getting back into the biz

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Jackie D in Morristown, New Jersey

68 months ago

I started out in the property management business in 1987. I was hired as the assistant to the general manager of a very large planned community in North West New Jersey. Over the course of two years and subsequent to the GM being fired, I was asked by the board of trustees (a self managed community) to do the job until they hired a new GM. More than a year passed until a new manager was hired. I stayed on board for another year then was told by the new GM my position was being eliminated due to budget cuts. I found another job immediately and for the next 18 years managed condos, townhouses, commercial property/strip malls, apartment complexes, both pre-war and new luxury high rise type.
I stopped working in 2002 to give birth to my first child. I worked part time in 2004 for about 6 months for the company I last worked with for 5 years. My kids are growing and I have some free time so I would love to get back into it. I loved my job and I was very good at it. I am reluctant to apply to postions for fear that my computer skills will kabash any chance I may have. I also don't have all the designations that are required but I was in the field for so long and I know I can handle just about any senario or situation that may arise.
I was making $75,000 at my last positon, 6 years ago. It was great.

Any sugggestions or advice. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda

68 months ago

Jackie D in Morristown, New Jersey said: I started out in the property management business in 1987. I was hired as the assistant to the general manager of a very large planned community in North West New Jersey. Over the course of two years and subsequent to the GM being fired, I was asked by the board of trustees (a self managed community) to do the job until they hired a new GM. More than a year passed until a new manager was hired. I stayed on board for another year then was told by the new GM my position was being eliminated due to budget cuts. I found another job immediately and for the next 18 years managed condos, townhouses, commercial property/strip malls, apartment complexes, both pre-war and new luxury high rise type.
I stopped working in 2002 to give birth to my first child. I worked part time in 2004 for about 6 months for the company I last worked with for 5 years. My kids are growing and I have some free time so I would love to get back into it. I loved my job and I was very good at it. I am reluctant to apply to postions for fear that my computer skills will kabash any chance I may have. I also don't have all the designations that are required but I was in the field for so long and I know I can handle just about any senario or situation that may arise.
I was making $75,000 at my last positon, 6 years ago. It was great.

Any sugggestions or advice. Thanks.

Jackie
Hi,
I am looking to get into property management. My background is mainly Wall Street Trading floor/Telecom and was recently laid off. I always had an interest in propety management but never knew where to begin. Any advise? Do I need to take courses if so what courses should I take also do you need a real estate license?
Thanks
Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Linda said: Jackie
Hi,
I am looking to get into property management. My background is mainly Wall Street Trading floor/Telecom and was recently laid off. I always had an interest in propety management but never knew where to begin. Any advise? Do I need to take courses if so what courses should I take also do you need a real estate license?
Thanks
Linda

Hi Linda,

When I started in the business I had no property management experience. My first position was as an assistant to the general manager of a very large planned community. I guess you can say my education started with my first job - being thrown into the lions den so to speak. Times have changed though and many companies are looking for people with field designations. You don't always need a real estate license. It depends on who you are working for and in what capacity. To be a successful property manager you need to have great interpersonal skills and you must be able to multi-task. You need to have a very good temperment, alot of patience and good written and verbal communication skills. You will deal with tenants everyday and all types. Over the 22 years in the business I can write a book about the many different people, circumstances and problems I have solved. The courses you can take will educate you on various laws and rules and regulations you will need to know. The courses will also keep you updated on any changes that take place in the industry. My advice to you would be to conduct a search on line for "property management courses" This would be a start for you. If you get a few courses under your belt you can then start looking for a job. You will also need computer skills which are usually noted in the job description. The job market is bad right now but in this particular industry it appears there are still many jobs to be had. Reason being is that there are always going to be rentals and the need for someone to manage them. Good luck, Linda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda

68 months ago

Jackie,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I will definitely take your adivse. I have been working on Wall Street for many years in the Telecom industry mainly trading floors. I definitely have the background dealing with customers since I worked with brokers all day and they can be difficult along with many vendors I guess at times it was a customer service position. I have very good computer skills and have been working for over 20 yers plus. Can't believe at this stage that I am trying to go into a new career. Wall Street wears you down and with everything happening cannot afford to be laid off again. I thougt this may be a good career for me. I have been looking up project management courses but not sure which ones to take.

Good luck in your search and again thank you for getting back to me so quickly. If you know of any courses that I need to start with I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

68 months ago

You should get a CPM (CERTIFIED PROPERTY MANAGER) first. Do a search for "CPM COURSES" and you should get several good websites to help you.

I'm happy to help you. Sound like you're a victim of the times. I wish you all the luck in the world and if you need any further help or guidance let me know.

Good luck.

Linda

68 months ago

Ok, did you find work as of yet? I will keep you posted will begin my search.

Thanks so much
Linda

68 months ago

No I haven't found anything yet. I am in such a personal spot because I still have my 3 year old at home with me. She attends pre-school only 2 half days now. We really can't afford any more than that even though I am confident she would love to go more than that. I also have to pick my son up (he's in first grade in Morristown) at 2:15. He starts at 7:45 which is ideal for me if I could get my daughter in school for a few more days. I am very torn about it. Lately I have really been feeling the itch to get back to work for various reasons, the big one being more income. It would ideal if I could land a part-time job locally so I could have the best of both worlds. I guess all in due time it will happen. Let me know how you do and don't hesitate to ask for help. I really wish you all the best.

68 months ago

No I haven't found anything yet. Something part time would be perfect for me because I have 2 young children to think about. I hoping something comes up so I have the best of both worlds.

Please let me know how you are doing. All the best.

Linda

68 months ago

looking up CPM but I will tell you not easy finding a course especially in New Jersey. I will continue looking. Would really like to take on online course that is also difficult to find.
My email is hallmansammy@aol.com is you want to reply instead of going thru indeed.

Thanks

Linda

68 months ago

Thanks for your email address. Mine is - scout5790@verizon.net. I'll do a search for you and see what I can find.

Michael in Little Falls, New Jersey

57 months ago

I am looking into the property management field as well. It is very difficult to find a position that does not require 5-10 years experience. My question is, do you need a real estate lisence to be a property manager. I know the CPM designation is important but I also thought you had to have a certain amount of hours to obtain it.

Leah in Middleton, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Jackie D in Morristown, New Jersey said: No I haven't found anything yet. I am in such a personal spot because I still have my 3 year old at home with me. She attends pre-school only 2 half days now. We really can't afford any more than that even though I am confident she would love to go more than that. I also have to pick my son up (he's in first grade in Morristown) at 2:15. He starts at 7:45 which is ideal for me if I could get my daughter in school for a few more days. I am very torn about it. Lately I have really been feeling the itch to get back to work for various reasons, the big one being more income. It would ideal if I could land a part-time job locally so I could have the best of both worlds. I guess all in due time it will happen. Let me know how you do and don't hesitate to ask for help. I really wish you all the best.

Jackie,

I know this post is old.. but.hopefully you still will be notifies and can email at >>starrfillednights2007@yahoo.com
I am 45 and need a good paying job. I am nervous and scared ..but have been approved .. through a program for 3 grand to take a class on their approval list . So.. I chose property management. It will take me a year to a year and a half at a county college to complete. Originally.. I wanted to be an Esthetician to work in a day spa.However.. I read countless blogs of people not being able to find any jobs after school and then had to repay ten grand.. that I decided to give this a go. However I am not at all good with administrative or computer programs .. I am in the dark. The program I am speaking about does not for some strange reason include computer applications.. software I will use and need to learn.. or any administrative functions which I find horrible. I would have to take some non credit classes once threw with the program and our county college only offers the basics .. as in familiarity with keys .. and function..nothing at all related.

Leah in Middleton, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Jackie.. I feel like I am going to be screwed .. big time.. not being computer savy at all.. and I don't want to make more into this area then need be. I believe in keeping things as simple and basic as possible. Even a rent receipt carbon copy book would do..lol I am wondering now.. if I will like or hate this.. and its a long time for the program. The instructor is a Real Estate Attorney who promised me work ..said its all salary..that she has more jobs coming in then student to fill them.. and that I would start at 30.. and I read today 40 is even not out of the question. The money and salary is there.. but I wanted to do something more meaningful..like teaching. My heart has to be into it.. However.. I can't seem to find any jobs that would support my life .. rent etc.. while going back to College.. which is really what I want to do.. Please give me a shout out. The Esthetician program is 5 months.. but 10 grand that won't allow that. I thought of trying to become a LPN. But.. I would have to first take a CNA course for 2 months.. and then do that.. which would take 2 years total.. but would allow me to then go to College. But.. I am not interested in Medical to be honest.. I am lost and upset. Not too many adults .. are able to go to College and work..full time also.

Please.. help.. Leah

CAMmgr in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

47 months ago

Leah
Different states require different licenses, certifications and some require nothing, basic office 2007 or 2010 is all you really need I have been an active PM for over 3 decades, I have a cam license for my state and I have earned over 80K, based on the state your in average salaries start at 30-35 to over 150K per year with experience.
This industry is not for everyone, it is a thankless job, you have to thrive on self gratification, but if you can do that than it canbe rewarding both on a self level as well as in the bank.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.