Analyst as a path to development

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Micheal in Murphysboro, Illinois

83 months ago

My goal is to invest and develop on my own in the future. I have done business development and run a distribution for 15 years. I have a strong understanding of cash flows debt structures, and financial statements. I am also very outgoing and sales minded.
I want to work in the field for a while before I invest on my own. I am wrestling with the brokerage side or the the anlaysis side.
Which path do you feel best gives you what you need to understand an investment in the future, or more specifically, is this role a good path to becoming a developer in the future?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Minneapolis, Minnesota

77 months ago

As a broker you would learn about how to value the market. Brokers are always networking and looking at competing properties. The focus is more on market research than financial analysis.

As an analyst you would be behind the scenes most of the time at a desk crunching numbers and looking at financial reports. As an analyst you will be getting to the bottom of operating numbers to determine efficiencies. If you want to know how much to budget on properties or how much to spend on capital repairs choose this background. When you invest in a property you will know how much to spend on salaries and other expenses which will help your bottom line and raise your resale price.

The best type of property to buy is one that is at least 10% below occupancy compared to the market. When you lease up these vacant units you will find that not only do your cash yields improve (more money to pay for expenses) but your resale price accelerates (higher NOI equals higher resale price).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jconstantine in Arcadia, California

41 months ago

thanks, I think that helps me. i am looking to get in this field. I am currently working for investors, but there funds are running out. So, I want to find a company that has more money. I want to be able to buy property for a reit fund. i think that position is Real Estate Broker?

Eric in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: As a broker you would learn about how to value the market. Brokers are always networking and looking at competing properties. The focus is more on market research than financial analysis.

As an analyst you would be behind the scenes most of the time at a desk crunching numbers and looking at financial reports. As an analyst you will be getting to the bottom of operating numbers to determine efficiencies. If you want to know how much to budget on properties or how much to spend on capital repairs choose this background. When you invest in a property you will know how much to spend on salaries and other expenses which will help your bottom line and raise your resale price.

The best type of property to buy is one that is at least 10% below occupancy compared to the market. When you lease up these vacant units you will find that not only do your cash yields improve (more money to pay for expenses) but your resale price accelerates (higher NOI equals higher resale price).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.