Taking the pharm tech test

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 834)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jake in Riverside, California

88 months ago

How difficult is the test? I am about to complete my first year in college, majoring in biology. Would it be possible to study some books and not take a class and still pass? I dont really have the money for a class. If so, which books would be good to look at. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (709) / No (110) Reply - Report abuse

Lalita in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I started as a technician at CVS in 1999 without a certification. I worked for the company for a year and left for a position as a clothing store manager. I came back to CVS in January of 2003 and took the test in Nov 2003. I studied the books given to me by the trainer for 2 months previous to the test date. I passed the test with absolutely no difficulties. I do not believe anyone should go to school to learn how to pass the CPhT exam. Work experience and study guides are the best bet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (194) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

eve in Lawrence, Kansas

86 months ago

Lalita in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I started as a technician at CVS in 1999 without a certification. I worked for the company for a year and left for a position as a clothing store manager. I came back to CVS in January of 2003 and took the test in Nov 2003. I studied the books given to me by the trainer for 2 months previous to the test date. I passed the test with absolutely no difficulties. I do not believe anyone should go to school to learn how to pass the CPhT exam. Work experience and study guides are the best bet.

I did a year interning at a CVS/Pharmacy through my high school and I learned and know just as much as any of the techs I worked with. I just won't be certified for another 2 months and im wondering if its possible for me to get a job as a tech trainee anywhere other than where i interned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

mickie strickland in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

85 months ago

I;ve a pharmacy tech for 17 years without certification, I have been out of work for 1 year. What do I need to do to get certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

can i take the certification without going to school? i have 17 yrs as a tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Yep you sure can. I am actually doing that at the beginning of September. If you have been a pharmtech 17 years, it seems that it should be easy for you, but I havn't taken the test yet, so I can't say for sure

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

CphT in Smyrna, Georgia

84 months ago

Just be sure to go over the hospital stuff if you've been working in retail- i.e. IV drip rates/conversions etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

evey in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

thank you ill be sure to study thos

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

please let me know how it went

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anand Patel in Mount Prospect, Illinois

84 months ago

I think its better to buy this book called Reference Guide for Pharmacy Technician Exam (PTCE) written by Manan H Shroff (Price $ 40). I guess its a really Good book with loadz of practice questions similar to that asked in the exam. That Way you'll be safe.

As per my research iquestions appearing in PTCE are based on MATH skills (40%); Generic names of drugs, their therapeutic uses, adverse effects, their short names...etc....

If you have passed High School Chemistry and taking Calculus or even College Algebra level of Math classes then you are good to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anand Patel in Schaumburg, Illinois

84 months ago

Oh God !!!lol you remind me of my High School days..lol

well lets hope for the best to come out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida

84 months ago

hi i had a question if u are certified through cvs or walgreens is that the same test as the cpht? somone told me it was only good for cvs and not a national wide thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CphT in Smyrna, Georgia

84 months ago

They prep you for the PTCB exam- this is the National Certification. In other words, yes, it is the same thing- you earn the designation "CphT"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

CphT in Smyrna, Georgia said: They prep you for the PTCB exam- this is the National Certification. In other words, yes, it is the same thing- you earn the designation "CphT"

Thank you very much apprecatie it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Chico, California

84 months ago

Hi,

Is the book needed to study, always the same book?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Megan in Chico, California said: Hi,

Is the book needed to study, always the same book?

there are many types of books the mosby book Mosby's Pharmacy Technician with Back of Book CD-Rom: Principles and Practice

Mosby's Pharmacy Technician with Back of Book CD-Rom: Principles and Practice by Theresa Hopper
thats a really good book i got it from class (only useful thing that came out of it) i would recommend gettign that book if u havent gotten on its really worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Chico, California

84 months ago

Right now I'm a college student majoring in nursing and would love to work as a pharmacy technician as well. So if i decide to take and pass the exam, what is the chance of me getting hired as a technician without experience? Will they not hire me? So do employers hire pharmacy technicians who have experience? or can they hire those who have past the exam but without experience whatsoever?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Elkin, North Carolina

84 months ago

I am about to take the test in less than a week. I had worked as a pharmacy tech for about 3 years and then had a baby so its been about a year since I have worked in this field and I fill like i have forgotten ALOT! Can anyone kind give me some highlights on what I need to study and freshen up on the most??!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Victorville, California

84 months ago

Math, laws, generic/brand names, and What symptoms each drug is used for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kelley in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

What is the best available book to study for the test, and how do I find out where and when the test is administered, and the cost?
Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

2Jazzy in Mobile, Alabama

84 months ago

I just took the test less than 2 hours ago. It was 100 questions (my study guide said there would be 150) and we were given 2 hrs to complete the questions. Some of the questions were super easy, and others I had never seen before in life about the hospital setting and the info wasnt in my study guide. Hopefully I passed. On my test there was mostly math, lots of laws, hardly any brand/generic names. But they did ask about some adverse effects and which drug would be used to treat a given illness. Be familiar with verification of DEA numbers and all the laws and associations within an institutional setting.

Can anyone who has taken the computer-based test tell me when my pass/fail grade will be available to me online? My printout said that the results would be mailed to me by Oct 12th, but I think I can find out something before then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

eddie in Spring, Texas

83 months ago

Best book I found is Concise review for the ptcb exam. Tons of practice questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I PASSED MY TEST!!!!

but, sorry goodluck to everyone whos still have to take it and those waiting for their scores. it definitely was tough stuff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

the easiet way is going to ptcb.org and under the PTCBexam it gives you PTCB links and info plus a phone number to call if you'd rather talk to someone.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Eris Anne in Edmonton, Kentucky

83 months ago

Can I get the pre-test to study and then take the actuall test without going through the courses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Nai in Fresno, California

83 months ago

dhara in Canton, Michigan said: hey...but is it possible to get the job first without having a certificated and then going thru an exam........because now adays every pharmacy wants to give jobs as a pharm tech to only those ppl who have got a certificate.

well i think in most states, all u need is a high school diploma. but in california you have to be licensed, by the state, and being PTCB certified is a plus for getting hired, also in certain pharmacies they will give you a raise for being certified. Current pay at walgreens is $14.75 i think here in visalia + .75 for being certified, after one year its another .50 on top of ur yearly raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nycole in Port Huron, Michigan

83 months ago

does anyone know a web address that i could use to find a testing site in detroit/ NE Michigan area ? i need a new job!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

charlotte

83 months ago

Im getting ready to go to texas school of bussi. for pharmacy tech and Im not that good at math I was wondering is there a chance I Can pass the test and is tedxas school of bussi. a good school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I passed the test a little while ago. I applied to a few pharmacies, and eventually got an interview with a CVS. Everything was great until they called me and told me I need to be registered in the state of CA as well? Has anyone heard of this? A person becomes automatically qualified when they are a CPhT, so its not that big of a deal, but it takes 8-12 weeks! That means it will be awhile before I can work. I've heard of people working at places like walgreens without even being a CPhT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous16 in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Many states have Board of Pharmacy or State specific license requirements. You have to fill out some basic information and send a check every year. This is essentially a background check. Michigan didn't have a requirement, but Minnesota and Illinois both have one. I paid for my initial Minnesota BOP registration, but after I started working, the employer paid every year thereafter. It was only $10/yr. in MN. Now I am forking over $40/yr in IL. There is usually some leniency about allowing employees to work without one for a set period of time while they are waiting for the results. Check with your state website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in South Bend, Indiana

83 months ago

Hello there! I am currently a pharmacy tech w/ CVS and looking to take the test. Any ideas for tips. So far everythign on her has been a great help! Thanks a lot everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

c. j. in Spring, Texas

83 months ago

chech out the book- concise review for the ptcb exam. covers everything and lots of practice questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

If you don't mind me asking, what do you make at CVS before and after? If that's personnel I completely understand

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in South Bend, Indiana

83 months ago

No i dont mind answering that. Once i get get my certification i get a five dollar an hour raise. They first started me, at 8$8 when i did basic cashering, then went to $10 once i became a tech after a few months i started billing the insurance companies and counting pills etc. Another thing i like im only 20, and a college student studying pharmacy they are helping pay for my college education as long as i stick with cvs. So that is a heads up. Plus the benefits are decent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Anniston, Alabama

83 months ago

Jake in Riverside, California said: How difficult is the test? I am about to complete my first year in college, majoring in biology. Would it be possible to study some books and not take a class and still pass? I dont really have the money for a class. If so, which books would be good to look at. Thank you

I studied for about months, have worked in the pharmacy years. I passed on the first try, but I was surprised. I was promised a $2.00 an hour raise from my emplyer, but now they are refusing to pay. That's ok. I still trust God.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Natasha in Buford, Georgia

83 months ago

Nicole in South Bend, Indiana said: No i dont mind answering that. Once i get get my certification i get a five dollar an hour raise. They first started me, at 8$8 when i did basic cashering, then went to $10 once i became a tech after a few months i started billing the insurance companies and counting pills etc. Another thing i like im only 20, and a college student studying pharmacy they are helping pay for my college education as long as i stick with cvs. So that is a heads up. Plus the benefits are decent.

Hi Nicole
Do you have to be full time or part time for them to pay for your schooling.
Please let me know.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dony in Canton, Michigan

83 months ago

nycole in Port Huron, Michigan said: does anyone know a web address that i could use to find a testing site in detroit/ NE Michigan area ? i need a new job!!!!

Go to www.pearsonvue.com/servlet/vue.web2.core.Dispatcher?wsid=1193247788944&HasXSes=Y&wscid=41849871

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JoJoctrnl21 in Centralia, Washington

83 months ago

I will be moving back home to mobile Alabama soon,and I just got certified as a pharmacy tech.Does anyone know how much a tech makes there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Riverside, California

83 months ago

I am absoleutly new to the Pharmacy field but am very interested in it.

There's alot of helpful information on this forum but can anyone give me the steps to just getting my foot in the door. I have never worked in the field but am willing to intern, get proper schooling and what not.

Just want to know the basics and how I can about it spending as much money and quality time as possible.

please someone help me out.

thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nycole in Washington, Michigan

83 months ago

I just got a job at CVS. I start next week. I am so excited. What I was wondering is that I heard they pay for you to become a pharmacy tech is this true or do I still need to buy the book and take the test myself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Nycole in Washington, Michigan said: I just got a job at CVS. I start next week. I am so excited. What I was wondering is that I heard they pay for you to become a pharmacy tech is this true or do I still need to buy the book and take the test myself?

Nycole you can work at a pharmacy without being certified? What do you do there.

I'm trying to get my foot in the door and don't know where exactly you start at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

mrsnotoessmith in Victorville, California

83 months ago

Jake in Riverside, California said: If you don't mind me asking, what do you make at CVS before and after? If that's personnel I completely understand

Hi Jake CVS in So. California, a RxClerk starts about $8.15 then as a Tech about $10.00 Then you get annual raises along with merit if your good. You do need a CA Pharmacy License but CPhT does cut out a lot of red tape. Good Luck Work Hard and prove yourself I'm sure you will be fine. CVS is an excellent company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Paul in Riverside, California said: Nycole you can work at a pharmacy without being certified? What do you do there.

I'm trying to get my foot in the door and don't know where exactly you start at.

Paul, APPLY They will train an rx clerk. Do ROP you will save alot of money Rialto and Victorville both have an excellent program for free. Don't waste money paying for a school. The best training is on hand. At this time you do not need to be a CPht but you do need a CA License. (CVS we are the best)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I've seen alot of people boosting their pay grade. I've worked for CVS for many many years the only time you start off at a CVS making more then stated above in So. Ca is with alot of years of expirence. Don't believe everything you see, Some people state what they want to make not what they really do!
Same goes for other chains they all have a pay grid to go by!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Paul in Riverside, California said: thank you mr.notesmith.

How do I go about getting a CA Liscense?.. I'm looking online at all the CVS and WalGreen Pharmacies and what not. They have information about their internships but is it better to walk in and actually discuss it with one of the pharmacist?

Paul check the ROP in Riverside and see if they offer the class I know Hesperia, Victorville and Rialto do. Talk to the school district Rop Is free. You learn alot and save thousands that way. I usually hire these people over the others types of tech schools. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

thank you so much mr.note

Maybe you can hire me someday. :)

I will look into it though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Paul in Riverside, California said: thank you so much mr.note

Maybe you can hire me someday. :)

I will look into it though.

Apply CVS Victorville ;)Pharmacy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

i just got a job at the cvs in victorville! bear valley and amethyst

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Pasadena, California

83 months ago

Nycole. I work for CVS. They pay only for your test fee and provide you with some study material. over all there are better pharmacies with better pay (i.e. walgreen's and target). CVS is good to get your foot in the door but not for long term.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Pasadena, California

83 months ago

Do any of you technicians in California mind sharing your pay rates. I am looking around to apply. I am certified and licensed in CA. Especially want to hear from you folks at Target and Walgreens. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.