Radiation Therapy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 76)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Sunflora in Orange Park, Florida

73 months ago

I'm a rad tech and am interested in switching to therapy (via 12 month program). I was wondering if therapy keeps you on your feet as much as diagnostic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Pensacola, Florida

73 months ago

Rad therapy definitely has you on your feet more than x-ray. I've been doing therapy for 15 years, and while we don't have to go in and out of the room as much as we used to, you definitely are on your feet a lot. BUT, saying this, I wouldn't go back to working in x-ray for anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sunflora in Orange Park, Florida

73 months ago

Thanks Angel for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Covington, Georgia

73 months ago

Angel in Pensacola, Florida said: Rad therapy definitely has you on your feet more than x-ray. I've been doing therapy for 15 years, and while we don't have to go in and out of the room as much as we used to, you definitely are on your feet a lot. BUT, saying this, I wouldn't go back to working in x-ray for anything.

I been waiting to find someone on the forum that's been in the field for years. I am an LPN waiting to enter an assoc. degree program for radiation therapy in Georgia. I'm hearing from my advisor that the outlook for this career is not as promising due to the amount of students graduating from current programs. Are you experiencing the same in Florida? Should I be worried about job placement? Also, do you know how much a new grad is expected to make coming out of school? What is a typical day like for a radiation therapist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cayce in Bowling Green, Kentucky

72 months ago

Sharon in Covington, Georgia said: I been waiting to find someone on the forum that's been in the field for years. I am an LPN waiting to enter an assoc. degree program for radiation therapy in Georgia. I'm hearing from my advisor that the outlook for this career is not as promising due to the amount of students graduating from current programs. Are you experiencing the same in Florida? Should I be worried about job placement? Also, do you know how much a new grad is expected to make coming out of school? What is a typical day like for a radiation therapist?

HI, I have been a therapist for 10 years. Your advisor is correct about the job market being bad. It wil not recover for probably 5-7 years so think long about your decision. It is a great career but you are on your feet AT LEAST 30 min of every hour and you do alot of bending, lifting, pushing, pulling and all other manner of movements you can imagine. It is both and extremely tasking job mentally and physically. Some may argue that fact but those are the ones the rest of us don't like working with because we carry the load. It takes a certain type person to be a well rounded radiation therapist and trust me I work with several who do not fall into that category. My advice to you would be do lots of soul searching and spend and least 1 week 40 hours in a department and I mean taking every step that the therapist takes so that you fully realize what our day is like. Really your only good job option other than luck would be to RELOCATE if you are willing to do so you might find a job right out of school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Covington, Georgia

72 months ago

Cayce in Bowling Green, Kentucky said: HI, I have been a therapist for 10 years. Your advisor is correct about the job market being bad. It wil not recover for probably 5-7 years so think long about your decision. It is a great career but you are on your feet AT LEAST 30 min of every hour and you do alot of bending, lifting, pushing, pulling and all other manner of movements you can imagine. It is both and extremely tasking job mentally and physically. Some may argue that fact but those are the ones the rest of us don't like working with because we carry the load. It takes a certain type person to be a well rounded radiation therapist and trust me I work with several who do not fall into that category. My advice to you would be do lots of soul searching and spend and least 1 week 40 hours in a department and I mean taking every step that the therapist takes so that you fully realize what our day is like. Really your only good job option other than luck would be to RELOCATE if you are willing to do so you might find a job right out of school.

Thank you so much for the information. My friend (another nurse) and I are trying to make a decision soon. We're very nervous about leaving the field of nursing so we're doing our research. The descriptions you've given however sound alot like the stresses we already go through so you've been very helpful. I think we'll take your advice and see if we could arrange a day with a working therapist and see what it's like. Thanks for your honesty.

Cayce in Bowling Green, Kentucky

72 months ago

You are welcome, I appreciate you taking what I have to say to heart. I don't want to sound negative because I love what I do. I just think so many people do it because they have heard the money is good or no weekends or something that makes them think it's a gravy train job and it anything but that. By the way my husband is from south GA and I have checked the market there often and it seems to be like it is here, very slow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray Townsend in Dahlonega, Georgia

71 months ago

What is the difference between Radiation therapist and a Radiation therapist-SF-1.0FTE. It does not bring any information on it when I google it. However, there is a significant amount of difference of annual salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SEC in Morehead City, North Carolina

71 months ago

Sharon in Covington, Georgia said: I been waiting to find someone on the forum that's been in the field for years. I am an LPN waiting to enter an assoc. degree program for radiation therapy in Georgia. I'm hearing from my advisor that the outlook for this career is not as promising due to the amount of students graduating from current programs. Are you experiencing the same in Florida? Should I be worried about job placement? Also, do you know how much a new grad is expected to make coming out of school? What is a typical day like for a radiation therapist?

This is very true in NC!!!! There are too many graduates and not enough jobs! :-( It's a great a field to work in... it's just finding the job that's the problem. I graduated in July and can't find a job in NC.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William in Roanoke, Virginia

71 months ago

SEC in Morehead City, North Carolina said: This is very true in NC!!!! There are too many graduates and not enough jobs! :-( It's a great a field to work in... it's just finding the job that's the problem. I graduated in July and can't find a job in NC.
Good luck!

I agree, I am about to grad after 15 months of hard work and yes there are jobs but you must go to them. It's easier to get a job with someone you went to clinical with because they know you. But, frankly, if I'd known it would be this difficult to get a job I probably would've stayed in xray.

ca in Long Beach, California

71 months ago

hi I am a current high school grad and I wanted to enter the feild of radiation therapy. I wanted to know is this a good feild to go into i plan on going to school in georgia. I also wanted to know how much schooling it takes and where would I go to get it.

71 months ago

You can do a one year program after you go to school for radiography (x-ray) or a 2 year program where you do just radiation therapy. I think the experience you get with the x-ray program first is better in the end. There are community colleges you can go to and some 4 year colleges. They are schools all around... many different states. It's a great field... there a few jobs in GA, but by the time you graduate you may have to relocate in order to find a job.
I hope this helps... good luck with whatever you decide to do!

71 months ago

lol wow... I just read my reply... you wouldnt even know I went to college with that grammer! :-P

Candice in Snellville, Georgia

70 months ago

I am very disappointed in the job market for radiation therapy in Georgia. I have a family, so it is impossible for me to just move someplace where a job may be available. I graduated from therapy in September of this year and don't have a sign of getting a job anytime soon. It's very depressing. I am also certified in Radiologic Technology, but I have been having a hard time getting a job in that field because of no experience. I'm not sure where to turn at this point. I made straight A's all the way through both programs and worked very hard. Oh, well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SEC in Wilmington, North Carolina

70 months ago

I really hate that for you. I'm in the same boat... not to mention that I don't really like working in x-ray as much as therapy. You live close to my family. They live in Grayson. I hope things turn around for you sooon.
Hang in there... I'm sure you feel the same way I do... the job is worth the wait!

sherie in Wesley Chapel, Florida

70 months ago

Angel in Pensacola, Florida said: Rad therapy definitely has you on your feet more than x-ray. I've been doing therapy for 15 years, and while we don't have to go in and out of the room as much as we used to, you definitely are on your feet a lot. BUT, saying this, I wouldn't go back to working in x-ray for anything.

Angel, which facility do you work for in Pensacola?

simone in Wilson, North Carolina

70 months ago

anyone know salary difference between ultrasound tech and radiation therapist? ct/mri?

scott in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

simone in Wilson, North Carolina said: anyone know salary difference between ultrasound tech and radiation therapist? ct/mri?[/QUOTE
In texas, the average hourly earnings for a rad tech is 20/hr without experience. However, radiation therapist earn quite more than that; which runs between 29/hr and 35/hr without experience. Having said that,almost all job postings in dallas texas recommend a bachelors in radiation therapy. I am also contemplating my faith in this field and pharmacy. I don't know whether it is a great field or not. I just have to ignore some misconception and focus on either one. The job prospect for pharmacy looks good, but hmmmm is the word(lengthy-minimum of six years)good earnings. Radiation therapy? looks like something I can do within five years and get my Bachelors; meaning it is doable. As a matter of fact www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/home.../education/radiationtherapy/index.html and visit this site and see what they got.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

simone in Wilson, North Carolina said: anyone know salary difference between ultrasound tech and radiation therapist? ct/mri?[/QUOTE
In texas, the average hourly earnings for a rad tech is 20/hr without experience. However, radiation therapist earn quite more than that; which runs between 29/hr and 35/hr without experience. Having said that,almost all job postings in dallas texas recommend a bachelors in radiation therapy. I am also contemplating my faith in this field and pharmacy. I don't know whether it is a great field or not. I just have to ignore some misconception and focus on either one. The job prospect for pharmacy looks good, but hmmmm is the word(lengthy-minimum of six years)good earnings. Radiation therapy? looks like something I can do within five years and get my Bachelors; meaning it is doable. As a matter of fact www.utsouthwestern.edu and visit this site and see what they got.

Tiffoni in Medina, Ohio

70 months ago

I am a rad tech and am looking to transfer to radiation therapy. What schooling should I be looking at? How do I get started? Any answers would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in York, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I just finished shadowing at York Cancer center. I would tell anyone who thinks that this field is easy, to shadow for at least 1 day. Many people flock to this job because of the salary. But they don't really know how an average day as a radiation therapist is.

Andrew SWVA in Ararat, Virginia

68 months ago

The market is horrible right now. Like you all have stated over and over. I had a great job in Florida and left back in October to be closer to family and fiance in Virginia. I mean the move was going to be inevitable, but I wish I would have waited. I have been job hunting since the first of November, and nothing! As for anyone who wants to do it and go through the program, 21st Century Oncology has a great program that lasts only 12 months. Good pass rate. Tell them Andrew sent ya if you go there. Also, Virginia Western in Roanoke is a great program. The director there was the one I had and she is great. Anyways good luck to all and their decisions and to those on the job hunt!

Lloyd in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Hi, is the market fod rad therapist horrible in new york as well? I'm thinking about entering that program next september. Any insight would be helpful.

elise giarimoustas in Naples, Florida

58 months ago

I highly recommend my physician but not the facility or staff. The CT scan man was rude and most of the other staff were callous and thoughtless of distraught patients. I was not offered an explanation or tour for the radiation therapy room which was very frightening. I ended up with chronic panic attacks and am having cognitive behavioral therapy.

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

elise giarimoustas in Naples, Florida said: I highly recommend my physician but not the facility or staff. The CT scan man was rude and most of the other staff were callous and thoughtless of distraught patients. I was not offered an explanation or tour for the radiation therapy room which was very frightening. I ended up with chronic panic attacks and am having cognitive behavioral therapy.

I'm so sorry that your experience was so terrifying. Unfortunately, you got some therapists who forgot what it means to be a good therapist. I hope that all works out for you in the future!

Suze in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

I graduated from a radiation therapy program a year ago.I have been searching for a job but can't find any jobs.It seems like no hospital or free standing clinic is willing to hire someone without experience. I am stuck paying for student loan with no job perspective.If anyone knows any hosp or clinic thats hiring new grads pls pls let me know. Thanks

57 months ago

Suze in Atlanta, Georgia said: I graduated from a radiation therapy program a year ago.I have been searching for a job but can't find any jobs.It seems like no hospital or free standing clinic is willing to hire someone without experience. I am stuck paying for student loan with no job perspective.If anyone knows any hosp or clinic thats hiring new grads pls pls let me know. Thanks

I've been looking since August of this year with no prospects. I'm to the point that if something doesn't break soon, I'm going to have someone look at my resume & cover letter so see how they can be re-worked to make myself stand out more. If you haven't tried that, maybe that would be a good starting place. Other than that, you just have to keep applying everywhere, even if they say they want experience, apply anyway. All they can do is say "no". I have a couple of classmates that got jobs that way. Remain persistent and it will happen. Good luck to you!

Sherie Keen in gulf breeze, Florida

57 months ago

I was a radiographer for about 20 years then went back to school for therapy about 4 years ago. I have personal reasons (family) for needing to stay in pensacola area. the Job market here is extremely difficult for both xray and therapy... I love therapy. I love and miss my patients. and I am activly looking for either full time or prn/ part time in therapy in the area. I also would be willing to work in a full time xray postion but most postions are prn if there are any.. the field of radiology has become saturated with techs and therapist.. there are more of us out there than there are jobs. With that said I would like to clarify that there are other areas of the coutry where there is more of a demand.. California is one .. I worked out there in Therapy for 2 years and loved it.. I was treated professionally we were a family and we appreciated each other and what each of us brought ot the table.. I left to move back to fla after a serious personal illness and for other family issues...I am searching for the right postion and for my "new working family" it is difficult.. I am working part time xray at the time and love the job but I need a full time with benefits... I know eventually something will present itself for me that will be the right position... but for you guys who can relocate there are places hiring.. you might give that a try.. I had a great experience in cali and was able to obtain some great technical experience. Try to be open to other areas and hopefully the market will turn around for us again and our field will open up again and we again can be selective about work enviorments and choices. Good luck to you all I hope one day to maybe work beside some of you and WE can be family... smiles
sherie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elly in Bronx, New York

57 months ago

Hey I was wondering if graduating from a cancer hospital center program in radiation therapy would help in terms of finding a job. For example if you graduated grom the Memorial Sloan Cancer ctr's 2 year program (notorious for cancer treatment in NYC) would that help?????? Any Advice is appreciated. I am trying to decipher b/w a hospital rad tech program vs. rad therapy program
Your thoughts????

allyse in Raleigh, North Carolina

56 months ago

HELLO! i am about to become a college graduate from uncg and after 4 long years of work of obtaining my undergraduate degree in public health, i really want to pursue radiation therapy. with that being said, i have been wondering if i would be able to obtain a bachelor's degree in radiation therapy faster? or will i end up back in school for another 4 yrs.? also, would anyone happen to know of any measures of finding a place to shadow an experienced therapist? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INFORMATION THAT IS GIVEN.

56 months ago

Will in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: hi i just have been accepted into a radiation therapy program starting fall 2010 here in philly, and im starting to panic! is the radiation therapy program hard? is there alot of math in the program? im confident in all other subjects but the math frightens me....do i need to be good in math to do well in this program?

The program definately can be challenging. The math is pretty basic. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Kaykay in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

Can somebody please help me with 2 questions i have. I want to go to school to become a radiation therapist, but im scared that when i graduate their will be no jobs? the reason is because so many people have told me that since hospitals dont have money they wont hire, and if they hire they want experience. I dont know what to do

56 months ago

Kaykay in Los Angeles, California said: Can somebody please help me with 2 questions i have. I want to go to school to become a radiation therapist, but im scared that when i graduate their will be no jobs? the reason is because so many people have told me that since hospitals dont have money they wont hire, and if they hire they want experience. I dont know what to do

My class graduated 29 students in August. Only 9 have jobs. I, myself, am still actively seeking employment. If you are in it for the right reasons, and have patience, you will eventually find a job. But if you are in it for the money and need employment right away. I would look into something else.

suze in Stone Mountain, Georgia

56 months ago

Kaykay in Los Angeles, California said: Can somebody please help me with 2 questions i have. I want to go to school to become a radiation therapist, but im scared that when i graduate their will be no jobs? the reason is because so many people have told me that since hospitals dont have money they wont hire, and if they hire they want experience. I dont know what to do

I did radiation therapy a year and a half ago . I can't find no jobs. So i am just giving u heads up before you regret your decision.Nursing would be a good choice.

susan

56 months ago

allyse in Raleigh, North Carolina said: HELLO! i am about to become a college graduate from uncg and after 4 long years of work of obtaining my undergraduate degree in public health, i really want to pursue radiation therapy. with that being said, i have been wondering if i would be able to obtain a bachelor's degree in radiation therapy faster? or will i end up back in school for another 4 yrs.? also, would anyone happen to know of any measures of finding a place to shadow an experienced therapist? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INFORMATION THAT IS GIVEN.

I think your best bet would be to try another field such as Physical Therapy....A physical therapist is in high demand now with many more choices for a career..I've been a radiation therapist for many years....it's VERY DIFFICULT to get jobs now,I wish I had the opportunity to switch careers

ashleyco in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

hi, i am applying to the radiation therapy tech program and after reading all of these posts, i am scared that i will not be able to find a job after. on bls.gov, they said that this career is growing much faster than average, which gave me a lot of hope. Do you think it will be easier for me to find a job in california? another question I have is that i am in progress of getting my bachelors, next semester I will start on my major, which is currently general biology. I was thinking about changing my major to health education. I dont know which major would be best for someone going into radiation therapy, any suggestions?

53 months ago

ashleyco in San Francisco, California said: hi, i am applying to the radiation therapy tech program and after reading all of these posts, i am scared that i will not be able to find a job after. on bls.gov, they said that this career is growing much faster than average, which gave me a lot of hope. Do you think it will be easier for me to find a job in california? another question I have is that i am in progress of getting my bachelors, next semester I will start on my major, which is currently general biology. I was thinking about changing my major to health education. I dont know which major would be best for someone going into radiation therapy, any suggestions?

What kind of degree you pursue and its benefits are dependent upon the area you will be seeking employment. In my area, (Pittsburgh)anything more than an associates is pretty much useless. So far as the job market goes...I graduated in August, have applied all across the US and still have not found employment. At least half of my class (We graduated 29) is in the same position as I am. I think this is pretty much the same everywhere. Sorry, I wish I had better news.

rtt

53 months ago

ashleyco in San Francisco, California said: hi, i am applying to the radiation therapy tech program and after reading all of these posts, i am scared that i will not be able to find a job after. on bls.gov, they said that this career is growing much faster than average, which gave me a lot of hope. Do you think it will be easier for me to find a job in california? another question I have is that i am in progress of getting my bachelors, next semester I will start on my major, which is currently general biology. I was thinking about changing my major to health education. I dont know which major would be best for someone going into radiation therapy, any suggestions?

You would be smart to consider other health fields at this stage of your education--have you considered being a physical therapist?There are jobs available and you can diversify into many different areas--sports, hospitals, private clinics and even open your OWN practice. Having a masters degree would be necessary for health management. Think twice about radiation therapy

NE Ohio Rad Therapist in Akron, Ohio

53 months ago

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania said: What kind of degree you pursue and its benefits are dependent upon the area you will be seeking employment. In my area, (Pittsburgh)anything more than an associates is pretty much useless. So far as the job market goes...I graduated in August, have applied all across the US and still have not found employment. At least half of my class (We graduated 29) is in the same position as I am. I think this is pretty much the same everywhere. Sorry, I wish I had better news.

I am a Radiation Therapist with over 20 years of experience.
Regarding the work: It is a very demanding job - both PHYSICALLY and MENTALLY - it is NOT a low stress job - even with the advent of new technology. You will be on your feet the majority of your day and have a lot of responsibility. You will be working very closely with all RTT's in your department and must be able to work well with all personalities (and trust me - even in such a close team environment there are some who are not team players). It can be a very REWARDING position, as you are an integral part of the patient's palliative or curative treatment.
Regarding the market: I have been out of work for over a year after the department that I was working in restructured. And I am not alone.... THE NORTHEAST OHIO JOB MARKET is FLOODED since the opening of the KENT STATE program several years ago. I don't think that students are being told HOW BAD IT IS OUT THERE! In the past, our area had several hospital based programs that would temporarily close whenever the market would become saturated. This is not the case now that we have a college based program in our back yard! They will gladly take your $$ even of there are no jobs. You may be the lucky one and get a foot in the door at a hospital where you're doing clinical work and get hired after graduation. I would research better to find out what radiologic fields are REALLY up & coming (ultrasound?).

Joe in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

The market in the Pennsylvania is dead. There are 4 schools of radiation therapy in PA, plus hospital based programs, plus unaccredited programs (as PA is one of the states that does not require a license ) all of which put out 10-15 students every year. That's at minimum 40 qualified students, [and I don't like to think about the number of unqualified] every year in a market that has maybe at best 5-10 job openings a year. Thus you have in a best case scenario 8:1 student to job ratio. That gets even worse when you consider the unaccredited schools and 7 students per job per year back log looking for work. Add on top of that the bad economy so old techs are not leaving and you get the picture. I would recommend to anyone considering radiation therapy to not do it, look at physical therapy its in high demand across the nation.

The reason the market is so flooded it a two fold problem, one is that with the transition to college based programs instead of hospital based there is no longer a control on the amount of new therapists produced. Schools need students to make money, THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET A JOB! The other problem is the ARRT, who tells the government that the demand for the field is high and that it is growing, which anyone who is currently in the field knows is BS. Why does the ARRT feed the government bad information, because they make money every time someone tests to be a radiation therapist, and from everyone who pays their yearly dues to keep their license in the hopes that they may eventually find a job.

53 months ago

Thank You so much for corroborating with me. I wonder if there are any states that actually have a need for therapists? I just spoke to a recruiter who said they have the same problem in FL. A job listing here in OH will attract 30 -40 resumes. Remember people - radiation therapy is not a 24/7 department. There is no 2nd or third shift to fill, or weekends. Many facilities are even doing away with on-call services to treat emergencies on the weekends. I have to say that none of my therapist friends feels secure in their positions these days - even those in management. Many are trying to figure out what to do if they lose their job like I did. Some departments aren't doing well because of a competitive market for prostate treatments. Most departments are making the therapists do more with less, and limiting the number of therapists on site each day based on their daily stats, which is very stressful on the staff. Never did I think I would see the day that I would be laid off. About eight years ago I interviewed locally and had 3 offers AT THE SAME TIME. Those days are over. You're right - older therapists are not retiring after taking a beating in the stock market. HEED the ADVICE of people who know the field and research carefully before investing your money!!!

Bond James Bond in New York

53 months ago

Joe, I am a graduating radiation therapy student with plans on moving to the philadelphia area. I was wondering if I could pick your brains on the current job market?

Joe in Chester, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Bond James Bond in New York said: Joe, I am a graduating radiation therapy student with plans on moving to the philadelphia area. I was wondering if I could pick your brains on the current job market?

The Philly area is flooded man. If you move here don't expect to get a job fast. I know one of the HR people at a Mercy hospital that recently hired a therapist and they got 80, no joke 80, applicants. The Mercy Health System is also not one of the best paying health systems in the Philly region, so ya, market is bad.

j in Riverside, California

53 months ago

I applied to a radiation therapy program recently as well and I'm beginning to grow some concern after hearing about the saturated job market. However, most of these cases seem to be around east coast. I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how the job market is like around California? Or is there a way I can research on it. I am trying to refrain from asking the counselor as I feel he or she may not be feeding me the correct information.

Thanks for the help.

angie in houston tx in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

I am an xray tech in the med center in houston tx. I was accepted into a therapy school which will start in August. I have only been working in xray for 4yrs and I have also taken the CT registry. I really just don't know what to do at this point. Continue working in xray and try to find a CT job or go to therapy school...... By the way the job market for radiology in general is swamped here too... It took me 9 months to find my job now.

53 months ago

angie in houston tx in Houston, Texas said: I am an xray tech in the med center in houston tx. I was accepted into a therapy school which will start in August. I have only been working in xray for 4yrs and I have also taken the CT registry. I really just don't know what to do at this point. Continue working in xray and try to find a CT job or go to therapy school...... By the way the job market for radiology in general is swamped here too... It took me 9 months to find my job now.

Therapy is no better if not worse clear across the U.S. If you have a job now, I would be happy for that, and maybe consider therapy once the market turns around. I graduated in Therapy last August and still have not found a job. Roughly half of my class is in the same position as me. Good luck with your decision.

53 months ago

angie in houston tx in Houston, Texas said: I am an xray tech in the med center in houston tx. I was accepted into a therapy school which will start in August. I have only been working in xray for 4yrs and I have also taken the CT registry. I really just don't know what to do at this point. Continue working in xray and try to find a CT job or go to therapy school...... By the way the job market for radiology in general is swamped here too... It took me 9 months to find my job now.

I am not sure why you would want to get into therapy with the job market being so over-saturated. I actually thought of cross training in CT, because I see more CT jobs than therapy jobs available. Even if you could find a PRN CT job on the weekends, that would be a foot in the door, and supplement your xray job... Be thankful that you have a job!

g rai in Hamilton, Ontario

53 months ago

i have applied to a medical radiation program, and have been accepted to it as well now. if i cointinue with the program i will graduate in four years.

does anyone think that there will be a demand for radiation therapists in 4 years?

on other sites i have read that this feild will have a great job demand in 2015.

James in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

I'm going to graduate from university with a BS in Biology this Fall and want to apply to a Radiography (and later into radiation therapy) or directly into a Radiation Therapy Program for the following year. What are the chances that I will get in with a BS, better or about the same? Does anyone else have an update on the job market on the West Coast? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rtt

52 months ago

Please reconsider and look into other areas such as physical therapy or Pa degree. The job market is not good for therapists and does not look promising--too many therapists and not enough jobs. Medical physics is another option-- look into the options

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.