Tips for getting into PTA school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

AnnieSmith in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

Hi,
I will be applying to the PTA program at Arapahoe Community College in Colorado soon. Does anyone have any helpful tips? My background is not in the medical field but I have completed all of the job shadowing (loved it!) and prerequisite classes with good grades. I am really excited to change careers and work in a meaningful field that encourages healthy living.

I have heard that the program is very competitive and I am nervous about this.

Thanks for your help!
Annie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pta in Binghamton, New York

41 months ago

Get all A's for the pre-reqs!..and volunteer for 50 hours at a hospital in the PT department

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Maryville, Tennessee

41 months ago

I agree with the previous comment. To get into my program, you needed all 'A's in your pre-reqs...plus 30 observation hours and a strong interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AnnieSmith in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

Thanks to both of you for the great advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DaveMan in Pepperell, Massachusetts

40 months ago

Does having a bachelors degree in an unrelated field like business help you out much? My GPA was kinda average 3.0 though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Knoxville, Tennessee

40 months ago

Overall, I think a BS Degree does help in the following ways...

In terms of admission to the PTA program, my college gave 'points' for a previous degree. We had 115 people apply to the PTA program; they only accepted 21. About 2/3 of us have at least a bachelor's degree (one student has a master's).

Once admitted, I think a previous degree can really help you know how to study, take tests, etc. The PTA program is pretty tough, so those are handy skills to have in place.

Finally, I believe that you are more employable and have better opportunities for advancedment (maybe into managing a clinic, for example) with a BS.

Dan in Denver, Colorado

34 months ago

I am looking at PTA programs in Colorado. There are four accredited programs here. In your opinion, which one is the best? How are the instructors?

Future PTA in Renton, Washington

34 months ago

I have consistently heard that the program in Arapahoe has teachers that are a total nightmare. If I remember correctly, their attrition rate is quite high. When I was considering applying there, I had some interactions (albeit limited) with the program head. I didn't apply there, I'll leave it at that.

Dan in Denver, Colorado

33 months ago

Future PTA in Renton, Washington said: I have consistently heard that the program in Arapahoe has teachers that are a total nightmare. If I remember correctly, their attrition rate is quite high. When I was considering applying there, I had some interactions (albeit limited) with the program head. I didn't apply there, I'll leave it at that.

I have heard from students that the attrition rate is at least 50% at Arapahoe.

Matt in Aurora, Colorado

29 months ago

I have a question also. I am planning on applying next year and was wondering, if I have failed (d) in a class thats not a pre req will that significantly hurt my chances of getting into the program? Super nervous about that!!!!!

Matt in Aurora, Colorado

29 months ago

Does getting a D on a class thats not a required pre req hurt your chances of getting into this program at Arapahoe? I plan on applying next year and am suuper nervous about this!

Who's down with MCC? in Denver, Colorado

29 months ago

Matt if your a guy you don't have much of a chance of making it through the program. Go to Morgan CC instead.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.