Master's degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Vikki in Center Moriches, New York

81 months ago

I currently have my BS in Respiratory therapy. I'm currently looking into a Master's program not sure what yet. I've found one program for a MS in Respiratory but its in Boston [no way I'm going to Boston]

Any advice on type of programs I can apply to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Columbus, Ohio

80 months ago

Ohio State University in Columbus, OH offers Masters and PhD programs in Respiratory Therapy.

Linda

Vikki in Center Moriches, New York said: I currently have my BS in Respiratory therapy. I'm currently looking into a Master's program not sure what yet. I've found one program for a MS in Respiratory but its in Boston [no way I'm going to Boston]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bussma in Hackensack, New Jersey

80 months ago

I contacto Ohio State Univ. but they don't offer Master in Respiratory.

Please is you know other universities, let us know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

d in Raleigh, North Carolina

67 months ago

Georgia state has a Master of Science in Health Sciences with a Major in Respiratory Therapy AND Respiratory Care, Master of Science in Health Sciences
chhs.gsu.edu/graduate_admissions.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Rush University in Chicago, IL is now offering a Masters Degree in Respiratory Care as well as a Bachelors degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cetovar2000 in Lubbock, Texas

65 months ago

LSU also has a program but you must move there. I too am looking into a Master's degree. I will obtain my BSRC from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas this May. I have tossed up some programs offered at Texas Tech but do not want to pursue these and place myself in much more dept if I am not going to gain in the areas of job openings when I am done and financial gain from where I stand now. I am 31 and want to go further but you almost always have to move to a bigger city which I do not want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I finished my BSRC online and I believe the only Masters offerd in RC that is online is thru Northeastern University in Boston.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lee

64 months ago

I was told that the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio have plans to start a master degree program in Summer 2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

oocyte in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

I have been reading on various forums that getting a Masters In Respiratory Care won't entitled you to a higher pay. So why pay 4x as much to get a masters when you can pay 1/3 at community college and end up at the same place.

Can anybody point out the benefits of getting a M.S. rather than an associate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

It is a growing process just like any other degree was at this point in time in it 50+ years existence. It is going to take time to become more nationally recoginized as a good thing. Pursuing the Masters may not during our time stand for much but it sure does have its prestige. Depends on where in the country you are as well. Certain VP's over RT departments are not managed by RT's themselves it is managed by either a business major, RN, CPA, etc...someone not influenced in RT but that is what a Masters brings. Opportunities to change and grow as a profession in it own to hold these positions. True an AS versus MS brings little change now... but to those who love this field it is the growth that matters, in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MARTINEZ1 in somewhere, New York

63 months ago

Excellent feedback. I am mapping and taking all these factors into consideration. I am not an expert but I believe as more people become involved (educated and specilized) in Healhtcare. The hiring requirement of an institutions/hospitals/Companies etc. will raise the bar and perhaps expect the education requirements to be higher.

For example quick overview at the Physical Therapy field. Entry level requirement to the field is a masters degree minimum. (I may be comparing apples and oranges).

Thank you all for bringing toughts , opinions and career facts to the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Post gradute degress (Bachelors and Masters) to some people and companies are being looked at as minimal entry requirements to take most jobs these days in specialized areas. That is how it should be, yes you are comparing apples to oranges but that is how growth happens. We may not perform the same job skills but we are as equally important in responsibilities to our patient we serve. I hope very soon for Respiratory therapist that is our case, some may ask why. There are many who may have had the certificate to practice and some who have AS degrees. But what we need is for those who have been doing this for many years (5+ yrs) to become our teachers. Find the motivation to go back to school and achieve their potientials in the field. Get your BSRC and MSRC to be our directors and Astnt directors, managers and clinical instructors because they have the experience to be great canidates. We need to not be managed by RT who thrive not survive. I am sorry but my VP who is over our director now is a RN, an RN. Come on we all know RT and RN do not mix, we can work together but RN's try to think to much like RT's and pride themselves on doing our jobs. Making one FIO2 change on a vent does not make them experts in vent management. We as RT's do not need to do RN's jobs and try to tell them what they should do because we are not RN's. But showing that you are willing to get the higher eduction does make a difference when they can see on your name tag your creditials behind your name MSRC or BSRC,RRT-NPS,AE-C,ets... or what ever it may be. If those of us on this forum get our advanced post graduate degrees we are setting the bar for our future to grow and become one like PT, RN, OT, Radiology etc...motivation is all it takes to make it happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Montebello, California

63 months ago

Maybe its regional dependent but in CA having a master's in RC is extremely rare. Having a BS in RC is also rare as there is only one school that even offers it (Loma Linda University). Most RT's with advanced degrees have them in education, management, health administration or public health. I personally think in order to teach respiratory the knowledge you obtain in your AS program is sufficient but the ability to teach is the most important aspect; in which case I recommend a Master's in education (MEd). If you plan on moving into management; get a degree in healthcare administration or business management. If you plan of going into public health get a public health degree and if you plan on doing research get a degree in quanatative reasoning/statistics. I dont see the benefit in limiting your degree strickly to RC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I totally agree with you, it is up to the person first and foremost. I think that if we plan on ever changing the views on the majority thinking that RT's are useless and just there at their disposal are sadly mistaken. We have had a lot to prove and still do in the world of healthcare. I hope to see those that want to do great things wheither it be clinically, educationally, reasearch, management, etc...do so with pride that they are RT's. It is like what people say don't forget where you came from. I wish you the best and God Bless...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Bowling Green, Ohio

63 months ago

Vikki in Center Moriches, New York said: I currently have my BS in Respiratory therapy. I'm currently looking into a Master's program not sure what yet. I've found one program for a MS in Respiratory but its in Boston [no way I'm going to Boston]

Hi,

This was the same route I was taking after I completed my masters degree and a friend and I even applied to Northeastern University in Boston for our Masters in Leadership in Respiratory Care, but after much thought and research we decided to join Indiana Wesleyan University online for a master of science in management, which will open up more doors in respiratory management and overall health care management! With a bachelor's and say 5 years of experience, we are eligible for director level jobs, but with my masters I plan on obtaining a management level that overlooks the hospital in the future. I hope this helps. With a masters in respiratory, you're really constricting your options and growth potential. I am a strong advocate for respiratory (hence my bachelors), but we have a long time before our profession can get be respected with a masters degree. Your time and money invested is something you need to think about!

I hope this helps.

Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

This argument is one of those that in my opinion is on the fence in certain areas. I truly believe that it will always be a facility driven situation. Getting a Masters in Respiratory is rare, so it stays rare that promotions are granted to those obtaining this masters degree status in Respiratory. Our limitations in this field, you are right, does restrict our ability to manage outside our practice or around it. I works the same for nurses but their roles in healthcare are endless so it puts them at a huge advantage, once again my opinion. I have to admit it does look as if we are not getting more bang for our buck but if you look at the bright side we have Masters programs for a reason it is just misunderstood in healthcare Take this scenario for instance and tell me which is fair. If you have two applicants, RT's, both with Bachleors, one in Respiratory the other a BS, applying for a directors position. The applicant with the BSRC has less experience clinically than the one that has a BS. Which do you take? Okay, same situation but the position is a VP over allied health and other depts and all this time until now a MSN or some other Masters degree has held this position. All canidates meet the qualifications all have masters in their respected areas and all are great canidated. Which do you take? My point is you can compete just the same for these types, which we all have to admit we never see. Why? Because there are no BSRC and MSRC in the mix.

kgoblue in Joplin, Missouri

62 months ago

I AM TYRING TO DECIDE BETWEEN A MBA IN HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT OR HUMAN RESOURCES. A UNIVERSITY IN MISSOURI OFFERS EVENING AND ON-LINE CLASSES. I JUST NOT SURE WHICH ONE WILL HAVE MORE FUTURE BENEFITS. ANY INPUT?

62 months ago

I was thinking of an MBA as well but talking to some healthcare employees who had there MBA said they got out of touch with clinical work. Human Resourse is in right know as far as well paying and high on the hard to get list for good positions. Delay of Gratification, if I had to choose I would seek MBA,more prestigious. I will soon enroll at Texas Tech for my Masters of Science in Clinical Practicing Management. Keeps me clinical in the game and that is what I do not want to lose over time and it is all online. Come to think of it there is a gentleman that got his MBA with a certificate in Healthcare Organization Mgmt who is in the MSCPM because he got not enough healthcare experience. Depends on your long term goals and expectation. Keep us posted...Good Luck and God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

saba in Muscat, Oman

61 months ago

Me too I am looking fo MS in respiratory therapy, I know Georgia state has one, and they have it for a long time, but I am looking for oneline

Mark RCP in Texas

61 months ago

cetovar2000 in Lubbock, Texas said: This argument is one of those that in my opinion is on the fence in certain areas. I truly believe that it will always be a facility driven situation. Getting a Masters in Respiratory is rare, so it stays rare that promotions are granted to those obtaining this masters degree status in Respiratory. Our limitations in this field, you are right, does restrict our ability to manage outside our practice or around it. I works the same for nurses but their roles in healthcare are endless so it puts them at a huge advantage, once again my opinion. I have to admit it does look as if we are not getting more bang for our buck but if you look at the bright side we have Masters programs for a reason it is just misunderstood in healthcare Take this scenario for instance and tell me which is fair. If you have two applicants, RT's, both with Bachleors, one in Respiratory the other a BS, applying for a directors position. The applicant with the BSRC has less experience clinically than the one that has a BS. Which do you take? Okay, same situation but the position is a VP over allied health and other depts and all this time until now a MSN or some other Masters degree has held this position. All canidates meet the qualifications all have masters in their respected areas and all are great canidated. Which do you take? My point is you can compete just the same for these types, which we all have to admit we never see. Why? Because there are no BSRC and MSRC in the mix.

As far as I have seen there is no reason to have higher than a BS degree in RT. I have met managers who have no clue how to be a manager or even an RT,even with a higher degree.A piece of paper, does not make you a better RT, your dedication and ability to gain skill does.The only difference from a BS to A.A.S is the ability to move into management.But the pay does not change, if your not managing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RT in Manipal, India

61 months ago

That may be true in USA. But in Asia the situation is different. You will need to have a Postgraduation for promotion and a better salary. They perform well too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LC3 in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

oocyte in Chicago, Illinois said: I have been reading on various forums that getting a Masters In Respiratory Care won't entitled you to a higher pay. So why pay 4x as much to get a masters when you can pay 1/3 at community college and end up at the same place.

Can anybody point out the benefits of getting a M.S. rather than an associate.

Out of school with litle to no experience will get you a buck or 2 more than a 2 year degree person. The benefit is in your upward mobility. With a BS or Masters or PhD theoretically you would be a better candidate for management or something in health care but not necessarily PT focused. Also if the bill passes you will be able as a BS or better to contract yourself out to a group of doctors and make serious cash ( thats if it passes).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

vims in Bangalore, India

61 months ago

Like to point out that Masters should be done from good institutions with greater presepctive to grow in mind. Must unbdergo projects and case studies that can mould you to be a better professional.I am undergoing Masters from Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre, Bangalore (www.vims.ac.in). Wherever you study the course must utilize the facilities provided by them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RT in Mangaluru, India

61 months ago

There is no Resp therapy course at VIMS.............then which Masters are you doing there?

RT in Mangaluru, India

61 months ago

saba in Muscat, Oman said: Me too I am looking fo MS in respiratory therapy, I know Georgia state has one, and they have it for a long time, but I am looking for oneline

I know that there are students from OMAN at manipal University pursuing BSc in RT and you can also try there for MSc RT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Son in San Jose, California

61 months ago

What can your degree help you with the economic downturn now? don't depend on your degree. There is nothing to deal with your degree but the only you and your effort count. if you think you need my help then contact me at lytoan@rocketmail.com. thank you!

saba in Muscat, Oman

61 months ago

Thank you, do you know the person who doing the Bsc degree in RT? i will rely like to chat with someone studing in the manipal University school? I did contact the school they have the program, I am communicating with them . it is possible .

RT in Manipal, India

61 months ago

you can mail your queries to respiratory.therapy@manipal.edu

B in Greensboro, North Carolina

61 months ago

It seems to be the people who are looking at an educational opportunity to better our profession with comparison of only monetary figures to be the reason our profession is lacking respect and leadership. If you enjoy your job and actively are searching for ways to make yourself a better therapist, then continue to your BS or MS degree. Every class I took for my BS degree was crammed with information that I applied from that day on. The classes are more technical and not so much aimed at "by the books" approach. I remember after graduating from my associates degree and started working I was a mess! I remember freaking out about everything because "that is not what Egan's said!" Whereas, in the BS program I would learn something in class and apply that exact knowledge at work later that night. Colleges are ridiculously affordable and offer payment plans that make is easy to pay. Most employers offer education reimbursement and the abundance of scholarships available out there are a 1,500 essay away. The UNCC BS program has amazing teachers who are dedicated to working around your schedule and will remind you time and time again, they understand that everyone is working, has a family, and other responsibilities.

So basically, those who want to better themselves and serve as a leader in our profession, continue your education and those who want to waste energy on 50 excuses why "there is no point" rather than 50 reason to do it, please excuse yourself from our profession. Every year we have young, eager, therapist come into our field with plans to better the world and our profession only to be surrounded by people who don't strive to bring them down too. We need role models exemplifying motivation and dedication to serve as leaders and create a higher standard for therapist. If we continue to be content with only an AS degree and a CRT license, we will never keep up with the rapidly advancing healthcare system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

RT in Hubli, India

61 months ago

Great comment

Thanks for supporting further education in RT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Wow, I must say well put and you totally hit the nail on its big fat head. I sure am glad to see you do not have to be fresh out of school to feel this way about what we do. AAS and CRT is a starting point not a end point to be great and define what you can be in our profession. I just accepted a part-time teaching position at our local community college and will definalty make an impact on our first year students. I will be honest and not hold them back as to what they can contribute to our community. I will teach and practice what I preach and express why starting out strong only makes their post graduate degree that much easier and well deserved.Thank you B and best of luck in Greensboro.

Sandy in Eden, North Carolina

60 months ago

saba in Muscat, Oman said: Me too I am looking fo MS in respiratory therapy, I know Georgia state has one, and they have it for a long time, but I am looking for oneline

Northeastern University has a Masters in Respiratory Leadership online.. Hope this helps.

Sandy in Eden, North Carolina

60 months ago

Sandy in Eden, North Carolina said: Northeastern University has a Masters in Respiratory Leadership online.. Hope this helps.

Also Shenandoah University (www.su.edu) has a one year fast track alternate entry BS in Repiratory Care. It is intensive , very intensive program that gives people who don't have an associates in RT an entry to use the course work they have and get a BSRC. Test eligible. I just graduated this July with my BSRC and have passed my CRT, Wrrt and going for the final part of the RRT.

Sad though, no jobs in my area for RT's right now. Am looking into going on to something else due to the lack of demand!

Sandy, CRT

gin in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Bussma in Hackensack, New Jersey said: I contacto Ohio State Univ. but they don't offer Master in Respiratory.

Please is you know other universities, let us know

You should call Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. They first class starts this fall. They have a BS, Entry Level MS, and Advance RRT MS Degree. I am starting the entry level MS program this fall.

Dan in Charlottesville, Virginia

57 months ago

Northeastery University offers an online MS in Respiratory Therapy Leadership. There are several track options too!

B in Greensboro, North Carolina

57 months ago

Hey, that program is all online! you do not have to go to Boston. I have already had information about the program sent to me. It is a distance education program.

priyanka in Vadodara, India

57 months ago

gin in Chicago, Illinois said: You should call Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. They first class starts this fall. They have a BS, Entry Level MS, and Advance RRT MS Degree. I am starting the entry level MS program this fall.

hello ,
my name is priyanka. my email id is drpriyankapandya@gmail.com
i have interest in master of respiratory care. do you about any other universities which provide this course? i want to sent applications from india. can you help me in this matter?

Michael

57 months ago

BOREDRT in Montebello, California said: Maybe its regional dependent but in CA having a master's in RC is extremely rare. Having a BS in RC is also rare as there is only one school that even offers it (Loma Linda University). Most RT's with advanced degrees have them in education, management, health administration or public health. I personally think in order to teach respiratory the knowledge you obtain in your AS program is sufficient but the ability to teach is the most important aspect; in which case I recommend a Master's in education (MEd). If you plan on moving into management; get a degree in healthcare administration or business management. If you plan of going into public health get a public health degree and if you plan on doing research get a degree in quanatative reasoning/statistics. I dont see the benefit in limiting your degree strickly to RC.

aaaa not true, there is a very well reconized school and it's Georgia State. I am going to be starting for my A.S. degree, I also was looking into a Masters there, particulary in the Neonatal unit and working with children. But that is a long way off. I have read pleanty of responces and I am shocked about how many people equate a higher degree a B.S. and thn a Master's with money...I truly believe and I have been around the medical field for a while now. If you intend to go this route "you should be doing for the pt care" not the money...relaxe people the money and benefits will come. I think some of you are driven by the wrong cause, I could be wrong and if I am I sinerely am sorry for that. Thank you...Michael94544@aol.com

57 months ago

hi. thanks for your guidance. georgia state university & rush university provide master in rc but north eastern university provides master in rc to only local student. rush university has high cost of study then georgia but for usa student it is affordable.

Michael

57 months ago

ahhhh ic, thank you

mary oneil in Phoenix, Arizona

57 months ago

a masters in education would allow you to teach at any college with that background/keep rt license current- i also have a bs in rt and a masters in counseling

perfusion school is also an option as well.

Michael

57 months ago

Hi Mary, I do have information on Georgia State University and I chose this one because it is highly known as cutting edge both in the teachings and facilities and clinics. It is a few pages it would be better if I could fax them to you, it is very interesting cause going for our Master's there are more than one avenue we can take. ie.. you can map out to lean towards managerial postions, I mayself want to stay, working with patients particularly the NeoNatel unit and older children. I would be only to happy to give you the information and thank you for the feed back. I am a long ways off from a Master's but I am not one for waiting on things. Michael

futureRT in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Michael said: aaaa not true, there is a very well reconized school and it's Georgia State. I am going to be starting for my A.S. degree, I also was looking into a Masters there, particulary in the Neonatal unit and working with children. But that is a long way off. I have read pleanty of responces and I am shocked about how many people equate a higher degree a B.S. and thn a Master's with money...I truly believe and I have been around the medical field for a while now. If you intend to go this route "you should be doing for the pt care" not the money...relaxe people the money and benefits will come. I think some of you are driven by the wrong cause, I could be wrong and if I am I sinerely am sorry for that. Thank you...Michael94544@aol.com

I definitely agree with you Michael. And since ppl are so concerned about the money, I think it is the same idea as getting an AAS degree in Nursing vs. MSN. After getting an AAS you can be staff nurse and if there was a position or promotion open, who are they going to take? The one with MSN with a specialty in neonate, geriatrics, etc or the staff nurse? Same idea with RT. Especially with the recession and the competitive job market, I would definitely get an MS degree (which I am :).

57 months ago

hi vikki. say about your experience in bs in rc. how's study? is it interesting? is it indepth knowledgable?

Michael

57 months ago

I would have to agree with you. I don't know how old u are, I am 46, but have alot! of many diversified experiences and I am very much a people person and have a great personalty which I think will work well in pt care as well as fellow employee's. Sometimes it is because you have the higher degree for the higher position available, but I really feel going that extra 2 miles with your education shows you "care" for the pt's. It also depends on the person, they may have the degree and not the personal skills too. However I still feel and stick to the position that anybody going into any leval should be there for the pt's...don't worry the monies and benefits will come....Thank you.

Sputum Sucker in Cape Coral, Florida

57 months ago

The problem with master's in respiratory is that it gives no advanced practice standing to the holder, like an ARNP or a PA. Until that happens, a master's in respiratory care doesn't make sense for someone who's already a RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael

57 months ago

WOW...where do I start with a responce like that...lets see, first...forgive me if I am rather abrupt; your name "Sputum Sucker" well I can see the humor in that...as for the Master's in RT and that is gives no advanced practice standing to the holder I have to ask are you in this for the "standing" Please, I do see your point, but the knowledge you gain for your PT's should be recongnition enough, if not perhaps you need to try another part of medicine...good luck to you and please if I have offended you I am sorry.

57 months ago

hello sir, i am just 23ys old. thanks for sharing your experience. if i will get chnce to meet you in usa will definately meet you to know about your more experince in education.

Sputum Sucker in State of Confusion

57 months ago

What advanced knowledge do you think a master's degree in respiratory is really going to provide?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sputum Sucker in State of Confusion said: What advanced knowledge do you think a master's degree in respiratory is really going to provide?

exactly i dont know. i am international studnet. did you completed your bs in rc?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.