I Wish I Never Became a Police Officer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Frank Borelli in Washington, District of Columbia

76 months ago

I'm a retired officer from the East Coast, and I can honestly say that I wish I never became a police officer. I did my best to do good during my career, but the administration kept bringing me down. I think I only made a dent in the world. I never moved mountains like I dreamed I would when I was a kid.

I had always wanted to be a police officer. I watched all the cop shows and movies, read cop books, and even dreamed about being a police officer when I slept at night. I think I just fell in love with the movie version of a cop, not the real version.

Give it some real thought before you sign the dotted line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (348) / No (147) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas Logan in Lexington, Kentucky

52 months ago

think about it in Daly City, California said: join the military for some real experience in which you can do MP - military police......those criminal justice degree are a waste of time and popping up everywhere like the eco friendly products....if you really want to pursue that degree, make sure it is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting institutions and nothing else....the thing about dreams jobs is that some people have no experience nor background will get the job while some may prepare for it for years and end up not getting the job....

I will be attending Eastern Kentucky University, which is an accredited school and has the best Criminal Justice program in the country. One thing that puzzles me about people's impressions on CJ Degree's, is how one can think it will not benefit you while working hand in hand with officials who serve justice. It's just not logical to think a 4-year Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice won't benefit you when pursuing a job as a probation or parole officer. After all, they do work in court houses that are solely based on the principle of justice. Relating a Criminal Justice degree to police work retains the same kind of foundation principles and shows departments you possess stability characteristics, which is extremely important when you are sworn in.

I want to be a police officer, not a rocket scientist. I feel a 4-year degree in Criminal Justice (regardless of how popular they're becoming) will guarantee me a job. Because ultimately, the world is going to need police officers and crime rates aren't decreasing. I don't know about your city, but the officer to citizen ratio is about 200:1. Do you know what this means? It means the city of Lexington is undermanned. I'll see you in 5 years when I've conquered my goals.....maybe I'll give you a break on your next highway speeding ticket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

BooYaa

47 months ago

I just recently retired as an Officer in New Hampshire. I have been offered numerous other LE jobs and I'm here to tell you that I will never ever put a uniform on again. It is not the public that makes the job so degrading but the administration. Chief Rod Collins, now of the Mashpee, Ma Police Department is the main reason I hate the profession so much. He sets double standards, one for him and his pals on the force and then another standard for all the others. His list of accomplishments are distinguished. He got a NH State Trooper suspended after he begged the trooper to let him go on a Drunk Driving charge (which the poor trooper did), has appeared in a sex tape involving one of his former dispatchers, has involved himself in extramarrital affairs and has been forced to leave all three New Hampshire police departments where he served as police chief. He surrounds himself with a few close friends, one of which is now his Captain (from NH of course). How he got hired in Mashpee is beyond me as they obviously failed to conduct a proper background investigation, otherwise the above mentioned items would have been uncovered. Oh, that's right one of his friends was serving as interim chief at the time in Mashpee.

My point is, your career will be dictated by administrators such as Chief Rodney, do as I say and certainly not as I do. I am proud to have served but disgraced to have served under Chief Rodney Collins. To those who are looking and just have to take on the career, find a big city department, stay under the radar and click off your years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (244) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Mason in Thunder Bay, Ontario

41 months ago

Hey guys, so I've thought long and hard about a career in policing, and I've come to the conclusion that this is what I really want. I'm going to Police Foundations this coming September and I'm fit like a rhino carrying 400 logs, I just wanna say, I am excited for this challenging and rewarding career. It's only natural that my clan name is Mukwa, it just means bear, but one of its character traits is watching and protecting the world. I'm gonna replace some of the old cops I've seen around here. haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Rodney Phillips in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

40 months ago

I've been told by many officers that being a cop sucks, that everyone hates you. I've been told to become a firefighter, at least when the sit outside and let a house burn to the ground they are still given Thanks. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Full-on in Salt Lake City, Utah

40 months ago

I can only speak of my experience as an officer. It has been said here many times and I agree 100% that the most stress you will encounter in this job comes from within your own department. 99% of this stress comes from administration (puppet chiefs, arrogant supervisors, selfish agendas, etc.). More and more police departments are managed like a business instead of a brotherhood.

As a new recruit you begin this career wanting to prove yourself, you work hard, keep sharp and represent yourself and your agency with pride. You spin years away on patrol and admin forgets about you, until you misstep or catch a citizen complaint, then you are scrutinized and nearly drowned during their fishing expedition. Extraordinary effort or accomplishments are typically passed off as “doing your job.”

Before signing any offer of employment, understand the department; know why there is such high turnover, and why morale is so low. Never ever judge a book by its cover.

Be safe and smart brothers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Aberdeen, Washington

40 months ago

well said I couldn't have said it any better.

Full-on in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I can only speak of my experience as an officer. It has been said here many times and I agree 100% that the most stress you will encounter in this job comes from within your own department. 99% of this stress comes from administration (puppet chiefs, arrogant supervisors, selfish agendas, etc.). More and more police departments are managed like a business instead of a brotherhood.

As a new recruit you begin this career wanting to prove yourself, you work hard, keep sharp and represent yourself and your agency with pride. You spin years away on patrol and admin forgets about you, until you misstep or catch a citizen complaint, then you are scrutinized and nearly drowned during their fishing expedition. Extraordinary effort or accomplishments are typically passed off as “doing your job.”

Before signing any offer of employment, understand the department; know why there is such high turnover, and why morale is so low. Never ever judge a book by its cover.

Be safe and smart brothers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

answering the call in Atlanta, Georgia

36 months ago

What are the odds...I was hired by a local police department here along with 8 other recruits back in March of this year. I made a couple bad decisions before going to the academy which involved me being asked to resign. I was only at the department for two weeks - my mistakes were to be late to the office. Once was because a longtime family friend who lived out of town became deathly ill, she was not expected to live and needed a heart transplant ASAP. I went to see her. The trip took a toll on me because I returned home hours before work and ended up over sleeping. I called in late and went to work and got chewed out by my captain. I expected that. Then three days later I became sick with either food poisining or a stomach virus which was something I've never dealt with before and instead of going to the hospital, I again called in and went to work. When I got there, I was allowed to work till the end of the day but told to go talk to my captain again. My captain tearfully urged me to resign and told me if I didn't I would be fired the next day. I had just quit my security job which I hated and was about to withdraw from college when I started with this department. At first I refused because I let go of everything else but I still ended up resigning. I left her office and stormed out of the precinct heart broken and furious with myself. There is nothing more I would rather do than to be a police officer. It has nothing to do with the money because we all know here in Georgia police officers make a modest income. It has nothing to do with what was seen on TV; I understand that's not reality. It has everything to do with what my heart is fixed on doing and what my mind won't let me stop thinking about so I'm answering the call...I'm not perfect but I will do my best to be fair, stand up for the laws of Georgia and to lend a helping hand where needed. Does anyone on here believe I will become a police officer again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

mahendra in Bhopal, India

36 months ago

I REALLY AGREE WITH YOU,YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT................

Frank Borelli in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'm a retired officer from the East Coast, and I can honestly say that I wish I never became a police officer. I did my best to do good during my career, but the administration kept bringing me down. I think I only made a dent in the world. I never moved mountains like I dreamed I would when I was a kid.

I had always wanted to be a police officer. I watched all the cop shows and movies, read cop books, and even dreamed about being a police officer when I slept at night. I think I just fell in love with the movie version of a cop, not the real version.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Joeydmathews in Plano, Texas

36 months ago

THE REAL Frank Borelli in Prince Frederick, Maryland said: The first post was put up by a faker using my name as revenge against me for banning him from the Officer.com forums. I enjoyed my more than two decades of service and never regret a day of it. I continue to serve as an instructor, author and editor for Officer.com. I'd like to extend a debt of gratitude to all officers who serve our great nation's internal safety and peace. It's often a thankless job that we continue to do as a matter of commitment and duty. STAY SAFE!

Hi there i was wondering if you could give me some information on how hard it is to become a Police Officer. You can email me at jdmathews3719@yahoo.com Thank you and have a great day!

Joey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Motor Officer in Scottsdale, Arizona

36 months ago

I always knew that I wanted to be a cop. I love it! I have always excelled in everything I have done. Since I have been an officer I have had more complaints than I have ever had in my professional career. Most of these were blue on blue type of complaints. I joined law enforcement hoping to recapture the commraderie that I had experienced in my military days. What a joke! Prior to employment with this newly developed department, I was asked/begged to stay at a larger agency. I had transferred to this new agency based on my family and I moving to this small community in Arizona, and I had never been complained on in my previous agency; in fact, I promoted more than once in my last agency. Wow! This new negative experience at this smaller agency was blowing me away. It got so bad once that I received a call while on a family outing with my wife; my wife became upset thinking I was involved in yet another complaint. She went off. This is the most supportive wife that I know, who was now very frustrated with the blue on blue politics. I LOVE my wife and kids; they have been 100% supportive to almost everything that we have done. My wife is a very accomplished teacher and new to being a professional attorney. When I think of what I would say to new recruits.... what advice I would give, I wonder what I would have wanted someone to share with me. I would have wanted to be prepared for what I faced. And truthfully, I did receive some warning. But it didn't register to the extent that it should have. I remember when I first thought of joining the police force, my family was most excited about "the weekend softball games and barbecues" that we would have with my future colleagues. LOL. I guess we had watched a little too much TV thinking that that was the way it was going to be. I don't know. I TRULY DO love the work, but I don't love the way officers treat each other and claw at each other in some agencies thinking it's going to help them to make their own way to top.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Career Awarness in Modesto, California

35 months ago

I need to interview a "PAROLE OR PROBATION OFFICER" i need this questions answered pleasee its for my guidance class.

Questions:
1.What do you do during a typical day?
2.What do you like most about your job?
3.What do you like least about your job?
4.What preparation (education, training, experience) would you suggest for someone interested in entering this field?
5.Have you held previous jobs which were stepping stones to this one?
What were they?
6.How did you get a job in this field?
7.When did you realize this is what you wanted to do?
8.What obstacles have you overcome?
9.Do you have any specific advice that you would give to someone considering this field work?
10.What do you see to be the future of this field of work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous -CSerV in Denbigh, United Kingdom

34 months ago

Becoming a police officer is a job, and not always an easy one. But you go for the wrong people all the time, i know what goes on around everywere and to put it quite simple your being laughed at.

The districts your searching in at the moment have alot of respect and if you put the wrong people in jail you start a war. How about you just look into a case deeply and monitor it and then go for a bust ? No idea why i would help the police because they just disrespect you all the time and could be much better.

Bottom line is "people" like me have other "people" looking out for them and not to be over the top right now but i have never not known the exact position of the police around me ever ! So you may want to take that into consideration too otherwise i recommend you just take to the streets and stop fights instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Kbeltran in Fargo, North Dakota

34 months ago

Police Officer for Life in Stafford, Virginia said: Mr. Borelli, as a fellow police officer, I'm glad that you stepped up and cleared the air of that false statement. I have never met a LEO, active or retired, who has said that they regret ever becoming a police officer. I have never had a more profound sense of accomplishment, honor, or pride in my life as I have had in my 6 years of service. I can't wait to put on that uniform and go to work each day. Sure the job has its downfalls but you just have to take the bad with the good. Do I believe that I make a difference? Honestly... YES!!! I don't expect to "change the world" but I do believe that if I help just one person each shift I work, then I just might have changed that persons life, and done my job for that day!!

So, to anyone who is "on the fence" about becoming a police officer? You have to be true to your choice. Do the research and talk to an officer and get their take. Don't base it on television. Even it is "COPS". Everyday police work is not glamerous and does not always end... "Happily Ever After"

Sincerely,

Ofc. S. M. Smith
Prince William County Police Department

Hi Ofc. S. M. Smith,
I am in my 3rd year of Criminal Justice. Right now I am writing my Research assignment, The title is: Life and the stress of wearing the Badge. I am writing about the divorce rate among Police Officers, does an officer think about this when they get married? And are their children treated the same as other children?
Sincerely,
Karen Beltran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Retiredcop in Lemont, Illinois

34 months ago

With every job or career there is good and bad. I spent my career with good guys who for the most part had my back as I had theirs. The police business is a tough one, you deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis and see the inhumanity that most people never see and would never understand. The thing that pissed me off the most was watching people who never made a felony arrest or much else for that matter being promoted and than being lead by the hand by the real police (patrolman) at a crime scene because "boss" don't know what to do. With that said I loved my job and would never trade those years as a police officer for anything besides the pension check. It's a great job as long as you realize that the only reason you have a job is because there are bad people out in the world who want to hurt other people and take their stuff. If you can get past the fact that at times it can seem like the most unrewarding job because of the administration, idiot states attorneys or liberal judges and the fact that you ain't gonna save the world everyday. You can have a great career with a good living....Stay Frosty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

darrell in Chattanooga, Tennessee

34 months ago

my exwife was lied about by the police in dayton tn.they put in the report things i didn't even acusse her of.how can they balatly lie like that .if i have to sell everything i have i will sue the rhea county police deparment.it was the rhea county police department.not all police are bad but some of them lie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

OO-RAH in South San Francisco, California

34 months ago

police work is hard work, it is funny because i see people who are not into the education thing become police officers and write reports all day, then their are college grads that are police and dont want to write reports

the hardest part of police work is writing reports, it could be 30 minutes till the end of your shift and bam, someone's baby mama got crapped slapped and her vehicle window busted out, now she wants an emergency protective order, and there goes your scheduled end of watch being extended

i think i enjoyed the military much more, no reports, no s-hhhhty hours, police work again is tough, im hanging in there thanks to this economy, i think i would change careers when im able to land something else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Beltran in Fargo, North Dakota

34 months ago

Student Needing an Interview in Denver, Colorado said: Any of you former and current Police officer interested in an email interview reguarding your time on the job? I am writing a paper for my English Class, at Red Rocks Community College in Lakewood Colorado, on the culture of Police officers. The paper itself is focused on a nuetral discussion of the culture. The interview would be about 7-10 question, but I need honest and complete answers. Any Takers? Would love to hear your stories

Hi,
I am in my 3rd year of Criminal Justice and my research assignment for one of my classes is, the title is: Life and the Stress in Wearing the Badge. If anyone has any coments to help with my research assignment I would be very appreciated.
Karen Beltran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Normal Citizen in Paterson, New Jersey

33 months ago

IT'S ALL ABOUT POLITICS in Farwell, Texas said: U have worked in both Texas and New Mexico. In 17 years and three different departments I found that it is all about departmental politics. Everyone says law enforcement is a stress job...It is but all the stress comes from the politics within the department. I have seen more GOOD officers leave a department and the political trash stay. You cannot tell me that this does not take place in departments all over the United States. I have talked with too many officers from other states during my 17 years to believe that. I was always told to "go with the flow" and I would do well in my career. It's hard to go with the "flow" when you see officers committing acts that would get the normal citizen in trouble. Come on guys, let's be real here.

After you comment, I do not feel so bad after getting a speeding ticket. The State Police supposedly stopped me for going 95 on 55. However, I had my speed cruise between 55 and 60 mph, on a windy and stormy night. He cop said he stopped me because I passed someone. I agree, I passed someone who was doing like 25 on a express lane on Rt 80 going from NJ to New York. Well, I went to court and ask the judge to give me time to get the discovery. I went to NJ State Police Headquarters and they were very rude. They told me, there was no discovery and that if there was I needed an attorney even though I was representing myself. No to mention, the cop did no used radar, according to him he pace me. He was dead wrong, how can you pace someone when I passed you about a mile and a half, and you just had pulled someone? Well to make a long story short, five years of good driving went down the drain. I follow and respect the law, but when you encounter people who just think they are above the law, it makes you think twice?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry Atlansky in Portland, Oregon

33 months ago

Dec 30,2011

Hi Frank,

Hope you made it in the D.E.A with the federal government......

I can understand why you feel the way you do.

Please Google:

Program, Truly Reforming Law Enforcement

Rise In Police Brutality USA TODAY Dec 18, 2007

Jerry Atlansky Oregon State Senate Bill 111 Police Use Of Deadly Physical Force 2007

We would like your feedback......

Future success,

Jerry Atlansky Founder/Chairperson
United States Police/Oregon State Police-
Independent Citizens Review Board
Portland, Oregon 97213
jmatlansky@gmail.com 24/365

Frank Borelli in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'm a retired officer from the East Coast, and I can honestly say that I wish I never became a police officer. I did my best to do good during my career, but the administration kept bringing me down. I think I only made a dent in the world. I never moved mountains like I dreamed I would when I was a kid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Retiredcop in Lemont, Illinois

32 months ago

the square root of -1 in Oak Brook, Illinois said: What is being a police officer like? I'm not sure whether I should pursue this as a career because my peers say that (and I quote) "Police officers are uneducated and it would be a waste of an education to become one. If you want to become a cop, become a bum, learn to fight, and be a bully to everyone." Are they right or should I just ignore them and become a cop. I want to do an honest job and help those in need and not abuse the position.

Your friends are probably liberal "occupy" protester types don't listen to them. With every career, job, occupation there are some morons that slip through the cracks. The main objective of every police officer should be to help people that's what I always prided myself in. There are some cops out there that just show up for a paycheck, some to help people and some who think they are above the law...which one would you be if you decided to pursue a police career. Your peers comment that it would be a waste of an education...everyday is an education cops know more about life and the way the world works more than most people because you see and live some of the craziest things. You see inhumanity at its worst people at their lowest ebb, everyday is different and that's what keeps you coming back for more. Most of the department I was on had at least a BA/BS and most had Master Degrees in assorted fields. The question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to make sacrifices, work odd hours,weekends and holidays and can you kill a person ...take the life of another person before he kills you or another citizen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

the square root of -1 in Oak Brook, Illinois

32 months ago

Ah, it's nice to see that someone that can see my side. But I guess my friends haven't actually experienced what it's like to be a police officer. They are just going with what the media says about police nowadays. I think I could probably handle the stress and make sacrifices; I usually am not affected by stress. Like I said, I do want to help people and not abuse the authority given. Thank you for sharing your opinion and giving a realistic outlook on what police work really is like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jnovak07 in Hampton, New Hampshire

32 months ago

BooYaa said: I just recently retired as an Officer in New Hampshire. I have been offered numerous other LE jobs and I'm here to tell you that I will never ever put a uniform on again. It is not the public that makes the job so degrading but the administration. Chief Rod Collins, now of the Mashpee, Ma Police Department is the main reason I hate the profession so much. He sets double standards, one for him and his pals on the force and then another standard for all the others. His list of accomplishments are distinguished. He got a NH State Trooper suspended after he begged the trooper to let him go on a Drunk Driving charge (which the poor trooper did), has appeared in a sex tape involving one of his former dispatchers, has involved himself in extramarrital affairs and has been forced to leave all three New Hampshire police departments where he served as police chief. He surrounds himself with a few close friends, one of which is now his Captain (from NH of course). How he got hired in Mashpee is beyond me as they obviously failed to conduct a proper background investigation, otherwise the above mentioned items would have been uncovered. Oh, that's right one of his friends was serving as interim chief at the time in Mashpee.

My point is, your career will be dictated by administrators such as Chief Rodney, do as I say and certainly not as I do. I am proud to have served but disgraced to have served under Chief Rodney Collins. To those who are looking and just have to take on the career, find a big city department, stay under the radar and click off your years.

Hello,
I have a nephew you was forced to resign from the New Hampshire State Police Force do to politics within his department. He absolutely loved his job/career and very much deserved to uphold the law in this state. He served in the United States Marines and did 4 tours in Iraq. Unfortunately, his lieutenant set him up and caused him to resign before his probation period was up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jnovak07 in Hampton, New Hampshire

32 months ago

jnovak07 in Hampton, New Hampshire said: Hello,
I have a nephew you was forced to resign from the New Hampshire State Police Force do to politics within his department. He absolutely loved his job/career and very much deserved to uphold the law in this state. He served in the United States Marines and did 4 tours in Iraq. Unfortunately, his lieutenant set him up and caused him to resign before his probation period was up.

Another officer of 14 years resigned as well due to this ass! The lieutenant went under investigation for his actions but was simply squashed because the Colonel is his buddy. How sad it is that a young man can go fight for our country to then return home to be persecuted by one of his own fellow Americans!!! What a shame! What goes around comes around...he will get his!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilly roeun in Saint Paul, Minnesota

32 months ago

Idk why I'm here , I wanted to be a cop because,I believe in protecting the community and making a better environment for others to live in, not even worse pain of crime can change my mind about it, I wouldn't fear the causes of dying because, people die of worse cases then fighting crime everyday, around the world. Sometimes I would ask people, why do you want to become a cop?, most them said money I was more likely surprised because, I thought someone who risked their life, was for their companionship and bravery, I sometimes find it unfair for those who wants to be cops for a good reason like for good causes but sometimes wouldnt get hired, then for the ones who don't care but only for money ... Idk what's up, but that's what

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lilly roeun in Saint Paul, Minnesota

32 months ago

Idk why I'm here , I wanted to be a cop because,I believe in protecting the community and making a better environment for others to live in, not even worse pain of crime can change my mind about it, I wouldn't fear the causes of dying because, people die of worse cases then fighting crime everyday, around the world. Sometimes I would ask people, why do you want to become a cop?, most them said money I was more likely surprised because, I thought someone who risked their life, was for their companionship and bravery, I sometimes find it unfair for those who wants to be cops for a good reason like for good causes but sometimes wouldnt get hired, then for the ones who don't care but only for money ... Idk what's up, but that's what

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nc officer in Cayce, South Carolina

32 months ago

IT'S ALL ABOUT POLITICS in Farwell, Texas said: U have worked in both Texas and New Mexico. In 17 years and three different departments I found that it is all about departmental politics. Everyone says law enforcement is a stress job...It is but all the stress comes from the politics within the department. I have seen more GOOD officers leave a department and the political trash stay. You cannot tell me that this does not take place in departments all over the United States. I have talked with too many officers from other states during my 17 years to believe that. I was always told to "go with the flow" and I would do well in my career. It's hard to go with the "flow" when you see officers committing acts that would get the normal citizen in trouble. Come on guys, let's be real here.

I agree 100% as I just left a department in NC for the upper political trash that came from the brass. It's a true shame that good officers continue to leave departments because they won't kiss ass or kiss the boots of the command staff that trashes everything law enforcement stands for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Belfast, United Kingdom

32 months ago

I am a middle aged guy now many years ago I seriously considered a career in the police in the UK. I have always admired and respected police it sounds as though police work could described as monotony punctuated with terror.
I ended up in education. I did get a chance to speak to many police officers from the UK and Ireland.I asked a lot of questions. One of my relatives was a policeman, the experience changed his personality. He was
very disillusioned feared for his life etc.He told me people gave no thanks for risking life and limb to protect others.That was Northern Irealand,where you were caught between two bitter factions who had one thing in common they hated you no matter what.
What struck me was the disillusionment among many police -with being messed about and USED by politicians - contradictory ideas foisted on the police which hinder effective operation.
Such as Political Correctness, and of course complaints about what the police do or dont do. It seems no matter what police do-it is wrong! I am speaking of the Ireland /Uk experience I cant speak for our
American friends. I concluded I was glad I did not sign up for the police.
I am reading disturbing articles, claiming corrupt politicians are using and abusing the police to protect corrupt treaonous bankers and politicians asses.But hey maybe these have an agenda - I dont know.
Police should start asserting themsleves with politicians and the like. I predict these same politicians police are asked to protect - will betray police and screw them over -without hesistation if they have to.
I heard from a second party(thus cant prove or confirm )that in the UK police uncovered child abuse in very high places (politicians)- they were called off.After putting together a superb and highly effective operation. My advice to police everywhere - watch your backs!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Claremont, New Hampshire

32 months ago

well im 15 years old and i really want to become a police officer. are you sure you didnt make a difference??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

ashley in Claremont, New Hampshire said: well im 15 years old and i really want to become a police officer. are you sure you didnt make a difference??

Hi Ashley,

If you read the the reply from "the REAL Frank Borelli" earlier in the thread you'll see that he would not try to dissuade you from pursuing your Police career aspirations.

The person who started this thread is an impostor who is being vindictive toward Frank. The person was permanently banned from officer.com after repeatedly and incorrigibly violating its terms of service. He's posted on various websites, falsely identifying himself as Frank, out of unjustified retributive spite.

If Frank reads this post he will doubtless know who it's from due its writing characteristics. If you go to officer.com and read some of Frank's writings you will easily see that he would never have written such a sullen and malingering post as that written by the person who started this thread. The real Frank Borelli is a real Police Officer, and a stand up guy, who would not try to disparage the job as the impostor who masqueraded as him did.

If you're genuinely interested in a Police career, please do the right things: stay out of trouble, don't do anything unlawful, stay away from the wrong peer pressures, try to get good grades in school, talk to some Police Officers in your locality and let them know of your interest and see if they can perhaps give you some pointers.

I applaud your interest in a Police career and wish you the best.

Regards,

***** (name elided for avoidance of unjustified reprisals)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

longhornstb in Bedford, Texas

32 months ago

I work in Dallas in a Community that sees so much crime, yet when the Dallas officers come out, they act like they don't care. They tell me there is nothing they can do. I have ran off 3 resident that were selling drugs in their homes, and one had teens from the neighborhood selling pot to other kids at school. I gave the Dallas police all the information and names of kids involved. Nothing happen to get him out, until I evicted the home owner that he was living with. It took 5 hours to get to a house that had just been robbed in broad daylight. People had seen someone still in the area.

Thank God I live in another part of the DFW Metroplex, but I deal with Dallas PD on a weekly basis. They suck.

Oh and the Dallas Animal Control when you call them they told me they will not go catch a dog that is loose even if it is a Pit Bull that bit someone. I have to catch it and they will pick it up. The said they are not Dog Catchers.....OMG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

officer39485 in Richardson, Texas

31 months ago

What ruins police careers is simple... It starts and ends with Admin... Monday night quarterbacking... Politics... Favoritism... Not promoting within... No communication... Empty promises... Changing policies...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me123 in Cedarburg, Wisconsin

31 months ago

As a former officer I can only tell you what I have seen in a larger city department. You go into the job believing you are the good guys and see the officers who are the cowards and the criminals in uniform are the ones who get promoted and become your bosses. Even if you try to do the right thing and be a good officer you will always be a threat to the cowards and criminals who got promoted. Go into this profession with your eyes wide open, there are a lot of good cops and just as many bad. If you believe that being the good cop will get you anywhere you are sadly mistaken. If you try to expose these bad cops they will destroy your career in a heartbeat and or get you hurt (call for back-up and nobody comes!) Even as the good cop you have to look the other way or you will be destroyed, It eats at your gut every day. Yes the stress comes from inside. Give me the dirtbags on the street anyday.. they don't cause the stress, the political machine and lust for power cause the stress. I was so glad to get out the day my pension kicked in. BTW the Criminal Justice degree is useless once you get out, train for something else while your on the job, oh and a lot of companies hate ex-cops and wont hire you. I tell companies now that I was a housewife the last 25 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Asus186 in Caracas, Venezuela

31 months ago

I am currently a college student studying criminal justice and have an assignment on goals before retirement. If there are any retired officer or officers nearing retirement out there that are willing to correspond with me via email to cover this topic please let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

war444hero in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee

31 months ago

I need all the thoughts and comments i can get on this. i am !9 years of age about to graduate high school and plan on pursuing a career in criminal justice and law enforcement. id love to become a police officer. Any suggestions, comments, pursuations, things to look out for,... anything like this would be grateful of you. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

BMD43 in Scranton, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I have a Bachelors degree in Communications and a Masters degree in Higher Ed. I currently work at a satellite office for a college in PA. However, I find no fulfillment in my job and have always thought about a career in law enforcement. I am looking into going through the training to become a police officer and am just looking for some information regarding the life of an officer. I understand that there is a great deal of stress in the life of an officer, however, I find my current job very stressful. Does anyone have any advice for someone in my position? It would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john king in Athens, Georgia

31 months ago

I agree 100%, it not the job its the people doing the job. Its seems if you dont take it from behind then you have a problem. There are so many police departments were the officers and high ranking officers are worse then the criminals we arrest it is very sad. I love policing but I hate the politics. If you value your career stay away from Doraville Police Department they are worse then criminals and that starts at the top.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in New York, New York

31 months ago

I think NYPD sucks.

I was born in NYC and I have spent over 40 years here. I can tell you that NYPD sucks. The NYC cops remind me of the criminals they arrest. The cops lie all the time and many of them abuse people. At this time in my life, I cannot help looking at a NYC cop and seeing a criminal dressed in blue. I have been to places like Florida where I have witnessed cops that are totally different from NYC cops. They are respectful, polite and they don't have such a bad reputation as NYC cops.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Student M245 in Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario

31 months ago

I'll like to know how to become a homicide detective, is there a way to earning your rank up to that point when you're a cop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kira Davis in Hagerstown, Maryland

31 months ago

NYPD in New York, New York said: You don't sign anything. It's a committment not a legal obligation. If you don't like anything then it's your perogotive to quit at any time. You stayed until retirement.

Also, nothing in reality is as it's portrayed on TV. This is the basis of many unjust stereotypes. Integridy is a requirement but is not enough, real police officers should and do emphasize real-world logic and reasoning. They also tend to be hard and thick-skinned. All this seemed to have escaped you my friend.

You spelt integrity wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

upperlimits31 in Massillon, Ohio

30 months ago

I am intrested in becoming a police officer, there is only one thing that I am stuck on. I regret to say but while I was in the military I acted as a punk. I was young and dumb and joined for all the wrong reasons. I ended up with a bfd due to court Marshall. A while back I talked to the value and he said that I didn't need to disclose this to an employer if I didn't want to it was private and I could keep it that way since it was not a dishonorable discharge. And im referring to to me being in the military. Do I need to disclose this info when applying for law enforcement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Gainesville, Florida

30 months ago

upperlimits31 in Massillon, Ohio said: I am intrested in becoming a police officer, there is only one thing that I am stuck on. I regret to say but while I was in the military I acted as a punk. I was young and dumb and joined for all the wrong reasons. I ended up with a bfd due to court Marshall. A while back I talked to the value and he said that I didn't need to disclose this to an employer if I didn't want to it was private and I could keep it that way since it was not a dishonorable discharge. And im referring to to me being in the military. Do I need to disclose this info when applying for law enforcement

I would if I were you. They will probably find out one way or another and its best to just be open and honest with them from the start. Admit that you realize you made a mistake and you're looking to move on and do better things with your life. This career is about integrity and honesty, do your best to uphold that even if it hurts you in the end. Just my 2 cents. Take it easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

upperlimits31 in Massillon, Ohio said: I am intrested in becoming a police officer, there is only one thing that I am stuck on. I regret to say but while I was in the military I acted as a punk. I was young and dumb and joined for all the wrong reasons. I ended up with a bfd due to court Marshall. A while back I talked to the value and he said that I didn't need to disclose this to an employer if I didn't want to it was private and I could keep it that way since it was not a dishonorable discharge. And im referring to to me being in the military. Do I need to disclose this info when applying for law enforcement

I would if I were you. They will probably find out one way or another and its best to just be open and honest with them from the start. Admit that you realize you made a mistake and you're looking to move on and do better things with your life. This career is about integrity and honesty, do your best to uphold that even if it hurts you in the end. Just my 2 cents. Take it easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jjgcrewepd@gmail.com in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

30 months ago

I worked for Dinwiddie County Sheriffs Office for three years and the Newly Elected Sheriff, DT Duck Adams, would not reappoint me, when he was elected. He did though
hire back, Kevin Smith, who was terminated, by Sheriff Rhodes for stealing, while he was on duty. He also hired back
another individual, who was investigated, for asking sexual favors, to not write a female a speeding ticket. Sheriffs Adams also
in relations, with a female, by the name of Carroll Updike, who is thirty five years younger, than he. She has also slept with numerous Officers
in the Sheriffs Office. How he made Sheriff is a miracle. Sheriff Adams was even investigated for having stolen farm Equiptment , on his property.
For all Officers coming out of the Academy, Stay away from Politics and people like him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J-W- in DC, District of Columbia

30 months ago

Being a police officer can be very rewarding. It can also be very difficult at times. It takes a lot of commitment and dedication. It is not for everyone.

<a href="www.peaceofficerjobs.com">Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

<a href="www.peaceofficerjobs.com">Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pet peeved in Thunder Bay, Ontario

30 months ago

kay how do I stop getting replies from this thread? It's getting really annoying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.