic in Chicago, Illinois said: what websit do you use for the registration after you have passed the ptcb exam

www.idfpr.com/DPR/WHO/PHAR.ASP
-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech1974 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Actually I did attend a pharmacy technician certificate program at my local community college and I do, in fact, recommend that someone should possibly pursue that direction based on the fact that if you were to just go buy the book and take the certification exam, you miss out on the hands-on experience that could possibly give you an advantage over someone who just received the certification;however,if you currently have the experience from working in a retail or hospital pharmacy, it would benefit you more just by studying for the exam yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech1974 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

brown_dude_CPhT in Roslindale, Massachusetts said: The best advice I can give you is google jobs that pay above $20.00 an hour and train for one. This career path is not worth all the time and money you will invest. Seriously, you will thank me for this one day. According, to where you posted from I assume you live in California. I know living costs are high in that state.

Pharmacy technician = “a low paying, stressful job”. I know this because I am a certified pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts. Currently, in the process of returning to school to train for another occupation.

In Boston, MA the pay rates starts at $10.00 an hour, security guards in my state minus the license, registration, exam costs and other fees make more than pharmacy technicians and have less stress.

-Good Luck

As with any career/job, make sure you are actually going to enjoy the job itself before dedicating your life to it. Anyone with enough brains could go to school for a high paying job but you're going to have to like the job in order to be happy with it.Would a salesman by nature really enjoy being a doctor? Probably not. So spend time evaluating yourself to see what suits you best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Boston, Massachusetts

56 months ago

limavic in Chicago, Illinois said: what websit do you use for the registration after you have passed the ptcb exam

Check with your state board of pharmacy concerning the requirements to register as a pharmacy technician within your state. It looks like you are in Chicago so click the link below for further information.

www.idfpr.com/DPR/WHO/PHAR.ASP

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Sorry - but if you live in Florida - the law has changed! (Section 465 Florida Statutes and Rule 64B16 Florida Administrative Code)

YOU MUST REGISTER WITH THE FLORIDA BOARD OF PHARMACY BY JAN. 2010 IN ORDER TO PRACTICE / WORK IN ANY PHARMACY (Retail: CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc.; Mail Order: PharMerica, Medco Health, etc.; Hospitals; Clinics)
you may submit application online: ww2.doh.state.fl.us/DOHInitialApp/login.aspx

To view FAQ - you may visit: www.fshp.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=333

Summary of Requirements:
A. 1500 hours Work Experience OR Diploma from Board Approved Training Program (www.concorde.edu)

B. You must be currently Certified by the PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board - www.ptcb.org - CPhT must be current and not expired)

C. Initial Application Fee $105.00

Board approved Pharmacy Technician Degree programs offered by Institutes, Colleges, Universities, and/or Vocational Schools are NOT scams. However, as a Pharmacy Technician Instructor, I encourage future students to research Accreditations obtained by educational institutions prior to enrollment (www.acpe-accredit.org/technicians/accredit.asp)

Shwin in Tempe, Arizona said: I totally agree. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on some institute. If you are intelligent enough to pass high school. Then with some effort you can self-study and pass PTCB as well. The institutes are frankly a scam.

I am selling my books; see this thread for more details: www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacy-technician/self-studied-passed-want-sell-my-books/t176923

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Sorry - but if you live in Florida - the law has changed! YOU MUST REGISTER WITH THE FLORIDA BOARD OF PHARMACY BY JAN. 2010 IN ORDER TO PRACTICE / WORK IN ANY PHARMACY (Retail: CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc.; Mail Order: PharMerica, Medco Health, etc.; Hospitals; Clinics) you may submit application online: ww2.doh.state.fl.us/DOHInitialApp/login.aspx

To view FAQ - you may visit: www.fshp.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=333

Summary of Requirements:
A. 1500 hours Work Experience OR Diploma from Board Approved Training Program (www.concorde.edu)

B. You must be currently Certified by the PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board - www.ptcb.org - CPhT must be current and not expired)

C. Initial Application Fee $105.00

Board approved Pharmacy Technician Degree programs offered by Institutes, Colleges, Universities, and/or Vocational Schools are NOT scams. However, as a Pharmacy Technician Instructor, I encourage future students to research Accreditations obtained by educational institutions prior to enrollment (www.acpe-accredit.org/technicians/accredit.asp)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brandi in Spring, Texas

55 months ago

moi in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: hello

i am confused as to how much do pharmacy technicians make...please help.

i have looked at various website and i am getting 2 different figures.

thank you sooo much

it depends what field of pharmacy you work in. If you are in a retail pharmacy, you should not expect more than $12.00 at the highest (in the houston area).

if you go into a hospital setting, which I love! it will be a little more. If you are looking to make good money in the pharmacy tech world, you need to pay your dues at a retail and hospital pharmacy and try and gain all the knowledge you can and then seek a speciality job... such as a PBM or some type of administration. Speciality type of setting will be $20.00 per hour plus!

Hope this helps! I did just what I mentioned above, and now I have a great job with wonderful benefits and leadership and really good pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bricherie in Nashville, Tennessee

54 months ago

I started off as a cashier for a pharmacy, They trained me to become a tech and I got my license. All the knowledge is just plain stimulating really.
After six months a crisis happened to where I had to quit my job. Trying to get another pharmacy to even look at me was impossible without a Cirt, a license was just not good enough.
So I found a job in regular retail. I've been beating myself up because the lack knowledge in anything! (really you wouldn't believe!)
I've been reading the above discussion forms and have decided to just buy the book and get the Cirt bymyself. (bad idea, or good?) My question is do you think it's necessary to take an extra few classes or what not? Do they even help you get the certification?
Do they actually teach you more about the medications and prepare you? How does the exam effectively prepare you if I were to do it alone? what does it entail?

It may help in some cases yes, or it may be unnecessary. Can I get just a few more pros & Cons please.
(not sure classes are required in my state if I could do it with my license from the beginning with nothing)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in West Roxbury, Massachusetts

54 months ago

In most retail pharmacies such as a CVS/Pharmacy, Walgreen’s, etc its common for them to train their cashiers to fill the open positions as pharmacy technicians within a retail pharmacy. In most cases most front store cashiers probably make $1.00 less than their pharmacy technician counterparts. However, the real opportunities for pharmacy technicians are in the hospital setting and not in the retail setting.

That’s the biggest problem for most newbie pharmacy technicians to comprehend. Becoming certified and having pharmacy technician experience within a hospital setting is critical when it comes to working in a hospital pharmacy setting. Certification will be a requirement in some states as of 2010 in order to work as a pharmacy technician such as Florida. Check with your local state board of pharmacy for more specifics.

Most certified pharmacy technicians, who do not possess pharmacy technician experience within a hospital setting usually, obtain this by volunteering within the hospital pharmacy. The majority of hospital pharmacies will not hire you without pharmacy technician certification and having at least 1 – 2 years of hospital pharmacy technician experience.

Also, the starting wages and benefits for a hospital pharmacy technician are much better than retail. Unfortunately, this is the sad reality of this profession. You don’t need to take anymore classes for this profession because most of the training will be on the job. You just have to pass the national PTCE Exam in order to become certified. If you sign up for a pharmacy technician course unless it awards an associate degree with transferable college credits it’s not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in West Roxbury, Massachusetts

54 months ago

The pharmacy technician course that you are considering taking will just be an introduction to the pharmacy technician career field that’s about it. They don’t teach you anymore than you can learn by yourself by opening a book specifically geared to passing the national pharmacy technician certification exam and studying for it. The book I used to pass the exam was Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review by Patricia K. Anthony you can find a free preview of the book on Google books by clicking the link provided below.

books.google.com/books?id=fhd2Q8ANlZAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=delmar's+pharmacy+technician+certification+exam+review&cd=1#v=onepage&q=delmar's%20pharmacy%20technician%20certification%20exam%20review&f=false

Retail pharmacy and hospital pharmacy are two very different paths to take when becoming a pharmacy technician. I would advise you to stay away from the retail pharmacy environment. Due to the fact that there is a lot of potential for abuse specifically from rude customers and pharmacists who are self absorbed and under the delusion they are human Gods because they possess a Pharm.D degree.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joel B. in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

Anyone who wants to be a Pharmacist Technician in California should try Harbor Occupational Center in San Pedro. If you do it full time you finish in about 4 months. You pay less than 1,000 dollars including to get your liscense,uniform,books.. I have two other friends that have tried it and already have jobs at a Walgreens and get paid 13.95 an hour. They are on a waiting list for a hospital & that starts you at 20 dollars an hour.. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fedup13 in Middleburg, Florida

54 months ago

Whatever you do, do not go to Gulf Coast

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

54 months ago

are you talking about florida gulf coast university? i was looking into another program from that school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pgalicki in Sugar Land, Texas

53 months ago

Do you think a registered nurse would be able to pass the exam without studying?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

pgalicki in Sugar Land, Texas said: Do you think a registered nurse would be able to pass the exam without studying?

The best advice I can give is never, never, never go into any examination facility without being prepared for the examination or else you are just wasting your valuable time and money.

I am strongly for researching any examination thoroughly and finding the right study materials to prepare you for successful passing any standardized examination. For every exam there is usually a comprehensive book that has been written to prepare exam takers for this task.

You just have to know were to find the correct study materials and this can take a lot of trial and error and the study materials that worked for me might not work for you. Each individual’s approach to preparing for this exam is different. Last time I checked the fee for the national pharmacy technician certification exam (PTCE) was $129.00 U.S and in this economy that’s a lot of money to throw away due to poor preparation for the exam. For more info on this exam click here:www.ptcb.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Help&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3051#Pharmacy_Exam

In conclusion, because you are an R.N doesn’t necessarily mean you will pass the national PTCE on your first attempt. Do not take this examination without studying for it. Make sure you know what material is covered on the examination, find a book/program that comprehensively covers the examination, study for it and then go sit for the exam.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lingo in Waterford, Michigan

51 months ago

Do you think that the automated robotic dispenser will take over pharmacy techs position and or jobs? Why or Why not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Lingo in Waterford, Michigan said: Do you think that the automated robotic dispenser will take over pharmacy techs position and or jobs? Why or Why not?

No, I don’t think the automated pharmacy dispensing systems currently in use such as ScriptPro will replace the pharmacy technicians anytime soon, unless some company specifically designs some kind of artificial intelligence pharmacy system that is able to fill itself and authenticate prescriptions accurately without human assistance.

We are still a long way from an advanced artificial intelligent pharmacy dispensing system which completely phases out the human resource. However, pharmacy technicians will still be needed to perform the grunt work, by this I mean filling the automated pill dispenser bins manually, cleaning the machines, replacing the prescription labels within the machine, etc.

Nevertheless some pharmacist’s may consider some task’s within the pharmacy too menial and time consuming , such as answering the phones, ringing the cash register, manually entering prescriptions into the computer system and might rely on the pharmacy technician’s to perform those tasks.

Moreover, due to advances in technology retail pharmacy is changing from a more peopled retail pharmacy environment to an automated store as human resources are being phased out and replaced by smart registers, self check-out, etc where you the customer ring your own transactions and swipe a credit card for payment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

It’s only a matter of time before customers walk into a pharmacy and an advanced interactive computer system will process your prescriptions, but that’s probably at least 15 – 20 years down the line. Furthermore machines are not perfect they tend to break down frequently and they don’t stock their pill dispensers bins by themselves so you will always need individuals to service the machines as well as manually clean automated pill dispensers.

I worked at a CVS/Pharmacy that featured a ScriptPro automated pill dispenser machine which allowed the pharmacy to speed up the process of prescriptions. By this I mean the pharmacy technicians assisted the processing of 600 – 1000 prescriptions daily and had it not been for the ScriptPro machine the prescriptions coming into the pharmacy would have been backed up beyond belief.

ScriptPro definitely smoothed the efficiency of the pharmacy to process so many prescriptions on a day to day basis. So in this situation pharmacy technicians will always be needed to perform the menial tasks within a retail pharmacy as the pharmacist’s role will shift to an emphasis on accurate prescription verification, counseling the customers/patients in regards to the proper use of the medication, designing a regime for effective medication usage.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I appreciate it THANKS ALOT that just made my day because i will be entering the pharmacy tech program in the fall its a 2 yr. program and i want to work as a pharmacy tech while in college for at least 5 yrs until i get a associates degree or bigger THANKS again brown_dude_CPhT in Boston, Massachusetts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick Lasica in Mesa, Arizona

51 months ago

This website is full of great information retaining to Pharmacy Technicians. I am going to buy the book, teach myself and get certified. Currently I work in a hospital volunteering in the Out-Patient Pharmacy and it's a blast! I am attending the University of Arizona to obtain my doctorate in Pharmacy. This university is known as one of the best when it comes to the field of Pharmacy. If anyone has any questions about becoming a Pharmacist through the University of Arizona, just post here and I will respond to the best of my knowledge!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Stone Mountain, Georgia

51 months ago

i just wanted to say pharmacy techs are worth alot more then the low pay b.s. i have went to diff forums, i live in GA when you go for surgical tech training here in GA right after you get out of school. you only make $13.00 buck an hour here. let me give ya'll guys the run down!!! THIS IS STARTING PAY IN GA ....< SURGICAL TECH... $13.00> <DENTAL AND ORTHODONTIC ASSISTANT BETWEEN $14.00 AND 15.00>...< DIALYSIS TECH $ BETWEEN $11.00 AND $12.00>....<PHLEBOTOMIST TECH $11.00> PHARMACY TECH BETWEEN $9.00 AND $14.00> ..<MEDICAL ASSISTANT $12.00>....<PATIENT CARE TECH..$ 11.00> I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW HOW LOW THE PAY IS FRO THESE CAREERS .. IF YOUR'E IN THESE CAREERS MAKE A STAND ASK FOR MORE MONEY !!! THESE JOBS COMING RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL SHOULD PAY $15.00 ABOVE!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pgalicki in Sugar Land, Texas

51 months ago

Kristen in GA: the reason the pay for these jobs is what it is, is because they don't require much education or skill to do them. phlebotmist pays $11.00/hr? well, physicians make in the 6 figures per year. There is a HUGE difference in the educations of a phlebotomist and an MD. Same goes for a pharmacy tech vs a pharmacist. a dental assistant vs a dentist, etc etc.

If you want to make more money, get more education. Become a pharmacist instead of a pharmacy tech. Become a nurse instead of a phlebotomist. Become a dental hygienist instead of a dental assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

you got that right kristen in Stone Mountain, Georgia!!!I wish it was that easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I appreciate it and i wish you the best of Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Duluth, Georgia

51 months ago

here in GA the pay is bad for pharmacy techs , dental and orthoodntic assistant, surgical tech and etc..... to low here then most states

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

PharmTech in Kerman, California

50 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said: Pharmacy Technicians without certification make: $9.00 - $10.00 starting out

Certified Pharmacy Technicians make: $11.00 - $13.00 an hour starting out

In a retail pharmacy environment such as CVS/Pharmacy, Walgreens, Rite Aid the pay is low expect $9.00 - $11.00 depending on the credentials you have.

You become a Certified Pharmacy Technician by passing the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam at www.ptcb.org

-Good Luck

Sorry but that is not rite at all! I started at CVS at $15.00 ok so take it from me you get paid good money! And that is my 1st job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PharmTech in Kerman, California

50 months ago

Wtf i'm a Pharmacy Tech so I know! So yeah i'm pretty sure i know what i'm talking about! N i'm going to school for my PhD so I have no time to go to your little work office! Lmfao Thanks though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Norcross, Georgia

50 months ago

lmao...pqalicki WANT U TELL A PTECH ARE A SURGICAL TECH ..ECT THEY SHOULD GET PAID LESS THEN

PGALICKY..LMAO WANT U TELL A PTECH ARE A SURGICAL TECH .. ETC THEY SHOULD GET PAID LESS THEN $ 15.00 BUCKS A HOUR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...I HEAR A DIAL TONE .911 I JUST GOT MY BUTT KICKED ..LMAO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Norcross, Georgia

50 months ago

lmao... um its you're not your but you wanna tell me about my grammar !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

a douche in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

i would be afraid to have any of you handle my meds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pogi in Detroit, Michigan

50 months ago

Thank you for the tut. I was wondering if the same applies for Detroit, MI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

What are u taling about kristen in Norcross, Georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Duluth, Georgia

50 months ago

i'm sorry if people dont like my comments about pharmacy techs making more money this is what i think !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

achalmers122 in Bossier City, Louisiana

50 months ago

I took a pharmacy technician program offered to me while I was still in high school. I took the PTCB exam and passes but now I don't know where to go to start working so I can earn the 600 hours to be licensed in the state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sba in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

kid in weimar in Weimar, Texas said: wanting to know if you have to volunteer after passing test or you can get hired to paying job after community college course and passing test? Read all the above but confusing!!! Looking to work in pharmacy in College station while attending further education, advice please?

In Texas, you can get a job with the PTCB certification, after you successfully register @ TSBP.. Most likely your school did this/showed you how. Check around local pharmacies for their specific requirements. Just make sure they know you are "willing to learn"..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Mattapan, Massachusetts

50 months ago

kid in weimar in Weimar, Texas said:

As a former CVS/Pharmacy retail technician and PTCB certified and state licensed, I can honestly recommend once you pass the national PTCB exam it is best that you volunteer in a hospital pharmacy(even if you have to beg to be let in) because as far as pay goes and working environment this is the best option.

Also, you will obtain the clinical hospital experience that employers look for on a resume. Hospital experience as pharmacy technician is far more valuable than retail pharmacy experience. Trust me you don’t want to be PTCB certified and working at CVS/Pharmacy, Walgreen’s or some other retail pharmacy establishment.

It’s not worth it, the pay is low and the stress is high, this is not a good combination. Most people who end up working as a entry-level pharmacy technician non-certified, in a retail environment end up quitting within 1 -3 years and sometimes within 6 months of being hired, due to the stressors of the environment and low pay.

The pay within in a hospital pharmacy is usually above $10.00. You are usually looking at $12.00 - $15.00 an hour as a certified hospital pharmacy technician. Think of CVS/Pharmacy and Walgreen’s as the retail pharmacy versions of Burger King and McDonalds.

Do you want to work at Burger King or McDonalds? Probably not, then you will not want to work at CVS/Pharmacy or Walgreen’s either.
Also, being a certified pharmacy technician in a retail pharmacy has no meaning to the retail employers at this time.

By this I mean don’t expect to get an increase in pay or status, expect low pay, under $10.00 an hour in most cases. If you decide to work in a retail pharmacy, expect a part time schedule of 16 – 24hrs a week or less and little or non-existent health care benefits. Unfortunately, this is just the way it is right now given the current economic conditions we live under right now.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Thanks so much kid in weimar in Weimar, Texas I appreciate your advice about working in a hospital rather than a retail store I have just changed my mind about starting at a retail store after i graduate

carol in Clearwater, Florida

49 months ago

can you become registered pharmacy tech if you have no experience and only worked 1 and1/2 weeks on training.Correct me if I am wrong,but don't you have to have at least 1500 hours before becoming registered? Does the state check up on this if you have not told the truth about how many hours you have worked and the fact that you have never worked at another pharmacy or any kind experience in this field?

49 months ago

Hello Carol, please click the link below for more info:

www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ap_phtech.pdf

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Hmmm, are the burgers at Burger King flipped or micro waved these days? I don’t have a clue I stopped eating fast food 3 years ago too many hormones and antibiotics in the meat, no wonder so many people are obese and suffering from hypertension and diabetes, the fast food industries way of nutrition is very unhealthy for you. Nowadays, I shop the produce section of “Whole Foods” and buy fresh fruit and vegetables and juice them.

Meanwhile, my MA pharmacy technician license is due for renewal soon, so that’s $60.00 for MA pharmacy technician license renewal and another $40.00 for national PTCB Certification renewal. I forgot to mention you need to complete 20hrs of pharmacy technician continuing education courses and pass those reading comprehension tests in order to be compliant with the education requirements for re-certification. In total that’s $100.00 out of my pocket, every 2 years you have to pay these licensing fees in order to practice as a licensed/certified pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts.

Moreover, I am debating whether it is worth it to remain licensed/certified for a so-called profession which pays lousy wages, has little advancement opportunities and a high stress working environment. However, I spent too much money on this profession to let my license and certification lapse. Seems as though, I will pay those licensing/certification fees and remain licensed and certified until I find a better opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mari in Arlington, Texas

47 months ago

HELP! I WAS FIRST A PHARMACY TECH TRAINEE REGISTERED WITH THE TEXAS STATE BOARD OF PHARYMACY DID EXTERSHIP THEN TOOK MY TEST, PASSED NOW I AM A CPHT. DO I HAVE TO GO DO FINGER PRINTING AGAIN AND PAY AGAIN FOR THE REGISTRATION?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.