pipeline welding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 708)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

tbo003 in Bastrop, Louisiana

78 months ago

i am a firefighter in louisiana. i am recently vested in the retirement system.(i will get a check even if i quit.)I am thinking about trying to become a welders helper in local 798.maybe then move up to welder.will have to jump in head first.money sounds good but what are down sides?i will never make that much money firefighting.just thinking about starting new career.can u take wife with u?what do u need to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Granbury, Texas

70 months ago

any pipeline jobs up north hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (301) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

jakegreenfood@yahoo.com in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

70 months ago

where is the best pipeline welding jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (170) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Granbury, Texas

69 months ago

all us Granbury boys seem to be looken for work these days!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

crbowman1@ gmail.com in West Monroe, Louisiana

69 months ago

You are about to jump out of the fire into a frying pan. What I am going to tell you applies to union and non union work both. The life of a pipeline worker or welder is any thing but easy the jobs are very demanding, hard, hot, and dirty. Most people are only going to talk about the good parts and not the bad. Most pipeline welders and workers will go through divorces, Only the best welders will make a good living doing this, the rest will live feast and famine and get jobs when they are lucky enough to pass a welding test and then not get fired for bad welds or being to slow. The last several years have been very good for welders but this will change as the economy and work slows down. You will began to see the welding inspectors get very strict on the pre employment welding test. Then only the best will work on a regular basis. You will not be able to depend on 798 providing you with regular work Just like non union contractors, union contractors hire most of their union employees directly and not through the hall. less than 50% of the union employees are dispatched on most jobs. ONLY YOUR ability to do your job right,keep your mouth shut, get along with people, and not cause trouble on jobs will keep you working and making a good living in the pipeline industry. I have been able to make a good living in the welding industry for over 25 years, but I have rode different horses many times. I have welded on pipelines, in refineries, lay barges, power plants, offshore platforms and drilling rigs all over the United States, Gulf of mexico, and Alaska. If this is what you are looking for then go for it, good people are hard to find and always welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (122) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

thomas77 in West Orange, New Jersey

69 months ago

how much do the pipeline welder helpers make??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

thomas77 in West Orange, New Jersey

69 months ago

in texas preferably, but i just need an idea..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Toby

68 months ago

Kansas Rig Welder in Howard, Kansas said: Looking for rig work anywhere my truck will take me!
I just can't seem to hear about anything until they have already hired their help.
I have call over 50 places and it is the same story...sorry dude already full, or slow right now, or the best...we hire union only!
I have even applied to the 798 but I haven't heard anything yet.

Been looking all around Miss. finding the same story and waiting to hear from the union
have u heard of anything since your post

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kansas Rig Welder

68 months ago

798welder in Atlanta, Georgia said: Call the hall ask for the training center ask for farren tell him you want to set up a time to test took my buddy three months before they let him test I started as a helper all the work for the year is just kicking off slot of welders on the out of work list right now make a good hand and get in with a good Forman that has a job every year and you can stay busy 24" .500 wall weld 6010 bead with 5/32 or 1/8 and hp,filler, and a strip in the side with a puddle cap 3/16 8010(70+) takes about $2000 dollars to test because you have to buy your book the same day you test bust your test you have to wait 30 days to test again more then likely 3 months $44 an hour $15 for rig non taxed $102 per deim good luck be nice to your helper he may be your inspector mine was

Thanks 798 welder in Kennesaw, GA I' m calling the hall right now. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kansas Rig Welder

68 months ago

Kansas Rig Welder said: Thanks 798 welder in Kennesaw, GA I' m calling the hall right now. Thanks again.

Thanks to 798welder in Hotlanta is what I meant to say. One more question, What do you mean by " a strip in the side"? Do you run a strip along one side and then lay your cap over the rest, tying in with the strip?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kansas Rig Welder

68 months ago

Kansas Rig Welder said: Thanks to 798welder in Hotlanta is what I meant to say. One more question, What do you mean by " a strip in the side"? Do you run a strip along one side and then lay your cap over the rest, tying in with the strip?

No luck on the phone. They said that my app had not been approved. Aren't they supposed to notify you by mail or by phone about your app review. I was told today to call back in 2 weeks and have Mr. Hendricks pull my app and review it then. I don't agree with their process, but it's their process so I'll jump through whatever hoops I must in order to attain my goals. Either you can weld or you can't. Just gimme the freakin test already! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

cetree20 in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

tbo003 in Bastrop, Louisiana said: i am a firefighter in louisiana. i am recently vested in the retirement system.(i will get a check even if i quit.)I am thinking about trying to become a welders helper in local 798.maybe then move up to welder.will have to jump in head first.money sounds good but what are down sides?i will never make that much money firefighting.just thinking about starting new career.can u take wife with u?what do u need to start?

Im a volunteer firefighter I can relate to your story. I wanted to get paid saving lifes. But I was talking to the Chief and starting pay is low, Im a welder I make great money but the only thing is if your a rig welder finding work depends on your contacts and how good you weld

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kgersh in Kennesaw, Georgia

68 months ago

Hello all...I am trying to help my husband get started in this welding business. He's in school now learning and will be done in a couple months. Pretty much willing to start anywhere doing anything, we just want a steady pay check. (he's been a mechanic by trade for many many years but that business is tanking bad!)I really have no idea where to start...thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mthompson

68 months ago

All Welding jobs are tight right now. My husband is a super. building compressor stations, he just went back to cleburne,tx. his last two compressors finally came in yesterday, about 2 months work. Inspectors are getting mean about them test,busted all welders out for last two days, but the list is long you know how that goes.my husband has rig truck and welds in between his supertindent jobs, For all who want to be Helpers on pipelines and stations you better be ready to find yourself again, no mercy on the body male or female lol.If i get any leads here i'll post them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Luke in Grundy, Virginia

68 months ago

JJ in Granbury, Texas said: any pipeline jobs up north hiring?

jj this is Luke u found work anywhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jasonfletcher77 in Granbury, Texas

68 months ago

hey jj call chet and get my #

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

constanciol in Gonzales, Texas

68 months ago

i've welding at my high school for years now im about to go to my technical school and when i graduate from there im hoping to work on the pipeline in alaska i know there will be long hours and dangerous work but i always wondered when i get married would my wife be able to travel with me or would it be best that i find a welding job in the area i want to live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Luke in Grundy, Virginia

68 months ago

10-4 man im in the same boat here. I hope ya have some luck man. Ill let ya kno if things start picking up down here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

798Helper in Michigan in Racine, Wisconsin

68 months ago

Alot of welders are busting their tests because they can't weld! Just because one can fuse two pieces of scrap together doesn't make them a welder!! I've seen it on many jobs and non-union welders or most that aren't familiar w/ pipeline work think that they can just come in and do the job because of the $ involved w/ it. I've learned from old school 798ers and it is frowned upon when you don't earn your stripes per say. Someone stated that you should show up on a job daily and hope they need a hand. @ this time, there are 1500 helpers on the out of work list, so being in the right place @ the right time is the only way to get your foot in. As far as family goes, it's hard unless that relationship is STRONG when you're a pipleliner. No doubt about it! Lastly, if you just want to pipeline for the $, stay out!! We pipeliners LOVE what we do and work our asses off for the $ we make!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Florence, South Carolina

67 months ago

bet you cant touch as many certs that i have and match me weld for weld im non union and a big time pride worker i learned from the old school also i have 17 years in this and 13 certs on different alloys but i do agree that some welders do just enough to get by for all the welders out lets all take a little pride in our work it shows to me ond others how you live

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Smith222 in Cabot, Arkansas

67 months ago

798welder in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: call 798 hall ask for an application to test at the downhill school test cost $200 dollars you have to have $1500 for your book the day you pass the instructor at the schools name is farren if you have never worked on a pipeline your stupid for trying to get a job welding on one you need to become a helped first they require a helper to have 3000 hours before he breaks out welding the only kicker is they aren't selling anymore helpers books the only way to get a helped book is to be present at a pipeline yard every morning and hope they're short of hands and have to hire you you have to work 8 days on the job and they have to sell you a book same goes for a welder if you want to join the union and the jobs short of hands you can work one union job before you have to test if a welder Forman will hire you I have a couple of welder forman phone numbers right now that have jobs going in louisianna and ones number who has a job kicking off first of June in missouri that's where I'm heading I'm working for henkles n McCoy in vicksburg Mississippi right now but there's only two weeks work left the test at the union hall is a 24" 500 wall butt weld most pipeline jobs require a butt weld and a 16" branch some will make you take a repair where you cut back into your bead and re run it

This is the most accurate info on here. Union or go home...you need the benefits, money, and protection a union provides for you and your family

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

adc in Augusta, Georgia

67 months ago

my boyfirend belongs to local 692 we are currently on a georgia pipeline he is wanting to get on with the alaska pipeline if anyone knows whom we need to contact or any information please let me know thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Broke N down in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

I am a 798er and have been on the out of work list for 3 1/2 months. im just now in the 300s. Work has picked up but is still slow compared to last year. Last year I worked all year with only 3 weeks between jobs. As a helper you can make damn good money...But you earn every $$$..As a helper I made $80,000 last year. worked 6-10s and 7-12s most of the year. had two weeks off for christmas. I seen hundreds of helpers here taday gone tomorrow..Its hot dirty work with little time in between weilds...Most wont make it the whole job. Either get run off for not showing up or get run off for drugs. As a helper on tie ins you have to hump it all day getting in and out of the bell holes getting grinders and leads and everything "but the truck " in and out of the hole 2 3 times a day in 100 plus weather...Its not fun..

They say their isnt no work in texas until next year, All the work is in louisianna, mississippi, and georgia. And up north if you wonna go to yankie land. I started on the out of work list in the 1300s. Work is slow and jobs are hard to come by. Most jobs last only 3-4 months so Im hoping to get on a job to finish the rest of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KWL Confused in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

Could someone explain to me the difference between a single hand welder and a rig/contract welder?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ricardo merriman in Lynchburg, Virginia

67 months ago

I am certified in weilding in the following fields MIG,TIG,Pipe weilding,flux, Arc weilding in all positions,can weild aluminum,copper steel,carbon steel, can read blueprints.I have all paperwork and certificates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

314 Pipe welder in St. louis, Missouri

67 months ago

I just graduated from a trade school in Saint Louis, Missouri and I'm want to get a start welding pipe somewhere. I've tried LOCAL 562 UNION and I was declined. I can only keep trying.

I've also tried the local 798 pipeliners and was not approved.

Does anyone have any advise for me so I can get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

willie in Dundee, United Kingdom

67 months ago

thankfully i am now retired{66 years old] worked as an instructor for 15 years mainly coding welders on oil platform [low hydrogenwork]work.very satisfying work.forum very good.takes me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vince in El Dorado, Kansas

67 months ago

I'm a pipeline welder and I noticed you had a number for a possible job in Missouri and I am interested if you dont mind giving that out. I have 7 years experience and have worked for 798 previously. I would appreciate the help. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

welderswife in Bokoshe, Oklahoma

67 months ago

If anybody knows of any structural, pipeline or rig welding jobs please email me at danieltsgirl88@yahoo.com. My husband has been out of work for three months and I can't pay all the bills with the money I make. We are struggling day to day to feed our kids. Please let me know something

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TROY CASEY in Alvin, Texas

67 months ago

If you have your certs. for "OFFSHORE" (THE MUST HAVE IS THE TWIC),WE CAN WORK ON THE OTHERS, BUT IT CUTS DOWN ON YOU GETTING STARTED ON A JOB.WE GET CALLS FOR WELDERS DAILY(MOST ARE OFFSHORE OUT OF La.)go to rdlenergyservices.com and pull up a APP. fill it out FAX IT AND YOUR CERTS IN AND WE CAN GET STARTED ON PUTTING YOU TO WORK, THANKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

daniel_tmln in Bokoshe, Oklahoma

67 months ago

TROY CASEY in Alvin, Texas said: If you have your certs. for "OFFSHORE" (THE MUST HAVE IS THE TWIC),WE CAN WORK ON THE OTHERS, BUT IT CUTS DOWN ON YOU GETTING STARTED ON A JOB.WE GET CALLS FOR WELDERS DAILY(MOST ARE OFFSHORE OUT OF La.)go to rdlenergyservices.com and pull up a APP. fill it out FAX IT AND YOUR CERTS IN AND WE CAN GET STARTED ON PUTTING YOU TO WORK, THANKS.

I don't have my offshore certs. And neither does my dad. I appreciate you trying to help. If you know of anything else please let me know. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Vince in El Dorado, Kansas said: I'm a pipeline welder and I noticed you had a number for a possible job in Missouri and I am interested if you dont mind giving that out. I have 7 years experience and have worked for 798 previously. I would appreciate the help. Thanks

There is some work here in alton, Illinois that is just east of St.Louis maybe about 10 min from downtown. Conoco phillips is building a new refinery and they need pipe welders asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

daniel_tmln

67 months ago

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what job your talking about. Are you wanting the offshore number if not tell me what one your talking about

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

short hood 200 in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

314 Pipe welder in St. louis, Missouri said: There is some work here in alton, Illinois that is just east of St.Louis maybe about 10 min from downtown. Conoco phillips is building a new refinery and they need pipe welders asap.

are they taking any rigs or just single hands and could you email me the contact info either way much appreciated rich.mattox@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

6G certified welder

67 months ago

I'm looking for a welding job. I have my 6G welding certification. I'm looking for a rig welding job or a pipe welding job. I have 5 years experience with welding. I have my own truck, tools and welder. I'm willing to travel. My father is also looking for a job. He has 19 years experience. He has his 6G welding certification. He has his own tools, truck and welder. If anybody knows of anything please contact me at daniel_tmln@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nativewelder in Tulsa, Oklahoma

67 months ago

My inlaws are in Wyoming Pipelining things are looking good about getting me up there. I love welding tho I havent been doing it for very long, and certainly not on that scale. Anybody have any advice about what to expect?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

welderswife in Bokoshe, Oklahoma said: If anybody knows of any structural, pipeline or rig welding jobs please email me at danieltsgirl88@yahoo.com. My husband has been out of work for three months and I can't pay all the bills with the money I make. We are struggling day to day to feed our kids. Please let me know something

tell your husband to email me at jovon.rice@yahoo.com

Vince in El Dorado, Kansas

67 months ago

yes I am interested. Could you please email me the contact number at bjcarr1@cox.net. Thank you for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pwldrp in Rock Hill, South Carolina

66 months ago

798Helper in Michigan in Racine, Wisconsin said: Alot of welders are busting their tests because they can't weld! Just because one can fuse two pieces of scrap together doesn't make them a welder!! I've seen it on many jobs and non-union welders or most that aren't familiar w/ pipeline work think that they can just come in and do the job because of the $ involved w/ it. I've learned from old school 798ers and it is frowned upon when you don't earn your stripes per say. Someone stated that you should show up on a job daily and hope they need a hand. @ this time, there are 1500 helpers on the out of work list, so being in the right place @ the right time is the only way to get your foot in. As far as family goes, it's hard unless that relationship is STRONG when you're a pipleliner. No doubt about it! Lastly, if you just want to pipeline for the $, stay out!! We pipeliners LOVE what we do and work our asses off for the $ we make!!

Do you have to know somebody to get in 798? How do you get in? I've been trying for helper but nothing> What does it take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lincoln 250 in Peoria, Illinois

66 months ago

pwldrp in Rock Hill, South Carolina said: Do you have to know somebody to get in 798? How do you get in? I've been trying for helper but nothing> What does it take?

u need to keep trying. there is a long list waiting. have been trying 4 6 months. test is no walk in park. if u dont have down hill practice before u go or dont bother. the instructors are great. but very strict they only wont the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BDW in JONES, Oklahoma

66 months ago

The hardest thing about going to work anywhere, wether it be pipeline,rigyards,factories, or just a shop is who you know, not just what you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

saappers_02 in Bakersfield, California

66 months ago

Where is the work? I wanna pipeline can anyone tell me where the work is. thanks very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Broke N down in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

First get your check book out. A book cost $1200.. sometimes you can buy a book then go to work..(like I done)..most go on a 8 day permit.. where they place you on the job then take your dues and book out..thats the hard way.. Their are about 1200 on the out of work list right now. They are not selling books until work picks up. If you got the money and can afford a book than you might call the hall and see if they will sell a book. Even if you get a book no guarantee they will put you to work right away..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Vince in El Dorado, Kansas said: I'm a pipeline welder and I noticed you had a number for a possible job in Missouri and I am interested if you dont mind giving that out. I have 7 years experience and have worked for 798 previously. I would appreciate the help. Thanks

If you have work for 798 in the past then you have a book..If you let your book go back then you chances of rejoining is slim ta none. They dont sell books to rats..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

798 is one of the best unions out their period. We are strong and getting stronger. We get alot of work by sticking together. We dont like rats and people that work for them...If you work for us then stay with us..If you cross over to a rat company you have turned you back on me and my brothers and sisters.. I have no simpathy on you cry babies not working that have turned there back on the union...We stay together threw thick and thin...Now you want to come back to the union because you cant find work..the hell with you..the hell with that. go back to you rat company ...The only way we stay strong and keep our work is weeding out peolple that cross over and turn their backs to the union...For those who dont understand let me break it down...
For every hour work on a rat job that is taking our "union" money away..
thats insurance
thats retirement
thats wages

join the union stay in the union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

downhill in Sayre, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

I have belonged to a union for over 15 years and I would rather work union the only problem is that I dont belong to the UA. the point is that I can downhill, I can pass the test, I do have $1200. I however have a problem paying it out for a ride on the bench. AFLCIO says you can only belong to one union and I would have to withdraw from my membership now and I would loose my benifits. I am tired of bieng crammed in a fab shop or on some building trades construction site with a safety man bitching about my shoes and non hardhat welding hood ect. I get out of bed every day and go to work because I am a craftsman not just a weldermonkey and I take pride in the work that I do. Most of all I need a change, and pounding rod in a ditch all day is right up my alley and I have whole lot of time and money I invested in my rig and schooling. I am a hard worker and I am self motivated and my determination has got me a long way in my career. However it is time for me to move on to other things. Thank you for the info on 798. P.S. I have never been a scab and I dont intend on it. I served 5 yrs fo apprenticeship and started out at rock bottom. Like I said before I just need to get my foot in the door. Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pipeliner in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

66 months ago

downhill in Sayre, Pennsylvania said: Just built a shiny new rig and have no place to put it to work. I can pass any downhill test/6g/branch tee. Just need to get my foot in the door. Many years exp. Looking for work in PA/NY. I keep hearing about all the work that is about to break but I cant seem to find it anywhere. The only tool I dont have is a 798 card. Please email to coldroyd@stny.rr.com

linde had some work in pa

dvupeet in Saint Martinville, Louisiana

66 months ago

or is it downhill root and hotpass and uphill filler and cap?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

downhill root 6010 and you beeter be able to run a 5/32 but a lot of guys get by on the 1/8. Then hot pass, filler, strip and cap with7010,8010,or 9010 5/32 or 3/16 depending on inspector and pipe alloy. ALL DOWNHILL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

pipeliner in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: linde had some work in pa

Thanks do you have a contact or a location? coldroyd@stny.rr.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.