Admissions with Low GPA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 350)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

anita in Ashland, Virginia

70 months ago

Monisha in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have a 2.5 gpa and I really want to get into pa school. Im trying to stay in school for an extra semester inorder to take the pre-reqs I need and to retake some classes. I had a few bad sems due to health related issues and now im still struggling but I dont want to graduate and not have anything to do. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good programs or just programs that I would get into( im so willing to relocate at this point). Pleas someone give me some advice.

Monisha, try University of Maryland, Eastern Shore...I am going to apply there also, my gpa is lower than yours...chin up. I think their gpa limit is 2.0.....I barely make it in that bracket! website is www.umes.edu
good luck!
btw, it is a bachelor program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

msvalleylou in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

There are programs that do not participate in the CASPA service.They are ARC-PA accredited just like CASPA participating programs. CASPA is a service that simply offers a central place to apply to more than one program. School pay heavily for the service. Some simply choose not to use the service.
It is completely not true that you need a masters degree to take the PANCE!!! there are programs that offer cirtificates only or associates etc and all these students can and must take the PANCE to become licensed.
try looking at a forum that offers real practical advice:
www.physicianassistantforum.com for example
also look at the AAPA website

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

har9105 in Oviedo, Florida

61 months ago

Did you guys ever make in through the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Farmington, Connecticut

59 months ago

Ally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I am a sophomore Bio major who plans on becoming a PA, and i didn't take my freshman year too seriously I have an F on my transcript in Bio 2 I took it this summer an got a B. I average a B for my average grades will that not get me into school? should i just switch majors now?

Ally I had poor grades my freshman year and my overall GPA suffered a lot. But its important to stress your science classes! getting good grades in you science courses will overwhelmingly help when applying for PA.
As for switching majors... if your school has a PA program GET IN IT! If not the bio major usually includes all the prereq that many PA programs have. So it wouldnt be bad to stay in it and study harder!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Allendale, Michigan

59 months ago

Hey im also in Michigan! I have a 3.18 G.P.A and I'm struggling to keep it up. I work as certified nurse aide, volunteer and job shadow like crazy! I would like to stay in Michigan but is that enough to get in? Eric, I'm pretty sure you prior experience should be enough just get some good letters of recommendation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer28 in New Jersey

58 months ago

According to CASPA my science GPA is 3.14 and cumulative GPA 3.32. Arcadia just rejected me because they said my GPA's were non-competitive! How could a 3.3 be noncompetitive if their website says the minimum GPA to apply is 3.0? I guess it just depends on the school and the applicant pool because I just got invited to interview for Pace University.

Pace Univ. gives a 4 hour group interview. I am not sure what to expect because all the email said was that 25 applicants are interviewed per group. Any pointers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

missnjit in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

58 months ago

Jennifer28 in New Jersey said: According to CASPA my science GPA is 3.14 and cumulative GPA 3.32. Arcadia just rejected me because they said my GPA's were non-competitive! How could a 3.3 be noncompetitive if their website says the minimum GPA to apply is 3.0? I guess it just depends on the school and the applicant pool because I just got invited to interview for Pace University.

Pace Univ. gives a 4 hour group interview. I am not sure what to expect because all the email said was that 25 applicants are interviewed per group. Any pointers?

Hi Jennifer28, wow!! I am a Pre-PA student and I am soo afraid at how competitive these schools are in NJ/PA! My GPA is 3.3 too and did you have a lot of experience in the healthcare industry? How many hours did you have? They may considered that as well...but my email address is missnjit@yahoo.com if you want to contact me directly. I am alwasy looking out for PA students in NJ/PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shenae01 in Gainesville, Florida

58 months ago

Hi I'm a senior and I would love to get into PA school. My overall GPA is a 3.4 BUT my science GPA is a 2.92...I am currently doing an internship in which I am getting hours for PA school and will take a year off to get at least 1000 hours...I am afraid that I won't be accepted into any schools, I would like to go to school in Florida but if not I am willing to go to Georgia...Any pointers on schools that offer a M.S but is not as competitive? And any pointers on how to become more competitive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Stockton, California

58 months ago

Hi, I have a low GPA and I am a Bio major. I will be done with my B.S this December and really wish to get into any P.A program. I have a huge dental assistant background, but nothing from health care. I wonder if it's acceptable and any school that is a little less competitive to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sprinkles in Navarre, Florida

57 months ago

Arcadia rejected me for a noncompetitive GPA too and I have a 3.4. Best of luck to you guys though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sprinkles in Navarre, Florida

57 months ago

Arcadia just rejected me today due to a noncompetitive GPA and I have a 3.4. Best of luck to you guys though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer28 in Ringwood, New Jersey

57 months ago

sprinkles in Navarre, Florida said: Arcadia just rejected me today due to a noncompetitive GPA and I have a 3.4. Best of luck to you guys though!

You're not the only one. How is a 3.4 non-competitive? I don't get it! Their minimum gpa to apply is 3.0. They just interviewed the top GPA's which is bull b/c there is more to an applicant than just grades!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sprinkles in Gainesville, Florida

57 months ago

Shenae01 in Gainesville, Florida said: That is very disappointing :( I might be in the same position.

Hey I'm in gainesville too! Did you apply to UF? I don't feel like taking a year off to get hours(but I may have to if things don't work out : / ) so I didn't apply to uf. I'm interviewing at Nova Orlando on Monday--Where else did you apply? My GPAs are exactly like yours... Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shenae in Gainesville, Florida

57 months ago

Hey...do you go to UF?! I haven't applied anywhere yet because I'm taking a year off to get my hours and take a couple more advanced science classes to make myself more competitive ...a PAIN but I figure it's my best bet :/ wow! I really want to go to Nova in Orlando! and you got an interview! Congrats and Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

crystal34 in High Point, North Carolina

57 months ago

Was wondering if someone has this same issue. I've struggled with my weight all my life and the past couple years have been trying to get a handle on it because I feel like I will be looked over as a worthy applicant if I'm overweight. I was interviewed last year at 230lbs (although I felt I dressed well) however couldn't get away from the fact that I was the heaviest of all the interviewees there. I wasn't accepted (which made me wonder why...) however I actually got another interview in Jan 2010 at the same school which I was ecstatic about. Since last year I've lost about 17 pounds, not a lot but I'm afraid it will hurt my chances again. I've worked so hard all my life in school and work, and I'm afraid that even though I have the papers to prove it, they'll pass on me because of my weight. Anyone ever had experience with this? Anyone have words of encouragement? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Hi Crystal34,
Are you sure your weight is as much of an issue as you think it is? It sounds as though you are preoccupied with it, perhaps it is more of an issue to you then it is to them. I don't think your weight should be a factor as long as you are as confident and driven as the other students trying to get in. I wish you the best! Oh and congrats on losing 17 pounds! That's definitely an accomplishment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crystal34 in High Point, North Carolina

57 months ago

sprinkles in Gainesville, Florida said: Hi Crystal34,
Are you sure your weight is as much of an issue as you think it is? It sounds as though you are preoccupied with it, perhaps it is more of an issue to you then it is to them. I don't think your weight should be a factor as long as you are as confident and driven as the other students trying to get in. I wish you the best! Oh and congrats on losing 17 pounds! That's definitely an accomplishment!

Thanks, yeah it's probably more of an issue to me, but this has been my dream for so long, and I worry about anything that can affect my chances. I appreciate your reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

koko in Carol Stream, Illinois

57 months ago

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Shenae! I just wanted to let you know that I've been accepted to Nova-Orlando!!! There is hope!!! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shenae in Pompano Beach, Florida

57 months ago

OMG! Congrats! there really is hope...did you get the hours that they wanted or did you just reply? I wanted to know if I could get your email address to possibly stay in contact...It would be awesome to have someone who accomplished what I am trying to accomplish! That is awesome! Congrats again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Thank you! I would love to be in contact--I just don't want to post my email on this site, because I don't think these posts are deletable. I am trying to think of a way we could find each other...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

are you also on physicianassistantforum.com?

57 months ago

No, I don't but I can make an account...I will let you know when I do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I made the account, my screen name is "shenae"

57 months ago

Oh awesome--Well I don't know how to find you and PM you unless you post something--Or you can private message me if you want : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I posted a comment! :) So you can just search the posts by my name "shenae"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

asdlfkj in Gainesville, Florida

57 months ago

where did you post the comment? i keep searching but i can't find your posts : (

57 months ago

I can't find it also :(, if you want you can visit my website plaza.ufl.edu/shenae and if you scroll to the lower end of the webpage, you will see a link to my email address to the lower left and you can just email me there... Let me know if that works

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sabikun in Farmington, Michigan

56 months ago

hey shenae i wanted to know how many hours did u have for volunteer experienced and what university did u apply and if you can give me their website. thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hi sabikun

I haven't applied to any yet and I probably won't until June 2011. But I am thinking of applying to Nova SouthEastern in Orlando,Florida. As for hours, I will begin my healthcare hours this January and by the end of the semester I should have approximately 300 hours after which I will try to get another 500-700 hours.

The website for NSU-Orlando is www.nova.edu/pa/orlando

Hope this answered your questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Apopka, Florida

56 months ago

sprinkles in Gainesville, Florida said: Shenae! I just wanted to let you know that I've been accepted to Nova-Orlando!!! There is hope!!! : )

Spingkles - do you know when Nova will be finished contacting all the qualified applicants for an interfiew? I am wondering if i dont hear by now for an interview, then maybe its not going to happen this time around?

drh in Gainesville, Florida

55 months ago

sprinkles in Gainesville, Florida said: Shenae! I just wanted to let you know that I've been accepted to Nova-Orlando!!! There is hope!!! : )

How many hours of healthcare experience did you have when you applied? Just curious! I will be applying there for 2011 but I only have like 100 hours so far :(

Nicole in Cape Coral, Florida

55 months ago

any news today....

55 months ago

anything new today....

Scott in Kissimmee, Florida

55 months ago

drh in Gainesville, Florida said: How many hours of healthcare experience did you have when you applied? Just curious! I will be applying there for 2011 but I only have like 100 hours so far :(

Less than 100 hours. ;(

55 months ago

Scott I am also waiting for an interview.....just wondering when you submitted your app?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kaleb48 in Rockville, Maryland

55 months ago

Is GPA really that big of a factor - I have around a 3.2 because I also work part time at a restaurant and things can get really stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Marlton, New Jersey

55 months ago

A lot of people don't realize that PA school is as competitive to get into as medical school. PA schools, especially in my area, get 1000s of applications for around 100 seats. The great majority of students that get accepted into med school have a 3.7 or above and all the students who couldn't get into med school apply for PA programs. Therefore the PA schools get a ton of applicants with the 3.6-3.7 gpa range and if your down by 3.0-3.3 you really don't have a chance. For those who have been rejected their shot at PA school, I would suggest trying an accelerated route nursing program. You'll most likely have all the pre reqs covered already and the program is only 1 year long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

accepted in Gainesville, Florida

55 months ago

Kaleb48,

I wouldn't give up if you have a 3.2 GPA. I was accepted in December and I have an overall GPA of around 3.3. I know it's a case by case kind of thing, but if you have experience, a strong GRE, a great interview, and you've taken a lot of advanced courses beyond the prereqs, I think you definitely have a chance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vitD in San Jose, California

55 months ago

Sean in Marlton, New Jersey said: A lot of people don't realize that PA school is as competitive to get into as medical school. PA schools, especially in my area, get 1000s of applications for around 100 seats. The great majority of students that get accepted into med school have a 3.7 or above and all the students who couldn't get into med school apply for PA programs. Therefore the PA schools get a ton of applicants with the 3.6-3.7 gpa range and if your down by 3.0-3.3 you really don't have a chance. For those who have been rejected their shot at PA school, I would suggest trying an accelerated route nursing program. You'll most likely have all the pre reqs covered already and the program is only 1 year long.

i'd like to disagree to one of your comments. not all people who apply to PA school are people who could not get into med school. believe it or not, many people who apply to PA school actually want to go to PA school and not med school. it might be a touchy subject for some, so i just wanted to clear that up. i also have a 3.0-3.3 gpa, and got into a well known california school. so, Kaleb48..i agree with accepted, rack up some hce hours, study for the GRE and you'll have a good shot! good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Marlton, New Jersey

55 months ago

vitD in San Jose, California said: i'd like to disagree to one of your comments. not all people who apply to PA school are people who could not get into med school. believe it or not, many people who apply to PA school actually want to go to PA school and not med school. it might be a touchy subject for some, so i just wanted to clear that up. i also have a 3.0-3.3 gpa, and got into a well known california school. so, Kaleb48..i agree with accepted, rack up some hce hours, study for the GRE and you'll have a good shot! good luck!

I agree with what you are saying, PA school is obviously not just for med school drop outs. However, many of the people that didn't get into med school pull for PA school in addition to all the students who had their hearts set on PA from the start. You can get into a PA school with a 3.0-3.3, there's no doubt in that, people have done it before you. With that being said though, the 3.3 gpa range is on the lower end of the spectrum and your GRE, experience hours, recommendations and interview really has to be the strength of your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nicki_twiggy1001 in Raleigh, North Carolina

55 months ago

As far as shadowing a PA, do I just pick an office and ask to shadow??? Also how long do people ususally shadow a PA?

55 months ago

Submitted application to Nova in Oct. 2009.... GPA 3.4 No news yet on interview.

accepted in Gainesville, Florida

55 months ago

Scott in Kissimmee, Florida said: Submitted application to Nova in Oct. 2009.... GPA 3.4 No news yet on interview.

Hey Scott--I just wanted to let you know I submitted Oct 2009 as well and I was contacted for an interview in November and accepted in December. Have you called and checked to see if they are missing anything? Good luck! Oh and also, my GPA is lower than yours...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

How much experience in the field do you have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Piscataway, New Jersey

54 months ago

I'm currently a second semester junior at Rutgers University. I've only recently discovered PA profession and have been set on this course. My GPA is a low at the moment. It's a 3.03. But I'm doing everything I can to raise it up by the time I graduate. I hope to graduate with a 3.3

I'm afraid that with my low GPA, i might not have a good chance of getting into a PA school. Can you please give me any advice so I can be a better candidate for the PA program? I already plan on volunteering at the ER as a scribe and I've been told that this counts at hours for patient-care experience. I also plan on taking a year off after graduation so I can work and gain more hours and experience. I currently have 2 jobs, one at a doctor's office and one at a biotech company. Will this give me an edge over other applicants because I do have experience and plan on getting more experience in health care?

I really hope to get into UMDNJ PA program but it's so competitive. I applied for the dual program but got rejected. I am going to apply with the larger pool. How does my chances look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica

54 months ago

thanks for the advice. I didn't know that Caspa makes your grades lower. I got C on both orgo and a C in genetics. I asked the PA program at umdnj what I could do about these grades. They told me i could take a class which is similar to let's say genetics but is a higher level class. If I do well in that class it will show them that I can handle the world load. I've been thinking of taking genetic analysis senior year but I don't know what to do for orgo. Any advice??? I rather not take that class over again but may have to.

I wish you the best of luck in getting to PA school. Have you thought about taking some time off any gaining experience like they want?? Application process can be so stressful but don't give up. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer28 in New Jersey

54 months ago

If you re-take orgo you have to get an A orelse it will look really bad. You should take Biochemistry and try your best to get an A. Caspa calculates your gpa with all grades whether you repeated a class or not. This is my time off. I have about 1000 hours of healthcare experience. I used to work in a physical therapy office and I volunteered at a hospital. Now I work as a lab techinician and have been shadowing a PA since April 09. I already completed all the pre-requisites too. If I don't get off any of the waitlists im on by May I'll do EMT training. I don't know what else to do with myself lol

aaa in Victoria, Texas

54 months ago

Can you get into Cornell PA program, Emory PA program, UTSW or any other PA schools with a GPA of 3.0 and science GPA of 3.0 with 3 years of health care experience as an RN on a surgical floor, ER, ICU, plus, i speak two languages, i am a member of a student senate government at my school, so, how good are my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bigz in Terre Haute, Indiana

54 months ago

Sean in Marlton, New Jersey said: A lot of people don't realize that PA school is as competitive to get into as medical school. PA schools, especially in my area, get 1000s of applications for around 100 seats. The great majority of students that get accepted into med school have a 3.7 or above and all the students who couldn't get into med school apply for PA programs. Therefore the PA schools get a ton of applicants with the 3.6-3.7 gpa range and if your down by 3.0-3.3 you really don't have a chance. For those who have been rejected their shot at PA school, I would suggest trying an accelerated route nursing program. You'll most likely have all the pre reqs covered already and the program is only 1 year long.

that is so ture just to give you an example my friend just got a 30 on his mcat and has a 3.8 gpa and is planning on applying to a PA program because he dosnt want to leave his city but thats his stupidity but you are competing against people who did not get accepted in medical schools so 3.4 will not get you in a PA school and thats a fact unless you have a good clinical background or just did an excellent job on your interview...my advise would be study for the MCAT try to get a good score..because the MCAT score can back up your gpa very well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.