Which is better nursing or respiratory therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 168)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Ded2med in Swift Current, Saskatchewan

66 months ago

Personally, I would always encourage people to choose RT over nursing. The reality is, that unless you are absolutely *positive* that your goal in life is to be a nurse, you will hate the job. The salary and "career freedom" does not make up for the unprofessional coworkers, disrespect, abuse, stress, and working conditions that you must endure every day. As a nurse, not only do you have to push pills with a smile, you also have to wipe people's smelly bottoms, vomit, and other bodily fluids as well. If that's not enough to make people run from nursing, I don't know what is.

Sure RTs will deal with mucous, but I'd rather see that as opposed to changing a dressing on a leg that is gangrenous. As a doctor for example, you may have to examine the wound, change the care plan, and write a prescription and walk away. It is the NURSE who has to carry out the treatment and deal with that patient on a daily basis. The job sucks, as most people can tell you. Unless you really love people, and were born to be a nurse, you will be headed for a reality check that includes burn out and hatred for the field (and people).

There's a reason why nursing schools always have long waitlists...and yet we are always short of nurses. Think abou it...now why is that? Because most nurses with any potential leave the job as soon as they see how bad it is. There are few male nurses because men generally refuse to work and be abused in such unprofessional conditions. Nurses burn out, get injured, and leave in droves to find another career.

If you have to choose between nursing and RT, go RT. RTs have at minimum 3 year diplomas or 4 year degrees (In Canada at least). RTs are usually highly respected and MDs needing related assistance will ask for them over a nurse. Every MD that I know prefers RTs over RNs when it comes to (cardio)pulmonary care.

Sure nursing has it pros, but it is a highly overrated job in 99% of cases. Most nursing students are disillusioned by propaganda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (253) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

66 months ago

That you this was exactly what I wanted to hear from someone. That you for being so honest!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

RRT student in Blythewood, South Carolina

60 months ago

I decided to go with the RT program, I started on Monday and so far the program seems good. My teachers seems to be great and they all know what there talking about, I like that alot considering the fact that we will have paitients lives in our hands! I am considering taking a 12 week program for nursing as well once I complete my RT degree, and work fulltime as a RRT and part time as a nurse. I truly like helping people, I always think of my grandmother when a home health nurse had to and check on her, no matter what condition she was in, that nurse made her feel as if nothing was wrong with her, I will never forget that nurse, so I have respect for both RRT and RN's who respect their patients and make sure they are taking care of!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kmccombs in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

I'm not in it for the money, I have been in the program for a month, however learning the high flow low flow system is overwhelming, but I know that I will get there. I think I am going to stick with this program. Thanks for your input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

empireWeb in Westbrook, Maine

59 months ago

I've been working as an RT for 5 months now. My girlfriend has been working as an RN for 1.5 years.

My school loans = None. Community college =D

Her School Loans = $800 a month

Our pay isn't vastly different. My paychecks are $65 less per pay period then hers.

Though you will run into very many thankless RN's, the education level is obvious when my friends and I all go out to the bars. The RN's all chat it up about bowel movements while my PA-C friend, and Anesthesiologist friend and I are having really interesting conversations....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. K in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

So how's your 5 months coming along. I am haveing a time deciding where i want to work. I been researching Traveling, because I here of the great pay and benefits. Do you know any one travels. Where do you work? Hospital? Doctors Office? I am a little confused as of now we are going over our drugs Sympatomimetics/Anticholinergic drugs and I am finding it quite overwhelming. We have a test on our low flow systems and high flow systems on Monday. I kind of got the swing of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

empireWeb in Westbrook, Maine

59 months ago

Mrs. K in Saint Louis, Missouri said: So how's your 5 months coming along. I am haveing a time deciding where i want to work. I been researching Traveling, because I here of the great pay and benefits. Do you know any one travels. Where do you work? Hospital? Doctors Office? I am a little confused as of now we are going over our drugs Sympatomimetics/Anticholinergic drugs and I am finding it quite overwhelming. We have a test on our low flow systems and high flow systems on Monday. I kind of got the swing of that.

I work in a community hospital located in a "needy" area of town. We have two major hospitals in my area. One is a Magnet & Teaching hospital, the other is my hospital.

I really enjoy working where I do because I am already well rounded. Vents, Swans, ABGs, C-sections, Codes & Rapid Responses, NIPPV, and when I rotate to days we do Bronchs too! The only thing I can say is, healthcare in ANY aspect is a "thankless" profession. If you are looking for respect from co workers, Nurses, or Docs, you need to get in the sh*t and EARN IT.

I have a policy of not second guessing myself and it works well. If you have reason to worry about a patient, talk to the Doc or PA-C about it. More times then not, they will appreciate the input greatly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

tlpwttm in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California said: I am completely torn between the two of them and don't know which way to go. Both have there good points and there bad points. But you had to choose which one would it be and why? And if you are in either of these fields, could you give some insight.

Both are overworked and underpaid at most large hospitals. RT's are even more underpaid, though! I think a lot of people go into nursing because the pay is really good. once they get there, Some might want to take the pay cut for a different job.
However in nursing, there are far more opportunities for advancement, like a nurse practitioner or anesthetist with huge salary boosts, plus you don't have to do all the yucky stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Jazzy S in Fontana, California

58 months ago

Ded2med in Swift Current, Saskatchewan said: Personally, I would always encourage people to choose RT over nursing. The reality is, that unless you are absolutely *positive* that your goal in life is to be a nurse, you will hate the job. The salary and "career freedom" does not make up for the unprofessional coworkers, disrespect, abuse, stress, and working conditions that you must endure every day. As a nurse, not only do you have to push pills with a smile, you also have to wipe people's smelly bottoms, vomit, and other bodily fluids as well. If that's not enough to make people run from nursing, I don't know what is.

Sure RTs will deal with mucous, but I'd rather see that as opposed to changing a dressing on a leg that is gangrenous. As a doctor for example, you may have to examine the wound, change the care plan, and write a prescription and walk away. It is the NURSE who has to carry out the treatment and deal with that patient on a daily basis. The job sucks, as most people can tell you. Unless you really love people, and were born to be a nurse, you will be headed for a reality check that includes burn out and hatred for the field (and people).

There's a reason why nursing schools always have long waitlists...and yet we are always short of nurses. Think abou it...now why is that? Because most nurses with any potential leave the job as soon as they see how bad it is. There are few male nurses because men generally refuse to work and be abused in such unprofessional conditions. Nurses burn out, get injured, and leave in droves to find another career.

Finally there is someone who is positive and really knows about RT. Thanks Sir, for your honest opinion. There are too many people or too many RT's who are spreading negative words on the internet.
We need people like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Pico Rivera, California

58 months ago

Jazzy S in Fontana, California said:

SO spread negatives about nursing not RT? haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

unemployable in GA in Duluth, Georgia

58 months ago

Why can I not find a entry level RT job in metro ATL??I have two years experiance but every hospital I have applied for wants at least 5 years. Are there that many RTs that have 5 years experiance and unemployed? Does anyone have any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

J RRT in Macon, Georgia

57 months ago

unemployable in GA in Duluth, Georgia said: Why can I not find a entry level RT job in metro ATL??I have two years experiance but every hospital I have applied for wants at least 5 years. Are there that many RTs that have 5 years experiance and unemployed? Does anyone have any suggestions

I have 20 years and a good resume/referrences and am still having problems getting a call back around ATL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RTorRn?? in Stockbridge, Georgia

51 months ago

I have payscale questions. What is your avg starting pay(hourly) in Resp Care for new grads? If you have been in the profession a while, how many years and what is your hourly pay now? Please say if you work days, nights, or weekend differential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Visalia, California

51 months ago

RTorRn?? in Stockbridge, Georgia said: I have payscale questions. What is your avg starting pay(hourly) in Resp Care for new grads? If you have been in the profession a while, how many years and what is your hourly pay now? Please say if you work days, nights, or weekend differential.

It depends on where you live (cost of living) and work (subacute/acute/transport...), full time/part time vs per diem. FT/PT new grads in Southern California make around 20-30 an hour, night shift typically add on another few dollars, big range due to all the variables involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RTorRN?? in Stockbridge, Georgia

51 months ago

BOREDRT, may I ask what do you earn per hr? And your work situation such as yrs experience, FT/PT/per diem, etc? Do you like RT? How would you like to advance your career/money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Visalia, California

51 months ago

I have been an RT for almost 10 years, I make in the 40+ range an hour, I also have a BS and Master's degree. I work in education and also the hospital setting but am strongly considering going back to school to either get my Ed.D and work in college administration or even RN school to later become a NP. I am only 30 so I figure I have time. Money will come with experience, but the draw back to respiratory is the limitation to autonomy and versatility; I would probably do RN instead if I had the option to do it all over again, only because of the advancement oppurtunities they have over RT. I like being an RT and luckily where I work I do have autonomy and respiratory driven protocols, we also intubate, place a-lines and have full control over vent management; I just want more I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ded2Med in Swift Current, Saskatchewan

51 months ago

Hi BOREDRT,

If you have a BSc and Masters, plus all of that healthcare experience, why would you get a nursing degree and then apply to an NP program? I think you'd be bored being an NP, most of what they do (at least in Canada) is treat minor and simple conditions like ear infections, public health promotion, etc. NPs don't work in the hospitals here alongside MDs or perform any complex tasks, maybe it is different in the US (we also require RNs to have 4 year degrees and RTs have 3-4 or more years of education, so maybe we are different).

Wouldn't it just make more sense to apply to Medicine with the degrees you already have? I would assume that with a typical BSc you would be able to write the MCAT and have the pre-reqs for meds. You would make much more money and have even more (and better) opportunities as an MD.

Unless you really just want to be a nurse, it makes more sense to me to apply to an MD program. I actually know of an RT would did this. They did a BScMR (RT) and applied to medicine. As long as your grades are competitive your chance is as good as anyone's.

Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jng1975 in Leander, Texas

50 months ago

BOREDRT in Upland, California said: I really have no desire to become an MD. The amount hours per week and additional schooling involved just is not appealing to me. PA or NP just seems like a better fit. I think it is a bit different here in the states, PA's and NP's do work along side docs, in surgery, ER's, private practice, urgent cares and a variety of other situations. My master's is actually in public health and I do enjoy that aspect including research and epidemiology work, having a nursing degree would allow for more advancement, I guess I'm just weird that I'd rather do that then become a doc.

Stick with NP they can also write prescription where as a PA cannot, leading you to open your own office under the supervision of a Dr.
Also Nurse Anethisists are pulling in 180,000 per year right now, insurance companies love them because they can bill at a cheaper rate. Name any sort of RT that can advance anywhere close to that type of position. EXACTLY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

new rt in Thousand Oaks, California

50 months ago

^jin are you kidding me? nurses are trained in respiratory care? nurses freak out and no idea what to do when a vent alarm goes off. we train in cardiopulmonary for 2 years. oh and about PA's not being able to write prescriptions, well my sis is a pa and she writes them all the time bud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

no your sister writes a prescription and the doctor must ok or be in the same location. Nurse practitioner does not need this they can do it on their own. For example look at the redi clinics in grocery stores and Walgreens or CVS. They are staffed not by PA's but by NP's for this reason. Please study your facts before advising people on these careers. On the RT end it is not a bad job but it is by no means any where close to respect given to a RN an any hospital. That is why when hired they are put on the allied science pay scale and nurses are a whole different pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Also my hospital is run by HCA look it up. We do indeed use respiratory techs all the time but it is not because we need them, it is a hospital mangement decision to have them there because it decreases our patient load. I can tell this forum is for RT's, but when someone is looking at a career please again look at job postings and count how many nursing jobs are available compared to RT openings. THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS, it is all about money and these and LVN's will be the first to fade out over the years. An RN license gives the hospital the legal right to train and cross train you in many areas including respiratory if need be. Many smaller hospitals are already starting to phase RT out because of cost. Mine still uses them but they have a small office in back and are called only when needed. Sorry to hurt your feelings but you RT's can always bridge over into nursing in college just like an LVN or EMT can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

50 months ago

I wouldn't worry about RTs being phased out. My Lead has over 25 years experience with our employer and has seen it all, shared some interesting information with me. Years ago, before my time as a Respiratory Therapist our employer trained their RNs to take over Respiratory Care for their patients and closed the Respiratory Department. The RTs were offered training for positions in other areas. Some accepted and others left for different employers. Well, it didn't work out and our employer reinstated their Respiratory Department. Sure, RNs can be cross trained, just as any employee can be, but that training only scratches the surface, RNs do not receive the same specialized education and intense training a RT student experiences during their school program. Understanding concepts is essential to be successful in this profession. I will share my experience 13 years ago when I started my new career as a RT. I was making my rounds and found one of my assigned patients on 2 LPM Oxygen via simple mask, so I changed it out for a nasal cannula, then continued my rounds. Later, I came back to check on this patient and the nasal cannula had been switched back to the simple mask. I found the patient's assigned Nurse who admitted she had switched back to the simple mask, I then explained, due to CO2 retention, the simple mask should not be used at a low Oxygen flow, the nasal cannula would be a better choice. The simple mask should only be used with 6 LPM flows or higher. She appreciated the information. This is just a small example of the difference in our training. In the Hospital I share my expertise with RNs and they share their knowledge and skills with me, which is very helpful while working in the units. We work as a team. I appreciate the RNs I work with, in the Hospital and in the Clinic settings. I couldn't make it through my day without them. RNs have helped me become a better RT. As Healthcare Professionals, we are all essential. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

50 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Also my hospital is run by HCA look it up. We do indeed use respiratory techs all the time but it is not because we need them, it is a hospital mangement decision to have them there because it decreases our patient load. I can tell this forum is for RT's, but when someone is looking at a career please again look at job postings and count how many nursing jobs are available compared to RT openings. THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS, it is all about money and these and LVN's will be the first to fade out over the years. An RN license gives the hospital the legal right to train and cross train you in many areas including respiratory if need be. Many smaller hospitals are already starting to phase RT out because of cost. Mine still uses them but they have a small office in back and are called only when needed. Sorry to hurt your feelings but you RT's can always bridge over into nursing in college just like an LVN or EMT can.

So, Let's see.....(RTs)Respiratory Therapists have a small office in back and are called only when you need them and you use them all the time to decrease your patient load, but it's not because you need them....."That makes absolutely no sense". "Obviously RTs are needed or you wouldn't have to use them". No feelings hurt here. I am very happy with the choice I made. I have been working in the Healthcare Field for 13 years and I have no desire to be a (RN)Nurse. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist in the Hospital and Clinic environments. The variety of procedures my job provides, keeps me interested. All the best to everyone. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Go with nursing, just look at any hospital job list and count how many nursing jobs there are and how many RT jobs there are. Hospital mangement has no respect for RT's and nurses usually run the hospital. This is why RT's are put in a small room in back of hospital. Also with cost cutting in hospitals RT's will be one of the first to go, they do nothing that a nurse is not already trained at doing. They are only hired as a courtesy to nurses to reduce workload. Also don't beleive anything about wiping butts and such yes that is occasional, but we have techs for that. Stay clear of LVN they to will become obsolete and only used in home health. I am a charge nurse for the largest healthcare system in the nation.

Nice attitude. I never had the desire to be a RN and I feel very fortunate to work with wonderful RNs who appreciate my expertise as a RT and who share their knowledge and skills with me. Makes our day much easier for everyone when we work as a team. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in California

50 months ago

bcmpbell in Orange Park, Florida said: Yeah, I didn't appreciate the attitude either. I'm a RT student, and so far I'm enjoying it. My original plan was to be a nurse, but someone recommended that I try a CNA position since I didn't have any medical experience. I worked as a CNA for about a year. The nurses I worked with still assists the CNA's with changing the patients and it was not occasionally either. Sometimes it takes the CNA and the nurse to work together to get the job done. The nurses I saw were overworked and miserable. I personally don't think it's worth the extra money considering what they have to deal with. The patients family is another reason why I chose Respiratory. Whether it's nursing, respiratory or any other career in the hospital, it should be a career that one is happy with. If your in it for the money, I believe the best choice would be an Occupational Therapist, or even a Physical Therapists. Here in Florida, they really make a good salary over nurses.

Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to write! I am actually considering becoming a Occupational Therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Occupational Therapist is a Bachelor's and Physical Therapist is a masters and with shift differential and OT the money is not much different from RN but you out of school debt will be. I have one travel nurse that brought in 120,000 last year with OT. If you want to be a 30 year veteran floor nurse yes you will burn out. On the money end right now this day for example Minnesota nurses are on strike they are bringing in travel nurses at $100 per hour and providing flight, food, and accomodations. California is bringing in travel nurses at $80 per hour and you work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Any carreer in healthcare is awesome if you are a young person you just need to choose carefully and have lots of info. Is money everything hell no but it is why we work. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Occupational Therapist is a Bachelor's and Physical Therapist is a masters and with shift differential and OT the money is not much different from RN but you out of school debt will be. I have one travel nurse that brought in 120,000 last year with OT. If you want to be a 30 year veteran floor nurse yes you will burn out. On the money end right now this day for example Minnesota nurses are on strike they are bringing in travel nurses at $100 per hour and providing flight, food, and accomodations. California is bringing in travel nurses at $80 per hour and you work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Any carreer in healthcare is awesome if you are a young person you just need to choose carefully and have lots of info. Is money everything hell no but it is why we work. Take care.

Appreciate the information. I am curious why California is bringing in travel nurses when we have so many new graduates having difficulty finding employment. It makes more sense to help all our graduates find jobs and gain experience. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTrell in Detroit, Michigan

50 months ago

Can't find a job yet. Graduated in May 2010. Is anyone having trouble finding a job in michigan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Have no idea probably management at work, I will ask next time I am at work. Here in Texas we have same thing plenty of new grads but sometimes on a shift I will work with 3 travel nurses when we could easily hire new employees for the price they get plus the fee to the agency. Makes no sense in administration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tom C. in Canton, Michigan

50 months ago

$80-$100 an hour??? I think someone is exagerating a little bit LOL!!! So there raking in over $200,000 a year??? ......most doctors don't even make that much!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Victory in Sanford, North Carolina

50 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Stick with NP they can also write prescription where as a PA cannot, leading you to open your own office under the supervision of a Dr.
Also Nurse Anethisists are pulling in 180,000 per year right now, insurance companies love them because they can bill at a cheaper rate. Name any sort of RT that can advance anywhere close to that type of position. EXACTLY

YES, RT'S CAN ! I AM DUKE PA STUDENT AND WAS IN RT FOR TEN YEARS! THEY LOVE PEOPLE WITH RESPIRATOTY BACKGROUND.......EXCUSE MY LANGUAGUR BUT MOST NURSES DO NOT KNOW CRAP.....I AM A PA STUDENT AT DUKE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!
PA'S DO THE SAME JOB AS FNP .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Pante in League City, Texas

50 months ago

jng 1975's derogatory language/belitling of others reveal her personality. One wonders how she, as a charge nurse in a large healthcare facility, can manage her surbordinates with decency and respect. I hope her large office at the center of her large hospital can afford her little room to manage her ego well. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ded2Med in Yorkton, Saskatchewan

50 months ago

I can only assume that any nurse who feels the need to belittle another career choice speaks volumes about the sorts of people who do this. Nursing is not for everyone. No amount of money or "advancement" can make up for the very real and objective negative issues that plague nursing. I sometimes wonder if these nurses put down RT because they are bitter that they chose nursing as a career. Nurses burnout fast. Doctors often work until they're in their 60s and even 70s. Nurses retire as soon/early as they can. A desk job is the holy grail for a nurse.

Granted, either RT or nursing ideally requires someone who really wants to work in the field. The difference is, those who enter nursing solely seeking big money and "prestige" are going to have a bigger fall from grace than the majority of those who choose RT. As mentioned, most hospital RTs have a combo of highly technical work and don't have to do any "dirty" jobs. Some positions offer a perfect mix of using your acute care skills and downtime. So you might have to use your brain to adjust vents or intubate someone, but you're not running around answering call bells and cleaning bedpans. And yes, this is part of your student nurse and floor nurse career. There is no way around this, even if your goal down the line is NP. RT may not be a dream job for all, but it's technical enough and "clean" enough of a job that most RTs can suck it up for the pay should they find they made a mistake. While the nurses are gossiping, whining, and having it out at the nursing station, you can be in your own office studying for your next career.

And RTs in Canada can work in anesthesia, perfusion, diagnostics, reasearch, etc. so I'm not sure how there's "no advancement". US=same? If you have a 4 year degree (as opposed to 3 year program) you can also apply to med school as university RT programs can include some of the pre-reqs. RN degrees do not, as they have watered down "nursing science" courses meant to train nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: There are plenty of jobs as a RN every where including Hollywood, FL But ask yourself why are there so many RN jobs? I'll tell you why, the nurses are assigned a high patient load and a ton of paperwork. You never finish on time adn you barely get any appreciation, what you get is the blame for everything that goes wrong and you get treated like crapt most of the time. There is no nursing shoratge, as you can see there is always a waiting list to get into nursing school. What there is, is a nationwide shortage of nurses who are willing to put of with the BS that comes with the job. If I were you I would stay with DH. I'm a RN and I didn't like it and I left it.

Carole RN in Royal Oak, Michigan

25 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I'm doing respiratory.

I am an RN, RRT in Michigan. I busted my butt to become a RN as I was working as an RRT and I am so very sorry I wasted my time. I agree with you 100%, nursing is just a beating mentally and physically. Here in MI, all that is offered is variable shifts or contingent with no benefits. I work in critical care, and your load is 5 pts. No equip, no help, no breaks, just work like a dog and, yes, take the blame for everything. How sorry I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Deb in Phoenix, Arizona

14 days ago

RN in Charlottesville, Virginia said: That’s perfect someone needs to say something in the face of this corporate greed, go on Oprah, tell her, over half of my class has not found a job as a nurse. The Economic Nursing Shortage in the labour market was over a few years ago (ended early 2008) it has come and gone. Some nursing faculty I have talked to say it will not return for another 5-10 years if it will at all. All that is left is this myth that there is a shortage to help hospitals squeeze more money out of nursing salaries and keep people applying to nursing schools so they can take your money and give you nothing in return but a piece of paper you can wipe your ass with. If one wanted to be polite they might call it the theoretical nursing shortage to fulfill their ideal nurse patient ratios which they will never shell out the money to accomplish because of their myopic line of thinking. I have searched for a year and now I have the good sense to move on; I suggest everyone else either go back to get a higher degree (which could put you in much debt) or exit the field. I am going back to the Army where they told me they need combat medics and fuel truck drivers in Iraq and Afganistan can't seem to get hired at all let alone paid decently with this BSN

You are 100% correct! And what is even more unfortunate are the hundreds (probably thousands) of people who lost their jobs in other fields lately who have bought into the "nursing shortage" lie still being told by school admission reps. These people will waste years of their lives and thousands of dollars (many going into debt to do so) and in the end will likely not be able to find a job. My niece even went so far as to get her BSN, so she really took a hit, and hasn't been able to land a job since graduating and getting her license 8 months ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

The comments I pasted above are just a few examples of the difficulty Registered Nurses are also experiencing in finding employment and demonstrates that the RNs working in the field are miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: anyone looking into healthcare DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE FOOLS, they are the bottom of the food chain, if that is what you like in life then go for it. Nurses are on top of the food chain plain and simple. Also your ignorant comment on burnout is not necassarily true, nurses leave for a variety of reason 1. because they can leave and can get a job at the same rate or more tomorrow let's see your ass leave your respiratory job and get another one immediately. Hell a nurse can close their eyes throw a dart at a US map and be working in that town tomorrow YOU CANNOT AND NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO. 2. They go into travel nursing for anywhere from $40-$120.00 per hour 3. They want to start up their own home health agency Etc, Etc, Etc the reasons are endless.
One other thing people this is not CANADA it is the US and your canadian payscale and your healthcare in general sucks ass. I have seen a lot of canadian nurses come here just because of the fact they can make $60,000 here and $30,000 there. Ignorant just plain ingnorant to even dare compare the two.

Nice attitude....Actually, the Docs are at the top of the food chain and everyone else is at the bottom, plain and simple. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RN,RTTHappy in Carthage, North Carolina

49 months ago

....Actually, the Docs are at the top of the food chain and everyone else is at the bottom, plain and simple. Good journey.

I totally agree with you! The physicians are at the top.they tell us what to do...if you want so much prestige go to Med School......I do not understand why some RNs feel they are superior to any other healthcare workers...Been in health care for more than 13 years...I am RN and RRT....I feel like RNs feel they know all...feel sorry for those people who are in delusional Earth... I am going to school now and last thing I want is to be a Nurse Again....love RT field .....the only thing is nurses need to get a reality check because many do not even have chemistry classes...Many nurses live in a bubble that this is the only good career on Earth....Time for reality check ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Oh yes, a few more critiques to continue on your post, jng 1975. I truly hope that you are a troll and not a nurse. Seems like you have reading comprehension problems. Good thing you never had to write the MCAT. I never meant to be nasty, but this seems to be the style that you respond to best.

1.) NPs are at best considered "mid-levels". How you conclude that nurses (RNs) are at the top of anything is beyond me. Inflated ego perhaps? If you are in fact a nurse, are you one of those nurses who has to write every dot and letter after their name to feel secure (I.e. Jane Smith, RN, BSN, DNP, ACNP, SVSYJGG, HSBSYHH#$&, BHGCVBHNN0101)? You don't see MDs list every credential after their name, why do nurses?

2.)Nurses themselves know that burnout is a real problem. There are many papers written on this. Perhaps you want to read a few nursing journals? Do you know why there is always a wait list for nursing schools alongside a nursing shortage? Because many nurses leave the field after a short period of time. Nursing has a high turnover and disability rate. Fact.

3.)You are correct that RTs cannot work just anywhere. But they do fare well in large centres. You can work in trauma transport or start your own services as well. RTs can start their own O2 supply services, similar to a nurse staring a home health business. Similar opportunity, just a different focus. You make it sound like RTs can't do ANYTHING else, which is simply incorrect.

4.)Sorry, but not only are YOUR facts about Canadian salaries wrong, YOUR whole post is ignorant. Again, I hope that you are a troll and not an actual nurse. You guys are starting to scare me. I never once compared salary between the two, YOU did and pinned it off on me, which made no sense. I essentially said that one needs to do what they like. Going into nursing solely for money is probably not a good choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

P.S. jng1975...I wouldn't be so proud of your job as you personally stated that you got it essentially through "affirmative action" being a "minority" in the field...

Nice.

Now go back to your "I am man nurse, hear me roar" rant...insecurity, ignorance, and arrogance is the worst most dangerous combo...

Personally, I think nursing schools need similar screening processes as med schools...a criminal record check is not enough.

My apologies to the hard working kind professional nurses out there, this guy makes you look bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: nurses leave for a variety of reason 1. because they can leave and can get a job at the same rate or more tomorrow let's see your ass leave your respiratory job and get another one immediately.

After leaving the miserable conditions I experienced working with one employer, "Whaaaaahooooo!; Eureka!. I immediately found gold with my current employer, who I am very happy with". Another employer who was given my name by a friend/ex-coworker, called me at my work place to offer a position with them at a higher salary; proving that networking helps. It's all in who you know. This particular employer however has a bad following/reputation and I declined the offer. "Already been there and done that, and I'm never going back". For me, it's not about the money. It's about doing my best and being happy. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist and I work with a good employer. I feel very fortunate. All the best to everyone. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Again folks look how this person IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY that is because there is no money in it. Again if you are in it for the money like 9 out of 10 people are go for nursing

Read my comment more carefully. It seems you missed the part about being offered a higher salary:

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Another employer who was given my name by a friend/ex-coworker, called me at my work place to offer a position with them at a higher salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Again folks look how this person IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY that is because there is no money in it. Again if you are in it for the money like 9 out of 10 people are go for nursing

I am very happy with my current salary. In fact, each year, I earn excellent merit and cost of living increases.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: After leaving the miserable conditions I experienced working with one employer, "Whaaaaahooooo!; Eureka!. I immediately found gold with my current employer, who I am very happy with".

I work side by side with RNs on a daily basis and hear their complaints. I know how miserable their job is. We work for a good employer, so I can only imagine what their job would be like working for a bad employer. "I've been there and have absolutely no desire to be a RN". It's not about the money; no amount can make up for being miserable. Life is too short to be wasting time feeling unhappy. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

jng1975, The Respiratory Therapists' comments here reflect they are happy. You're comments do not convey the same. Not once have you said you are happy. In fact, with your attitude, it seems you are as miserable as the RNs I have worked with. It's not about the money. Your salary obviously isn't making you happy. Follow your heart. It will help you find happiness. I wish you well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: Food chain Doctors, Nursing and then Allied Health exactly thanks for supporting my statement to those looking into the fields.

Sure, If that "mind set" is what it takes to make you feel better, go ahead and take it. You obviously need it.
I wish you happiness. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda

49 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: jng1975, The Respiratory Therapists' comments here reflect they are happy. You're comments do not convey the same. Not once have you said you are happy. In fact, with your attitude, it seems you are as miserable as the RNs I have worked with. It's not about the money. Your salary obviously isn't making you happy. Follow your heart. It will help you find happiness. I wish you well. Good journey.

Oops, correction...."Your comments do not convey the same".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

PADukeStudentDurhamIVYLeague in Sanford, North Carolina

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas - Go to hell and get out of this forum...you problably has nothing better to do than put people down...I bet you are a couch potato, has no relationship and suck in your wonderful nursing profession...I would be unhappy too ...number one I would never live in Leander,Texas it is boring!
Did you ever leave your bubble? How about go overseas? Europe, Africa,Asia,Australia .....even Mexico few hours from you...Open you mind honey...you are living in a box! Think outside the box! Remember...so many other professions in this World makes people happy not only financially ....
They have some nice strip clubs there...anyways...go to Med School if you want be so smart!! I am finishing my PA school and if I work with a dummmmm nurse like you ,I will teach her/him how to respect every one in the profession!
And whatever you say back won't affect me or anyone in this forum ... Remember that on the so fabulous chain you are under my supervision hahaha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jaxfl in Orange Park, Florida

49 months ago

Yeah, this guy jng1975 is sooo incorrect about salaries. Depending on the area and hospital...Respiratory makes more money! I'm in Resp school and have spoken to my preceptors at three different hospitals in Jacksonville, FL... Resp is the superior one over nurses and they make a couple dollars more an hour. Please!! use google as a source for accurate information??!! Seriously, it takes one to do their own homework locally and see what the hospitals pay and talk to others who are in the field. My brother is a Resp therapist and his paycheck is approx $300 more than his Fiancee who is a nurse supervisor in (Chattanooga, TN). jng1975's language in an earlier email was uncalled for and VERY unprofessional! I logged on here last year to see what others said about the field, because I was in the process of changing careers from business to the medical field, and I too thought nursing was the way to go to. I did my homework, and took advice from someone which was work in a hospital since, I had no medical experience. I took a CNA class and a big pay cut to do this. Nurses don't get paid enough to deal with what they have to deal with. Nurses are still in the room helping with bedpans and changing patients. Our hospital protocol was the nurse was not allowed to call the CNA if the nurse was in the room to assist the patient themselves. Anytime we had "complete" patients the nurse and I had to work together to get the job done. Nurses are tired of the patient's family. Also, depending on the nurses CNA, the CNA can make the nurses shift extremely difficult. Patient's are constantly calling for pain medicine when it is not time and nurses complained how the nurse on the previous shift didn't change a dressing. My first week in Resp. school was, "I'll get your nurse for you". I love it! Resp walks away from the crappy stuff! In fact, after I drew my blood gas today in clinicals, the patient needed assistance. I said, "I'll call your nurse".. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BoredRT in Claremont, California

49 months ago

jng1975 in Leander, Texas said: I am posting here

First of all, if you are going to make a point, please use proper English. It's very difficult to read your statement given that the verbiage you use is somewhat confusing. Don't question the intelligence of individuals solely based on which career they choose. Of coarse monetary incentive is the driving force in most professions, however not everyone wants to be a nurse even though they may have the intelligence to do so. Certainly degrading respiratory therapy (that is the correct term by the way,NOT tech)and x-ray tech by stating that it is an alternative to nursing is greatly offensive. I have a year of organic and general chemistry, biology, microbiology, physics and calculus, and yet I choose to become a respiratory therapist. I also have a master's degree and make over a hundred grand a year as a RT working far less hours and receiving far less disrespect than my nursing counterparts. You come off extremely ignorant, however your point may have been misconstrued due to your poor language skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Lehigh Acres, Florida

49 months ago

Rolinda, I have been reading this forum for a couple of yrs now...I applaud your professionalism when dealing with people and you always have something to offer! Thankyou from a new graduate who will be starting her new job at $28 an hr....night shift which us exactly what I wanted and where I wanted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.