Radiation Therapy jobs in florida

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

mialuv in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

64 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in florida for radiation therapist? I am in south Florida and I am about to submit my application for the program. Radiation therapy is my first choice but if the jobs are tight I will do sonography and then radiation therapy after.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bbb in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

very bad job market all over the us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rad1990 in Largo, Florida

56 months ago

mialuv in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in florida for radiation therapist? I am in south Florida and I am about to submit my application for the program. Radiation therapy is my first choice but if the jobs are tight I will do sonography and then radiation therapy after.

I graduated almnost 6 months ago and still can not find my first job as a Licensed Radiation Therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NO JOBS! in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

Is there any way to get the word out to students (on a scale they will listen and finally dispell that the healing arts programs are saturated (for years) with too many students and there are no jobs. NO JOBS! I called the goverment agency THAT IS TELLING EVVERYONE THERE ID GROWTH: to plead to stop telling people their is growth in the field and they say their source for growth is "from the ARRT." Yep, the same people that we pay yearly to, is trying thier best to get as much money from as many people as possible. It has to stop, too many schools, no jobs, why will no one tell the truth? There is no growth, and if you argue their is some (growth) the number of (arrt people) those in the field are enough even if the need would suddenly grow 1000 percent. We are covered untill 2025. Apply then. Why are us in ARRT not telling the truth. Do we not care? How is keep telling prople there are jobs!!!! Money? Shame, did your parents not teach you to tell the truth? Is that the probem your parents? PLEASE PLEASE; THERE ARE NO JOBS NOW, IN 2 YEARS OR IN 4 YEARS... 10 years, get it.
Perhaps if the schools Promised THAT THE STUDENTS WOULD get a job in their field or the school would have to repay the student all their money, this is the only way to reduce the number to meet zero demand that is in the pipe lines. Tell the truth. Amen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suze in Atlanta, Georgia

56 months ago

NO JOBS! in Chicago, Illinois said: Is there any way to get the word out to students (on a scale they will listen and finally dispell that the healing arts programs are saturated (for years) with too many students and there are no jobs. NO JOBS! I called the goverment agency THAT IS TELLING EVVERYONE THERE ID GROWTH: to plead to stop telling people their is growth in the field and they say their source for growth is "from the ARRT." Yep, the same people that we pay yearly to, is trying thier best to get as much money from as many people as possible. It has to stop, too many schools, no jobs, why will no one tell the truth? There is no growth, and if you argue their is some (growth) the number of (arrt people) those in the field are enough even if the need would suddenly grow 1000 percent. We are covered untill 2025. Apply then. Why are us in ARRT not telling the truth. Do we not care? How is keep telling prople there are jobs!!!! Money? Shame, did your parents not teach you to tell the truth? Is that the probem your parents? PLEASE PLEASE; THERE ARE NO JOBS NOW, IN 2 YEARS OR IN 4 YEARS... 10 years, get it.
Perhaps if the schools Promised THAT THE STUDENTS WOULD get a job in their field or the school would have to repay the student all their money, this is the only way to reduce the number to meet zero demand that is in the pipe lines. Tell the truth. Amen.

YOu seem frustrated. I agree with you 110% . I graduated almost two years ago. I got in the program for the right reasons but also, thinking that there would be enough jobs . Unfortunately that is not the case. There shouldn't be no more students not atleast the once with the profession are placed. This is greed . Schools trying to take money from students nothing more. Very sad. Hope something comes to us that are seeking employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rad in Orlando, Florida

56 months ago

NO JOBS! in Chicago, Illinois said: Is there any way to get the word out to students (on a scale they will listen and finally dispell that the healing arts programs are saturated (for years) with too many students and there are no jobs. NO JOBS! I called the goverment agency THAT IS TELLING EVVERYONE THERE ID GROWTH: to plead to stop telling people their is growth in the field and they say their source for growth is "from the ARRT." Yep, the same people that we pay yearly to, is trying thier best to get as much money from as many people as possible. It has to stop, too many schools, no jobs, why will no one tell the truth? There is no growth, and if you argue their is some (growth) the number of (arrt people) those in the field are enough even if the need would suddenly grow 1000 percent. We are covered untill 2025. Apply then. Why are us in ARRT not telling the truth. Do we not care? How is keep telling prople there are jobs!!!! Money? Shame, did your parents not teach you to tell the truth? Is that the probem your parents? PLEASE PLEASE; THERE ARE NO JOBS NOW, IN 2 YEARS OR IN 4 YEARS... 10 years, get it.

you are not kidding. there are no jobs! tell the schools to quit graduating 30 students at a time and overflowing the market. I mean really people do your research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kriser_99 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

54 months ago

After working on pre-professional requirements for three years, I recently started a Radiation Therapy program. I have to admit - I'm SCARED! Prior to beginning the program, I used the Occupational Outlook Handbook that is prepared by the U.S. government as a source for evaluating job growth, wages, etc. I agree, now that I am looking beyond school, that the government information I put so much "faith" in was not a true representation of what I am now learning about job prospects! I did go to a couple different radiation related professional websites when making my decision to enter this field, however what I looked at were Salary Surveys. I am not sure if the information was there, but I did not see or think of looking for anything regarding the job market. Perhaps an article or survey, regarding the current state of the job market for Radiation Therapists would be good to put on the professional association websites. An article such as that, if made very obvious to people visiting the site, might deter people who are considering radiation therapy for a career and slow down the excess of new graduates. So I am now asking myself, do I stay in this program or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Lake Worth, Florida

54 months ago

mialuv in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in florida for radiation therapist? I am in south Florida and I am about to submit my application for the program. Radiation therapy is my first choice but if the jobs are tight I will do sonography and then radiation therapy after.

THERE ARE NOOOO JOBS IN SO. Florida for radiation therapist. AND I wish I would have known this prior to wasting my time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ken in so fl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

54 months ago

Larry in Lake Worth, Florida said: THERE ARE NOOOO JOBS IN SO. Florida for radiation therapist. AND I wish I would have known this prior to wasting my time and money.

larry what school do you graduate from and what did they tell you about job placement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Is there anyone who had no trouble finding a position as a rad therapist or believes there are plenty of positions available?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam

54 months ago

ken in so fl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Is there anyone who had no trouble finding a position as a rad therapist or believes there are plenty of positions available?

The market goes up and dowm. I think last time market was good was 2004. I'm a CMD and RTT in NY and the market is very tight. Spoke w/ some instructors last week and they predict market will stay like this for another 2 years. Are you an RTT?

54 months ago

I am not currently in the field
Was considering getting into it, however does not appear to have much emplyment opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christain Reese in Florida

54 months ago

Job market is bad!. After becoming a medical radiographer which was mandatory in FL, in order to even apply to radiation therapy program. In 1995 I was forced to withdraw from Rad Therapy Program due to no future jobs. Too many unemployed therapist. There are far too many therapist and now you cannot even get a job because too many medical radiographers who are Xray, CT and MRI certified have now become Radiation Therapist and are working P/T in Xray, CT or MRI so they can still work only jobs available which are P/T ..ZERO Radiation Therapy jobs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christain Reese in Florida

54 months ago

Hospitals are Laying people off at an unbelievable rate and then only hiring P/T. Only field worth getting into is Nursing. Nursing is only 2years like a few fields in Health care but unlike other fields you need 70 nurses vs. 12 lab techs or 2 xray techs per facility-This means that you can be a single parent and still always have a job in nursing where there is no real demand on you being on call or not being able to call out sick, take vacations etc.. In radiology or lab, you are lucky if you get once a year vacay and you dare not call out sick or with child out sick....Nursing has become the easy road

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I guess nursing is the way to go even without experience and at least 2 years of study.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RT(T) in Duluth, Georgia

51 months ago

You guys cannot keep telling people that there is no possible way they can get a job. If you go into this field and you are really good at what you do and already have a medical background you can find a job. You WILL probably have to more but there are new cancer centers opening everyday. You people just don't want any new therapist graduating and taking away the possiblilty of you finding a job. If they are better than you and determined they will not sit for years with no job. I still have 3 weeks of school and I already have a job lined up to start in a month. So if you are good at what you do and can prove it you CAN and will get a job. Stop trying to get people to pick a new field. Shame on all of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

student in south florida in West Palm Beach, Florida

51 months ago

there are no jobs available in radiation therapy. your better off in sonography. Im just getting ready to graduate rad therapy and the class will be lucky to all find jobs.

kriser_99 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

51 months ago

student in south florida in West Palm Beach, Florida said: there are no jobs available in radiation therapy. your better off in sonography. Im just getting ready to graduate rad therapy and the class will be lucky to all find jobs.

When you say that you and your fellow classmates will be lucky to find jobs, do you mean in Florida only ... or anywhere within the US?

Thank you (and I do hope for you all the best),

Signed,
A newer, and concerned RTH student...

Lana in Lake Worth, Florida

51 months ago

RT(T) in Duluth, Georgia said: You guys cannot keep telling people that there is no possible way they can get a job. If you go into this field and you are really good at what you do and already have a medical background you can find a job. You WILL probably have to more but there are new cancer centers opening everyday. You people just don't want any new therapist graduating and taking away the possiblilty of you finding a job. If they are better than you and determined they will not sit for years with no job. I still have 3 weeks of school and I already have a job lined up to start in a month. So if you are good at what you do and can prove it you CAN and will get a job. Stop trying to get people to pick a new field. Shame on all of you.

You ARE full of crap!! There are NOOOO JOBS for Rt(t)!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

50 months ago

RT(T) in Duluth, Georgia said: You guys cannot keep telling people that there is no possible way they can get a job. If you go into this field and you are really good at what you do and already have a medical background you can find a job. You WILL probably have to more but there are new cancer centers opening everyday. You people just don't want any new therapist graduating and taking away the possiblilty of you finding a job. If they are better than you and determined they will not sit for years with no job. I still have 3 weeks of school and I already have a job lined up to start in a month. So if you are good at what you do and can prove it you CAN and will get a job. Stop trying to get people to pick a new field. Shame on all of you.

o' THANK goodness i kept reading on down to find ONE positive comment, i have a medical background of working in PT as a reahab. aide tech. but realized in my career change that i wanted to help people in a different setting and oncology is the route that i want to work in. i called two schools in my state and they are sayin that the Rad Therapists are having to work as Techs, im so confused on this, BUT i know my goal is to be in a cancer facility. i believe that this field will level out as with any field. too many nurses in some areas so i dont see what the big hoopla is. cancer is a curse that will never be gone unless research finds the magic pill. but till then we need to still push forward. anyhow. sorry about the long comment. but can ya explain to me what the difference is sinceyou are in the program. also can i go to school anywhere and be able to work in Tenn, how does that work. thanks so much

T_PSL in PORT SAINT LUCIE, Florida

50 months ago

From reading these posts, I think the problem isn't the job market but the people in it. Most of these posts were unintelligible and FILLED with grammatical and punctuation errors! How do you expect to get a job when you can't even form a correct sentence and express yourself correctly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kriser_99 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

50 months ago

T_PSL in PORT SAINT LUCIE, Florida said: From reading these posts, I think the problem isn't the job market but the people in it. Most of these posts were unintelligible and FILLED with grammatical and punctuation errors! How do you expect to get a job when you can't even form a correct sentence and express yourself correctly?

Hmmm....I wonder if I am one of those you are referencing... regardless, I do agree with you in the sense that a persons ability to communicate in writing is somewhat indicative of their overall intelligence. On the other hand, it appears this subject matter has some emotions stirred and may be causing fast and fervant writing by other posters. One point that may be of value to all posting here though, is that if you are on a website that posts job openings, your potential future employers are here also. Ie: be mindful of what you say and how you say it!

History tends to repeat itself and the financial world cycles - maybe an upswing in RTH positions is just around the corner!

Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

OFB in West Lebanon, New Hampshire

50 months ago

Completely agree...I switch from Medical Laboratory Science to Radiation Therapy with the promise that I'd have a job before I graduated....I've been looking for a job since January 2010 -- I've applied to 130 positions across the entire United States, full-time and part-time, with absolutely no luck. I may be in better shape if I hadn't been fed false promises. I'm feeling cheated and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kriser_99 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

50 months ago

I can understand how wanting a job and not finding one would be frustrating, but are you serious or possibly exagerating a bit when you say you applied to 130 positions? If so, what type of responses did you receive from those facilities? Ie: were you even invited for an interview, told that you weren't experienced enough, etc?

Also, I'd be interested to know how/where you found 130 Radiation Therapy positions to apply for within 6 months time. There doesn't appear to be that many new/different ones on Indeed.com.

Finally, had you already obtained your certification prior to applying to those jobs?

I'm just seeking information. As a student in my second semester will loans piling up, I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I should cut my losses now or keep moving toward a degree and hope for the best!

Thank you!

OFB in West Lebanon, New Hampshire

50 months ago

kriser_99 in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: are you serious or possibly exagerating a bit when you say you applied to 130 positions? If so, what type of responses did you receive from those facilities? Ie: were you even invited for an interview, told that you weren't experienced enough, etc?
Also, I'd be interested to know how/where you found 130 Radiation Therapy positions to apply for within 6 months time. There doesn't appear to be that many new/different ones on Indeed.com.
Finally, had you already obtained your certification prior to applying to those jobs?

I am completely serious, no exaggeration, 130 jobs in 6 months. I am certified with the ARRT, although I wasn't for about 60-70 of the jobs I applied to. The responses I've been getting have been "we appreciate your interest in applying to our facility, however, we have chosen another candidate to fill the vacancy". And no, I wasn't even interviewed...I know it isn't my resume or cover letter; I've had those looked at by qualified professionals. It is VERY hard to find jobs that are full-time for new graduates, I have to admit a lot of the jobs I've applied for require a years worth of experience...sometimes the positions specify as a therapist, sometimes they don't. I have also applied to part-time and per diem jobs, hoping that if I get one of these, I can pick up a second job. My advice for you is keep on track with Radiation Therapy if you love it. I believe the job market is so difficult right now because of several factors...part-time therapists are becoming full-time therapist, or they are even coming out of retirement due to job difficulties with other family members. A lot of hospitals have jobs available, but they have to freeze the positions for right now. If you can, try to get a job in state, or even at a hospital where you do your internship. It is your best bet, and you'll have more luck. I am a very determined person; perseverance is what I'm counting on!

lead therapist for 5 years in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

lead

I have been a lead Radiation therapist in south Florida for five years and can confirm with all of the other comments on this forum NO JOBS EXIST in south Florida. Maybe in Georgia the job market is different. However, I currently know therapist with more than five years experience who can not find work in Palm beach, Broward, or Miami Dade county. Schools are just taking students money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Radiation_therapist_grad in Jupiter, Florida

36 months ago

BAD JOB MARKET.. Just graduated from program and cannot find a job anywhere. SORRY:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario

36 months ago

Same situation in Ontario, Canada. Most grads this year cannot even find a job in the province so far and many are going abroad or out of the province or attending grad school while the other half remains unemployed.

The only difference is that in order to become a rad therapist here, you pretty much need to have a BSc first in order to apply and you have to have an A- overall to be competitive and you need to ace the multiple mini interviews. We are either 24 or 26 when we graduate and we remain jobless after 6-8 years of university education. This is just sad.

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario

36 months ago

kriser_99 in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I can understand how wanting a job and not finding one would be frustrating, but are you serious or possibly exagerating a bit when you say you applied to 130 positions? If so, what type of responses did you receive from those facilities? Ie: were you even invited for an interview, told that you weren't experienced enough, etc?

I'm just seeking information. As a student in my second semester will loans piling up, I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I should cut my losses now or keep moving toward a degree and hope for the best!

Thank you!

I don't think she/he's exaggerating because I went through the same thing. If you have a resume & cover letter in hand, it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to edit them according to one job ad & apply. You can pretty much hand in at least 5 applications in one day. For 20 days that's a total of 100. You can find many job postings on indeed but I guess there're just way too many applicants. I remember just a few month back when I first started applying to American jobs, I went through at least 40 or 50 positions in a month and I didn't hear a word for most of them. Should've just went for something else, lab science, nursing, pharmacy, or PT/OT.

sunnyRT in Florida

35 months ago

Yes, I agree....there are NO jobs, compared to the number of students being cranked out, especially by "doc in the box" schools like Argosy. I'm lucky that I was able to get a job before I graduated at one of my clinical internship spots, but it was simply ALL TIMING. Mostly I see that therapists stay at their jobs for YEARS, because it's simply NOT EASY to find a job anywhere else. I graduated with 15 other students and I think there are only 5 of us that got jobs....almost 2 years later. So, it has nothing to do with people not wanting new graduates. If I had to do over again, I probably wouldn't do it either, just because I'm stuck where I'm at until I could find a job and then would have to move my whole family based upon what state I could find a job in, to move to. It's just not easy at all to find a job. I'd like to see the high numbers of new graduates every year for the handful of new jobs created.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

radiationtherapystudentOU in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

32 months ago

There are plenty of jobs here, however they are very competetive. With other professions, such as nursing, entry level is accepted but it is hard to find entry level for radiation therapist. I am working toward a B.S. and hopefully will have better luck, however I was told that a BS is better than an AAS for Radiation Therapy. I guess only time will tell!

Obie in East Providence, Rhode Island

28 months ago

To find a job as a radiation therapist is almost impossible, in Florida.
My son has been a therapist for nearly 5 years and now he is having no luck in finding a job.

wiley in Candler, North Carolina

26 months ago

there is one opening for RT in my hospital currently. Must graduate from JRCERT, be ARRT within one year, and 6 mos experience. There is also 76 openings for RN with very similar payscale.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.