Which is better nursing or respiratory therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 151)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Ded2med in Swift Current, Saskatchewan

77 months ago

Personally, I would always encourage people to choose RT over nursing. The reality is, that unless you are absolutely *positive* that your goal in life is to be a nurse, you will hate the job. The salary and "career freedom" does not make up for the unprofessional coworkers, disrespect, abuse, stress, and working conditions that you must endure every day. As a nurse, not only do you have to push pills with a smile, you also have to wipe people's smelly bottoms, vomit, and other bodily fluids as well. If that's not enough to make people run from nursing, I don't know what is.

Sure RTs will deal with mucous, but I'd rather see that as opposed to changing a dressing on a leg that is gangrenous. As a doctor for example, you may have to examine the wound, change the care plan, and write a prescription and walk away. It is the NURSE who has to carry out the treatment and deal with that patient on a daily basis. The job sucks, as most people can tell you. Unless you really love people, and were born to be a nurse, you will be headed for a reality check that includes burn out and hatred for the field (and people).

There's a reason why nursing schools always have long waitlists...and yet we are always short of nurses. Think abou it...now why is that? Because most nurses with any potential leave the job as soon as they see how bad it is. There are few male nurses because men generally refuse to work and be abused in such unprofessional conditions. Nurses burn out, get injured, and leave in droves to find another career.

If you have to choose between nursing and RT, go RT. RTs have at minimum 3 year diplomas or 4 year degrees (In Canada at least). RTs are usually highly respected and MDs needing related assistance will ask for them over a nurse. Every MD that I know prefers RTs over RNs when it comes to (cardio)pulmonary care.

Sure nursing has it pros, but it is a highly overrated job in 99% of cases. Most nursing students are disillusioned by propaganda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (312) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

tlpwttm in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California said: I am completely torn between the two of them and don't know which way to go. Both have there good points and there bad points. But you had to choose which one would it be and why? And if you are in either of these fields, could you give some insight.

Both are overworked and underpaid at most large hospitals. RT's are even more underpaid, though! I think a lot of people go into nursing because the pay is really good. once they get there, Some might want to take the pay cut for a different job.
However in nursing, there are far more opportunities for advancement, like a nurse practitioner or anesthetist with huge salary boosts, plus you don't have to do all the yucky stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

RTorRN?? in Stockbridge, Georgia

61 months ago

BOREDRT, may I ask what do you earn per hr? And your work situation such as yrs experience, FT/PT/per diem, etc? Do you like RT? How would you like to advance your career/money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jng1975 in Leander, Texas

61 months ago

Also my hospital is run by HCA look it up. We do indeed use respiratory techs all the time but it is not because we need them, it is a hospital mangement decision to have them there because it decreases our patient load. I can tell this forum is for RT's, but when someone is looking at a career please again look at job postings and count how many nursing jobs are available compared to RT openings. THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS, it is all about money and these and LVN's will be the first to fade out over the years. An RN license gives the hospital the legal right to train and cross train you in many areas including respiratory if need be. Many smaller hospitals are already starting to phase RT out because of cost. Mine still uses them but they have a small office in back and are called only when needed. Sorry to hurt your feelings but you RT's can always bridge over into nursing in college just like an LVN or EMT can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Ded2Med in Yorkton, Saskatchewan

60 months ago

I can only assume that any nurse who feels the need to belittle another career choice speaks volumes about the sorts of people who do this. Nursing is not for everyone. No amount of money or "advancement" can make up for the very real and objective negative issues that plague nursing. I sometimes wonder if these nurses put down RT because they are bitter that they chose nursing as a career. Nurses burnout fast. Doctors often work until they're in their 60s and even 70s. Nurses retire as soon/early as they can. A desk job is the holy grail for a nurse.

Granted, either RT or nursing ideally requires someone who really wants to work in the field. The difference is, those who enter nursing solely seeking big money and "prestige" are going to have a bigger fall from grace than the majority of those who choose RT. As mentioned, most hospital RTs have a combo of highly technical work and don't have to do any "dirty" jobs. Some positions offer a perfect mix of using your acute care skills and downtime. So you might have to use your brain to adjust vents or intubate someone, but you're not running around answering call bells and cleaning bedpans. And yes, this is part of your student nurse and floor nurse career. There is no way around this, even if your goal down the line is NP. RT may not be a dream job for all, but it's technical enough and "clean" enough of a job that most RTs can suck it up for the pay should they find they made a mistake. While the nurses are gossiping, whining, and having it out at the nursing station, you can be in your own office studying for your next career.

And RTs in Canada can work in anesthesia, perfusion, diagnostics, reasearch, etc. so I'm not sure how there's "no advancement". US=same? If you have a 4 year degree (as opposed to 3 year program) you can also apply to med school as university RT programs can include some of the pre-reqs. RN degrees do not, as they have watered down "nursing science" courses meant to train nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

60 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: There are plenty of jobs as a RN every where including Hollywood, FL But ask yourself why are there so many RN jobs? I'll tell you why, the nurses are assigned a high patient load and a ton of paperwork. You never finish on time adn you barely get any appreciation, what you get is the blame for everything that goes wrong and you get treated like crapt most of the time. There is no nursing shoratge, as you can see there is always a waiting list to get into nursing school. What there is, is a nationwide shortage of nurses who are willing to put of with the BS that comes with the job. If I were you I would stay with DH. I'm a RN and I didn't like it and I left it.

Carole RN in Royal Oak, Michigan

25 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I'm doing respiratory.

I am an RN, RRT in Michigan. I busted my butt to become a RN as I was working as an RRT and I am so very sorry I wasted my time. I agree with you 100%, nursing is just a beating mentally and physically. Here in MI, all that is offered is variable shifts or contingent with no benefits. I work in critical care, and your load is 5 pts. No equip, no help, no breaks, just work like a dog and, yes, take the blame for everything. How sorry I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Deb in Phoenix, Arizona

14 days ago

RN in Charlottesville, Virginia said: That’s perfect someone needs to say something in the face of this corporate greed, go on Oprah, tell her, over half of my class has not found a job as a nurse. The Economic Nursing Shortage in the labour market was over a few years ago (ended early 2008) it has come and gone. Some nursing faculty I have talked to say it will not return for another 5-10 years if it will at all. All that is left is this myth that there is a shortage to help hospitals squeeze more money out of nursing salaries and keep people applying to nursing schools so they can take your money and give you nothing in return but a piece of paper you can wipe your ass with. If one wanted to be polite they might call it the theoretical nursing shortage to fulfill their ideal nurse patient ratios which they will never shell out the money to accomplish because of their myopic line of thinking. I have searched for a year and now I have the good sense to move on; I suggest everyone else either go back to get a higher degree (which could put you in much debt) or exit the field. I am going back to the Army where they told me they need combat medics and fuel truck drivers in Iraq and Afganistan can't seem to get hired at all let alone paid decently with this BSN

You are 100% correct! And what is even more unfortunate are the hundreds (probably thousands) of people who lost their jobs in other fields lately who have bought into the "nursing shortage" lie still being told by school admission reps. These people will waste years of their lives and thousands of dollars (many going into debt to do so) and in the end will likely not be able to find a job. My niece even went so far as to get her BSN, so she really took a hit, and hasn't been able to land a job since graduating and getting her license 8 months ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

The comments I pasted above are just a few examples of the difficulty Registered Nurses are also experiencing in finding employment and demonstrates that the RNs working in the field are miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: anyone looking into healthcare DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE FOOLS, they are the bottom of the food chain, if that is what you like in life then go for it. Nurses are on top of the food chain plain and simple. Also your ignorant comment on burnout is not necassarily true, nurses leave for a variety of reason 1. because they can leave and can get a job at the same rate or more tomorrow let's see your ass leave your respiratory job and get another one immediately. Hell a nurse can close their eyes throw a dart at a US map and be working in that town tomorrow YOU CANNOT AND NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO. 2. They go into travel nursing for anywhere from $40-$120.00 per hour 3. They want to start up their own home health agency Etc, Etc, Etc the reasons are endless.
One other thing people this is not CANADA it is the US and your canadian payscale and your healthcare in general sucks ass. I have seen a lot of canadian nurses come here just because of the fact they can make $60,000 here and $30,000 there. Ignorant just plain ingnorant to even dare compare the two.

Nice attitude....Actually, the Docs are at the top of the food chain and everyone else is at the bottom, plain and simple. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RN,RTTHappy in Carthage, North Carolina

60 months ago

....Actually, the Docs are at the top of the food chain and everyone else is at the bottom, plain and simple. Good journey.

I totally agree with you! The physicians are at the top.they tell us what to do...if you want so much prestige go to Med School......I do not understand why some RNs feel they are superior to any other healthcare workers...Been in health care for more than 13 years...I am RN and RRT....I feel like RNs feel they know all...feel sorry for those people who are in delusional Earth... I am going to school now and last thing I want is to be a Nurse Again....love RT field .....the only thing is nurses need to get a reality check because many do not even have chemistry classes...Many nurses live in a bubble that this is the only good career on Earth....Time for reality check ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Oh yes, a few more critiques to continue on your post, jng 1975. I truly hope that you are a troll and not a nurse. Seems like you have reading comprehension problems. Good thing you never had to write the MCAT. I never meant to be nasty, but this seems to be the style that you respond to best.

1.) NPs are at best considered "mid-levels". How you conclude that nurses (RNs) are at the top of anything is beyond me. Inflated ego perhaps? If you are in fact a nurse, are you one of those nurses who has to write every dot and letter after their name to feel secure (I.e. Jane Smith, RN, BSN, DNP, ACNP, SVSYJGG, HSBSYHH#$&, BHGCVBHNN0101)? You don't see MDs list every credential after their name, why do nurses?

2.)Nurses themselves know that burnout is a real problem. There are many papers written on this. Perhaps you want to read a few nursing journals? Do you know why there is always a wait list for nursing schools alongside a nursing shortage? Because many nurses leave the field after a short period of time. Nursing has a high turnover and disability rate. Fact.

3.)You are correct that RTs cannot work just anywhere. But they do fare well in large centres. You can work in trauma transport or start your own services as well. RTs can start their own O2 supply services, similar to a nurse staring a home health business. Similar opportunity, just a different focus. You make it sound like RTs can't do ANYTHING else, which is simply incorrect.

4.)Sorry, but not only are YOUR facts about Canadian salaries wrong, YOUR whole post is ignorant. Again, I hope that you are a troll and not an actual nurse. You guys are starting to scare me. I never once compared salary between the two, YOU did and pinned it off on me, which made no sense. I essentially said that one needs to do what they like. Going into nursing solely for money is probably not a good choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

P.S. jng1975...I wouldn't be so proud of your job as you personally stated that you got it essentially through "affirmative action" being a "minority" in the field...

Nice.

Now go back to your "I am man nurse, hear me roar" rant...insecurity, ignorance, and arrogance is the worst most dangerous combo...

Personally, I think nursing schools need similar screening processes as med schools...a criminal record check is not enough.

My apologies to the hard working kind professional nurses out there, this guy makes you look bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: nurses leave for a variety of reason 1. because they can leave and can get a job at the same rate or more tomorrow let's see your ass leave your respiratory job and get another one immediately.

After leaving the miserable conditions I experienced working with one employer, "Whaaaaahooooo!; Eureka!. I immediately found gold with my current employer, who I am very happy with". Another employer who was given my name by a friend/ex-coworker, called me at my work place to offer a position with them at a higher salary; proving that networking helps. It's all in who you know. This particular employer however has a bad following/reputation and I declined the offer. "Already been there and done that, and I'm never going back". For me, it's not about the money. It's about doing my best and being happy. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist and I work with a good employer. I feel very fortunate. All the best to everyone. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Again folks look how this person IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY that is because there is no money in it. Again if you are in it for the money like 9 out of 10 people are go for nursing

Read my comment more carefully. It seems you missed the part about being offered a higher salary:

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Another employer who was given my name by a friend/ex-coworker, called me at my work place to offer a position with them at a higher salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Again folks look how this person IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY that is because there is no money in it. Again if you are in it for the money like 9 out of 10 people are go for nursing

I am very happy with my current salary. In fact, each year, I earn excellent merit and cost of living increases.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: After leaving the miserable conditions I experienced working with one employer, "Whaaaaahooooo!; Eureka!. I immediately found gold with my current employer, who I am very happy with".

I work side by side with RNs on a daily basis and hear their complaints. I know how miserable their job is. We work for a good employer, so I can only imagine what their job would be like working for a bad employer. "I've been there and have absolutely no desire to be a RN". It's not about the money; no amount can make up for being miserable. Life is too short to be wasting time feeling unhappy. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jng1975, The Respiratory Therapists' comments here reflect they are happy. You're comments do not convey the same. Not once have you said you are happy. In fact, with your attitude, it seems you are as miserable as the RNs I have worked with. It's not about the money. Your salary obviously isn't making you happy. Follow your heart. It will help you find happiness. I wish you well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Food chain Doctors, Nursing and then Allied Health exactly thanks for supporting my statement to those looking into the fields.

Sure, If that "mind set" is what it takes to make you feel better, go ahead and take it. You obviously need it.
I wish you happiness. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

60 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: jng1975, The Respiratory Therapists' comments here reflect they are happy. You're comments do not convey the same. Not once have you said you are happy. In fact, with your attitude, it seems you are as miserable as the RNs I have worked with. It's not about the money. Your salary obviously isn't making you happy. Follow your heart. It will help you find happiness. I wish you well. Good journey.

Oops, correction...."Your comments do not convey the same".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

PADukeStudentDurhamIVYLeague in Sanford, North Carolina

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas - Go to hell and get out of this forum...you problably has nothing better to do than put people down...I bet you are a couch potato, has no relationship and suck in your wonderful nursing profession...I would be unhappy too ...number one I would never live in Leander,Texas it is boring!
Did you ever leave your bubble? How about go overseas? Europe, Africa,Asia,Australia .....even Mexico few hours from you...Open you mind honey...you are living in a box! Think outside the box! Remember...so many other professions in this World makes people happy not only financially ....
They have some nice strip clubs there...anyways...go to Med School if you want be so smart!! I am finishing my PA school and if I work with a dummmmm nurse like you ,I will teach her/him how to respect every one in the profession!
And whatever you say back won't affect me or anyone in this forum ... Remember that on the so fabulous chain you are under my supervision hahaha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jaxfl in Orange Park, Florida

60 months ago

Yeah, this guy jng1975 is sooo incorrect about salaries. Depending on the area and hospital...Respiratory makes more money! I'm in Resp school and have spoken to my preceptors at three different hospitals in Jacksonville, FL... Resp is the superior one over nurses and they make a couple dollars more an hour. Please!! use google as a source for accurate information??!! Seriously, it takes one to do their own homework locally and see what the hospitals pay and talk to others who are in the field. My brother is a Resp therapist and his paycheck is approx $300 more than his Fiancee who is a nurse supervisor in (Chattanooga, TN). jng1975's language in an earlier email was uncalled for and VERY unprofessional! I logged on here last year to see what others said about the field, because I was in the process of changing careers from business to the medical field, and I too thought nursing was the way to go to. I did my homework, and took advice from someone which was work in a hospital since, I had no medical experience. I took a CNA class and a big pay cut to do this. Nurses don't get paid enough to deal with what they have to deal with. Nurses are still in the room helping with bedpans and changing patients. Our hospital protocol was the nurse was not allowed to call the CNA if the nurse was in the room to assist the patient themselves. Anytime we had "complete" patients the nurse and I had to work together to get the job done. Nurses are tired of the patient's family. Also, depending on the nurses CNA, the CNA can make the nurses shift extremely difficult. Patient's are constantly calling for pain medicine when it is not time and nurses complained how the nurse on the previous shift didn't change a dressing. My first week in Resp. school was, "I'll get your nurse for you". I love it! Resp walks away from the crappy stuff! In fact, after I drew my blood gas today in clinicals, the patient needed assistance. I said, "I'll call your nurse".. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BoredRT in Claremont, California

60 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: I am posting here

First of all, if you are going to make a point, please use proper English. It's very difficult to read your statement given that the verbiage you use is somewhat confusing. Don't question the intelligence of individuals solely based on which career they choose. Of coarse monetary incentive is the driving force in most professions, however not everyone wants to be a nurse even though they may have the intelligence to do so. Certainly degrading respiratory therapy (that is the correct term by the way,NOT tech)and x-ray tech by stating that it is an alternative to nursing is greatly offensive. I have a year of organic and general chemistry, biology, microbiology, physics and calculus, and yet I choose to become a respiratory therapist. I also have a master's degree and make over a hundred grand a year as a RT working far less hours and receiving far less disrespect than my nursing counterparts. You come off extremely ignorant, however your point may have been misconstrued due to your poor language skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Lehigh Acres, Florida

60 months ago

Rolinda, I have been reading this forum for a couple of yrs now...I applaud your professionalism when dealing with people and you always have something to offer! Thankyou from a new graduate who will be starting her new job at $28 an hr....night shift which us exactly what I wanted and where I wanted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

james in Irvine, California

60 months ago

unemployable in GA in Duluth, Georgia said: Why can I not find a entry level RT job in metro ATL??I have two years experiance but every hospital I have applied for wants at least 5 years. Are there that many RTs that have 5 years experiance and unemployed? Does anyone have any suggestions

Hi...I may be moving ATL and i really want to pursue a career as a RT. Can you please tell me if there are community colleges that offer this program and how long it usually takes? Is it similar to RN which only requires a 2 yr AA degree? thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

PADukeStudentDurhamIVYLeague in Sanford, North Carolina

60 months ago

Rose in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: Rolinda, I have been reading this forum for a couple of yrs now...I applaud your professionalism when dealing with people and you always have something to offer! Thankyou from a new graduate who will be starting her new job at $28 an hr....night shift which us exactly what I wanted and where I wanted.

HI Rose From Lehigh, I just wanna say that it is nice to meet someone from where I born /grow up...I am from Naples,Fl..I went to Naples High School. I have many friends in Ft Myers. I went to Edison State and FGCU.
I worked for Lee Memorial for 6 years then moved up to NC to pursue my education on Duke University. Duke for got on the list of the 5th best Hospital in the country. Amazing!!
I miss the beach...ahaha
Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Rose in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: Rolinda, I have been reading this forum for a couple of yrs now...I applaud your professionalism when dealing with people and you always have something to offer! Thankyou from a new graduate who will be starting her new job at $28 an hr....night shift which us exactly what I wanted and where I wanted.

Hi Rose, Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. Happy graduation!, and congratulations on beginning your new career as a Respiratory Therapist!. I'm happy you landed the right position with the employer of your choice. Your success will give hope to others and help encourage new graduates experiencing difficulty finding employment. Keep the Faith everyone and never give up. Stay positive and good things will come. I wish you all the best, Rose, and much success in your new career!. Enjoy!. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Nursing sucks, respiratory sucks, and pretty much any allied health job sucks. You will quickly find that with allied health jobs, there is nowhere to go (I'm an RT and doing my best to get out of this field). Sure, with nursing there are more options. But I want nothing to do with nursing, and I surely don't want to become one of those male nurse manager type who walk around with a white lab coat and feel the can question doctors and any one else they want. It's quite comical to see two male nurse managers/CNS standing around with their lab cuts and business attire...myself and the anesthesia residents always have a good time cracking jokes on them. At least there is some fun in the health care business. A lot of nurses go on to NP school. If you like writing prescriptions all day and doing the scut work (think of it as being a resident MD forever), then go for it. But clearly, even RN's don't like there job, or they wouldn't be doing the NP thing. But hey, in a couple years, they will all have to get a DNP (doctor of nursing practice/nurse practitioner), and maybe then they will feel competent. Unfortunately, with the shortage of primary care doctors, we may be stuck with Dr. John Doe, ASN, BSN, CRNP, DNP, ACLS, BLS, CCRN (they love to list all of their credentials...make them feel good and not "just" a nurse).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

RRT in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

I am looking for information about Per Diem pay. I have been a traveler since January at 2 different locations with breaks between. I have a permeant address >50 miles away from the contact hospitals. My hourly rate (taxed) is fairly low and my per diem pay is what makes it worth traveling.
My question is with I be penalized at the end of the year? Will I be taxed on all that $ that was not taxed at the time I was paid? The per diem pay does not exceed the #s I see on the government website.
Can anyone help with info. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rudi in Baldwin Park, California

59 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Stick with NP they can also write prescription where as a PA cannot, leading you to open your own office under the supervision of a Dr.
Also Nurse Anethisists are pulling in 180,000 per year right now, insurance companies love them because they can bill at a cheaper rate. Name any sort of RT that can advance anywhere close to that type of position. EXACTLY

Not true... my PA writes me prescriptions all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Oliv H in Salt Lake CIty, Utah

59 months ago

I think it depends to a large extent on where your interest lies more. Both nursing and respiratory therapy involve a lot of hard work, commitment, perseverance, and a cool head to deal with emergency situations on a daily basis. As far as job prospects, work conditions and pay scales are concerned, both are pretty comparable. You can get more information on the two professions from the website of the U.S. Department of Labor (www.bls.gov/). You can also browse through the courses covered under nursing and respiratory therapy degree programs ( www.stevenshenager.edu/degree-programs.php ) at Stevens-Henager College to see what excites you more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Visalia, California

59 months ago

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Nursing sucks, respiratory sucks, and pretty much any allied health job sucks. You will quickly find that with allied health jobs, there is nowhere to go (I'm an RT and doing my best to get out of this field). Sure, with nursing there are more options. But I want nothing to do with nursing, and I surely don't want to become one of those male nurse manager type who walk around with a white lab coat and feel the can question doctors and any one else they want. It's quite comical to see two male nurse managers/CNS standing around with their lab cuts and business attire...myself and the anesthesia residents always have a good time cracking jokes on them. At least there is some fun in the health care business. A lot of nurses go on to NP school. If you like writing prescriptions all day and doing the scut work (think of it as being a resident MD forever), then go for it. But clearly, even RN's don't like there job, or they wouldn't be doing the NP thing. But hey, in a couple years, they will all have to get a DNP (doctor of nursing practice/nurse practitioner), and maybe then they will feel competent. Unfortunately, with the shortage of primary care doctors, we may be stuck with Dr. John Doe, ASN, BSN, CRNP, DNP, ACLS, BLS, CCRN (they love to list all of their credentials...make them feel good and not "just" a nurse).

Respiratory and nursing suck?
Why are you on a respiratory therapy forum complaining about how all allied health "sucks"? Maybe instead you should be studying for your MCAT; but by the way your conjugate and spell I doubt your making the MD push. I find it extremely disheartening that there are people out there who are bashing their own chosen field. The reason respiratory therapy is in this stagnant mediocrity is because of the lack of quality and intelligence among its practitioners (as demonstrated by this post). The life of a doctor is not for everyone, and I’m guessing like you if that pa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Visalia, California

59 months ago

Continued from last post...
path presented itself most NP’s and PA’s would go to medical school, however healthcare requires facilitators and individuals to actually implement orders, hence the need for allied health. Do us a favor and quit your job and do something else. For the record, ACLS, BLS, ASN, BSN are not credentials, an RN/RRT/CRT are credentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

BOREDRT in Visalia, California said: Respiratory and nursing suck?
Why are you on a respiratory therapy forum complaining about how all allied health "sucks"? Maybe instead you should be studying for your MCAT; but by the way your conjugate and spell I doubt your making the MD push. I find it extremely disheartening that there are people out there who are bashing their own chosen field. The reason respiratory therapy is in this stagnant mediocrity is because of the lack of quality and intelligence among its practitioners (as demonstrated by this post). The life of a doctor is not for everyone, and I’m guessing like you if that pa

"I doubt your making the MD push". I'm sorry, did you mean to say "you're"? Oh, I guess you knew that, considering you're so smart and all.

Why am I on here? To warn potential RT students of the horrible job they're considering. You are right about one thing, though. The lack of quality and intelligence in the RT field is what makes the profession so bad. Well I'm sorry, but I'm not going to wait around for 40 years for the profession to become respectable. The fact is, this profession is taking steps backward rather than forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

BoredRT in Pico Rivera, California

59 months ago

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: "I doubt your making the MD push". I'm sorry, did you mean to say "you're"? Oh, I guess you knew that, considering you're so smart and all.

Why am I on here? To warn potential RT students of the horrible job they're considering. You are right about one thing, though. The lack of quality and intelligence in the RT field is what makes the profession so bad. Well I'm sorry, but I'm not going to wait around for 40 years for the profession to become respectable. The fact is, this profession is taking steps backward rather than forward.

So instead of being part of the solution your simply going to whine and complain? I never said I was super intelligent, however your statement was ignorant and you came off as a jerk. As for the possessive form of "you're", again I doubt you will ever attempt or pass the MCAT so really, it isn't your's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Hi David, I'm sorry you feel this way. Although I have enjoyed working in the Healthcare Field for 13 years, I realize it isn't for everyone. As a (RT)Respiratory Therapist my experience has been very positive. Even while working for a bad employer, I gained valuable technical and critical thinking skills, and knowledge which I draw upon today. Due to the lack of working equipment, I learned to improvise and piece equipment together in order to help each of our patients. I currently work with a good employer whose priority is our patients and I am very happy. Each day is different and exciting. I learn something new from each person I encounter and while using my knowledge and skills, I help all our patients and I'm able to resolve equipment malfunctions. In fact my coworkers perceive me as the go to person for help. I like what I do and I am happy. I encourage everyone to thoroughly research careers they have interest in, choose carefully and remember, no job is perfect. Every profession has negative aspects. David, I wish you well and hope you find what you're looking for. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

LLPA-C in Lancaster, California

59 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Stick with NP they can also write prescription where as a PA cannot,

I got a DEA number that says otherwise!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Dalton, Georgia

59 months ago

I have been so worried if I was making the right choice between Rn and RT. I start the RT program Aug 28th at UTC. I have been in college for 2 years thinking RN and I got accepted into both programs. After reading so many negative comments about rn and rt I have decided Rt is better for me, I am kind of a directive and I like to controll my situation when working, as for respect I dont have to worry about being talked down to because I belive you treat people how you want to be treated and Dr or not I will tell someone in a heart beat to loose the attitude. I have two children with Asthma and I know how helpless a parent feels when their kid cant breath.
Thank You all for your comments.
One question if I get a Bachelors in RT about how much more can pay change if any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coolchicn in Decatur, Georgia

59 months ago

Hello,
I am a nursing student and HATE it. I just feel like nurses work way too hard and yet aren't compensated enough. Besides, its just not something that am passionate about. I am looking at respiratory therapy, I have heard both good and bad about this field although the RTs seem to be MORE satisfied with their jobs than the nurses. On the other hand, there are more opportunities for advancement for nurses, and jobs seem to be more available for them.
So my questions
1. Am I making a huge mistake by leaving nursing for RT?
2. I am an international student and hope to be sponsored by an employer for a green card after I graduate. Is RT a good field for this?
Also when it comes to certification. How soon can I start working after I graduate?
3. Should I go with an Associates degree/bachelors for now? With my student status I need to get a job within a year of graduation.

Any honest opinions will be greatly appreciated! (Preferably from people who actually work in these fields.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Dalton, Georgia

59 months ago

Do what makes YOU happy. You can make 50,000 a year in RT and RN but if you are not happy all that money is in vain. I am studing RT i started as RN but changed and I am happy and glad I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Texas Daddy in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

I have worked as an RRT for over 17 years in Texas, and my RN wife has worked for 16. In the same setting, she will make a few more dollars an hour (38 vs 34), but she will undoubtely do twice the physical work. I can pull 5 twelves a week without a sweat (if I wanted to), while she can barely muster 4 every other week. I know 2 RRTs at my hospital with less experience than me who have made over $120K for the past 3 years, and a few more making over $100K (I am fine with a mere $70K and 4 days off a week since the better half brings that and more).

I get along well with my nurse coworkers, and we have mutual respect. Unfortunately, the worst part of the job is the occasional encounter with nurses like jng1975: bitter, only does charge, won't get off their butt to help the new nurses (who subsequently hate the profession because of it), and generally make everyone around them miserable. For some reason, they think they can order RT to do things, when in fact, we both must obey the physician's orders. The saddest thing is how much the quality of care suffers around them. I love putting nurses like this in their place - especially in front of a doctor with a challenging patient. I can interpret a lab report, or set a pump just as well as an RN (I just can't wipey hiney, or changey beddy, or givey bathy as good - because I don't have to).

As for "not being smart enough" for nursing school - I can name you a fine RN who failed out of the RT program at Texas State (she couldn't get Physics, and a 74% in any RT class got you an "F" and a boot). Like physicians, I also disected human cadavers in school. Not many nurses get to do that. You will have more choices and places to work as an RN, but its not something I would consider doing knowing what I know now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Texas Daddy in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

Oh, and talking with a nurse administrator at a meeting a few months back, I was informed the nursing vacancy rate was around 2%. I don't know if she meant at my job, or DFW in general, but the economy has had many new faces coming to nursing, and a lot of spots have been filled. And those high dollar RTs I know do work 5 tweleves a week (sometimes more). Not too shabby if you need to knock out a major debt, but too much work for my lifestyle (I may do 4 a week one year just to say I make 6 figures, ha ha)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

coolchicn

59 months ago

Amy in Dalton, Georgia said: Do what makes YOU happy. You can make 50,000 a year in RT and RN but if you are not happy all that money is in vain. I am studing RT i started as RN but changed and I am happy and glad I did.

What school in GA are you going to for respiratory therapy? I just started my search for schools

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NewGradHell in Edmond, Oklahoma

59 months ago

I am a newly graduated RN working in the ICU and I hate it. THe pay sucks for the amount of work involved. I am very sad as I have invested a lot of time and money to get a nursing degree. I believe I should go for RT or Radiologic Technology. Is it common for RNs to go back to become RTs? I hate having the responsibility of the entire patient's needs. With RT, I can make similar pay, have less stress, and only have to focus on 1 need...airway management. Can work with technology more than people. I dont like bedside care and I am not particularly interested in obtaining an MSN or teaching. I would practically have to start over to to even apply for CRNA school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Torrance, California

58 months ago

I was in a nursing program up until my second semester and hated it. I loved dealing with the patients during clinicals but hated how the nurses in the hospitals act like it was such an inconvenience for them when patients whine and call on them all the time. Isn't that suppose to be part of their job? I also noticed how most of the nurses can't seem to give the students the time of the day and pretend they are very busy when in fact all they do is lounge around their stations and gossip about people. I decided to quit my RN program because I didn't want to be in a field where the paycheck means more than helping others. All my instructors kept reminding us while in school was "wait until you see your paycheck" and "you will have jobs lining up for you when you graduate". Since when did the nursing profession become so glamorous and greedy? Most of the people in my class were in it for the money. Aspiring to become CRNA's because of the pay but gripes about bedside care. I am making a switch to RT and am hoping I don't get stuck with nurses who hate their jobs and are in it just for the money. I am not generalizing but nurses need to get a grip of themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Torrance, California

58 months ago

And by the way, whoever said that people who go get in RN programs are smarter than other Allied Health field is bull. They don't teach you enough in nursing school to be prepared to save your life let alone that of somebody else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

imastudentnurse in Independence, Missouri

58 months ago

Nursing will make more than RT's even if it's not a lot more..how many nurses are at a hospital versus how many RT's? Sorry it's just basic math and economics:) You will get a job out of school if you're a nurse unless you're a terrible interview or have hygiene issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: There are plenty of jobs as a RN every where including Hollywood, FL But ask yourself why are there so many RN jobs? I'll tell you why, the nurses are assigned a high patient load and a ton of paperwork. You never finish on time adn you barely get any appreciation, what you get is the blame for everything that goes wrong and you get treated like crapt most of the time. There is no nursing shoratge, as you can see there is always a waiting list to get into nursing school. What there is, is a nationwide shortage of nurses who are willing to put of with the BS that comes with the job. If I were you I would stay with DH. I'm a RN and I didn't like it and I left it.
Carole RN in Royal Oak, Michigan

25 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I'm doing respiratory.

I am an RN, RRT in Michigan. I busted my butt to become a RN as I was working as an RRT and I am so very sorry I wasted my time. I agree with you 100%, nursing is just a beating mentally and physically. Here in MI, all that is offered is variable shifts or contingent with no benefits. I work in critical care, and your load is 5 pts. No equip, no help, no breaks, just work like a dog and, yes, take the blame for everything. How sorry I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Deb in Phoenix, Arizona

14 days ago

RN in Charlottesville, Virginia said: That’s perfect someone needs to say something in the face of this corporate greed, go on Oprah, tell her, over half of my class has not found a job as a nurse. The Economic Nursing Shortage in the labour market was over a few years ago (ended early 2008) it has come and gone. Some nursing faculty I have talked to say it will not return for another 5-10 years if it will at all. All that is left is this myth that there is a shortage to help hospitals squeeze more money out of nursing salaries and keep people applying to nursing schools so they can take your money and give you nothing in return but a piece of paper you can wipe your ass with. If one wanted to be polite they might call it the theoretical nursing shortage to fulfill their ideal nurse patient ratios which they will never shell out the money to accomplish because of their myopic line of thinking. I have searched for a year and now I have the good sense to move on; I suggest everyone else either go back to get a higher degree (which could put you in much debt) or exit the field. I am going back to the Army where they told me they need combat medics and fuel truck drivers in Iraq and Afganistan can't seem to get hired at all let alone paid decently with this BSN

You are 100% correct! And what is even more unfortunate are the hundreds (probably thousands) of people who lost their jobs in other fields lately who have bought into the "nursing shortage" lie still being told by school admission reps. These people will waste years of their lives and thousands of dollars (many going into debt to do so) and in the end will likely not be able to find a job. My niece even went so far as to get her BSN, so she really took a hit, and hasn't been able to land a job since graduating and getting her license 8 months ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

The comments I pasted above are just a few examples of the difficulty Registered Nurses are also experiencing in finding employment and demonstrates that the RNs working in the field are miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Our current economy is effecting every profession. Supply and demand dictates the job market. We're all feeling it. Although jobs are difficult to find, there are positions available for resourceful individuals with contacts. Networking helps. Our employer hired a RT graduate with our recommendation who impressed us when she came to our Department and introduced herself. We had an informal interview and she was asked to come back for a formal interview. Not one of the experienced RTs interviewed was hired. Our employer decided to hire the RT graduate, which was an excellent choice. She has turned out to be one of the best RTs I have had the pleasure of working with. She is a great addition to our team. I hope this helps. Stay positive everyone and never give up. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RTor RN? in Grand Prairie, Texas

58 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: I am posting here because a lot of people look to you for facts and for you to compare RN and RT is crazy. Look it's simple folks if you are working in life for money and job stability now and later and you feel you are smart enough go for nursing, nursing school is very difficult though so choose carefully. And yes the doctors will always give a nurse more respect than any allied health position if you are in health care you know this and have accepted it nothing new. Now if you do not think you are quite smart enough for nursing school there are other options xray tech and respiratory tech being 2 good ones. You will never get the same respect or make the same money as an RN no matter what anyone on here says. Do a through search on google and read many many forums the majority of people in the 2 above fields if not established with tenure are having a hard time finding jobs. Notice on top how Ded2Med even says in forum $80,000 year nurses are paid very will then states RT are paid pretty well. Well 9 out of 10 people work for money goofball so you just proved my point. I will take very well over pretty well any day. By the way folks xray tech and RT pays fairly well I would not go as far as to say pretty well but most of what these RT's say on here is inflated anyway.

Wow, what you said is soooo belittling. Even if it is true that RNs are smarter, your statement is RUDE. Did you ever stop and think that there are people out there who are smart enough to become whatever they want, but choose something that may not be as challenging just because they feel it will be a better overall fit for them and they enjoy the work more. Just because someone chooses to be an X-ray tech or RT, does not mean they are not smart enough to be a nurse. I really hope that you do not treat people you supervise with less respect because of your above statement. AND, money is something you need, but it is not everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.