NBRC ruined my life- plese help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 310)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Susan D. in Louisville, Kentucky

70 months ago

Susan D. in Louisville, Kentucky said: I hate to sound harsh here, and I have friends who for whatever reason, also failed to recredential in time and had to retake their board exams. I'm sure they will not make that mistake again. Our profession, just like every other allied health field is ever changing. It is important to keep up with what is happening in the field and to be an active member of our professional organizations. You can't work without a valid CPR card, a valid and active state license, or credentials. Why are you attempting to blame the NBRC for your failure to renew your credentials as required?

Good luck on your board exams. If you have kept up with the latest advances and standards of care in the field, you should have no problem passing them.

Here is a link to the latest informational brochure from the NBRC on recredentialing:

www.nbrc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=F5hVTAHG5Nw%3d&tabid=57&mid=382

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

jmray in Mundelein, Illinois

70 months ago

Susan,

I understand what you are saying about CEUS, and keeping up with standards in my field... but I DID keep up with them. I have those CEUs, both for my state licensing board and for the NBRC. I have more that is necessary for both, as I am a BIG promoter of keeping up with the latest in my field and ALWAYS reaching up to become a better therapist in my field- both for my employers, my self and for my patients.

I understand being penalized for my being EIGHT days late in TYPING in my CEUS to the NBRC. Pay $200 dollars, fax us immediately, you don't get to work for a month while we process, blah blah. These are reasonable penalties for not typing in some information. The NBRC, on the other hand....

Finally, I worked for an agency AND a hospital that constantly make sure that we are kept up to date on our CPR card, TB shots, Illinois licensing, etc etc They need us to work- so why wouldn't they?? Because of this I AM current. AND if I WASN"T, they would send a LETTER to me, notifying me. (unlike the NBRC, which sends losable postcards, and GOD STRIKE ME DEAD NOW if they didn't indeed get lost/not delivered to my home) However, they agency and the hospitals are NOT AWARE of this requirement OR they would have made sure that it was done. And I understand that the AARC is not the same as the NBRC- my point, susan, was that my boss is on the board of the AARC and SHE WAS NOT AWARE that we needed these requirements. Now she is, and sooooo, the agency will make sure that their employees keep up to date with THAT deadline.

Finally, you say that the NBRC notified us when we received our credentials that we needed to fulfill this requirement in five years. THEY DID NOT. I received a card with a date on it that was unlike other therapist, I recieved a Certificate and I received a patch. THAT WAS IT. No "By the way, you need to get CEUS, and type them in to us, pay a new fee to us each year, or we will RUIN YOUR LIFE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

and I don't mean to sound harsh here either, but what I am going through and what your "friends" went through is bull. This "crime" does not merit this kind of punishment. And I will get my CRT- and not have any problems with as, as I HAVE kept abreast of my field and it's "ever changing" needs (even though the NBRC exams DO NOT, with all twenty of their IPPB questions). Once again, meet Jen the "Great CEU promoter" here. But for all of that- CEUS, becoming an RRT when I didn't need to, etc- all I got in exchange for my steadfastness was one big kick in the butt. I'm sure that your friends "won't make that mistake again", but I'm also sure that they will NOT be killing themselves to do a darn thing to make themselves any better than that, nor will they be killing themselves to do a darn thing more than the minimum to support the NBRC. They've never even sent me a letter or postcard telling me that I've lost my credentials and what to do now.

And I can't afford it, as I now have lost my job and have to pay the NBRC a minimum of $350 to retake my boards, but could somebody PLEASE donate some stamps and envelopes to the NBRC?? Apparently they can't afford it after we send them money for the MOST EXPENSIVE board exams in the health care fields.

I digress!! jen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

SFW- It's really simple- look on your credential card, there's a date. At least 90 days before that date, go onto NBRCs website, find the section on recredentialing, take five minutes to type in the CEUs that you already should have for your state license (I think the NBRC requires 48 every 5 years, don't quote me), pay money to the money grubbers, and done.

Isn't that simple, susan? Don't you think I would have spent the five minutes doing that on time- HAD I KNOWN TO DO IT???

Good luck SFW!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bird1979 in Homerville, Georgia

69 months ago

jmray in Mundelein, Illinois said: SFW- It's really simple- look on your credential card, there's a date. At least 90 days before that date, go onto NBRCs website, find the section on recredentialing, take five minutes to type in the CEUs that you already should have for your state license (I think the NBRC requires 48 every 5 years, don't quote me), pay money to the money grubbers, and done.

Isn't that simple, susan? Don't you think I would have spent the five minutes doing that on time- HAD I KNOWN TO DO IT???

Good luck SFW!!!

I agree that the NBRC and AARC are money-grubbers. I graduated from a Respiratory Therapy Program in December of 2002. Just in time to be too late; changes were apparently made while I was still in the program. The whole time I was in school I was not informed of any new changes to the way RCPs were credentialed. I spent the next two years under the impression that taking the RRT exam was optional. I, like you, took and passed my CRT the first month after I graduated. I also graduated top in my class. Then I was going to take my RRT a few months later (still believing it was optional). I had a severe tragedy in my family later that year, though, and all my focus changed to my family. My department manager never mentioned the new requirements to me, for she new nothing about them. I hadn't received any information via mail or otherwise on the topic. It was only when a friend of mine who works at another hospital mentioned it to me one day that I realized I had a lot of work to do. I do my job to the best of my ability, but with the dues that are required of RCPs, I have a right to expect a bit more from our main so-called advocates (AARC + NBRC). Most of the new changes have just been implemented because someone, somewhere can make money from these changes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Right bird, don't they have a responsibility to keep us up to date with their new changes? Again, I'm not surprised to see that I wasn't the only one kept in the dark by the NBRC.

Here is news, though- I applied for CRT exam by fax to the NBRC on the 6th of November, they say they didn't "get" my fax until the 13th of November. Naturally, it takes WEEKS to process my application which contains my name, address, creditcard number and signature.

Yesterday, I was soooo excited to see mail from the NBRC- could I finally sign up to take the exam?? (I can't work as a respiratory therapist in the meantime, unemployed without unemployment benefits here!) But NOOOOOO, let's not expect competence from an incompetent organization- the letter stated that I had not enclosed a form of payment, and so the process would not continue until I did so!!!!
Haaaaaaaa!!
Again, the only thing my application contained was:
1. My name
2. My address
3.That I wanted to take the CRT to recredential myself
4. My credit card info!!!! The number, the expiration date
5.My signature

Ugh ugh ugh!! What is wrong with these people???? Did they not learn how to read??
And of course, I called today and they are shut down for the holidays.
I swear, I'm going to talk to them on Monday, and if there is one iota of problem, I am getting in MY CAR and DRIVING the EIGHT hours (each way) to KANSAS!!! I've already mapquested the trip and I'm ready to go!! AND THEN I AM NOT LEAVING THE NBRC LOBBY UNTIL THEY PROCESS MY APPLICATION THAT HAS ALREADY TAKEN A MONTH!! CAMPING OUT IN THEIR LOBBY!! I've lost my job, my home, hundreds of dollars, and spent more time on the phone with these people to process a 25 word application than any human being should ever have to undergo!! And I've had it with their snide incompetent attitude!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Jen,

I am truly sorry that you have had so many difficulties in your re-credentialing process. My friend, who had taken her exams just a couple of days after the new rules took effect (but could have taken them earlier and been exempt) really kicked herself hard. She did say that the notices she had received from the NBRC before losing her creditals, resembled 'junk mail' and info notices that the NBRC regularly sends to its members. She is the primary wage earner in her home, was extremely upset, and this is how we handled her problem: The day she realized her credentials were invalid, I typed up a letter for her to the NBRC a) apologizing profusely for not handling her recredentialing in a timely manner as required, b) sent a copy of all her (AARC approved) CEUS as she had more than enough to recredential, and c) her payment of $150 + the cost of taking her boards again (by certified money order -- as they WILL WAIT for any personal checks to clear) along with d) a completed application with all her educational information etc. filled out. This package was fed-exed to the NBRC, along with a return prepaid fed-ex airbill for them to send her testing information back to her. Within three days, she had her authorization to test in hand and scheduled to take her exams. Yes, it cost her more (fed-ex both ways and the cost of the money order) but she knew they would receive it the next day. Luckily, she was well respected at work and supervisor gave her a couple of weeks to get her credentials in order before reporting her. She was also told they might have to place her on an unpaid leave of absence if it took any longer.

With the NBRC you can either do it the 'easy' way or the 'hard' way. Whine, complain, etc. and they will take FOREVER to process your applications or suck it up, jump through their hoops, make it easy for them to do your paperwork, and have your application taken care of quickly. Fax these people NOTHING! FED EX!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Oh and one more thing, Jen-- you mentioned that your paperwork was to 're-credential'... when your credentials have expired, you are NOT recredentialing, but instead applying to test as a NEW APPLICANT. Could this possibly be what is delaying your paperwork?

Just a tip.. when dealing with the NBRC or anyone else (especially those who have the power to put your career in permanent limbo)-- you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Grit your teeth, bite your tongue, smile, and be NICE to these people. Showing up in their offices and raising hell would be the very last thing I would recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi, wow, you are sooo right, I wish that I had had any idea that it would be this difficult, especially given the fact that I haven't been able to work (as an RT) for over a month and a half, and given the current economic environment, have had difficulty finding ANY kind of job (I used to be a bartender and waitress, but can't even get that job!) I've applied to be a sitter, caregiver, bartender, waitress, and gas station attendant.

ANYHOW- I talked to the NBRC on Friday and she said that my application HAS been processed and I should get the "email" in a couple of days that would enable me to schedule my exam. I screamed "OH my god, that's the best christmas gift EVER!" into the phone, and she laughed, and so hopefully I'll get to take it before christmas. My work assures me that I can work THE VERY NIGHT that I pass my exams, so I'm very excited about that, and just PRAYING that I pass the exam. Ugh! this has been one very drawn out thing, and believe me that I will never not ever forget to type in my CEUs ever again.

I still stand by my statements that there should be a grace period, and that the penalty is CRAZY extreme, and I will put off taking my RRT just as long as I possibly can. I'm going to have the words JENNIFER SETINEK, RRT taken OFF my lab coats and replaced with Jennifer Raymond-Setinek (divorced now,hee), CRT (TWICE) put on the lab coats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Oh- and about the re-credential/ new applicant box on the application, it wasn't that- there is a box on the application just for me, i did it right. (it say for former therapists who have expired credentials, who need to re-credential themselves, pay $150 new applicant fee for the CRT, and a $190 fee penalty).

And your friend is right-it does look just like junk mail, it's just a card like we get millions of, and my dad (who USED to get the mail out of the box, he's not allowed any more!!!) for sure threw them out.

And I do think that my "raisin' hell" tactic has been what has hindered me. Believe me, I am sedate now, after being seperated from my daughter, losing my job, and living in my car for a week. I only wanted to speak out against the injustice of the whole thing, susan- isn't that how change is brought about? But never mind, I will now shut up and save my passion for the test and just pray that lightning never strikes again.

Minimally, I know that I have paved the way in some parts of the world, both my agency and the hospitals I work for have been like, "Oh, jen- now we'll be making sure that all of our new therapists are in compliance with this policy BEFORE anything like this happens to them!" and therapists all over have been whipping out their cards, and are like, "Now what do I have to do? Where is this information?" Ugh.

So- merry christmas and happy holidays to all, hopefully Santa will be giving me a big PASS on my exam for christmas! It's all I want this year!!

Take care this holiday season, especially to my fellow therapists and their families!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

jmray, i feel your anger and hear your screams. i myself am extremely angry, boiling, over the fact that i need to retake both my crt and rrt test again to hand these crooks nearly one grand. i live in a non-liscence state and dont need it (thank god) and like you wanted to know why anyone before july of 2001 gets grandfathered in (susan is probably one of those) while the rest get raped for their money. i called the nbrc and expressed my outrage of which i was told i could submit a letter of complaint to the board. ya alot of good that will do! this needs to be exposed to a higher level. has anyone suggested a class-action lawsuit? the nbrc is claiming to be a non-profit orginazation. where then i ask is all of this money going to?????? i think if enough people are brought together with a lawsuit to challenge the ability of the nbrc to revoke the credentials of a healthcare worker because of $$$$$$$$$$ the practice may change. Nobody there could answer any of my questions and could only say sorry. This nbrc needs to go. I dont need their credentials to work and will be the first to join in on a class-action lawsuit. Everybody must recredential or noone does! you too susan. thats the problem most people. they just suck it up and bow their head and let people kick them around. sad. truly sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Birmingham, Michigan

65 months ago

I'm curious as to when someone is going to sue the NBRC for usury. There's a lawyer out there somewhere who could make a very compelling case. To start with, the NBRC doesn't have a "continuing education program" as they offer no education - this is a simple case of, "if you don't pay me, I'm gonna break your legs (aka, take away your credential).

Secondly, most state licensure laws only require successful completion of the entry level exam. They do not specify "CRT" or "RRT" because the NBRC has trademarked those credentials and thus cannot be used in licensure law. How nice.

Finally, we already have the highest fees per salary ratio in the health care industry. Now new grads have to pay an additional $125 to the NBRC to buy back a credential on top of the CEUs required for state licensure?

I've been a card carrying member of the NBRC for many, many years. But not any more.

LaDonna S in Sturgis, South Dakota

65 months ago

Kelly in Birmingham, Michigan said: I'm curious as to when someone is going to sue the NBRC for usury. There's a lawyer out there somewhere who could make a very compelling case. To start with, the NBRC doesn't have a "continuing education program" as they offer no education - this is a simple case of, "if you don't pay me, I'm gonna break your legs (aka, take away your credential).

Secondly, most state licensure laws only require successful completion of the entry level exam. They do not specify "CRT" or "RRT" because the NBRC has trademarked those credentials and thus cannot be used in licensure law. How nice.

Finally, we already have the highest fees per salary ratio in the health care industry. Now new grads have to pay an additional $125 to the NBRC to buy back a credential on top of the CEUs required for state licensure?

I've been a card carrying member of the NBRC for many, many years. But not any more.[/QUOT

The AARC is at least giving free CEU's to members now, I just wish the NBRC would verify all licences for applicants who apply for other state licenses, this only seems fair instead of paying each state, something to earn the $125.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bubbles92399 in Placerville, California

65 months ago

LaDonna S in Sturgis, South Dakota said:

I agree that the NBRC needs to be taken to court. I have not lost my credentialing however, I have now lost my RRT eligibility because I was unable to come up with the $390.00 RRT exam fee before February 4th and the deadline was February 28th. I paid the fee on the 4th and then was told that I had to mail official transcripts to them because they didn't have my course hours listed. I was credentialed by the NBRC in 2003 and now all of the sudden they don't have my course hours??? I was told that I had to get a sealed envelope containing official transcripts from the school that I attended. By way of luck, I had actually requested my transcripts from them last year and had an unopened official copy. I next-day mailed them to the NBRC on February 5th. I was told that someone would contact me to schedule my RRT exam. They didn't. I called them back on the 10th and was told that it hadn't been updated in the system and that someone would be contacting me. They didn't. I called back on the 23rd and was told again that it hadn't been updated in their system. I told them that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. I was told that they would have to look into it and call me back. They didn't. February 28th passed. I called back spoke to an extremely rude representative who told me that it was my own fault and that there was nothing she could do and again that a supervisor would call me back. I asked why I had not at least received a refund and she had no answer other than that I needed to keep checking the mail. I have not been contacted by ANYONE and have NOT received a refund. I called again today and have now been told that I have to submit a written request for the refund of my $390.00 and that I could fax it to them but they were leaving for the holiday and nobody would look at my request until Tuesday. I was told (in a very rude manner) that I can't even apply the funds to the NPS exam!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I can understand applying the new regulations to people who have not yet began or graduated the program, but I graduated the program in 2002 with the understanding that I needed to pass my CRT and keep my CEU's current and that the RRT would always be an option to me. Why is it acceptable for that to be taken away? If they are going to put a deadline on something that is so important they should not be allowed to charge $390.00 just to take the test! Also, I would like to know why some people are "grandfathered" and others are not? Is that discriminatory? What was the deciding factor on choosing the year 2002?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jmray69 in Vernon Hills, Illinois

65 months ago

Hi, I'm back again after a long period of bitterness and anger towards the NBRC. I took the exam before christmas and passed, it was difficult I must say, even after studying for months. I feel like nothing I studied in the kettering study program was on the test!! But I digress, I passed, and that is good. However the NBRC proceded to take WEEKS to "put it into the system", something that should have taken two days... and so I was unemployed for an additional three weeks. I've never ever received my certificate of passing the exam, fortunately the agency and the hospitals I work for were content with it being in the computer and my test results sheet. Everyone is asking me when I'm taking the RRT, and well- I won't. I refuse. It's really too bad, as I was really a supporter of taking CEUs voluntarily, continuing to take board exams, to become a better practitioner. But now, I despise the NBRC and the people that work there. They could not have been ruder, they made things difficult at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY!!! As said, they took two months to process my name address and credit card number. And now they will say they have given me information and notice on the RRT exam that I apparently only have three years to take, but as said, they haven't even sent me a SIngle solitary THING!!! (Just like they hadn't all along, when they said they had!) Ugh, I am soooo filled with disgust.
Listen, if anyone, and I mean anyone decides to go up against these jerk-offs, please let me know immediately, I will be on the first plane out to help make the case. And for all of you that are dealing with the NBRC right now, waiting for them to process some everlasting bit of paper, just bite your tongue and deal- because they will make your life more miserable and make you wait longer if you "give them any lip." Believe me, I lost my job, my home, three months of my life, and a lot of money to the NBRC-
take good care jennifer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

sorry to hear about your nightmare. i emailed the president of nbrc and expressed my thoughts to her. she couldn't even email me back. she had to have her assistant do it and her 'assistant' didn't even answer my questions. i'm lucky i live in a state that does not require a liscence. i will not give them one more penny if i can help it. i've heard about a group of therapists in arizona at st. josephs hospital that is filing a formal complaint against the nbrc. i'm trying to get more details. i think rt's should group together and form a union and be done with these crooked modern day theifs once and for all. i too will be on board with any legal action that will be brought forth to this fraudulant so called 'non-profit orginization'. may shame be brought upon them.

65 months ago

Thanks mike! I'll continue to research it, and talk to people around me and on the net. Someone should begin legislation that requires the board to give one test only- the RRT- to registry eligible/educated therapists. All other therapists who took the boards prior to this should be grandfathered in. It's such nonsense that we have two board exams, that they should cost so much to respiratory therapists who, across the board, make less money than other practitioners. And the NBRC needs to stop being so ambiguous and vague about what their requirements are. All notifications should be sent in an envelope with an official letter,and grace periods should be given on things as important as licensure and certification.Notices and certificates on the part of the NBRC need to be sent and filed in a timely manner to the recipients. Finally, they need to get some new employees, their current employees are beyond rude, argumentative, and not aware of their own policies! The first NBRC representative I spoke with told me that I had three years to retake my boards, and then they would file with the state of illinois and take my license away!!! (something they have absolutely no jurisdiction over!)
so, lets keep our fingers crossed that the NBRC somehow repents, and in the meantime, I will continue to work towards change. thanks for all of your help, jen

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

hey jen good points. i just spoke with an old friend working in san jose and guess what? he told me when he first talked to somebody at the nbrc about taking his rrt he was told he needed more education to qualify. so he couldn't believe it but to comply with their demands he spent 12 thousand..yes thousand.. to obtain the credits they were looking for. when he finished he spoke to two other people there and the second told him "i hate to be the one to tell you this but you were already qualified. somebody had punched in the wrong code under your name". can you believe this???? he told me he thought about suing but had grown so tired and was so pissed he just let it go. i stronly urged him to take the matter back up. he is an asst. manager and told me quite a few employees of his are having big problems with them also. i will also help spread the word and hopefully we can get some change instead of hanging our heads and just doing what were told by these clowns...like susan had suggested. good luck with everything and keep me posted. take care..stay strong! mike

65 months ago

Ugh, unbelievable!!! Well, I'm going to start with the better business bureau anyhow, at least they will start getting a rating! I don't suppose I'll ever get my certificate now! LOL! Will you do the same, Mike? Or have your friend do it, too? And for other readers, if the NBRC has screwed you, pleaaaasssseee, lets write a letter- it only takes a few minutes. It occurs to me- if they screw up all of our paperwork and their OWN policies and procedures, it makes me wonder if their board exams are graded correctly- who's to know? I think across the board, therapists feel like the AARC works for them and is an upstanding corporation, its too bad they aren't in charge of our board exams...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

yes! that's a great idea. i wish i would have thought about that a long time ago. i will let everyone i know who shares our point of view do the same and see how far that takes it. don't worry about the reprocussions (spelling?). they will only make themselves look worse by trying. sounds like some peoples cases might even go to their states attorney general..especially my friend. thanks for the good suggestion. i'll spread the word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

jmray69 in Vernon Hills, Illinois said:
....Listen, if anyone, and I mean anyone decides to go up against these jerk-offs, please let me know immediately, I will be on the first plane out to help make the case. And for all of you that are dealing with the NBRC right now, waiting for them to process some everlasting bit of paper, just bite your tongue and deal- because they will make your life more miserable and make you wait longer if you "give them any lip." Believe me, I lost my job, my home, three months of my life, and a lot of money to the NBRC-
take good care jennifer

As an FYI: you may want to contact the Florida and Texas Societies for Respiratory Care - they have officially launched complaints to the AARC about the NBRC "continuing competency program".

65 months ago

jmray69 in Vernon Hills, Illinois said: Thanks mike! I'll continue to research it, and talk to people around me and on the net. Someone should begin legislation that requires the board to give one test only- the RRT- to registry eligible/educated therapists...

As an FYI, the AARC has been pushing to dump the CRT. However, there are still five programs left in the U.S. who are CRT-only...which is holding the rest of the nation hostage. My understanding is, CoARC is working with these schools to phase them out and 1 of these programs will be phased out next year. That leaves four to go...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

thats great news these boards are filing complaints. i hope the others will join in and stop this nonsense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

Does this apply in Houston Texas?
Im really worried about it..

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

it does mike, it affects every r.t. nationwide. everyone needs to get involved and spread the word that this organization is destroying alot of hard working americans lives and not thinking twice about it. a non-profit organization whos claim they are looking out for r.t.s but charging outrageous amounts of money to make them pay up or they will take away your hard earned credentials. too many people have been wronged by this organization and it needs to stop....now! voice your opinions and concerns to your state boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

bubbles92399 in Woodland, California

65 months ago

I still have not received a telephone call, a letter or a check from the NBRC. I faxed my written request for my $390 on Friday 4/10.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hippa in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

64 months ago

Susan D. in Louisville, Kentucky said: I hate to sound harsh here, and I have friends who for whatever reason, also failed to recredential in time and had to retake their board exams. I'm sure they will not make that mistake again. Our profession, just like every other allied health field is ever changing. It is important to keep up with what is happening in the field and to be an active member of our professional organizations. You can't work without a valid CPR card, a valid and active state license, or credentials. Why are you attempting to blame the NBRC for your failure to renew your credentials as required?

Good luck on your board exams. If you have kept up with the latest advances and standards of care in the field, you should have no problem passing them.

You are being a bit harsh. I also was one of the ones who lost my credentials. First of all, NOBODY told me that paying a fee and turning in credentials to the NBRC wich was seperate from the state NBRC was a requierment. And, when I asked my boss about it expiring, she did not know anything about it. But, how come my boss allways knew when my CPR card and state licences was about to expire???? Because of internet access. Then, why did the red flag not appear that my NBRC card was about to expire!!!! Also, how come the state medical board is not connected with the NBRC? I have moved several times in the past five years, and I have allways reported an address change to keep my state licences, but never to the NBRC because I did not realize the were not connected! I worked for three months without credentials all because they do not have a good system. Somehow the little post card fianly made it to my new address. And when I called them, the first lady "who works for the NBRC" told me I would HAVE to retake the exam along with paying them something like 500$. The next day, after pure insanity and devestation, my mother called the NBRC back to see if there was anything I could do to keep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

from retaking the boards and paying so much money that I did not have, and this lady happend to know a little more than the first one; she said, "Well, you have six months to get your CEU's in, but, you still have to pay 250$." I DEFINATELY THINK IT'S A BIG SCAM! AND IF IT'S THE NEW RULE, ALL THERAPIST SHOULD HAVE TO OBIDE BY IT!!!!!!!!!!! Atleast the NBRC should be connected with the states!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

hippa in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: from retaking the boards and paying so much money that I did not have, and this lady happend to know a little more than the first one; she said, "Well, you have six months to get your CEU's in, but, you still have to pay 250$." I DEFINATELY THINK IT'S A BIG SCAM! AND IF IT'S THE NEW RULE, ALL THERAPIST SHOULD HAVE TO OBIDE BY IT!!!!!!!!!!! Atleast the NBRC should be connected with the states!!! Even the active members of our professional organizations did not know exactly what was going on. I was not informed when I received my NBRC card, nobody told me in school, and even the people who make sure every thing is up-to-date, did not know about this change! Good thing it did not happen to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

You know, this deal with the non-profit organization SCAM, is litteraly ruining people's lives!!!! It actually makes me not want to be a Respiratory Therapist. It just realy pisses me off. ~people living in cars, loosing houses, major financial issues, divorces, loosing hard earned careers~ What is their deal? Do they not care what they are doing to innocent people. I think a few days in jail would be better. I wonder how loaded is the person who came up with that crazy idea.

64 months ago

Requested my money back on April 10th and have not heard one word from them! Scam, scam, scam! They are very quick to penalize others for not paying them but it's a whole different story when it's them who owe! I will be calling them on Monday. I'll bet that they're going to tell me that they never received my letter. I have confirmation though. I also reported them to the Better Business Bureau. This is ridiculous. Our economy sucks and here they are adding to the stress of hard working people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

64 months ago

good for you on reporting them. they are scammers and need to be stopped. i wrote to the president and she couldn't even reply back to me herself. i got some pre-typed memo from her assistant. what a way to do business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

64 months ago

it's all a part of their dirty little tactics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

64 months ago

susan hates to sound so harsh because this did not affect her in any way, shape, or form. it's easy to be so critical of others when you have not been through the misery they have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in North Versailles, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

i too have lost my RRT credential. I received a post card 6 months prior informing me to enter my CEUS... I did this. However you have to go in 90 days prior to expiry to hit another button to recert. Now they want 250.00 to recert.. what is this money even for??? I have spoke to several people and just now faxed a letter.
If you don't pay your dues to them the will send 2nd and 3rd notices but for something as important as your credintals you get nothing from them!!! It seems it is just a way to make money.

Sweet RT in California

63 months ago

HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just entered this particulay subject by chance and now am sooooooooooooooooooo glad I did! I had NO idea about this. I did wonder why they had expirations and had always asked but everyone always said it didnt matter. It has not affected my 7 yrs. yet and there is no Q. on our state renewals that applies to our credentialing with the NBRC. So WTF!!!!

THANK YOU for bringing this subject to all of our attention. Those of us who had absolutely NO idea are forever in your debt JMRay!!!

I am typing this as I am getting ready to start my 3am rounds and have just showed a few of my extraordinary coworkers who have graduated around the same time in 2002. Our jaws are on the floor in complete shock. Even our newbies had NO idea about this rule.

I am speechless now.

Craig in Midlothian, Texas

63 months ago

Wow what a mess. I started as an orderly with oxygen duties in the mid 70's came back and credentialed in the field in 95 and have been registered since 96. I admit when it comes to the NBRC, I haven't kept up but this over regulation is abysmal. The nurses don't recredential in this manner and they make an average 10g more than us for the same education level. Respiratory is Just as specialized. If I had to deal with a neonate now, I would have to spend weeks in review and preparation. I do adult critical care and some floor and ER. I keep up with my specialty but not with the other areas. We have extensive protocals including ventilator management and weaning where I work and as far as adults are concearned I believe it is the closest thing to the exam that I took that you can get in the real world. It is a shame that the field is comming to this. I was considering adding the NBRC's sleep study credential. Forget it. They are not a group that I wish to be associated with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

No kidding, craig! I HATE that I'm only a CRT now, after having already been a CRT and an RRT, and all my lab coats say RRT on them, which is now not true. I hate it sooo much, but I will not pay the NBRC another dime. Did you know that I took the CRT before the NBRC's change of law? By making myself better and taking the RRT, (and giving the NBRC more money), I screwed myself.
Anyhow, my dissapointment in the Respiratory Field has led me to look towards doing other things, and today I officially started my own business and opened up my new company's bank account. Sooo, maybe it was a good thing that the NBRC screwed me!! Now I know how easily I can be taken advantage of by certain governing bodies, and I will work soooo hard to not be under their power and make my own thing work. (Although I guess I will always have higher powers, IE the IRS!! )
Just know, that if you take any additional board exams, all of your credentials will be under the new CEU recredentialing rules, and that you will have to pay them $25 per year (or $125 when you recredential every five years). Jerrrkkkkkksssss!! Why should we better ourselves?? And you're right, the nurses in my state just started last year having to do CEU's for their state license! Unbelievable what they have gotten away with! And yes, all of my aunts are nurses and they all make 15 to 20 grand more than me, with the same amount of schooling clinicals, etc (Although I'm glad I didn't become a nurse, I like the anonymity (sp) of being by myself while I work and not having to stay with the same patient for 8-12 hours. and I can't deal with vomit and poop!)
So, I would say, stick with your current credentials unless it becomes absolutely necessary to add to them, and push for the AARC to lead us, or at least make all respiratory therapists comply with this stupid thing- it's not fair that it's just new therapists that have to re-credential. (I can hear all the old therapists screaming right now!!! haaaa!)

63 months ago

oh, sweet rt- I just read your comments... soooo glad I could help out, LOL! Too bad it isn't like on a referral basis or something, and I could rack up NBRC credits, LOL!
Seriously, though, the first thing that happened when I found out I'd lost my credentials was this guy from the NBRC SCREAMING at me, "You knew when you first got your credentials that you had to do this!! It plainly stated it on your Welcome/Acceptance letter!!" I told him he was full of crap and that my letter said NO SUCH THING about CEUs or anything like it, and I know I wasn't the only one. And as you've said, I walked around for many years asking everyone, why is there an expiration date on my card and not on yours?? Everyone said, "don't worry, it doesn't apply to you" or "don't worry, as long as you get your state CEUs, they are the same thing" or "what are you talking about?" Even now, I say to all sorts of therapists,and they all do the jaw drop or tell me I'm nuts or tell me that of course you have to get CEUs for your state license (UGH!! that one bugs me the most! I do and did get all my ceu's ALWAYS every year and more than are necessary!!)
I wish someone had enough money to sue the blank out of the NBRC for negligence!
And I just received my certificate from the NBRC (SIX MONTHS later than my exam!!! And only received after I called three times and screamed at them!), it's really handy that they can take their sweet time sending and notifying us (or in my case not sending or notifying!), but we'd better be right on top of it or risk losing everything, and believe me it is everything.
Well, I digress, we've all heard this psychodrama from me before, and honestly, I am glad that I could help out my fellow rt's by having posted it.
All RTs credentialed on or after November 2002-Remember that you have to type in your CEU's to the NBRC online like 90 days BEFORE your credential expiration date, okaydokay? good luck to all, jen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

63 months ago

we NEED to hold these crooks accountable!!!!! can anyone get a petition going online????

63 months ago

I don't know mike, how? where? I wish I knew how to do something about this, and I soooo don't have the time or money to dedicate the energy and money that needs to be dedicated to it! but at the same time, I still feel ripped off and cheated everytime I put on my lab coat or sign my charting at the hospital. And it's a shame that it continues to happen to other therapists.
I mentioned that I just got my certificate, right? Well, the letter that came with my card (which came two weeks later) CLEARLY states what I need to do to keep my credentials- that I need to pay each year or at my re-credential every five years, how many ceu's I need, blah blah. TOO BAD that the letter I got with my RRT did't say anything like this one!!
But I do NOT have any idea of how to turn this around, except the better business bureau letter, and to write to the AARC and ISRC (I haven't done the latter two, but will try to cut out some time to do so this week). Does anyone have any ideas???

63 months ago

Oh, and one more thing- I'll feel so pissed off having to send in another $125 every five years- how can they make membership to a respiratory board MANDATORY??? We already have to pay like $180 to our state licensing board every two years, now this...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Midlothian, Texas

63 months ago

Hi:

The nbrc's new specialty credential for sleep study is a competing credential with the American Association of Sleep Technologist's organization. They dropped the ball there too and didn't fill the need. So the AAST's Credential is the one people seem to be looking for. So RRT's who are considereing going into it have to go back to school for a basic course and then do a ceu program whether they take the nbrc's exam or the AAST's. Of course, the in classroom portion is expensive but some of the junior colleges down here are looking into teaching it more cost effectively.

Cogratulations on your new business. I hope it goes well for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

63 months ago

i am going to ask my brother who is computer literate to help me start an online petition we can email around. i would really love to start a webpage but dont have the $$ for that. i will contact him and keep you all updated.

penny well in shreveport, Louisiana

63 months ago

THE NBRC IS SO UNFAIR, I GRADUATED IN 2005 I PASSED MY CRT THE FIRST TIME.
THE LAST THREE YEARS WERE DIFFICULT TIME FOR ME & MY FAMILY. I PUT OFF TAKING THE RRT EXAM . I TOOK THE WRITTEN TEST PASSED IT AND MISSED THE SIMS BY 1%. I TOOK THE SIMS MAY THE 9TH WHICH WAS MY 3 YEAR DEADLINE. I HAVE WRITTEN LETTERS,WROTE AN APEAL EVEN HAD AN ATTORNEY WRITE A LETTER. THEY WILL NOT LET
ME TAKE THE SIMS AGAIN. THEY WANT ME TO TAKE THE CRT OVER AND RETAKE THE WRITTEN TEST TO BE ELGIBLE TO TAKE THE SIMS TEST OVER. THIS IS SO UNFAIR AND SHOULD NOT EVEN BE LEGAL SOME ONE IS GETTING RICH OFF HARD WORKING PEOPLE.WE
NEED LEADERSHIP A NEW BOARD SOME ONE FRESH AND NEW. WE NEED A PETITION SENT TO
THE CONGRESS AND MAYBE TO THE PRESIDENT. THIS IS OUR PROFESSION AND WE NEED TO
HAVE THE RIGHT LEADERSHIP. THIS NEW SYSTEM THEY HAVE IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

THANKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

JMRay - you had credentials that had an expiration date. You went around the hospital asking people what they meant. Those people you were asking, how did you decide the were qualified to know what they meant? The proper thing to do would have been to go to the website for your field, look for the information; or go to the website and sent them an e-mail to ask. You failed to do either, yet you are complaining here about something that is entirely your own fault.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

penny well in shreveport, Louisiana

63 months ago

PAST PRACTICE I SAY IF YOU HAVE ALREADY PASS THE CRT YEARS AGO BEEN WORKING,PAST THE WRITTEN PART OF THE RRT. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS PLAIN AND
SIMPLE MONEY. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL I KNOW NURSE XRAY TECHS NO ONE DO THIS
BUT THE NBRC. WE NEED TO START A MOVEMENT NATIONWIDE GIVE REASON AND PURPOSES
FOR THE CHANGES. EVERY STATE REQUIRES 10 CEUS A YEAR IF YOU HAVE ACTIVE LICENSE
YOU HAVE TO HAVE CEU 10 CEUS EVERY YEAR. THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH. WHY MAKE
AN RT TAKE TEST OVER THEY HAVE ALREADY PASS. PLEASE THIS IS NOT RIGHT. RT ARE THE BACKBONE IN THE HOSPITAL. RRT AND CRT DO THE SAME WORK ON THE JOB.
THERE SHOULD BE ONE CREDENTIALS ONE TEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Mary in Tampa- I'm so tired of people like you making judgement calls on something you know absolutely nothing about. I didn't look at the NBRCs website because I DIDNT KNOW I HAD TO. I had already taken the CRT, The RRT, received my certificates and moved on with my life. WHY doesnt the burden fall on the NBRC to notify its credentialed practitioners????
If your drivers license suddenly required you to take a driving test every year, wouldn't they have to notify you? Or do you check the DMVs website every year to see if there have been any changes???
And do you think thats fair punishment that I should lose my job, pay over $1000, etc BECAUSE I DIDNT THINK TO CHECK A WEBSITE??
So, please, I paid for my CRIME, so just keep comments to yourself. We're trying to change the way that the NBRC goes about doing business- because it isn't fair or right, and screws the vey people that support it. Why am I required to make membership payment every year to the NBRC- but you are not? Why are we only allowed to take the RRT in three years, but you have forever? Why did the NBRC get to take BOTH of my credentials away when it was only taking the RRT exam that put me under the new laws??This organization has to answer to someone, it cannot just make vague dodgy laws and expect us to be psychic in knowing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RC in Georgetown, Texas

63 months ago

penny well in shreveport, Louisiana said: THE NBRC IS SO UNFAIR, I GRADUATED IN 2005 I PASSED MY CRT THE FIRST TIME.
THE LAST THREE YEARS WERE DIFFICULT TIME FOR ME & MY FAMILY. I PUT OFF TAKING THE RRT EXAM . I TOOK THE WRITTEN TEST PASSED IT AND MISSED THE SIMS BY 1%. I TOOK THE SIMS MAY THE 9TH WHICH WAS MY 3 YEAR DEADLINE. I HAVE WRITTEN LETTERS,WROTE AN APEAL EVEN HAD AN ATTORNEY WRITE A LETTER. THEY WILL NOT LET
ME TAKE THE SIMS AGAIN. THEY WANT ME TO TAKE THE CRT OVER AND RETAKE THE WRITTEN TEST TO BE ELGIBLE TO TAKE THE SIMS TEST OVER. THIS IS SO UNFAIR AND SHOULD NOT EVEN BE LEGAL SOME ONE IS GETTING RICH OFF HARD WORKING PEOPLE.WE
NEED LEADERSHIP A NEW BOARD SOME ONE FRESH AND NEW. WE NEED A PETITION SENT TO
THE CONGRESS AND MAYBE TO THE PRESIDENT. THIS IS OUR PROFESSION AND WE NEED TO
HAVE THE RIGHT LEADERSHIP. THIS NEW SYSTEM THEY HAVE IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

THANKS.

Start the petition and I'll be happy to sign it. The NBRC practices really need to be looked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.