Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

What are typical radiologic technologist salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Austin, TX

104 months ago

according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Website, starting salaries are in the mid 40Ks, but I have seen employers posting entry-level salaries at 44K-66K in Sacramento...I am currently in Austin, first-year Rad. Tech. student, but would be willing to relo to CA, as I do love it there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lizabeth in Buffalo, New York

88 months ago

what is the difference between a radiologic technologist, and a radiation therapy technologist?? i am thinking of applying to two colleges, but i dont know if theres a difference, and according to salary.com, radiation therapy technologists make about 75k....anyone???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Krohn RT in Queens Village, New York

87 months ago

lizabeth in Buffalo, New York said: what is the difference between a radiologic technologist, and a radiation therapy technologist?? i am thinking of applying to two colleges, but i dont know if theres a difference, and according to salary.com, radiation therapy technologists make about 75k....anyone???

A radiologic technologist generally takes xrays of peoples bones for fractures and or other diseases as well as works in coorelation with doctors usually in hospitals to make a diagnosis of a disease or pathology condition. Whereas a radiation therapist usually works giving radiation treatment to cancer victims and they generally make a bit more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Salaries depend on location...higher salaries will generally be found where cost of living is higher...hospitals will normally pay more than clinics because of the number/variety of challenging exams needed to be performed on inpatients...clinic jobs are usually straightforward: easier, "uncomplicated" x-ray studies on people who can walk in and out on their own, while a hospital position requires that you are familiar with fluoroscopic studies, trauma cases in the E.R. and operating imaging equipment in the O.R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RadTherapistRTT in Staten Island, New York

87 months ago

Radiation Therapist make alot more money than radiologic technologists. Around $70K to start, however, there alot more opportunities and openings for x-ray techs. Radiation therapy schools are few and far between and they only admit maybe 15 people. And not all of those 15 will graduate. And those who graduate will not all pass the boards (they're very hard). So they're are a good amount of openings but nowhere near enough radiation therapists to fill them. That's one of the reasons why they get paid quite well. Both x-ray tech and radiation therapy programs are the same length of time. Also, remember, that x-ray techs have lots of career options (administrative, management, CT techs, MRI, and other modalities of x-ray) and I hear this new position called Radiologist Assistant-this is exactly what a Physician Assistant is, except that is specifically for Radiologistst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T.J in Dallas, Texas

84 months ago

it made me so nervous by just reading the comments regarding the job market from you guys. I am right now a RT student trying to finish up the program hopefully next year. Please somebody gives advice so that I would have no problem finding job in the future? do I need to work part time in the hospital while being a student? what should I do. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristin S in Louisville, Kentucky

82 months ago

I am in school to be a Rad Tech. What is the starting
pay in Louisville,Ky?? And is there a high demand
for Rad Techs?? I want to make sure I can land a job.
Any advice would be great, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Oneonta, Alabama

81 months ago

I am currently going to school for computer science tech, i will graduate this coming up may!! but when i get out i have decided to go back and get into a rad tech program. my question is once you do the program is there anything else to get before your ready to work? certifications, ect.!!!!????

MFlores in New York City, New York

79 months ago

Can anyone help? I am currently looking into becoming a Radiologic Technologist, going back to school after 14yrs in the merchant processing industry(tech manager), I would like to know, what is the starting salary for entry level technologist in NYC. I would also like to know the difference besides an associate degree going to college, and taking the course from a hospital with no degree but are also accredited? are the chances of getting the job after 2 yrs the same? Is this field going away, due to ultrasound technologists?
thanks

Trish in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

MFlores in New York City, New York said: Can anyone help? I am currently looking into becoming a Radiologic Technologist, going back to school after 14yrs in the merchant processing industry(tech manager), I would like to know, what is the starting salary for entry level technologist in NYC. I would also like to know the difference besides an associate degree going to college, and taking the course from a hospital with no degree but are also accredited? are the chances of getting the job after 2 yrs the same? Is this field going away, due to ultrasound technologists?
thanks

The field is flooded right now, but it has nothing to do with ultrasound. I'm in Chicago and jobs are very few and far between. from what I'm reading in these forums its not any better anywhere else in the country. I don't recommend X ray at this time. I also gave up an 18year full time career to go to xray school I graduated in july 2008 and just last week started working part time.. I was lucky to get that job. Full time positions just are not in demand right now. Unfortunately its not just here in Chicago, but everywhere techs even those with years of experience are having a lot of difficulty finding jobs. We all hope it changes soon and we are in demand again, however I don't see that change coming for quite some time so really think about it before you change your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MFlores in New York, New York

78 months ago

Thank you Trish, I went to see a Rn course today...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vince in Mesa, Arizona

78 months ago

Same here in Arizona. Even part-time jobs is also hard to find. More and more students graduating making it more flooded. It might take more than a couple of years before demand goes up again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RadTech in Beaverton, Oregon

75 months ago

Vince in Mesa, Arizona said: Same here in Arizona. Even part-time jobs is also hard to find. More and more students graduating making it more flooded. It might take more than a couple of years before demand goes up again.

No better in Oregon the job market for X-ray techs sucks here too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

georgepulos in West Palm Beach, Florida

75 months ago

Do not do it, there are no jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kpak76 in Puyallup, Washington

74 months ago

The Seattle/Tacoma, Washington areas are just as bad. I graduated in Dec of 08, and still have not been able to find a job. It is now late March of '09. I am hearing people are waiting more than 6 months to even sniff a job at this point. X-ray is not a good field to get into right now, look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DavidY in Antelope, California

73 months ago

Hey all,
I am currently a junior in high school in CA and have taken high interest into schooling for becoming a Rad. Tech.. For all those who are in this field of study or perhaps actually work at this position, I would like to know if it is worth the time to dig into this occupation and if I'll have a good chance for a job opening. Thanks for your time.

Xrayiz in Durham, North Carolina

73 months ago

No jobs in N.C. Have been a tech for 20 years, with hospital and clinic experience. Would not suggest going into this field now, wait a few years until demand is up again. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

badrad in Ringgold, Georgia

67 months ago

I don't know bout you'all but things are Great!! here in Texas both jobs and salaries, you guys have to keep in mind when you are asking about pay dirt its not only what you make an hour the real money is in the unlimited overtime!!! I made around 19,500 on overtime lastyear you do the math...its a great field my only advise is get certified in all modalities; ct and mri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

65 months ago

badrad in Ringgold, Georgia said: the real money is in the unlimited overtime!!! I made around 19,500 on overtime lastyear you do the math...

Anyone who counts on "unlimited" overtime is going to get a real shock. Overtime in radiology is becoming a thing of the past - check out some of the other Radiography forums out there from RT's who are losing their homes because they counted on permanent OT.

Job markets everywhere are struggling and unless you're blind and deaf, you're well aware that healthcare is not the only industry that's suffering. No one is untouched. There is no magic bullet, no profession immune. In today's economy, jobs with guaranteed income have no connection to reality.

So, just decide what you want to do and do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Newtown, Connecticut

64 months ago

Please Help me with a job

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

64 months ago

DavidY in Antelope, California said: Hey all,
I am currently a junior in high school in CA and have taken high interest into schooling for becoming a Rad. Tech.. For all those who are in this field of study or perhaps actually work at this position, I would like to know if it is worth the time to dig into this occupation and if I'll have a good chance for a job opening. Thanks for your time.

Hi David

I know this post was awhile ago and I'm not sure if anybody really answered it in a timely manner. A few years back I lived in CA and there are tons of opportunities out there. I'm going to give the same advice that one of my closest friends (an experienced tech) gave me and it was one of the smartest things I did.

He told me to become an EMT-B because it will open doors. He was exactly right. The next few years working on that ambulance I met (and became friends with) more people, saw tons offices/clinics/hospitals, visited different depts., and handled more cases than you could shake a stick at.

It was a great starting place; it only takes 6 mo. for basic training and it's inexpensive in time and $ wise. Best of all you you get invaluable experience for your resume all the while networking and deciding what would be the best specialty for you.

Your final decision will be an informed one :).

In the meantime ramp up on your math and science courses.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.