felony........

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 97)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

in trouble before in Austin, Texas

91 months ago

Once you finish your deferred adjudication, then the only record of it should be the arrest (if there was an arrest). You can often get the arrest expunged, but you usually have to pay a lawyer to do it.

In any case, don't let your record stop you from pursuing your career and your dreams. Even if it stops you from getting one job, it won't stop you from getting every one you apply for. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Apple Valley, California

81 months ago

I thought they only go back 7 years. Your probably fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Douche Friggin Bigalow in Redding, California

81 months ago

Ron in Apple Valley, California said: I thought they only go back 7 years. Your probably fine.

Yeah, in CA you would be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

uli2000 in Ely, Nevada

81 months ago

Id contact the rt board in the state(s) you want to practice in. Diffrent states have diffrent standards. Nothing would be worse than to spend 20k+ on school only to find out you cant get licensed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Been there done that in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

Chris in Wylie, Texas said: Iv'e been looking intently into the rct/rt feild intensly. the director of the school i talked to said that with my felony it is possible but alot harder.
it is not drug related or a felon of moral turpitude. its defered adjudication so it shows as a chrge not conviction and by the time i finish school it will have been 7 years ago. She said that i would probably have to start with the agencies and prove myself to the hospital community. basically it who you know. Plus I already have a state license. im a licensed electrician. I was hoping to get som input from those already in the field that know the system. Basically i was intoxicated and misused a city owned backhoe to do some work on my land. Henced I was charged with theft 20k. Any input would be highly appreciated.

You should have no problems!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cocytus in Fort Wayne, Indiana

80 months ago

Chris in Wylie, Texas said: Iv'e been looking intently into the rct/rt feild intensly. the director of the school i talked to said that with my felony it is possible but alot harder.
it is not drug related or a felon of moral turpitude. its defered adjudication so it shows as a chrge not conviction and by the time i finish school it will have been 7 years ago. She said that i would probably have to start with the agencies and prove myself to the hospital community. basically it who you know. Plus I already have a state license. im a licensed electrician. I was hoping to get som input from those already in the field that know the system. Basically i was intoxicated and misused a city owned backhoe to do some work on my land. Henced I was charged with theft 20k. Any input would be highly appreciated.

If you are a licensed electrician...why are you trying to enter another career field?
Electricians are at a premium across the country, so you would have no problems finding work throughout the US.
Unless you're "tired" of the work...not sure why you'd change careers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gen in Fort Defiance, Arizona

79 months ago

Cant you go to court and file a motion to have your rights reinstated? its been seven years? I think as long as youve kept your nose clean and changed your ways you can ask to have your rights reinstated and have your felony conviction pretty much erased from your records...I might be wrong but check into it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Gray Court, South Carolina

79 months ago

convictions are for life, i have 1 ten years ago i think the only state i could get a lic. in is ny perhaps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K Smith in Asheville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Theft is a crime of Moral Turpitude... it is the same as Larceny Grand or Petty and is classified as such. There is no law however stating you can not get ANY job with a felony conviction - truth is you CAN and if they do not hire you because of the Felony - you can sue them.

Thanks

K Smith
Asheville, NC

me in Bainbridge, Georgia

78 months ago

lol i finally got my transcript released to them, now that make u fill out a background check, so 1 more school i'm excluded from.

umm only thing i could offer is va hospital check there but that wont give u your peads

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vacpct in Mooresville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Okay, I know that me and another cna at work had applied for the same rt program and the counselor told her that because she has a misdemeanor from (get this) twelve years ago, it may hinder her in receiving a license to provide respiratory care. Now she has her cna already. Each state is different as to whether they will or will not accept you. You may still sit for the board and take the test and not be able to be licensed. Call the board in your state and give the facts of the felony. They can tell you whether you are wasting your time or if its not really a problem. Oh, and someone had said you can sue if a hospital will not hire you because of a crime, no you can't. If the hospital feels that you have deceived or frauded the community, you can be turned down because of that. There are some strict rules and regulations for healthcare workers. Check into your state and call the clinical sites. Get a copy of your criminal record. Take it in and let them review it before you start the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Asheville, North Carolina

78 months ago

The nature and level of the crime is what is important to the Board. Plus, if you were either on probation or served county jail time only - you can call the clerk of the courts in that state to see if your crime was "adjudicated guilty" or "adjudication withheld". If the adjudication was withheld then you can contact the courts and have your record sealed. If the adjudication was NOT withheld then you can hire an Attorney and have them request the adjudication be turned so you can have your record sealed. Florida seals it for 10 years then expunges it after that time. In NC if you completed your time, paid your fines and restitution - then you rights are automatically reinstated - even if the felony was from another state. It is estimated that more than 40% or more of the American population have felony records.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

deidre in Springfield Gardens, New York

77 months ago

Douche Friggin Bigalow in Redding, California said: Yeah, in CA you would be fine.

how about ny

deidre in Springfield Gardens, New York

77 months ago

deidre in Springfield Gardens, New York said: how about ny

has anyone heard good things about molloy college in rockville ctr ny i have been accepted into the program but having second thoughts

Megan RRT tobe in Tolleson, Arizona

77 months ago

Hi ,

I had felony due to shop lifting 8 years ago in CA. I am now attending RRT program in Phoenix , AZ. I havent talked to school abt this since they didnt ask. Can someone tell me if I can get a licence to work, both CA or AZ? Thanks in advance

LC Expert on this one in Thonotosassa, Florida

77 months ago

Here's the skinny folks......... President Cliton (Bill) signed into FEDERAL LAW (catch 22) That no funding shall be dispursed to any facility that knowingly hires anyone convicted of a felony typically dealing with drugs, theft, moral turpitued, fraud, violence or sexual crimes. (FYI- in some states arrearage of child support would qualify you as well)This was done to protect the public trust as a lot of ID theft, assaults and sex abuse was happening in nursing homes etc. (see Kill Bill 1). As a result if youhave any of the above regardless of how long doesn't matter you R Screwed! I am trying to activate my license in FL (1988) a posession charge in which I was 1 of 4 occupants to which all were charged as no one came fwd to claim drugs. Mind you I was a CRTT for 10 yrs. with monitoring from a third party as a condition of licesure. It's possible to get a license but the biggest hurdle is the employer who will treat you like a lepur.
Most states do a background for licensure through FBI/NCIC. It will take a federal law to reverse this so I suggest you call you congressman. Good luck on that though. The numbers are high enough for some action as it effects millions but no one has organized a PAC yet to get the ears of congress. There is a bill that has been on the floor 3 time now that would give you a pass on a one time felony but it keeps getting shot down. Rangall (D-NY) is heading it. the only state you have a shot NOW is IL. The have a waiver that can get you through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Fort Myers, Florida

77 months ago

Working in healthcare is a privilage. Think twice about who you associate with and what you do, it could cost you your job. There is a reason why this bill keeps getting shot down, there is no such thing as an "accidental" felony.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

LC Expert on this one in Thonotosassa, Florida

77 months ago

You're speaking on something you know nothing about. Your city was the Mecca of Crack Cocaine in the 80's. In FL if you are within 10 ft of a control substance you can be arrested for and probably convicted for something you had no knowledge of. I don't know about you but I don't usually request a background check on everyone I meet as it would be unresonable to do so. In my case I was an associate of the friend of the the vehicle in which I was a passenger. i.e. I had no knowledge of the individual and to be honest not sure if to this day that he was any more guilty than I. You see the sheriff who searched the vehicle (4x mind you) is in prison for planting evidence, RICO act and money laundering. You must be new to Florida. There is an old saying throughout the country: Come to Florida for vacation end up in litigation. Judge places you on probation. Miss a date or payment and now you're in viloation. Next thing you know you get incarceration.
The issue isn't about "accidental Felonies" my friend. People make mistakes or have bad luck. I know people that have DUI from a couple of beers but I wouldn't call them public enemy #1. FYI if working in healthcare is a privilage then why does FL. have over 50,000 so called impaired practitioners in its PRN program? Oh that's right they are priveledged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

megg in mt mourne in Wexford, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

Typed that too fast...I meant...how do I find an attorney ? Thank you.

Curious in Cape Coral, Florida

75 months ago

Would a DUI that's 2yrs old prevent you from getting a license...case was nolle prossed. Thanks

leonard.campbell@gmail.com in Seffner, Florida

75 months ago

you're in good shape. A null Prose means lack of evedience therefore no case.

French in Canby, Oregon

75 months ago

ELECTRICIAN IS A GREAT FIELD WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CHANGE

Michelle in Auburn, Alabama

75 months ago

Ted in Fort Myers, Florida said: Working in healthcare is a privilage. Think twice about who you associate with and what you do, it could cost you your job. There is a reason why this bill keeps getting shot down, there is no such thing as an "accidental" felony.

<Edited by Host: Personal attack removed> My husband has a sexual abuse 2nd on his record and we cannot get it off! The girl that accused him of touching her through her shirt has now even said that he never did it, but she wrote a friend a note to make the friend think that she was cool becasue a 22 year old guy gave her attention in that way and her mom found the note. We live in Ass backwards Alabama that won't listen to the case because our first atty. filed a rule 32 and made a mistake. Well, you can only file a rule 32 one time and so we don't have a chance even with the signed affidavit from the girl. (She was 15 at the time) This happened 13 years ago, and he has never been in any trouble since. It is rediculous and some people just get screwed. Stop pointing fingers at everyone at one time. You have to look at each individual. When he got convicted, the judge said, "well, I think you did it." and gave him a $250 fine and sent him on his way. Now look what it has done to him and there was no evidance to even prove him guilty. I am livid. By the way,I am a high school teacher and have 4 kids. I have never been so disappointed in our judicial system than I am with this situation.

75 months ago

DITTO Michelle. Ted is probably young and beleives that the system is fair and impartial. Although it may be a good idea, I don't know of anyone that searches there friends vehicle and pat everyone down before taking a trip to the Wal-Mart. I live in Florida that isn't any better than 'Bama! <Edited by Host: Inappropriate and personal attack removed> LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Curious in Cape Coral, Florida said: Would a DUI that's 2yrs old prevent you from getting a license...case was nolle prossed. Thanks

I was just at the FL. board meeting on 7/11/08 in Tampa and I saw 2 applicants be granted licenses. Be humble and remorseful and you have a 60% chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Cape Coral, Florida

75 months ago

leonard.campbell@gmail.com in Seffner, Florida said: DITTO Michelle. Ted is probably young and beleives that the system is fair and impartial. Although it may be a good idea, I don't know of anyone that searches there friends vehicle and pat everyone down before taking a trip to the Wal-Mart. I live in Florida that isn't any better than 'Bama! Ted will get his taste before it's all over be it a DUI in the parking lot or his girlfriend accuses him of battery or rape falsely. Better yet it will probably be some kid that gets creeped out by him and says he touch there butt doing pecussion therapy. LOL

I'm not saying I pad people down before I get in the car with them, but I don't associate with people of questionable character. I don't put myself in the position. Sorry folks, but there is no such thing as an "accidental" felony.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

charise in Lawrenceville, Georgia

67 months ago

Keith in Asheville, North Carolina said: The nature and level of the crime is what is important to the Board. Plus, if you were either on probation or served county jail time only - you can call the clerk of the courts in that state to see if your crime was "adjudicated guilty" or "adjudication withheld". If the adjudication was withheld then you can contact the courts and have your record sealed. If the adjudication was NOT withheld then you can hire an Attorney and have them request the adjudication be turned so you can have your record sealed. Florida seals it for 10 years then expunges it after that time. In NC if you completed your time, paid your fines and restitution - then you rights are automatically reinstated - even if the felony was from another state. It is estimated that more than 40% or more of the American population have felony records.

Yes this is true, you can get your record sealed after seven years. It all depends on how bad you want it-you must take initiative to follow through on sealment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

yes u can get sealment-plenty of people have done it-u must follow through with procedure and process

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Megan RRT tobe in Tolleson, Arizona said: Hi ,

I had felony due to shop lifting 8 years ago in CA. I am now attending RRT program in Phoenix , AZ. I havent talked to school abt this since they didnt ask. Can someone tell me if I can get a licence to work, both CA or AZ? Thanks in advance

what happened with this adlene2010@yahoo.com please contact me i might can help

67 months ago

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

i wish u the best

LC in Seffner, Florida

67 months ago

Ted in Cape Coral, Florida said: I'm not saying I pad people down before I get in the car with them, but I don't associate with people of questionable character. I don't put myself in the position. Sorry folks, but there is no such thing as an "accidental" felony.

The point that you are missing TED, is that you don't know. Statistically speaking chances are you work with someone of "questionable Character" maybe even you. If you are that good a judge of character then you are missing your calling my friend.

As far as the accidental felonies go; 2009-03-23 there are over 14M people unemployed. Many are responsible for paying child support, fines,taxes,mortgages,etc. In many states, Florida included, failure to pay CS can be a felonious offense. Did they intentionally lose their employment since the company eliminated their positions? I'm sure your rebuttal is they need to get another job but in this economy that is easier said than done. I know McDonald's is always hiring but you can't go from $50K a year to minimum wage over night and survive. I agree their are no accidental felonies but the intent can be from the opposing side as well regardless of actuality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ADLENECHARISE M in Lawrenceville, Georgia

67 months ago

that is the reality of it i AGREE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AiCoro in Burbank, California

65 months ago

What are the chances of a newly graduated RT being hired while on a probabtion period of one year for a DUI five years ago?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pinkfusion in California

64 months ago

Well, at least I have ONE thing I can thank Bill Clinton for.

This is a frightening thread.

Ryan6219 in Spotsylvania, Virginia

64 months ago

I was a memeber of a fire dept and later quit i was pulled over on a traffic stop and the police officer saw i had fire gear in my car (that i was issued) but becuase at that time i was not a member that fire dept reported it stolen and i was arrested and charged and convicted with grand larceny and impersonating a firefighter even though it was said in court that i WAS issued the gear but they said that no matter what i was wrong for not turning it in on time...this happend last year I served in the army for 2 years and was a vol EMT im not a bad person, I want to go to school to be a PA but dont want to waste money going to school if i cant actually get a job doing that...does anyone know a state that would allow me to. Please email me rhayden6219@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MB in Fresno, California

63 months ago

For those asking about licensing in California, you should try the State Board first. www.rcb.ca.gov/

I'm not an RT, but do work in HR and have friends in RT.

Quick answer to some of the questions, for a DUI, it's considered a substance abuse problem. Drinking and driving, smoking crack cocaine, it falls into the same category. Clean up your act, prove you're clean, don't complain about the random drug tests (that you have to pay for) and it won't be such a big deal, unless you have multiple offenses.

If you are on probation for anything, don't expect to get hired or even licensed until the probation is up. Like I said previously, you need to prove you're 'clean'.

As for hiring a lawyer to expunge a record, it's a waste of time. The CA state board specifically requests all information regarding anything you've ever been charged with, convicted of, had expunged, etc...
Expunging a record does not mean it is destroyed, it just means it's not available for public viewing. You'll be submitting your driving record, police record, court records, and school transcripts. If you attempt to hide anything, the state board can ban you for life.

If you've committed any form of violence against another person (assault, terrorist threats, rape, etc..) you're out, doesn't matter when you did it or how you regret it now, you won't get into a hospital.

If you've displayed a repeating pattern of committing a crime, such as multiple theft, DUI, etc... you'll be lucky to get into a hospital. The state board reviews each applicant with a criminal history individually though, so it wouldn't hurt to call them.

If you behind on payments for anything you owe on, child support, credit cards, car, etc.. you should get that taken care of as well. HR departments don't like dealing with debt collectors anymore than you do.

In California, it's a tight market for RTs. Even experienced RTs with clean records sometimes settle for Per Diem positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Mount Airy, North Carolina

63 months ago

I have a felony for "obtaining a controlled substance under fraudulent circumstances. The charge is 9 years ago can i get my CNA licenses?

ljm253 in Franklin, Massachusetts

63 months ago

You will not be aloud to complete your clinicals. Most schools do a CORI, a criminal offender research inquiry, I think thats what it stands for, anyone know for sure, let me know. If you have a felony, usually the school would tell you you cant take the course. Any nursing home, long term care, rehab, or assisted living place will absoulutely not hire someone with a felony. Might need to look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fresno, California

63 months ago

Hi I just took my CRT test and I passed it thank God. But I have a felony on my record about eight years ago it was for insurance fraud would I still be able to get my RT license. I really would appreciate any help.
Thank you

jared in Dallas, Georgia

62 months ago

I am wanting to go to school to be a respiratory therapist in Georgia, but I have a misdemeanor from 3 years ago. It is maintaining a common nusiance, what happen is I was out of town for 3 days and I asked my cousin to take out my dog and feed him when I was gone. Well he decided to have some friends over and have a party with some drugs involved and the police came and they was arrested. When I got back they charged and convicted me with the maintaining a common nusiance because I gave him a key and the ok to go in my house to take care of my dog. they had to charge and convict me of that. I even let them do a hair test on me and of course it came back fine. Will I be able to get a rt license to work in Georgia. please somebody give me some info thanks.

Randy

62 months ago

you should be able to but to make 100% sure i would contact the Board in GA.

LC3 in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

ljm253 in Franklin, Massachusetts said: You will not be aloud to complete your clinicals. Most schools do a CORI, a criminal offender research inquiry, I think thats what it stands for, anyone know for sure, let me know. If you have a felony, usually the school would tell you you cant take the course. Any nursing home, long term care, rehab, or assisted living place will absoulutely not hire someone with a felony. Might need to look elsewhere.

That's not necessarily true. Most states because of the act passed by Clinton have instituted a pier revue and exemption clause. In Fl if the offense is 2 years old or more you can get an exemption. SC is the best state if you have a felony. After a period of time they will wipe the slate clean from any state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LC3 in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

jared in Dallas, Georgia said: I am wanting to go to school to be a respiratory therapist in Georgia, but I have a misdemeanor from 3 years ago. It is maintaining a common nusiance, what happen is I was out of town for 3 days and I asked my cousin to take out my dog and feed him when I was gone. Well he decided to have some friends over and have a party with some drugs involved and the police came and they was arrested. When I got back they charged and convicted me with the maintaining a common nusiance because I gave him a key and the ok to go in my house to take care of my dog. they had to charge and convict me of that. I even let them do a hair test on me and of course it came back fine. Will I be able to get a rt license to work in Georgia. please somebody give me some info thanks.

Ted would probably say NO but you issue will be will the school let you through the program and can you do clinicals because of the felony? I think you need to get the final disposition reduced to a lesser charge not a felony. This can be done through an atty and a hearing with the sitting judge.

ADLENECHARISE M in Jackson, Tennessee

62 months ago

Thats true I did do clinicals i NY state and had a background.

Randy

62 months ago

LC3 in Tampa, Florida said: That's not necessarily true. Most states because of the act passed by Clinton have instituted a pier revue and exemption clause. In Fl if the offense is 2 years old or more you can get an exemption. SC is the best state if you have a felony. After a period of time they will wipe the slate clean from any state.

LC#
can you explain this more
so i live in FL and can't finish my degree due to a felony are you saying i could move to SC and they will erase it?

it was for peeing in a bush was charged with open lewdness and now considered a sex offender

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jared in Dallas, Georgia

62 months ago

hey LC3 its not a felony charge or conviction it is a misdemeanor which is maintaining a common nusiance. I currently work at a hospital and they know about the misdemeanor and they said its fine because it isnt a sex crime or a drug charge. Im a surgical tech in the operating room right now.

Angie in Casper, Wyoming

62 months ago

I work with someone who had a felony. It took him more time to get his license. He also had to provide alot more information and court documents. It is possible, just takes alot longer depending upon the state.

Angie in Casper, Wyoming

62 months ago

I work with a person who has a felony. It is possible depending upon the state your wanting to work in. However, it took much longer for him to get a license approved and he had to provide court documents and a bunch of other information. I guess I would contact the state licensing board of where you want to work and see if they will issue a license to someone with a felony.

KM007 in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

How To Clear Your Criminal Record
I have all of the necessary steps to clear your record-anywhere. Completly detailed, you can do all the work yourself, without an attorney.

-Find out whats on your rap sheet
-What to do if the FBI report is wrong
-Apply for clemency
-Proven methods to getting a pardon
-And what to do after your record has been cleared.

This is all perfectly legal and can be done by anyone, anywhere. All letters and forms are included and you can complete the job yourself-discreetly. simply, and cheaply.

Don't let a criminal record hold you back!!!

I am trying to put together all the information I can for felons because it is truly hard. I am a convicted felon myself. I decided to go back to school for IT and will be making 55-65k when I graduate next year. I suggest all of you looking for help check out www.apluscertified.blogspot.com it helped me find out what I wanted to go back to school for so far as my certifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.