Jobs you can do with rad. tech degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 216)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

radgirl in Olympia, Washington

66 months ago

Rad tech is a great way to go. I love x-ray even though I have moved on to MRI. I graduated in 99 with an associates. Exciting field and there is so much flexibility. You can work in a hospital, clinic or per-diem. I wanted to perform MRI and really have found my niche. I think that you would really enjoy. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

TYW in Alma, Illinois

66 months ago

If she was a radiologist, then she doesn't earn a low wage and doesn't need a second job. Radiologists are medical doctors with 14+ years of education under their belt. She's making somewhere between $80k-$120k per year probably.

That is assuming she's a radiologist and not a radiologic technologist, which is a person who takes x-rays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

dantheman in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

albie in Miami, Florida

59 months ago

dantheman in Miami, Florida said: Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

Hello, my wife is currently thinking about going to radiology tech school in keiser university. She is going to receive an associates in science along with this program. We live in miami fl and im afraid that the field is being saturated. WHat school did u attend and what do you recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

RT in Tallahassee, Florida

59 months ago

albie in Miami, Florida said: Hello, my wife is currently thinking about going to radiology tech school in keiser university. She is going to receive an associates in science along with this program. We live in miami fl and im afraid that the field is being saturated. WHat school did u attend and what do you recommend.

Don't do it! I am a female just graduated from Keiser in April and CAN't Find a job here. She will be competing with persons with way more experience. I heavily suggest the nursing program at Keiser investing the same amount of time and she will have multiple offers when she graduates. WISH I WOULD'VE KNOW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

hopeless in Alma, Michigan

57 months ago

I am currently in an X-ray program in MI, doing my clinical rotation, and can vouch that there are no jobs to be found. On call is the best you can hope for if just graduating, very few people from last years graduating class have even found these jobs. Nursing is starting to see the same problems, everyone guarantees jobs are available, so the market is becoming saturated. I would suggest applying yourself and going for medical school if you believe you have what it takes, thats what I will be doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Teena in Murrieta, California

57 months ago

Can anyone give me advice on a school in the Inland Empire that I can obtain my Radiology Degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

babyface 101

56 months ago

Hi can anybody give me advice should i go and get my degree in Radiology because from what i see on here its not a good decision or should i do nursing.Help me please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NucsSA in San Antonio, Texas

56 months ago

Radiology is an extremely rewarding job but the market is currently glutted and not likely to improve anytime soon. Although the potential to expand your professional bounds exists through the multiple modalities associated with radiology, there are currently too many techs and not enough jobs to be found. Five years ago I would have told you to do it with no question...today I would advise you seriously consider other options such as nursing. Although I personally wouldn't want to be a nurse...if you are looking at starting a career that would probably be a better way for long term planning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Fresno, California

56 months ago

It's always a good decision to go into the medical field, and yes, you should get your associates degree at least. Do not fall for ANY oline school, and go to your local community college. Make sure you know what medical programs they offer. Talk specifically with a health advisor counselor to get all the info. you need. Yes, many people have chosen the medial field because it will always be needed. If your willing to move, maybe even to the next town where you reside, or even further, you will get a job. Yes the economy goes up and down, but you have to be willing to go with the flow and be open minded to where you are willing to work.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

thinking of rad tech. in Arlington, Texas said: Hi, i am thinking about getting an associates in radiology technology and I was wondering what a person who is actually in the field, what they say the jobs I could do are. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and I have heard there are way too many x-ray techs around here, so i want to be sure I will be able to do more than just x-ray. Thanks for any help.

Don't forget, after your 2 year associate program, you will have to have more education to get a specialty. You will only be a rad. tech. with your first two years. After you complete that, you can then branch out and add training for MRI, Mammography etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

dantheman in Miami, Florida said: Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

Volunteer for a couple of months to get your foot in the door. You can strike up some good deals

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Teena in Murrieta, California said: Can anyone give me advice on a school in the Inland Empire that I can obtain my Radiology Degree?

Your community college.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rachelsweeney in Burlington, Massachusetts

56 months ago

I am enrolling into a radiology program next year, what are some of the radiology techs responsibilities? and what if i want to be a mri tech...what do i have to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NucSA in San Antonio, Texas

56 months ago

Rachelsweeny, Radiological technologists can perform numerous diagnostic examinations including imaging of anatomy such as chest x-rays, skulls, sinuses, ribs, knees, feet, ankles, etc... Also performed are some limited functional examinations such as IVP's and utilization under the supervision of a radiologist for flouroscopic procedures such as barium enemas, upper GI examinations, and barium swallow tests. Technologists can work in diagnostic radiology, orthopedics, urology, and/or surgery. MRI is considered a separate modality and requires a separate set of skills and knowledge. Very often acquired either OJT or via a post-primary education course. There are a number of schools across the country which offer courses for this purpose to include technical programs & in-hospital based programs. The ARRT is an excellent source of information for knowledge of skills/knowledge required for both Radiological Technologists and MRI as well as the other modalities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rachelsweeney in Burlington, Massachusetts

56 months ago

Would people suggest massage therapy or rad tech? I am confused and considering both.. which one would you recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

No recommendations, its about what your want. The best suggestion is to talk to your community college counselor. They have all the information you'll need to make a choice.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Mely in New York, New York said: hey there. i am soon to be in the rads tech program n i want to know which would be better, to specialize in one area i was thinking nuclear medicine? or ultrasound rather. or not to specialize?

also which field would be better? and hardest?

Your professors will be able to help you with that, just ask the rad. tech. professor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Dana in Fresno, California said: Your community college.....

Yes, Loma Linda University. Check them out....Your very lucky to have this college nearby. Tons of medical programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Teena in Murrieta, California said: Can anyone give me advice on a school in the Inland Empire that I can obtain my Radiology Degree?

Loma Linda University....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

radsticker in Norco, California

56 months ago

Hi Teena. I graduated from Chaffey Community College's program in 1994. It is in Rancho Cucuamonga. There are ones at Loma Linda, Mount Sac and Crafton Hills. Arrowhead Regional ( San Bernadino County Hospital) also has one. I would strongly suggest all of the besides Chaffey, use that one as a last resort. If this doesn'r help, go on the ARRT website and follow the links to rad Tech schools. There are PAGES of them from all over the U.S. Hope this helps. Don't give up, yeah the job market goes up and down like any market but I think you will really like being a CRT and I've met some of the best people in the world. Best of luck to you. ( Hey, we might actually end up working togather, I live in the I.E too!)www.arrt.org/index.htmlcontent=nd/listOfSchools.ndm/listSchools&iframe=yes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Johnna Redmon in Flower Mound, Texas

55 months ago

Hi Dana in Fresno!!
I currently live in Texas, but I am thinking of moving to Clovis to be by my family. Where did you go to school and would you recommend it to anyone. How long did it take you to get through?
Looking for any help I can get. I'm a 45yr. old mom wanting to start over.

Thanks in advance,
Johnna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Hanford, California

55 months ago

Hi Johnna, I'm actually a native of Fresno, but I myself lived in Austin, Texas for 5 years before moving back home to Fresno. Texas medical program are alot harder to get into, the colleges there only take a few top performing student, and its not based on a lottery system like it should be to be fare to all trying to enter medical programs.

Anyhow kudos to you for going back to school, I myself just turned 46. My opinion would be yes, move back out hear to Clovis, your chanches of even getting into the programs in TX are slim to none at this point I've done all the research and also attended Austin Community College. If you move back here, Fresno City College is the only community college close that offer the medical programs such as rad. tech., resp. tech., nursing etc. I've been attending FCC for 7 years except when living in texes. Anyhow, the programs all have pre-req class requirements before you can apply and they are all based on a lottery system, so everybody has a chance, you just have to wait until your number is drawn. Unlike texas, they discriminate and only take the top performing students each program start date. Texas is a big state and has many community college including off branches and way too many students. With their type of requirements to get into the program, your chances are rare.

Like I said if you move back to Clovis, you would attend Fresno City College, all the medical programs take two years which include your inturnship and class study. Your most likely need family to help with your children while you are attending one of the medical programs due to the fact they are fast paced and you will not have much free time. You will also want to finish all your general ed for your degree and the will have to have the prereqs. done before you can apply to the program. You pretty much can not work due to the fact you will not have anytime while in the program, example in the radiological tech. handbook they suggest you not wor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Hanford, California

55 months ago

Johnna Redmon in Flower Mound, Texas said: Hi Dana in Fresno!!
I currently live in Texas, but I am thinking of moving to Clovis to be by my family. Where did you go to school and would you recommend it to anyone. How long did it take you to get through?

Thanks in advance,
Johnna

To add to my reply, you can always move back to tx or anywhere to practice your field. Yes, many people are doing the programs, but this is life and if you are willing to move to go with the flow, you can eventually get a job. Yes, nursing is good, but so are the other programs. Just be open minded and if it takes moving to the next city or state to land the job why not? Its a good paying career you worked for and why not go where they are hireing instead of staying in the same town. I see the jobs sites online all the time and if your willing to move an inch or a mile to get the job, go for!!! Go see the Fresno City College web site and check out what they have to offer. fresnocitycolleg.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Fresno in Hanford, California

55 months ago

Johnna Redmon in Flower Mound, Texas said: Hi Dana in Fresno!!

Thanks in advance,
Johnna

To add to my reply, you can always move back to tx or anywhere to practice your field. Yes, many people are doing the programs, but this is life and if you are willing to move to go with the flow, you can eventually get a job. Yes, nursing is good, but so are the other programs. Just be open minded and if it takes moving to the next city or state to land the job why not? Its a good paying career you worked for and why not go where they are hireing instead of staying in the same town. I see the jobs sites online all the time and if your willing to move an inch or a mile to get the job, go for!!! Go see the Fresno City College web site and check out what they have to offer. fresnocitycolleg.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Veteran X-Ray Tech in Durham, North Carolina

55 months ago

Do not go into radiology now if you want to find a job. THERE ARE NO XRAY JOBS IN NORTH CAROLINA. The market is flooded with techs coming out of school. I have been a tech for 20 years and am blessed to be working since I have the experience. You will not be as lucky, sorry. If I was young now and had to pick a career in healthcare it would be nursing just so I would have some chance at a job. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

radtech/nurse in Odessa, Texas

55 months ago

Hi. I heard the rad tech jobs are flooded, I am so confused on whether to go to nursing or rad tech. Anyone with medical expirence reccommend which would be better to go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Phoenix, Arizona

55 months ago

For those considering rad tech vs. nursing, you might want to consider some third option. Because rad tech is so much better than nursing, maybe not in terms of salary but in terms of job satisfaction. I'm an RN and I regret even wasting the time and money getting into this field. You don't realize the crap you have put up with working this job, from CNA's and LPN's who think they know everything, to supervisors and physicians looking down on you and working you like a dog. I work 12 hour days and hardly have the time spend with my family. I am constantly dealing with patients who think I'm their servant(rad techs do it too, I know, but not as bad as nurses). I have been doing this for 2 years and feel as though I've been here forever. I am already burned out and planning to go back to school for physical therapist. Don't take my word for it, or the others who post here, go to a hospital and ask for yourself. I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the nurses hate their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

55 months ago

Healthcare, like every other industry, is hit hard by the currect economic climate. In addition, our regular cycle of 'need for RT's/expansion of radiography programs/glut of new graduates' is hitting at the worst possible time.

1-Once an RT obtains their national certification, it is possible to go through additional schooling for specialties within radiography - CT, MR (although it won't be long before separate certification is required for these.)

3-Nuclear Medicine, Sonography and Radiation Therapy are all separate specialties. You need not be an RT to train for NM, US or RTT, but there are other requirements. See the website for the NMTCB, the ARDMS and the ARRT for details.

4-If you want to teach, be sure to obtain a 4-year degree first. Many programs will require you to have a Master's degree to teach.

5-"Massage therapy or Rad Tech?" Are they related? No similarities. Training is different in length and educational requirements, occupational trends and wages not comparable.

6-"How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it." With so many out of jobs, it's hardly surprising that facilities will take experience first.

And to the poster who thinks that programs ought to have to accept students by lottery because it isn't "fare" (I think you mean 'fair') Frankly, I'm thrilled that they're focusing on the best and the brightest. Why should healthcare settle for average when we can have the best? Fair? If your focus is on fair, I think you need to grow up a bit.

REMEMBER - for the most part, the posts you'll see in any online forum are from people who are unemployed or unhappy with their career choices. This forum was intended for people looking for work. People who are happy with their current position are not posting here. So beware - the impression you have of any profession is skewed. You're only seeing one side of the story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JJoy in Destin, Florida

55 months ago

rachelsweeney in Burlington, Massachusetts said: Would people suggest massage therapy or rad tech? I am confused and considering both.. which one would you recommend?

I'm a massage therapist and going study rad tech and specialize in nuclear med. Massage therapy is a very rewarding career; I love it. However, your income is based on whether or not you have clients. Your pay is different week to week, so you don't know how much you're going to make ahead of time. One of the pros of MT is that you can work for yourself, set your own hours and rates, and can make good money if you stay on top of marketing yourself. The only thing about massage therapy I don't like is the marketing aspect- you have to stay on top of that. Anytime you get a job somewhere else - for what ever reason- you have to rebuild your clientele, which could take months depending on where you work (spa, gym, wellness center). I'm not sure what type of jobs offer the most security, but I feel that having a job where you're selling a service has less security than a job with an actual salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

amaounda in Medford, Massachusetts

55 months ago

If i get a bachelors degree in which i specialize in CT and MRI wont the chances of me finding a job increase? Because that is what i plann to do.I might even go as far as getting a Masters so i can be a radiology assistant or teach in a local college. i would greatly appreciate your inputs especially from people that have experience in the field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

truthful in Dumont, New Jersey

55 months ago

Lisa in Phoenix, Arizona said: For those considering rad tech vs. nursing, you might want to consider some third option. Because rad tech is so much better than nursing, maybe not in terms of salary but in terms of job satisfaction. I'm an RN and I regret even wasting the time and money getting into this field. You don't realize the crap you have put up with working this job, from CNA's and LPN's who think they know everything, to supervisors and physicians looking down on you and working you like a dog. I work 12 hour days and hardly have the time spend with my family. I am constantly dealing with patients who think I'm their servant(rad techs do it too, I know, but not as bad as nurses). I have been doing this for 2 years and feel as though I've been here forever. I am already burned out and planning to go back to school for physical therapist. Don't take my word for it, or the others who post here, go to a hospital and ask for yourself. I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the nurses hate their jobs.

how do you know the other side is "greener." everytime you feel this way, just be happy that you have a job to feed yourself and family and you are way in the upper 50% of this depressing economy, and I mean the depression not recession. fyi, try to keep your complains like this to yourself at the work place because it is hard enough to work especially when someone is telling you this even though it is a given. i would know, i hear exact same thing from a coworker and I am a technologist and I am sick of it even though it is the truth but you can't change it so I just look at the postive things, and things will get better and it did for me. There are also nurses out there who are struggling to find a job also and wish to have any RN job. good luck though on pt and the rest of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

amaounda in Medford, Massachusetts said: If i get a bachelors degree in which i specialize in CT and MRI wont the chances of me finding a job increase? Because that is what i plann to do.I might even go as far as getting a Masters so i can be a radiology assistant or teach in a local college. i would greatly appreciate your inputs especially from people that have experience in the field

Bachelor' degree or Master's degree has nothing to do with becoming proficient in CT, MRI or Registered Radiologist Assistant.

Many have BS/BA and work as Radiologist Technologists. Many have AA/AS and work in CT/MR.

Working in CT and MRI have to do with training and there is no current degree requirement. There IS a degree requirement for RRA - If you want to enter training to become Registered Radiologist Assistant, please see the ARRT website (www.arrt.org). There's a link on the left nav bar.

All of this information is verifiable on the ARRT website. Please don't accept everything you read in an anonymous forum as 'THE TRUTH'. I've seen a lot of terrible, wrong information in this forum. Please check anything you see here with a reliable source (like the ARRT or a Radiography Program Director)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Sorry, line 2 should say "Many have BS/BA and work as RadiologiC Technologists".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

Lisa in Phoenix, Arizona said: For those considering rad tech vs. nursing, you might want to consider some third option. Because rad tech is so much better than nursing, maybe not in terms of salary but in terms of job satisfaction. I'm an RN and I regret even wasting the time and money getting into this field. You don't realize the crap you have put up with working this job, from CNA's and LPN's who think they know everything, to supervisors and physicians looking down on you and working you like a dog. I work 12 hour days and hardly have the time spend with my family. I am constantly dealing with patients who think I'm their servant(rad techs do it too, I know, but not as bad as nurses). I have been doing this for 2 years and feel as though I've been here forever. I am already burned out and planning to go back to school for physical therapist. Don't take my word for it, or the others who post here, go to a hospital and ask for yourself. I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the nurses hate their jobs.

I have to agree, I hear a lot of RN's complaining that they wish they had not become RN's. But then again, I hear that from must health care professionals. It's nerve wrecking. I found I was getting burnout in one year, that is why I choose to do agency work. I am not in one place long enough to feel the pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

solchitlins in Commerce Township, Michigan

55 months ago

So what career paths are still viable in the medical/ health care field? Anything still look like a good shot with 2 to 4 years of schooling?
I'm currently changing careers at 37 years of age. I'm going to Baker college here in Auburn Hills Michigan. I'm studying computer lan security but I don't see where it's going to land me a job especially with just an associates degree, so I'm looking at more years of college and many certificates before I get a job. :(

I rather find something decent that I can make a living at and be employed asap.
Any suggestions?
My college offers: Polysomnographic Technologist, Orthotic/Prosthetic Technology, Radiologic Technologist, Phlebotomy tech, vascular ultrasound tech, sonography , nursing, etc.....

I know that I could do the class room RT part but then there's the waiting list with the "only top 18 students" emitted into the hospital training part.
so confused, just want a decent job so I can get on with enjoying my life.

charzar in Painesville, Ohio

54 months ago

thinking of rad tech. in Arlington, Texas said: Hi, i am thinking about getting an associates in radiology technology and I was wondering what a person who is actually in the field, what they say the jobs I could do are. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and I have heard there are way too many x-ray techs around here, so i want to be sure I will be able to do more than just x-ray. Thanks for any help.

I am a recruiter and I'd advise you to focus on CathLab/specials. Lots of jobs across the USA for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jillybean in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

54 months ago

Reading some of these comments have got me scared. I plan on getting my rad. degree but also have a lot of other education. Wouldn't someone with several degrees get the job over someone with just an associate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

54 months ago

Most definatley. They would go to the head of the line regardless off the type of education they had but as long as they had more because naturally more is better. It doesn't matter how good you are or If you can multi task in modalities or whatever experience you may have . As long as you have MORE education no matter what it is you have a better chance. I think they offer an Phd. in common sense that would ensure a position for someone with MORE education.

taylor in Phoenix, Arizona

54 months ago

im in a rad program right now and the clinical hours qualify as experience. there are so many different areas that you can get into. and its better then working at mcdonalds your whole life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rainy in Canton, Ohio

54 months ago

I'm interested in getting into the Rad tech field but these comments don't deter me. I just graduated with BA in English but I wanted to get into the medical field because there is usually more jobs there. I wanted to get certified to teach Language Arts and the ESL but I'm not sure I will like to teach forever. I just want to have a few options as I grow older. I don't know why everyone suggests nursing. The reason why so many choose rad tech is b/c they know how people get burned out being a nurse. It happened to my Mom. I've actually seen an ER nurse turn her head a look at me strange when I said thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Stark City, Missouri

54 months ago

I agree 100%, just graduated from prgram in Misouri same problem non-of my classmates have full time jobs yet and they all have been out of school since may of 2009. do the nursing or physical therapy! plenty of jobs there.
Still despirate here in Missouri for jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

54 months ago

Heather in New Haven

Bravo, well stated.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

taylor in Phoenix, Arizona said: im in a rad program right now and the clinical hours qualify as experience. there are so many different areas that you can get into. and its better then working at mcdonalds your whole life.

Exactly who is it that stated your clinical hours count as experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Tuten in Melbourne, Florida

54 months ago

taylor in Phoenix, Arizona said: im in a rad program right now and the clinical hours qualify as experience. there are so many different areas that you can get into. and its better then working at mcdonalds your whole life.

No they don't I had experience before going to school and they didin't even look at that. I'm an Medical Assistant and had my basic x-ray and worked 10years before going back to school, plus have a degree in Vet Tech. I still till this day can't find a job because there is nothing out there right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Scotts Valley, California

54 months ago

My impression after reading the thread here is that everyone acknowledges that employment is tight right now (I am in northern California). Here it isn't so much that the schools are pumping out RTs and the market is thus flooded with RT grads. Hospitals and clinics have job freezes on and radiography staff are hunkering down and not moving to other positions in the community and not advancing to other modalities. When staff techs normally do this they leave entry level positions available to grads. It is the economy and that is what we all have to make it through-employed or not-employed. So RT grads have to have different strategies at this time.

The marketplace in medical imaging is cyclic. I have worked in radiography, mammo, nuclear medicine and RT education for over 30 years. This situation will get better as to employment. I advise those considering RT to realize that the employment picture for them is 2-4 years in the future (depending on the RT program waitlist). Do not judge your career based upon short term data. If you do graduate in RT and the economy is still not optimal for employment then continue your education (if you can) to be multi-competent in other imaging areas. Right now jobs are available in my area in CT and MRI and Mammo.
When jobs are tight in the various areas of the country, you have to go further afield to find employment. I advise unemployed RTs and graduates to work per diem for maternity leave and vacation relief to get their foot in the door. Then they will get a change to showcase their skills to a potential employer.

For potential students of medical imaging or healthcare, do not select a career you know nothing about-RN, RT, or PT. Do the research! I agree with several of the people that advised you to consult with a program director in RT (or RN, PT or other careers) to find out more. More information will save you time and effort in the end. "Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Soon2beRadTech in Schaumburg, Illinois

54 months ago

Haven't been on these forums in a while but this is one of the best and most informative posts I've seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracey R.T.(R)(M) in Flint, Michigan

54 months ago

Any suggestions? I've been out of the X-Ray field for 10 years. Worked for 10 years (before quitting to be at home with my boys) doing general, mamms, myelograms and cat scans. Been looking for a job about a year and half without a interview. I know the field has changed alot. Looked for refresher course. None out there. I've kept all my C.E. credits and registries up to date. Would like to start studying for CT boards to help my chances for employment. But without working in the field I can't get the documented studies needed to take the boards. Any help would be appreciated. I know I live in Michigan and things for tough here. But there are jobs posted in the Detroit area and would just like to be competitive.

kathyS in Hiwasse, Arkansas

54 months ago

Dana in Fresno, California said: Volunteer for a couple of months to get your foot in the door. You can strike up some good deals

I agree Just Graduated Radtech in Missouri market flooded no jobs do RN nursing or physical therapy, occupational therapy, or resipratory therapy their are jobs for that in Missouri.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

54 months ago

kathyS in Hiwasse, Arkansas said: I agree Just Graduated Radtech in Missouri market flooded no jobs do RN nursing or physical therapy, occupational therapy, or resipratory therapy their are jobs for that in Missouri.

I'm sorry that things are not currently working out for you. However, do not recommend to others to choose another field because jobs are tight. That is such short sighted and poor advice! Not everyone will be good/talented at the fields you suggested and the chance of burn out will be high. People usually choose Radiography because they are good at it and have researched the field. Things are temporary and it will swing back once more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.