student training/volunteer work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 127)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Sunny in Carrollton, Texas

89 months ago

Does anyone know who might take phlebotomy students for clinical training or that will take students for volunteers preforming phlebotomy in Dallas Texas? Thanks Sunny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (351) / No (63) Reply - Report abuse

nicole stone in Bronx, New York

84 months ago

I would Like to start working as a phlebotomist however,companies want at least 6mths-1yr.of experience.How can I get some experience if I just became certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (569) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

Sunny Hasper in Carrollton, Texas

84 months ago

Your training in phlebotomy should count for some experience and if you did an externship, that should count plus the experience of working in the field should give you an advantage. Make sure the experience is noted on your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sassygirl in Jeromesville, Ohio

84 months ago

Hi Sunny and Nicole. I am a phlebotomist also and have been right where you are now. My advise is apply to the American Red Cross, they hire new phlebs and also try teaching hospitals in your area. Lab Corp and Quest are also a few places to try. If it says they want 2 yrs experience tough they got my resume anyways. Don't give up girls you can do it believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Phlebotomist and Medical Assistant in Brooklyn, New York

83 months ago

Hey sassygirl thank u so much for your words of encouragement in a time of distress, it means a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sassygirl in Jeromesville, Ohio

82 months ago

Phlebotomist and Medical Assistant in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey sassygirl thank u so much for your words of encouragement in a time of distress, it means a lot.

Not a problem I have been on the other end and it's not a pleasant experience when you cannnot find anything. Can get discouraging and make you want to give up. My advise is keep it up, send those resumes if you have sent them 20 times send it one more. Phlebotomy is a forgive the expression "entry level" most phlebs go onto school so the turnover is pretty high (at least from my experience), and you never know when the next one will leave. I have seen alot of phlebs come and go, if you work in a hosptial you will see exactly what the turnover is, pretty amazing. I speak from experience when I say that, we are almost always short at work at least the past 3 years anyways LOL. Keep at it your efforts will be rewarded. I know in my class they made it seem like everyone would hire you and you would be turning down job after job, not the case but they are out there. Go out and get them, you can do it. Good luck on your search. Took me 8 months to land the first job after that it's all cakework, then you will be turning down job after job LOL Please keep me posted. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

zara in Somerset, New Jersey

81 months ago

whts the requirment of job???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

zara in Somerset, New Jersey

81 months ago

whts the requirment of job..who take the blood of pateint in lab????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SABRINA

81 months ago

nicole stone in Bronx, New York said: I would Like to start working as a phlebotomist however,companies want at least 6mths-1yr.of experience.How can I get some experience if I just became certified?

NICOLE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO VOLUNTEER OR HAND ON TRAINING AT A LOCAL HOSPITAL OR MEDICAL CLINIC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mo in Hempstead, New York

76 months ago

nicole stone in Bronx, New York said: I would Like to start working as a phlebotomist however,companies want at least 6mths-1yr.of experience.How can I get some experience if I just became certified?

hi nicole, thanks for posting this quesion. you see I'm right where you were and it's been 4 months and very frustrating. It's hard when you have a family. i want to thank all who gave advise to nicole because it is helping alot of us who are in that position. Thanks and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

g in La Mesa, California

73 months ago

any body can give some advice to volunteer as a certified phlebotomy tech any where in san diego?every where you apply for the job they ask 6-1 year exp. How we can gain exp without having job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Citrus Heights, California

73 months ago

I got my phlebotomy licince April 2007 and I am also told to go get experience first. I ended up getting a Nursing Assitant program Februaty this year (2008)and April I started working. It is not my favourate job/profession but atleast I am doing something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cpt1 in Winchester, California

73 months ago

Nancy in Citrus Heights, California said: I got my phlebotomy licince April 2007 and I am also told to go get experience first. I ended up getting a Nursing Assitant program Februaty this year (2008)and April I started working. It is not my favourate job/profession but atleast I am doing something.

Are you a CNA?... how long is the course to get certify?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in New York, New York

73 months ago

I received a phlebotomy degree and ekg degree in Manhattan Istitute and still have no hands on experience. What can I do just for experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

christine

73 months ago

gosh, i can't believe what i'm reading i'm a cpt1 in california and can not find a job! i feel like ripping out my hair, i apply every where and no replies, or i'm not qualifired because i have no experience. my school offers no job help at all and i don't know what to do next, and i don't want to give up. help, help, help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

g in La Mesa, California

73 months ago

It is so hard to get experience.Do yo know some where I can volunteer as a phlebotomist and get experience be able to apply for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

g in La Mesa, California

73 months ago

you are not the only one who is tired not geting job as phlebotomy tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GUESS WHO in Lemon Grove, California

72 months ago

g in La Mesa, California said: It is so hard to get experience.Do yo know some where I can volunteer as a phlebotomist and get experience be able to apply for the job.

AMERICAN RED CROSS my paperwork is in the process there to volunteer as a phlebotomist at the Naval hospital. It is hard to find work without the 6m-1yr experience. Go to their website www.sdarc.org and you do an online background check and attend an orientation which is 3 hours. Then your paperwork is processed. Right now getting into the Naval hospital is slow for phlebotomy but I would encourage to try it anyways. They also offer Camp Pendleton as another location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANNA in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

Christine in New York, New York said: I received a phlebotomy degree and ekg degree in Manhattan Istitute and still have no hands on experience. What can I do just for experience?

HEY CHRISTINE,I ALSO RECEIVED MY PHLEBOTOMY AND EKG DEGREE AT MANHATTEN INSTITUTE.I ALSO AM LOOKING FOR HANDS ON TRAINING OF SOME SORT SO I CAN REFRESHEN MY MEMORY,IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVE LEFT THE SCHOOL.I CAN'T REMEMBER TO MUCH SINCE THEN TILL NOW,UNFORTUNENTLY !I'AM LOOKIN FOR THE SAME RIGHT NOW,IF YOU SO HAPPEN TO COME ACROSS ANY FREE TRAININGS OR VOLUNTEER WORK I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU SHARE THAT INFO WITH ME AND I WILL DO THE SAME I HAVE YOUR COTACT INFO, TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK.HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

No problem. When I learn something I will share this with you. Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in San Diego, California

72 months ago

I am a part of the Volunteer Resources Department with the American Red Cross, and I just wanted to report that the American Red Cross (in San Diego) can no longer accept Phlebotomy Volunteers due to the influx of volunteers we have received. We have no placements available at NMCSD, Balboa or Camp Pendleton. I came on here looking for referrals for the 20 plus volunteers we are trying to place currently. Any leads on volunteer opportunities?

Jackie1919 Van Sant in Upland, California

72 months ago

I just got my text score back this week for phlebotomy. so now I am waiting for my license to come back to me. I want to know if anyone know were a good place to start. so, I can get my experience. I live in upland ca. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elisa in New York, New York

72 months ago

christine said: gosh, i can't believe what i'm reading i'm a cpt1 in california and can not find a job! i feel like ripping out my hair, i apply every where and no replies, or i'm not qualifired because i have no experience. my school offers no job help at all and i don't know what to do next, and i don't want to give up. help, help, help

I also have the certificate in Phlebotomy and trying to find a volunteer job on it. can't find it. I also went to Manhattan Institute and no experience either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abc in La Mesa, California

72 months ago

apply in lab corp I am just hired hurry up!!!!!

Elisa in Stamford, Connecticut

72 months ago

abc in La Mesa, California said: apply in lab corp I am just hired hurry up!!!!!

hired here in NY/Stamford?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANNA in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

HOW CAN I APPLY ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lito in Antioch, California

71 months ago

christine said: gosh, i can't believe what i'm reading i'm a cpt1 in california and can not find a job! i feel like ripping out my hair, i apply every where and no replies, or i'm not qualifired because i have no experience. my school offers no job help at all and i don't know what to do next, and i don't want to give up. help, help, help

same here christine, got my phle license but no one give me opportuniy to the job, so i end up with nursing assistant it's kinda nasty but atleast im earning money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LEMON GROVE in Lemon Grove, California

71 months ago

g in La Mesa, California said: any body can give some advice to volunteer as a certified phlebotomy tech any where in san diego?every where you apply for the job they ask 6-1 year exp. How we can gain exp without having job.

There is no location but the red cross that accepts volunteers for phlebotomy. I just got hired as a phlebotomist by posting my resume online at monster.com. It took me about a month after I got my certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Carlsbad, California

71 months ago

This is the Red Cross Volunteer Coordinator. We are not accepting any more phlebotomy volunteers due to an influx of volunteers. Please check with your school for internships/volunteer opportunities. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Breaux in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

would like to be informed when you are accepting volunteer on a part time basic

Chrissy in Carlsbad, California

71 months ago

Please view the Red Cross website at www.sdarc.org, click on Volunteer and then Volunteer Opportunities to see if we are offering phlebotomy volunteer positions. At this time, however, WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING phlebotomy volunteers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Silly in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

well, they should just abolish the Phlebotomy course whats that for?? Cant get a job

nayana0731@hotmail.com in Piscataway, New Jersey

69 months ago

How can find phlebotomist job without experience

69 months ago

You can't find a job without experience in that Phlebotomy field. So the best thing to do is find a lab where you can volunteer, and that's hard too. But if you know someone who could help you get in, that will work too. Coz when I had blood drawn the other day I asked the Phlebotomist how did she get her job she said she knows someone inside. Oh well, that's what's happening nowadays. Business cares more of who will give more money for them, they don't have time to train new people. If you have 10-20 years experience as a Phlebotomist, You're IN but if you are just a new kid on the block, who is willing to work and do the best you can and more faster as well as being very careful, they don't care about you. So sad ha. But that's what reality is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

its me in San Diego, California

69 months ago

zen in New York, New York said: i have phlebotomy certified few month ago, i try to look for the job but everyone require the experience at less one year. however, there are no people hire me how can i get the experience. also, i tried to go to hospital to learn and become a volunteer but the hospital not require too. they didn't allow me to do that. so, how can i get the experience? someone who can tell me.

Try to go to the American Red Cross, because they usually have something set up with the hospital espicially if you have a learning hospital in your area. Also apply at the clinics they have less requirements and alot of them don't require experince. I got my job by putting my resume on monster.com. Also try to look into mobile phlebotomy.

Chrissy in San Diego, California

69 months ago

I'm the Volunteer Program Coordinator at the American Red Cross in San Diego. I have been keeping abreast to the comments on this posting, and I wanted to inform you that the Red Cross has a LONG waiting list for Phlebotomy volunteers. We are not placing more than 2 per month; so, I would suggest going to your school and/or academic counselor, requesting some places to volunteer. I would also check out the free drug clinics and/or civilian hospitals for volunteer positions.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

its me in San Diego, California

69 months ago

I was told that besides the American Red Cross, The Samahan Clinic takes volunteers for phlebotomy. I can tell you NONE of the major hospitals take volunteers for phlebotomy. I hope that helps those who are looking for experience.

Janie27 in Fort Worth, Texas

69 months ago

Sunny in Carrollton, Texas said: Does anyone know who might take phlebotomy students for clinical training or that will take students for volunteers preforming phlebotomy in Dallas Texas? Thanks Sunny

What's the "START Pay" in DFW after you get you CERTIFIED?

thecropchick in baltimore, Maryland

69 months ago

I'm the Volunteer Program Coordinator at the American Red Cross in San Diego. I have been keeping abreast to the comments on this posting, and I wanted to inform you that the Red Cross has a LONG waiting list for Phlebotomy volunteers.

***********************************************************************************

Is this in all states or just CALF

shameemheyliger in Federal Way, Washington

69 months ago

Is there a hospital in the Seattle area that is doing on the job training for Phlebotomy? looking for change in career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

unsuccessful in Spring Valley, California

69 months ago

Ive had my certificate for 4 months now and have been applying for numerous jobs in San Diego and Los Angeles, but I still havent found a job. Ive tried looking for places to volunteer at and they tell me they cant accept me as a phlebotomist voluteer due to insurance purposes. Can someone help me or lead me to finding a job??

69 months ago

U need to go HPSO.com and buy the malpractice insurance that is necessity nowadays if you want to go volunteer and it's not only for people who wants to go volunteer also for those people who actually has a paid job in the healthcare field, that is to protect your license and also to protect the facility or hospital. I bought that insurance for 44 dollars and that is covered up to a million of dollars they will email you the certificate and you need to print that out and give to the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unsuccessful in Spring Valley, California

69 months ago

i didnt know you can buy malpractice insurance. Thanks for the info i will be sure to go on the site and buy it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I was shocked too when I realized you can buy malpractice insurance for phlebotomy. I figured in this day and age where everyone is sue happy, why not invest in it!

ahc.lockton-ins.com/pl/index_html

68 months ago

Yes, you can buy it now. I called my school if they know any website or company where I can buy malpractice insurance and they gave me the HPSO.com Healthcare provider services organization. Anyway, even though you have the malpractice insurance it's still hard to get a volunteer job to give you more experience, that eventually can help you get a job. You actually need someone who is working inside the lab of the hospitals that could help you get in. Big hospitals nowadays won't just get any people who applied or volunteer. I got my volunteer job because a friend of mine helped me. And I also talked to one phlebotomist here in Calif. when I need to go for a blood evaluation I asked her how she got her job she told me her friend helped her. So it's really important that you know someone as your reference who is working in the hospital where you have interest to work. It happens anywhere even to my country where I originally from we have to face to the truth about this, I know it's hard but if you really want something you will do your best to get it. People help people and friends is an investment. Maybe start making friends or try to involve yourself to an organization where you can actually meet people of your own field that eventaully can help you find your way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

try to involve yourself to an organization where you can actually meet people of your own field
*********************************************************************************

That hard in Maryland. There aren't any orgainizations, atleast I don't know of any

mnisbet in Edwardsville, Illinois

68 months ago

i was wondering where in St. Louis can i find a job, say in a hospital or some type of health care area, where i may volunteer for a given amount of time then possibly hired later on.

keiyana in Downey, California

68 months ago

i have been out of school since 2003 and no one would hire me with no exp its now 2009 and ever yr i have to renew my L's i still have no job and i cant find anywhere to volunteer im in bellflower,ca can anyone HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Have you tried to volunteer anywhere????????????????????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Sunny in Carrollton, Texas said: Does anyone know who might take phlebotomy students for clinical training or that will take students for volunteers preforming phlebotomy in Dallas Texas? Thanks Sunny

red cross

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.