Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 9091)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Chris in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

79 months ago

I am currently in school, working toward a PTEC degree. I have a few questions.

I know it varies, but, typically, what is the average starting pay, for a process technician. What does pay typically top off at, or does it top off? Are there specific pay scales, or do you receive a percentage pay raise, every year. If someone starts at $22/hr, what would they typically be making 5 years, 10 years, 20 years later?

I've seen some great salaries posted by process technicians. I've heard, on more than one occassion, of guys pulling in $90-$100K+. I'm wondering -- to pull in that kind of money, does it require constant over-time?

Just trying to get a gouge og pay. I've done research, and it all points to this being a great paying career, but most of the pay refers to starting pay, and doesn't mention expectations, beyong that. Such as, once you've been a process technician for 5-10+ years, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (132) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

JimTexas68 in Pasadena, Texas

57 months ago

Some of the things that will help you people that I have learned over the years:
1. Try to get a job with a contract company inside a plant or refinery. Even as a craft helper you will propably make more money than you are now and it will help you get familiar with the environment. You will learn about energy isolation and lock out policies that will help you during an interview when you are possibly asked if you understand or have you ever been exposed to lock tag and try. You will learn other important job and safety policies, permitting policies, and also will be exposed to sweating and freezing in a hard hat and flame retardent clothing all day. This could help you decide if this is the correct career move for you before you spend alot of money on the ptech school.
2. Joint a local volunteer fire department. This is the single most helpfull thing a person with no experience can do to set him/herself apart from other candidates. You learn inportant firefighting skills (which you WILL use in a plant) and you let the interviewer know that you would be an experienced FF for the plant fire brigade.
3. If you want to take a course or read some material that will help you get hired. Read or take a course on Process Safety Management. An understanding of PSM (for short)and its components will help you speak with knowledge during an interview.

If you do these three things...you will have a much easier time getting hired. You will also have a better knowledge of what you are in for as an operator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

alphaman4ever in Houston, Texas said: Are the courses in process technlogy rigorous or difficult? I'm looking into getting into a PTECH program in the near future but would like to know what I'm getting myself into..... I greatly appreciate the advice.

Don't know where you would be going to school, but at San Jac the only difficult classes for me were Physics, instrumentation, technical math and troubleshooting. The rest were a breeze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alphaman4ever in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

I'm thinking about San Jac PTech program, I'm just not sure yet....the goal is to get in and get out. I've taken the basics already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Deer Park, Texas

53 months ago

PTEC is alot like any other field that is mechanical. You must apply yourself and be willing to work hard, and long hours, day or night shifts. The shifts alternate weekly from day to night.
I worked in manufacturing for 14 years making semiconductors. I returned to college to get an associate degree in PTEC, and finished with a Bachelor's in PTEC and Applied Arts and Sciences.
I believe that anyone who is dedicated and values his education can do it easily. It is NOT rocket science. This is a BLUE COLLAR job, and basically vocational in nature.
If you do well in school, you should get hired in a good paying job. I worked in the chemical industry for 7 years making $70,000.00 per year, and now make $120,00.00 and upwards in oil refining. I make GASOLINE for Citgo. BUT, it took me 7 years of interviews to get in the oil business. It can be done if you keep an eye out for the jobs.
Pursue your dreams, and do not place anyone, or anything in your way. You will succeed, my GPA is 3.85, and I dropped out of high school to join the Navy on a GED. If I can do it, anyone can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jonah25 in New Orleans, Louisiana

53 months ago

Can anyone tell me whats a Operator Trainee job because I saw one of the local refinery plants hiring for this in my area and would like to know more about it. So if anyone either applied for this or know anything about it please let me know. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Terry68 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

53 months ago

I'm in a PTEC program and recently tested for the Shell internship. I passed and got interview, now I'm just waiting on the final word. Hopefully they will make announcements soon. But I have a few questions about working offshore with a PTEC degree. I know there are drilling rigs and production rigs and that PTEC guys go to production rigs. What do the guys on production rigs do? What are the various positions? How do you advance out there? Any help would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

53 months ago

well I just finished up an internship with shell inland at one of the refinery and one of the guys in my class got one offshore and he said its laid back 14 on 14 off. they wash your close for u feed u every day all the rooms have 32" flat screens and ps3s and they even have people to clean your room 9 times out of 10 they will hire u on after your internship because the guy I go to school with just got an offer to work fulltime after he graduates and they just told me today their going to hire me at the refinery so if u get in just handle your buisness and u will be cool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

you must be talkin about the velaro job its just an entrylevel position if ur in school for ptech u might get it the plants here in louisiana been hireing like crazy just got on at shell motiva and got a job offer for dow chem so just try it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Jonah25 in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Can anyone tell me whats a Operator Trainee job because I saw one of the local refinery plants hiring for this in my area and would like to know more about it. So if anyone either applied for this or know anything about it please let me know. thanks

Trainee means you will be In a 2 to 4 year training program. You'll work or cover the overtime in your unit. The life of a trainee can be hard depending if they move you from shift to shift. Don't let that scare you away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jdavis in Plano, Texas

52 months ago

Has anyone graduated from LIT and got a job recently (last 6-9 months)Im thinking about enrolling this summer for the PTECH program but im curious to know how easy/hard it is to get hired on at a local refinery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tomtom in Groves, Texas

52 months ago

Don't waste your time getting the two year ptech degree if you don't have any prior work experience related to the manufacturing,construction,petrochemical,ect fields.LIT increased the degree to 75 credits as opposed to the old 60 credit curricullum.All my friends who graduated from LIT with the ptech degree cannot find any jobs because they don't have any prior work experience related to the field.An intership after graduating doesn't guaranttee you a job offer.My cousin got hired from a well known refinery as a process operator without the ptech degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Lavelle in Little Elm, Texas

52 months ago

I'm enrolling into the PTEC program this summer and I'm really excited to work toward a new career. My Dilemma is choosing the right school. My choices are between Nunez Community College in Chalmette La. and College of the Mainland in Texas City TX. Can anyone advise on they're experience at either school or a 3rd party conversation on how they felt about either one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Guys im 19 i failed out of engineering,(couldn't get past cal 2) im extremely worried that I wont have a future so now im looking at going for my associates in plant operations technology from San Jacinto community college. Honestly speaking how is the job opportunity outlook in the houston/texas city/galena park/etc area and what can I do to gain some sort of experience in this field ? Also what are avg union dues and is it all unionized?

If this dont work guys ill prob try to become an electrician or a lineman for center-point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Well I live in louisiana and texas and louisiana are about the same when it comes to PTECH jobs because we both prety much have all the same plants evry plant here prety much has the same one in texas and here things are rolling and picking up more and more every year so I know it has to be about the same there. So that means your geting in at a good time because alot of operators are between the ages ou 50 & 60 so there are guys leaving these jobs left and right. I was able to get an internship at one of the shell refineries here in louisiana called motiva and about 60% of he guys their were 50 or older so your talking about job openening up month after month every were. So to me it the best job hands down because no matter what these job will always be in demand crude oil is this contries life blood and you will be suprised what all comes from it that we use on a day to day basis stuff like soap, plastic, polyester in clother, toothpaste, jet fuel antifreez, ect all these thing come from crude oil or either components in the crude oil so on top of just gas maybe 80% or more of the stuff we use on a day to day basis comes from this stuff so that means plant after plant running and having jobs for years to come and not being efected by the economy. When I was interning at shell all the operatores I talked to averaged between 100k to 160k a year thats good money. After my internshiph shell hired me to come work for them after I graduate but I got many other offers to from other plant like Dow chem and others and prety much every dude in my class that handled business got a job even the green ones pepole may say yea u need experience its like this you get out of it what you put in to it handle your business and you'll be good just like one operator told me befor they cut you losse in the plant they gona teach you every thing you need to know pluss even if your green in your interview they can tell if you have potential so handle your business in school and no calculu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Old Timer in Mississippi

52 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: So were you green going into the internship ? And what kind of work did you do before you went into PTECH? Also can i expect decent hours ?

You ork can't expect decent hours. Most operator jobs involve shift work. That means you will be working when most people are sleeping. You will work all holidays except if you are scheduled to be off. If you have a family you will work Christmas and miss out on childrens activity.It is a very stressful occupation but tou can make a lot of money. I am a retired supervisor so I know what it's like

52 months ago

www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs008.htm according to this theres been a 22% drop expected in bot salary and the hiring of new operators in the coming years. Fact of the matter is I want a family someday and i also don't want to miss a single christmas....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

when I went into my internship I had 6 years industrial experience but that don't really matter Iv seen guys leaving school every day with no plant experience landing jobs when your a contractor working in the plan your on the out side looking in so when you get on the other side stuff is total different. if your in a good school you will know more than a contractor working in a plant for 20 years I was shocked about how much more I knew than then some of the operators during my internship guys that been doing that type of work for years on the job experience teaches them how and what to do but school gives you an edge because you know why its doing what its doing like for instance here they teach us chemistry we have to take three different types of chemistry in certain parts of the process the operators knew what was going on but not why it was going on. It makes you a more well rounded operator every dude from my school kills it on interviews because the school make you so knowledgeable and when the big wigs see that they eat it up because that mean your teachable. And for the day working its like this were else can you go and make six figures a year working a little over six months a year every plant is different, different schedules all that some you work 7 on 7 off some 4 on 4 off or whatever yea you may miss some holidays but its not like you there all day at shell we get off at 4 still time to kick it with the family one of the operators I worked with was 26 made 140k a year and lived in a 400k house at 26 come on that cool say you may have 4 days off during your rotating schedule you can get some one to pick up you shift the day before an after and have six days off to maybe take a mini vacation with the family stuff like that you can do on no other job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Old Timer in Mississippi

52 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs008.htm according to this theres been a 22% drop expected and the hiring of new operators in the coming years. Fact of the matter is I want a family someday and i also don't want to miss a single christmas....

Working holidays isn't the worse part of the job.Being an operator the plants all run 24/7 rain shine sleet or snow. You can't tell your supervisor you can't work out side because the rain is too hard. There is a lot of physical work involved such as climbing ladders and opening and closing large valves. You will spend more time with your coworkers than you do with your family.For the first years you are the bottom of the pile. That means you get all the crappy jobs in the unit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

NDTinspector85 in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

I would try to get a operators job now and see if you can land one without going to san jac and some company for your education if you work for them

2chase3 in League City, Texas

52 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

I think your math is incorrect You currently have 45 hrs. (65) attempted guessing you have possibly a low 3 to high 2 GPA..This being if you did not drop saving the 6 drop limit.

I so hope it doesn't take you 4 years for another 75 hours.. yet I must missed if you were shooting for your BA or Masters (which you know by now they are leaning heavily for 6 yrs to be state licensed. My advice ...suck it up and stay on path even if you gotta dredge through a dead end job to meet your goals...stay focused!..each semester brings you closer to where your gonna be...

In ten years your still gonna be here..as A linemen, operator or engineer...its your choice. What do you require out of life?

What discipline of Engineering you considering? And if you live in Houston why would you have to move??..UofH Cullen College of Engineering...???...Why move??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TomTom in Groves, Texas

52 months ago

Listen to what "Old Timer" says.He's an experienced retired supervisor.You shouldn't sacrifice your health and family for a job.There are plenty of other careers out there.I have alot from friends that are divorced that are process operators.I've personally spoke to some old process operators and they advised that if you're still young,go for an engineering degree instead of the two year ptech or choose another career.You can have a nice 400k house,but you don't know about the other guy fcuking your wife in your house while your constantly at work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NDTinspector85 in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

TomTom in Groves, Texas said: Listen to what "Old Timer" says.He's an experienced retired supervisor.You shouldn't sacrifice your health and family for a job.There are plenty of other careers out there.I have alot from friends that are divorced that are process operators.I've personally spoke to some old process operators and they advised that if you're still young,go for an engineering degree instead of the two year ptech or choose another career.You can have a nice 400k house,but you don't know about the other guy fcuking your wife in your house while your constantly at work

I think you are being a lil harsh
I grew up in a family full of operators who do suggest you get your engineering degree but i think its where you work I have two cousins who started out as operators and the companies they work for paid for their education and now they are engineer and they both did it right out of high school and it took them less than 7 yrs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TomTom in Groves, Texas

52 months ago

Congrats to your cousins NDTinspector.Their company has great benefits.No universities in my area accept ptech courses as transfer credit to a engineering degree though,only core classes transfer.However,they have a 2+2 program,2 year ptech degree+2 years at university= Bachelors in Industrial technology.

Terry68 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

52 months ago

I'm not sure if I missed this or not do you get paid for the Shell internships?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dragon in Seabrook, Texas

52 months ago

Bigiron in Houston, Texas said: It's REALLY hard to get an operators job here in Houston , you have to KNOW someone , I would love to make this career change, but really don't have any connections , thinking about going back to school !!

I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

what are your hours like and what are your benefits ? Are you unionized?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?

52 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?

i agree i didnt know anyone. i knew God AND HARD WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andre Beraud@MR.FO.C.U.S. in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I can tell everyone that landed a job is hard work, but it can be done with persistance and consistancy. i applied for over 100 jobs before i had my first mechanical test with Chevron Phillips in Orange tx. i pass the simulators and i was ready for the interview. i didnt get the job, but door begin to open for me. you have to realize that persistance wear out resistance. if you stay with it, you will succeed. i apply for chevron over 20 times, i apply for conoco phillips over 30 times and on my 20th time i took the test, had a interview and they didnt hire me. Yes i was disappointed, i began to question if i would ever get a job, but i didnt give up and i Thank GOD. i APPLY FOR shell over 24 times and on the 22 time i went to norco la for a interview and 2 days later they call me and offer me the job. i am a living witness hard work pays off and you dont have to know anyone but Jesus. Amen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

good luck fellow shell worker I just got on at shell motiva and I dont finsh school until september and your right about everything you said. you get out of it what you put in to it work hard and you get rewarded

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: good luck fellow shell worker I just got on at shell motiva and I dont finsh school until september and your right about everything you said. you get out of it what you put in to it work hard and you get rewarded

WHICH LOCATION DO YOU WORK AT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: I beg to differ. Of course most plants would prefer the degree over the certificate , but the certificate is enough for some plants. I know several fellow students that were hired recently with just the certificate and no experience (actually they don't have it until December). If you can get the degree, get it. If you can only get the certificate, then get that. There are going to be many openings in the next few years as many operators have reached retirement age and are ready to retire, but can't because of the economy. But then again, who knows when that will improve?

i believe you need to get the two year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas

52 months ago

I'm still looking. I would like to use my degree, although I work in the lab right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas

52 months ago

Desoto??? Where'd that come from? I'm in Baytown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

Larhonda in Houston Tx said; You are excactly right Mr.Beraud I haved learned that when you are turned down from a particular job offer.Use every No as Motivation and Keep pushing at it. Perfect your skill, Preparation+Oppurtunity=Success. Thats why you are the person we have today because u took everthing it tooks no matter what without giving up. God Bless you!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas said: I'm still looking. I would like to use my degree, although I work in the lab right now.

Whatever you do, dont give up looking for a process tech job. The jobs are out there, you just have to go and get them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Andre Beraud@MR.FO.C.U.S. in Houston, Texas said: Larhonda in Houston Tx said; You are excactly right Mr.Beraud I haved learned that when you are turned down from a particular job offer.Use every No as Motivation and Keep pushing at it. Perfect your skill, Preparation+Oppurtunity=Success. Thats why you are the person we have today because u took everthing it tooks no matter what without giving up. God Bless you!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you Larhonda. You can be a operator also. Go and get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Operatorjoe in Metairie, Louisiana

52 months ago

Pretty interesting read these comments when I'm working nights as an Operator. Be ready for your lives to change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Chris in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am currently in school, working toward a PTEC degree. I have a few questions.

I know it varies, but, typically, what is the average starting pay, for a process technician. What does pay typically top off at, or does it top off? Are there specific pay scales, or do you receive a percentage pay raise, every year. If someone starts at $22/hr, what would they typically be making 5 years, 10 years, 20 years later?

I've seen some great salaries posted by process technicians. I've heard, on more than one occassion, of guys pulling in $90-$100K+. I'm wondering -- to pull in that kind of money, does it require constant over-time?

Just trying to get a gouge og pay. I've done research, and it all points to this being a great paying career, but most of the pay refers to starting pay, and doesn't mention expectations, beyong that. Such as, once you've been a process technician for 5-10+ years, etc.

hey chris do you have your ptec degree yet. are you working for a company yet.

52 months ago

Is there anyone out there who is working for shell right now. Can someone explain to me what should i expect when i start work on July 11.2011 in Norco LA. Thanks for the advice in advanced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Operatorjoe in Metairie, Louisiana said: Pretty interesting read these comments when I'm working nights as an Operator. Be ready for your lives to change.

Can you go into details. Where are you working? Why would our lives change.

52 months ago

Because once you become a shift worker it's a new lifestyle. While you're working others are sleep or while you're sleep for are working. Being on shift you're going to give up your weekends as well. I get mine off at times but usually I get one full weekend off a month. That is hard when you have other obligations. Getting off of work at 4 or 5 in the morning the. Going home for a bit of rest can be hard. I like it myself while some have a hard time adjusting. Shoot sometimes I'll work nights get off one morning then the next day I'm back working days.

The money can be addicting like on any job. Work an extra day or two and you get an extra grand or more on your check gets you. Folks call it the gold hand cuffs.

Wherever you work show initiative in learning your unit and take interest in what older operators have to say!

dragon in Seabrook, Texas

52 months ago

I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

thanks a lot for the information. i will be making 21.58 for 6 weeks and than after 6 weeks i will move up to 26.58. how long does it take before a person will start working overtime.

52 months ago

You can work OT when you train and qualify on your first job. Take your test as well as a walk around. Don't let them rush you on your training. Once you sign off the job is yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Biostudent in Groves, Texas

52 months ago

Operatorjoe, may I have your email address?I'd like to ask you some questions about my future and need your help.Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Samkat04@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.