Isn't there ANYONE who likes being a Pharmacy Technician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Ari in Paris, Kentucky

68 months ago

To answer my own quesetion, I do.

I got into the field through Wal-Mart in November 2007. Guess what? I had NO EXPERIENCE. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. They had a very difficult time filling the pharmacy technician position and blessedly, the Pharmacy Manager was willing to take a chance on me and have me trained. So, I winged it through "cold and flu" season and I admit, it wasn't easy. Customers are RUDE! Everything is your fault if the customers don't get their way. A couple of pharmacists had a "God Complex" about them to where you hated working with them. I knew that as long as I gritted my teeth and kept searching for a better PT position, that I would find it. I'm not a people person at all and there were nights when I came home in TEARS because retail pharmacy is that awful. You really need to develop thick skin when you work retail pharmacy.

I found a better position in May 2008 - at a pharmaceutical company that specializes with nursing home and rehabilitation centers. I LOVE IT. There are no customers, better pay, steady FULL-TIME hours, first shift, and I still learn new stuff every day. Best of all, THERE'S NO CUSTOMERS! I do NOT miss the rudeness and arrogance that comes with the general public every day.

I was just reading all the negativity on this forum and I was getting a bit bummed out about it, especially since I take pride in my position. I do like what I do and can't imagine doing anything else. I don't WANT to do anything else, because 95 percent of it has to deal with the public! No thanks!

Anyway, that's my story. If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Honestly, I can say I don’t like being a pharmacy technician. I started out in the retail sector of pharmacy. This happened to be in a fast paced (high stress) CVS/Pharmacy in Boston, MA.

Well, it didn’t take long before I reached 500 hours tech training. I accomplished this within a very short amount of time within 6 months. After 6 months I aced an in house CVS/Pharmacy licensure test they give to in house pharmacy technicians in training.

Around the 7th -8th month I sat for the national pharmacy technician exam and passed it.
I wasn’t surprised I studied my arse off for 4 months. However, I am disappointed with my career choice and would not recommend it to others seeking employment in this field.

If I had to do it all over again pursuing the path of becoming a pharmacy technician is something I should have passed on. Anyone who is thinking about a career as a pharmacy technician might want think deeply and go visit a local pharmacy and talk with pharmacy staff observe what pharmacy technicians have to go through on a daily basis.

Take a look at the rude and arrogant customers, the hassles with the insurance companies, trying to interpret the many illegible prescriptions that physicians write. I don’t miss standing on my feet all day. I don’t miss how much energy was drained out of me at the end of the day.

This job is not easy and the pay doesn’t make up for the high stress which is damaging to your health in the long run. The Pharmacist has a master/slave mentality when it comes to interacting with the pharmacy technicians they work with. I don’t miss the retail sector at all and I really understand the frustration of working retail. So there you have it low pay, high stress, standing on your feet all day, dealing with the sick general public, drained of your energy at the end of the day. So was this career path worth it ??? Hell no !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KMG365 in Southbridge, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Retail is a good way to learn people skills. I can be HELL if you work with a jerk pharmacist. Absolute chaos because the person makes it harder then it has to be.

I did retail part time for a long time. 10 or so years I did it for. One day I had enough. The car was payed off and credit cards down. I quit and now only have to work 2 back to back jobs! and have my weekends off!

How about that :-)

Nursing school for me.

The knowledge and people I have met (especially in the hospital) I wouldn't give up for the world.

I estimate I spent atleast 5 or my 10 years in retail dealing with BS I want my 5 years back! lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TimothySkowronek420@msn.com in Indianapolis, Indiana

67 months ago

Ari in Paris, Kentucky said: To answer my own quesetion, I do.

I got into the field through Wal-Mart in November 2007. Guess what? I had NO EXPERIENCE. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. They had a very difficult time filling the pharmacy technician position and blessedly, the Pharmacy Manager was willing to take a chance on me and have me trained. So, I winged it through "cold and flu" season and I admit, it wasn't easy. Customers are RUDE! Everything is your fault if the customers don't get their way. A couple of pharmacists had a "God Complex" about them to where you hated working with them. I knew that as long as I gritted my teeth and kept searching for a better PT position, that I would find it. I'm not a people person at all and there were nights when I came home in TEARS because retail pharmacy is that awful. You really need to develop thick skin when you work retail pharmacy.

I found a better position in May 2008 - at a pharmaceutical company that specializes with nursing home and rehabilitation centers. I LOVE IT. There are no customers, better pay, steady FULL-TIME hours, first shift, and I still learn new stuff every day. Best of all, THERE'S NO CUSTOMERS! I do NOT miss the rudeness and arrogance that comes with the general public every day.

I was just reading all the negativity on this forum and I was getting a bit bummed out about it, especially since I take pride in my position. I do like what I do and can't imagine doing anything else. I don't WANT to do anything else, because 95 percent of it has to deal with the public! No thanks!

Anyway, that's my story. If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

I love it, also. I work as a Chemotherapy Tech in a children's hospital. I learn something new every day. It's an important job that makes a difference. I went to a hospital based 11-month course, got hired i month after graduation. At 50 years old. But they STILL hire off the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Copycat2 in New York

67 months ago

I work in a retail pharmacy part time. Although there are rude customers there also are very kind customers. I can't say i'm in love with my job because this is not what I want to do for the remainder of my life but I can't say that I hate it. I was able to get a job at the pharm. up the street from me with no experience and since then [2+yrs ago] I have had the opportunity to work in a number of different stores within the chain. I have gained people skills while dealing with unruley customers as well as working with so many different technicians and pharmacists. I have come into contact with the miserable pharmacists and I have also had the opportunity to work with some of the nicest pharmacists who i can say I adore very much. working in different settins has also been helpful in me learning all of the different drugs and way others pharmacies run.

After two + years working as only a part timer I was put in the position as working as a classroom trainer for my chains certification test which helped me to get a raise and make even better connections. People complain about no advancement in retail but if you work hard and make good connections whose to say where you are able to go? Most people who complain about that are willing to complain about their job rather then doing something to make it better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in San Mateo, California

51 months ago

Everyone hates it. Avoid retail at any cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

catmiller in San Diego, California

50 months ago

I worked in retail for almost ten years before moving to the pharmacy department. It is a difficult job. I would definitely agree that pharm techs are absolutely underpaid. Especially when you compare it to how much pharmacists make.

Don't get me wrong. In my experience I had a great crew. The pharmacists were nice and really recognized you for the work you did. They knew and said it to you that without the techs they would be up you know what creek without a paddle!

Still, the fact they get paid anywhere between 50 to a 100 bucks an hour compared to 12 to 16 an hour with techs is ridiculous. And the argument that they spent so much time and money on schooling just isn't enough of a reason to have such a disparity in income.

Technicians are an integral part of any retail pharmacy. We do just about everything from typing up scripts, counting and pouring, contacting insurance companies, ordering supplies, cashiering, and the list goes on and on!!

No offense to people who work in fast food...but upper mgmt needs to stop treating techs and the retail pharm. dept as a whole like we were slinging burgers in a drive thru...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

M. in Jonesborough, Tennessee

43 months ago

Hate it. I've been a tech for about 7 years now, worked for 4 at Walgreens and now I'm at a hospital. I honestly thought the pay/stress level would be better institutionally but it's pretty much the same. I get cussed out by nurses and arrogant pharmacists now rather than patients. Such a thankless job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

i believe many of us who choose pharm tech as a career path because pharm tech schools are easier to get in whether it's a public or a private school, just about everyone know this is a low paying high stress job before they sign up, other health field are way harder to get in, nursing (RN), radiology X-ray technician classes in community college here have 2 years waiting period and you'll need your AA degree first before they'll even consider you.

most of the pharm tech that i know of are using this as a stepping stone to get into other medical fields later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

stressedtech in Trenton, Michigan

43 months ago

tech-you're insurance doesn't cover this medication
patient-WHAT? WHY NOT?!
tech-I DONT KNOW, CALL YOUR INS AND ASK THEM, DO I LOOK LIKE I WORK FOR AN INSURANCE COMPANY?!?!

tech-you're copay is 10 dollars
patient-WHAT?! WHY?! ITS ALWAYS 5?! WHY SO MUCH?!
tech-I DONT KNOW ASK YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY

ohhh the things i wish i could say to patients!!! i work in a pharmacy, not for your insurance company!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tera in Beaumont, California

43 months ago

Ari in Paris, Kentucky said: To answer my own quesetion, I do.

I really enjoy being a pharm tech. I work in Moreno Valley, ca at a hospital. I look forward o going to work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tera in Beaumont, California

43 months ago

I really like being a Pharmacy Technician. I work in a hospital, what we o is very important

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mee in Portland, Oregon

42 months ago

I want to be a pharm tech, but there are no job positions available :(
i have a pharm tech license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ruth Dreher in Tulsa, Oklahoma

38 months ago

Do they really ask you if you have a mental illness before you get hired for the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Mandeville, Louisiana

37 months ago

I just finished school to be a tech, i would like to eventually work as an IV or chemotherapy tech, any advice, i believe you get what you put in and i'm really don't paying my dues to get where i want to be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gargo in Red Oak, Texas

33 months ago

Ruth Dreher in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Do they really ask you if you have a mental illness before you get hired for the job?

they shoudl ask you if you have developed a mental illness since working in retail.. im pretty sure i develop a new one every week... f*** i hate retarded customers....im such a sweet person but this job.. is making me hateful and its eating my soul lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Me in Hayes, United Kingdom

20 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said: Honestly, I can say I don’t like being a pharmacy technician. I started out in the retail sector of pharmacy. This happened to be in a fast paced (high stress) CVS /Pharmacy in Boston, MA.

Hi

I knows it been a while since you posted this answer but, so what are you doing now - still working as a pharm tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

emberose in Morganton, North Carolina

19 months ago

I love what I do as a pharmacy technician. There are aspects of the job where I work that get to me. I've been working in a retail position for going on two years now and I do want to transition out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.