Thinking of a 2 year Pharmacy Tech program? Waste of time, money, and heres why....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 161)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

74 months ago

Thinking about attending a 2 year legit jr college? Your probably thinking that this 2 year degree means something, as a pharmacy tech it really does not. The nuts and bolts of the pharmacy tech industry is that pharmacy techs are low wage earners, and you are a slave to the phamacist that owns a nice home because of your efforts. I have heard of people having BS degrees making only $10/hr as a phamracy tech, so what do you think about this 2 year pharmacy tech program now? Ok, congrats, you completed your 2 year pharmacy tech program, you have been hired at $12/hr if your lucky... but wait, the guy that was hired yesterday right off the back ally street was hired at $10.50 - you can finish the rest of the story on your own.

Ok, you have not gone to school yet, but you were thinking of a 2 year degree such as pharmcy tech, dont...

Radiology Tech requires a 2 year degree, once you are hired, your starting pay could be $20-$30/hr depending on location. This is compared to a 2 year pharmacy tech program starting at $10/12hr (if that)

You decide if you want to piss your life away as a pharmacy tech, and stressful days with customers for what little is paid...I know every PT dream is to get into a hospital, well wake up, 95% of pt will never ever see the inside of a hospital with higher wages. Your 2 year pharmacy degree is over, now your stuck in a dead in job.

a 2 year pharmacy tech is career suicide compared to a better
life as a 2 year Radiology Tech...

and if you have not made up your mind yet, read through this forum
on pharmacy tech's and see the unmployment rate for pharmacy tech's...
read post after post, after post on "i can not find a job as a pharmacy tech" it goes on, and on....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

little nicky in Euclid, Ohio

72 months ago

Hey John,
I have been following your post for a few months here.
And over the months the sense of more and more frustration with your situation. But nothing lately. Does this mean you have found a job?
It is a frustrating situation. The "diploma mills" pumping out more and more techs and only so many jobs to go around. I feel for you because you have spent the time and money to go to formal schooling only to discover this. One only has to watch daytime television to see this.."Become a (fill in the blank), only 6 short months....financial aid available...yada yada yada. Of course when these people "graduate" from these programs, they find out the hard way that the school wasn't needed and they wasted the money. No placement, no job, and for some..in debt.
Not to discourage you, but doesn't the job for Rad. Tech make the same kind of claims as the ones for Pharm. tech made?
Anyways, I was just wondering what you were doing now. Did your education finally pay off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Claremont, New Hampshire

69 months ago

Every pharmacist knows that their techs are underpaid. So why not pay pharmacists a measily $5.00 less and give techs $5.00 more? Hmmm- also, why isn't this position unionized? Now there's something to think about!
PS- I am a lowly pharmacy tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Gwen in Claremont, New Hampshire

69 months ago

Good point!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Katherine

67 months ago

Concerning two year college. I am in one, and in a sense, I am rather disappointed. Not about studying for an Associate's Degree to become a pharmacy technician but at how they US' pharmaceutical camp works.

I am very proud to be taking my two year course, I've learned more than I have my whole life and I don't see how you can not take an actual course and pass so easily. There is alot of information that has to sink it, the types of antibiotics, their generics, commercial names, they're action mecanism, the different laws, the requirements, what's illegal, HIPAA, posology, learning how to make certain medicines, remembering their formulas, to know the basics of what each is used for, the different presentations, their benefits, pharmacy abbreviations, it's just so much.

Fact is, in Puerto Rico, the pharmaceutical industries are 10 times more strict than in the US apparently. You can't just become a pharmacy technician right of the bat. You need to have finished high school, have a college degree (of any kind), you need to have completed 1,000 of practice, among other things. Here they REQUIRE you to have studies and you NEED all of that to take your certification to work anywhere. It is completely illegal for someone who doesn't have the studies to work in this field.

Sometimes when I read what you all type it's like...you're working with animals. The pharmacy technician's job is to do everything the pharmacist does except consultations, verify that the prescription is right and to give it to the patient once it's been throughly verified. Pharmacist here except you to have the knowledge to not depend on them in any way and do your job right. Even if you don't give consultations, you need that basic information. You need to know what you're working with, you need the knowledge to be able to respond to certain situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Katherine said: Concerning two year college. I am in one, and in a sense, I am rather disappointed. Not about studying for an Associate's Degree to become a pharmacy technician but at how they US' pharmaceutical camp works.

Who is "you all"? Anyways, that is wonderful that you perceive it that way. You are entitled to your opinion. I also have a degree and I do not agree with you. However, since you are so proud and you feel this way...make sure you stay employed in your country and don't try to come over here. Don't forget to mention that to your relatives & friends who maybe in pharmacy tech school also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

James in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

I work for a pharmacy that is in a union. Unions will screw you just as bad, our company has signed a contract stating that we are not allowed to go on strike. I think think the company and unions are in with each other..something like rub our back, and we will rub yours...nothing but crap, pharmacy techs get screwed once again...what type of BS union is that, you can not go on strike...our union clearly does not fight for higher wages. our 9.00/hr company has a wage freeze for the next 3 years with the union...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

636 in Bayside, New York

67 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Bottom line,.... Pharmacy Technicians don't get the proper compensation for their efforts. I agree with wendy from new hampshire, why not take some of that burdonsome "disposible income" that they have so much trouble spending, and give it to the Techs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Bottom line,.... Pharmacy Technicians don't get the proper compensation for their efforts. I agree with wendy from new hampshire, why not take some of that burdonsome "disposible income" that they have so much trouble spending, and give it to the Techs?

The answer is simple. You can pull anyone off the street, and pay them any dirt amount of money you wish, and someone will be there to do it., on the other hand, you just can not pull a pharmacist off the street, they spend 6 years in school, so all the money is going to go to the pharmacist...any company will pay more to keep a pharmacist rather then a tech..why? because pharmacy techs are a dime a dozen...

If this nation would close the loop hole and require everyone to go to a 2 year school before allowing certification, then you will see pay go up because of shortage, right now there is no shortage for a tech, as they are not required to be educated. If techs were required to be educated, then it would be a completely different story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: The answer is simple. You can pull anyone off the street, and pay them any dirt amount of money you wish, and someone will be there to do it., on the other hand, you just can not pull a pharmacist off the street, they spend 6 years in school, so all the money is going to go to the pharmacist...any company will pay more to keep a pharmacist rather then a tech..why? because pharmacy techs are a dime a dozen...

If this nation would close the loop hole and require everyone to go to a 2 year school before allowing certification, then you will see pay go up because of shortage, right now there is no shortage for a tech, as they are not required to be educated. If techs were required to be educated, then it would be a completely different story.

I am sorry to disagree with you vRose, I don't know what is required to be a Technician in Florida, but here in Maryland (and in a lot of states now) you can't hire someone and train them to be a pharmacy tech. To be a Pharm Tech in maryland you either were grandfathered into the position, or completed a national certification course or taken the test (not an easy task.) You must already be registered as a pharmacy technician just to even be behind the pharmacy counter, which makes it impossible to train someone on the job and then have them take the test. As for education, my hospital requires an additional 10 Continuing education credits on top of the 20 CE credits the maryland board of pharmacy requires per year, and there are limitations to the type of CE we can use. Each Tech in maryland carries his/her own license, and is usually responsible out of pocket for the fees for such a license. Personally, I've met (and worked with) pharmacists that just got out of 6 year's in pharmacy school and quite frankly, it scares me to see the lack of respect they have for the patients, and lack of knowledge they have in the trade that they just spent 6 years learning about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

(continued from above)

You can keep some of these PharmD's I would much rather work with an older RPh, who knows what the hell they are doing. A Tech shouldn't have to check behind his/her Pharmacist. The Pharmacist should be checking the tech. Just food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mikey D in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

Wendy in Claremont, New Hampshire said: Every pharmacist knows that their techs are underpaid. So why not pay pharmacists a measily $5.00 less and give techs $5.00 more? Hmmm- also, why isn't this position unionized? Now there's something to think about!
PS- I am a lowly pharmacy tech

yeahh... that dosent mean you know anything though.. at pharm school you actually learn how any where and why and im a certified tech and ill tell you i dont know squat.. can you say 7-9 years of really hard school and competitive gradschool.. yeah theyve earned their position and earn their pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

eve2 in New Hampshire

67 months ago

yeah you can't just pull anyone off the street. i've worked with a lot
of people off the street because the turnover is so high. you have to
know a lot to be able to deal with everything independently that comes
up throughout a shift. pharmacists know more about medications and their
side effects, interactions, etc, but techs know more about the practical
side of things. i've worked with pharmacists fresh out of school who
don't know how to mix an IV or make a PCA, load something into a Pyxis,
use a prepacking machine, find a medication in stock, place an order...
there is nothing wrong with that, but someone off the street can't just
walk in and do it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

eve2 in New Hampshire said: yeah you can't just pull anyone off the street. i've worked with a lot
of people off the street because the turnover is so high. you have to
know a lot to be able to deal with everything independently that comes
up throughout a shift. pharmacists know more about medications and their
side effects, interactions, etc, but techs know more about the practical
side of things. i've worked with pharmacists fresh out of school who
don't know how to mix an IV or make a PCA, load something into a Pyxis,
use a prepacking machine, find a medication in stock, place an order...
there is nothing wrong with that, but someone off the street can't just
walk in and do it all.

Thank you, absolutely right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Mikey D in Atlanta, Georgia said: yeahh... that dosent mean you know anything though.. at pharm school you actually learn how any where and why and im a certified tech and ill tell you i dont know squat.. can you say 7-9 years of really hard school and competitive gradschool.. yeah theyve earned their position and earn their pay

not really. You do not earn a position just because you went to school for several years, and how they earn respect depends on how they work in a pharmacy. if they can not make it in the pharmacy then they have nothing, and will be looking for more work soon. We had a float one that just refuses to learn anything about the computer or even get on it..how long do you think he will be able to fake his way through??? Does the pharmacist earn his pay for going through 6 years of school? hell yes, but until he proves himself, he has earned nothing else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: (continued from above)

You can keep some of these PharmD's I would much rather work with an older RPh, who knows what the hell they are doing. A Tech shouldn't have to check behind his/her Pharmacist. The Pharmacist should be checking the tech. Just food for thought.

my pic got onto me the other day because I did not follow up on what our float was supposed to do, and a customer got pissed...Are you kidding me...your damn pharmacist should have been properly trained, its not my job to take his is slack..besides, I did not know what he was supposed to do, but I was supposed to...I am not a pharmacist babysitter...
when I am paid $100k/year, then ill think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: I am sorry to disagree with you vRose, I don't know what is required to be a Technician in Florida, but here in Maryland (and in a lot of states now) you can't hire someone and train them to be a pharmacy tech. To be a Pharm Tech in maryland you either were grandfathered into the position, or completed a national certification course or taken the test (not an easy task.) You must already be registered as a pharmacy technician just to even be behind the pharmacy counter, which makes it impossible to train someone on the job and then have them take the test. As for education, my hospital requires an additional 10 Continuing education credits on top of the 20 CE credits the maryland board of pharmacy requires per year, and there are limitations to the type of CE we can use. Each Tech in maryland carries his/her own license, and is usually responsible out of pocket for the fees for such a license. Personally, I've met (and worked with) pharmacists that just got out of 6 year's in pharmacy school and quite frankly, it scares me to see the lack of respect they have for the patients, and lack of knowledge they have in the trade that they just spent 6 years learning about.

so exactly what is the certification requirement? Do they have to attend a 2 year school? if not, then no education is required, thus far, most states allow you to take the certification freely with no schooling.

I can understand people going to school for 6 years, coming out with nothing more then what they learned last month...it is very fast paced, jumping from one subject to another, and I would be surprised that very many could tell about every brand/generic out there. This just shows they made it through school, now comes there future experiance, how they learn, what they apply, how they treat people. after spending 6+ years in school, id be pissed also, im not sure I would be very nice to people... :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Latifa in Vancouver, British Columbia

67 months ago

WOW...i'm so happy to read so many diff opinion from everyone
i was thinking of doing Ph-T program and get a job right away.but after searching here and there have just found out that , it's not fair...for example some people study medical lab assistant and get $20 sharp...just cuz of poking someone , and as a Ph-T , we do alot more that that end up with MAX $18 or $20??
here in vancouver , u can be a ph-T with just a 6 months course and start working next to a pharmacist.
is it possible to get to a hospital??
does it really worth it to go and study for this and do this job for the rest of ur life???
what should i do??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: so exactly what is the certification requirement? Do they have to attend a 2 year school? if not, then no education is required, thus far, most states allow you to take the certification freely with no schooling.

I can understand people going to school for 6 years, coming out with nothing more then what they learned last month...it is very fast paced, jumping from one subject to another, and I would be surprised that very many could tell about every brand/generic out there. This just shows they made it through school, now comes there future experiance, how they learn, what they apply, how they treat people. after spending 6+ years in school, id be pissed also, im not sure I would be very nice to people... :)

You may attend school for it, but it is not required. One may take the test without having completed the course, but lets face facts, how would a guy (or girl) off the street who has never worked as a tech or been "educated" in pharmacy pass the exam? Take in mind that you can not work as a tech here without being registered with the board, and you can't register with the board without certification, and in order to get certified one must be able to pass the exam (which is no easy task).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Latifa in Vancouver, British Columbia said: WOW...i'm so happy to read so many diff opinion from everyone
i was thinking of doing Ph-T program and get a job right away.but after searching here and there have just found out that , it's not fair...for example some people study medical lab assistant and get $20 sharp...just cuz of poking someone , and as a Ph-T , we do alot more that that end up with MAX $18 or $20??
here in vancouver , u can be a ph-T with just a 6 months course and start working next to a pharmacist.
does it really worth it to go and study for this and do this job for the rest of ur life???
what should i do??

The highest paid pharmacy tech I have ever heard of Was my mother, who was a pharmacy tech for over 30 yrs. She was the day manager of a retail Pharmacy and made anywhere from $42,000 - $55,000 (with bonuses and overtime) If anyone knows of someone who made/makes more as a tech tell me, they deserve an award. Tech's don't usually receive more than $30,000 for their efforts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: The highest paid pharmacy tech I have ever heard of Was my mother, who was a pharmacy tech for over 30 yrs. She was the day manager of a retail Pharmacy and made anywhere from $42,000 - $55,000 (with bonuses and overtime) If anyone knows of someone who made/makes more as a tech tell me, they deserve an award. Tech's don't usually receive more than $30,000 for their efforts.

there is no such thing as a pharmacy tech being the manager of the pharmacy...the pharmacy manager is a pharmacist, nobody less then a pharmacist can manage a pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Troy in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

Latifa in Vancouver, British Columbia said: WOW...i'm so happy to read so many diff opinion from everyone
what should i do??

My first job was in a hospital pharmacy. I was hired with no experience. It's quite easy to find a hospital job out here. Some of these wages i see posted here look ridiculous. $35,000 a year should be easy to make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

VRose has a point, a mandatory two year degree program would not only make it more difficult to become a Pharm Tech, it would improve upon the knowledge of the newbees to the trade. Pharmacies would have to compensate for the decrease in applicants by improving the pay scale to make the trade seem more attractive. One thing though, to say that anyone off the street can become a Pharm Tech, is a bit extreme. I have to give credit to my fellow Technicians, the test is not exactly easy. I know people who have been a tech for 10+ years and did not pass the exam the first go round. So, if you've taken the test and have passed, I complement you on a job well done. Passing the test however, does not necessarily "make" us a good tech, you have to actually know the job as well. In fact, does anyone know of a Tech who never worked in pharmacy, never had any on the job training, or formal classes, walked in off the street, took the exam, passed it the first time, and became a pharmacy tech? That is almost impossible, and all I have to say is if someone can do that without having training or classes, being a pharmacy tech is a waste of that person's potential, go be a doctor or something, good job on the exam, but still... go to medical school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: there is no such thing as a pharmacy tech being the manager of the pharmacy...the pharmacy manager is a pharmacist, nobody less then a pharmacist can manage a pharmacy.

I assure you, you do not even have to be a pharmacist to OWN a pharmacy, let alone manage one. The maryland board of pharmacy only requires a licensed pharmacist to be on duty while the store is open to the public. I checked. As I said, a tech can be a manager, I've personally seen it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: I assure you, you do not even have to be a pharmacist to OWN a pharmacy, let alone manage one. The maryland board of pharmacy only requires a licensed pharmacist to be on duty while the store is open to the public. I checked. As I said, a tech can be a manager, I've personally seen it.

you did not mention that little bitty detail. you did not say anything about anyone owning anything..you just said pharmacy tech is manager of the pharmacy...and it does not really matter who owns on it, the pharmacist gets the final say on meds/drugs, not the pharmacy tech/manager, thats law. If she wants to come in and pretend to manager her money, stock, or how things sit on a shelf, then thats fine, but when it comes to prescriptions and people, then the pharmacist is in charge...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Troy in Los Angeles, California said: My first job was in a hospital pharmacy. I was hired with no experience. It's quite easy to find a hospital job out here. Some of these wages i see posted here look ridiculous. $35,000 a year should be easy to make.

How long ago was this. You were one of the lucky ones. I have applied in several hospitals moving through several states. I was only called to one interview, got an email the next day..sorry, you was not selected, not enough experiance...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: VRose has a point, a mandatory two year degree program would not only make it more difficult to become a Pharm Tech, it would improve upon the knowledge of the newbees to the trade. Pharmacies would have to compensate for the decrease in applicants by improving the pay scale to make the trade seem more attractive. One thing though, to say that anyone off the street can become a Pharm Tech, is a bit extreme. I have to give credit to my fellow Technicians, the test is not exactly easy. I know people who have been a tech for 10+ years and did not pass the exam the first go round. So, if you've taken the test and have passed, I complement you on a job well done. Passing the test however, does not necessarily "make" us a good tech, you have to actually know the job as well. In fact, does anyone know of a Tech who never worked in pharmacy, never had any on the job training, or formal classes, walked in off the street, took the exam, passed it the first time, and became a pharmacy tech? That is almost impossible, and all I have to say is if someone can do that without having training or classes, being a pharmacy tech is a waste of that person's potential, go be a doctor or something, good job on the exam, but still... go to medical school.

its not extreme at all to say anyone can come off the street...there is another post on here from someone starting at a hospital with no experiance...and I did not pass the test the first time, its not that big of a deal since you are allowed to take the excpt every month, sooner or later you will pass.

while I and other techs think it is a good idea to have a nationwide 2 year degree, others will not, as employeers would sooner or later have to pay more for techs, and drugs would go up, to cover the costs, and we know insurance compaines do not like to pay a lot, even though I would like to see more dollars in this industry, I just do not think this is going to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

adidas16395 in Port Jervis, New York

66 months ago

I an the Lead IV Tech in my hospital pharmacy. With 3 years of retail and 2 1/2 years of hospital experience, I make $20.60 an hour, and it will go up next year with my yearly raise. Most of this is because we're unionized, I am certified, and the hospital I work for has a horrible reputation which most people overplay, and that makes it hard to get/keep people. I left retail because there's just no money there - it's all in hospitals. Though most places don't offer what I make, most of what I've seen is in the range of $14-18 hourly. There is a lot more involved in hospital pharmacy, but in different aspects. If you're certified, it definitely makes it easier to find a pharmacy job, and usually a higher pay rate goes with that...but it's the knowledge that you acquire on the job over time that really makes a good technician...the certificate is just a piece of paper that says you passed a test, even though it is a very difficult test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

adidas16395 in Port Jervis, New York said: I an the Lead IV Tech in my hospital pharmacy. With 3 years of retail and 2 1/2 years of hospital experience, I make $20.60 an hour, and it will go up next year with my yearly raise. Most of this is because we're unionized, I am certified, and the hospital I work for has a horrible reputation which most people overplay, and that makes it hard to get/keep people. I left retail because there's just no money there - it's all in hospitals. Though most places don't offer what I make, most of what I've seen is in the range of $14-18 hourly. There is a lot more involved in hospital pharmacy, but in different aspects. If you're certified, it definitely makes it easier to find a pharmacy job, and usually a higher pay rate goes with that...but it's the knowledge that you acquire on the job over time that really makes a good technician...the certificate is just a piece of paper that says you passed a test, even though it is a very difficult test.

I would settle for $14/hr if a hospital would even hire me..I have tried over and over, it is not easy as you make it sound, even if you are certified with a piece of paper, maybe as i add more retail experiance, maybe I will one day have better chances. hospitals in our area pay $14/hr to start off, and your $20/hr can be accounted for a couple of reasons, 1- you have experiance, and 2-you live in NY, so we all know NY has a higher rate of pay. I would also think there would be more to a hospital, in retail pharmacy, there is only so much to deal with, so many drugs, but in hospital, there are tons more drugs, tons of other stuff to deal with that retail does not, and so on...and in retail, your chances of full time are slim, as there are just 1-2 full time techs, and everyone else is part-time which is my case, and I would rather have full time, but we will see how the future plays out...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

james in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

Please view the national average and then get back to me. Wages very from state to state. Nevada, for example, Pays more than certain areas, & California Pays more than Maryland. As a Pharmacist, you should know that Techs usually (not always) make more in hospital pharmacies, & Pharmacists usually (not always) make more in retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keshav Bhusal in Kathmandu, Nepal

64 months ago

hi I'am assistant pharmacist registered with Nepal Pharmacy Council. well we have studied over three year for complet Diploma in Pharmacy. and i cant get any related field employment,or they pay so less for me. so i think it is waste of time to study Diploma in pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

in the U.S. there is a pharmacist shortage. It is funny that a pharmacist can get overtime, but yet a tech can not.

Thanks for taking care of your techs pharmacy compaines.

Vidaellenrhodes in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

How did you get your job in the hospital since it seems most want previous hospital experience? Any thing you can suggest for me would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vidaellenrhodes in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

Can you give me any suggestions in helping me find a hospital Pharmacy tech job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mimi178 in Spokane, Washington

64 months ago

hi there. I have worked both in retail and hospital pharmacy as a technician. Though it depends on the state requirements for one to obtain jobs in the pharmacies, i think one shouldn't waste their time going to a 2 yr career school. I was a tech in illinois where all i did was apply at a pharmacy, got hired, signed me up for license, and that was it. It is still not required, tho i hear any new hires must be certified. anyways, i just want to say we as techs do a lot of work to make our moneys worth where the pharmacists just checks, but then again, that's what you get when one does not have the higher degree needed to make that kind of money. it's not fair, but hey what can you do? just putting in my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joseph_Headen in Belleville, Michigan

64 months ago

Im 18 years old..
I work at Mcdonalds,
I've always wanted to work in the medical field,
& I believe that Pharmacy Tech.
Would be qood 4 me.
After I finish,
Im qoinq to soon start colleqe on my [PharmD]
Is this a good idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

mimi178 in Spokane, Washington said: hi there. I have worked both in retail and hospital pharmacy as a technician. Though it depends on the state requirements for one to obtain jobs in the pharmacies, i think one shouldn't waste their time going to a 2 yr career school. I was a tech in illinois where all i did was apply at a pharmacy, got hired, signed me up for license, and that was it. It is still not required, tho i hear any new hires must be certified. anyways, i just want to say we as techs do a lot of work to make our moneys worth where the pharmacists just checks, but then again, that's what you get when one does not have the higher degree needed to make that kind of money. it's not fair, but hey what can you do? just putting in my 2 cents.

I agree with that 100%. If you want a 2 year assoc degree as a pharmacy tech, then your pay will not change much over anothers pay, you will still make $9-12 an hour depending on what pharmacy you get into. a 2 year degree in another field which has shortages of techs (non pharmacy) you will start off around $30,000k/year, and with 1 year experiance, you could earn as much as $50-60k/year. If you just want a two year assoc degree, then it should not be in pharmacy just to be a tech. Pharmacy techs are plentyful, there are other fields that do have actual shortages because a 2 year degree is required....

in my personal opinion, unless the law changes to require a 2 year degree to become a pharmacy tech, then this is pretty much a dead end field, you will never make a lot of money unless you are one of the few that gets into a hospital with overtime, and with todays economy, a lot of compaines are cutting back...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Vidaellenrhodes in Dallas, Texas said: Can you give me any suggestions in helping me find a hospital Pharmacy tech job?

I doubt anyone can help you with that. you can look at online hospital job postings in your area, and you will have to apply online just like everyone else, and hope for the best, and expect the worst.

tinaf in Corpus Christi, Texas

64 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

I agree with you. I have been a tech for 4 years and only make 13.25/hour. I did not go to school for a tech though good thing:) i took my test and past and I do everything at work, my boss calls me his insurance specialist, yeah because I am the only one who knows what to do and half the time have to tell him how to do it. All they do is stand around and talk "politics" while we are there doing all the hard work. We do deserve better pay for everything that we have to deal with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

grif1986 in baxley, Georgia

64 months ago

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Thinking about attending a 2 year legit jr college? Your probably thinking that this 2 year degree means something, as a pharmacy tech it really does not. The nuts and bolts of the pharmacy tech industry is that pharmacy techs are low wage earners, and you are a slave to the phamacist that owns a nice home because of your efforts. I have heard of people having BS degrees making only $10/hr as a phamracy tech, so what do you think about this 2 year pharmacy tech program now? Ok, congrats, you completed your 2 year pharmacy tech program, you have been hired at $12/hr if your lucky... but wait, the guy that was hired yesterday right off the back ally street was hired at $10.50 - you can finish the rest of the story on your own.

Ok, you have not gone to school yet, but you were thinking of a 2 year degree such as pharmcy tech, dont...

Radiology Tech requires a 2 year degree, once you are hired, your starting pay could be $20-$30/hr depending on location. This is compared to a 2 year pharmacy tech program starting at $10/12hr (if that)

You decide if you want to piss your life away as

64 months ago

I am new to the site and I was just reading everyone comment and questions. I seen yours about the program for tech. I just want to say that I agree with you. After what I have been through with the program from my school I have to say that I don't think it is worth it either. In my state right now you can go and applied for a tech job and make that and not even have any for of training. So knowing what I know now. I wouldn't tell anyone to go to school for a tech job. I think that you learn from your mistake. I learn mine. So I not trying to discourage anyone from being about tech. Going to a program for it to me is a bad idea. I had a time at my school with the tech program. I was fine till I got to the IV part.

64 months ago

sorry about just taking away some of what you wrote. Like I said I am new to the site. I wasn't in the right box. Sorry. So just ingore the first reply.

Nicole in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I have just read many posts on the pharmacy tech positions. I have worked my way up to being a pharmacy technician. I have worked in retail pharmacy for years. When asked to take the certification test, I was scared as I did not go to school for it. On my own, I studied and had work experience behind me. I could not believe it when I passed the test, and became certified. Of course, I was promised the world, and received nothing but an ulcer. At my job, there are 2 Cpht. We do everything while the pharmacist calls his friends, checks rx's and basically, sits on his ass. Some of these pharmacists think they are God. They do nothing, and can't be bothered with anything. It is inconvenient for them to wait on a customer, answer the phone or call a doctor for a refill request...thats our job. I have worked in retail pharmacy for 25 years, 15 years as a Cpht. I am so sorry I ever became involved in this rat race. If you are considering Pharmacy Technician school, don't waste your money or time. All you will be is a slave to the pharmacist who has their own agenda on what " work" is. In my opinion, I do agree that they have worked hard in school to become a pharmacist, but I am so tired of working for a chain pharmacy that puts more and more responsibility on the tech, and less and less on the pharmacist but no pay raises for techs, but healthy bonuses for pharmacists........whats wrong with this picture? I am not saying that they don't deserve their pay, but I am saying that tech's do not get what they deserve. I am at the highest level of pay for technicians for my retail chain, and it is a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Nicole in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I have just read many posts on the pharmacy tech positions. I have worked my way up to being a pharmacy technician. I have worked in retail pharmacy for years. When asked to take the certification test, I was scared as I did not go to school for it. On my own, I studied and had work experience behind me. I could not believe it when I passed the test, and became certified. Of course, I was promised the world, and received nothing but an ulcer. At my job, there are 2 Cpht. We do everything while the pharmacist calls his friends, checks rx's and basically, sits on his ass. Some of these pharmacists think they are God. They do nothing, and can't be bothered with anything. It is inconvenient for them to wait on a customer, answer the phone or call a doctor for a refill request...thats our job. I have worked in retail pharmacy for 25 years, 15 years as a Cpht. I am so sorry I ever became involved in this rat race. If you are considering Pharmacy Technician school, don't waste your money or time. All you will be is a slave to the pharmacist who has their own agenda on what " work" is. In my opinion, I do agree that they have worked hard in school to become a pharmacist, but I am so tired of working for a chain pharmacy that puts more and more responsibility on the tech, and less and less on the pharmacist but no pay raises for techs, but healthy bonuses for pharmacists........whats wrong with this picture? I am not saying that they don't deserve their pay, but I am saying that tech's do not get what they deserve. I am at the highest level of pay for technicians for my retail chain, and it is a joke.

and you are just not figuring this out and complaining about it? This is reality...we techs are paid crap because we are just a dime a dozen where the pharmacist might be $5.00 a dozen. We are cheap, and we will remain cheap as long as the U.S. does not require a 2 year degree in order to become certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I have even had a pharmacist tell me "you techs do a lot of the work, we are here just to check" It is a little more complex then that, but he is right. We fill scripts and do everything else in between. the pharmacist has to know everything about their meds, take new scripts, sometimes answer complex questions, and sometimes some complex math, as a tech do you want all that responsibility on you? I do agree we should be paid more for what we do, unless state laws are changed, there is nothing you nor the pharmacist can do about it. the pharmacist will always be more valued then the techs. they can get overtime at mega $$$, while we techs are lucky to get what we are offered, and most of the time, no over-time.

complaining here will do very little. contact your congressman, and tell him to require a 2 year degree
for pharm techs...and if this ever did happen, it would not happen in our life-time. pharmacies have a lot to loose if they have to pay techs more and more $$$

I thought when that pharmacy tech overdosed/kill a baby. I thought I would see this change, but I see nothing, and apparently the U.S. just does not care as this would upset the retail economy if a degree was required to become a tech.

nice going government, you have failed the system once again.

bianca s. in Daly City, California

63 months ago

wow this is interesting. I was thinking of another career path possibly as a pharm. tech. Geez, I did not know it paid so low. I went to one of those schools with a 9 month program in dental assisting. My starting salary was $14.00. The greedy dentist made me take my RDA test and promised a raise. After I passed, her offer was $1.00 more hourly. Forget that! I applied for a job in customer service for an insurance company and started at $17.50. Moved up to the Sales Division and now I am at $60,000 a year. Guess, I'll stick to my job for now..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

bianca s. in Daly City, California said: wow this is interesting. I was thinking of another career path possibly as a pharm. tech. Geez, I did not know it paid so low. I went to one of those schools with a 9 month program in dental assisting. My starting salary was $14.00. The greedy dentist made me take my RDA test and promised a raise. After I passed, her offer was $1.00 more hourly. Forget that! I applied for a job in customer service for an insurance company and started at $17.50. Moved up to the Sales Division and now I am at $60,000 a year. Guess, I'll stick to my job for now..

I guess what you are making now would be fair for the state you are living in, but I doubt anyone would make that kind of money in southern poor states, but pharmacy related insurance does pay more then a pharmacy tech will get, even some of those insurance compaines would like to see some pharmacy tech experiance also.
and yes, the only way you would make $60k/yr as a pharmacy tech was if you were making high end pay with constant overtime. even a tech with 20 years experiance not working in a hospital with no overtime, you would barely make ends meat in todays economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

clneal in Long Beach, California

63 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: and you are just not figuring this out and complaining about it? This is reality...we techs are paid crap because we are just a dime a dozen where the pharmacist might be $5.00 a dozen. We are cheap, and we will remain cheap as long as the U.S. does not require a 2 year degree in order to become certified.

I understand your situation..I would suggest to seek working a hospital environment because you have a great amount of experience..Don't anything get in your way of getting the MONEY!or RESPECT U DESERVE!!! and also the way to look at this is that you have the advantage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.