Bad Pharmacy Tech Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 215)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jan in Chicago in Towson, Maryland

75 months ago

I thought we could list schools that we've been to that are not worth it, so that other people thinking about going to pharm tech schools can make informed decisions.

I'll start with the one I went to. It's called Pharmacy Technician Training School (yeah, real classy name) and it's located on 4710 W. Irving Park Rd. in Chicago.

You might see their ad on the Free Employment weeklies. It's tiny and unprofessional looking, just like the classroom. The computers in there looked about 30 years old, and we were supposed to practice entering in prescriptions, i.e. reading scribbled handwriting. Not what I paid $900 for.

The teacher supposedly worked at as a pharm tech for years, but never said anything I couldn't read from the book. Again not what I paid $900 for. Also she had a thick accent that was difficult to understand. More than a couple times, she went off on tangents.

The hands-on portion of the six-week course consisted of injecting water from little bottles into piggybacks. This was supposed to get us to practice reading numbers on the needles. Again, I don't need to pay $900 to know how to do that. Also she seems to procure the materials in illegal ways. She encouraged us to take used supplies if we got jobs in hospitals, and donate them to her school.

There was no internship part of the program. I know Illinois Medical Careers and just about any other pharm tech school in Chicago sets their students up with internships. Experience makes a huge difference on resumes.

Finally, the guy at the front desk (the teacher's son) misrepresented the reality of getting hired as a pharm tech in Chicago. I have applied to all the big retailers and hospitals in Chicago consistently for the last three months, and have never even gotten a call back. It didn't make a difference if I called them either.

I only picked this school because it was the closest to my home. This decision is my biggest mistake, and I have not stopped regretting it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

Jan in Chicago in Towson, Maryland said: I only picked this school because it was the closest to my home. This decision is my biggest mistake, and I have not stopped regretting it.

What's the old saying "You get what you pay for"?

As far as not getting called back. If you mentioned what school you attended that may have an effect on responses.

I've heard that some companies will find out a candidate attended a particular school with bad reputation and they won't even give the person any chance at all.

I'm currently enrolled in PT class in SF Bay Area. The program is a $10,000 program that lasts 7 months.

Very in-depth and designed to help students past PTCB exam. So far the instructor has had 100% passing of all students who have taken the exam.

Choosing a school only because it's close to home certainly isn't the way to go when you need to make sure you have thorough top-notch instruction and assistance from the school.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Derek in Moorefield, West Virginia

75 months ago

I have 2 options. $1000 and the program is taught here in my home town. Some company called Condensed Curriculum International is teaching it. A local tech school is providing everything. The other one is $3500 and maybe more because of books. The instructor seem really good and they set you up with an internship while you are taking the class. It is taught through a Community college, that is why it is so expensive. Im paying by the credit hour. I originally planed to take the $1000 one because it is close and cheaper. What do you think I should do...???????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

coolguy in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

neither just take the ptcb exam and pass, that simple. employers are just looking for experiance not what school you have been to. they dont give a dam if you payed 10k to become a tech, a tech is a tech to them. JUST GET EXPERIANCE SOME WAY SOME HOW WHEN YOUR CERTIFIED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ME in Midlothian, Illinois

75 months ago

DONT GO TO EVEREST COLLEGE IN MERRIONETTE PARK IL EITHER, SO NOT WORTH THE $11,OOO TUITION, AND JOB PLACEMENT...FORGET IT. I HAD TO FIND MY OWN AN THEY TRIED TO ACT LIKE THEY FOUND THE JOB FOR ME. I WAS OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 5 MONTHS B-4 I FOUND A JOB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in West Haven, Connecticut

74 months ago

Anonymous in Fort Knox, Kentucky said: Penn foster.
Doesn't prepare you at all to take the PTCB exam.
Doesn't provide job placement.
Doesn't provided internship opportunities.
Doesn't provide hands on experience at all.

Your better off buying the workbook and certification review from the PTCB web site and teaching yourself.

but buying a workbook?..what about the diploma? you need to have a diploma in order to get a job?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Fort Knox, Kentucky

74 months ago

No, not at all, I just got a job at walgreens and they didn't care I had a diploma, they didn't even look at it when I brought it in. Plus even if your certified or went to school walgreens puts you through their training program. Just get a job at walgreens, they'll even pay for your PTCB exam and to test preperation with you, and when you pass, they give you a raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fredaricka in Barnesville, Georgia

74 months ago

ME in Midlothian, Illinois said: DONT GO TO EVEREST COLLEGE IN MERRIONETTE PARK IL EITHER, SO NOT WORTH THE $11,OOO TUITION, AND JOB PLACEMENT...FORGET IT. I HAD TO FIND MY OWN AN THEY TRIED TO ACT LIKE THEY FOUND THE JOB FOR ME. I WAS OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 5 MONTHS B-4 I FOUND A JOB.

I can totally agree with you on that, but you faired a lot better than I did. I went to the school when it was called Ga.Medical Institute. My tuition was about $10,000 which I'm still paying through student loans. I graduated from the program which was subpar to say the very least and went on to become certified. I still haven't been able to find a job. That was 4-years ago. I have this diploma and certification that I can't use and a $10,000 student loan bill to boot. The only job placement assistance was an offer to use their fax machine. Now I'm wondering what to do. I've all but abandoned any real chances of using that diploma and am searching schools to get my bachelor's degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeangirl in Loma Linda, California

74 months ago

ME in Midlothian, Illinois said: DONT GO TO EVEREST COLLEGE IN MERRIONETTE PARK IL EITHER, SO NOT WORTH THE $11,OOO TUITION, AND JOB PLACEMENT...FORGET IT. I HAD TO FIND MY OWN AN THEY TRIED TO ACT LIKE THEY FOUND THE JOB FOR ME. I WAS OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 5 MONTHS B-4 I FOUND A JOB.

Hi, I went to check out my local Everest School here in Southern Cal., I didnt get a great feeling about it, and I didnt like the guy who was trying to sell the school/program to me, im not going to pay them $15,000 to help me be a cert. pharm tech. I would have to get a loan plus start making payments on $6000, 1 month after the program finishes! No Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rather not tell in Macon, Georgia

74 months ago

Anonymous in Fort Knox, Kentucky said: Penn foster.
Doesn't prepare you at all to take the PTCB exam.
Doesn't provide job placement.
Doesn't provided internship opportunities.
Doesn't provide hands on experience at all.

Your better off buying the workbook and certification review from the PTCB web site and teaching yourself.

i just enrolled in this course at penn foster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fort Knox, Kentucky

74 months ago

I'm sorry. It won't help you at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

keeping quiet in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

i am actually starting pharmacy tech school in october at CHI institute.. they told me that the tuition is $13,710 and that includes everything for the 8-9 month course.. i was told that we get a cap and gown graduation (which i could careless about).. i was also told that they have "career placement" and they try to help out the students as much as they can!.. well, for almost $14,000 that's the LEAST you could do!.. the only thing i am not too happy about is.. i can't believe the money for schooling, but they pay pharmacy techs horrible money!.. i guess it pays to become a nurse and slack off and sleep while you're on the clock!.. must be nice.. it's the techs and assistants who are basically doing the dirty work, but get nothing in return!..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

angel in Madison, Georgia

74 months ago

Anonymous in Fort Knox, Kentucky said: I'm sorry. It won't help you at all.

why do you say that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pharmacy slave in Cleveland, Ohio

74 months ago

Just my point of view...
To all those willing to spend that kind of money on school for pharmacy technician...trust me...it's a waste of money.

I have been working as a pharmacy tech for almost a year, and the career choice itself, is not what I expected at all. You do the grunt work of the pharmacist, that's all. The person who chose the RIGHT career path.

I had no experience at all, and was hired right along side those who had went to school. We all were required to complete the same training and were paid the same> It didn"t matter> The job itself is pretty unrewarding, low pay, horrible hours, (which you have to fight for by the way), the worst of humanity blaming you for just about anything. The pharmacists are pompous snobs who wouldn't lower themselves to help you or for that matter bother to talk to you.

Dealing with insurance is another royal pain. Yet customers will scream and yell when THEIR insurance will not pay, like you are somehow responsible for denying them their scripts.

Yes, you probably learn much in school, but why in the world would you pay to learn it when you could be getting paid for training the store provides? I guess this is directed more towards the retail side of this industry as opposed to another setting such as a hospital. It's easily the worst job I have ever had.

My suggestion is to go ahead and get yourself a job in a pharmacy before you commit yourself to school. Find out what this job is really like. You need a pretty thick skin. Truly nasty people, horrible hours and low,low, pay. You are made to feel very, very expendable. New "graduates" come in every day, and you can be easily replaced. One "graduate" of one of those schools is only making 7.95 an hour, and she has been there almost a year. Getting certified will net you a .30 cent raise. Wow!

Trust me, the only person who is making any money in a retail pharmacy is the pharmacist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

angel in Pine Lake, Georgia

74 months ago

pharmacy slave in Cleveland, Ohio said: Just my point of view...
To all those willing to spend that kind of money on school for pharmacy technician...trust me...it's a waste of money.

I have been working as a pharmacy tech for almost a year, and the career choice itself, is not what I expected at all. You do the grunt work of the pharmacist, that's all. The person who chose the RIGHT career path.

I had no experience at all, and was hired right along side those who had went to school. We all were required to complete the same training and were paid the same> It didn"t matter> The job itself is pretty unrewarding, low pay, horrible hours, (which you have to fight for by the way), the worst of humanity blaming you for just about anything. The pharmacists are pompous snobs who wouldn't lower themselves to help you or for that matter bother to talk to you.

Dealing with insurance is another royal pain. Yet customers will scream and yell when THEIR insurance will not pay, like you are somehow responsible for denying them their scripts.

Yes, you probably learn much in school, but why in the world would you pay to learn it when you could be getting paid for training the store provides? I guess this is directed more towards the retail side of this industry as opposed to another setting such as a hospital. It's easily the worst job I have ever had.

My suggestion is to go ahead and get yourself a job in a pharmacy before you commit yourself to school. Find out what this job is really like. You need a pretty thick skin. Truly nasty people, horrible hours and low,low, pay. You are made to feel very, very expendable. New "graduates" come in every day, and you can be easily replaced. One "graduate" of one of those schools is only making 7.95 an hour, and she has been there almost a year. Getting certified will net you a .30 cent raise. Wow!

may i ask what state you are in and gosh why does this say im in georgia heck im in mississippi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

angel in Pine Lake, Georgia

74 months ago

pharmacy slave what state do you live in?

74 months ago

I think it happens in every state Angel.

I guess I should add to my post:

The only people making money in a retail pharmacy setting is the pharmacist, and the school the tech paid money for.

My opinion is that they are all diploma mills. Well meaning people who think they are going for a better life only to find out they have been duped. Turn on the tv anytime on a weekday morning, and there you have it. "Make good money becoming a ...(fill in the blank) call today!

Medical assisting is no different. The one who works for my own Dr. tells me she had no training at all, she didn't need it. Right out of high school, and she is making 10 an hour to start. Just a job till she finishes college for her real career. This is just sad.

Penn Foster, Sanford Brown, ect... they are all in the business of making MONEY. Quick money. Marketing genius really, how in the world can you get people to PAY you for learning something you don't really need or could easily learn on your own?

I didn't go to a school, I was trained on the job. Very bad experience for me, but I can only imagine the frustration of those who paid so much only to later to find out the reality of the job and requirements to get it. Or even worse, those who are unable to even find a job.

Yes, school is a great thing, but before you put your money down, talk to someone who actually does it for a living and how much they make. I can tell you from experience, Pharmacy Tech school is a waste of time and money, it doesn't matter which one. They are all bad. (or should I say useless?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Also keep in mind, that most of what you learn in these schools has NO bearing on your job in retail. Maybe learning the sig codes, if your lucky enough to get off the register for awhile. And getting a diploma from one of those schools is NOT the same as being certified. You can get certified all on your own.

Just one more point... The manager who hired me was looking for someone who had NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE in the pharmacy. Said it would interfere with THIER training, which I might point out involved their own computer system. One of their classes was entitled "Customer Service Basics" which detailed ways to conduct yourself when someone is screaming at you and even calling you a couple of nasty names. Rule #1? APOLOGIZE to the customer even if it wasn't your fault, but never EVER blame the company. How's that for treating your employees?

I know I sound pretty negative, but I live it everyday. Right now, it's a survival job, till I can figure out another course of action. All in all, it's been a very dissapointing experience for me. But at least I don't have student loans to pay off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I agree to a certain point.. it is a waste of money, but i think going to a 4 year college is a huge waste of money! everyone who goes to a 4 year college can't find jobs!.. unless you want to be a nurse and stick hep and aids patients with needles.. wow 4 years of schooling to wind up with a disease?!.. not everyone is cut out for school.. i know i'm not!.. i get bored too easily and then i slack off.. i want a challenge and that's why i chose pharmacy tech.. if you work at cvs, rite aid, etc.. you won't make much.. you need to get in at a hospital, where you'll be making anywheres from $16-$20/hour, if not more.. trade schools are better than colleges.. and it's less stressful too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hmm, hate to disagree with you Quiet, but I am afraid I must!
Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in, but from those I have talked to myself, no techs are making that kind of money. In fact, one that I work with stated she was only making something in the 10.00 range and that was in a hospital pharmacy. Yes, she is certified.

There is more to college than being a nurse after all. Those trade schools only offer certificates for one job alone. A college degree can open far more doors. Yes, it is difficult sometimes, but if you are going to be spending that kind of money and putting that much effort into it, it would be great if there was a job worth having on the other side wouldn't it? Those trade schools churn out graduates by the dozen, they are cheaper than a 4 yr college and can be completed in 8 or 9 months. But therin lies the problem doesn't it? Too many graduates, not enough jobs. That's why they can pay so little, those grads are desperate for jobs! And who can blame them? Even in today's job market, I think that college grads have a much better chance of finding a job worthy of them. Trade school grads have to compete with all the others out there doing the same, and sadly, have to settle for minimum wage to do it.

Here's hoping you are working at a hospital making that kind of money Quiet. None of the techs I know do.

keeping quiet

74 months ago

First of all, techs in a hospital will make more.. Philadelphia is a huge city and all of the center city hospitals are paying nursing assistants $18-$21/hour! I know b/c I checked them out. I also worked in a hospital for 3 years as an EKG technician and then transferred to CNA. I started out at $12.81/hour, and before I left EKG I was making $14.05/hour.. I had no schooling, it was all on the job training!.. For CNA, I made $14.06/hour and went to school for 18 days! Then went to Red Cross to take my state boards and got my license!.. So it all depends on where you live. Like I said, Philly is a huge city, and they pay better than other tiny states like Rhode Island and stuff like that!.. Experience=NOTHING!.. School=NOTHING!.. It depends on who you know and where in the city you're working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

keeping quiet

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Well, it's hard to argue with that.
I agree, it's all about who you know and working in a big city doesn't hurt either.

I guess my point was that going to one of those pharmacy tech schools will give you nothing over the rest of us, except parting you with some cash.

But for those of you who don't believe it, well, that's what keeps those schools in business in the first place.

Good luck to all of you. I myself have decided to leave for greener pastures....

At least that's one opening for one of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

keeping quiet said: Check out this website....

wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_a_pharmacy_technician_earn

Everyone here should click on this link.
A MUCH more realistic view of it all.

angel in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

good morning everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! done somemore research and in the state i live which is not georgia by the way. mshp states that you have to have attained a secondary school diploma or it recognized equivalent, completed a course of training for phar tech accredited by the ashp or graduated by a school recognized by the state board of pharmacy. I have to say that i enrolled with penn foster and the state the i live in the state board highly recommended this school. all you have to do is a lil research. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

already checked it out slave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

It really can't be that bad. I checked out the pay for a phar tech in the state i live in and phar techs can make up to 19.00 an hour after certification.

74 months ago

Angel, Have you read many of the other threads on this site pertaining to Pharmacy Techs? Check out those posts from others in your area. From those I have read, those living in the southern part of the country are making the least, and having a harder time finding jobs. If they were even able to FIND a job, they were not making 18.00 an hour. Those who live in California were making the most, yea, about 18 dollars an hour. But the cost of living on the west coast is unbelievable. I think I trust those who are living it as opposed to those web sites. What site did you get that info from?

I don't mean to sound so negative, and I certaintly do wish you luck, but please go in with your eyes wide open. Read ALL the threads here...you may be suprised.

74 months ago

Believe me i trust what you are saying. I have read the other threads. To all its different. Some are happy some are not. I may in the long run regret it but oh well just another lesson in life. It beats a furniture factory!!!!! Ha! Ha! Been there done that. Each state differs though. It's all on the person that has decided to do this for a living. Some feel it's great money. And the site i got that from was ask.com it had different links. It also differs in the setting you get a job in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

keeping quiet said: First of all, techs in a hospital will make more.. Philadelphia is a huge city and all of the center city hospitals are paying nursing assistants $18-$21/hour! I know b/c I checked them out. I also worked in a hospital for 3 years as an EKG technician and then transferred to CNA. I started out at $12.81/hour, and before I left EKG I was making $14.05/hour.. I had no schooling, it was all on the job training!.. For CNA, I made $14.06/hour and went to school for 18 days! Then went to Red Cross to take my state boards and got my license!.. So it all depends on where you live. Like I said, Philly is a huge city, and they pay better than other tiny states like Rhode Island and stuff like that!.. Experience=NOTHING!.. School=NOTHING!.. It depends on who you know and where in the city you're working.

You know, I found this post interesting in the fact that Quiet was able to get these jobs with NO experience and more importantly NO schooling. The jobs mentioned were all jobs listed on those "tech" school commercials airing everyday. On the job training..hmmm... what a concept! Those schools will never tell you that of course. They would be out of business! The amount of money for their training is mind boggling. Try to remember that they are a BUSINESS, and are out to make money. I have talked to many of the grads from these schools. They intern in my store all the time. They are "SHOCKED" when they find out the amount of money they are offered. They were expecting much much more. Even sadder, those schools don't include the fee for taking the certification test. They think that their certificate was enough. You have to work for 6 months to a year before the retail store will pay for it.

My son was able to get a job in a hospital the same way. He is 19 and has NO experience or schooling. How? His girlfriends mother...the kid is making more money than me just because he "knew" somebody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

angel in Atlanta, Georgia said: Believe me i trust what you are saying. I have read the other threads. To all its different. Some are happy some are not. I may in the long run regret it but oh well just another lesson in life. It beats a furniture factory!!!!! Ha! Ha! Been there done that. Each state differs though. It's all on the person that has decided to do this for a living. Some feel it's great money. And the site i got that from was ask.com it had different links. It also differs in the setting you get a job in.

All the best to you Angel! I hope you prove me wrong!!!

Aspiring... in Crestwood, Kentucky

74 months ago

angel in Atlanta, Georgia said: phar techs can make up to 19.00 an hour

You do realize there's a difference between "CAN make UP TO $19/hr" and "currently makes $19/hr"... Right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angel in Columbus, Georgia

74 months ago

Yes i know the difference. I never said i didn't

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I've checked out how much it costs to get EKG certified and the hospital that I worked at in Philly was just on-the-job training.. Star Technical Institute wanted like $1100 just to get EKG certified.. They also charge hundreds of dollars to get CPR certified.. At the hospital, since i was in cardio-respiratory dept., they wanted us CPR certified and one of the respiratory therapists did the course for us.. I only paid $5 to get my CPR certification card!.. you can't beat that!.. also, look at the website for walgreens.com! if you fill out an application for pharmacy tech, they tell you that "they will hire you and pay for your training (on-the-job) and even pay for you to become certified within 18 months!.. now i'm thinking, why spend $14,000 for CHI's tuition, when walgreen's is willing to pay me??!.. you should all check into walgreen's and find out for sure!..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

well i had my meeting yesterday with financial aid and i told them straight out.. "unless you're giving me grants and scholarships, then i am really undecided about paying almost $14 grand for tuition!.." my mom was right there with me and i said "walgreen's will pay me to train and take the state exam to become certified!".. now i have a few days to think about it b/c i have to meet with financial aid again on friday!.. they are very snobby and pushy!.. i think i am going to call walgreen's and see if they received my application and go from there!.. if not, i'll call the hospital i used to work at and try to get back in there!.. it helps to know people.. don't waste your money!.. i'm starting to realize that now!.. best of luck to you all!..

angel in Duluth, Georgia

74 months ago

In some states you have to have some schooling. i have already looked into it where i live. I have done lots of research and even talked to the pharamists here where i live. I applied at walgreens recently and a few other places. As of right now im gonna stay off a couple of months for my kids while they are getting settled in school and then push for a job in a local pharmacy. I have a friend who works in a institutional pharmacy she may can hook me up. Wee Hoo!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Man i move around alot. I guess since i have not created a profile they keep moving me. I went from Duluth to Atlanta in five hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

8 years later... in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

...and i just left pharmacy for good. my advice? dont get certified unless you want to work OUTSIDE retail--walgreens, eckerds, etc. the real money in being a tech is in hospitals and other settings, like long-term care. retail does and always will pay you next to nothing. i just left a job in long-term care that was closed to the public, (no getting screamed at by patients) and had other techs doing the insurance stuff, med records, etc, and i left making 23.15 an hour. that is, of course, after 9 years of experience, IV certification, compounding specialist, etc. i just got burned out, finally, and no amount of money could keep me there--the most valuable lesson, though? stay out of retail if at all possible, if you want to make any money and NOT end up hating mankind at the end of every day. there are some awesome experiences to be had in hospitals and longterm care, and not all pharmacists are bad. some kick ass. just know what you're getting yourself into. PS there really is no need to go to school. buy the Official PTCB Study Guide and pay for the test, and there you go. Pass it, and you're on your way. i know, because thats exactly what i did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fort Knox, Kentucky

73 months ago

The reason I'm in retail is because I'm in pharmacy school and walgreens has education assistance programs and pharmacy internship opportunities that long-term care facilities usually don't have. I thought the reason for being a pharmacy tech was for making money while your in school to be a pharmacist... I never saw it as a career. In retail its hard to make it into one at around 9.00 and hour lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

really confused in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

I was recently laid off from a major hospital. I worked as a patient ecsort and wanted 2 try somthing different. I was leaning toward Pharm Tech or Bookeeping/Accounting.U guys have really dampered my mood, for Pharm Tech. Maybe I should try Bookeeping /Accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

somewhat confused in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

I had went to the Pharmacy Technician School on 4710 W Irving Park Rd in chicago as posted in the first message. My sister told me here friend can get me a job because she did the same school. I admit that the PTCB Exam review that I received was bad, but the course was 900, compared to 10,000 from other community colleges. The teacher said that the 10,000 courses were the same thing except that they discussed in depth things that aren't important andleft you with a large bill. My class meet twice a week for 4 hours and I thought it would've been longer. I am now finding it hard to study for the PTCB Exam, even after picking up more study material. The teacher also didn't want us to order the Exam review book that went along witht he course book because she said it wasn't necessary and that everything you need pass is in that one. Worse yet I can't reach the school because it seems they changed their number as some construction was done and they moved into the building next to it.

K-La in Port Jervis, New York

72 months ago

a couple of months ago i was pondering the idea of taking a pharmacy tech class. While i was waiting for a phone call back from a local school, my boyfriend had went into a walgreens in queens (for his job), his job put him in contact with the lead pharmacist....so knowing that i was worried if this local class would be accepted, he asked the pharmacist, he said "oh man, i finally just hired a girl with no exp. no more then 20mins ago, because for a few weeks no body had came in already cert. The pharmacist told my boyfriend that i should come in for a job as soon as the class was over(6months from then). He told my bf he would have hired me on the spot even before the schooling because it showed a real effort. (he didnt want to hire the girl with no exp...but at the time had no other choice). This guy showed a real intrest in working with me before meeting me just because i was going to school for something on my own (even if you can get on the job training). Anyways turns out the local school cancelled the class because no body had signed up (yea so skrew me haha). I couldnt find any other local hands on class so i turned to the idea of online schooling. After finding a few i choose Penn Foster, because they are in PA, which is only a state away. Before i signed up for penn foster , I wanted to make sure that that pharmacist would accept something like that. My boyfriend had another chance to see him for work, so he asked. He said that would be fine, to take the class online, and still come see him when i was done. He said if he doesnt have a spot open by then he knows alot of other pharmacist in the area that he could direct me to.
So from what i can see so far, schooling isnt a bad thing. Yes that girl got hired with no exp, but she got lucky. From the sounds of it the pharmacist already wanted to fire her for a person he hasnt ever met (for the fact that i was doing it on my own and made it a whole process...not just walking in and asking for an application).

K-La in Port Jervis, New York

72 months ago

also, he said without a certifiate (in queens, ny) you would make 9-9.50 hr--
With a certifiate the pay would be 15-16hr.

June in Marietta, Georgia

72 months ago

Derek in Moorefield, West Virginia said: I will get experience with the internship dumbass

You asked for advice. He gave you his advice. You then called him a dumbass. That is not cool.

dan in Middle Village, New York

71 months ago

In some states you cannot take the exam without getting a number from a training facility, stating that you have been trained.

jbhonore in Skokie, Illinois

70 months ago

somewhat confused in Chicago, Illinois said: I had went to the Pharmacy Technician School on 4710 W Irving Park Rd in chicago as posted in the first message. My sister told me here friend can get me a job because she did the same school. I admit that the PTCB Exam review that I received was bad, but the course was 900, compared to 10,000 from other community colleges. The teacher said that the 10,000 courses were the same thing except that they discussed in depth things that aren't important andleft you with a large bill. My class meet twice a week for 4 hours and I thought it would've been longer. I am now finding it hard to study for the PTCB Exam, even after picking up more study material. The teacher also didn't want us to order the Exam review book that went along witht he course book because she said it wasn't necessary and that everything you need pass is in that one. Worse yet I can't reach the school because it seems they changed their number as some construction was done and they moved into the building next to it.

All I did was order the pharmacytrainer.com book and I passed the test the first time. Don't waste time with classes unless it is a actually school (generally a community college

KuntryGal in Columbia, Tennessee

70 months ago

I started classes at University of Phoenix online about 5 months ago. When I graduate I will have an Associate's degree in healthcare, but now I am wondering if going through school is going to be worthwhile. I was wanting to be a pharmacy tech, but after reading these posts I am not so sure anymore. I am wondering if my Associate's degree will allow me to get into any type of medical job, does anyone know?

Tech in Sulphur Springs, Texas

69 months ago

I have been working in pharmacy since March of 1987 & I started at a little retail store as a clerk. I worked there for a couple of years then went to work at a hospital for 15 years, became a pharmacy sales representative & now I work a large retail chain. I have seen that some tech schools are decent, & eventually it will & maybe in some states to attend. Find a pharmacy association & join & attend those meetings. You will be able to learn about opportunities, network & gosh you will feel good about yourself & career. My advise get your foot in the door at some type of pharmacy work you tail off, learn everything you can get your hands, take the PTCB exam & register with your state(if that the regulation). You will learn anywhere, but you retain & be a good employee if get your hands dirty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Mesa, Arizona

69 months ago

For those thinking of going to any kind of pharmacy tech training program, don't waste your money! I spent over $900 on a pharmacy tech program at Phoenix College in Phoenix, AZ. I graduated at top of my class, passed the PTCB on the first try, and couldn't even find a job. This surprised me after hearing so much BS about Walgreens, Frys, Alberston's, etc community pharmacies always looking for techs. After speaking with a store manager, however, I learned that they prefer to hire people without PTCB certification. Why? Because it saves them money...they pay non-certified techs less while going through the store's training program. And the real kick in the pants was, even if they hire you, you literally don't make much more than someone working at a fast food joint. I didn't know this before hand or I would have spent that money towards a nursing program, where I not only would have had a lot more job opportunities, but would have been making great money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

clneal in Long Beach, California

68 months ago

jeangirl in Loma Linda, California said: Hi, I went to check out my local Everest School here in Southern Cal., I didnt get a great feeling about it, and I didnt like the guy who was trying to sell the school/program to me, im not going to pay them $15,000 to help me be a cert. pharm tech. I would have to get a loan plus start making payments on $6000, 1 month after the program finishes! No Thanks!

Good Job! Most of these SCHOOLS ARE SCAMS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.