2 yr or 4 yr PTEC school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Charles Michael Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana

56 months ago

I wasnt trying to sway anybody to 2-year degree I just know you need the AAS as the basic degree to get in the plants. Always go for a 4 year degree I am almost finshed with my degree in Accounting 2 semesters left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charles Michael Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana

56 months ago

at the University of Houston-Main Campus GO COOGS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase in League City, Texas

56 months ago

Charles Michael Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana said: I guess a lot of the Companies that I interviewed with where thru the PTEC program. However I know people who drop out the program and get jobs. I was just told by the HR people from Shell that what there are moving towards hiring people with PTEC degrees and waiving the experience. I have a PTEC degree and currently looking for a job so you know anybody hiring. Also I don't degree that you don't need a degree to get a plant job. Please whatever infomation you have plaease share.

Yes I heard something along the lines on what you mentioned as well with Shell. Unfortunately at the time I was aware of this it was for offshore platforms..(I believe in lousianna) but dont quote me on that. Actually for someone with a bit of experience *yet not needed* this could be a very lucrative position for someone who doesnt mind the 14-14 work schedule. Offshore work takes a bit to get used to..but the benefits are great..For a person single or even married that can adapt to this position can make a killing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase in League City, Texas

56 months ago

Charles Michael Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana said: I wasnt trying to sway anybody to 2-year degree I just know you need the AAS as the basic degree to get in the plants. Always go for a 4 year degree I am almost finshed with my degree in Accounting 2 semesters left.

Completely agree, I see alot of people who ask about the certifcate compared to the degree. And in my opinion I dont even know why they still offer that course..Its completely obsolete, and to my knowledge, I am not of aware of anyone aceepting it. I just noticed we all refered to the course as PTEC..actually here it is PTAC..lol.

BUT AGAIN, everyone keep their heads up..It's inevitable of turn over..last projected, the workforce of plants 80% percent were considered to be within retirement range by 2012. I have seen where it has been mentioned on systems that are manned by one control unit..Thats "iffy" at best, and would be more suitable for plants with low volatile material..such as Air-Gas etc. Hard to imagine a company relying on a under-manned CU pumping jet fuel.. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuckspooner.2@gmail.com in Sorrento, Louisiana

55 months ago

Hey 2chase are you currently employed, How long did it take you to get a job and do you have any advice on where to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase3 in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I can give a bit of suggestions, however my first job was in maintenance.long before I considered a process tech or Eng. degree. At the time I was a welder.

I think my best advice is as follows.

1. Dont be afraid to ask. if you don't someone will, this is not only a trade where you knock on doors, but where you stick your foot in a door frame where it doesnt get closed in your face.

2. Just because you send resumes, continue (WEEKLY) at least monthly follow ups..Be polite and build a repore with HR.

3 Dont just shoot for the big guys Exxon,Chevron,Crown, etc. A smaller plant can usually offer competitive wages, but the chances of management are greatly improved. I had a friend who entered the field 15 yrs ago for a small place called Valero..lol (Hear of them?) he is currently in management and this is with the BS 8/12 week certificate.

4. Diversify in search..(Stop looking just in one venue) The local paper is a great heads up on positions, make it a habit each day, local Chamber of commerse is another. Not all jobs are just online.

5. Consider a head hunter position. Great way to get your foot in the door and future full time employment. Besides it takes care of that intial experience wanted...but touching on that...Many places are forgoing the experience and back to hiring fresh grads again. CHEVRON has just offered a 500/dollar grant that students can apply for..something to watch especially when they start offering money :)

Turn over is inevitable, just hang in there.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase3 in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

This was posted May 17 this year on the San Jacinto college website.

www.sjcd.edu/node/3739

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

What about other schools that aren't in the Gulf region? I live in Colorado and there is a local college, Red Rocks Community College, that offers a 2 year degree in Energy Operations / Process Technology. Are these programs tailored to operations in their region? Can I get a job offshore or anywhere in the Gulf region or will they choose graduates from PTEC schools in that region over someone like me that went to school in Colorado?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase3 in League City, Texas

55 months ago

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado said: What about other schools that aren't in the Gulf region? I live in Colorado and there is a local college, Red Rocks Community College, that offers a 2 year degree in Energy Operations / Process Technology. Are these programs tailored to operations in their region? Can I get a job offshore or anywhere in the Gulf region or will they choose graduates from PTEC schools in that region over someone like me that went to school in Colorado?

I believe a degree in process operations is just that. If you obtained a degree in Colorado, in my opinion, it would be honored as any other degree earned in another region. Have to remember a process degree covers pharmaceutical, food, nuclear...basically any field where operations of a process is concerned...most just apply for petrochemical because of the pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Thanks for answering. So what's the difference in pay between petrochemical and other process jobs? I'm enrolled at RRCC and will be starting the program in the fall. I used to be in the IT field but I'll be making a career change after getting laid off in January. I feel this kind of work is more interesting and will better suit my personality and I will enjoy my career much more. IT just wasn't for me. I just hope I will have an opportunity to get a job in the field when I graduate. I don't see many job postings online or anywhere else for process tech jobs and the few I do see want experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Spooner in Sorrento, Louisiana

55 months ago

MileHighGuy75
I would yes you can apply for a job in the GOM because the curriculum is approved by the CAPT.
Also what I have here in the South
Oil and Gas Pays the most, and offshore production pays more than the plants.(from I know)
The jobs are out there you just have to find the companies that need operators, like SUNCOR. Ask you teachers they know about the industry in your area and do lots of research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Icorychanks@yahoo.com in League City, Texas

55 months ago

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado said: Thanks for answering. So what's the difference in pay between petrochemical and other process jobs? I'm enrolled at RRCC and will be starting the program in the fall. I used to be in the IT field but I'll be making a career change after getting laid off in January. I feel this kind of work is more interesting and will better suit my personality and I will enjoy my career much more. IT just wasn't for me. I just hope I will have an opportunity to get a job in the field when I graduate. I don't see many job postings online or anywhere else for process tech jobs and the few I do see want experience.

I believe Chuck's answer is on the money.(no pun intended) I dont know about if it's more offshore or not, but I do know, all your needs are met on a rig..Food,housing etc..And Im not talking burger and fries, cut meats,seafood etc..You dont even have to wash your own clothes, on A rig I worked for you were given FRC's which they cleaned and laundered...You really spent nothing and banked everything...

As for the pay scale its quite different between food/oil production I believe food is right at the lowest..However for oil its quite common to hit 6 figures with moderate overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Icorychanks@yahoo.com in League City, Texas said: I believe Chuck's answer is on the money.(no pun intended) I dont know about if it's more offshore or not, but I do know, all your needs are met on a rig..Food,housing etc..And Im not talking burger and fries, cut meats,seafood etc..You dont even have to wash your own clothes, on A rig I worked for you were given FRC's which they cleaned and laundered...You really spent nothing and banked everything...

As for the pay scale its quite different between food/oil production I believe food is right at the lowest..However for oil its quite common to hit 6 figures with moderate overtime.

Oh man that sounds great. Reminds me of my days in the military TDY in Kuwait and Saudi except I'd be getting better food and paid 10 times more. I'm sure all of the competition is for the rig jobs. I doubt they would take some newbee fresh out of PTEC school to work on a rig. Does anyone know what pay is at the petrochemical plants/refineries?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

corychanks@yahoo.com in League City, Texas

55 months ago

lol Shell was taking guys which were I believe in their 3 term (not even completed degree) for internship on a rig platform I believe in the Gulf (not sure of location)which I know of one being hired permantly under stipulations he finish his degree.

In actuality many people pass up the rig jobs due to family, or the idea of being off land for extended periods..so the rig jobs (from what I seen) are easier to land). Starting pay varies from company..Take Lyondell for example a friend was hired in at $28.50/hr, a year and 6 months later he was making 31 and change. But his benefits are crazy amazing..his vaction time adds up to about a month each year and his year end bonus was 7k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MileHighGuy75 in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Well that's good to hear. I thought offshore would be the hardest position to land. I worked my but off every year and the largest bonus I have ever received was $500. I wish I would have learned about PTEC after I got out of the military. I wouldn't have wasted all those years in corporate america doing work I hated. I just want work I can enjoy and get paid well and I think I found it. Glad I enrolled.

So what kind of schedule do they work on rigs? How long are they off land, is it a 14/14 kind of rotation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

operator82 in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

There is a lot of good information and bad information in here. The best thing to do is do an internship which I did. Apply everywhere and anywhere. Be willing to relocate for work. I've worked from Texas City to now Beaumont to work where I work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2chase3 in League City, Texas

55 months ago

Good advice Operator82, you can only be selective after you gain employment, For a individual who is entering the field new, you will want to apply every place you can. Degree programs have internship wrapped up in the curriculum, so thats a definite move in the right direction.

(Like I mentioned, dont go into this thinking I want to work for Exxon and Exxon only) It's funny as I went to school with a student and all she wanted to do is get on with BP. I take it because her boyfriend worked there as a contractor. All she talked was BP this and BP that..She was a true spokesperson for BP..lol who would have probabaly done well with BP public relations. However, chances are you won't end up at a Plant of your choice initially, you might work for Bayer in Baytown..lol , or a small chemical facility you never heard of.

As for relocate, thats a personal call, fortunately I live in Clearlake,so I have Texas city plants on one side and laporte plants, 225 Houston port on the other...Im staying put, just never really considered someone outside the area, but good call operator82 :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

INTERN81 in Sterling, Virginia

55 months ago

Operator 82 - You did an intersnhip? Where at? I was just invited to do an internship and I am kinda weary to take it given the economic conditions and the fact that employment is not guaranteed after the internship. I would be giving up a 50K job to take it. What is your advice given my situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Spooner in Sorrento, Louisiana

54 months ago

Does anybody know the name of a good headhunting firm for process opreators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan57 in Santa Ana, California

54 months ago

Charles Michael Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana said: I guess a lot of the Companies that I interviewed with where thru the PTEC program. However I know people who drop out the program and get jobs. I was just told by the HR people from Shell that what there are moving towards hiring people with PTEC degrees and waiving the experience. I have a PTEC degree and currently looking for a job so you know anybody hiring. Also I don't degree that you don't need a degree to get a plant job. Please whatever infomation you have plaease share.

hey charles what i would reccomend is trying to find a job with a contracctor in the refinery while going to school. i worked at the BP refinery the entire time i went to school for my PTECH degree. its hard but its worth it. because your killing two or maybe even three birds with one stone. gaining experience in the environment setting and getting your degree and showing that your motivated. Now i cant say this has worked because i havent been hired yet but i thought it was the best way to do it. I have a test with exxon on friday so im tryin to study like crazy with my math and chemical knowledge. good lukc to you though. O and the school i went to was coastline community college. it was all online classes. i also got an internship out of it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SAMee in Fountain Valley, California

52 months ago

Ryan- I just signed up for Coastline but I'm doing the 1 year program (certificate of achievement). Based on your experience, are people getting jobs with the 1 year program, or do you need to shoot for the degree? I'm 50 and making a career change and two years is a long time..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ab6491 in Humble, Texas

52 months ago

Does anyone know how the job placement is at the local community colleges that particpate in PTEC. I think the industry growth is very high but I would like to know if the big companies recruit on campus or do you have to basically sell yourself for employment? How is BRCC in Baton Rouge?

Do the major companies look to hire Veterans?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbados in Orange, Texas

52 months ago

SAMee in Fountain Valley, California said: Ryan- I just signed up for Coastline but I'm doing the 1 year program (certificate of achievement). Based on your experience, are people getting jobs with the 1 year program, or do you need to shoot for the degree? I'm 50 and making a career change and two years is a long time..

I Grad. with the 2 yr Process operations degree with honors this past year. Unless you have experience they are not going to hire you.... I have been looking for the past 8 months and NOTHING is happening, I even went up to North OKC. for an interview... Those who tell you, " GET THIS DEGREE AND GET A JOB!!!" are full of them selves.... Trust me been down that road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charles Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana

51 months ago

ab6491 in Humble, Texas said: Does anyone know how the job placement is at the local community colleges that particpate in PTEC. I think the industry growth is very high but I would like to know if the big companies recruit on campus or do you have to basically sell yourself for employment? How is BRCC in Baton Rouge?

Do the major companies look to hire Veterans?


I dont about schools placment your best bet is to just apply to every job that comes up
Most of the compaines send in a recruiter.
BRCC is pretty good,but you would really need to enroll at BRCC
HCC has a program right there in houston

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana

51 months ago

Barbados in Orange, Texas said: I Grad. with the 2 yr Process operations degree with honors this past year. Unless you have experience they are not going to hire you.... I have been looking for the past 8 months and NOTHING is happening, I even went up to North OKC. for an interview... Those who tell you, " GET THIS DEGREE AND GET A JOB!!!" are full of them selves.... Trust me been down that road.

I heard that also the HR process leaves me speechless I have sent out at least 100 resumes coast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase in League City, Texas

51 months ago

Not sure about industry growth. However many oil companies hire exclusively on a internship basis only. Meaning take Shell for example. Shell only recruits students within a year of graduation up to a year after graduation.

Basically you have a 2 year window to be hired with Shell. And this has been the way they have been hiring for the last 5 years or so. This is straight from a Recruiter from Shell. onshore and off.

I also hear BP is the same way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase in League City, Texas

51 months ago

Barbados in Orange, Texas said: I Grad. with the 2 yr Process operations degree with honors this past year. Unless you have experience they are not going to hire you.... I have been looking for the past 8 months and NOTHING is happening, I even went up to North OKC. for an interview... Those who tell you, " GET THIS DEGREE AND GET A JOB!!!" are full of them selves.... Trust me been down that road.

As with anything there is no guarantee, other than if you have no degree I guarantee you will not be hired....But agree completely,the job market in Process technology is tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana

51 months ago

2chase in League City, Texas said: As with anything there is no guarantee, other than if you have no degree I guarantee you will not be hired....But agree completely,the job market in Process technology is tough.

Hey are you working now or had any good job leads?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2chase in League City, Texas

51 months ago

You should have all the leads through your college, usually past down in memos and instructors..or if a recruiter is scheduled to visit your school.

Possibly if you are not in school, you could try to contact the job placement within your schools district. (All of them have one you just got to ask)

They really dont do the straight out hiring..again you will have a pre-employment test (Basic knowledge test) If you qualify for a position they will contact you after for a interview...its alot of hoops.

I know Exxon Baytown just had a hiring process, also Shell is offering internship (But if you dont have the degree and only a certificate you will not be applicable)

Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ab6491 in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Can anyone tell me who the Department Head is at BRCC? And also I would like to hear some opinions on this college in Colorado called RRCC. I am thinking about going there but HCC is closer to me. Not sure if that would be smart for me to go up there and study then not find a job after graduation. Please someone tell me the smart thing to do.

I guess I have to find out the job placement first of RRCC. Where do the big companies go for recruitment. The College of the Mainland is suppose to be the best but I think BRCC is good as well. Not sure about Lee College? Someone give me some guidance and tell me if I just should stay in Houston then network along the Gulf Coast. Hope to hear from you soon!

Ashland Bishop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

operator82 in Beaumont, Texas

51 months ago

I'm an Operator and I can tell you from experience get the 2 year degree. IF you want to be an Operator getting the 4 year degree is useless. I have a 4 year degree and it never got me hired. I had to get the 2 year degree plus do time as an intern. EXPERIENCE IS WHAT COUNTS. Companies are going to pick experience over someone with a 2 year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ab6491 in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

Can anyone tell me anything about HCC or BRCC? I have a chance to attend both colleges and I was told that RRCC doesn't have job placement. Right now I understand that the BabyBoomers are retiring and now is the time to get the degree. Someone give me advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Spencer P in Gonzales, Louisiana

30 months ago

operator82 in Beaumont, Texas said: I'm an Operator and I can tell you from experience get the 2 year degree. IF you want to be an Operator getting the 4 year degree is useless. I have a 4 year degree and it never got me hired. I had to get the 2 year degree plus do time as an intern . EXPERIENCE IS WHAT COUNTS. Companies are going to pick experience over someone with a 2 year degree.

Would you recommend getting on with a company and working your way up or getting your associates and an internship.... I really want to go to college but im 18 and support myself so I need to make money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Paul in Houston, Texas

30 months ago

I hate to Hurt anybody feelings..
but I have my uncle and Brother just got Hired at Lyondell and Dupont with No Degree just a High School diploma..
so its not about what you know its who you know..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Billings, Montana

30 months ago

yeah well thats more the exception than the rule jeff, plus that degree will always be with you and cant be take away like a job can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ubo in Victoria, Texas

30 months ago

Actually, out of the last class my company hired, I think a PTech degree would be an exception. There are not enough degreed applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator Trainee in Vacherie, Louisiana

28 months ago

My concern is, will they have enough jobs for all the people who are in school for Ptech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator Trainee in Vacherie, Louisiana

28 months ago

My concern is, will they have enough jobs for all the people who are in school for Ptech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator Trainee in Vacherie, Louisiana

28 months ago

Charles Spooner II in Sorrento, Louisiana said: Hey are you working now or had any good job leads?

My concern is, will they have enough jobs for all the people who are in school for Ptech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator Technician

28 months ago

No, I don't have a job yet but I have taken Shell test an pass it . I'm currently in school now for ptech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Jeff Paul in Houston, Texas said: I hate to Hurt anybody feelings..
but I have my uncle and Brother just got Hired at Lyondell and Dupont with No Degree just a High School diploma..
so its not about what you know its who you know..

This is happening less and less as refinery "culture" retires off. I've worked for ConocoPhillips and just got an offer from LyondellBasell and I didnt know ANYONE at all...again, not to say that it doesnt happen however, no more than any other industry. FYI, I have my Ptech AAS from HCC and had no previous experience prior to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Spencer P in Gonzales, Louisiana said: Would you recommend getting on with a company and working your way up or getting your associates and an internship .... I really want to go to college but im 18 and support myself so I need to make money

My advice is to "bite the bullet" now while your 18 and I promise that it will pay off BIG in the future. Go for the AAS in Process Technology and do well. Then apply to every company that you are willing to work for. After I graduated, I applied to 20-30 different companies and tested for 10-15 of them before I got my first operator job. my 2 cents...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

D. in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

Operator in Houston, Texas said: My advice is to "bite the bullet" now while your 18 and I promise that it will pay off BIG in the future. Go for the AAS in Process Technology and do well. Then apply to every company that you are willing to work for. After I graduated, I applied to 20-30 different companies and tested for 10-15 of them before I got my first operator job. my 2 cents...

What school did you attend? I'm looking to change careers and have been looking at different schools. Leaning towards HCC or COM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.