Is it tedious to get licensed in another state after moving?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

DZ in Buffalo, New York

57 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to the local community college in western New York (where I live) for their 2-year PTA program, resulting in becoming a licensed PTA in NY.

I've looked at just about every aspect of it, and found most of the answers I've needed to make me comfortable and confident with the work, except one question that doesn't seem to be very clear, and hopefully someone here has experience with this.

Say one were to get licensed in one state (New York in my case), and worked in that state for a year or so after school, and then decided they wanted to move to a different state and work as a licensed PTA there.

1.) What typically is the process for people that have already been licensed and working in one state, to get licensed and start working in another? I'm particularly considering Texas, as I've been there a few times and loved it, but possibly Florida since pay and work availability for PTA seems to be really good there since it seems to be the official retirement state.

2.) How much time would one have to wait on average between making the decision to get licensed in another state and actually being licensed and able to work there? Are we talking more than a month?

Any other relevant info such as sticking points and things to watch for and consider would be great.

Thanks,
DZ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Brookline, Massachusetts

56 months ago

Wish someone would respond to this, I'm quite curious myself! I'm originally from Miami, and currently finishing up school in Boston. I'm not sure if i should sign up for the boards in florida or mass, and if i do one and not the other, how hard will it be to transfer? is there a national test that will suffice for all states?
thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Lexington, Kentucky

56 months ago

Hi, Once you take the NPTAE and pass it is not hard to transfer your license to another state. Each state has different waiting periods for licensure but if you have all of the required documents it should not be that long. The main thing is passing the NPTAE and receiving a score that is also accepted in the other state. I think most states accept it if it is over 600 points.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Brookline, Massachusetts

56 months ago

Okay, thanks for the information!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lnjo

51 months ago

I went to school and took the state boards with a passing grades in the state of Fla. I worked in Fla. for one year before relocating to Co. There a PTA doesnt need anything. Somewhere while I was still living in Co. after 17 years, I took a job in Wy. I just had to fill out papers and that took it took a few months. My score from Fla was enough to get my license in Wy. So I lived in Co. and worked in WY, AND I forgot to mention, the entire time I lived in CO, I paid my fees every two years for Fla. making sure I took my CEU's. The cost was I think $72.00. Good thing I kept my Fla going as I had to move back to Fla and I got worked no problem because I kep the license up for 18 years. Now I want to head to NY and work and be with my family. Now does anyone know how I can do that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

51 months ago

When I went from Texas to Illinois, I had to pay & verify my:
-PTA license in Texas
-Proof of degree
-board scores
Naturally, all of these places wanted $ to do this. All of these had to be official, from the above people, not by me. Nevermind the fact that in most states you can verify this info for free online. After dealing with all that (and knowing that I would be up there less than 2 years), I decided to keep my Texas PTA license active, just giving them a change of address. I didn't want to re-do all that to come back.

vivi in Asheville, North Carolina

47 months ago

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas said: When I went from Texas to Illinois, I had to pay & verify my:
-PTA license in Texas
-Proof of degree
-board scores
Naturally, all of these places wanted $ to do this. All of these had to be official, from the above people, not by me. Nevermind the fact that in most states you can verify this info for free online. After dealing with all that (and knowing that I would be up there less than 2 years), I decided to keep my Texas PTA license active, just giving them a change of address. I didn't want to re-do all that to come back.

Do you know how it works for a traveling PTA?d

Kduer in Lexington, Kentucky

36 months ago

I am a private practice owner who is growing and looking for a prn PTA to help provide coverage. Initially this will be a minimal amount of hours as things keep growing but could become more as the practice grows. Please contact me if you know anyone interested in the Lexington, KY area.

josyjmj@gmail.com. in New City, New York

1 month ago

i am josy pta from ny. i likes to transfer my pta license to texas. can anyone advice me

PTAgirl in Larkspur, California

1 month ago

If you're a traveling PTA, the company pays for everything and helps you through the paperwork. Otherwise, contact the PT board for that state and find out what is needed. CA has a 50 question state laws test.......and I wouldn't let that one lapse as it's not a fun one. :)

1 month ago

PTAgirl in Larkspur, California said: If you're a traveling PTA, the company pays for everything and helps you through the paperwork. Otherwise, contact the PT board for that state and find out what is needed. CA has a 50 question state laws test.......and I wouldn't let that one lapse as it's not a fun one. :)

Thanks a lot for your information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 days ago

hi
i am new to this country, i have NY PTA license , i would like to transfer my license to texas, what you mean by traveling PTA

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.