Part-time job as Physician's Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Daisy Chung in Carrollton, Texas

82 months ago

I wanted to know if there are part-time jobs available for physician's assistant, and how common they are. everywhere i've looked i've seen full-time jobs 40 hours a week. I'm a college student and I wanted to see if it would fit with what I want from a job.
Thanks
Daisy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Daily Chung in Carrollton, Texas

82 months ago

Also by part-time i mean no weekends,and preferably no evenings (as I would like to work when kids are at school.) I'm trying to see the availability of such a job as compared with an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

houston pa in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

More chance of this with rn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ms Dawn

79 months ago

I am seeking the same information! I am applying to PA schools and Nursing! I haven't found much out either. I know for sure with Nursing you can do even 12hr shifts 3 times a week and get that full time income.... OR, work casual or Part-time at most facilities. You might have to work some weekends and/or evenings... usually every other, but it depends on the facility .. or you could work in a clinic. I would like to be a PA but I want the flexibility too! We need to find this out! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy Chung in Carrollton, Texas

78 months ago

Yes we do! although from what i have seen, i think that with growing job opportunities of a PA, the part-time availability should also grow...but you're right i want to know for sure! any part-time PA's out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in New York, New York

77 months ago

There are part-time and per-diem jobs available for PA's. I am a PA in NYC and in addition to my full-time job I work per diem for an Oncologist 1 to 2x's per week. I know a couple of part-time PA's that work 3 days a week or do the per-diem thing where they work a couple of shifts a week. The full-time market is more available but you could definatley find part-time. It would make more sense to work full-time at first as a new grad to get some hands on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pinky in Flushing, New York

75 months ago

Hi Vanessa,

I recently graduated from PA school and wanted to ask you for some advice. I would like to have a full time and a per diem job for extra income. However, I am worried that in order to get a per diem you would need to have experience in that area. Was that the case in your situation? Also in your opinion do you think it's important that your first job should be in the area that interests you even if it means waiting and waiting or does the first job not matter just as long as you get experience. Your input would greatly be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in New York, New York

75 months ago

I definatley think that your first job should be in something you are interested in. There are many PA jobs out there but not necessarily one that is right for you. So sometimes it is worth waiting a couple of months to wait for the job that you really want. Whether it is in the field you want or the schedule you want. I waited a couple of months to get the exact job that I wanted and it was beneficial because I'm still here. On the other hand I also don't think you should wait to long because you do want to get experience and not loose your skills and it also may reflect poorly on employers. If you are going to get the per diem job right away it might be easier to be in the same field as your full-time job for both you and your employer. As you become more experienced I think you could get a per-diem job in another field. I work in similiar fields (Internal Medicine and Oncology). I think that employers are sometimes willing to give someone with experience a shot if it is a different specialty. Hope this was helpfull.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shreeda in Jackson Heights, New York

71 months ago

Vanessa in New York, New York said: There are part-time and per-diem jobs available for PA's. I am a PA in NYC and in addition to my full-time job I work per diem for an Oncologist 1 to 2x's per week. I know a couple of part-time PA's that work 3 days a week or do the per-diem thing where they work a couple of shifts a week. The full-time market is more available but you could definatley find part-time. It would make more sense to work full-time at first as a new grad to get some hands on experience.

Hi vanessa. I'm in the process of applying to PA school, and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to shadow you. I am very grateful if you can help me out. shreedasheth@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pre-pa in Jackson Heights, New York

68 months ago

any PA's in nyc that I can shadow?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pedro in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

Daisy Chung in Carrollton, Texas said: I wanted to know if there are part-time jobs available for physician's assistant, and how common they are. everywhere i've looked i've seen full-time jobs 40 hours a week. I'm a college student and I wanted to see if it would fit with what I want from a job.
Thanks
Daisy

I have a 2 day part time position in Dallas Available. Contract work doing H & P's. However the person must be Bilingual in Spanish and English. Send resume to: cit.ppartida@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Astoria, New York

52 months ago

Hi Vanessa,

I was just curious if your per diem position was with a private oncologist or within a hospital. I currently work in oncology full time (just started 3 months ago, in the Bronx), but have been searching for per diem work (would like int medicine or onc) and haven't had any luck. Did you use a hiring agency? Did it take you a while to find per diem work? It took me fooorever to find my first full-time job here, so I have no idea what to expect for per diem work!

Thanks!

Ms Ajani in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

Hi,
I'm the HR manager of a managment conuslting company in Tampa Florida. We do have Clinics in different parts of south FLorida- Kissimmee, Orlando, Lakeland and Tampa.
Currently we're looking to hire Physician Assistants to join our medical team. part time hours are available. If you are willing to work in the Kissimmee area, you can contact me for further discussion.
Thanks.
tajani@kennedeeglobal.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alim in Naples, Florida

50 months ago

Hi I just applied for a PA position in family med, they offered 22dls per hours 20 hs /week. anybody have an idea how much $ they should pay for a part time new grad. I think this is low rate.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mhw in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

RN's start at $20-25/hr fresh out of school with just an assoc degree. Why work as a PA for 22/hr?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

loretta

47 months ago

Daisy, If you are looking for a job to fit your life you don't want to be a PA. You have to make your life fit your job to do this kind of work. I'm currently working 'part time' which means i get paid for six hours a day and worked 17 hours yesterday and not much less than that for each other day over the last few weeks - including weekends. Divorce rate in physician assistant school is phenomonal. Only give this another thought if you are willing to lay down your life and be eaten alive by both your employer and your patients. There is no longer any prestige in medicine - patients come in demanding what they want as if they are at a drive through at Mcdonalds.
Hope I didn't burst your bubble.

Daisy Chung in Carrollton, Texas said: I wanted to know if there are part-time jobs available for physician's assistant, and how common they are. everywhere i've looked i've seen full-time jobs 40 hours a week. I'm a college student and I wanted to see if it would fit with what I want from a job.
Thanks
Daisy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

loretta

47 months ago

Daisy, If you are looking for a job to fit your life you don't want to be a PA. You have to make your life fit your job to do this kind of work. I'm currently working 'part time' which means i get paid for six hours a day and worked 17 hours yesterday and not much less than that for each other day over the last few weeks - including weekends. Divorce rate in physician assistant school is phenomonal. Only give this another thought if you are willing to lay down your life and be eaten alive by both your employer and your patients. There is no longer any prestige in medicine - patients come in demanding what they want as if they are at a drive through at Mcdonalds.
Hope I didn't burst your bubble.

Thanks
Daisy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jack in Jamaica, New York

45 months ago

i'm a pa, it can be a very satisfying lifestyle if u find the position u want. i work 48 hours on sat/sunday and am off for 5 days...theres are so many shifts available everywhere. good job. but prepare to be a doctors bi*ch/scutmonkey/automaton. other than that, pay and lifestyle are not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in New York, New York

41 months ago

shreeda in Jackson Heights, New York said: Hi vanessa. I'm in the process of applying to PA school, and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to shadow you. I am very grateful if you can help me out. shreedasheth@yahoo.com

I am looking for a PA it can be PT or FT we are Internal Med and Cardiology. If you know any one ps email me djg581@aol.com

dflagel in North Port, Florida

27 months ago

We are looking for a Part Time PA with plans to work towards full time. We have a pediatric and Family practice office in North Port Florida. If interested PLEASE inquire!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janice in New York, New York

26 months ago

Vanessa in New York, New York said: There are part-time and per-diem jobs available for PA's. I am a PA in NYC and in addition to my full-time job I work per diem for an Oncologist 1 to 2x's per week. I know a couple of part-time PA's that work 3 days a week or do the per-diem thing where they work a couple of shifts a week. The full-time market is more available but you could definatley find part-time. It would make more sense to work full-time at first as a new grad to get some hands on experience.

Hi Vanessa. I have been a PA in Er and than in oncology for a total of 11 years working full time. I am currently seeking a part time position or would settle for stable per diem but am having trouble finding anything. Do u know of anything or have any suggestions on how to find out about part time opportunities?
Thanks in advance for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.