RT or RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

DeepInWonderland in Corona, California

16 months ago

Hello,

I am from a family of RNs. And though they are pushing me for it I can't help but lean towards Respiratory Therapy. My mother is completely unhappy as an RN, my sister likes it but she is the complete opposite of me. Whereas I am very sympathetic she is not. I know I would get attached to my patients. My original idea was RT because my son has severe asthma and watching, and helping him through treatments makes me consider doing that as a career with children or people in general. But with this horrible economy I don't know whether I should go with my gut RT or go with the ever so safe RN. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRTSD in San Diego, California

16 months ago

I'm an RRT and I love it! The only downside about this field is the Job Market. I feel there is more opportunity for RNs. I'm currently looking for a Job but the problem is that I am a New Grad and I don't have paid experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeepInWonderland in Corona, California

16 months ago

@RRTSD

Can you tell me more about it? Your schooling and what not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Buffalo RT in Binghamton, New York

16 months ago

Hello, I am a former RN student that switched from RN to RT and I am in my second year (the clinical year)

Nursing....let me tell you something

On this board you will constantly see bitching RT's complain about how bad their job sucks as an RT and how you should go to school for RN....

First off: Nursing is not something you can just wake up and say, im gonna do this as a career because it is a career that has countless options and pays very well....if you're doing RN for that, you are in for a rude awakening.....

Nursing truly is a "calling" more than anything. With Nursing, unless you are sure it's your "calling, you will hate the work, and you will be miserable if you are doing it just for money.

For me personally, I left RN for a few reasons....:

The Salary, upward mobility and career freedom do NOT make up for the unprofessional coworkers, the physical abuse and mental stess you will take. You will take a beating as an RN, far more than as an RT.

the biggest reason why I shy away from Nursing is the fact that the burnout rate is incredibly high.....INCREDIBLY F'N HIGH.....and I found this out quickly in the RN program of how it would be as a Nurse.

I didnt like the cleaning, feeding, butt wiping, bedpans and foleys, and bedmaking aspects of it either.The major thing about Nursing as opposed to Respiratory is that you are responsible for everything with that patient from psychosocially to physically.....and you're reponsible for everyone else's jobs as well.

And as far as the upward mobility everyone speaks of with Nursing such as the high paying Nurse Manager, DON jobs.....those jobs aren't easy to get or keep so ive heard.....but they are there....much more than RC manager positions that tend to get clinged onto like glue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

As far as the school,

Nursing school is brutal....from the clinical work to the book work....unfortunately RN school is not hard because the material is hard....it's hard because it's self taught.....Nursing school follows a self taught model.....basically you will get very vaugue lecture PPT's and instructors who just read off sheets along with off the wall questions on exams.

And at clinicals: you do your thing and then you get a nice Care plan that will take you hours to right. Most of the time at Nursing Clinical I felt useless, and me and my classmates would spend time walking around in circles acting like we were doing something when we weren't and writing our care plans....

RT School for me has been much better....it's nice to be taught stuff for a change and I find it much easier than Nursing school so far.

The hardest part about RT school so far is mechanical vent, which is the bread and butter of the profession.

Peronsally I think the way RN's are educated is a joke and they should really just make all RN program's like Excelsior if Nurse Education will continue to be self taught, and self directed.....its a waste to go to class and have instructors just read off sheets .....honestly you learn everything when you get hired anyways

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Honestly in my opinion Respiratory Care is good field.....it will improve your quality of life and it will at worst be a stepping stone to another field, like PA, Perfusion, maybe even Nursing.

Jobs are tight right now,and that will depend on where you live and if your area is oversatured due to an abundance of schools pumping out new grads, but you will have more job security than most college grads with B.A/B.S degrees.

Honestly the only reason RT's end up going for RN though is either because they want to move up into higher hospital administration, or they want to be a NP or CRNA.

RT is not the only profession that is limiting either....so is Physical and Occupational Therapy and Speech....those jobs have drawbacks too...PT's dont make enough $$ for Doctorate level Education....OT like Respiratory has faced the bogus rumors of being phased out because some people think PT can do OT duties just like some think RN's can do RT....and Speech has the tighest job market.

You're upward and lateral mobility options are limited with PT, OT, and Speech just as much as Respiratory, but with RT you wont be in $70,000 debt.

RN has more opportunities than any field in health care, but the question is....is Nursing your calling, and can you survive in the field that has one of the highest diability rates and turnover rates to move up???

Therefore, I would always encourage anyone not to choose Nursing, but PT, OT, RT, Medical Technology, ....anything but RN unless it truely is your passion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Also, one more thing on Respiratory....I noticed that you're (meaning the OP) in California.....I should point out that Geography and where you live is Huge for a Respiratory Therapist because:

#1.)Supply and Demand will influence the RT job market....pay rates and what they do...you dont want to live in an oversaturated area, but you also want to live in a good sized metro area.

#2.) RT's main purpose is to take pressure and complex tasks away from RN's who are loaded with patients to increase efficency...this is why RT's exists as a profession.....So RT's are best off in large cities/metro areas where there are more people and thus more potential patients as opposed to rural areas where they aren't needed as much

#3.) RT's are best off from my research in cold to cool climate, large metropolitan areas as opposed to the South or parts of rural America...

In Los Angeles....LA is not a good place for Respiratory Therapists since it is the most oversatured market for RT's in the nation....Northern Cal near SF-SanJose is much better.

If your area is flooded with RT programs like LA, or everywhere in Ohio, and Indiana, then jobs and wages will be down...but in LA particularly, RT jobs are not there and even the pay is lower even by LA Standards.

And thats another thing....the climate and weather....they say Winter is RT seasons, so if your gonna be an RRT....you'd be best off where Winter occurs (meaning avoid the Sun Belt at all cost)...
Most importantly, as I said RT's are best off in Cool-Cold Climates in large metropolitan areas. Generally the pay is better, more jobs, more advancement opportunities into management tend to be availabe along with teaching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

So, i'd say the best places for RT's in the U.S are: the Pacific NW (Seattle & Portland), Alaska, Colorado, Minnesota (Minneapolis, possibly the best state for an RT), Chicago (lots of advancement opportunites in Chi), Wisconsin, Any of the New England states, Philadelphia, New Jersey, NYC, Baltimore and DC and Detroit. New York State is also very good for a Respiratory Therapist in terms of pay if you can land a job in Upstate NY

The Colder the weather the better as an RT, with an exception of Pittsburgh due to UPMC's borderline monopoly on health care.

I'd stay away from Los Angeles as an RT at all cost.....there are many disgruntled RT's on this forum and many are from there...i;d also stay away from the South and Soutwest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

16 months ago

Wow ... Already putting in your 2cents and your still a Student RT.
One thing I cannot stand is a bitchy little student who trys to speak up or give his/ her perception of what a Real RT does.
1st -- Seattle/Portland is not good for new grads nor formost any RT that does not know the area or graduated from here. Seattle is flooded with new grads since there are 2 schools also Portland area.If you did not go to school in the area or know someone you will not have a chance. Also one hospital chain in Tacoma the RTs do not work the floor/ER or NICU(sourced out)they only work the ICU and they do CNA work also.
Cold weather use to be the main source of our work(flu/rsv) not anymore, seasonal allergies like in Austin make it worse, Copd etc and the heat is what exacerbates the issue.
Colorado same there they are not big on hiring new grads.
Dallas and most of the other cities also not big on new grads and its really "Who" you know.
Alaska- Goodluck on that one, High cost of living, pay is average and food prices through the roof and then comes winter -dark 5mo or more in the winter with below freezing temps.
Not sure what school or online your going to but there giving you a lot of kool-aid.
YOur still in clinicals and you have seen nothing yet in the real world of RT and your seeing it through student glasses . Reality is when nurses screw up ie: over medicate a pt who is called to fix their mistake -- RT, who is thrown under the bus--RT, if and the budgets do get cut it always RT/X-ray etc. Which dept is usually in the basement- RT. I have been around the block to many times and have seen al this and more to be shoved into the basement or have your office with no windows etc.
** Yes any career is a calling and not everyone is cut out to be a Nurse/PT/OT/ RT or even a Police officer or Paramedic**
But to say most of or some are bitching, again you have NO say in how we vent on here, Respiratory has the highest burnout rate vs Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Most and have to half of us have been RTs longer than most on here and I know a lot that have been RTs since you were in diapers. Staying in is a choice and sometimes it has become comfortable since and you will come across RTs that are OJT and they are the ones to learn from since they have seen a lot of changes and are the back bone of the field. Most or should I say know and have met the ones that your learning about or have in school. Kacmarek, Bird and others.
So do not get on here and say all we do it b..... and complain about Respiratory when you have not spent one day in the field or 14 or 30 yrs. Clinicals do not count! The world of RT is very small and like us old timers , we know a lot of other RTs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

In regards to pay, again to much Kool-aid.
To be a D.O.N you have to have years of experience in all areas mostly also a Masters degree. NP a Masters and now a PHd
PT/OT make 1/2 more than we do with more needs in their field than ours, medicare recognizes PT/OT for homecare payments not for RT.
I think you need to check you salary facts on PT and with a PHd in which states they are the Doctor same as a NP know having a PHd, they can do everything a Doctor can with the backing of an MD, hence the reason since the slow reduction of Primary Care Physicians.
Note that recent and past studies stated that RTs have the highest new amnounts of asthma due to what we breath in during neb tx's!

From AARC times:
In hospitals
Health care workers are not exempt from risk either. A recently published study noted that 6% of health care workers report new onset of asthma after entering their occupation.7 Respiratory therapists are among the highest in number who have an elevated risk of respiratory symptoms as a result of work-related exposures. In a Canadian study, when compared to physiotherapists, respiratory therapists had twice the number of nocturnal symptoms, wheeze, asthma attacks, and asthma being diagnosed after entering the profession. Asthma is associated with hospital-based medical instrument cleaning, general cleaning, use of powered latex gloves, and use of aerosolized medications.8

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Those reading there are some grammaar errors. note: I am at work and the computer here well s..cks so typing is off some...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Buffalo RT in Rochester, New York

16 months ago

Mark,

With all due respect, im not some snot nosed little teen right out of high school.....being an LPN for 12 years now...No disrespect sir, but I have seen quite a bit myself, in my time as an LPN because the topic here is LPN.

Everything varies on a facility to facility basis and everything depends on your area, and supply and demand...and it sounds like to me like your a battle tested vet who's in been in a bad work environment...

Yeah the RN's have loads of opportunities for advancement into management, but there's a reason why there are so many of those positions available. And as far as RT's having a higher burnout than Nurses....strongly disagree....you have No idea what it takes to be an LPN or an RN. There's a reason why there are tons of schools with miles long wait lists pumping out 60-70 new grads and yet we still have ton's of job openings.

When I made the decision to go to school for RT instead of RN, as a seasoned Nurse, it wasn't a tough choice for me. My uncle is an RT and of course that is how he met his wife who is an RN. Ive seen what they do, not as much as you have, but I think this is something I could do and this is something i'd rather do than Nursing.

Just saying, ....unless you really love the field of Nursing....you will hate the job. You are responsible for everything with that patient from physically to psychosocially.....you are also responsible for everyone else's job from PT, OT, RT, and the MD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

And as far as jobs Mark, the grads in my area get jobs....

FYI/.....every profession right now is struggling with Jobs

Yes Even Nursing.....I know plenty of New Grad RN's who graduated in January and they still are unemployed or only working per diem or in a lower paying job in a doctors office....and the ones that did get jobs as you knew somebody.

If you think Nursing is one bit immune to the economy,you're sorely mistaken. And personally, I would never tell anyone to go into that field.

Everything else....X-Ray, Anything Radiology, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, Sonography, Speech Pathology ....honestly in my area, all of those fields are flooded in the job market. Good Luck There

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

"PT/OT make 1/2 more than we do with more needs in their field than ours"

"I think you need to check you salary facts on PT"

What I said was: Physical Therapists do NOT I repeat DO NOT make enough cash for the amount of education they are pushing for now.

Same thing with Occupational Therapy.

"PT makes half more than we do??"

That may be true in your area, but in my area and many others that is not the case.....

The Starting wage for a Respiratory Therapist at my facility is : 24.82/hr or roughly near 50k and max at 60-65k

The Starting Wage for a Physical Therapist is 29.56 and they max at 37...so roughly start at 55k to a max 75 to 80k/ yr

So you're saying half as much?? im not seeing it.....but that may be the case in your facility.

My point is...cleary the PT makes more, but you tell me where the value is for a majority of people to pursue PT??

And btw Mark you need to check your facts on the DPT

DPT does NOT= MD .....maybe in practice but NOT in Salary ( And that's what matters to a lot of people right?? Because Salary equals respect right???)) thats for damn sure..the movement towards the DPT has helped the job market and keep the numbers down at best, but it has NOT advanced the salaries to the equal of the MD by any means.

As a PT or an OT, unless you can get into a cheaper public university which are all highly competitive.... you'll take on more college loan debt than what you will make in a year and you'll be paying it off for the next 20 years of your life...

I had a friend who did the DPT at Daemen college.....90,000 of tuition for the grad program alone, plus the undergrad work tuition there...Plus the amount of loans that needed to be taken out on top of that to live on because youre not working in that program.

She graduated with roughly 140,000 of debt.

Most RN's and RT's dont come anywhere near that number because it's a two year program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Bottom line, RT is a good field....After my expeirence as an LPN I would never reccommend Nursing to anybody.

But no matter where you are, being such a vital part to the team, they are underpaid....all health care workers are

But RT's do not get the respect they deserve......You wont be recognized what so ever if you go be an RT....that I knew from the beginning.

But Im not gonna lie, I think RT is a good field, I like it, but honestly, I too like every other RT will want a little more out of life.

RT will give me that stepping stone to PA school, or even Echocardiography

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

YOU need to check your facts on burn-out. As long as I have been a RT and those and yes I know more RT's and Nurse's than you will ever know, in our feild it is well known that we burn-out faster. We have to handle every dept in the hospital, walk numerous miles a day,deal with directors,Doctor's,family's, Nurse's,Lab,X-ray and even Management with all that. Then on top know over 100 pieces of equipment, expect to fix all of them and on top fix a Abg machine.
Then add then vents and ICU stress.
RTs burn-out 5x faster, proven facts from studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Buffalo RT in Cortland, New York

16 months ago

Ok, show me those studies where RT's are more burnt out than RN's

"As far as your friend either shes a moron or perhaps lazy because every PT I know makes great money and to graduate with 140k in debt all I can say is WOW! PT's have more travel ,more opportunities to advance and run their own Physical therapy and Rehab. "

Well it's becoming apparent that you can't read...
PT School and pursing a doctorate education is expensive, unless you can get into a cheap college.....a public university and if you wanna be a PT, good luck with that

And btw, AS I said before, you apparently are illiterate and can't read, I did say she had to take out additional loans to live off of as well because your not working and going to PT school.
And yes, you can run your own PT and Rehab clinic....but good luck starting up you're own business...it's not easy.

And yes PT's in my area start out at around 55 to 60.yr and cap at 70-80.

I also know the DMC...Detroit MC pays 60-80k....you can go onto their careers page to look that up for yourself you a$$h***

And just to check your facts....PT's do not get ph.d...ph.D is a research degree...it's called a DPT or Doctor of Physical Therapy

AND MOST OF THESE PROGRAMS ARE HOUSED AT VERY EXPENSIVE PRIVATE SCHOOLS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

And as far as me not being a real nurse.....Wow you are just a regular POS aren't you??.....Sorry that for cash reasons, my profession is being restricted to home health now....

I hate to break it to you, but there is nothing an RT does that an LPN or RN can't.....your job is not rocket science and only exists to help take the load off Nurses who are more than capable of doing Respiratory Therapy.....and im going to school for Respiratory Therapy because it's just that.....it's nowhere near as tough as Nursing most of the time, it also makes financial sense and I get bang for my buck and I enjoy doing my thing and leaving the room and not being involved in all the other hand's on psychosocial and emotional stuff along with the physical abuse you take from all the lifting. Nursing is a back injury waiting to happen.

But I can assure you Ive done more "REAL Nursing than you will ever do"....and trust me, I can tell you wouldnt last 5 seconds in this profession.

This past week I have had patients with trachs, g-tubes, j-tubes, IV meds, foley caths, supra pubic caths, pacemakers, defibs, ESRD, psychotics, s/p all kinds of surgeries and one death. That was just this week. I have 23 patients on my team with 2 or 3 cna's and me - the NURSE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Im gonna leave now, but you're clearly just a nasty burnt out hag who's trying to start trouble because he's miserable in his own job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeffrrt-nps in Corning, New York

16 months ago

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there said: Seattle/Portland is not good for new grads nor formost any RT that does not know the area or graduated from here. Seattle is flooded with new grads since there are 2 schools also Portland area.

I can't agree with you on the Seattle job market. I am a Respiratory Therapist of over 16 years and a well traveled one. I am orginally from Philadelphia, graduated from school in 1997 got a job at Temple and stayed there for almost 7 years. I relocated with my wife to Miami in 2006 so she could be closer to her family. Boy was I unprepared for the hardships that would follow. It took me over a year to find a job when I finally got hired at Jackson Memorial Medical Center. I took a massive pay cut making north of 31 bucks per hour, and then when I got this new job at Jackson, I was offered 21.....and the disrespect I felt in this new position was astonshing. At my old job at Temple, I felt like an important, critical part of the team. In Florida, I felt like a pee-on, and let me tell you something else....I quickly learned I was that the RN's were over me. Degrading right?? Then I learned the true value of a job, when I was laid off in March of 2012 as apart of budget cuts, and as you said Mark, RT is the first to go.

My wife is a Medical Assistant and trust me, she does not bring in anywhere near what I was making. So where did this leave me? In a pinch, about to lose our house, I gave a call to my brother, who's an Nurse Manager who also lives in the Seattle area who knew a guy who was a friend of his at the University of Washington Medical Center who would get me a job. Man was I lucky. So as far as the jobs, I don't know it would be had I not of knew someone, but the job market here seems better in this area as opposed to Miami/Ft.Lauderdale but it's surely better here in Seattle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Jeffrrt-nps in Corning, New York said: I can't agree with you on the Seattle job market. I am a Respiratory Therapist of over 16 years and a well traveled one. I am orginally from Philadelphia, graduated from school in 1997 got a job at Temple and stayed there for almost 7 years. I relocated with my wife to Miami in 2006 so she could be closer to her family. Boy was I unprepared for the hardships that would follow. It took me over a year to find a job when I finally got hired at Jackson Memorial Medical Center. I took a massive pay cut making north of 31 bucks per hour, and then when I got this new job at Jackson, I was offered 21.....and the disrespect I felt in this new position was astonshing. At my old job at Temple, I felt like an important, critical part of the team. In Florida, I felt like a pee-on, and let me tell you something else....I quickly learned I was that the RN's were over me. Degrading right?? Then I learned the true value of a job, when I was laid off in March of 2012 as apart of budget cuts, and as you said Mark, RT is the first to go.

My wife is a Medical Assistant and trust me, she does not bring in anywhere near what I was making. So where did this leave me? In a pinch, about to lose our house, I gave a call to my brother, who's an Nurse Manager who also lives in the Seattle area who knew a guy who was a friend of his at the University of Washington Medical Center who would get me a job. Man was I lucky. So as far as the jobs, I don't know it would be had I not of knew someone, but the job market here seems better in this area as opposed to Miami/Ft.Lauderdale but it's surely better here in Seattle.

But overall for you it was luck and see it was who you knew in the area. I was told many years ago that Seattle was a tough area to break into as there are 2 schools there( apollo and not sure of name of other)but I tryed and nothing so onto more travel and overall has been up and down but good. But yes FL is bad for jobs/pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

16 months ago

Yep.

UM Jackson had tons of layoffs and that hospital system is poorly mismanaged with lots of fraud going on.

RTstudent in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there said: YOU need to check your facts on burn-out. As long as I have been a RT and those and yes I know more RT's and Nurse's than you will ever know, in our feild it is well known that we burn-out faster. We have to handle every dept in the hospital , walk numerous miles a day,deal with directors,Doctor's,family's, Nurse's, Lab ,X-ray and even Management with all that. Then on top know over 100 pieces of equipment, expect to fix all of them and on top fix a Abg machine.
Then add then vents and ICU stress.
RTs burn-out 5x faster, proven facts from studies.

Please may I know what degree you have and which school you went to? Are you currently working as an RT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Dulles in Mclean, Virginia

14 months ago

Mark, you're the biggest pu**y I've ever seen on this board. Let your location know, so everyone can know what a little bi**h you are. You are a troll, abusive and frankly, no one wants to hear your sh*t. Stop bashing people and f**k off. No wonder you can't get another f**king job, you're a miserable sack of s**t.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

John Dulles in Mclean, Virginia said: Mark, you're the biggest pu**y I've ever seen on this board. Let your location know, so everyone can know what a little bi**h you are. You are a troll, abusive and frankly, no one wants to hear your sh*t. Stop bashing people and f**k off. No wonder you can't get another f**king job, you're a miserable sack of s**t.

I have been reading all his comments, and I must say that he is so unprofessional. He abuses anyone that talks good about respiratory therapy. He needs to understand that the fact he is not successful as an RT doesn't mean that others will not be. If RT is not a profession, then why are hospitals still hiring them? Worst of all, he renders insults on people. My friend who just graduated in May with a BS has started working and making $29/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there said: "To the Pi..y Little LPN, first of all you ARE not nor were a Nurse.
If a LPN trys to tell me what to do I would dismiss them and walk away and to add LPNs are fading faster than our economy. LPNs are no longer used on the westcoast and throughout TX"

Mark RCP you are so arrogant. If LPNs are not nurses, then what are they? They are Licensed Practical Nurses, so they are professionals. Don't let your frustration bring out the worst in you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Buffalo RT in buffalo, New York

14 months ago

Carole RN in Royal Oak, Michigan
Here is a quote from another poster who was an RT who transistion to RN....

63 months ago
magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I'm doing respiratory.

"I am an RN, RRT in Michigan. I busted my butt to become a RN as I was working as an RRT and I am so very sorry I wasted my time. I agree with you 100%, nursing is just a beating mentally and physically. Here in MI, all that is offered is variable shifts or contingent with no benefits. I work in critical care, and your load is 5 pts. No equip, no help, no breaks, just work like a dog and, yes, take the blame for everything. How sorry I am."

14 months ago

RTstudent in San Antonio, Texas said:

Im the Pissy little LPN that Mark insulted.....and I was trying to give the OP valubale career advice on LPN having done it for years upon years and then... I am now in RT school and I love it ....plus in my area of Buffalo, NY....there is a demand as our cold climate fuels the work here.

The majority of the grads in my schools upper class of 23 all found work........how do I know this for sure....#1 is on the NBRC website and #2....ive met all these students personally

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

RT has issues but it's not the only feild with issues:

PT: Academic inflation( excessive education to doctorate level has done zilch for PT except keep numbers down...Grad school is expensive and many new grads graduate with 50-100k of loan debt) and PT's dont make the money to justify it....At my facility RT's make 24 and PT's make 29....plus its the field with the second most back injuries

OT: Is being encroached by PT constantly and has a lot of overlap in the field. It has many of the same issues PT has with academic inflation and they have little advancement and dont make the money to justify the ed.

X-Ray, Sonography, Radiation: Flooded fields

14 months ago

Anyone thinking about going into nursing needs to REALLY understand how stressful and how chaotic it is.

There are now over 500,000 deaths yearly due to medical errors. Most of what I have heard comes from new nurses

Are you going to become the person that says "go for it" or are you going to be one of the people that regrets it. Even the nurses that "love nursing" may exhibit burn out. I have worked side by side with people that say they love nursing the way some have here. Many of those are burned out and cruel and deny it. They are mean and nasty to new nurses and co-workers. They are in denial that they are miserable and negative.

And as for the work: The main population of patients in the hospital is obese people who didn't take care of themselves and are very ill. They are heavy care and very sick. The second is geriatrics. Of these two populations, most of them either can't or won't take care of themselves and staff does all of their care.

Hard - cold fact....obese people tend to have months worth of fecal matter in them - the longer it hides out, the worse it smells when it gets out. If they have skin breakdown, healing is poor due to their chronic problems of obesity, poor vascular, poor cardiac and diabetes. Poor healing wounds smell bad. These people can't wipe their own butts - this becomes your job. Obesity causes skin folds and those grow yeast and smell bad. They might have poor hygiene and no matter what you can't get rid of their odors. Often times, patients are depressed and have no will to live. You do everything for them and they do nothing for themselves. Geriatric patients that gave up on life and won't move around

Couldnt pay me enough to go get my RN and stay in Nursing....i'll take my chances with Respiratory

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

RTstudent in San Antonio, Texas said: I have been reading all his comments, and I must say that he is so unprofessional. He abuses anyone that talks good about respiratory therapy. He needs to understand that the fact he is not successful as an RT doesn't mean that others will not be. If RT is not a profession, then why are hospitals still hiring them? Worst of all, he renders insults on people. My friend who just graduated in May with a BS has started working and making $29/ hr .

I see you are in San Antonio. I am close by in Houston.

Are you still in the program? If yes, email me at ebusiness66@yahoo.com. I think I can help you sail through the program smoothly. Let me know. Just email me.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.