SJVC Rules

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

TC in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Louis R. in Visalia, California said: anyone else get accepted to SJVC? Please send me a message, i got waitlisted this year and that gets me in for next year, maybe this year?

Hi I came across your comment. I had a question, what is the difference between getting an associates as a PA vs. Masters.
because doesn't SJVC offer an associate? I'm confused could you clarify. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Louis R in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Hello, that is a good question. In order to become a PA a person has to pass the PANCE which is an exam. I am going to SJVC which offers a associates and others go to other programs that offer different degrees. For someone like myself who doesn't posses a bachelor yet, i chose a program that offered associates because a masters program one has to posses a bachelor degree. When it comes down to it, you have to look at the passing rates for PANCE. It doesn't matter if you get masters if you can't pass PANCE so look for passing rates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TC in San Diego, California

79 months ago

so it doesn't matter which route you take it just depends if you pass the test? Does this mean you have the same title and get paid the same?

just like nurses that posses a BSN or ASN they get paid the same just different career opportunities and all you have to do is Pass the NCLEX?

hmm.... SJVC sounds interesting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

SJVC is great. I got wait listed this year and their policy is if you get wait listed, that gives you an automatic bid for next year,so i will be starting 2009. I love their staff, they mean business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

big sam in san francisco, California

78 months ago

Louis R in Sacramento, California said: SJVC is great. I got wait listed this year and their policy is if you get wait listed, that gives you an automatic bid for next year,so i will be starting 2009. I love their staff, they mean business.

TC in San Diego,
if you have done the research please would you kindly clarify whats is the difference between an Associate and bachelor PA do they get same hiring opportunities ? same salary ? what's the deal as much as I want to go to An Associate degree as much as Iam scared to death of me having obstacles cause I posses Associate degree , so Iam really kind of muted and can not decide . especially Iam 38 years old , I mean I don't want to loose more time ,trying to make the best decision's .
what's the first steps should I do since I don't have degree what's the best Associate degree should I seek that would cover the prerequiste at the same time
your answers would be so appreciated . thank for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Hello, I hope you are we. I just want to let you know a PA in order to practice medicine has to pass PANCE test. In order to take this test a student has to have gone through an approved PA program. As far as degrees offered by the program it is quit simple. If you are looking at teaching or if you want to have the title of having a masters then you need to look at programs who offer masters but my program offeres a associates degree. I just want to practice medicine and I am not loolooking for advancement as far as teaching or what not. As far as pay and scope of practice it doesn't matter what title as long as you pass the PANCE test you are able to practice medicine as a PA. Look at this forum www.westpa-s.com/. It is a pa forum and all schools have members and it is a good resource. Look at it and I hope it answers someone additional questions. Please look at it and join, it is free and email me please with other additional questions after you look at forum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

big sam in san francisco, California

78 months ago

Louis R in Sacramento, California said: Hello, I hope you are we. I just want to let you know a PA in order to practice medicine has to pass PANCE test. In order to take this test a student has to have gone through an approved PA program. As far as degrees offered by the program it is quit simple. If you are looking at teaching or if you want to have the title of having a masters then you need to look at programs who offer masters but my program offeres a associates degree. I just want to practice medicine and I am not loolooking for advancement as far as teaching or what not. As far as pay and scope of practice it doesn't matter what title as long as you pass the PANCE test you are able to practice medicine as a PA. Look at this forum www.westpa-s.com/. It is a pa forum and all schools have members and it is a good resource. Look at it and I hope it answers someone additional questions. Please look at it and join, it is free and email me please with other additional questions after you look at forum

Thank you so much for the post I will have a look at the link. and I will get back to you if I need more advice. best wishes for you .
Thanx agian.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

PA programs that offer less than a Masters degree are starting to be phased out. Much like physical therapy, which used to only require a B.S. but now is a doctorate program, eventually these programs will be a thing of the past. If you want to stay at the top of your field you should work towards a Masters. Although getting your education at the Associates level will enable to pass your boards, this may not always be the case. If that state pushes higher educational requirements of PAs you don't want to be left behind. This isn't something that is going to happen next year, but my guess is that it will eventually happen. You might as well get as much education as you can before your practicing in the field so you don;t ever have to go back. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LesH

71 months ago

T in Los Angeles, California said: PA programs that offer less than a Masters degree are starting to be phased out. Much like physical therapy, which used to only require a B.S. but now is a doctorate program, eventually these programs will be a thing of the past. If you want to stay at the top of your field you should work towards a Masters. Although getting your education at the Associates level will enable to pass your boards, this may not always be the case. If that state pushes higher educational requirements of PAs you don't want to be left behind. This isn't something that is going to happen next year, but my guess is that it will eventually happen. You might as well get as much education as you can before your practicing in the field so you don;t ever have to go back. Good luck!

The ARC-PA is still accrediting the non Masters programs and in California and they seem to be doing well. Most of them are accredited thru 2012. We'll have to see what happens after that. In the meantime the state Physician Assistant regulatory committee has no plans to make the degree mandatory for licensure or practice.

DJ_Bany in Visalia, California

67 months ago

Louis R in Sacramento, California said: SJVC is great. I got wait listed this year and their policy is if you get wait listed, that gives you an automatic bid for next year,so i will be starting 2009. I love their staff, they mean business.

Hey Louis R. congrats! I was looking into the SJVC program as well and was wondering if you can offer any advise on their interview and what not. Any advise would be be gratefull.

67 months ago

Hello DJ Banny.
This is a great forum but have you also heard of PA forum? It has great info from the program director of SJVC. Join it is free and it has a great deal of info. SJVC program is very big about the mission statement. They really believe in primary care and people staying in the central valley to work in primary care. Look at this other forum and you will find many answers.
If you have any specific questions please feel to ask.
Good luck
Louis Rosales

www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/register.php?s=4d2d1c66d1bab0ecadd307834f958259

67 months ago

Hey Louis,

Yes i have heard of PA forums thanks for the tip. I was kinda hopin that you could give me some extra pointers or your experience. Also, Are you starting this year for sure? I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon. Oh! and i did notice that the SJVC director is on that forum. Very interesting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hello DJ banny.
Have you completed all of your prereq's? obviously it is the first step. Before applying to SJVC i looked into all the other programs and I found sjvc to be the best fit for me because they really emphazise helping the central valley medically underserved areas. Make sure that before you apply you know what a medically underserved area is and make sure you know know what primary care is. Our program is all about primary care and if you want to do something else like surgery or derm you might be better off at another program. Every program in CA is unique and what makes my program unique that it has a tough and I mean tough first didactic year. Their is nothing fancy about it, they put you in a portable classroom and they pound you into the ground 5 days a week for about 30 plus hours a week. Every day it seems like their is a quiz or a test. I am not going to lie the first year sucks but you learn a lot. You have to go to a seminar for the program, they will tell you how it is, and trust me they don't let you down.
I just finished my second term. pa.sjvc.edu is a good site to start of learning more about the program. You can also go to capanet.org and learn more about all the other programs. I really recommened my program because even tough it is tough all the faculty really cares about the students and they really expose you to MUA's.

Louis Rosales

67 months ago

Hello Louis<
So, I am assuming that you started last year in 08'. That is great! Yes I have my prereqs' but i have to beef up my average a little bit. Speakin of which, do you feel that your GPA helped in your acceptance or would you say that it was an overall thing. I went to school at SJVC for the RT program and i am familiar with their PA program. Living in Visalia has been a great experience and has opened my eye's to health care. Any idea when there will be a seminar this year? I appreciate you taking the time in your busy schedule to respond to my posts. Again what do you feel helped you the most in getting in? I am glad to hear such good things about the program and hope to hear from you soon and thanks for the resources! Peace!

LesH

67 months ago

DJ_Bany in Visalia, California said:
Speakin of which, do you feel that your GPA helped in your acceptance or would you say that it was an overall thing.

It's an overall thing, but the GPA is a big thing with the program right now. Make sure that you have at least a 3.0 in all the science prereqs...No "Cs". You need to check with the program about any of the RT classes you took at SJVC. Some of them may not work because at one time there was no lab included. You can retake at classes COS or West Hills. The prereqs are important "no Cs".

Again what do you feel helped you the most in getting in? I am glad to hear such good things about the program and hope to hear from you soon and thanks for the resources! Peace!

He fit the mission statement and had a strong academic background. Like Louis said, our focus is primary care, 70% of our grads are in Primary Care. Our goal is to train PAs to practice in out patient rural clinics/healthcare networks like FHCN.

I tell applicants everything they need to know about the program onthe PA forum under the SJVC thread.
Thank you for your interest and good luck in your future PA endeavors.
LesH

67 months ago

LesH said: He fit the mission statement and had a strong academic background. Like Louis said, our focus is primary care, 70% of our grads are in Primary Care. Our goal is to train PAs to practice in out patient rural clinics/healthcare networks like FHCN.

I tell applicants everything they need to know about the program onthe PA forum under the SJVC thread.
Thank you for your interest and good luck in your future PA endeavors.
LesH

Hello LesH! Thanks for the input. I have been meaning to introduce my self to you through the PA forums. For at least the last month or so I have been overwhelmed by all the info in the forums but don't worry i will speak up soon enough. I am taking it in one day at a time and i am looking forward to my challenges ahead! again thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Physician Jobs in Boca Raton, Florida

67 months ago

Emergency Medicine jobs in Florida, CT and NY - apply for superior physician jobs nationwide; permanent jobs or locum tenens. Great benefits:

* Deluxe, private housing for maximum comfort
* Local transportation for locum tenens convenience
* Malpractice insurance to protect livelihood and career
* 24/7 hotline for emergencies
* Web-based access to locum tenens jobs
* Locum tenens tax breaks

Apply now at www.candidatedirect.com

mackdc2b in Roseville, California

51 months ago

Louis R. in Visalia, California said: anyone else get accepted to SJVC? Please send me a message, i got waitlisted this year and that gets me in for next year, maybe this year?

Hello, I am also applying for the SJVC program and was wondering if they are offering any seminars or open houses this year? thank you

LesH in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

mackdc2b in Roseville, California said: Hello, I am also applying for the SJVC program and was wondering if they are offering any seminars or open houses this year? thank you

they will start in october, no dates are set yet.

LesH in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Louis R in Sacramento, California said: Hello DJ banny.
Have you completed all of your prereq's? obviously it is the first step. Before applying to SJVC i looked into all the other programs and I found sjvc to be the best fit for me because they really emphazise helping the central valley medically underserved areas. Make sure that before you apply you know what a medically underserved area is and make sure you know know what primary care is. Our program is all about primary care and if you want to do something else like surgery or derm you might be better off at another program. Every program in CA is unique and what makes my program unique that it has a tough and I mean tough first didactic year. Their is nothing fancy about it, they put you in a portable classroom and they pound you into the ground 5 days a week for about 30 plus hours a week. Every day it seems like their is a quiz or a test. I am not going to lie the first year sucks but you learn a lot. You have to go to a seminar for the program, they will tell you how it is, and trust me they don't let you down.
I just finished my second term. pa.sjvc.edu is a good site to start of learning more about the program. You can also go to capanet.org and learn more about all the other programs. I really recommened my program because even tough it is tough all the faculty really cares about the students and they really expose you to MUA's.

Louis Rosales

Louis graduated last month and is now a PA-C. Good job!
LesH

Kevin M in Malden, Massachusetts

47 months ago

LesH in Los Angeles, California said: Louis graduated last month and is now a PA-C. Good job!
LesH

ConGrats! I'm From Fresno, But Just Completed MY Physician Assistant at NorthEastern! Couple months back! LOL! i was one of the Reject from SJVC becuase my focus wasn't Primary Care... I wanted to do Surgery :-D/Emergency Med. But CONGRATS!

Lily in Stone Mountain, Georgia

47 months ago

Hi kevinm

How did you like the program at ne?
I'm considering that one.......

I'd love to hear ur perspective on it n what ur experiences were like there

Thank u :)

Much aloha
Lily

Lesh in Reseda, California

47 months ago

Kevin M in Malden, Massachusetts said: ConGrats! I'm From Fresno, But Just Completed MY Physician Assistant at NorthEastern! Couple months back! LOL! i was one of the Reject from SJVC becuase my focus wasn't Primary Care... I wanted to do Surgery :-D/Emergency Med. But CONGRATS!

Congrats to you Kevin. Glad it worked out for you. BTW I wouldn’t say the program rejected you, the program wasn’t what you were looking for in a PA education. I think the eastern programs are better at preparing folks for those specialties. SJVC focus is what it is because the State of California needs more PC providers in the SJV. Most of our graduates work in Primary Care clinics and Family medicine.
Lesh

Sara in Fresno, California

45 months ago

What are my chances of getting in SJVC physician assistant program if I acquired a bachelor's degree in public health and passed all my science classes with A's and B's and have the 2000 patient contact hours they required? Will the GPA be just part of the assessment, I don’t have the best grades, but I certainly do well in my science classes. Will there be any problems if some of the classes are retaken and passed with A’s?

45 months ago

Sara in Fresno, California said: What are my chances of getting in SJVC physician assistant program if I acquired a bachelor's degree in public health and passed all my science classes with A's and B's and have the 2000 patient contact hours they required? Will the GPA be just part of the assessment, I don’t have the best grades, but I certainly do well in my science classes. Will there be any problems if some of the classes are retaken and passed with A’s?

Sara, about 60% of matriculants have a BS/BA. It is not required. Get the As&Bs, our ADCOM tends to look at recent trends in academic performance. If there is a positive trend it goes a long way with folks IMHO. There is no problem with classes retaken. Especially if you get the As. Thanks for your interest in the SJVC PA program and good luck in your future PA endeavors. Lesh

louis r in La Puente, California

45 months ago

Sara in Fresno, California said: What are my chances of getting in SJVC physician assistant program if I acquired a bachelor's degree in public health and passed all my science classes with A's and B's and have the 2000 patient contact hours they required? Will the GPA be just part of the assessment, I don’t have the best grades, but I certainly do well in my science classes. Will there be any problems if some of the classes are retaken and passed with A’s?

Hello Sara,
I hope all is well. I can't say their is a specific formula but SJVC really focuses on its mission statement. Also you can go to capanet.org...... it is a great resource. I hope this helps.... good luck.

Louis R

45 months ago

Thank you. I'll take a look at capanet.org

45 months ago

Lesh in Reseda, California said: Sara, about 60% of matriculants have a BS/BA. It is not required. Get the As&Bs, our ADCOM tends to look at recent trends in academic performance. If there is a positive trend it goes a long way with folks IMHO. There is no problem with classes retaken. Especially if you get the As. Thanks for your interest in the SJVC PA program and good luck in your future PA endeavors. Lesh

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

45 months ago

Lesh in Reseda, California said: Sara, about 60% of matriculants have a BS/BA. It is not required. Get the As&Bs, our ADCOM tends to look at recent trends in academic performance. If there is a positive trend it goes a long way with folks IMHO. There is no problem with classes retaken. Especially if you get the As. Thanks for your interest in the SJVC PA program and good luck in your future PA endeavors. Lesh

Hey Lesh I just have to ask, if I worked as a phlebotomist, does that count toward the 2000 hours required for patient contact, as opposed to a CNA or a CMA. Your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks

45 months ago

Yes

Richard sandoval in Palmdale, California

44 months ago

Hi I applied this year for PA at SJVC and I was curious how you are contacted for an interview. Is it by letter or phone call? One more thing I dont know if you guys will have a problem with my microbiology class. When I took that class in 2008 it was a 4 unit class that included lab. My school changed it for i dont know what reason to a 5 unit class and made the lab seperarate.

Thanks

Richard sandoval in Palmdale, California

44 months ago

Richard sandoval in Palmdale, California said: Hi I applied this year for PA at SJVC and I was curious how you are contacted for an interview. Is it by letter or phone call? One more thing I dont know if you guys will have a problem with my microbiology class. When I took that class in 2008 it was a 4 unit class that included lab. My school changed it for i dont know what reason to a 5 unit class and made the lab seperarate.

Thanks

*separate

44 months ago

Richard sandoval in Palmdale, California said: *separate

Sorry I wouldn't know, I graduate next year in college and I will be applying for the progrm so i don't know how the process work yet. Hopefully your question will be answer.

44 months ago

44 months ago

or found in the thread on the SJVC program.

William in Fresno, California

44 months ago

I just had the interview w/ SJVC for the PA program today. I felt I did great but my grades weren't that good in their eyes. They seemed pretty predetermined that I wasn't going to get in due to them to the point I wondered why I was even interviewed. Anyone have any insight into this or similar stories?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Fresno, California

44 months ago

William in Fresno, California said: I just had the interview w/ SJVC for the PA program today. I felt I did great but my grades weren't that good in their eyes. They seemed pretty predetermined that I wasn't going to get in due to them to the point I wondered why I was even interviewed. Anyone have any insight into this or similar stories?

how bad were your grades if u don't mind telling us. is it below 3.0?

LESH in Reseda, California

44 months ago

William in Fresno, California said: I just had the interview w/ SJVC for the PA program today. I felt I did great but my grades weren't that good in their eyes. They seemed pretty predetermined that I wasn't going to get in due to them to the point I wondered why I was even interviewed. Anyone have any insight into this or similar stories?

Yeah I have some insight into this and have similar stories. I would really listen to any advice you were given and do it should you not get in, if your goal is to get into the program. The ADCOM must have seen someting in your application that they liked, wanted to meet you, and possibly help you become a more competitive applicant and a sucssful student in the program IMHO. If you feel the ADCOM has not treated you fairly
You can address this with the Director of Admissions.
LesH

44 months ago

Sorry for the typos

44 months ago

sara in Fresno, California said: how bad were your grades if u don't mind telling us. is it below 3.0?

Sara, every applicant is different and looked at on a case by case basis. The information on the SJVC program WEB site is what the current ADCOM wants to see to be a competitive applicant.
"Completion of prerequisite science courses should be with a grade of "B" or better." The faculty (who make up the ADCOM) feel that this one of the indicators of potential academic success in the program. Based on review of student cases dismissed for poor academic performance. Do your best in those four classes: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Chemistry. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee enrollment.

Most PA programs use the GPA as one of the major criteria to determine who gets interviews and selection of students. Some programs use the interview to explore reasons behind a less than desired GPAs, if there is something else in the application that the program values in applicants/students. SJVC does the latter and the PD approves/disapproves the interview, then it's up to the applicant to fill in the blanks. SJVC will tell an applicant what they need to do to improve and current students and graduates that have taken that advice often obtain their goal of becoming a PA. There have been cases where it may take more than applying once to matriculate. SJVC will also tell applicants that maybe the program is not right for them.

Hope this helps.
LesH

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

I was put on the alternate list for SJVC about a month ago and was wondering if anyone might know what my chances are getting accepted this year? It's difficult not knowing where I stand, especially when I am very eager to start this program. What are the statistics of applicants who are waitlisted that are later accepted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chaz in San Luis Obispo, California

30 months ago

Hello, I am interested in applying for the P.A. program at S.J.V.C. I have a prerequisite G.P.A. around 3.7 and accessory course G.P.A. hovering around 3.3. I have accrued 2000 hours of medical experience as both an E.M.T. and physical therapy aide over the last 4 years. I also have a few "W"'s for dropped classes. My questions are regarding whether or not there are any time requirements patient care must fall in (i.e. within the last 2 years etc.) and if "W"'s have any bearing on addmission. Also, does a P.A. degree from S.J.V.C. give a practicioner any lateral movement into something besides general practice? (like emergency medicine.)

Thank You

louie r in San Pablo, California

30 months ago

Chaz, I don't know if my info is 100%, I graduated from sjvc program in 2010. The program is very true to its mission statement, it is a primary care program. In general as a pa, you can work in many areas. I know of sjvc grads who work in er but the program focuses on primary care. I strongly recommend you attend one of the seminars they offer.

Louie r

Chaz in Oceano, California

30 months ago

Thanks Louie. Do you know much about the general admission requirements? For example, a competitive G.P.A.? Any and all information is appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan in Portsmouth, Ohio

27 months ago

I have and AS degree in health studies from SJVC and have been working as a Surgical Assistant Certified for the last 7 years with my primary focous in Cardiac and Vascular surgical proccedures. I am considering going back to school and attending SJVC PA program mostly because of the billing restrictions imposed by medicare and medicad as well as the option to work outside the operating room. My question is, do I have most of the general admission requirements completed and will the program accept my AS degree from SJVC? Also, my G.P.A was 3.8

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lesh in Visalia, California

27 months ago

Yes the program will accept your AS but you need to check with the admission advisor or program to determine if you have all the prereqs.

AdamR in Riverside, California

18 months ago

Hello,
I am interested in learning more about PA programs. I have a BS in Biological Sciences (Medical Science emphasis) and minor in Neuro. I also am in an online Masters program in Bio, but have cut back since I cant get in the classes I want or need. I initially wanted to go to med school but have since changed my mind. In regards to most PA programs requiring hands on experience, I was wondering if my experience in a Blood Bank would count. I have worked as a lab tech for a little over two years. I do have hands on experience as a volunteer (~300hrs) and I worked part time as a physicians scribe but these were both over 4 years ago. Just trying to figure out what are the steps I should take to increase my chance of getting into a PA program (Classes, jobs, experiences, etc.). Thanks

Adam

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.