So lets hear the truth, is respiratory therapy really a good job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 444)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

K7779 in Bothell, Washington

61 months ago

I want to be a respiratory therapist but everyone keeps asking me why? what do they do? so any respiratory therapists out there, what is the answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

sometimes i breathe in Baltimore, Maryland

61 months ago

Please don't decide RN over respiratory because of the money.

I love my job but then again, I've only been working as a full RT since July. I feel bad for the RN's I work with sometimes...especially if they have a burn victim.

Respect is something you earn. The ones that complain about the lack of respect most likely won't work for it.

And nobody on their death bed ever says "Damn. I wish I made more money."

sometimesibreathe.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Karenlg12 in Descanso CA in Descanso, California

61 months ago

MarisaL in San Diego, California said: I'm here to say, DON'T do RN, do respiratory therapy! Why? Because RN's have to deal with so much more abuse and crap that RT's don't. And the pay difference staring out can be pretty close. The only problem you might have is the market being so flooded with new grads that it might be hard to find a job. At least that's the case here in Southern California.

To MarisaL in San Diego, CA,
I am very interested in starting school for RT but am worried about the job market for SD. I see lots of threads about different parts of US but very seldom for SD. After three years and lots of education expense in the program I am worried that there will not be jobs in SD. Your opinion?? Are you a working RT? Hospital or ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

rtstudent in IL in Washington, Illinois

61 months ago

Jim is right you might have to relocate. You can also check for government jobs as well. Like at a VA hospital or clinic. If your near a military base they us RT's as well. There is also the chance to work in home health as well. I read on these boards from the folks in Cali. that they can't find a job but I think those people are not willing to move. My class has 23 people in it and one of the 2 medical centers nearby have 11 openings. That's just for the RT department. There are also a few home health companies here that are looking for RT's as well. The jobs are there you just have to look for them.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Spencer Selph in Thomaston, Georgia

61 months ago

My workforce development appointment has been rescheduled for tomorrow. This information has been very helpful. My wife and I are cargivers for my elderly parents. Relocation is out of the question for me.Occupationaql and Physical Therapy seems to be in demand in this area more as there are no close schools that offer this study.The one OT that is working with my parents went to Augusta to Georgia Medical college. That is 4 hours one way. The closest is in Atlanta, about 1 1/2 hours away. I thought about the LPN program but I have some neuropathy in my hands and feet(diabetic) so I don't know if that would be a problem in my clinicals with checking pulses. So I don't know which would be the best route to take. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

darshna in Pittsburg, Texas

61 months ago

HI any one can tell me the school for RT in Tx such as around dallas? I want to be a respiratory therapist? can anyone can give me the more infor about this? what they requ and all that thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rtstudent in IL in Winslow, Indiana

61 months ago

Here is a link for Respiratory info:
www.aarc.org/career/be_an_rt/index.cfm

Here is a link of 2 year programs around the country:
www.coarc.com/documents/new/CoARC%20Accredited%20Programs%20-%20100%20&%20200.pdf

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

frustrated in Richmond, Texas

61 months ago

K7779 in Bothell, Washington said: Dude my point was... Why is respiratory a good career path. I know why I want to do it. I just want some positive feedback about being a respiratory therapist. Are you a therapist? why did you choose this path. Do you love your job? or are you like 85% of the people on these forums saying "don't do respiratory be a RN...I would never choose this path again,Respiratory therapists get NO respect and don't get paid as well as a nurse."

do not go in to RT!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

k7779 in Bothell, Washington

60 months ago

thanks! I'm glad to hear you like being a respiratory therapist. What do you like about it? do you work in a hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Erny in Baltimore, Maryland

60 months ago

hann in Baltimore, Maryland said: Go for it! RT's Rock!

If you do not mind how much do RT make in Maryland starting out? Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia

58 months ago

I don't answer them if they say "hey, respiratory" or "hey, breathing guy". I just look at them and keep doing what I am doing until they call me by name. Seriously. Try calling them by saying "hey, nurse". See how they like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

HBxC in Boynton Beach, Florida

57 months ago

I have been an RT for 23 years, and all I can say; is wait till Obama Care gets a hold of this field and disintegrates it like a roman candle on the fourth of july; yep, nursing will wish they had respected us. The bean counters upstairs in administration, and finance are clueless....let them get out there one day, and intubate someone, draw gases, suction a child, perform cpr....and the list goes on.
THEY ARE ALL LIVING in Lah, lah, land. BECOME ANY THING BUT A RESPIRATORY THERAPIST.......VERY SORRY TO HAVE TO SPEAK THIS SOLEMN TRUTH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

burnt out in Genoa, Arkansas

57 months ago

I beieve you are right about this. At the critical access hospital i worked at for 3 years called to tell me out of the blue, that i did not have a job anymore, they SHUT DOWN our department with absolutely no notice, laid off all the respiratory therapists,it was shocking! this happened in a small town in east texas. yucky administration trying to cut costs for their hospital, and they made the nurses do all respiratory interventions and duties, from intubation to bipap,anyone out there thinking about it had better rethink the field, it could be wiped out suddenly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

HAJipson in Baltimore, Maryland

57 months ago

Way to go...Doomsday Responders. Some of us are presently enjoying the work we have right now. Yeah, it could get worse, but so could everything else. Go for it! You can switch to a different field now or you can wait, finish a 2year degree and start working, and then get into something else. It's a quick start into the medical field. There are offshoots to the respiratory program too, you know...Sleep studies....CPAP's are selling like crazy right now...Pulmonary Function Testing.
However, God forbid we should put the NBRC out of business...They're counting on all of the new RT's to bring in that $25 fee per year! It's not mandatory of course, but you have to file your CEU's with them, therefore, you have to be a member...but not active...but if you don't pay the $125 in 5 years you become inactive....and you can't file the CEU's...and then you have a license without a credential....which makes you unable to get a license, which makes it.....kind of mandatory! Oh....then you have to retake the tests...for a few hundred $$$$ of fees! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

RASL in Dundalk, Maryland

53 months ago

Erny in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello I am from Baltimore Maryland and I am applying for the ccbc RT program this Fall 2010. Can someone from Bmore tell me about the jobs, salary and the procedure far as getting your Lic. Thank You

Hello I am a Respiratory Therapist from Baltimore Md. and attended Bccc. The job isnt that bad and the pay is good. Dont listen to people telling you that Nurses make more money.Not always true. Many Therapist that I know have made (including myself) $100,000+ yrly. with over time, unfortunatly the recession is effecting many jobs now including Health care Respiratory and Nursing alike. But go for it, its a cool job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Erny in Baltimore, Maryland

53 months ago

RASL in Dundalk, Maryland said: Hello I am a Respiratory Therapist from Baltimore Md. and attended Bccc. The job isnt that bad and the pay is good. Dont listen to people telling you that Nurses make more money.Not always true. Many Therapist that I know have made (including myself) $100,000+ yrly. with over time, unfortunatly the recession is effecting many jobs now including Health care Respiratory and Nursing alike. But go for it, its a cool job.

Thank You so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RASL in Essex, Maryland

53 months ago

As I stated earlier Respiratory Therapist can make 100,000+ WITH OVER TIME. Im not talking about the lower South states, Im referring to Maryland and the upper states. The lower south states dont pay well be it Respiratory or Nursing. The ficility that I work at pays 26.50 for CRT's and 28.50 for RRT's and 45.00 for overtime bonus.10,000 sign on bonus for two year contracts. Nursing does pay well with overtime and BSN or MSN.Most agencies in Maryland start at 30.00 and up for CRT and RRT. If your working only 3 days a week for 12 hours that leaves a lot of days to do over time...u do the math. This is the misconception that people have about respiratory and nursing. They both go to school for the same amount of time, they take the same pre reqs. Respiratory Therapist make good money with less crap. Get your facts right... Thank You! (28.50x72+ 2,050.00( reg. time) + 45x36+ 1620(overtime) 2,050+1,620= 3,670 x 2= 7340 a month (88,080) a year. this is with only 2 days of over time a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Victorville, California

53 months ago

RASL in Essex, Maryland said: As I stated earlier Respiratory Therapist can make 100,000+ WITH OVER TIME. Im not talking about the lower South states, Im referring to Maryland and the upper states. The lower south states dont pay well be it Respiratory or Nursing. The ficility that I work at pays 26.50 for CRT's and 28.50 for RRT's and 45.00 for overtime bonus.10,000 sign on bonus for two year contracts. Nursing does pay well with overtime and BSN or MSN.Most agencies in Maryland start at 30.00 and up for CRT and RRT. If your working only 3 days a week for 12 hours that leaves a lot of days to do over time...u do the math. This is the misconception that people have about respiratory and nursing. They both go to school for the same amount of time, they take the same pre reqs. Respiratory Therapist make good money with less crap. Get your facts right... Thank You! (28.50x72+ 2,050.00( reg. time) + 45x36+ 1620(overtime) 2,050+1,620= 3,670 x 2= 7340 a month (88,080) a year. this is with only 2 days of over time a week.

I have to back you up on this. Believe it or not but there is this one RT who work at Redlands, who made $150,000 last year. He told me he worked 5-6 days a week.It was very hard to believe, but it was the truth.The Therapist starts off $30+ an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fritz in Abbeville, South Carolina

53 months ago

Ok, how was I wrong? You say two days of overtime at the rate you quote will earn 88,080, that means 3 days regular time plus two days overtime that equals 5 days, and you are still not at that 100,000 + so to get there you need to tack on a couple more days. My point is this, you have to work a lot of time to make that, regardless of where you live!! I am not saying it cannot happen, but there are very few therapists that put that kind of time in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

RASL in Essex, Maryland

53 months ago

Ok this is the last time that I will reply to u, I just want you to understand that you do not know what you are talking about and do not try to discourage others. I am a therapist in Maryland and many therapist do put in those hours. Listen, 3 days a week is the normal shift here. 12 hours times 3 for a normal 2 week pay is 72 hours. That leaves a lot of time for over time. What is it to work 5 days a week. thats nothing. if some works 2 days over time each week, thats 48 hours of over time per pay check and you still have days off. What are you saying. Many Therapist work like that each and every day. Down south the pay for therapist is around 18.00 to 20.00. nursing is a little more. the cost of living is not that high down there, common sense. New york therapist can make up to 50.00 an hour, again cost of living. I work every day and I know what I make compared to others around me and we are all doing pretty well. Stop debating me about what I do everyday. No more replies. Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

53 months ago

Fritz in Abbeville, South Carolina said: Ok, how was I wrong? You say two days of overtime at the rate you quote will earn 88,080, that means 3 days regular time plus two days overtime that equals 5 days, and you are still not at that 100,000 + so to get there you need to tack on a couple more days. My point is this, you have to work a lot of time to make that, regardless of where you live!! I am not saying it cannot happen, but there are very few therapists that put that kind of time in

Hi Fritz, Actually, experienced Respiratory Therapists earn higher salaries; many at $30.00/hour or higher.

$30.00 x 72 hours = $2,160.00/week
$2,160.00 x 4 weeks = $8,640.00/month
$8,640.00 x 12 months = $103,680.00/year......Without Overtime

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

53 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Fritz, Actually, experienced Respiratory Therapists earn higher salaries; many at $30.00/hour or higher.

$30.00 x 72 hours = $2,160.00/week
$2,160.00 x 4 weeks = $8,640.00/month
$8,640.00 x 12 months = $103,680.00/year......Without Overtime

Whoops!, Sorry about that.....Too much in a hurry. Wow, I really miss calculated. It would actually be $2,160.00/2 weeks, with an outcome of $51,840.00/year. You are correct Fritz a lot of overtime would be involved in order to earn this amount of income.
I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Victorville, California

53 months ago

This therapist at riverside community hospital also said him and a few of his friends also made over $100,000+ in a year. Riverside starts off at $36 an hour.He said all you need is 2 jobs and alot of therapist has 2 jobs. All that overtime and time and a half, ofcourse you can make that much. I am speaking for california therapist i dont know about other states. I even remember this 1 therapist that only works registery bringing home $500 a shift and $3000 a week. Plus the closer you work towards Los Angeles the more you get paid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

53 months ago

unknown in Victorville, California said: This therapist at riverside community hospital also said him and a few of his friends also made over $100,000+ in a year. Riverside starts off at $36 an hour.He said all you need is 2 jobs and alot of therapist has 2 jobs. All that overtime and time and a half, ofcourse you can make that much. I am speaking for california therapist i dont know about other states. I even remember this 1 therapist that only works registery bringing home $500 a shift and $3000 a week. Plus the closer you work towards Los Angeles the more you get paid

Wow, At $500.00($41.66/hour) a shift, this Respiratory Therapist is working 6, 12 hour shifts, totaling 72 hours a week to bring home $3,000.00 a week. In 2 weeks, that's a total of 144 hours(12, 12 hour shifts) to earn $6,000.00. Essentially working 2 Full Time jobs.

$6,000.00/2 weeks x 2 = $12,000.00/month
$12,000.00 x 12 months = $144,000.00/year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Victorville, California

53 months ago

Rolinda said: Wow, At $500.00($41.66/hour) a shift, this Respiratory Therapist is working 6, 12 hour shifts, totaling 72 hours a week to bring home $3,000.00 a week. In 2 weeks, that's a total of 144 hours(12, 12 hour shifts) to earn $6,000.00. Essentially working 2 Full Time jobs.

$6,000.00/2 weeks x 2 = $12,000.00/month
$12,000.00 x 12 months = $144,000.00/year

The one who made $500 a shift was working registry at Saint Bernardine in san bernardino making $3000 a week and thats all he did. The Asian guy who work at Redlands Community hospital was only working at that hospital 5-6 days a week and after a certain amount of hours it was considered either overtime or time and half, and he made $150,000 last year and he told me if he wanted to he could have made $200,000 that year. yes i agree its hard to believe but he have been working their for a while

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Victorville, California

53 months ago

U Have to also remember when u work night shifts, holidays, and weekends you make even more on top of your regular pay. Riverside Community starts off at $36hour
$36 x 12 = 432
432 x 3 days = 1296
$1296 x 1 month =$5184
$5184 x 1 year/12 months = $62208

say u also work at another hospital making the same, working 3 days a week
$62208 x 2 = $124416
The asian guy makes more than $36 an hour, plus he only works at Redlands community so after a certain amount of hours he gets paid overtime and made $150,000 last year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

53 months ago

unknown in Victorville, California said: U Have to also remember when u work night shifts, holidays, and weekends you make even more on top of your regular pay. Riverside Community starts off at $36hour
$36 x 12 = 432
432 x 3 days = 1296
$1296 x 1 month =$5184
$5184 x 1 year/12 months = $62208

say u also work at another hospital making the same, working 3 days a week
$62208 x 2 = $124416
The asian guy makes more than $36 an hour, plus he only works at Redlands community so after a certain amount of hours he gets paid overtime and made $150,000 last year

Yes, I realize the earning potential is there, but a Respiratory Therapist has to essentially work 2 Full Time jobs in order to make this amount of income. It's difficult when you're running during a shift. I'm exhausted after working 4, 12s. Kudos to those who can do it. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike b. in Fenton, Missouri

52 months ago

K7779 in Bothell, Washington said: I want to be a respiratory therapist but everyone keeps asking me why? what do they do? so any respiratory therapists out there, what is the answer?

therapist for 32 yrs. all of my rt friends have left the business yrs ago, lots of reasons , 1 to many patients to see in a shift ,, impossible,, so you have to protocall, which leads to many problems. Terrible retirement .

r.n have much more flex ability , many avenues, pay is poor for the work,,,, deal with life and death every day,,, minimal respect,,, and on and on ,, recommend not to do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mike b. in Fenton, Missouri

52 months ago

look at some of these other comments, i`ll bet they are newbees, fresh from school . Yes it is exciting at first, and when you are young, wait a couple of yrs and it wears off. Car accidents, shootings, burns, drug overdoses, stabbings, drownings, crushed, stabbed, shot, you name it,,, babys ,teens, parents etc ,,, everyday. You go numb to it and deal with it in your head in many ways ,,, but eventually it catches up to you. Do you want to work in a war zone EVERYDAY? One mistake and your job can be gone for good,Yes you can make money at it if you work your butt off,,,, suggest you do it while your young,,,and again there is no flexability in RT. RN or radiology has more going for it, in and out of hospitals. Now there you have it the bare bone truth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

52 months ago

No. 3
from kickmeiamanurse
Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Your frustrations won't change once you become a nurse.

I am outraged at how my facility uses one nurse to 120 residents (because someone called in sick and they don't replace the person) then the poor nurse trying to care for 120 people gets disciplined because a 15 minute check wasn't performed on a resident in the area where the nurse called in sick.

The facilities cannot keep staff because it's horrible and the ones that do stay are getting fired for missing something because they are given way too many patients to be able to care for them efficiently.

Pick something else for a career! My sister does Respiratory Therapy and is doing great! She makes better money than I do as an RN and is much happier. She doesn't have all the bull that Nurses are going through these days.

X ray is a great area to get into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

52 months ago

The comment I pasted above is from allnurses.com website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

52 months ago

Each experience is as unique as the individual. Every profession has positive as well as negative aspects. No job is perfect. I have enjoyed working in this field for 13 years. For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I like what I do. As a (RT)Respiratory Therapist, I work in an exciting field where I meet interesting people and learn something new every day. I work with a good employer whose priority is our patients. As a RT, I care for Hospital inpatients on the Floors and in the ER/ED, ICU, PICU, NICU,....etc. While working in our Clinic, I care for our outpatients, performing a variety of Comprehensive Pulmonary Function Tests, including Pulmonary Stress/Treadmill Exercises, Cold Air Challenges and Altitude Studies with or without Treadmill Exercises. I can also work in our Day Shift Sleep Clinic and our Night Shift Sleep Lab, helping patients with sleep disorders. My job offers the challenge, variety and flexibility I need to keep me interested and to continue growing both professionally and personally. RTs can work in Home Care and as transporters on Life Flight, as well as help lung and wound care patients by administering Hyperbaric Therapy. I work with an excellent team of providers and I know we RTs make a difference. Please everyone, research potential careers thoroughly and choose wisely. Remember, our current economy is effecting every profession and jobs are very difficult to find. Network. Keep the Faith, stay positive and never give up. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Good jouney everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sparkyswife in Dayton, Ohio

52 months ago

Hello Everyone,
Ive been a Respiratory Therapist for almost 3 yr's, and it has pros
and cons. The feild is very demanding and can be stressful alot of the
time,especially now,due to the economic situations. The pay starting out
is just a couple of dollars shy of a nurses pay,but we work alittle
harder than nurses do. When a Code happens the nurses pare like the red
sea,and the RT'S take over and get the job done. And one more thing what
is the big deal when a PT needs to be suction? because nurses freak out
when they need to suction a PT,but they can clean B.M. off someone with
no problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

RRTnewgrad in North Hollywood, California

52 months ago

I havent worked as a RT, still looking for a job but its tough out their so i cant say much about working as one but i will give some insight of what I experienced going through my clinical rotation. I do know for a fact that being an RT is a little bit cleaner job then being a nurse, that's why i choose RT because i wont touch anything below the belt on a patient. RT's have many patients to take care of in different units, depending who you are this may be bad or good. I enjoy moving around alot so this isnt an issue, while nurses usually have two patients to take care of all day and stay in one unit. Still both being a RT and RN is stressful job at time but rewarding, thats why you make the big bucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Fritz, Actually, experienced Respiratory Therapists earn higher salaries; many at $30.00/hour or higher.

$30.00 x 72 hours = $2,160.00/week
$2,160.00 x 4 weeks = $8,640.00/month
$8,640.00 x 12 months = $103,680.00/year......Without Overtime

72 hrs???? no overtime huh??? 72 hrs a week is actually 32 hrs of overtime! In almost most cases anything over 40 hrs is considered overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in San Diego, California

52 months ago

Brian in Orlando, Florida said: 72 hrs???? no overtime huh??? 72 hrs a week is actually 32 hrs of overtime! In almost most cases anything over 40 hrs is considered overtime.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Fritz, Actually, experienced Respiratory Therapists earn higher salaries; many at $30.00/hour or higher.
$30.00 x 72 hours = $2,160.00/week
$2,160.00 x 4 weeks = $8,640.00/month
$8,640.00 x 12 months = $103,680.00/year......Without Overtime

Whoops!, Sorry about that.....Too much in a hurry. Wow, I really miss calculated. It would actually be $2,160.00/2 weeks, with an outcome of $51,840.00/year. You are correct Fritz a lot of overtime would be involved in order to earn this amount of income.
I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RespTherapist in Wilmington, Delaware

51 months ago

I am a Respiratory Therpist, DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! And dont be an RN either. Pick something totally different out of health care. If you want to enjoy life and your job then dont do health care. Do something you will enjoy forever. I am misreable. I work 3 nights a week. 12 hours shifts. 7pm to 7am and it is EXHAUSTING!!!!!!! People say oh stop you only work 3 days a week. But they have no idea. On your day off after your 3 12's your sleeping the day away. On my days off i feel like crap. You will never get enough rest. If I had to do over again id pick a 9 to 5 job...normal hours...dont pick a career because of the money. Do yourself a favor and save yourself while you can. And take it from a real Respiratory Therapist, dont do it, I am 25 years old and I feel 50. Lifting patients, you will hurt your back, your legs and feet will hurt so bad by the end of the shift you just wanna pass out. Good luck and pick a different career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

51 months ago

RespTherapist in Wilmington, Delaware said: I am a Respiratory Therpist, DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! And dont be an RN either. Pick something totally different out of health care. If you want to enjoy life and your job then dont do health care. Do something you will enjoy forever. I am misreable. I work 3 nights a week. 12 hours shifts. 7pm to 7am and it is EXHAUSTING!!!!!!! People say oh stop you only work 3 days a week. But they have no idea. On your day off after your 3 12's your sleeping the day away. On my days off i feel like crap. You will never get enough rest. If I had to do over again id pick a 9 to 5 job...normal hours...dont pick a career because of the money. Do yourself a favor and save yourself while you can. And take it from a real Respiratory Therapist, dont do it, I am 25 years old and I feel 50. Lifting patients, you will hurt your back, your legs and feet will hurt so bad by the end of the shift you just wanna pass out. Good luck and pick a different career.

Tell me, please, exactly what "enjoyable" career field is hiring? People don't have the luxury to do something they love anymore. I love being an architect. That's certainly in demand these days.
I don't mean to sound gruff, but there are millions of people out there who wish they had a job that gave them sore feet and made them tired.

If you hate it so much, quit. Go do something that makes you happy. Let someone else have that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

RASL in Essex, Maryland

51 months ago

I said that I woulnt reply again but Im shocked to here how tired you are. Are you really a Therapist or janitor. I have never heard a Respiratory Therapist complain of that kind of thing, unless they worked mad over time. We work at John Hopkins Hospital all day long and it's never that bad. My gosh...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

nytrukr63 in East Syracuse, New York

51 months ago

I can't believe all of you poeple belly aching about how hard Respiratry is and it was such a bad career choice. If you bhate it so much get out and make room for the people who are not afraid of work. i drove tractor trailers for 17 years before this working a minimum of 70hrs a week very little sleep never home, most of you wouldn't last a week in a real job. I work 3 17hr shifts 7pm to 7am been doing it for 3 years and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love my job get respect from everyone and look forward to doing it until I retire. Maybe all of you complainers need to go out in the real world and work a real job where you bust yur a**, for very little money. Then you will be begging to come back into Respiratory. SO make life better for all of us get a job washing dishes some place and get out of health care. You must be a real positive influence on yur patients. I know I would look forward to seeing your miserable faces every day. NOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

frankieb in Elk Grove, California

50 months ago

Its mind blowing how people are so jaded in this field! I think that when we were all going through school and doing clinicals we realized there were mainly 2 positions in respiratory: Therapist and Dept Manager. With that in mind, maybe this is not the sort of job you take on with 30yrs in mind unless youre the type of person that can become complacent and love it! Do the job, save some $ and buy a freakin Quiznos lol seriously, its called WORK not play time for wages. It was not intended to be funtime...its LABOR. The cynical people scrutinizing the hours need to shut the hell up cuz lets be real ppl, we are there if they need us but once we do all or our tx's, vent checks, AND help out the floor therapists at night... we are not breaking backs the entire 12 hrs all the time. RNs are on their feet the entire 12hrs they are working! The hardest part about this job is not being able to be outside in the sun or sippin maitais for 12hrs, were spoiled and thats why were all on here complaining and not at work! Oh, and anyone willing to work in either San Jose/monterrey area or SF per diem make anywhere from $1k-$1500 per weekend, couple that with your reg 72hr period occasionally and $100k is VERY possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

nytrukr63 in East Syracuse, New York

50 months ago

frankieb in Elk Grove, California said: Its mind blowing how people are so jaded in this field! I think that when we were all going through school and doing clinicals we realized there were mainly 2 positions in respiratory: Therapist and Dept Manager. With that in mind, maybe this is not the sort of job you take on with 30yrs in mind unless youre the type of person that can become complacent and love it! Do the job, save some $ and buy a freakin Quiznos lol seriously, its called WORK not play time for wages. It was not intended to be funtime...its LABOR. The cynical people scrutinizing the hours need to shut the hell up cuz lets be real ppl, we are there if they need us but once we do all or our tx's, vent checks, AND help out the floor therapists at night... we are not breaking backs the entire 12 hrs all the time. RNs are on their feet the entire 12hrs they are working! The hardest part about this job is not being able to be outside in the sun or sippin maitais for 12hrs, were spoiled and thats why were all on here complaining and not at work! Oh, and anyone willing to work in either San Jose/monterrey area or SF per diem make anywhere from $1k-$1500 per weekend, couple that with your reg 72hr period occasionally and $100k is VERY possible.

I agree with you 100%. Finally someone on here that knows what they are talking about. If you lived closer i would buy you a drink.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Laura Wilber in San Diego, California

50 months ago

I agree. Well Said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DON in Hayward, California

50 months ago

$35-$55 HR ALL DAY LONG IN THE BAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Millie in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

You want a job in health care that gets absolutely NO RESPECT and gets all the lousy jobs? Be a medical social worker! Been there, done that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Leon in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

nytrukr63 in East Syracuse, New York said: I can't believe all of you poeple belly aching about how hard Respiratry is and it was such a bad career choice. If you bhate it so much get out and make room for the people who are not afraid of work. i drove tractor trailers for 17 years before this working a minimum of 70hrs a week very little sleep never home, most of you wouldn't last a week in a real job. I work 3 17hr shifts 7pm to 7am been doing it for 3 years and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love my job get respect from everyone and look forward to doing it until I retire. Maybe all of you complainers need to go out in the real world and work a real job where you bust yur a**, for very little money. Then you will be begging to come back into Respiratory. SO make life better for all of us get a job washing dishes some place and get out of health care. You must be a real positive influence on yur patients. I know I would look forward to seeing your miserable faces every day. NOT

Thank You, well put!! I am looking to go into medical, probably RT, after 20 plus years in construction. I've fallen off ladders, inhaled dust and solvents (unavoidable, even with protection), had injuries, and numerous cuts, scrapes, bruises, long hours, and no job security or retirement. I am looking forward to entering a career where I can have stability and actually help people. Those of you who don't like this job, please, do make room for us that want to do this. Thank you and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Leon in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Each experience is as unique as the individual. Every profession has positive as well as negative aspects. No job is perfect. I have enjoyed working in this field for 13 years. For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I like what I do. As a (RT)Respiratory Therapist, I work in an exciting field where I meet interesting people and learn something new every day. I work with a good employer whose priority is our patients. As a RT, I care for Hospital inpatients on the Floors and in the ER/ED, ICU, PICU, NICU,....etc. While working in our Clinic, I care for our outpatients, performing a variety of Comprehensive Pulmonary Function Tests, including Pulmonary Stress/Treadmill Exercises, Cold Air Challenges and Altitude Studies with or without Treadmill Exercises. I can also work in our Day Shift Sleep Clinic and our Night Shift Sleep Lab, helping patients with sleep disorders. My job offers the challenge, variety and flexibility I need to keep me interested and to continue growing both professionally and personally. RTs can work in Home Care and as transporters on Life Flight, as well as help lung and wound care patients by administering Hyperbaric Therapy. I work with an excellent team of providers and I know we RTs make a difference. Please everyone, research potential careers thoroughly and choose wisely. Remember, our current economy is effecting every profession and jobs are very difficult to find. Network. Keep the Faith, stay positive and never give up. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Good jouney everyone.

Thank you Rolinda, for your positivity. I have been researching this field and see these opportunities, rather than worrying about long hours and possibly being talked down to from an MD or RN. Working in construction for so long as a painter, I have no doubt that this will be an exciting career choice for me - a step up to something better. Just have to do as you said...thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Leon in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

Does anyone know of any change in education requirements to start out in this field? I am looking to start an Associate's program next year. I have an old friend who is a cardiac nurse in Wisconsin who I have been talking with about my choice to go into healthcare. She mentioned something about talk of needing a bachelor's in the near future just to get a job. Anyone hear of this? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nytrukr63 in East Syracuse, New York

50 months ago

Leon in Seattle, Washington said: Does anyone know of any change in education requirements to start out in this field? I am looking to start an Associate's program next year. I have an old friend who is a cardiac nurse in Wisconsin who I have been talking with about my choice to go into healthcare. She mentioned something about talk of needing a bachelor's in the near future just to get a job. Anyone hear of this? Thanks.

They have been talking about making it a bachelors degree for a while now. But if you are in the program you will get grandfathered in, they have to give the people that are in courses now a fair chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leon in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

nytrukr63 in East Syracuse, New York said: They have been talking about making it a bachelors degree for a while now. But if you are in the program you will get grandfathered in, they have to give the people that are in courses now a fair chance.

Thanks, that's pretty much what she thought too, but wasn't sure on the timeline. Do you, or does anyone know if that will take effect before fall 2011? That's when my program would start here in Seattle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.