Starting out in RT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 528)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Robert in San Diego, California

84 months ago

I am just begining to look into San Diego schools that offer coarses in RT. I do not have any gen. ed completed. Are there any schools out there that you were very impresed with or dissatisfied with. any advise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

84 months ago

sonny castillo in jeddah, Saudi Arabia said: good day, which city or state this college is located?

Hi Sonny,

Grossmont Community College is located in El Cajon, CA. The 2 year accredited Respiratory Therapy program I attended is excellent. They also offer Cardiovascular Tech and Nursing programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kim in San Diego, California

84 months ago

are there any accelerated schools for respiratory therapy
that can be recommended?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

84 months ago

kim in San Diego, California said: are there any accelerated schools for respiratory therapy
that can be recommended?

Kim, I advise attending an accredited Respiratory Therapy program. Carefully research each school you are interested in to be sure the program is right for you. I had the pleasure of working with an excellent Respiratory Therapist from California College who is now working with a private Sleep Lab. Respiratory Therapy is an exciting and growing field, allowing us to move into a variety of other areas....Intensive Care, Neonatal, Sleep Lab, Pulmonary Function Lab....etc. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

thanks =)

actually, i almost signed up for california college..

the price tag seems a bit much though..

is 60,000 dollars for an 30 month program average price??
they wanted me to sign up and give them a deposit
right away, like the minute i walked into the offices..
but

i want to look around at my other options before committing to anything..

also, a freind of mine went to california college
and now owes 20,000 dollars and isnt even working
in the field..
she strongly recommended against signing up w/ them..

i saw the program w/ grossmont community college recommended on this site..
i think im going that route..

thanks again =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in San Diego, California

83 months ago

I have just signed up at Cal College for the RT program. I was looking for a night program that would fit my schedule since I can't quit my day job. It is pricey but I am hoping it will pay off in the long run. I have been reading so many negativecomments on RT salary/advancement etc. All my freinds who are RT's seem to love their job, pay and all their time off they get with thier awesome schedules. I am just hoping California College teaches my well for what I need to know for the job. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in San Diego, California

83 months ago

Just curious, does anyone know of any other night courses in the San Diego area for RT programs other than California College?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Yeider in San Diego, California

83 months ago

I just signed up for the classes at CCSD under the same situation. I go to orientation @ 11am on Thursday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ERIC P

80 months ago

I WOULD LIKE TO GET INTO AN ACCREDITED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST SCHOOL. I LIVE IN THE PHILADELPHIA, PA AREA. CHI INSTITUTE HAS A PROGRAM. IS THAT SCHOOL ACCREDITED OR EVEN WORTH GOING TO? ANY SUGGESTIONS? I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua Freistroffer in Yucaipa, California

80 months ago

Well as far as schools go yes community colleges are cheaper. If you dont
mind having debt get it over with and go to san joaquin private school or concord.
Your jr. college for the program is about $1500. Yes private school is exspensive but you will be making good money when you get out. Rt's here in so cal at my hospital start out at $27 base pay (Loma Linda)I am a EMT looking at going for my RT then maybe my RN or PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RCP II in Santa Barbara, California

80 months ago

There are so many schools in southern cali that's offering RT program. First, I would like to advise you or anyone to see if the job is really for you. The job is not hard but the school is. Spending or investing your money to any program is worth of a try, depending on how much you like it. I went to Concorde in Hollywood 10 years ago or so, we had a good teacher back then. Took the board and passed it with flying colors. My sister did the same thing, she passed it right away after school. Concorde Career Institute is expensive but now, I only have like 1T left on my loan. I paid the minimum they asked me to pay but it is worth doing that. All it is is up to you, invest your time, money, and hard work. I know someone who currently in school right now but after passing the first phase(school, lessons, CPR, to be able to be ready for hospital orientation) he or she feels like he or she did like RT. Who knows why. Do some more digging, money is good once you are licensed. Remember, after school, you have to take the board. I hope this help. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in Chula Vista, California

80 months ago

I Graduated from PIMA college Jan. 2007. The program was cheaper than California College and you get to keep your books(couldn't believe California College doesnt let you keep books for the price they charge), I also heard while I was a student that they have had trouble keeping teachers. It took 21 months and I am now working as a Respiratory therapist in San Diego, fresh out of school. I would look into PIMA in chula vista they have Day and Evening classses in Respiratory Therapy. Good luck hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alexander Gines in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Im taking an accelerated respiratory therapist course with the army, it consists of 5 months of school and then 4 months of clinical in Brooks Army medical clinic. then when u graduate they have an arrangement with thomas edison college, and you have to take some pre req class, then they give you your associates degree in Respiratory Care.

lbowknee in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Hi Brandi,

I am stongly thinking about attending Pima college over California,but im a little concern about if student from there really get jobs in the RT field. Can you please tell me what is the starting rate for an RT graduate from the program? Why didnt you chose California college instead of Pima? Please tell me the Pros and Cons of Pima College? I really appreciate you answering my questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I choose Pima over california college because they are less expensive, also the way the program is set up, I think you learn more at PIMA. I was one of the first three classes to graduate from PIMA's respiratory program, and we set out a great example of what comes out of that school, so PIMA has good reputation in San Diego. A lot of hospitals prefer PIMA students to work for them. Starting pay depends on where you work. San Diego is low on the pay scale as far as respiratory goes, I started out at $21 per hour. I will be moving to Washington in a year and I hear the pay there is higher like $24 per hour to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Apple Valley, California

80 months ago

How much did school cost you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Well, I know the tuition has gone up a little. I paid about $25,000. Dont know what it is now though. I do know it is less than Cal. College though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BA in Santa Barbara, California

80 months ago

It cost me $12000 minus the government grant. I end up paying $8000+ all in all. I went to Concorde in Hollywood, I kept the books they gave us. Now, I believe it would cost you at least 26000. Good luck!

80 months ago

After grants and all. It's $20k.

80 months ago

hi,
can anyone advice me how i go about
'shadowing' a respiratory therapist to learn more about the field?
thanks =)

BA in Buellton, California

80 months ago

Call one of the hospitals and ask for the Director of RT Department. He or she can tell you on the steps how to start shadowing if they will let you do it in their hospital. Maybe you can start volunteering, you will see some of the things that RT does. The best bet is to call them and ask. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

thanks very much =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Whittier, California

80 months ago

I am interested in RT, does any one know about Independence University(CCHS) online, or are there better programs out there, Also math is not my strongest subject, How much Math is involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

When I took the two enterance exams at Concorde. It was very intense math. I hadn't been in school in over 20yrs! Wife is a lot younger than me and had to show me a lot :-)

Try this link
www.testprepreview.com/hobet_practice.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

PS. Shawn, I grew up in Whittier. I went to LMHS for 2yrs.

Shawn in Whittier, California

80 months ago

Ron in Apple Valley, California said: When I took the two enterance exams at Concorde. It was very intense math. I hadn't been in school in over 20yrs! Wife is a lot younger than me and had to show me a lot :-)

Try this link
www.testprepreview.com/hobet_practice.htm

What is the name of the specific test That is required for entrance and was it very difficult to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

All the stuff there is on there. It is a HOBIT test they give you. Yes, it was hard. 60% pass rate.

-Ron

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I used that as a study guide and passed :-)

heyme in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Alexander Gines in Los Angeles, California said: Im taking an accelerated respiratory therapist course with the army, it consists of 5 months of school and then 4 months of clinical in Brooks Army medical clinic. then when u graduate they have an arrangement with thomas edison college, and you have to take some pre req class, then they give you your associates degree in Respiratory Care.

Are you located in los angeles or somewhere in texas? Also are you in the army?

Alex in San Antonio, Texas

79 months ago

heyme in Los Angeles, California said: Are you located in los angeles or somewhere in texas? Also are you in the army?

yah im in the texas right now and im in the army, im juss in the diagnostic phase. we have both army and navy in our class. and on our secondy phase the navy is going to work in san diego for their clinical and the army stays here in texas for our clinical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Araceli L. Godoy in El Centro, California

79 months ago

What are the pros and cons of being a respiratory therapist?

Anonymous in Santa Barbara, California

79 months ago

The pros are:

The longer and more experience you have, the more money you make. And it is good.

Respiratory Therapy is a broad field of medical system. You get to work on pretty much the whole department especially if you have specialty such as neonates or adult ICU.

You can work during office hours if you do diagnostics such as Pulmonary Function Testing, Cardio Testing and etc.

You can work outside the hospital too or in Rehab or Sub-Acute setting.

The Cons are:
I know there are cons for any job but I can't think of any cons about RT right at this moment. If you are going to compare RT with the nurses, RT has a lesser stress but pretty much the same pay scale. You can work longer hours but still not tired because of the lesser work load. So overtime is good as well as the money too.

These are just some answers to your inquiry. So, hopefully this helps a little bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hi everyone! I am really interested in going to an RT program. I was looking into the program at PIMA in Chula Vista. My son has asthma and that is really what got me interested in RT. But before I can make my decision, I need to know if I become an RT- in that role, will I have to remove anyone from life support? I understand everything around that issue, but in all honesty, I just dont see myself being able to do that. I am a very emotional person. Please let me know if this is a major part of the job. Besides that, I would love to help people.

thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in San Diego, California

79 months ago

As a repiratory therapist you will be the person who would normally take someone off life support. But, to tell you the truth, its not as hard as it seems. When you are on the other side of medicine you kind of turn off your emotional side.
Also, if that is something you dont want to do you can choose not to be the person to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Brandi in San Diego, California said: As a repiratory therapist you will be the person who would normally take someone off life support. But, to tell you the truth, its not as hard as it seems. When you are on the other side of medicine you kind of turn off your emotional side.
Also, if that is something you dont want to do you can choose not to be the person to do it.

Thanks so much Brandi for your response to my question. I still have a few more that I hope you dont mind answering.. You stated that I can choose not to be the person to do it, but would that effect my chances of getting a job or if I do get a job and refuse to do the task of taking off life support, would I get in trouble or have a harder time at work with co workers? I dont like confrontation and I wouldnt want anyone to think that I want special treatment because I cant handle that part of the job. Also, how often does that need done- is it a majority of the time? I guess I just thought about the part where we can make people better - like when my son's inhaler doesnt work and he has to go to the ER and get treatments and steroids and gets better. I really appreciate the RTs that help him so much, and I wanted to be able to help someone too. Thanks again!

Brandi in San Diego, California

79 months ago

It would not be the majority of the time, it's usually not very often. Also, at most hospitals there are floor therapists and ICU therapist. So maybe floor care is where you want to be.

79 months ago

Brandi in San Diego, California said: It would not be the majority of the time, it's usually not very often. Also, at most hospitals there are floor therapists and ICU therapist. So maybe floor care is where you want to be.

Thanks so much Brandi!!! You've helped so much! Have a great day!

stacey in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

I am considering rt,I was wondering is there alot of math involved.

Della Rose in Tempe, Arizona

79 months ago

Hi I am looking for a good school to attend in arizona, I have an appointment at Apollo college in Mesa this Friday and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this school or any better ones. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

Brandi in San Diego, California said: There is a lot of math in school, but once you become an RT, no.

Thanks Brandi.

one more thing what other math is there besides college algebra? was is it hard to get into the program?

alisa in Encino, California

78 months ago

Anonymous in Santa Barbara, California said: The pros are:

The longer and more experience you have, the more money you make. And it is good.

Respiratory Therapy is a broad field of medical system. You get to work on pretty much the whole department especially if you have specialty such as neonates or adult ICU.

You can work during office hours if you do diagnostics such as Pulmonary Function Testing, Cardio Testing and etc.

You can work outside the hospital too or in Rehab or Sub-Acute setting.

The Cons are:
I know there are cons for any job but I can't think of any cons about RT right at this moment. If you are going to compare RT with the nurses, RT has a lesser stress but pretty much the same pay scale. You can work longer hours but still not tired because of the lesser work load. So overtime is good as well as the money too.

These are just some answers to your inquiry. So, hopefully this helps a little bit.

What is the pay scale like in Santa Barbara? How much would a beginning respiratory therapist make? I am in a different field making $31 per hour, is the pay comparable and worth switching careers for?

Shawn in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

I am Very interested in RT, But am concerned about the best school to attend, there are a lot out there. Also wondering if Math is a big part, not my best subject.

Adrian R

78 months ago

Shawn in Los Angeles, California said: I am Very interested in RT, But am concerned about the best school to attend, there are a lot out there. Also wondering if Math is a big part, not my best subject.

Im in the same boat as you Shawn, Thinking about going taking RT but not sure if i should go to those private collage. :(

Crystal in Gillenfeld, Germany

78 months ago

Hello everyone :)

I am very interested in RT. I looking for a school to attend in chula vista or San Diego, so far the schools that I have found are PIMA, Grossmont and California College. Is there any other schools in the area?? which one do you think is the best and more convenient??? Which one will help me the soonest to start working in the field?? any pros or cons of these schools??

Any information I will really appreciated it. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tonia in Tullahoma, Tennessee

78 months ago

I am an RT and I started out in a very large hospital in Jackson TN, I received exceptional training during clinicals and after I graduated. I then went to home DME, that is great. I am responsible for setting up home ventilators, cpaps, bipaps, and apnea monitors for babies. I make my own schedule and it is a lot less stressful than the units at the hospital. I must admit I love my job and is self rewarding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Orange, California

78 months ago

Hi Everyone! I just went to California College San Diego today, and I'm interested in their Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapist. They asked for $67,050 for their evening program. Has anyone here attended California College? Could you please tell me about your experience from there?

Also, does anyone know the pay rate for Associate Degree in RT and Bachelor's Degree in RT? What's the difference in salary wise? And is there a difference in work load on the floor?

Last, I don't know what's the difference between CRT, RCP, and RRT. Which one is the highest? Thank you so much for your responses in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Osburg, Germany

77 months ago

Brandi in Chula Vista, California said: I Graduated from PIMA college Jan. 2007. The program was cheaper than California College and you get to keep your books(couldn't believe California College doesnt let you keep books for the price they charge), I also heard while I was a student that they have had trouble keeping teachers. It took 21 months and I am now working as a Respiratory therapist in San Diego, fresh out of school. I would look into PIMA in chula vista they have Day and Evening classses in Respiratory Therapy. Good luck hope this helps

How did you liked the whole program? Did they teach you everything you needed to know to start working immidetly after graduation? Would you recomend anybody to attend that school? any negative comments about the intitute? I am really looking forward to start school in Sep with them and I would like to know as much info as possible before registration. Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Unless I am missing something. PRIMA doesn't offer a distant learning like CCHS does. Correct?

Benny in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

ERIC P said: I WOULD LIKE TO GET INTO AN ACCREDITED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST SCHOOL. I LIVE IN THE PHILADELPHIA, PA AREA. CHI INSTITUTE HAS A PROGRAM. IS THAT SCHOOL ACCREDITED OR EVEN WORTH GOING TO? ANY SUGGESTIONS? I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.

Eric,
I did some research about this school and talked to CoARC about the accreditation status of CHI. They have a deemed status meaning it is waiting for an approval.But students who finish the course will be able to take both CRT and RRT exams.Still I am not sure whether you can go for Bachelors in a regular university after finishin course in CHI.YES fee is very high that is what stoping me too. Any body have a suggestion/comment?

Emily in York, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

Dear Eric,
This may not be worthwhile, but I went to York College of PA, which has an accredited program offering all three levels for Respiratory Care. My city is approximately two hours west of Philly. I intended to only become a CRT with the thirteen month program (provided you have completed a full year of prerequisites) and eventually become an RRT after I was employed. I had to take summer classes to catch up, but it was definitely the best decision I could have made. The class size is small, they may accept 15 students per year at this point, the professors (there are two full-time with adjunct pulmonologists to supplement the pulmonary disease and cardiac portion of the program and an additional two part-time clinical instructors) are all fantastic, they honestly care about the students and their comprehension of the material. If you are having difficulty understanding how to do anything, they will help you practice until you feel competent. I enjoyed the challenge that Respiratory presented so much I decided to continue with the program and I graduated last May with my BS. I found employment very easily (I applied at five hospitals and had offers from all of them), and my current employer actually asked me if I know of any other grads from York College that would be interested in working at our facility, so my skills must be acceptable. If you are not interested in moving to York, perhaps you would like Millersville U, Thaddeus Stevens College of Tech or HACC. They are all very strong accredited programs, probably about an hour away from you, but they turn out knowledgeable therapists as well. You can also go to www.caahep.org/ to find something in your area. Hope this was helpful. Remember that you are the most important factor for a good experience in any program. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.